inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Motherwell Footballer Dies On Pitch

Written By: Henk on 12/29/07 at 4:30 pm

Sad but true...

(From Sky News:)
Motherwell captain and former Celtic and Sheffield Wednesday player Phil O'Donnell fell to the ground during his team's match against Dundee United.

O'Donnell, 35, was taken off the pitch at Fir Park on a stretcher 12 minutes from the end of the Clydesdale Bank Premier League match, Motherwell Football Club chairman Bill Dickie said.

He was set to be replaced by substitute Marc Fitzpatrick in a match that Motherwell won 5-3 but fell to the pitch as the change was taking place.

After being treated for around five minutes on the field, Mr O'Donnell was carried off on a stretcher to a waiting ambulance.

Phil O'Donnell was declared dead at 17:18 PM (GMT).

Read more here or here.

RIP Phil O'Donnell.

Subject: Re: Motherwell Footballer Dies On Pitch

Written By: Bobo on 12/29/07 at 8:11 pm

I was about to do an article on this very incident, Henk, I was, oddly enough, too sad about it to do one last night. Incredibly, I had the good-fortune to meet O'Donnell at the height of his fame, back in the mid-90s when the lad picked up his only Scotland cap.

This loss is as surreal and tragic to me as the loss of Marc Vivien-Foe some four and a half years ago.

Subject: Re: Motherwell Footballer Dies On Pitch

Written By: Henk on 12/30/07 at 1:40 am

I was about to do an article on this very incident, Henk, I was, oddly enough, too sad about it to do one last night. Incredibly, I had the good-fortune to meet O'Donnell at the height of his fame, back in the mid-90s when the lad picked up his only Scotland cap.

This loss is as surreal and tragic to me as the loss of Marc Vivien-Foe some four and a half years ago.

Wow...actually knowing the guy makes it all the more sad.

I've never met Phil O'Donnell, and I don't even know if I've ever seen him play... I just happened to stumble across this sad news yesterday evening.

Check for new replies or respond here...