inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2008 Olympic Games (Beijing)

Written By: Henk on 06/16/07 at 4:14 pm

Yeah, I know it's a bit early...still over a year to go before the Games will start. But even in this early stage, athletes and teams are competing to qualify for the Games.

For instance: right now, the European Championship Football (or soccer) for players under 21 is being held in The Netherlands. Five of the eight teams competing will also qualify for the Olympic Games.
I'm pleased to say that The Netherlands are among those five. :) There hasn't been a Dutch football (soccer) team present at the Olympics since 1952, so it was about time.
Other teams that have qualified are Belgium (last present in 1928! :o) and Serbia.
England are still in competition, with one game to go in the group stage tomorrow. Good luck to them.

Subject: Re: 2008 Olympic Games (Beijing)

Written By: La Roche on 06/16/07 at 4:16 pm

Yeah, I know it's a bit early...still over a year to go before the Games will start. But even in this early stage, athletes and teams are competing to qualify for the Games.

For instance: right now, the European Championship Football (or soccer) for players under 21 is being held in The Netherlands. Five of the eight teams competing will also qualify for the Olympic Games.
I'm pleased to say that The Netherlands are among those five. :) There hasn't been a Dutch football (soccer) team present at the Olympics since 1952, so it was about time.
Other teams that have qualified are Belgium (last present in 1928! :o) and Serbia.
England are still in competition, with one game to go in the group stage tomorrow. Good luck to them.

Of course, Gabrielle Ablongahor (however you spell his name) won't be there to help.  :(

Written By: Henk on 06/16/07 at 5:02 pm

Of course, Gabrielle Ablongahor (however you spell his name) won't be there to help.  :(

It's Gabriel Ablongahor. ;)

I must admit I haven't kept up with events (only been watching the odd Dutch game)...so, why's he not there? ???

In a very distant past, we've even won some medals. (Bronze in 1908, 1912 and 1920) :o

Belgium won the Olympic competition in 1920, and came in third in 1900.

Of course, these results are hardly a guarantee for a good result in 2008.

Written By: La Roche on 06/17/07 at 12:17 am

It's Gabriel Ablongahor. ;)

I must admit I haven't kept up with events (only been watching the odd Dutch game)...so, why's he not there? ???

In a very distant past, we've even won some medals. (Bronze in 1908, 1912 and 1920) :o

Belgium won the Olympic competition in 1920, and came in third in 1900.

Of course, these results are hardly a guarantee for a good result in 2008.

Ablongahor.. you can see why I can't spell it.  ;)

It was your basic club vs country row.

Portugal won magnanimously today, but alas, the games are on ESPN Deportes and I only get GolTV so I was watching the Gold Cup.

Written By: Henk on 06/17/07 at 10:06 am

Ablongahor.. you can see why I can't spell it.  ;)

Ablongahor...what's so difficult about that? ::) ;)

It was your basic club vs country row.

Clubs (read: money) seem to be more important than country (read: honour) these days...I wonder why.

Portugal won magnanimously today, but alas, the games are on ESPN Deportes and I only get GolTV so I was watching the Gold Cup.

They could've scored a quadrizillion times, and it wouldn't have made any difference. Don't you just love it feel sorry for the guys?

Written By: La Roche on 06/17/07 at 2:08 pm

Ablongahor...what's so difficult about that? ::) ;)

Clubs (read: money) seem to be more important than country (read: honour) these days...I wonder why.

They could've scored a quadrizillion times, and it wouldn't have made any difference. Don't you just love it feel sorry for the guys?

Nah, after Euro 2004 It would take a localized case of the Black Plague before I felt sorry for Portugal.  ;D

It's ridiculous, seriously.. every single kid in the country dreams of pulling on the red and white shirt and playing, I'd quite honestly give up everything and start again if it meant I could play for the national team, I'd never have to buy another drink in my life!  ;D

Written By: Henk on 06/20/07 at 3:20 pm

So...England are out. It took 32 (!!) penalty kicks, but we've done it. Next stage is the final of the EC (for players under 21) next Saturday.

Of course, we could've finished the job a whole lot sooner. Extra time was all ours...and for quite some time, we were even playing 11 to 10. And the penalty kicks...we got two earlier opportunities to finish England off, but it was third time lucky.

But to be quite honest: we were VERY close of being eliminated ourselves in regular time, hadn't it been for a magnificent goal by Maceo Rigters in the nick of time. After that, I think England gave in (at least until penalty kicks).

Written By: La Roche on 06/20/07 at 9:41 pm

So...England are out. It took 32 (!!) penalty kicks, but we've done it. Next stage is the final of the EC (for players under 21) next Saturday.

Of course, we could've finished the job a whole lot sooner. Extra time was all ours...and for quite some time, we were even playing 11 to 10. And the penalty kicks...we got two earlier opportunities to finish England off, but it was third time lucky.

But to be quite honest: we were VERY close of being eliminated ourselves in regular time, hadn't it been for a magnificent goal by Maceo Rigters in the nick of time. After that, I think England gave in (at least until penalty kicks).

Longest shoot out in ages!

It was bizarre that England held on for so long, they were pretty poor.

Written By: Henk on 06/21/07 at 12:03 am

Longest shoot out in ages!

I've been told it was the longest shoot out ever in any international tournament.
Mind you, we've yet to beat the record 48 penalties in this bizarre shout out following some Namibian Cup fight. I forgot which teams were playing.

It was bizarre that England held on for so long, they were pretty poor.

Well, Netherlands weren't playing their best either. It took us some 80 minutes before we realized what the game was about.

Written By: La Roche on 06/21/07 at 7:07 pm

I've been told it was the longest shoot out ever in any international tournament.
Mind you, we've yet to beat the record 48 penalties in this bizarre shout out following some Namibian Cup fight. I forgot which teams were playing.

Well, Netherlands weren't playing their best either. It took us some 80 minutes before we realized what the game was about.

89 to be exact.  ;D

Written By: Henk on 06/23/07 at 5:02 pm

And the winner is...

THE NETHERLANDS!

Yes, we have successfully defended our title. :)

Check for new replies or respond here...