inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Pop Warner Rip Off

Written By: danootaandme on 12/02/07 at 7:32 am

So the city midget Pop Warner team has made it to the playoffs in Florida.  They  managed to make enough money to take the trip, because although they are young and worked hard to get to the finals, the finals are really only open to those who can afford to get there, and,it is also required that the team stay in the Disney Hotels.  The real reason for all this isn't for the teams or players, if it was they wouldn't require all these kids to lose a week of school.  The "Super Bowl " just happens to coincide with a very slow time on the resorts schedule. Let's face it.  What this is really all about is making money for Disney by having these teams pay to go to a venue where they can be scouted at an early age, and pay for the "priviledge".  School sports are a cut throat business at the youngest levels, you have to believe that there are bets being placed on these games as we speak.

Subject: Re: Pop Warner Rip Off

Written By: j oakes on 11/22/09 at 7:50 pm

as a parent of 4 children and a partner of a pop warner  board member i find it appalling that parents are given the opportunity to add to disney profits and driven by guilt be obligated to send cheerleaders   and football players                                 to compete for 2 3  minutes or 1 game                              with parents who are in dire financial straits and cant handle daily financial obligations that they have  i know personally the heartbreaking experience of having to tell a child we cant afford it does disney offer reduced rates for families that cant afford it or do they allow for these hearts to be broken with disregard for their loss of revenue for the good of these children dont think so  so kiss mickeys ass for me  you got my last thousands

Written By: Satish on 12/07/09 at 10:31 pm

I was discussing this with some people, and they think you might be making this a bigger issue than it really is.

Participants are required to purchase a package that includes one of two Disney hotels, and they feel the prices are reasonable.

Have a look:

http://www.popwarner.com/09superbowl/Pop%20Warner%202009%20Manual%20-%20Package%20Information.pdf

Written By: danootaandme on 12/08/09 at 7:05 am

The price in and of itself may not look bad, but you have to multiply it by whatever many rooms considering team coaches and chaperones, and all teams are required to buy the Disney package, you can't find cheaper accomodations and compete.  They don't allow teams to stay in any of the condominium accomodations where they would be able to have kitchen facilities.  They are obligated to purchase Disney meals at Disney prices. The price also doesn't include transportation, that has to be added in. This is a marketing/money making tool for Disney to beef up the slowest time of the year.

Check for new replies or respond here...