inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: World Cup 2010 (Soccer / Football)

Written By: Henk on 11/25/07 at 10:45 am

South Africa is to host this event in 2010.

Today was the draw for the qualifying stages. Guess who England's gonna have to face (again)...?

Yup...Croatia. Looking forward to those matches already. ::)

Your other opponents: Ukraine, Belarus, Kazakhstan and Andorra. With only one team advancing directly, you're gonna have a tough job, I'm afraid.

We were somewhat luckier: we'll be facing SCOTLAND, Norway, FYR Macedonia and Iceland. Yes, that's right - we're in a group of 5 (so two games less to play  :P). Nevertheless, we still have to beat Scotland and Norway.

Subject: Re: World Cup 2010 (Soccer / Football)

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/25/07 at 10:59 am

South Africa is to host this event in 2010.

Today was the draw for the qualifying stages. Guess who England's gonna have to face (again)...?

Yup...Croatia. Looking forward to those matches already. ::)
Not Poland then?

Written By: Henk on 11/25/07 at 11:01 am

Not Poland then?

No, not Poland. See my updated first post for your other opponents.

Written By: Paul on 11/25/07 at 11:02 am

I never knew there were so many countries in Europe!  :o

Rather strange that all groups contain six teams bar one (Holland & Scotland's group)...couldn't someone have declared independence and made up the numbers?

I'd still like to know how Israel classifies itself as European!

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/25/07 at 11:05 am

The Europe Draw:

Group 1 Portugal, Sweden, Denmark, Hungary, Albania, Malta

Group 2 Greece, Israel, Switzerland, Moldova, Latvia, Luxembourg

Group 3 Czech Republic, Poland, NORTHERN IRELAND, Slovakia, Slovenia, San Marino

Group 4 Germany, Russia, Finland, WALES, Azerbaijan, Liechtenstein

Group 5 Spain, Turkey, Belgium, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Armenia, Estonia

Group 6 Croatia, ENGLAND, Ukraine, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Andorra

Group 7 France, Romania, Serbia, Lithuania, Austria, Faroe Islands

Group 8 Italy, Bulgaria, Republic of Ireland, Cyprus, Georgia, Montenegro

Group 9 Holland, SCOTLAND, Norway, FYR Macedonia, Iceland

Written By: Paul on 11/25/07 at 11:05 am

We were somewhat luckier: we'll be facing SCOTLAND, Norway, FYR Macedonia and Iceland. Yes, that's right - we're in a group of 5 (so two games less to play  :P). Nevertheless, we still have to beat Scotland and Norway.

Well, I wouldn't worry about Scotland too much!

Yes, I know they've hit a purple patch at the moment (and as things stand would probably beat England's woeful bunch), but make no mistake, they'll soon slide back into their familiar hole of mediocrity by the time the qualifiers come around...

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/25/07 at 11:05 am

The Africa Draw:
Group 1: Cameroon, Cape Verde Islands, Tanzania, Mauritius.
Group 2: Guinea, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Kenya.
Group 3: Angola, Benin, Uganda, Niger.
Group 4: Nigeria, South Africa, Equatorial Guinea, Sierra Leone.
Group 5: Ghana, Libya, Gabon, Lesotho.
Group 6: Liberia, Algeria, Senegal, Gambia.
Group 7: Ivory Coast, Mozambique, Botswana, Madagascar.
Group 8: Morocco, Rwanda, Ethiopia, Mauritania.
Group 9: Brkina Faso, Tunisia, Seychelles.
Group 10: Mali, Congo, Sudan, Chad.
Group 11: Togo, Eritrea, Zambia, Swaziland.
Group 12: Epypt, Congo DR, Malawi, iDjibouti.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/25/07 at 11:10 am

Group 1 Australia, Iraq, Qatar and China.

Group 2: Oman, Thailand, Bahrain, Japan.

Group 3: North Korea, Jordan, Turkmenistan, South Korea.

Group 4: Lebanon, Singapore, Uzbekistan, Saudi Arabia.

Group 5: Syria, United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, Iran.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/25/07 at 11:12 am

For the West Indies (I think) area:

This draw is baffling. Group 1A: USA v the winner of Dominica v Barbados. Group 1B: Guatemala will play the winner of Turks and Caicos Islands v St Lucia. Group 1C: Trinidad and Tobago will play the winners of Bermuda v Caymen Islands. Group 1D: Cuba will play the winner of Aruba v Antigua and Barbuda.

Group 2A: Mexico play the winner of Belize v St Kitts and St Nevis. Group 2B: Jamaica play the winner of Bahamas v British Virgin Islands. Group 2C: Honduras play the winner of Dominican Republic v Puerto Rica. Group 2D: The winner of Canada v St Vincent and the Grenadines gets a bye.

Group 3A: Costa Rica plays US Virgin Islands or Grenada. Group 3B: Guyana plays Suriname or Montserrat. Group 3C: Panama plays El Salvador or Anguilla. Group 3D: The winner of Nicaragua v Netherlands Antilles gets a bye.

Written By: Henk on 11/25/07 at 12:02 pm

The Africa Draw:
Group 1: Cameroon, Cape Verde Islands, Tanzania, Mauritius.
Group 2: Guinea, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Kenya.
Group 3: Angola, Benin, Uganda, Niger.
Group 4: Nigeria, South Africa, Equatorial Guinea, Sierra Leone.
Group 5: Ghana, Libya, Gabon, Lesotho.
Group 6: Liberia, Algeria, Senegal, Gambia.
Group 7: Ivory Coast, Mozambique, Botswana, Madagascar.
Group 8: Morocco, Rwanda, Ethiopia, Mauritania.
Group 9: Burkina Faso, Tunisia, Seychelles.
Group 10: Mali, Congo, Sudan, Chad.
Group 11: Togo, Eritrea, Zambia, Swaziland.
Group 12: Egypt, Congo DR, Malawi, Djibouti.

You missed a country there...Burundi.

Now you may think it odd that South Africa has to play qualifiers as well... (see Group 4)... But that's because these matches are also qualifying matches for the Africa Cup, as I understand it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/25/07 at 12:05 pm

You missed a country there...Burundi.

Now you may think it odd that South Africa has to play qualifiers as well... (see Group 4)... But that's because these matches are also qualifying matches for the Africa Cup, as I understand it.
Thanks, at the time of interest the draws were reported on the sketchy side. That error of Burundi is a BBC error not mine, I made that error unknowingly.

Written By: Henk on 11/25/07 at 12:15 pm

For the West Indies (I think) area:

This draw is baffling. Group 1A: USA v the winner of Dominica v Barbados. Group 1B: Guatemala will play the winner of Turks and Caicos Islands v St Lucia. Group 1C: Trinidad and Tobago will play the winners of Bermuda v Caymen Islands. Group 1D: Cuba will play the winner of Aruba v Antigua and Barbuda.

Group 2A: Mexico play the winner of Belize v St Kitts and St Nevis. Group 2B: Jamaica play the winner of Bahamas v British Virgin Islands. Group 2C: Honduras play the winner of Dominican Republic v Puerto Rica. Group 2D: The winner of Canada v St Vincent and the Grenadines gets a bye.

Group 3A: Costa Rica plays US Virgin Islands or Grenada. Group 3B: Guyana plays Suriname or Montserrat. Group 3C: Panama plays El Salvador or Anguilla. Group 3D: The winner of Nicaragua v Netherlands Antilles gets a bye.

Baffling? Not the word I'd use...More like unfair, if you ask me. I mean, why does a team like, say Grenada, have to play at least two matches to advance, and Mexico (or U.S.A.) only one? (After the qualifying round depicted above, there's a group stage to follow, I believe)

I've always supported the idea of equality: no matter how good or bad you are, all teams go in one big bowl and then we'll have a draw to form the groups. Don't like that? Too bad, you're out! There's plenty of teams that will support the idea IMHO.
(This goes for the other Zones as well, of course)

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/25/07 at 12:18 pm

I take that The Philippines are set up to football to a World Cup standard?

Written By: Henk on 11/25/07 at 12:32 pm

I take that The Philippines are set up to football to a World Cup standard?

I...suppose so. :-\\

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/25/07 at 12:42 pm

I...suppose so. :-\\
...or that, Australia wished they were playing American Samoa again, for back in 2001 the score was  31 - 0 to Australia, which still stands as a world record.

Written By: Henk on 11/25/07 at 12:47 pm

...or that, Australia wished they were playing American Samoa again, for back in 2001 the score was  31 - 0 to Australia, which still stands as a world record.

Well, they certainly weren't hoping to be tied with China or Iraq, I suppose. ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/25/07 at 12:49 pm

Well, they certainly weren't hoping to be tied with China or Iraq, I suppose. ;D
No shouting at the ref in those fixtures?

Written By: Paul on 11/25/07 at 12:59 pm

Ooh...can we play 'em?  :D

Better not...we'd probably make hard work of that as well!  ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/25/07 at 1:04 pm

Ooh...can we play 'em?  :D

Better not...we'd probably make hard work of that as well!  ::)
It could be a dodgy pitch again?

Written By: MrCleveland on 12/18/07 at 1:58 pm

How will the U.S. be in this Tournament? Will we be ranked real low or slightly low?

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/19/07 at 7:35 am

How will the U.S. be in this Tournament? Will we be ranked real low or slightly low?
To qualify for the Final Stages of the Football World Cup 2010, the USA in the Second Stage will play the winner the First Stage match between Dominica and Barbados.

North, Central America and Caribbean Oceania Group

Written By: Bryanatsck on 12/24/07 at 9:52 am

http://www.dinosaur.org/Nthrland.gif 8)

Written By: Henk on 12/24/07 at 12:28 pm

http://www.dinosaur.org/Nthrland.gif 8)

You honestly think we stand a chance...? :o

...Well, there's you first karma.

Written By: Bryanatsck on 12/25/07 at 10:10 am

no but it's nice to dream :( lol

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/07/08 at 6:05 am

So when does it all start?

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/07/08 at 9:07 am

To qualify for the Final Stages of the Football World Cup 2010, the USA in the Second Stage will play the winner the First Stage match between Dominica and Barbados.

North, Central America and Caribbean Oceania Group

Looks like an easy win for the U.S.

I really hope we can be in the Finals, because the U.S. is like Cleveland of Soccer.

Written By: Henk on 01/07/08 at 2:18 pm

So when does it all start?

The event is scheduled to take place between 11 June and 11 July 2010 in South Africa. More details here.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/07/08 at 5:14 pm

The event is scheduled to take place between 11 June and 11 July 2010 in South Africa. More details here.
At least it will not clash with The Ashes for the Auzzies are over here next year (2009)

Written By: Paul on 09/09/09 at 3:51 pm

Resurrecting this as England join Holland as the second European team to qualify for South Africa, after beating Croatia 5-1...

Holland get bonus points for killing off the Jocks (Har Har!)

Written By: Henk on 09/09/09 at 4:00 pm

Resurrecting this as England join Holland as the second European team to qualify for South Africa, after beating Croatia 5-1...

Holland get bonus points for killing off the Jocks (Har Har!)

I had totally forgotten about this thread.  ;D Thanks for reviving it.

As you mentioned: the Netherlands were the first European country to qualify for WC 2010, and we've finished off in style by defeating Scotland 1 to 0. Which means we've won all of our group matches. Not a lot of countries can boast the same.

Written By: Paul on 09/09/09 at 4:07 pm

As you mentioned: the Netherlands were the first European country to qualify for WC 2010, and we've finished off in style by defeating Scotland 1 to 0. Which means we've won all of our group matches. Not a lot of countries can boast the same.

Only Spain and ourselves can equal this record, but we both have games yet to play...

In actual fact, Spain may have also qualified tonight...

Written By: Frank on 09/09/09 at 4:30 pm

We don;t hear too much of qualifying here in Canada.
Being an Italian and still remembering how they won in 2006, I'd bet they won't win in 2010.
When they won in 1982, they didn't do well 4 years later. When they made if to the final and lost in pen kicks to Brazil, they didn't do well 4 years later.
I don't even know if Italy has qualified for 2010 yet.

Written By: Paul on 09/09/09 at 4:36 pm

We don;t hear too much of qualifying here in Canada.
Being an Italian and still remembering how they won in 2006, I'd bet they won't win in 2010.
When they won in 1982, they didn't do well 4 years later. When they made if to the final and lost in pen kicks to Brazil, they didn't do well 4 years later.
I don't even know if Italy has qualified for 2010 yet.

They're as good as qualified, but the final group placings haven't been settled yet...

Written By: Henk on 09/09/09 at 4:40 pm

They're as good as qualified, but the final group placings haven't been settled yet...

Italy have 20 points from 8 games, Ireland are second with 16 from 8, with only two games remaining. So in theory, Ireland can still overtake Italy - but that's not very likely.

Written By: Frank on 09/09/09 at 4:50 pm

Italy have 20 points from 8 games, Ireland are second with 16 from 8, with only two games remaining. So in theory, Ireland can still overtake Italy - but that's not very likely.

Thanks guys. I really need to look this up on the qualifying website.
I think there would be 10000 deaths in Italy if they didn't qualify for the World cup (same can be said for England, Brazil, Germany...)

Written By: Henk on 09/09/09 at 4:53 pm

Thanks guys. I really need to look this up on the qualifying website.
I think there would be 10000 deaths in Italy if they didn't qualify for the World cup (same can be said for England, Brazil, Germany...)

No, not England, nor Germany - they're not that dramatic. Brazil, yes, and Argentina too. Luckily Brazil have already qualified (after defeating...Argentina!)

Written By: Frank on 09/09/09 at 4:56 pm

No, not England, nor Germany - they're not that dramatic. Brazil, yes, and Argentina too. Luckily Brazil have already qualified (after defeating...Argentina!)

Would be nice to see an African team do very well.
But the usual suspects will be around (Spain, Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Italy, etc..)

Written By: Paul on 09/09/09 at 5:00 pm

It's not 100% out of the question not to see England in the big tournaments (we decided not to 'enter' several in the past!  ::)), but I can't envisage the World Cup without the other three!

That said, Germany has this strange knack of playing barely above 'crap' level and still reaching a semi at worst!  >:(

Written By: Frank on 09/09/09 at 5:05 pm

It's not 100% out of the question not to see England in the big tournaments (we decided not to 'enter' several in the past!  ::)), but I can't envisage the World Cup without the other three!

That said, Germany has this strange knack of playing barely above 'crap' level and still reaching a semi at worst!  >:(

Sometimes in the past they have. But in 2006 I thought they would have won it all. They had a great attack and penetrated all defenses easily until they player Italy, which is always very good on defense, even if they can't score sometimes!
Great game ( the best in 2006 WC) between Italy & German.

Written By: Frank on 10/10/09 at 7:31 pm

Italy and Germany qualified today.
No surprise there, of course.

Written By: Henk on 10/11/09 at 1:01 am

Italy and Germany qualified today.

Along with Denmark, Serbia and Ivory Coast.

Australia playing Oman coming Wednesday.

Written By: Frank on 11/19/09 at 11:36 pm

Ireland was totally ROBBED yesterday when Henri touched that ball and almost ** volleyed**  :D it over to a teammate for a goal. Even he admits it was a hand ball.

Not being in Europe, we only hear a few things, but what's the news over in Europe? Ireland demanding the ref's head on a platter?

Ireland wants a rematch ( I don't think they will get one)

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/20/09 at 3:14 pm

The French Football Federation turns down the Republic of Ireland's request for a replay of their controversial World Cup play-off game.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/20/09 at 3:15 pm

Ireland was totally ROBBED yesterday when Henri touched that ball and almost ** volleyed**  :D it over to a teammate for a goal. Even he admits it was a hand ball.

Not being in Europe, we only hear a few things, but what's the news over in Europe? Ireland demanding the ref's head on a platter?

Ireland wants a rematch ( I don't think they will get one)
It the goal on youtube?

Written By: Frank on 11/20/09 at 5:26 pm

It the goal on youtube?

It must be. I haven't checked.
It's more obvious, quite a bit more obvious than the "hand of god" goal by Maradona some 20 years ago.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/21/09 at 2:08 am

It must be. I haven't checked.
It's more obvious, quite a bit more obvious than the "hand of god" goal by Maradona some 20 years ago.
"Main de Dieu"

Written By: Frank on 11/21/09 at 1:13 pm

"Main de Dieu"

Almost like he was volleying the ball to his teammate for a smash. Mon dieu!

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/21/09 at 1:17 pm

Almost like he was volleying the ball to his teammate for a smash. Mon dieu!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRLWMeDCx_U

Need we say more?

Written By: Frank on 11/21/09 at 1:29 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRLWMeDCx_U

Need we say more?

Aha, you found it on youtube.
If the French actually win the World Cup, I think Ireland will invade Paris and steal the trophy (with Bono singing "Sunday, bloody Sunday"), and they will keep looking for it until they find it, while Bono sings "I still haven't found what I am looking for"

Written By: Frank on 12/05/09 at 12:19 am

I have copied this from Philip Eno's post in another thread.

The draw for the groups for the 2010 World Cup

Group A: South Africa, Mexico, Uruguay, France

Group B: Argentina, Nigeria, South Korea, Greece

Group C: ENGLAND, United States, Algeria, Slovenia

Group D: Germany, Australia, Serbia, Ghana

Group E: Netherlands, Denmark, Japan, Cameroon

Group F: Italy, Paraguay, New Zealand, Slovakia

Group G: Brazil, North Korea, Ivory Coast, Portugal

Group H: Spain, Switzerland, Honduras, Chile

So who will win? Brazil and Spain seems like the favorite for now. What about the usual suspects like Germany, Italy, England, perhaps even Holland? They have a chance?
Maybe an African team wins ( Ghana, Ivory Coast?)

Would like to see at least one African team do very well.

Written By: Henk on 12/05/09 at 2:45 am

So who will win? Brazil and Spain seems like the favorite for now. What about the usual suspects like Germany, Italy, England, perhaps even Holland? They have a chance?
Maybe an African team wins ( Ghana, Ivory Coast?)

Would like to see at least one African team do very well.

Let's try and make a prediction... although I'm usually wrong about these. ;D

South Africa have been very unlucky with the draw. All three opponents are likely to stand a better chance of proceeding. But..South Africa has the home advantage. It's gonna be close, but I'd put my money on France and Uruguay (if only because of Luis Suarez).

Should be a breeze for Argentina and Nigeria.

Group C: ENGLAND, UNITED STATES, Algeria, Slovenia
Although you never know with Algeria, I expect England and US to proceed.

Group D: Germany, AUSTRALIA, Serbia, Ghana
A bit unlucky there for the Socceroos, having to face Germany and Ghana. This, again, is gonna be close. Germany and Ghana, I think.

Group E: NETHERLANDS, Denmark, Japan, Cameroon
Many people say we had a lucky draw, and maybe we have. It could have been a lot worse, that's for sure. Our luck: all opponents are willing to go for it, and play on the offense rather than the defense. That's the way we like it, too. We've recently beaten Japan 3 to 0, but that was a friendly match. This is going to be different. Still, I'd say it's gonna be us (the Netherlands) and hopefully Cameroon.

Group F: Italy, Paraguay, NEW ZEALAND, Slovakia
Poor Kiwis, that's all I can say. They don't stand much of a chance. On the other hand: that might just be their luck. I expect them to give their all and more, with nothing to lose really. It won't be enough, though. Italy and Paraguay are the teams to watch.

Is this gonna be the Group of Death? With DPR Korea being a completely dark horse, it's anyone's guess how they'll perform. They've surprised the world in the past (1966). So who will be the unlucky ones? Ivory Coast? Portugal? Or even Brazil?
No, not Brazil. No way. So I'd say... Brazil and Portugal go through.

One of the toughest groups IMHO. I really don't know what to think of it. Gut instinct tells me it's gonna be Spain and...Switzerland. Every WC has its surprises.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/05/09 at 2:46 am

"The draw is not so bad" says England coach Fabio Capello

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/05/09 at 2:47 am

Prime Minister Gordon Brown - "I wish England all the best in their group"

Written By: Frank on 12/05/09 at 3:44 am

South Africa have been very unlucky with the draw. All three opponents are likely to stand a better chance of proceeding. But..South Africa has the home advantage. It's gonna be close, but I'd put my money on France and Uruguay (if only because of Luis Suarez).

A bit unlucky there for the Socceroos, having to face Germany and Ghana. This, again, is gonna be close. Germany and Ghana, I think.

Many people say we had a lucky draw, and maybe we have. It could have been a lot worse, that's for sure. Our luck: all opponents are willing to go for it, and play on the offense rather than the defense. That's the way we like it, too. We've recently beaten Japan 3 to 0, but that was a friendly match. This is going to be different. Still, I'd say it's gonna be us (the Netherlands) and hopefully Cameroon.

Poor Kiwis, that's all I can say. They don't stand much of a chance. On the other hand: that might just be their luck. I expect them to give their all and more, with nothing to lose really. It won't be enough, though. Italy and Paraguay are the teams to watch.

Is this gonna be the Group of Death? With DPR Korea being a completely dark horse, it's anyone's guess how they'll perform. They've surprised the world in the past (1966). So who will be the unlucky ones? Ivory Coast? Portugal? Or even Brazil?

One of the toughest groups IMHO. I really don't know what to think of it. Gut instinct tells me it's gonna be Spain and...Switzerland. Every WC has its surprises.

Good and well thought out predictions. I tend to agree with just about everything.
Will Ireland be cheering for South Africa, Mexico and Uruguay?

Written By: Henk on 12/05/09 at 8:56 am

Good and well thought out predictions. I tend to agree with just about everything.

Thank you. But like I said earlier, it's still anyone's guess. One careless moment in any match, one red card, one foul overlooked by the referee, one silly injury for a key player...and all predictions go down the drain.

Will Ireland be cheering for South Africa, Mexico and Uruguay?

Well, they won't be rooting for France, that's for sure! ;D

Written By: Frank on 12/05/09 at 12:32 pm

Thank you. But like I said earlier, it's still anyone's guess. One careless moment in any match, one red card, one foul overlooked by the referee, one silly injury for a key player...and all predictions go down the drain.

Well, they won't be rooting for France, that's for sure! ;D

I won't be rooting for France either. My team is Italy, but I doubt they will win 2 World cups in a row.

I wonder if the weather will be a factor during the world cup. How hot will it be? Will that favor the African and South America countries?

Written By: Paul on 12/06/09 at 11:58 am

Prime Minister Gordon Brown - "I wish England all the best in their group"

This, coming from a Scotsman, is highly dubious...

...as is the choice of his 'favourite pop group'...those Arctic Monkeys!

I can't see England living up to the hype...and there's plenty of time for a few injuries to be picked up before the tournament begins!  :P

Written By: Frank on 05/26/10 at 3:30 pm

*BUMP*

This starts in a few weeks . It's almost here.
Top ten world rankings (May 2010)
1 Brazil
2 Spain
3 Portugal
4 Netherlands
5 Italy
6 Germany
7 Argentina
8 England
9 France
10 Croatia

15 . U.S.A
20. Australia
63. Canada

Written By: Henk on 05/26/10 at 3:53 pm

*BUMP*

This starts in a few weeks . It's almost here.
Top ten world rankings (May 2010)
1 Brazil
2 Spain
3 Portugal
4 Netherlands
5 Italy
6 Germany
7 Argentina
8 England
9 France
10 Croatia

15 . U.S.A
20. Australia
63. Canada

Where's those Kiwi's? :-\\

Written By: Frank on 05/26/10 at 3:58 pm

Where's those Kiwi's? :-\\

78.New Zealand

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/ranking/lastranking/gender=m/fullranking.html#confederation=0&rank=193&page=2

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/04/10 at 4:08 pm

England captain Rio Ferdinand will miss the World Cup after suffering a knee injury in the team's first training session in South Africa.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/04/10 at 4:09 pm

England captain Rio Ferdinand will miss the World Cup after suffering a knee injury in the team's first training session in South Africa.
Tottenham defender Michael Dawson to fly to South Africa as replacement for injured Ferdinand

Written By: Frank on 06/04/10 at 10:41 pm

It begins in one week.
Exciting! (yes, I am one of about 3 fans in North America  :D)
kidding, there are more fans that that.

Written By: Henk on 06/05/10 at 1:29 am

He's not the only one. Ivory Coast's Didier Drogba broke his arm in a friendly match against Japan, and he too will be missing WC 2010.

Written By: Paul on 06/07/10 at 6:59 am

Agreed on everything except...

Group A - Mexico instead of Uruguay
Group B - Greece could have a shout
Group D - don't write Australia off, they can play when they want (especially moreso when they could feasibly face England in the second round!)
Group G - Ivory Coast to progress at the expense of Portugal, who've not exactly set things alight of late

Written By: karen on 06/07/10 at 12:05 pm

Someone at Dai's work has booked a large room at a pub for us all to go and watch England v USA on Saturday.

Written By: Henk on 06/07/10 at 3:38 pm

Agreed on everything except...

Group A - Mexico instead of Uruguay
Group B - Greece could have a shout
Group D - don't write Australia off, they can play when they want (especially moreso when they could feasibly face England in the second round!)
Group G - Ivory Coast to progress at the expense of Portugal, who've not exactly set things alight of late

France may be struggling as well. I stick with Uruguay, though.
I think you may be right about Ivory Coast instead of Portugal. On the other hand... Ivory Coast miss Didier Drogba. :-\\

Someone at Dai's work has booked a large room at a pub for us all to go and watch England v USA on Saturday.

Sounds like a plan!

Our first match is on Monday, in the afternoon (local time), so I expect a lot of people will be calling in sick... ::) I've heard there's plans of renting a large tv for the die-hard workers at our office.
I'll be watching it at home though. I've already taken the day off.

Written By: Henk on 06/07/10 at 3:45 pm

BTW: I predicted Argentina for world champion, in the WC Pool we have at our office.

Written By: Frank on 06/08/10 at 11:21 am

BTW: I predicted Argentina for world champion, in the WC Pool we have at our office.

You may be right, usually when A World Cup is played outside of Europe, a South American team wins. Has been the case for about 40 years. So Brazil or Argentina are looking good.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/08/10 at 12:47 pm

My money is on THIS team.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKNrte6Gipc

Cat

Written By: Frank on 06/08/10 at 4:01 pm

My money is on THIS team.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKNrte6Gipc

Cat

They have a good chance at beating Canada  ;D

Written By: Paul on 06/08/10 at 4:13 pm

You may be right, usually when A World Cup is played outside of Europe, a South American team wins. Has been the case for about 40 years. So Brazil or Argentina are looking good.

Brazil possibly...Argentina, well...certainly not short of talent, but question marks over Maradona's managerial prowess...

One false slip in a key decision and they could be out!

Written By: Frank on 06/11/10 at 11:09 am

RSA 1, Mexico 1
South Africa almost scored at the end, crowd would have gone bonkers, but...
I felt Mexico was the slightly better team. 1-1 draw.

Written By: Frank on 06/11/10 at 3:53 pm

France can't score against Uruguay.
The nerve of Thierry Henry asking for a hand ball near the end at the game.

Written By: Paul on 06/11/10 at 4:03 pm

France can't score against Uruguay.

Judging by that performance, they couldn't score in a brothel!

And yet, just wait...they'll somehow be in the last four!  ::)

Written By: Frank on 06/11/10 at 4:09 pm

Judging by that performance, they couldn't score in a brothel!

And yet, just wait...they'll somehow be in the last four!  ::)

No, please don't say that!
I hope Mexico gives them a good run next game.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/12/10 at 8:05 am

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/48058000/jpg/_48058271_england_house226i_getty.jpg

Those in support for their team in the World Cup...............

............oh dear!

Written By: Frank on 06/12/10 at 10:14 am

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/48058000/jpg/_48058271_england_house226i_getty.jpg

Those in support for their team in the World Cup...............

............oh dear!

There must be displays like that in many countries.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/12/10 at 10:22 am

There must be displays like that in many countries.
Methinks, only in England!

Written By: Paul on 06/12/10 at 4:06 pm

Methinks, only in England!

Any more performances like tonight and they'll be taken down pretty quick!

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/12/10 at 4:08 pm

"They comin' home, they comin' home, England's comin' home" ?

Written By: Frank on 06/12/10 at 4:29 pm

They didn't play their best game. Disappointing for England today.

Written By: danootaandme on 06/12/10 at 6:29 pm

What is going to happen to Englands goalie when he comes home?  The U.S. didn't win the game, he handed us the tie.

Written By: Frank on 06/12/10 at 7:07 pm

What is going to happen to Englands goalie when he comes home? 

Depends how England does for the rest of the WC.  If they don't get pass the first round, he's in trouble.
Wonders if he will play in the next game...hmm...

Written By: Henk on 06/13/10 at 1:18 am

Depends how England does for the rest of the WC.  If they don't get pass the first round, he's in trouble.
Wonders if he will play in the next game...hmm...

As if England have much choice! ::)

Other results from yesterday:

Argentina 1 - 0 Nigeria

Apart from the first 15 minutes or so, that was one of the most boring games I've ever seen. Especially the second half.

S. Korea 2 - 0 Greece

Again, Greece fail to score and to impress.

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/13/10 at 2:29 am

And from around the Internets, the howls of laughter have come:

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i270/texor/gotthis.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l310/matrixpb64/iErtZ.png

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/6/12/129208446913694532.jpg

http://www.evilinternet.com/images/UK_fail.jpg

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/1899/roflbotkumb.jpg

I can't call myself a sports guy by any stretch of the imagination, but I tune in for the important games, and I know failure when I see it.

Written By: Paul on 06/13/10 at 10:03 am

What is going to happen to Englands goalie when he comes home?

He plays for a team called West Ham United, which is punishment enough!

Argentina 1 - 0 Nigeria

Apart from the first 15 minutes or so, that was one of the most boring games I've ever seen. Especially the second half.

Half a dozen games in and I can't say I've been enthralled by anything thus far...

Written By: Henk on 06/13/10 at 11:42 am

I can't call myself a sports guy by any stretch of the imagination, but I tune in for the important games, and I know failure when I see it.

Did you see the Algeria vs Slovenia game..? ??? If it hadn't been for one Algerian goalie, nobody would be able to recall it.

Half a dozen games in and I can't say I've been enthralled by anything thus far...

What about Serbia vs Ghana (0 - 1) ..? Most attractive game so far, IMHO, and quite an upset for the bookies.

Written By: Paul on 06/13/10 at 11:49 am

What about Serbia vs Ghana (0 - 1) ..? Most attractive game so far, IMHO, and quite an upset for the bookies.

Brightened up only in the second half...Ghana worthy of the win, even if it was via a rather stupid giveaway penalty...

Germany v Oz on the way...I'm at odds to predict whether this will be a thriller!  :-\\

Written By: Frank on 06/13/10 at 4:52 pm

Germany 4, Auzzies 0.
gibbo..what happened?

Germany usually starts off well, a fine machine. Podolski and Klosse, good scorers.

Written By: Bobo on 06/13/10 at 5:24 pm

In the same vein as Foo Bar's posts above, one of the many Facebook groups that has popped up:

That awkward moment when Robert Green asks you to play catch with him

Written By: Henk on 06/14/10 at 5:00 am

Germany 4, Auzzies 0.
gibbo..what happened?

Germany usually starts off well, a fine machine. Podolski and Klosse, good scorers.

I'm not gibbo, but I'll give it a try.

Soccaroos are very much leaning on their defense, but those guys appear to be over the hill. The lack of speed is telling.
And then there's the lack of creativity on the midfield and in the offense... Just how many chances did the team create? Less than a handful.
Aussies need to start from scratch, I'm afraid. This team has had its days.

Now as much as I hate to say this (being Dutch and all)...if Germany can keep up their game, I give them a good chance of becoming champions.

Written By: Henk on 06/14/10 at 9:33 am

WC has started for Holland as well. First match: 2 - 0 win over Denmark.

We needed an own goal by Denmark shortly after the break to open the score, but it's the result that counts in the end. First half was poor (on both sides), second half was slightly better. Denmark failed to impress, but then again we weren't much better.

Currently watching the Japan vs Cameroon game, our other opponents in this group. I almost fell asleep... ::)

Written By: Henk on 06/14/10 at 9:39 am

Currently watching the Japan vs Cameroon game, our other opponents in this group. I almost fell asleep... ::)

And whoomp, there it is. Honda scores for Japan (1 - 0).

Written By: Frank on 06/14/10 at 10:07 am

WC has started for Holland as well. First match: 2 - 0 win over Denmark.

I almost fell asleep as well (Having just woke up at 7AM to watch the game doesn't help)

Written By: Henk on 06/14/10 at 4:01 pm

I almost fell asleep as well (Having just woke up at 7AM to watch the game doesn't help)

You couldn't have picked a better game! ;D :D ;)

Final result of that match (in case you missed it...): Japan 1 - 0 Cameroon. Hugely disappointing performance by Cameroon there, as Japan win their first WC match on foreign ground (not counting qualifying matches).

Also tonight: Italy 1 - 1 Paraguay. Well, it's Italy - of course they equalized! ::)

Written By: Frank on 06/14/10 at 4:04 pm

You couldn't have picked a better game! ;D :D ;)

Final result of that match (in case you missed it...): Japan 1 - 0 Cameroon. Hugely disappointing performance by Cameroon there, as Japan win their first WC match on foreign ground (not counting qualifying matches).

Also tonight: Italy 1 - 1 Paraguay. Well, it's Italy - of course they equalized! ::)

Paraguay was well organized today, and deserved the point, despite Italy's push at the end. Hopefully Italy is just warming up.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/14/10 at 5:36 pm

I'm not watching any more World Cup matches until they get rid of those stupid vuvuzelas.  >:( >:( >:( >:(

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/15/10 at 1:54 am

I'm not watching any more World Cup matches until they get rid of those stupid vuvuzelas.  >:( >:( >:( >:(

The same here!

Written By: Paul on 06/15/10 at 6:41 am

I'm not watching any more World Cup matches until they get rid of those stupid vuvuzelas.   >:( >:( >:( >:(

See you in Brazil in four years' time then...the official line is, they won't be banned...

And speaking of Brazil, they get their campaign underway later against the fun squad that is North Korea...

...let the bloodbath commence!

Written By: Frank on 06/15/10 at 11:56 am

Would have like to have seen Ivory Coast pull a win out in the end.
But 0-0 with Portugal is OK.

Written By: Paul on 06/15/10 at 2:18 pm

...let the bloodbath commence!

Which amazingly, so far, hasn't happened!  :o

Halfway in and it's goalless!

Nothing short of a minor upset if it stays this way...

MTA - it didn't! Brazil winners 2-0 (Actually 2-1, as the Koreans sneaked one in at the death when I wasn't looking!)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/15/10 at 2:46 pm

The BBC receives 545 complaints about the sound of vuvuzela horns during its World Cup coverage.

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/16/10 at 12:14 am

The BBC receives 545 complaints about the sound of vuvuzela horns during its World Cup coverage.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZWHAT?ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Here's a Hack that does it in software.

Here are a few other hacks to help you filter out the drone of the vuvuzelas.

In a nutshell, you want to cut out 233Hz and related harmonics (465, 930, and 1860, etc...) on the graphic equalizer, and be damn thankful you don't have to listen to it in meatspace.  Some dude behind you blaring 120+dB into your ears is an immediate danger to your hearing, and nothing short of serious earplugs can protect you.  But if you're watching on TV, it's only annoying, and it can be largely fixed through a notch filter for 233/465Hz, even if you don't get the higher-order harmonics.

For non-soccer fans:  Not all soccer tournaments are like this.  It's a South Africa thing.  It's just how they roll at a football match.  Keep calm, build a notch filter or adjust your graphic equalizer, and carry on.

Written By: Paul on 06/16/10 at 3:30 am

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZWHAT?ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Here's a Hack that does it in software.

Here are a few other hacks to help you filter out the drone of the vuvuzelas.

In a nutshell, you want to cut out 233Hz and related harmonics (465, 930, and 1860, etc...) on the graphic equalizer, and be damn thankful you don't have to listen to it in meatspace.  Some dude behind you blaring 120+dB into your ears is an immediate danger to your hearing, and nothing short of serious earplugs can protect you.  But if you're watching on TV, it's only annoying, and it can be largely fixed through a notch filter for 233/465Hz, even if you don't get the higher-order harmonics.

Apparently, the thing has a tone which is comparable to some frequencies of human speech, so while the noise can be filtered out, some pieces of the match commentary could also suffer (according to the BBC)...

No problem, I say do away with the annoying commentary as well!

For non-soccer fans:  Not all soccer tournaments are like this.  It's a South Africa thing.  It's just how they roll at a football match.  Keep calm, build a notch filter or adjust your graphic equalizer, and carry on.

I have this nasty feeling that it's gonna 'invade' other countries in time for next season... :-\\

Written By: Frank on 06/16/10 at 10:40 am

Swiss are leading Spain 1-0.... :o

Written By: Frank on 06/16/10 at 11:09 am

Swiss upsets Spain 1-0. First real upset of the 2010 WC (Unless you count USA tying England or Paraguay tying Italy)

Written By: Paul on 06/16/10 at 1:36 pm

Swiss upsets Spain 1-0. First real upset of the 2010 WC (Unless you count USA tying England or Paraguay tying Italy)

Not saying this because my home country was involved, but these were more 'surprises' than 'upsets'...

(Had England or Italy lost outright, then an 'upset', undoubtedly!)

Anyway, certainly an 'upset' here and despite the scoreline, actually one of the more entertaining matches out of the first batch...

Written By: Henk on 06/17/10 at 2:52 pm

Mexico are leading 1 - 0 against France. :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/17/10 at 3:06 pm

Mexico are leading 1 - 0 against France. :D
I just heard a scream from the neighbours, has there been another goal?

Written By: Paul on 06/17/10 at 3:08 pm

I just heard a scream from the neighbours, has there been another goal?

Yes, Mexico double their lead with a penalty!

Your neighbours aren't Irish, by any chance?  ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/17/10 at 3:11 pm

Yes, Mexico double their lead with a penalty!

Your neighbours aren't Irish, by any chance?  ;)
I have forgotten all about that.

Written By: Henk on 06/17/10 at 3:26 pm

Well, France get what they deserve. :P

Mexico and Uruguay now both need one point to proceed to next round, and they'll be facing each other in the final match of the group stage. What do you think will happen...?

That's right: nothing. ;D

Written By: Paul on 06/17/10 at 3:34 pm

Mexico and Uruguay now both need one point to proceed to next round, and they'll be facing each other in the final match of the group stage. What do you think will happen...?

Something along the lines of this?  ::)

(Except, of course, without the goal!)

Written By: Henk on 06/17/10 at 3:53 pm

Something along the lines of this?  ::)

(Except, of course, without the goal!)

Exactly. With the difference being nobody will be moaning over France.

Written By: Frank on 06/17/10 at 4:45 pm

Well, France get what they deserve. :P

That's right: nothing. ;D

I was hoping Mexico would beat France 12-0, but 20 is OK.
Fudge tohttp:// ANYONE is the Uruguay or Mexico teams who score when they face each other. Having said that tho, if that game (Mex Vs Uru) is a draw, Mexico will face Argentina...who wants that?

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/17/10 at 11:49 pm

Apparently, the thing has a tone which is comparable to some frequencies of human speech, so while the noise can be filtered out, some pieces of the match commentary could also suffer (according to the BBC)...

No problem, I say do away with the annoying commentary as well!

Exactly.  Even if you wanted the commentary, your brain can figure out what most of the words are.  But by cutting down on the buzzing, you might even be able to hear the crowd.

I have this nasty feeling that it's gonna 'invade' other countries in time for next season... :-\\

http://cdn2.knowyourmeme.com/i/000/054/978/original/vuvuzelaherolegendofafrica600.jpg

Oh bloody hell.

Written By: Paul on 06/18/10 at 8:21 am

It's all happening in Group D...

Germany 0, Serbia 1...!  :o (Germany's first competitive footballing defeat in living memory and their first penalty miss for longer than that!)

Don't look so invincible now, do they?  ;)

Written By: Frank on 06/18/10 at 10:05 am

It's all happening in Group D...

Germany 0, Serbia 1...!  :o (Germany's first competitive footballing defeat in living memory and their first penalty miss for longer than that!)

Don't look so invincible now, do they?  ;)

First defeat in prelims since 1986.
Well, they did play with 10 men for 50 minutes...I wouldn't count them out yet  ;)

Written By: ninny on 06/18/10 at 10:55 am

The US just got screwed >:(

Written By: Paul on 06/18/10 at 11:00 am

For want of a better adjective, yes they were...horribly!

Superbly bubbling match, which I hope fires up England later today...

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/18/10 at 11:50 am

England coach Fabio Capello is likely to drop goalkeeper Robert Green and play David James in tonight's match against Algeria.

Written By: Starde on 06/18/10 at 12:24 pm

No sh*t! >:( The US clearly won that game. Screw that damn referee! >:(

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/18/10 at 1:19 pm

Stats for England v Algeria

1. England are unbeaten in all 15 previous matches against African opposition.
2. Algeria have lost all three games against Euro teams in 2010, agg score 0-7.
3. England’s only previous WC game on 18 June came in 1986, with 3-0 win over Paraguay (Lineker 2, Beardsley).
4. Fourteen years ago today, England spanked Netherlands 4-1 at Euro 96, the performance of a generation.
5. Wayne Rooney has failed to score in his last six England games.
6. Algeria have lost their last three WC games without scoring. It’s 301 minutes of WC footy since they scored – Djamel Zidane netting vs Northern Ireland in 1986.
7. Sixteen members of Algeria’s squad were born in France.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/18/10 at 1:23 pm

Goalkeeper David James at 39 years and 321 days old becomes the seventh-oldest player in the World Cup - and the oldest debutant in the competition.

Written By: Paul on 06/18/10 at 3:28 pm

Stats for England v Algeria

1. England are unbeaten in all 15 previous matches against African opposition.
2. Algeria have lost all three games against Euro teams in 2010, agg score 0-7.
3. England’s only previous WC game on 18 June came in 1986, with 3-0 win over Paraguay (Lineker 2, Beardsley).
4. Fourteen years ago today, England spanked Netherlands 4-1 at Euro 96, the performance of a generation.
5. Wayne Rooney has failed to score in his last six England games.
6. Algeria have lost their last three WC games without scoring. It’s 301 minutes of WC footy since they scored – Djamel Zidane netting vs Northern Ireland in 1986.
7. Sixteen members of Algeria’s squad were born in France.

Stat #8. England display yet another woefully ineffective and inept performance...goalless!  :-\\

If they somehow splutter past this group stage, I can't see much further progress if this was anything to go by...

USA? You could still be in with a shout!  ;)

Written By: Frank on 06/18/10 at 3:55 pm

So, In case some of you did not see the games from earlier today, here are the results:

Germany 0
FIFA 1

USA 0
FIFA 1

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/18/10 at 11:41 pm

Fark put it best today:  "United States ties Slovenia 3-2"

As a non-soccer-fan, I saw that on replay, and even not knowing much about the bloody game, I have to say -

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1173178/Vuvuzela.png

- well, at least you didn't have to hear what I said, because this is a family-friendly message board.

Written By: Frank on 06/18/10 at 11:58 pm

Fark put it best today:  "United States ties Slovenia 3-2"

As a non-soccer-fan, I saw that on replay, and even not knowing much about the bloody game, I have to say -

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1173178/Vuvuzela.png

- well, at least you didn't have to hear what I said, because this is a family-friendly message board.

But when I played it backwards, it gave me satanic messages to kill my neighbors goldfish, with purple vuvuzelas  :D

Written By: Henk on 06/19/10 at 8:46 am

But when I played it backwards, it gave me satanic messages to kill my neighbors goldfish, with purple vuvuzelas  :D

You got the wrong message then. I distinctively remember putting in orange vuvuzelas. :D

Oh, and Netherlands beat Japan 1 - 0 in another non too impressive game. But who'll remember by the time we're world champions...? ::)

Written By: Henk on 06/19/10 at 9:12 am

GOAL for Australia!!  :D  They are now leading 1 - 0 against Ghana.

Written By: Henk on 06/19/10 at 9:26 am

Oh no! Red card for Harry Kewell (for hands), and a penalty for Ghana. :(

Written By: Henk on 06/19/10 at 9:26 am

And now it's one apiece.

Written By: Henk on 06/19/10 at 9:27 am

Looking grim for Australia now... :-\\

Written By: Frank on 06/19/10 at 9:30 am

You got the wrong message then. I distinctively remember putting in orange vuvuzelas. :D

Oh, and Netherlands beat Japan 1 - 0 in another non too impressive game. But who'll remember by the time we're world champions...? ::)

I missed that game, started at 4AM, slept in...I am watching Ghana/Aus now.

Written By: Henk on 06/19/10 at 10:54 am

And now it's one apiece.

Also the final score. Bad performance by Ghana.

If you didn't know any better, and based on their second half performance, you'd say Ghana were down to ten man instead of Australia. Socceroos came very close to 2 - 1, and a deserved win, but no such luck.

Written By: Henk on 06/19/10 at 10:58 am

Newsflash:

Nicolas Anelka has been expelled from the French squad and has been sent home, after allegedly insulting coach Domenech during half time in the France vs Mexico match. (Which, in retrospect, also explains his substitution)

Written By: Henk on 06/19/10 at 2:20 pm

Half time in the Denmark vs Cameroon game, and both teams have scored once. But it could just as well have been 3 apiece. One of the most attractive games so far.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/10 at 2:49 pm

England striker Wayne Rooney apologises for his criticism of fans who booed the team after Friday's draw with Algeria.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/10 at 3:04 pm

They say Dennis Rommedahl can cover 100 metres in 10.2 seconds.

Written By: Henk on 06/19/10 at 3:26 pm

They say Dennis Rommedahl can cover 100 metres in 10.2 seconds.

For all I know, they may be right.

Anyhow... Denmark beat Cameroon 2 - 1 tonight. This means Cameroon are the first team to be out, and The Netherlands are the first team to proceed to next round.

Written By: Frank on 06/19/10 at 4:37 pm

Half time in the Denmark vs Cameroon game, and both teams have scored once. But it could just as well have been 3 apiece. One of the most attractive games so far.

Yes, good game. Thought Cameroon deserved at least a tie with all their chances near the end.  Netherlands first to advance to round of 16, yes ( altho a lot of bad stuff has to happen to Argentina for them not to advance)

Written By: Henk on 06/20/10 at 12:31 am

Yes, good game. Thought Cameroon deserved at least a tie with all their chances near the end.  Netherlands first to advance to round of 16, yes ( altho a lot of bad stuff has to happen to Argentina for them not to advance)

One word: Maradona. ;D

Written By: ninny on 06/20/10 at 8:21 am

I see group F is turning into an interesting group, they are all tied at the moment at 1...I see that Paraguay just beat Slovakia.so it's down to Italy vs New Zealand.

Written By: Henk on 06/20/10 at 11:00 am

I see group F is turning into an interesting group, they are all tied at the moment at 1...I see that Paraguay just beat Slovakia.so it's down to Italy vs New Zealand.

And the shocker of the day... Italy 1 - 1 New Zealand. :o So against all odds, New Zealand are still in the race for last 16. In fact, they could even end up winners of their group!

Written By: ninny on 06/20/10 at 11:43 am

And the shocker of the day... Italy 1 - 1 New Zealand. :o So against all odds, New Zealand are still in the race for last 16. In fact, they could even end up winners of their group!

I say good for New Zealand, it's nice to see the underdog doing good,

Written By: Henk on 06/20/10 at 11:58 am

I say good for New Zealand, it's nice to see the underdog doing good,

From what I understand, New Zealand have only like 25 professional soccer players.

Written By: Paul on 06/20/10 at 3:20 pm

From what I understand, New Zealand have only like 25 professional soccer players.

I thought 25 was the entire population of New Zealand!  :D

Newsflash:

Nicolas Anelka has been expelled from the French squad and has been sent home, after allegedly insulting coach Domenech during half time in the France vs Mexico match. (Which, in retrospect, also explains his substitution)

Further newsflash...in a direct response to the above, the French squad are refusing to train!  :o

England have joined in sympathy by refusing to play!  :D

And in other news, Brazil leading Ivory Coast 3-1 (what did they expect with an England reject as manager?  ;))

And well done to Holland for rubbing our noses in it and marching into the next phase!  ::) ;)

Written By: Henk on 06/20/10 at 3:34 pm

Further newsflash...in a direct response to the above, the French squad are refusing to train!  :o

England have joined in sympathy by refusing to play!  :D

Feel the love... :D

And in other news, Brazil leading Ivory Coast 3-1 (what did they expect with an England reject as manager?  ;))

Kaka takes a red (two yellows, actually) and will be suspended for the final group match against Portugal. Not that it matters much, because Brazil have already qualified for last 16.
Ivory Coast showed their worst in the final 10-15 minutes of the game. Lots of (small) fouls and provocations, all out of frustration no doubt. The way Keita deliberately bumped into Kaka and dramatically fell down (resulting in Kaka's second yellow) was the absolute depth of the game.

And well done to Holland for rubbing our noses in it and marching into the next phase!  ::) ;)

We need to improve on our game, no doubt.

Written By: Frank on 06/20/10 at 4:39 pm

If my Italians can't score a real goal ( not penalty) against a team like New Zealand in 90 minutes, they dont; deserve to win. Not an inspired effort.

Feel the love... :D

Kaka takes a red (two yellows, actually) and will be suspended for the final group match against Portugal. Not that it matters much, because Brazil have already qualified for last 16.
Ivory Coast showed their worst in the final 10-15 minutes of the game. Lots of (small) fouls and provocations, all out of frustration no doubt. The way Keita deliberately bumped into Kaka and dramatically fell down (resulting in Kaka's second yellow) was the absolute depth of the game.

We need to improve on our game, no doubt.

Keita should be ashamed...Kaka does not deserve the red card.
For those who know more about scocer than I : can FIFA review and take away the red card from Kaka and let him play Vs Portugal??

Written By: MrCleveland on 06/20/10 at 6:17 pm

I think England and France will be going home and USA will be in the elimination round.

Written By: danootaandme on 06/20/10 at 7:38 pm

I can't believe I am watching it and liking it!

Written By: Frank on 06/21/10 at 12:36 am

I think England and France will be going home and USA will be in the elimination round.

I think England will be OK and advance.

Written By: Paul on 06/21/10 at 6:05 am

For those who know more about scocer than I : can FIFA review and take away the red card from Kaka and let him play Vs Portugal??

I think FIFA do have an 'appeal' procedure for incidents such as this, but I'm unsure over how effective it is...

Unlike France, our progression is in our hands, so if there's ever a time for us to start playing...it's now!

Written By: Frank on 06/21/10 at 11:09 am

I think FIFA do have an 'appeal' procedure for incidents such as this, but I'm unsure over how effective it is...

Thanks.
Portugal made a statement today. 7-0

Written By: Henk on 06/21/10 at 3:53 pm

I think Kaka might have been spared in the Portugal vs Brazil game either way. Brazil are in the final 16, so there's really not much reason for Brazil to protest.

Unlike France, our progression is in our hands, so if there's ever a time for us to start playing...it's now!

'Hands' being the appropriate term... ::)

Written By: Henk on 06/21/10 at 4:06 pm

'Hands' being the appropriate term... ::)

Watch the Brazil vs Ivory Coast match for further details. ;)

Spain beat Honduras 2 - 0 tonight, but will that be enough to secure a place in the final 16? I doubt it. Spain has to face Chili (who need a draw to proceed), and Spain seems to have huge problems finding the net. David Villa even missed a penalty!
Honduras also proved Spain's defense is rather vulnerable. Against a better offense than Honduras's this might prove fatal.

Switzerland face Honduras in their final match. Honduras need a win (and lots of goals) to have any chance of proceeding, while for Switzerland a draw might suffice (if Chili win their match).

Written By: Frank on 06/21/10 at 4:11 pm

Still , Spain had more missed penalty kicks than Honduras had shots on goal.
It's still possible for England, France, Italy and Spain to miss qualifying for the 2nd round. Imagine if that happens.

Written By: Paul on 06/21/10 at 4:50 pm

It's still possible for England, France, Italy and Spain to miss qualifying for the 2nd round. Imagine if that happens.

Strange things can happen when desperation sets in with one game to play!

Out of the four, Spain have proved to themselves they can actually win a game, so their confidence will be up...

France are as good as out...and the other two had better concoct something from somewhere!  ::)

Written By: Frank on 06/21/10 at 4:53 pm

Strange things can happen when desperation sets in with one game to play!

Out of the four, Spain have proved to themselves they can actually win a game, so their confidence will be up...

France are as good as out...and the other two had better concoct something from somewhere!  ::)

I know the Italians players have some disagreements with the coach as to who should play. Not a healthy thing. It's difficult to win 2 WC's in a row.

Written By: Frank on 06/22/10 at 10:00 am

France down 2-0 right now. Not looking good for them. I also think they are down to 10 men.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/22/10 at 1:46 pm

France down 2-0 right now. Not looking good for them. I also think they are down to 10 men.
France went on to lose 2-1 and are now out of the World Cup.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/22/10 at 2:46 pm

Can both matches be watch at the same time?

Written By: Henk on 06/22/10 at 2:49 pm

Can both matches be watch at the same time?

In theory, yes, because the two matches are being aired simultaneously on two different channels over here. But sadly, I have only one television. :(

Written By: Paul on 06/22/10 at 3:58 pm

As the last 16 places are beginning to be filled, lets pull Henk's predictions back up and see how he and I got on...

We both thought France would go through, how wrong we were!

A point apiece for his prediction of Uruguay and me with Mexico...

Argentina...check! We both said goodbye to Nigeria (Henk) and Greece (me) and never gave South Korea a chance!

Another point apiece...Group C & D to be decided tomorrow...

Written By: Henk on 06/22/10 at 4:23 pm

As the last 16 places are beginning to be filled, lets pull Henk's predictions back up and see how he and I got on...

We both thought France would go through, how wrong we were!

A point apiece for his prediction of Uruguay and me with Mexico...

Argentina...check! We both said goodbye to Nigeria (Henk) and Greece (me) and never gave South Korea a chance!

Another point apiece...Group C & D to be decided tomorrow...

I still don't get why Nigeria didn't try harder, especially after they'd equalized. I mean, they needed a win, but it didn't really show. Or maybe this was their best... :-\\

Written By: Frank on 06/22/10 at 5:37 pm

I still don't get why Nigeria didn't try harder, especially after they'd equalized. I mean, they needed a win, but it didn't really show. Or maybe this was their best... :-\\

One of their players missed an open net, that would have put them through. Sad.
Argentina looks good, but I want to see how they play against a team that can score, their defense is suspect so far, IMO.

Written By: Frank on 06/23/10 at 11:02 am

England and USA are through.
USA actually wins the group. Who would have thought that?

Written By: Starde on 06/23/10 at 12:14 pm

England and USA are through.
USA actually wins the group. Who would have thought that?

First time since 1930. Yyyeeaahhh! 8) I'm so happy the US and England are advancing!

Written By: Frank on 06/23/10 at 12:47 pm

I will watch the Germany game soon ( I just won't mention the war  :D)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/23/10 at 3:23 pm

Germany beat Ghana 1-0 to win Group D and will play England in second round

Written By: Paul on 06/23/10 at 3:26 pm

100% strike Henk! All four of your choces going through!

Big drama at the Oz v Serbia match, Serbia convinced they should have had a last gasp penalty...not to be!

A valiant effort by my choice Australia, but that thumping by Germany cost 'em dear...

Did I mention Germany? Oh yeah...we just adore playing them!  ::)

Written By: Frank on 06/23/10 at 3:34 pm

100% strike Henk! All four of your choces going through!

Big drama at the Oz v Serbia match, Serbia convinced they should have had a last gasp penalty...not to be!

A valiant effort by my choice Australia, but that thumping by Germany cost 'em dear...

Did I mention Germany? Oh yeah...we just adore playing them!  ::)

Germany /England will be a good match to watch. Looking forward to it.
USA will have a seemingly easier road against Ghana, and the winner of that match plays Uruguay or S. Korea. I know we are not there yet, but USA may get into the semi-finals. It's possible.

Written By: Paul on 06/23/10 at 4:02 pm

Germany /England will be a good match to watch. Looking forward to it.

Unlikely, but I won't complain if this happens...

(Yes, a rarity! Emile Heskey scoring!  :D)

Written By: Henk on 06/23/10 at 4:14 pm

Unlikely, but I won't complain if this happens...

(Yes, a rarity! Emile Heskey scoring!  :D)

I wouldn't be complaining either. ;)

Written By: Frank on 06/23/10 at 6:20 pm

I wouldn't be complaining either. ;)

At least 2 of Argentina, England and Germany won't get passed the Quarter-finals.

And one of USA, Korea, Uruguay and Ghana will make it to the semi's

Written By: Henk on 06/24/10 at 2:32 pm

Slovakia  3 - 2 Italy.
Paraguay 0 - 0 New Zealand

Italy out, France out. First time in WC history that both finalists of the previous edition are out in first round.

New Zealand only needed one goal to proceed, but no such luck. Well, maybe they didn't deserve it either. :-\\ Now it's Slovakia and Paraguay in last 16, and it looks like we'll be facing Slovakia.

Written By: Paul on 06/24/10 at 3:25 pm

Mixed fortunes for us both in these two groups...

Netherlands through comfortably, Paraguay too...

...but what on earth happened to Cameroon & Italy?  ???

I think you should be pretty happy with your next opponents, Henk... ;)

Written By: Henk on 06/24/10 at 3:27 pm

Denmark  1 - 3 Japan
Cameroon 1 - 2 The Netherlands

We already knew we would be in the last 16, so we played our usual...worst. ::) Probably our worst game so far. I don't see how we'll ever beat Slovakia this way.

Japan surprises the world and reaches last 16 too. Cameroon remain pointless.

Written By: Henk on 06/24/10 at 3:30 pm

Mixed fortunes for us both in these two groups...

Netherlands through comfortably, Paraguay too...

I wouldn't call it comfortably. Paul. The way we played is worrying.

...but what on earth happened to Cameroon & Italy?  ???

Well, they both sucked!  ;D

I think you should be pretty happy with your next opponents, Henk... ;)

Oh yeah, it should be a breeze... for Slovakia!

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/24/10 at 3:36 pm

England's crucial World Cup game against Slovenia (yesterday) was seen by an average of 10 million people, peaking at 14m.

Written By: Paul on 06/24/10 at 3:37 pm

I wouldn't call it comfortably. Paul. The way we played is worrying.

'Comfortably' as in points-wise, Henk...

And anyway, if you can play even only to half the ability and still win three on the spin, well, it won't do the confidence much harm!  ;)

Oh yeah, it should be a breeze... for Slovakia!

Now that sounds suspiciously like an England fan's mindset!  ;)

Written By: Henk on 06/24/10 at 3:40 pm

'Comfortably' as in points-wise, Henk...

And anyway, if you can play even only to half the ability and still win three on the spin, well, it won't do the confidence much harm!  ;)

Now that sounds suspiciously like an England fan's mindset!  ;)

Bert van Marwijk agrees with me. Now THAT'S worrying! ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/24/10 at 3:44 pm

TV star Declan Donnelly is one of thousands of football fans in London to miss England's all-important World Cup goal after a power cut.

Written By: Paul on 06/24/10 at 3:48 pm

TV star Declan Donnelly is one of thousands of football fans in London to miss England's all-important World Cup goal after a power cut.

A pity I can't seem to miss any of Declan Donnelly's shows due to a power cut... :P

Written By: Henk on 06/24/10 at 4:03 pm

A pity I can't seem to miss any of Declan Donnelly's shows due to a power cut... :P

Create your own...

Written By: Frank on 06/24/10 at 9:43 pm

Italy played terrible ( until the last 10 minutes)
Their shots were poor, passes innaccurate, defensively poor. Did not deserve to win. Sad day for Italy.
Hard to win 2 WC's in a row. Big changes to be made, out with the old, new blood will come.

Netherlands seems to have an easy road to the Semi's.

Written By: Paul on 06/25/10 at 6:44 am

Tell that to Henk!  ;)

Written By: Frank on 06/25/10 at 11:45 am

Tell that to Henk!  ;)

Instead of Playing Italy, they get Slovakia for now..
But then potential against Brazil I think or possibly Spain, depending on the outcome of today's later matches
I should have written "Easier road to the QF's, not SF..." Doh!

An Easier time than Germany or England, they'd have to face Argentina next, and it's only the QFs

Written By: karen on 06/25/10 at 12:22 pm

quick question: Do the winners of the world cup automatically qualify the next time?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/25/10 at 1:06 pm

quick question: Do the winners of the world cup automatically qualify the next time?
THe host country always does.

Written By: Frank on 06/25/10 at 1:16 pm

It used to be that way, but no longer (since 2006).
Only thehost country automatically qualifies now (as Philip mentioned)

Written By: Paul on 06/25/10 at 4:12 pm

Right again, Henk!

Switzerland started off strong, then kind of petered out...so Chile snuck in!

In all Henk, not a bad set of predictions at all!  :)

Interesting to note that in the last 16, there are only 6 European nations involved (and this will be whittled down to 3 come the quarters!)

This, apparently, is a new all-time low for the tournament!

Written By: MrCleveland on 06/25/10 at 4:58 pm

I'm concerned about US v. Ghana.

US May have the good team, but Ghana could slip into the 8.

But still...Go USA!

Written By: Paul on 06/25/10 at 5:15 pm

I'm concerned about US v. Ghana.

US May have the good team, but Ghana could slip into the 8.

From what I've seen of the teams so far, it's anyone's game!

Good luck and go for it!

Written By: Henk on 06/26/10 at 1:29 am

Tell that to Henk!  ;)

I've heard some commentators talk like we've already won the WC. The only obstacle of any real importance (in their eyes) is Brazil, and even that doesn't worry them the slightest... :-\\
I say we still have four games to play (hopefully), and four opponents to beat before we finally reach our goal of WORLD DOMINATION!!1!!!111!! :D.

Written By: danootaandme on 06/26/10 at 4:55 am

I'm getting into this soccer, but today the game is at 2:30 and we have a birthday party from 1-4.  It is at a restaurant, luckily, I think the hosts are into it, too, and there we will be able to watch during the party.

Written By: Henk on 06/26/10 at 5:18 am

I'm getting into this soccer, but today the game is at 2:30 and we have a birthday party from 1-4.  It is at a restaurant, luckily, I think the hosts are into it, too, and there we will be able to watch during the party.

Actually, there are two games today. Although I admit South Korea vs Uruguay doesn't sound very promising. ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/26/10 at 5:49 am

German striker Cacau ruled out of England match on Sunday with stomach muscle strain

Written By: Henk on 06/26/10 at 6:06 am

German striker Cacau ruled out of England match on Sunday with stomach muscle strain

Who needs Cacau (cocoa) when you can have tea anyway? :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/26/10 at 6:19 am

Who needs Cacau (cocoa) when you can have tea anyway? :D
Tea will win the day for England!

Written By: Henk on 06/26/10 at 12:59 pm

Uruguay 2 - 1 South Korea

Two goals by Luis Suarez, and Uruguay proceed to quarter finals for the first time since 1970.

Written By: Henk on 06/26/10 at 3:23 pm

United States 1 - 1 Ghana

Full time score, as both teams take the game into extra time.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/26/10 at 3:32 pm

Uruguay 2 - 1 South Korea
So during the World Cup 2010, there was not the encounter of North Korea playing South Korea.

Written By: Henk on 06/26/10 at 4:02 pm

United States 1 - 1 Ghana

Full time score, as both teams take the game into extra time.

United States 1 - 2 Ghana (AET)

Sorry guys... :-\\

Written By: Frank on 06/26/10 at 4:15 pm

USA in gone - ah
It was a very close game, but nice to see an African country moving on.

Written By: ninny on 06/26/10 at 5:00 pm

USA in gone - ah
It was a very close game, but nice to see an African country moving on.

Not..just kidding, no I'm pissed after Ghana scored in overtime it's like the US. just gave up :( >:(

Written By: Starde on 06/26/10 at 5:38 pm

We kicked ourselves in the ass and got completely outplayed by Ghana! I can't believe we let them score a goal during extra time! This was pretty much a repeat of 2006. :( >:( We tried, but not hard enough. Well, the better team won so congrats to Ghana. Here's to 2014! I swear to God, if England and Mexico disappoint me tomorrow...

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/27/10 at 8:20 am

England captain Steven Gerrard: 

"This is a game where you have to stand up and be counted. When you are growing up, it is the stage you want to be playing at. There could be a big moment in the game that can define any player's career. But you look forward to it. It is a fantastic game to play in. Everyone is excited."

Written By: Henk on 06/27/10 at 8:21 am

This means that either Ghana or Uruguay will make it to semi finals. Who'd have thought?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/27/10 at 8:26 am

This means that either Ghana or Uruguay will make it to semi finals. Who'd have thought?
Possibly Uruguay but not Ghana.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/27/10 at 8:26 am

German tennis legend Boris Becker: 

"I can't believe you guys got so excited about a group match against Slovenia. Back home, we don't even start watching until the knockout stages. And don't count on us missing a penalty - it only happens once every 28 years. I guess it's going to be the same old story."

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/27/10 at 8:38 am

Germany v England stats: 

- Germany have reached the last eight in every World Cup they have competed in since 1938.
- England have never won a knockout match against a former world champion on foreign soil.
- Germany have the best penalty shootout record in World Cups.
- England have the worst penalty shootout record in World Cups.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/27/10 at 9:52 am

Stand by for some controversy over referee's decisions and viewing of the game!

Written By: Bobo on 06/27/10 at 9:57 am

*shakes head*

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/27/10 at 9:59 am

*shakes head*
It was clearly in!

btw, I am not even watching the footie, I am watching the other England team that is playing today.

Written By: Bobo on 06/27/10 at 10:00 am

If only Churchill the dog was the assistant referee.

"Was that a goal?"
"Oh yes!"

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/27/10 at 10:02 am

At half-time the Uruguayan referee Jorge Larrionda picks the ball up and boos ring out from the England fans in the crowd.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/27/10 at 10:03 am

Fifa President Sepp Blatter, the man who is so desperate to stop the introduction of goalline technology, is at the Free State Stadium in Bloemfontein.

Written By: Paul on 06/27/10 at 12:41 pm

Rather same-old story with England again...qualify, then turn in insipid, below-par performances...lather...rinse...repeat... :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/27/10 at 12:49 pm

Rather same-old story with England again...qualify, then turn in insipid, below-par performances...lather...rinse...repeat... :P
Please bear in mind that my England team won today.

Written By: MrCleveland on 06/27/10 at 12:55 pm

Please bear in mind that my England team won today.

Phillip...

Cry on the shoulder of the Damn Yankees...for they got blown-out by Ghana again.

There's always 2014. :(

Written By: Frank on 06/27/10 at 3:43 pm

I know that prior to the World cup, there was genuine concern for security in South Africa. What I didn't know was that all the robberies would occur on the field during the actual game!  :D

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01667/LampardGoal_1667669c.jpg

Seriously though,

Argentina /Germany will be a good match.  Wonder how many goal controversies will happen in that game.

Written By: Henk on 06/27/10 at 4:06 pm

It is quite clear to the world (save Sepp Blatter) that we need video umpires. England were robbed of the equalizer, and Tevez scores for Argentina in offside position. Hadn't it been for those two incorrect decisions...

Written By: Frank on 06/27/10 at 4:17 pm

It is quite clear to the world (save Sepp Blatter) that we need video umpires. England were robbed of the equalizer, and Tevez scores for Argentina in offside position. Hadn't it been for those two incorrect decisions...

Thats' right, we'll never really know. They might have been game changing calls. (Although in the 1 game I still think Argentina would have won)

Written By: Paul on 06/27/10 at 4:36 pm

Thats' right, we'll never really know. They might have been game changing calls. (Although in the 1 game I still think Argentina would have won)

Not so sure with regard to the England game...

Due to our back line not bothering to turn up, I think Germany would have still turned us over!

And now it transpires that there was 'dissent' within the England camp throughout the tournament!

I daresay the inquest will run and run...

Written By: Frank on 06/27/10 at 6:08 pm

Not so sure with regard to the England game...

Due to our back line not bothering to turn up, I think Germany would have still turned us over!

And now it transpires that there was 'dissent' within the England camp throughout the tournament!

I daresay the inquest will run and run...

I thought Johnson (Glen) did not play well in this tournament, and I am wondering if Rooney has some sort of injury, he was mostly ineffective.  I would like to know what the dissent was..

And from a Canadian point of view, I feel bad for Gerrard, Lampard, Terry and maybe Ashley Cole's last time in the World Cup.

Written By: Paul on 06/28/10 at 1:11 pm

Argentina safely through last night (if Germany would have somehow failed to stop us, I'm sure this mob would have!) and Holland progressing to the quarters with a slightly underwhelming performance against the Slovaks who fancied their luck once or twice!

If everything go according to the script, Holland should face Brazil in the quarters...and they may have to up their game a touch...

Wishing you and yours all the best, Henk... :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/28/10 at 3:13 pm

http://s2.b3ta.com/host/creative/68761/1277333333/bzzzz.gif

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/28/10 at 3:20 pm

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01074/goal_line_682_1074706a.jpg

With altered goal line, what the linesman really saw at the England v Germany 2010 World Cup match.

Written By: Henk on 06/28/10 at 3:21 pm

Well, Brazil just beat Chili 3 to 0, so yes...everything's still going according to script.

I don't really see how we ever gonna beat those Brazilians, but you never know. We might have the ref on our side... ::)

Written By: Frank on 06/28/10 at 4:10 pm

Well, Brazil just beat Chili 3 to 0, so yes...everything's still going according to script.

I don't really see how we ever gonna beat those Brazilians, but you never know. We might have the ref on our side... ::)

I was impressed by how few mistakes Holland made today. They looked good. Chile had many chances against Brazil in the last 20 minutes that Holland might have scored on. Chile was also without a few defenders because of yellow cards, and Netherlands D is better than Chile's.
I do give Holland a fair chance against Brazil. .

Argentina Vs Germany
and
Netherlands Vs Brazil

will be 2 potentially great games. Can't wait.

Written By: Bobo on 06/29/10 at 8:27 am

Backstage at Glastonbury, Stevie Wonder was heard to say, "Even I thought it was in!"

Written By: Frank on 06/29/10 at 9:57 am

Yesterday, the last play of the game...penalty kick.
He shoots!
He scores!

Game over!

His team...loses?
That's what happened to Slovakia yesterday.

So far Japan /Paraguay is not the most exciting game ever.

Written By: MrCleveland on 06/29/10 at 3:26 pm

Yesterday, the last play of the game...penalty kick.
He shoots!
He scores!

Game over!

His team...loses?
That's what happened to Slovakia yesterday.

So far Japan /Paraguay is not the most exciting game ever.

Oddly enough...The U.S.-Ghana Game may have been the most exciting game since it went to extra minutes.

Give The U.S. A couple more years, we have a young team, but Argentina may go all the way!

Written By: Frank on 06/29/10 at 11:01 pm

Friday:

Uruguay Vs Ghana
Netherlands Vs Brazil

Saturday:

Argentina Vs Germany
Spain Vs Paraguay

I say Uruguay and Spain win their games. The other two...hard to pick...we will lose 2 great teams.

Written By: MrCleveland on 07/01/10 at 4:22 pm

Friday:

Uruguay Vs Ghana
Netherlands Vs Brazil

Saturday:

Argentina Vs Germany
Spain Vs Paraguay

I say Uruguay and Spain win their games. The other two...hard to pick...we will lose 2 great teams.

Here's who I see...

Uruguay, Netherlands, Argentina, and Spain.

I think it will be Spain vs. Argentina this year.

Written By: ninny on 07/02/10 at 10:14 am

I got to cheer for The Netherlands now tied with Brazil 1-1. I also have to cheer for Germany because I still have relatives that live there.

Written By: ninny on 07/02/10 at 10:52 am

Congratulations to The Netherlands :)

Written By: Paul on 07/02/10 at 10:57 am

I don't really see how we ever gonna beat those Brazilians, but you never know.

Well, well...famous last words, Henk!  ;)

Very well done!  :)

Written By: Frank on 07/02/10 at 11:08 am

Netherlands were the better team. They were hungrier for the ball, won most of the "one on one" battles, and have a great chance to get to the finals now.

Happy for ya, Henk!

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/02/10 at 12:31 pm

Football Association announces that Fabio Capello will stay on as England manager

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/02/10 at 12:31 pm

Well, well...famous last words, Henk!  ;)

Very well done!  :)
Ha-Ha to Kaká?

Written By: Henk on 07/02/10 at 3:30 pm

Ha-Ha to Kaká?

..And karma to Philip. ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/02/10 at 3:32 pm

..And karma to Philip. ;)
Thanks, and well done on your team today.

Written By: Henk on 07/02/10 at 3:33 pm

Here's who I see...

Uruguay, Netherlands, Argentina, and Spain.

I think it will be Spain vs. Argentina this year.

Impossible. Only one of the two can make it to the final. ...Or neither, that's also still a possibility.

Written By: Henk on 07/02/10 at 3:34 pm

Meanwhile, Uruguay and Ghana (tied at 1 all) take their game into extra time.

Written By: Henk on 07/02/10 at 4:04 pm

Dying seconds of extra time... a great save by Luis Suarez, but he's not a goalie so he's not supposed to do it with his hands. Red card... and a penalty...

... but Gyan hits the crossbar.

Written By: Henk on 07/02/10 at 4:05 pm

So now it's penalties. Five each, for starters.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/02/10 at 4:05 pm

Dying seconds of extra time... a great save by Luis Suarez, but he's not a goalie so he's not supposed to do it with his hands. Red card... and a penalty...

... but Gyan hits the crossbar.
Oh my...

Written By: Henk on 07/02/10 at 4:18 pm

So now it's penalties. Five each, for starters.

And Uruguay win (4 - 2). Sad day for Ghana, sad day for Africa.

They were really, really close. So close, they could smell it. But 'almost' doesn't count in the cruel world of sports.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/02/10 at 4:21 pm

By rights, Ghana should have won!

Written By: Henk on 07/02/10 at 4:24 pm

Netherlands were the better team. They were hungrier for the ball, won most of the "one on one" battles, and have a great chance to get to the finals now.

Happy for ya, Henk!

I'm happy too, though I had great doubts following the first half. First goal was a lucky one, but thankfully Brazil didn't recover from that setback.

I believe it's the first time since 1974 that we beat Brazil, so it was about time. :D

Written By: Henk on 07/02/10 at 4:26 pm

They were really, really close. So close, they could smell it. But 'almost' doesn't count in the cruel world of sports.

First time since 1970 for Uruguay to reach the semi finals.

I think we can handle them, although of the four times we met we actually lost three times.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/02/10 at 4:29 pm

Tomorrow looks interesting:

Argentina v Germany

and

Paraguay v Spain

Written By: Henk on 07/03/10 at 3:39 am

I hadn't realized, but it is only the fourth time for us to reach the final four in the WC. We played the final in 1974 and 1978 (lost both times) and got stuck in the semi final in 1998 (where we lost...to Brazil). Let's go all the way this time!

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/03/10 at 3:40 am

I hadn't realized, but it is only the fourth time for us to reach the final four in the WC. We played the final in 1974 and 1978 (lost both times) and got stuck in the semi final in 1998 (where we lost...to Brazil). Let's go all the way this time!
....and bearing in mind that Urugary should not be in the semis.

Written By: Henk on 07/03/10 at 4:25 am

....and bearing in mind that Urugary should not be in the semis.

Well, why not? They won fair and square. Ghana had the chance, but didn't take it. Can't blame Uruguay for that.

Written By: Henk on 07/03/10 at 10:50 am

Argentina 0 - 4 Germany.

...Ouch!

Written By: Frank on 07/03/10 at 11:01 am

Argentina 0 - 4 Germany.

...Ouch!

Everyone saw that coming..4-0 Germany... :D

Written By: Starde on 07/03/10 at 1:22 pm

Argentina got owned! Plain and simple. 8)

Written By: MrCleveland on 07/03/10 at 2:26 pm

Well...no 1978 Rematch. :(

It may be Netherlands vs. Germany and it'l be Germany all the way!

Written By: Henk on 07/03/10 at 2:53 pm

Paraguay vs Spain... stil tied at 0 - 0.

59th minute: penalty for Paraguay! Cardozo...fails. :(

And from the following breakout...

61st minute: penalty for Spain! Alonso... scores!  :D

But wait... referee blows his whsitle. What's wrong..?  :-\\ Not sure, but penalty has to be taken again.

Still 61st minute... Alonso again... and he fails!

So it's still a no score draw. But finally some excitement.

Written By: Henk on 07/03/10 at 2:55 pm

Well...no 1978 Rematch. :(

Sadly no.

It may be Netherlands vs. Germany and it'l be Germany all the way!

A 1974 rematch. But with a different result I'm hoping. ::)

Written By: Henk on 07/03/10 at 3:24 pm

Paraguay vs Spain... stil tied at 0 - 0.

59th minute: penalty for Paraguay! Cardozo...fails. :(

And from the following breakout...

61st minute: penalty for Spain! Alonso... scores!  :D

But wait... referee blows his whsitle. What's wrong..?  :-\\ Not sure, but penalty has to be taken again.

Still 61st minute... Alonso again... and he fails!

So it's still a no score draw. But finally some excitement.

A 83th minute goal by David Villa (who else..?) proves decisive. Spain win 1 - 0, and move on to the semis (for the first time ever).

Written By: Frank on 07/03/10 at 4:16 pm

A 83th minute goal by David Villa (who else..?) proves decisive. Spain win 1 - 0, and move on to the semis (for the first time ever).

Sadly no.

A 1974 rematch. But with a different result I'm hoping. ::)

Seems like a possible '74 rematch. Did anyone here (other than I)  see that '74 final?

Written By: Paul on 07/03/10 at 4:18 pm

Argentina got owned! Plain and simple. 8)

One in the eye for a certain D. Maradona, who was quoted as saying that only South American teams were playing the World Cup the way it should be played...

...funny how three of 'em were sent packing by European teams!  :D

He was also quoted as saying he would parade the streets of Buenos Aries naked if Argentina won the tournament...

...so at least we're spared that!

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/03/10 at 5:00 pm

One in the eye for a certain D. Maradona, who was quoted as saying that only South American teams were playing the World Cup the way it should be played...

...funny how three of 'em were sent packing by European teams!  :D

He was also quoted as saying he would parade the streets of Buenos Aries naked if Argentina won the tournament...

...so at least we're spared that!
...no cardiac arrests then?

Written By: Henk on 07/03/10 at 5:21 pm

...no cardiac arrests then?

Maybe no collective cardiac arrest, but Maradona might still suffer one.

Written By: Frank on 07/03/10 at 5:29 pm

Maybe no collective cardiac arrest, but Maradona might still suffer one.

Or have a drink, or 20...

Written By: Henk on 07/04/10 at 12:42 am

Whenever I see Maradona, I'm reminded of this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXuv7m-5_gw

Written By: Paul on 07/04/10 at 5:25 am

^
And we're not talking about the ones on the pitch!

Pains me to say it, but all the evidence (and smart money) is pointing towards the Germans reclaiming the cup... :-\\

(Surely no coincidence that the team who normally knocks England out goes on to win the thing...)

Still, a lot can happen between here and there...

Written By: Henk on 07/04/10 at 8:11 am

^
And we're not talking about the ones on the pitch!

I wouldn't be too sure about that. ;)

Pains me to say it, but all the evidence (and smart money) is pointing towards the Germans reclaiming the cup... :-\\

(Surely no coincidence that the team who normally knocks England out goes on to win the thing...)

Still, a lot can happen between here and there...

I think Germany will beat Spain, yes. But if we make it to the final (and I expect we will) we're gonna give them a good run for their money. If only because they robbed us of the title in 1974.

Written By: Paul on 07/04/10 at 10:47 am

I think Germany will beat Spain, yes. But if we make it to the final (and I expect we will) we're gonna give them a good run for their money. If only because they robbed us of the title in 1974.

I'd like to see someone 'different' win the tournament for once...and there's a three to one chance of that happening...

But make no mistake, the Germans are more more calculatingly efficient than they've ever been!  :-\\

(Probably why everyone hates 'em!)

Written By: Henk on 07/04/10 at 11:18 am

I'd like to see someone 'different' win the tournament for once...and there's a three to one chance of that happening...

Actually, it's a 50/50 chance because Uruguay already won the title twice back in a time that no-one can really remember. ;)

But make no mistake, the Germans are more more calculatingly efficient than they've ever been!  :-\\

(Probably why everyone hates 'em!)

Joachim Löw has studied Louis van Gaal and adopted the 'Dutch' style of play. Which means that the Dutch win, either way. :D

Oh, and having Germany for a neighbor means we can't really afford to hate them.

Written By: Frank on 07/05/10 at 8:27 pm

Good luck to Henk's ORANGE tomorrow. :)

Written By: Henk on 07/06/10 at 2:40 am

Good luck to Henk's ORANGE tomorrow. :)

You mean today. ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/06/10 at 2:22 pm

HALF-TIME  Uruguay 1-1 Netherlands 

I thought the Jabulani was making long-range goals impossible? Gio van Bronckhorst and Diego Forlan's long-range strikes mean we're level pegging in Cape Town.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/06/10 at 3:43 pm

And the score at full time was................

Written By: Henk on 07/06/10 at 3:45 pm

HALF-TIME  Uruguay 1-1 Netherlands

FULL TIME Uruguay 2 - 3 Netherlands. Yay!! :D

I thought the Jabulani was making long-range goals impossible? Gio van Bronckhorst and Diego Forlan's long-range strikes mean we're level pegging in Cape Town.

They are the exception to the rule. The number of shots wide or over is a gazillion times bigger.

Written By: Paul on 07/06/10 at 4:04 pm

FULL TIME Uruguay 2 - 3 Netherlands. Yay!! :D

Superb stuff, Henk! Bet the nation's going wild!  :D

Rather odd how Uruguay decided to come to life in the last five minutes...still, too late in the day!

The final place to be decided tomorrow of course...wonder who it'll be?  ::) ;)

Written By: Frank on 07/06/10 at 4:15 pm

Superb stuff, Henk! Bet the nation's going wild!  :D

Rather odd how Uruguay decided to come to life in the last five minutes...still, too late in the day!

The final place to be decided tomorrow of course...wonder who it'll be?  ::) ;)

And why was Forlan replaced? Don't understand that.
It wasn't easy, but Netherlands won. Great stuff. Henk must be going crazy now....

Written By: Henk on 07/07/10 at 6:35 am

Superb stuff, Henk! Bet the nation's going wild!  :D

The final place to be decided tomorrow of course...wonder who it'll be?  ::) ;)

Holland went completely mad. :D I wonder what will happen when we actually win the final... ;D I remember when we won the EC in 1988. The Dutch team made a tour on a canal boat through the Amsterdam canals. Police estimated there were 1,000,000 people standing along the canals. Let's multiply that by three in case of a WC...

And why was Forlan replaced? Don't understand that.

I don't think anyone understood. Maybe Forlan was injured..? That's the only reason I can think of.

It wasn't easy, but Netherlands won. Great stuff. Henk must be going crazy now....

Nay, but I might go crazy after the final.

Germany or Spain? Hmm.  :-\\ I hope it will be Germany.

No, we didn't play very well (again) and for some 30 minutes I felt like we were going to lose the match. But then, out of the blue, came the Sneijder goal and we were back on top of things.
This seems to be our strength this tournament: we score when the opponent least expects it. Can't credit that all to luck...

Written By: Frank on 07/07/10 at 10:15 am

So Henk, today we will find out who will lose to Holland on Sunday. Excited?

Written By: Henk on 07/07/10 at 2:44 pm

So Henk, today we will find out who will lose to Holland on Sunday. Excited?

Not really. And the game doesn't give me much reason to, either.

Written By: Henk on 07/07/10 at 2:46 pm

Not really. And the game doesn't give me much reason to, either.

Much to my surprise (and many others, I assume) Spain has had the best chances of scoring so far.

Written By: Paul on 07/07/10 at 3:02 pm

Much to my surprise (and many others, I assume) Spain has had the best chances of scoring so far.

And score they eventually did!  :D

(Which suits me fine!)

Written By: Henk on 07/07/10 at 3:05 pm

And score they eventually did!  :D

(Which suits me fine!)

But they're playing Germany... ::)

Written By: Henk on 07/07/10 at 3:09 pm

Pedro messes up a HUGE opportunity to seal Germany's fate.

Written By: Paul on 07/07/10 at 3:15 pm

But they're playing Germany... ::)

Tch! As far as I can see, only one team's playing!  ;)

(Why can Germany never play like this against England?)

Written By: Henk on 07/07/10 at 3:20 pm

Your wish will be granted. Two teams that have never before been World Champions will face each other in the final.

Written By: Paul on 07/07/10 at 3:22 pm

Well, bye-bye Germany...beaten by a solitary Spanish goal!

So my 'wish' has come true...there'll be a 'new' World Champion come Sunday...

Interesting fact, Holland and Spain have never met in a Euro Championship or World Cup match...until now!

What a baptism of fire that promises to be!

Written By: Henk on 07/07/10 at 3:23 pm

Interesting fact, Holland and Spain have never met in a Euro Championship or World Cup match...until now!

I say there's a 50/50 chance we win. :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/07/10 at 3:25 pm

Two teams that have never before been World Champions will face each other in the final.
That is the way I wish to see the final being played.

Written By: Frank on 07/07/10 at 6:42 pm

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition victory...

Written By: Paul on 07/08/10 at 2:07 pm

Breaking news...

New England kit sponsor announced...

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs159.snc4/37310_410387978951_650373951_4616612_4172220_n.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/08/10 at 2:11 pm

Breaking news...

New England kit sponsor announced...

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs159.snc4/37310_410387978951_650373951_4616612_4172220_n.jpg
Brilliant!

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/08/10 at 2:23 pm

Englishman Howard Webb has been chosen to referee the World Cup final between Netherlands and Spain in Johannesburg on Sunday, Fifa has confirmed.

The 38-year-old Yorkshireman has had a good tournament so far, as have his assistants Michael Mullarkey and Darren Cann, who will join him in the final.

Written By: Paul on 07/08/10 at 2:36 pm

Englishman Howard Webb has been chosen to referee the World Cup final between Netherlands and Spain in Johannesburg on Sunday, Fifa has confirmed.

The 38-year-old Yorkshireman has had a good tournament so far, as have his assistants Michael Mullarkey and Darren Cann, who will join him in the final.

About the closest we'll ever get to having Englishmen in the final!  ::)

On another note, I wonder if that score-foretelling octopus ever got eaten by disgruntled Germans?

Written By: Henk on 07/08/10 at 4:28 pm

I was hoping he'd be given the honor.

On another note, I wonder if that score-foretelling octopus ever got eaten by disgruntled Germans?

I heard some rumour about a giant paella, but I'm not sure whether to believe this or not. ::)

Written By: Frank on 07/10/10 at 3:43 pm

Nice exciting 3rd place game. Germany wins 3-2. Both teams has passion and went for it.
Forlan almost ties it in the end.

Written By: Paul on 07/11/10 at 11:08 am

Exciting, yes...but still a completely pointless exercise...

I mean, who's actually interested in who comes third, or fourth?  ???

Other than FIFA, who'll squeeze out any last bit of cash floating around!

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/11/10 at 1:09 pm

Which team did the score-foretelling octopus go for in the final?

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/11/10 at 1:40 pm

Nelson Mandela appears at the closing ceremony of the 2010 World Cup ahead of the final between the Netherlands and Spain in Johannesburg.

Written By: Paul on 07/11/10 at 4:17 pm

Which team did the score-foretelling octopus go for in the final?

Seems he didn't end up on someone's dinner plate and he got it right again...picking Spain!

Not the most vintage of finals, with both teams fairly evenly matched...

...but sadly, the talking point is going to be a very poor refereeing decision, whereby a blatant Holland corner somehow turned into a Spain goal kick from which the Spanish eventually scored from in the second period of extra time...

I would imagine Henk is eating these very words about Howard Webb rather morosely now...

I was hoping he'd be given the honor.

...so once again, Holland three times finalists, but still no tournament win... :(

Written By: Henk on 07/11/10 at 4:29 pm

Seems he didn't end up on someone's dinner plate and he got it right again...picking Spain!

Not the most vintage of finals, with both teams fairly evenly matched...

...but sadly, the talking point is going to be a very poor refereeing decision, whereby a blatant Holland corner somehow turned into a Spain goal kick from which the Spanish eventually scored from in the second period of extra time...

I did notice Webb missed the corner, but to be honest I didn't realize the following attack lead to the winning goal.
Though I feel sorry for the guys (especially Giovanni van Bronckhorst) I'm not terribly upset. Somehow I already felt this wasn't going to be our night.

And on the bright side: I now get to sleep undisturbed tonight, plus we still have something to play for in four years from now. ;)

I would imagine Henk is eating these very words about Howard Webb rather morosely now...

...so once again, Holland three times finalists, but still no tournament win... :(

Quite the contrary! If Howard Webb had seen the replays that we got to see, we (the Dutch) would've been down to nine men before half time.

Written By: Frank on 07/12/10 at 12:09 am

I did notice Webb missed the corner, but to be honest I didn't realize the following attack lead to the winning goal.
Though I feel sorry for the guys (especially Giovanni van Bronckhorst) I'm not terribly upset. Somehow I already felt this wasn't going to be our night.

And on the bright side: I now get to sleep undisturbed tonight, plus we still have something to play for in four years from now. ;)

Quite the contrary! If Howard Webb had seen the replays that we got to see, we (the Dutch) would've been down to nine men before half time.

Howard "Yellow card" Webb...
Not a thrilling game. Rough play on both sides.
On to 2014 in Brazil.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/12/10 at 1:43 am

Now can the octopus be put to better use, like solving the current political situation?

Written By: Frank on 07/12/10 at 9:52 am

Now can the octopus be put to better use, like solving the current political situation?

I say we should use it to plug the oil leak in the U.S.

Written By: MrCleveland on 07/12/10 at 11:56 am

Hooray for Spain for its 1st World Cup!

And as for USA...There's always 2014 (They have a better chance than any Cleveland Team)!

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/12/10 at 12:15 pm

I say we should use it to plug the oil leak in the U.S.
Brillant, now how do we approach this?

Written By: Frank on 07/12/10 at 10:29 pm

Brillant, now how do we approach this?

Stick a Spanish flag down at the leak, and let it swim to it and cover it.

Written By: Henk on 07/13/10 at 1:13 pm

Latest news is that he's retiring. He's two years old - quite the age for an octopus, apparently... :-\\

Stick a Spanish flag down at the leak, and let it swim to it and cover it.

;D

Written By: Henk on 07/13/10 at 1:19 pm

Howard "Yellow card" Webb...
Not a thrilling game. Rough play on both sides.
On to 2014 in Brazil.

Well, to be honest... I found the WC as a whole rather disappointing. Not one that will go down in the history books (not for the sporting achievements, anyway).

Although they didn't win, the Dutch team got a heroes welcome anyway, with a canal boat tour and a public homage in Amsterdam. Several hundreds of thousands of people came to see it and cheer the team.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/14/10 at 1:06 am

Referee Howard Webb says he has no regrets over his handling of Sunday's ill-tempered World Cup final between Spain and the Netherlands in which he handed out one red and 14 yellow cards.

Check for new replies or respond here...