inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Has the NBA peaked?

Written By: popking on 07/11/07 at 12:52 pm

The 80s and 90s were absolutely incredible for the NBA. You had superstars like Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, and Jordan who were the pinnacle players of the league. But you also had entire teams that were virtual powerhouses in their own right like the Celtics, the 1990s bulls and the 80s Lakers. You also had a player like Bernard King, who had an incredible 3 year run before his 1984 injury. Had he not got injured and still been on the Knicks rooster in 1985 when Patrick Ewing got drafted, the Knicks would have definitely won a championship.

The Lakers had an awesome back to back win in 1987 and 88 (they had Magic and Kareem), the Celtics won big in 84 and 86. The Pistons with Isiah Thomas at the helm won the 1988-89 championship. And then to top it off, the Phil Jackson era Chicago Bulls, with MJ and Scottie basically dominate from 1991-93 with a series of 3 peats and 1996-98 with a second 3 peat streak. In between they had classic face offs with the Knicks, the Suns with Charles Barkley and the Utah jazz.

So has the NBA really peaked? The current version seems like a watered down, weak version of what the NBA is capable of. However I gotta say I was excited watching the 2007 draft, with the new rules allowing college players to get drafted. A lot of the guys getting drafted were like...19. Everyone says how the NBA sucks lately and how college basketball is where its at, so hopefully we're in for a revival. A lot of the top draft picks seemed like old fashioned, hardworking determined athletes and not thuggish attention seeking clowns. (I know, a lot of people in the league aren't that way, and its a stereotype)

Subject: Re: Has the NBA peaked?

Written By: tv on 07/11/07 at 6:27 pm

The 80s and 90s were absolutely incredible for the NBA. You had superstars like Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, and Jordan who were the pinnacle players of the league. But you also had entire teams that were virtual powerhouses in their own right like the Celtics, the 1990s bulls and the 80s Lakers. You also had a player like Bernard King, who had an incredible 3 year run before his 1984 injury. Had he not got injured and still been on the Knicks rooster in 1985 when Patrick Ewing got drafted, the Knicks would have definitely won a championship.

The Lakers had an awesome back to back win in 1987 and 88 (they had Magic and Kareem), the Celtics won big in 84 and 86. The Pistons with Isiah Washington at the helm won the 1988-89 championship. And then to top it off, the Phil Jackson era Chicago Bulls, with MJ and Scottie basically dominate from 1991-93 with a series of 3 peats and 1996-98 with a second 3 peat streak. In between they had classic face offs with the Knicks, the Suns with Charles Barkley and the Utah jazz.

So has the NBA really peaked? The current version seems like a watered down, weak version of what the NBA is capable of. However I gotta say I was excited watching the 2007 draft, with the new rules allowing college players to get drafted. A lot of the guys getting drafted were like...19. Everyone says how the NBA sucks lately and how college basketball is where its at, so hopefully we're in for a revival. A lot of the top draft picks seemed like old fashioned, hardworking determined athletes and not thuggish attention seeking clowns. (I know, a lot of people in the league aren't that way, and its a stereotype)
The Pistons with Isiah washington wow he played basketball before he was an actor I didn;t know that but in all seriosness your talking about Isiah Thomas and not Isiah Washington. Your forgetting the Pistons did win the 1990 NBA championship over the Portland Trailblazers thanks to Vinnie Johnson and Isiah Thomas.

Alright getting back to the topic at hand here: all the players who are in the currently are not thugs abd your right about that stereotype. I don;t where the league even got this reputation maybe in the early 00's with Allen Iverson and his tatooe's and his love for hip-hop. I didn't get why people do not like Iverson though the guy is gonna go into the basketball hall of fame. And tell me this are Steve Nash, Tracy McGrady, Vince Carter, Lebron James, Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, Carmelo Anthony, Dwayne Wade, or Chauncey Billups thugs? The answer is no I wish people would stop bashing the NBA because to me its unfair. 90% of the players are pretty cool guys I think.

Your right though about this crop of players that came out of the draft: I mean Kevin Durant seems alright. Greg Oden seems like a cool guy as well.

As for bashing the league for watered down play your right in a way but I do think there is alot of rilvaries that are developing to keep the NBA alfloat ratings wise: Pistons-Cavs, Spurs-Suns, and Jazz-Spurs. Also, memo to the NBA: please put the playoff games on earlier like 7:30 and 9:00-9:30 at night because people have to go to work in the morning and to me with the playoff games going on late at night it costs the league TV ratings.

Written By: popking on 07/11/07 at 6:34 pm

Thanks, I didn't even see that typo. Lapse of memory there.

Damn Isiah Washington controversy, making me mess up. >:(

Written By: danootaandme on 07/19/07 at 5:39 pm

Most of the major sports have lulls.  Baseball was in sad sorry shape right after they had their strike and it didn't really pick up until the Magwire/Sosa match up.  Between Bill Russells Celtics and the Byrd/Parrish/McHale era you couldn't give Celtics tickets away. 

Check for new replies or respond here...