inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: NHL STANLEY CUP! Who will win it?

Written By: McDonald on 06/03/07 at 11:22 am

So we're over with game 3 and the series stands 2-1 Anaheim - Ottawa... Who's going to take the cup home in your opinion? It looks like Ottawa is finally back in the series with their win last night (a 5-3 win). Naturally, I want the Canadian team to win, but do you think we can pull it off? Any hockey fans out there?

Subject: Re: NHL STANLEY CUP! Who will win it?

Written By: loki 13 on 06/03/07 at 12:02 pm

I'd like to see Anaheim simply because Teemu Selanne deserves it. Other than that I want Ottawa. If the Ducks
win it will be the third consecutive year a sun state and a bad market wins the cup, their parade could held in a
phone booth. It a shame too, because it's been a good series so far.

The NHL should drop to 16 teams and cater to the cities that actually follow hockey. By trying to stretch the fan base
the NHL is pricing themselves right out of business.

Written By: La Roche on 06/03/07 at 2:25 pm

With any luck Ottawa will win.

Hockey isn't for California, it's Canadian... and.. North Eastern.. and.. Mid-Western.. and... North-Western.. Ok, everywhere but the south!

Written By: nally on 06/04/07 at 1:22 am

Well...being the California native that I am, I hope to see the Anaheim Ducks win it.

Written By: whistledog on 06/04/07 at 4:09 am

If Ottawa wins, the fans in Canada will go crazy.  Us Canucks love our hockey!

Hockey isn't for California, it's Canadian... and.. North Eastern.. and.. Mid-Western.. and... North-Western.. Ok, everywhere but the south!

LOL this is true

I saw a report on the news where they compared the playoffs coverage in California vs. Ottawa.  In the Ottawa Citizen, news about the playoffs was on the front page of both the main section and the sports section.  In the Los Angeles Times, the only mention of the playoffs was a small blurb on page 5 of the sports section ;D

Written By: loki 13 on 06/06/07 at 9:11 pm

It looks like Ottawa didn't come to play tonight. Strange for a team of their caliber, facing elimination, to
take the night off. Still a lot of time left, 14:00 minutes in the third, but unless Ottawa does something drastic
the cup is going to the Ducks.

Written By: whistledog on 06/06/07 at 9:25 pm

Less than 7 minutes left.  No way can Ottawa come back from this :\'(

Written By: nally on 06/06/07 at 11:56 pm

So it looks like the Ducks won it! :D (My apologies to those cheering for Ottawa.) I know it was 5-2 at one point in the 3rd period, but I didn't catch the final score.

Written By: whistledog on 06/06/07 at 11:58 pm

So it looks like the Ducks won it! :D (My apologies to those cheering for Ottawa.) I know it was 5-2 at one point in the 3rd period, but I didn't catch the final score.

I'm glad the game wasn't held in Ottawa.  The fans would have rioted like crazy.  Hockey in Canada is like breathing for everyone.  You can't live without it ;D

Written By: nally on 06/07/07 at 12:01 am

I'm glad the game wasn't held in Ottawa.  The fans would have rioted like crazy.  Hockey in Canada is like breathing for everyone.  You can't live without it ;D

That's true, they most likely would have. However, when the Lakers won the NBA finals in L.A. seven years ago, there were riots galore outside the Staples Center in downtown. :( The following two years, however, the Lakers clinched the championship on the road.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/07/07 at 9:40 am

It's officxal, the Ducks won this year.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/07/07 at 10:43 pm

It's officxal, the Ducks won this year.

WTF.

Written By: limblifter on 06/08/07 at 12:33 pm

Hot goaltender, best one-two defensive punch in hockey, and enough size to physically manhandle and wear down every team they faced. Brian Burke proved to everyone that you don't have to sacrifice grit and size when putting together a team in the new NHL.

I loved this team. Even though I live close to Ottawa, I couldn't help but cheer for the Ducks. I just love their style of play.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/08/07 at 4:21 pm

Hot goaltender, best one-two defensive punch in hockey, and enough size to physically manhandle and wear down every team they faced. Brian Burke proved to everyone that you don't have to sacrifice grit and size when putting together a team in the new NHL.

I loved this team. Even though I live close to Ottawa, I couldn't help but cheer for the Ducks. I just love their style of play.

I am not objecting to their style of play, just the fact that they're from Southern California :D

Written By: limblifter on 06/08/07 at 5:08 pm

I am not objecting to their style of play, just the fact that they're from Southern California :D

It's funny, I think that most canadians aren't upset with the fact that an american team won the cup. I think what upsets most is that no one seems to care. I think of it as liking a girl who is with another man who neglects her, and you keep repeating to yourself "This sucks! If she was with me I would give her the attention that she deserves".

HABS IN 2007-2008!!

Written By: statsqueen on 06/11/07 at 5:53 pm

I just found out today that Chris Kunitz (#14) got to play in the last game or 2 of the series (he was out w/ an injury the first game or 2).  And he got to hoist the cup.  He was the cornerstone of Ferris State University's hockey team and the reason they made CCHA playoffs for the first time while he was a student there (that's where I work).  Since the Wings weren't in it, I'm glad the Ducks won.

Written By: SemperYoda on 06/12/07 at 6:47 am

Im an Avalanche fan myself.  I feel bad for Quebec, but im glad I found an NHL team I can route for.  I despise Detroit though. 

Grats to the Ducks.  Im happy they changed their name as well. 

Southern states having hockey teams is not anything new.  The minor leagues have had southern teams for awhile now.  I dont think its the expansion to these states that is causing a problem, I think its the lockouts that hinder the sport.  Last years lockout was detrimental for the league I think.  I watched hockey alot before the lockout, this last year I really didn't pay attention except to check on yahoo to see how my team was doing.  When they didn't make the playoffs, I lost interest even more.  I feel bad because hockey is probably my favorite sport to watch besides American Football.  I do not like the NBA, but I enjoy watching basketball.  Hockey is just more exciting to me.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/15/07 at 1:02 am

Im an Avalanche fan myself.  I feel bad for Quebec, but im glad I found an NHL team I can route for.  I despise Detroit though. 

Grats to the Ducks.  Im happy they changed their name as well. 

Southern states having hockey teams is not anything new.  The minor leagues have had southern teams for awhile now.  I dont think its the expansion to these states that is causing a problem, I think its the lockouts that hinder the sport.  Last years lockout was detrimental for the league I think.  I watched hockey alot before the lockout, this last year I really didn't pay attention except to check on yahoo to see how my team was doing.  When they didn't make the playoffs, I lost interest even more.  I feel bad because hockey is probably my favorite sport to watch besides American Football.  I do not like the NBA, but I enjoy watching basketball.  Hockey is just more exciting to me.

I believe it is a combination of the terrible labor agreement/lockouts, terrible leadership (vis-a-vis the commish from Hell) and the fact that nobody in Nashville or Tampa Bay cares that they have a hockey team unless they are in the playoffs.  I didn't mind having a hockey team in NC when I was there but only because I was a transplanted hockey fan and not so much a fair-weather "is my team in the playoffs?" fan.  I think if they contracted the league and stopped diluting the talent into markets that aren't conducive to hockey that the sport would be revitalized.

That and Gary Bettman needs to go away.

Written By: limblifter on 06/19/07 at 10:33 am

I believe it is a combination of the terrible labor agreement/lockouts, terrible leadership (vis-a-vis the commish from Hell) and the fact that nobody in Nashville or Tampa Bay cares that they have a hockey team unless they are in the playoffs.  I didn't mind having a hockey team in NC when I was there but only because I was a transplanted hockey fan and not so much a fair-weather "is my team in the playoffs?" fan.  I think if they contracted the league and stopped diluting the talent into markets that aren't conducive to hockey that the sport would be revitalized.

That and Gary Bettman needs to go away.

Karma+1 for ju mang :)

Check for new replies or respond here...