inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2008 MLB Season

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/31/07 at 11:13 pm

Will Boston repeat as World Series champs?  Will the Yankees stand in their way?  Will the Cubs actually win one before 2015?  Will players stop taking steroids?

Stay tuned.

Subject: Re: 2008 MLB Season

Written By: nally on 01/01/08 at 12:28 am

Three more months.....until the start of the season, that is.

To celebrate their 50th anniversary of moving to Los Angeles, the Dodgers are going to play one game in the L.A. Coliseum. I'm not sure when that'll be, but it might be the weekend before they start their regular season.

Written By: La Roche on 01/13/08 at 8:37 am

We just traded Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus!

What a result!

Glaus is a machine in the AL east, Imagine him in the NL central!  :o This is the protection that Albert needs.

Here's how the heart of the order currently stacks up:

Duncan - LH - Big Power Bat, Adam Dunn but less honed.
Albert - RH - Best in the game.
Glaus - RH - Has averaged 32+ Jacks per season and will finally be playing on real turf, giving him almost certain better numbers.
Ankiel - LH - We all know about this guy.
Rasmus - LH - The most exciting position prospect in the majors. Considered the best defensive prospect there is with power numbers to boot.

There's a lot of talk at the moment of sending Chris Duncan and Brad Thompson to Pittsburgh and picking up Jack Wilson and Jason Bay. Now, Jack Wilson I can take or leave, in theory he could be a pretty good leadoff man and he's not a bad shortstop, but Jason Bay.. Dang! Bay, Pujols, Glaus, Ankiel, Rasmus. Carlos Zambrano must be s**ting himself!

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/13/08 at 9:44 am

...well, as long as Ankiel strikes out a bit less :D :D

Written By: La Roche on 01/13/08 at 9:54 am

...well, as long as Ankiel strikes out a bit less :D :D

But dude, when he doesn't strike out, he launches the ball.

I was pretty depressed about the state of the team, but I dunno, it's looking good.. and if we can pull off the Bay trade it'll be obscene offensively. The pitching staff is going to be cobbled together, but it has huge upside. Wainwright is fast becoming a real ace, Clement and Mulder are supposed to be healthy, Piniero is a quality pitcher and we've got about 5 guys fighting for the number 5 spot.

Written By: loki 13 on 01/13/08 at 11:28 am

At least the Cardinals are doing somthing to better their team, the Phillies on the other hand, I have to say WTF.

The Phils made some moves to sure up the pitching but they still have glaring problems in the field. Wes Helms will
still be a hole at third, they let Aaron Rowan get away which leaves Pat Burrell, Jayson Werth and Shane Victorino
in the outfield. It ought to make an interesting year, I only hope no one hits the ball in the gaps.

Written By: La Roche on 01/13/08 at 7:08 pm

At least the Cardinals are doing somthing to better their team, the Phillies on the other hand, I have to say WTF.

The Phils made some moves to sure up the pitching but they still have glaring problems in the field. Wes Helms will
still be a hole at third, they let Aaron Rowan get away which leaves Pat Burrell, Jayson Werth and Shane Victorino
in the outfield. It ought to make an interesting year, I only hope no one hits the ball in the gaps.

Not only that, but we've shed even more payroll, almost $60,000,000 will come off at the end of the year, the 3 prospects we actually have will all come up and fill major league spots meaning the team can spend some of that surplus on a couple of excellent starting pitchers, resign Isringhausen and pick up a real shortstop/leadoff hitter.

Burrell is class, but Werth and Victorino. Bleak days ahead in Philadelphia. Oh well, as long as you can ruin the Mets chances of playoff hope I'll be happy.

Eeeww, Wes Helms! I'm really surprised the Phils didn't go after Mike Lamb outta Houston. He's a quality glove at short, he doesn't bring much to the table offensively but as I say, very good glove.

Written By: loki 13 on 01/13/08 at 7:55 pm

Not only that, but we've shed even more payroll, almost $60,000,000 will come off at the end of the year, the 3 prospects we actually have will all come up and fill major league spots meaning the team can spend some of that surplus on a couple of excellent starting pitchers, resign Isringhausen and pick up a real shortstop/leadoff hitter.

Burrell is class, but Werth and Victorino. Bleak days ahead in Philadelphia. Oh well, as long as you can ruin the Mets chances of playoff hope I'll be happy.

Eeeww, Wes Helms! I'm really surprised the Phils didn't go after Mike Lamb outta Houston. He's a quality glove at short, he doesn't bring much to the table offensively but as I say, very good glove.

I'm still a little optimistic but I can't see how the team will fair with a bunch of utility players playing on an every day basis.

Written By: nally on 01/13/08 at 9:58 pm

Well...in addition to Joe Torre becoming my team's skipper, longtime Atlanta Brave AndrUw Jones signed with the team last month (I think), so he will be reunited with former Atlanta teammate Rafael Furcal, who has been with L.A. for about three years now.

I haven't heard of LAD getting rid of anyone (yet), altho they probably will at some point before the offseason is over.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/16/08 at 5:21 pm

The Red Sox/Oakland season opener is going to be held IN JAPAN.  You can buy a travel package if you have half a mind(anyone with a whole mind wouldn't consider it)

Written By: nally on 01/16/08 at 9:44 pm

The Red Sox/Oakland season opener is going to be held IN JAPAN. You can buy a travel package if you have half a mind(anyone with a whole mind wouldn't consider it)

Oh yes, I heard about that. I wonder how well that game will be attended...

Written By: danootaandme on 01/17/08 at 6:10 am

They are very big on baseball in Japan, and Dice K will be pitching so they will probably fill the stadiums, but I would say they won't have the fans from the bleachers at Fenway(which maybe isn't such a bad thing)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/17/08 at 12:14 pm

More Selig!

:P

Written By: La Roche on 01/17/08 at 4:00 pm

More Selig!

Not if I get a conceal carry license.  ;D

Written By: loki 13 on 01/19/08 at 11:02 am

Looks like the Phillies are going to arbitration with Ryan Howard. The Phils offered 7 million but
Howard's agent countered by asking for 10 million.This is what I don't get about this organization,
just freakin' pay the man.

On a side note: the Phils avoided arbitration with Brad Lidge and Ryan Madson

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/19/08 at 11:04 am

So $7 million or $10 million or somewhere in between...that's, what, like $50K a strikeout?  :D :D :D

Hehehe, I keed I keed.

Written By: loki 13 on 01/19/08 at 11:28 am

So $7 million or $10 million or somewhere in between...that's, what, like $50K a strikeout?  :D :D :D

Hehehe, I keed I keed.

What's funny is; I was thinking the same thing.  ;D

Written By: La Roche on 01/19/08 at 11:54 am

Ankiel got $900K. That could prove to be a bargain.

What a bizarre arbitration case, I thought it was funny that the only player they could really compare him to was Babe Ruth. Pitcher turned hitter, successfully.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/23/08 at 1:47 pm

^ Tell him to stop striking out so much too :D

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/26/08 at 12:09 pm

I'm hoping the Indians get into the World Series...and win.

Because I'm not watching any of their games this year! >:(

Written By: loki 13 on 01/28/08 at 8:27 pm

This is a rumor I heard on the local sports talk radio, The Phillies will be announcing the signing
of Pedro Feliz. I hope this turns out to be true, I couldn't see going through the year with Wes
Helms at third. This signing would be a tremendous upgrade at that position, now if they could
just find a true center fielder.

Written By: La Roche on 01/28/08 at 8:36 pm

This is a rumor I heard on the local sports talk radio, The Phillies will be announcing the signing
of Pedro Feliz. I hope this turns out to be true, I couldn't see going through the year with Wes
Helms at third. This signing would be a tremendous upgrade at that position, now if they could
just find a true center fielder.

Oh, it's not a rumor, Feliz signed. His bat won't do a thing but his defense is good for 3 wins on a statistical basis.

Written By: loki 13 on 01/28/08 at 8:45 pm

Oh, it's not a rumor, Feliz signed. His bat won't do a thing but his defense is good for 3 wins on a statistical basis.

The reason they said it was a rumor was because they were going to await the outcome of a physical.
Another report said the Phillies have a full 40 man roster and couldn't announce the signing until they released
someone. That was the last I heard, if it's a done deal, great. I know Feliz suffers at the plate, especially
against right hand pitching but it is still better than Helms.

Written By: La Roche on 01/28/08 at 8:51 pm

The reason they said it was a rumor was because they were going to await the outcome of a physical.
Another report said the Phillies have a full 40 man roster and couldn't announce the signing until they released
someone. That was the last I heard, if it's a done deal, great. I know Feliz suffers at the plate, especially
against right hand pitching but it is still better than Helms.

Pretty much, defensive and offense combined, Feliz is league average, maybe even a little better when you consider his glove, Helms is just a mediocrity.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/29/08 at 4:28 pm

The Mets and Sox were in a tiff over Santana, Mets got him.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/29/08 at 4:34 pm

^ He has to bat!  :o

Written By: danootaandme on 01/29/08 at 4:45 pm

^ He has to bat!  :o

Pedro Martinez will give him some pointers  ;D

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/29/08 at 4:51 pm

Pedro Martinez will give him some pointers  ;D

Ah, he can show Johan how to slap Don Zimmer during interleague :)

Written By: nally on 02/18/08 at 11:45 am

Yesterday in the L.A. Times, I read an article about Torii Hunter, an outfielder who recently signed with the Angels (after spending several years with the Minnesota Twinkies).

Written By: nally on 03/15/08 at 2:24 pm

Well, the Dodgers are supposed to play a couple of exhibition games in China this weekend...that oughtta be good.

Written By: nally on 03/29/08 at 12:17 pm

Well, the Dodgers are supposed to play a couple of exhibition games in China this weekend...that oughtta be good.

It wasn't quite as good as I thought it would be, with the first game ending in a tie, and the second one being won by the Padres. I should've posted this 2 weeks ago, but no one has been responding to this thread lately.

Meanwhile, my team is scheduled to play at the L.A. Coliseum tonight against the World Champion Boston Red Sox, to commemorate their 50 year anniversary in Los Angeles. The teams played at Dodger Stadium last night, with L.A. winning 3-1. 8)

Written By: La Roche on 03/31/08 at 7:43 am

So, Baseball really starts today.

Quick predictions then.

AL Champions - Tigers or Yankees.
NL Champions - who knows... I don't think this will be the Mets year, I see Santana taking a while to get used to the NL game.
AL MVP - A - Rod or Miggy.
NL MVP - Holliday.
AL ROTY - Longoria!
NL ROTY - Maybe a guy like Soto could do it, Headly if he comes up early.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/31/08 at 10:30 am

Cubs might get rained out today :P

Written By: nally on 03/31/08 at 2:06 pm

So, Baseball really starts today.

Quick predictions then.

AL Champions - Tigers or Yankees.

Oh please not the Yankes. Although with new manager Joe Giriardi ya never know.

As for these...

NL Champions - who knows... I don't think this will be the Mets year, I see Santana taking a while to get used to the NL game.
AL MVP - A - Rod or Miggy.
NL MVP - Holliday.
AL ROTY - Longoria!
NL ROTY - Maybe a guy like Soto could do it, Headly if he comes up early.

it's all good.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/31/08 at 2:37 pm

Interesting...the Brewers are batting Ben Sheets 8th instead of 9th.  He struck out, of course :D

Written By: nally on 03/31/08 at 2:40 pm

Dodgers kick off the season in less than an hour at home against the San Francisco Jints. Best of all, Barroids will NOT be playing. I know that he's no longer a Giant, but no team has picked him up yet.

Written By: Jeff as guest on 03/31/08 at 10:33 pm

So LAD won today, 5-0. O0 8)

Written By: nally on 03/31/08 at 11:29 pm

Replying to myself:

So LAD won today, 5-0. O0 8)

This means Joe Torre is 1-0 as the Dodger manager. :)

Written By: La Roche on 03/31/08 at 11:49 pm

Rainout at Busch.

It's great, a friend of mine had tickets but can't go tomorrow because of work, so I'm going to opening day (redux) for free.

Written By: nally on 03/31/08 at 11:58 pm

I also heard that there was a rainout of the TOR/NYY game too...I'm guessing it'll be made up tomorrow as part of a doubleheader.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 04/01/08 at 8:31 am

Fukudome hit a 3-run homer to send the game to extra innings (Fuk yeah!) but then Howry blew it.  Darn.

Written By: La Roche on 04/01/08 at 10:23 am

Fukudome hit a 3-run homer to send the game to extra innings (Fuk yeah!) but then Howry blew it.  Darn.

Fukudome can go fuk himself.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 04/01/08 at 5:03 pm

For old times' sake:

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1119283/index.htm

Written By: nally on 04/02/08 at 10:25 am

LAD makes it two in a row...thanks to Rafeal Furcal scoring the winning run in the bottom of the 9th. 8)

Written By: nally on 04/03/08 at 2:30 pm

Well, after a 1 1/2 hour rain delay, the Dud-gers lose a game to the Jints, 2-1. ::)

Written By: nally on 04/08/08 at 11:11 pm

After taking two of three from the Pods in San Diego over the weekend, it looks like the Dud-gers are gonna lose two in a row to the Errorzona Dumbondbacks. ::)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 04/09/08 at 10:28 pm

Cubs win!  Cubs win!  HOLY COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!!

Written By: La Roche on 04/09/08 at 11:21 pm

Albert Jacks two.

Yankees continue to suck monster plenis.

Written By: nally on 04/10/08 at 11:33 am

Cubs win!  Cubs win!  HOLY COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!!

well that's good...I'd like to see 'em win some more. However, when they play my team (the DUD-gers, who just got swept in the state of Errorzona), I may have a difference of opinion.

Yankees continue to suck monster plenis.

Hehehee ;D

Written By: nally on 04/10/08 at 11:34 am

And I think the Tigers finally won a game yesterday....

Think they'll repeat their 2003 selves?

Written By: La Roche on 04/11/08 at 11:08 am

And I think the Tigers finally won a game yesterday....

Think they'll repeat their 2003 selves?

No, it's a toss up between the Yankees and Tigers as to who has the best team in the majors.

Written By: nally on 04/11/08 at 12:00 pm

No, it's a toss up between the Yankees and Tigers as to who has the best team in the majors.

uhm, what do you mean by that? ??? Both teams are off to not-so-good starts...but things could turn around during the season.

Written By: La Roche on 04/11/08 at 12:58 pm

uhm, what do you mean by that? ??? Both teams are off to not-so-good starts...but things could turn around during the season.

You're the math man, do the math.

PECOTA, dERA, VORP and other such similar formulas show us that the Tigers or Yankees have statistically the best teams in baseball. Obviously the players are human and therefore and susceptible to error but the fact remains that over a sample size as large as 162 games, the statistically superior teams should triumph.

Written By: nally on 04/11/08 at 2:26 pm

You're the math man, do the math.

PECOTA, dERA, VORP and other such similar formulas show us that the Tigers or Yankees have statistically the best teams in baseball. Obviously the players are human and therefore and susceptible to error but the fact remains that over a sample size as large as 162 games, the statistically superior teams should triumph.

Okay, that pretty much explains it. Thanks man.

Written By: nally on 04/13/08 at 1:54 pm

Dodgers finally won again last nite, 11-1! Derek Lowe gets his first win of the season. 8)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/14/08 at 11:11 am

We went to see the Pirates play on Saturday night (we bought a 10 ticket package deal)...they beat the Reds (4-3)...actually they swept the Reds. YAY! Go Bucs!!

Written By: nally on 04/14/08 at 1:13 pm

We went to see the Pirates play on Saturday night (we bought a 10 ticket package deal)...they beat the Reds (4-3)...actually they swept the Reds. YAY! Go Bucs!!

...and now you guys come to L.A. to see how you can do against my team, the DUD-gers (who dropped 2 of 3 to the Pods this weekend, including a 1-0 shutout yesterday, which secured the 349th win for Greg Maddux). As always, may the best team win!! :)

Written By: nally on 04/17/08 at 5:01 pm

Well, after blowing the first game in the 9th inning, with Takashi Saito giving up a game-winning home run to the Pirates... the L.A. Dud-gers manage to take two of three games from the Pittsburgh Pirates (sorry Erin).

Now we move on to Atlanta, where Andruw Jones will be playing as a visiting player for the first time ever! (Rafael Furcal did that 2 years ago, after he signed with LAD during the 2005/06 offseason.)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/17/08 at 8:49 pm

Well, after blowing the first game in the 9th inning, with Takashi Saito giving up a game-winning home run to the Pirates... the L.A. Dud-gers manage to take two of three games from the Pittsburgh Pirates (sorry Erin).

Yes..I was quite disappointed in them for losing those games. Meh...the season is still young..however, knowing their track record.... ::)

Written By: nally on 04/17/08 at 10:31 pm

Yes..I was quite disappointed in them for losing those games. Meh...the season is still young..however, knowing their track record.... ::)

Your Pirates won't see my L.A. Dodger team again until late in the season, namely in mid-September, when the season is in its last couple weeks. That's when they'll play in Pittsburgh. Until then, let's cheer on our teams and hope they do well!!

Written By: michele on 04/17/08 at 10:36 pm

GO WHITE SOXXXXXXXX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/17/08 at 10:41 pm

Your Pirates won't see my L.A. Dodger team again until late in the season, namely in mid-September, when the season is in its last couple weeks. That's when they'll play in Pittsburgh. Until then, let's cheer on our teams and hope they do well!!

Yes...we have tickets to two games in September (one being the season closer)....but they are both against the Astros. Yes...here's hoping that both teams do well this season! :)

Written By: nally on 04/18/08 at 11:50 pm

...And Andruw Jones doesn't do so well in his return to Turner Field in the Dud-gers' opening game in their series with the Braves. The other Jones (Chipper, who is obviously not related) steals the show, and Atlanta goes on to win, 6-1. >:(

Written By: Rice_Cube on 04/19/08 at 6:42 pm

Cubs 13, other team 1.

Whee!

Written By: michele on 04/19/08 at 7:35 pm

GO WHITE SOX! WHOO-HOO! 8)

Written By: nally on 04/20/08 at 1:57 pm

So Andruw Jones finally hit his first non-Braves homer yesterday. And who would've thought it would come at his old team's ballpark?

That wasn't enough for LAD, as they dropped another one to AJ's old team, 4-1. ::)

Written By: loki 13 on 04/20/08 at 2:54 pm

I figured this would happen. Ryan Howard gets 10 million from the arbitrator then he starts the season like this:

AB   R   H   2B   3B   HR   RBI   TB   BB   SO   SB   CS   OBP   SLG   AVG   
66   9   12  2     0     4     9      26   14   26    0     0    .321  .394  .182

Not bad for a 10 million dollar clean-up hitter is it?  :P

Written By: Rice_Cube on 04/20/08 at 3:12 pm

Hey, so far that averages out to about $2.5M per HR and less than $400K per K!  :D :D :D

Let's see how he does at the end of the year :D

Written By: nally on 04/21/08 at 10:24 am

DYHIW your favorite team gets swept? My L.A. Dud-gers just suffered that in Atlanta. 8-P

Written By: Rice_Cube on 04/22/08 at 1:03 pm

Cubs game against the Mets soon...today we find out if it's for real.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 04/27/08 at 10:24 pm

The Tampa Bay Rays are in first place in the AL East.

The Devil just threw a snowball at one of his demons...

Written By: nally on 04/28/08 at 12:54 pm

That's cuz they swept the Bo-Sox out of first...and the Baltimorioles faltered again.

Written By: nally on 05/01/08 at 1:01 pm

We had a few landslide games in MLB yesterday...

L.A. Dodgers crushed the Florida Marlins in Miami, 13-1 8)
Pittsburgh Pirates took care of the New York Mets at Shea Stadium, also 13-1 (WTG Erin; sorry Cat)
...and the Chicago Cubs made mincemeat of the Brew Crew in Wrigley Field, 19-5! :D (For the Cubbies, it was the first time they'd scored this many runs in a game in nearly 7 years; on 5/5/01 they gave my L.A. Dud-gers a bad time 20-1.)

Written By: nally on 05/04/08 at 2:07 pm

Dodgers make it 8 wins in a row by beating the Rockies 12-7, a day after beating them 11-6. So they've outscored the Rockies 23-13 in this series...with a chance for more today.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/06/08 at 11:29 pm

We went to the Pirates game tonight...they pretty much killed the Giants (12-6..although they ran with most of the game until like the 7th inning). I got to see 3 homers tonight though!! w00t!

Written By: nally on 05/07/08 at 10:49 am

We went to the Pirates game tonight...they pretty much killed the Giants (12-6..although they ran with most of the game until like the 7th inning). I got to see 3 homers tonight though!! w00t!

Yes, I heard about that game. WTG Pirates!! It's nice to see them playing better ball these days...considering they've finished with a dismal record the past several seasons.

Written By: La Roche on 05/07/08 at 3:57 pm

Yes, I heard about that game. WTG Pirates!! It's nice to see them playing better ball these days...considering they've finished with a dismal record the past several seasons.

Don't speak too soon Nally, they have a worse pitching staff than an all quadriplegic elementary school in a province of Uzbekistan that has never heard of baseball and forbids the use of prosthetic limbs.

Written By: nally on 05/07/08 at 6:15 pm

Excuse me, sATAN'S dAD, but I was speaking on behalf of the Pirates because they'd been doing dismal for the past several years, as I mentioned above...and anytime a team seems to be starting out well, I think that's a good sign. Even if my L.A. Dud-gers are one of those teams and don't necessarily do their best, lol.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/07/08 at 7:07 pm

Don't speak too soon Nally, they have a worse pitching staff than an all quadriplegic elementary school in a province of Uzbekistan that has never heard of baseball and forbids the use of prosthetic limbs.

Yeah, the Pirates are pretty poor.

So's the Cubs' right now.  9-0, dang.  Too bad they can't clone Zambrano and just start an army of Zambranos all the time.

Written By: La Roche on 05/07/08 at 7:54 pm

and anytime a team seems to be starting out well, I think that's a good sign.

Pittsburgh 13 - 19 .406

???

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/08/08 at 7:16 am

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/nationals_book_it_after_foul_ball

:D

Written By: nally on 05/08/08 at 11:15 am

Pittsburgh 13 - 19 .406

???

Well, their first few games, they were doing okay...but I guess they've sunk again. :-\\ Oh Well.

Written By: loki 13 on 05/08/08 at 8:06 pm

How is the Phillies 10 million dollar baby doing?

AB      R    H      HR    RBI    SO    OBP    SLG      AVG

127  17    21      6      17    51    .285    .331    .165

Ryan Howard's numbers are horrendous, at this point he is a detriment to the team. Something has gotten into his head
and he has to it clear and get it going.....fast!

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/08/08 at 9:43 pm

Wow, that IS around $20K a strikeout!  :o

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/08/08 at 9:50 pm

The Pirates swept the Giants.

Written By: nally on 05/09/08 at 11:06 am

The Pirates swept the Giants.

excellent!! 8) ;)

Written By: La Roche on 05/10/08 at 3:17 pm

How is the Phillies 10 million dollar baby doing?

AB      R    H      HR    RBI    SO    OBP    SLG      AVG

127  17    21      6      17    51    .285    .331    .165

Ryan Howard's numbers are horrendous, at this point he is a detriment to the team. Something has gotten into his head
and he has to it clear and get it going.....fast!

I've been an advocate of the Phillies shipping Howard since the winter break. The Phillies have the basis of what could be an excellent team, they just need a few nudges.

Pat Burrell is one of the best outfielders in the league, Chase Utley is one of the best second basemen ever and Jimmy Rollins is an outstanding shortstop. Shane Victorino will get going and he's perfectly good. I'm no Geoff Jenkins fan, but for the money he costs, he too is a perfectly good ballplayer. The Phillies weaknesses are a) behind the plate b) at third and c) on the mound. Behind the plate can be easily solved, Laird from the Rangers would be an excellent addition. But on the mound, behind Hamels, there isn't much. That's why I would strongly suggest trading Howard to the Rangers, eat some of the contract (it's not like there's no money in the team!) and try and gain Millwood, Padillia and Laird. Presumably one can assume the Rangers would be willing to throw in additional prospects to land a guy who *could* return to his monster power ways. Without Teixera, the Rangers have struggled to reproduce power and Howard would be great in the hitter friendly Arlington park. Blalock will never get traded that easily but it's not a reach to say that the Phillies could pry away Michael Young if they were willing to include draft picks. Young could be a great NL third baseman.

Written By: loki 13 on 05/10/08 at 5:04 pm

I've been an advocate of the Phillies shipping Howard since the winter break. The Phillies have the basis of what could be an excellent team, they just need a few nudges.

Pat Burrell is one of the best outfielders in the league, Chase Utley is one of the best second basemen ever and Jimmy Rollins is an outstanding shortstop. Shane Victorino will get going and he's perfectly good. I'm no Geoff Jenkins fan, but for the money he costs, he too is a perfectly good ballplayer. The Phillies weaknesses are a) behind the plate b) at third and c) on the mound. Behind the plate can be easily solved, Laird from the Rangers would be an excellent addition. But on the mound, behind Hamels, there isn't much. That's why I would strongly suggest trading Howard to the Rangers, eat some of the contract (it's not like there's no money in the team!) and try and gain Millwood, Padillia and Laird. Presumably one can assume the Rangers would be willing to throw in additional prospects to land a guy who *could* return to his monster power ways. Without Teixera, the Rangers have struggled to reproduce power and Howard would be great in the hitter friendly Arlington park. Blalock will never get traded that easily but it's not a reach to say that the Phillies could pry away Michael Young if they were willing to include draft picks. Young could be a great NL third baseman.

I believe the Phillies GM, Pat Gillick, is leaving after this year, any chance of you applying for the job?

Ruiz and Coste are doing ok behind the plate and Feliz is a step up from last year but your right. I don't know if the
current battery can last the whole year. Myers and Kendrick are off to a fairly slow start and the rest of the staff is
iffy at best. I would hope they would do more with middle relief also because what they have now is scary.

Written By: La Roche on 05/10/08 at 9:52 pm

I believe the Phillies GM, Pat Gillick, is leaving after this year, any chance of you applying for the job?

Ruiz and Coste are doing ok behind the plate and Feliz is a step up from last year but your right. I don't know if the
current battery can last the whole year. Myers and Kendrick are off to a fairly slow start and the rest of the staff is
iffy at best. I would hope they would do more with middle relief also because what they have now is scary.

Pitching is their big issue. I could see Colon ending up with the Phillies.

Written By: nally on 05/12/08 at 4:37 pm

Jonathan Broxton did a bad bad thing yesterday...he blew a 3-1 lead in the 8th inning of yesterday's Astros-Dudgers game and allowed the Stros to win 7-3 and sweep the DUD-gers at home. 8-P

Written By: Hiroki Kuroda on 05/12/08 at 5:00 pm

Jonathan Broxton did a bad bad thing yesterday...he blew a 3-1 lead in the 8th inning of yesterday's Astros-Dudgers game and allowed the Stros to win 7-3 and sweep the DUD-gers at home. 8-P

I know and, i should have won that game. Am long over due for another win.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/12/08 at 10:48 pm

No such thing as an almost-no-hitter :D

Cubs win!  Cubs win!

Written By: nally on 05/13/08 at 10:26 am

Angels came from behind to beat the White Sox yesterday. They play LAD next weekend.

Written By: Eskimo in Hell on 05/13/08 at 11:26 pm

American League
East W L Pct GB Home Road East Cent West Streak L10
Tampa Bay Rays 23 16 .590 -- 15-7 8-9 17-11 2-3 4-2 Won 6 7-3  <-- First place
Boston Red Sox 24 18 .571 0.5 14-5 10-13 8-10 8-5 8-3 Lost 3 5-5
Baltimore Orioles 20 19 .513 3.0 11-6 9-13 7-7 5-4 8-8 Won 1 4-6
New York Yankees 19 21 .475 4.5 9-9 10-12 9-10 7-11 3-0 Lost 2 5-5
Toronto Blue Jays 19 22 .463 5.0 10-9 9-13 7-10 9-7 3-5 Won 2 5-5

Hell has frozen over!

Written By: La Roche on 05/14/08 at 8:14 am

American League
East W L Pct GB Home Road East Cent West Streak L10
Tampa Bay Rays 23 16 .590 -- 15-7 8-9 17-11 2-3 4-2 Won 6 7-3  <-- First place
Boston Red Sox 24 18 .571 0.5 14-5 10-13 8-10 8-5 8-3 Lost 3 5-5
Baltimore Orioles 20 19 .513 3.0 11-6 9-13 7-7 5-4 8-8 Won 1 4-6
New York Yankees 19 21 .475 4.5 9-9 10-12 9-10 7-11 3-0 Lost 2 5-5
Toronto Blue Jays 19 22 .463 5.0 10-9 9-13 7-10 9-7 3-5 Won 2 5-5

Hell has frozen over!

Yeah, I'm stunned.

I ended up getting tickets for the game against the Devil Rays on Saturday simply because I want to see how it's possible.

Written By: nally on 05/14/08 at 3:41 pm

...and the Yuckees have a losing record!!! :D :D :D What's more, they're the ones who are currently half a game out of last place. >:D

Written By: nally on 05/15/08 at 10:37 am

Dodgers won! :D
Angels lost :(
Cubbies won! :D
Knaves won :-\\
Yuckees won, too :-\\

Written By: nally on 05/15/08 at 3:55 pm

Dodgers already won again today. Chad Billingsley improves to 3-5, altho that's still a losing record, lol. AndrUw Jones finally hit another homer, if I read the recap correctly.

Written By: Brian06 on 05/15/08 at 9:48 pm

The Indians won again today, looks like they're finally getting on track.

Written By: La Roche on 05/15/08 at 10:39 pm

Apparently Jason Isringhausen has decided that he'd prefer to live in Memphis or Springfield.

Written By: nally on 05/16/08 at 12:46 am

The Indians won again today, looks like they're finally getting on track.

That's good... I heard they swept the Oakland A's?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/16/08 at 5:32 pm

Cubs >>>>>>> Pirates.

Of course, if the Cubs do lose to the Pirates this weekend, that would be pretty sad :P

Written By: La Roche on 05/17/08 at 7:05 pm

Cubs >>>>>>> Pirates.

Of course, if the Cubs do lose to the Pirates this weekend, that would be pretty sad :P

They lost.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/17/08 at 7:09 pm

Yeah, that was pretty sad.

Hope the NL does well today, a lot of the NL teams are down big right now.  White Sox at San Fran tonight, maybe the Giants will decide not to suck for once.

And monkeys will fly out of Barry Zito's butt.

Written By: nally on 05/17/08 at 11:00 pm

They lost.

Well, today they did. :-\\

Yeah, that was pretty sad.

Hope the NL does well today, a lot of the NL teams are down big right now.  White Sox at San Fran tonight, maybe the Giants will decide not to suck for once.

And monkeys will fly out of Barry Zito's butt.

I wouldn't be so certain... on last check (which was about an hour ago), Sox were ahead. So it looks like Barry Zero still ain't gonna win.

Written By: nally on 05/17/08 at 11:02 pm

...but in today's game of the Freeway Series (as it is known when the Dodgers play the Angels), Ervin Santana finally lost a game today, as the Dodgers finally won at Angel Stadium for the first time since '06.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/18/08 at 2:59 pm

Those Tampa Bay Rays seem to be for real.  What happened?

Written By: La Roche on 05/18/08 at 7:16 pm

Those Tampa Bay Rays seem to be for real.  What happened?

They found a formula that works.

But they lost the series 2-1.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/18/08 at 10:57 pm

Cubs win!  Go NL!

Written By: nally on 05/19/08 at 11:58 am

and so the White Sox complete a sweep in San Fran. Who'da thunk it?

Well, actually, the Jints have been playing not-so-well lately, and they're sinking towards the bottom of N.L. West.

And the Mets take both games in a shortened Subway Series in the Bronx. So now the Yuckees are still in last place! >:D

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/19/08 at 8:53 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap?gid=280519102

No-hitter!  Wow!

Oh wait, it was against KC.  Figures.

Written By: nally on 05/22/08 at 11:00 am

Well, Brandon Webb is no longer unbeaten...

And Hiroki Kuroda finally wins his second game.

Written By: Bobo on 05/25/08 at 10:29 pm

Padres let today's game against the Reds go to 18 innings. Finishing 7-7 after nine, they were re-squared at nine after eleven. It wasn't until inning eighteen that Adrian Gonzalez homered to centre-field, bringing in himself, former D-Back Scott Hairston and former Tribesman Brian Giles to finish the game 12-9.

Written By: nally on 05/26/08 at 1:07 pm

Padres let today's game against the Reds go to 18 innings. Finishing 7-7 after nine, they were re-squared at nine after eleven. It wasn't until inning eighteen that Adrian Gonzalez homered to centre-field, bringing in himself, former D-Back Scott Hairston and former Tribesman Brian Giles to finish the game 12-9.

The Padres had played another super-long game (in terms of innings) in April, going 22 innings against the Rockies. The teams had also played a 13-inning playoff last October 1st to determine the wildcard winner!

Written By: nally on 05/27/08 at 3:23 pm

So the Angels played scoreless ball for 12 innings...until the Angels loaded up the bases and walked in the winning run! :D (That is, the only run of the game...Maicer Izturis.)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/28/08 at 11:35 pm

Cubs = win.

Written By: nally on 05/29/08 at 2:07 pm

Cubs = win.

That's right; they just completed a sweep of my L.A. DUD-gers...with mucho emphasis on "dud". I was watching the game last nite, and they wasted some good scoring opportunities that could have given them > 1 run (i.e., some "insurance runs") and saved Takshi Saito from blowing another save opportunity and sending the game into extra innings.

I think LAD's final record is gonna be 26 and 136.

OTOH, I am glad to see the Cubs winning more; I'd like to see them go all the way.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/30/08 at 4:18 pm

Cubs win!  OMG!

Written By: nally on 05/30/08 at 5:30 pm

Wait, did they already win again today? Cuz I know they were supposed to play a day game today...unless i'm mistaken for another team :-\\

Written By: Big Nasty on 05/30/08 at 6:05 pm

I realize that I really do not belong on a baseball post...I am a Nationals fan..nuff said! 

Am I seeing right the Yankees have spent all that money to buy last place at this point in the season!
Are the Rays really first place? What is going on in the majors?
Of course my beloved Nationals are in their normal position...even our rival Orioles are at least one position up from their normal spot, Thank You Yankees!

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/31/08 at 5:59 pm

Cubs win!

Written By: Bobo on 05/31/08 at 10:52 pm

Unbelievably I'm going to stay awake until someone wins the final game of the night at the Angels.

Written By: MrCleveland on 06/01/08 at 7:51 am

Cubs win!

Royals win...to the Indians.

The Cleveland Indians should call themselves the Cleveland Steamers. (I know, I'm beating the dead hrose again.)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/01/08 at 4:20 pm

Cubs win!  WOOSA!

Written By: nally on 06/01/08 at 10:53 pm

Unbelievably I'm going to stay awake until someone wins the final game of the night at the Angels.

Last nite: The Angels won it in extra innings, thanks to a bloop single by pinch hitter Juan Rivera with the bases loaded.

They beat the Jays again today.

Written By: MrCleveland on 06/02/08 at 12:00 pm

Fact-The Indians have the worst batting average since 1968.

Opinion-The 2008 Indians are the worst sports team the Indians ever had.

Written By: nally on 06/02/08 at 12:11 pm

Cubs win!  WOOSA!

and they currently have the best record in the majors...something they hadn't achieved in a whole century! (I found that out in the sports section of the newspaper this morning.) Who'da thunk it? :D

Written By: nally on 06/08/08 at 1:37 pm

So, the L.A. Dud-gers actually won two in a row (including a complete-game shutout performed by Hiroki Kuroda on Friday)... I thought they were never gonna win again!

Written By: loki 13 on 06/09/08 at 6:55 pm

I have to be fair. I panned Howard when he was in a funk, now he seem to have gotten his act together I
have to give he credit. I just hope he keeps it up.

His stats as have improved since May 8, since the weather has been warmer.

Through          May 8th
              May 7th        to yesderday

H - AB.....20-123          31-115

Avg........ .163              .270

Boubles....  3                  8

HR..........  6                  9

Tot. Bases.41                68

Slug. Pct.  .333            .591

SO.........  50                37

SO Pct.    .407            .322

Runs.........17                25

RBI...........16                33

Howard still has too many strikeouts but better numbers none the less.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/09/08 at 7:05 pm

Ken Griffey Jr. = 600 HRs now.

Written By: nally on 06/10/08 at 1:23 am

YAY!!! :D

I wonder who'll be next.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/11/08 at 9:43 pm

Cubs win, but Soriano got his left hand broken by a HBP. 

Blessing in disguise, methinks...he's not a particularly good defensive player and he strikes out way too much.  Theriot would be much better off in the lead-off spot since he makes better contact with the ball and runs better.

Written By: Bobo on 06/11/08 at 10:03 pm

Idiots on Channel 5 missed out the whole of the first inning of whatever game was on here, I think it was the Braves...

But if that happens, I just give up. Mets are still going in the bottom of the thirteenth!

Written By: La Roche on 06/11/08 at 10:57 pm

Good.

Don't usually like any player injured, but he's a c**t true and true.. of course, they are the Chicago C**ts!

Written By: nally on 06/12/08 at 1:41 pm

Idiots on Channel 5 missed out the whole of the first inning of whatever game was on here, I think it was the Braves...

Those fellers lost to the Cubbies again.

Blessing in disguise, methinks...he's not a particularly good defensive player and he strikes out way too much.  Theriot would be much better off in the lead-off spot since he makes better contact with the ball and runs better.

As for their lineup sans Soriano....we'll see how they can make do. Theriot might be good

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/12/08 at 5:16 pm

Cubs win!  Another HBP, this time with the bases juiced.  What a way to earn a victory :P

Written By: nally on 06/13/08 at 1:53 pm

Cubs win!  Another HBP, this time with the bases juiced.  What a way to earn a victory :P

so they swept the Knaves! Allright!!! :D ;D

Now the Knaves Braves head to Anaheim to visit the Angels for the first time ever... and my L.A. DUDgers (who laid a big fat goose egg in San Diego yesterday) return to Detroit for the first time in five years.

Written By: nally on 06/14/08 at 12:57 am

So the L.A. DUD-gers laid another goose egg, in Detroit, where L.A. starting pitcher Derek Lowe was a native of.

And the Knaves trounce the Halos in their first-ever meeting in Anaheim.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/15/08 at 7:10 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AnFIqLYQI7ON4gSZw7y9jRYRvLYF?slug=ap-cardinals-molinainjured&prov=ap&type=lgns

Yadier Molina got all kinds of messed up but made the play to get the runner...we don't like seeing these kinds of injuries, very scary :(

Cubs won again.  They could've swept the series but oh well :P

Written By: La Roche on 06/15/08 at 10:49 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AnFIqLYQI7ON4gSZw7y9jRYRvLYF?slug=ap-cardinals-molinainjured&prov=ap&type=lgns

Yadier Molina got all kinds of messed up but made the play to get the runner...we don't like seeing these kinds of injuries, very scary :(

Cubs won again.  They could've swept the series but oh well :P

He's alright. I was pretty scared, I thought he'd broke his neck.

I don't blame the runner at all, it was obvious he tucked his elbow and tried to avoid hitting Yaddy's head. Perfectly legal to charge the catcher, just a bad accident.

But he's ok, mild concussion, that's it. Chase Utley gave us the win too!

Written By: nally on 06/16/08 at 12:11 pm

Let's see... 5 years ago, the L.A. Dud-gers played in Detroit for the first time, and they won all three games over there. This year, they played three against the Tigers in Detroit, and lost 'em all. ::)

Meanwhile, in Anaheim, the Angels avoided a sweep by the Atlanta Knaves by shutting them out 2-zip last night on ESPN.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/17/08 at 12:09 am

The NL is gunning for an interleague sweep tonight...granted only four games on today, but still pretty good, if the Mets hang on.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/17/08 at 12:44 am

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3446851

Steinbrenner = WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Pitchers are still baseball players.  Just because you have an off-day from pitching doesn't mean you just sit on your ass doing nothing.  Do some sprints, jog, whatever.  What a bunch of crybabies.

Written By: La Roche on 06/17/08 at 1:24 pm

Pitchers are still baseball players.  Just because you have an off-day from pitching doesn't mean you just sit on your ass doing nothing.  Do some sprints, jog, whatever.  What a bunch of crybabies.

I especially love how it's a rule from 1800... before.. ya know, baseball.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/17/08 at 3:05 pm

I think the main problem is that pitchers just sit around in the bullpen and they don't really keep loose or anything unless they have to pitch.  If they actually tried to keep fit, they wouldn't have this trouble.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/18/08 at 11:27 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3450245&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab2pos1

Well...this is something different.

Written By: nally on 06/18/08 at 11:31 pm

I think the main problem is that pitchers just sit around in the bullpen and they don't really keep loose or anything unless they have to pitch.  If they actually tried to keep fit, they wouldn't have this trouble.

Don't the AL pitchers take batting practice prior to playing in NL stadiums so that they don't have problems swinging the bat when it's their turn?

Written By: nally on 06/19/08 at 6:38 pm

So, the Dud-gers complete a three-game sweep in Cincinnati. And here I thought they'd forgotten how to win.

Let's see how they do tomorrow against the Cleveland Indians, who will be playing in Dodger Stadium for the first time ever.

Written By: Bobo on 06/20/08 at 10:50 pm

Nationals take advantage of the fourteenth-inning stretch and load the bases in the sixth at-bat, as former Devil Ray Elijah Dukes hits the winning run from a Jamie Wright pitch.

Written By: nally on 06/21/08 at 12:02 am

Seems like my L.A. DUD-gers forgot how to score runs. Just 20 minutes ago they were laying a goose egg in the 6th or 7th inning against the Cleveland Idiots Indians. Rookie pitcher Clayton Kershaw is gonna have to wait until at least next week for his first career win.

Written By: Bobo on 06/21/08 at 4:20 am

Dodgers did of course pull it back with two in the eighth and two in the ninth to send it to an extra inning — but Cleveland scored two runs in the tenth to close the game out — while Blue Jays/Pirates took twelve innings to even get a run on the board!

Written By: La Roche on 06/21/08 at 11:03 am

Nationals take advantage of the fourteenth-inning stretch and load the bases in the sixth at-bat, as former Devil Ray Elijah Dukes hits the winning run from a Jamie Wright pitch.

I'm surprised Dukes isn't in jail again.

Written By: nally on 06/22/08 at 1:29 pm

Dodgers did of course pull it back with two in the eighth and two in the ninth to send it to an extra inning — but Cleveland scored two runs in the tenth to close the game out — while Blue Jays/Pirates took twelve innings to even get a run on the board!

And they went into extra innings again yesterday...only to blow another one. Seems like my team's bullpen is deteriorating (for lack of a better word). :( I sure hope they win today...they deserve it. I don't want to see them clinch another losing record against the AL. (To avoid doing that, they gon' have to win today AND sweep the White Sox and Angels...and that's gon' be hard to do.)

Written By: Bobo on 06/22/08 at 10:11 pm

Chicago Cubs hit their fourteenth consecutive win at Wrigley Field, their longest home winning streak in 70 years, bringing their home record to 32-8.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/22/08 at 11:47 pm

Cubs > White Sox.

Written By: Bobo on 06/23/08 at 7:22 am

Having come an inning away from shutting out the Mariners, the Braves head to the Brewers with an opportunity to salvage a .500 winning percentage. G'wan the Braves!

My Pads, meanwhile... •mumble mumble•

Written By: Bobo on 06/23/08 at 7:38 am

In slightly unrelated news, the oldest living Major League player has just passed his 100th birthday. Hurray for Bill Werber, who remains the only man still living to have played Major League Baseball with Babe Ruth.

Written By: nally on 06/23/08 at 11:29 am

And they went into extra innings again yesterday...only to blow another one. Seems like my team's bullpen is deteriorating (for lack of a better word). :( I sure hope they win today...they deserve it. I don't want to see them clinch another losing record against the AL. (To avoid doing that, they gon' have to win today AND sweep the White Sox and Angels...and that's gon' be hard to do.)

LAD took an early 4-0 lead, and then Cleveland came back with three in the 3rd...and it stayed that way. O0

Written By: danootaandme on 06/23/08 at 6:26 pm

Curt Schilling is all done.  He has had an operation on his shoulder that ends his season, and word is that his career is over.  I can only hope he packs his bag and takes his arrogant self, and whole arrogant family back where they came from. 

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/24/08 at 10:14 pm

The Pirates beat the Yanks tonight. w00t! :D

Written By: nally on 06/24/08 at 10:15 pm

So the White Sox come into Dodger Stadium having been swept by the Cubbies. Tonight, they got a run in the 1st, a run in the 2nd, and led 2-0 going to the bottom of the 2nd. And that's how it stays right now in the 5th inning.

Written By: nally on 06/24/08 at 10:16 pm

The Pirates beat the Yanks tonight. w00t! :D

Awesome!! :D 8)

I guess this is a rematch of the 1960 World Series...where the Pirates beat the Yanks in a deciding game 7.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/24/08 at 10:23 pm

Awesome!! :D 8)

I guess this is a rematch of the 1960 World Series...where the Pirates beat the Yanks in a deciding game 7.

Ya, I'm pretty excited about it. :)

Written By: nally on 06/24/08 at 10:50 pm

...yep, it's good to see your team win. I wish mine could do so right now... the Dodgers have not had much success against the White Sox since beating them in the 1959 World Series; on last check they were losing 2-zip. :-\\

Written By: nally on 06/25/08 at 11:29 am

...yep, it's good to see your team win. I wish mine could do so right now... the Dodgers have not had much success against the White Sox since beating them in the 1959 World Series; on last check they were losing 2-zip. :-\\

...stupid dodgers, they got beat 6-1. >:( And the game only lasted just a little over two hours.

Written By: Bobo on 06/25/08 at 10:03 pm

Every Wednesday night/Thursday morning on this station so far this season, they have been mentioning "Unbeatable baseball records", records which although statistically beatable are so hard to do. Today's was "shortest career", which basically consisted of one game and no at-bats, but they also mentioned Eddie Gaedel, who played one game for the St. Louis Browns.

The 3'7" batter represented the St. Louis Browns in the 1951 season. A heartwarming story - sadly however, Gaedel died at the age of just 36 in 1961.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/25/08 at 10:31 pm

^ I also don't think Chipper Jones is going to finish at .400, since his batting average has dropped quite a bit since he came back from injury...

Written By: Bobo on 06/25/08 at 10:45 pm

Rays crush the Marlins 15-3, with an incredible ten-run fifth inning. This really should not be happening...

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/25/08 at 11:00 pm

Indeed, the two teams in Florida have some of the worst attendance figures in baseball, they don't deserve good teams :P

Written By: nally on 06/26/08 at 3:09 pm

So last nite my team actually won against the White Sox. What's more, Eric Stults (who is only 7 months older than me, for the record) pitched a complete game shutout...the second one this month for the team. Dodgers 5, White Sox goose egg.

They're supposed to play a day game at the Stadium today...and it might be underway right now.

Written By: Bobo on 06/26/08 at 3:29 pm

Sox v. Dudgers is in the bottom of the fourth, Sox are currently 2-0 up.

Written By: nally on 06/26/08 at 3:32 pm

oh no :-\\

But it's only the 4th inning...things could turn around, or maybe not.

Who is pitching for L.A. today, is it Clayton Kershaw?

Written By: Bobo on 06/26/08 at 3:34 pm

Kershaw indeed.

Written By: nally on 06/26/08 at 3:36 pm

Thought so.

In his first outing, which I believe was a month ago, he pitched quite well (I think it was against the Cardinals)...and he was in line to win, but then the Cards tied it up and sent the game to extra innings.

I hope he gets his first win soon.

Written By: Bobo on 06/26/08 at 3:40 pm

Yep, debuted against the Cards on May 25, 6 innings pitched, in a 4-3 defeat in ten.

Written By: nally on 06/26/08 at 3:41 pm

Yep, debuted against the Cards on May 25, 6 innings pitched, in a 4-3 defeat in ten.

I think the Dodgers won that one, to avoid a sweep.

But like I said, he could've won that game, since he left with a lead...but then the Cardsies tied it up.

Written By: Bobo on 06/26/08 at 3:43 pm

Yes, sorry, it was a 4-3 defeat for the Cards, the Dodgers won that one.

Written By: nally on 06/26/08 at 10:43 pm

and they hung on with that score. Which means my team got a taste of their own medicine. ::)

Written By: Bobo on 06/27/08 at 7:21 pm

Mets overcame the Yankees with a 15-6 scoreline *dances quietly*, no games currently running are any further than the fifth inning.

Written By: nally on 06/29/08 at 3:00 pm

An unusual thing happened at Dodger Stadium yesterday... the Dodgers won without ever getting a hit.

Written By: Bobo on 07/02/08 at 10:28 pm

Today's "unbeatable record", the Thursday morning feature on Channel Five's MLB coverage, was Connie Mack's "games managed" total. Mack managed the Pittsburgh Pirates from 1894 to 1896 and from 1901 to 1950. I can't recall whether these were the same stats that the guys came up with, but according to my calculations, the so called "Grand Old Man of Baseball" managed 7755 games in his coaching career.

Written By: Bobo on 07/02/08 at 10:40 pm

We're currently in the bottom of the seventh on the as-live coverage on Channel 5, with a bases-loaded situation for the Tampa Bay Rays at 4-3 behind... and I go and look at the final score. Now I'm wondering how the heck they got there in the first place. Let's see!

Written By: Bobo on 07/02/08 at 11:27 pm

Strike three and Tampa Bay have swept the Red Sox, winning 6-7.

Written By: La Roche on 07/02/08 at 11:28 pm

Nice walk off home run from Troy Glaus.

Pondscum go home losing the series.

If only the Giants didn't choke on dick they could beat the Cubs.

Written By: Big Nasty on 07/05/08 at 1:18 pm

So, I recently attended a Washington Nationals home game vs. The Angels.  The Angels won.  The new Nationals Stadium is pretty nice, although I still like Minutemaid Park better.  The biggest issue is that there is absolutely no parking there.  I had to park at the Old RFK Stadium and catch a free shuttle bus to the ball park.  I was surprised by how nice it is since it is built in a pretty sheeshty area.

Written By: loki 13 on 07/05/08 at 8:45 pm

You know what, I've seen enough of Tom Gordon. Every time that guy comes into a game
the other team scores runs, he cost the Phillies another lead. Why does Goober Manuel continue
to use this clown?

Written By: nally on 07/05/08 at 10:48 pm

So, I recently attended a Washington Nationals home game vs. The Angels.  The Angels won.  The new Nationals Stadium is pretty nice, although I still like Minutemaid Park better.  The biggest issue is that there is absolutely no parking there.  I had to park at the Old RFK Stadium and catch a free shuttle bus to the ball park.  I was surprised by how nice it is since it is built in a pretty crappy area.

Glad you got to see the new stadium. I myself have never been to that part of the US, but might like to someday. :) Heck, I might wanna see a game at a ballpark other than Dodger Stadium at some point...if I can afford to, lol. I have traveled past Angel Stadium, Chicago's Wrigley Field (home of the Cubs), and the Metrodome in Minnesota (home of the Twins).

Written By: Bobo on 07/06/08 at 10:36 pm

Yankees close it out in the tenth, winning 5-4, having trailed 4-2 at the stretch.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/07/08 at 9:10 am

Yankees close it out in the tenth in the Subway Series, winning 5-4, having trailed 4-2 at the stretch.

Just a rivalry, no Subway series ;)

Written By: Bobo on 07/07/08 at 1:08 pm

You're right, sorry, I was thinking of my stomach at the time...

Written By: nally on 07/07/08 at 1:13 pm

yes, they battled it out with the Red Sox. Subway Series was last weekend. :)

So now my L.A. Dud-gers (who went 5-2 on their just-completed roadtrip) will come home to play the Atlanta Knaves for four and the Florida Marlins for three.

Written By: Bobo on 07/07/08 at 10:24 pm

I was looking at the wrong page, thank you very much for confirmation, Jeff.

Tonight's results include a 7-4 loss for the Rays at the hands of the Royals, bringing the former's seven-game winning streak to a sad close, and a high-scoring 10-9 win for the Mets against the Phillies. Three games still in progress as I write this, all relatively close affairs, all at the bottom of the fifth or beyond.

Written By: nally on 07/07/08 at 10:42 pm

no prob, Matt. ;)

I know that the Angels nearly blew an early 8-run lead against the Rangers at the Ballpark in Arlington. On last check it was 9-7 Halos in the 7th; I dunno how that game turned out. :-\\
And I wonder how my L.A. Dud-gers are doing right now against the Knaves...anyone?

Written By: nally on 07/08/08 at 1:51 pm

no prob, Matt. ;)

I know that the Angels nearly blew an early 8-run lead against the Rangers at the Ballpark in Arlington. On last check it was 9-7 Halos in the 7th; I dunno how that game turned out. :-\\
And I wonder how my L.A. Dud-gers are doing right now against the Knaves...anyone?

Well, the Angels held on to win 9-6... and the DODGERS blanked the Braves 3-0. It was almost a perfect game for Hiroki Kuroda...it would have been if only Mark Teixeira hadn't gotten that leadoff double in the 8th inning. Still, Kuroda should be happy that he achieved his second CG shutout of the year. O0 8)

Written By: Bobo on 07/09/08 at 9:21 pm

Today's unbeatable record, part of the regular Thursday feature, is Ty Cobb's .366 average.

Pujols' .3324 and Ichiro Suzuki's .3311 are the highest of any currently active players.

Written By: La Roche on 07/09/08 at 11:10 pm

I get the feeling Mark Mulder's career could be over. He got through one third of an inning today before he had to be pulled, he was clinging to his left shoulder (the one twice surgically repaired in the past couple of years) and has categorically stated he would rather retire than have a third shoulder surgery in 2 years.

Written By: nally on 07/09/08 at 11:35 pm

I sure hope the Knaves aren't beating up on the Dud-gers again, like they did last nite. ::)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/10/08 at 12:06 am

I get the feeling Mark Mulder's career could be over. He got through one third of an inning today before he had to be pulled, he was clinging to his left shoulder (the one twice surgically repaired in the past couple of years) and has categorically stated he would rather retire than have a third shoulder surgery in 2 years.

I saw that...very sad, he was a very good pitcher when he was healthy, and not a shabby hitter either.

I sure hope the Knaves aren't beating up on the Dud-gers again, like they did last nite. ::)

Being that you are in the local team's media outlet and that you obviously have the Internet at your disposal, why don't you:

1) turn on the TV

or

2) go to mlb.com and check for yourself?

Cubs win.

Written By: nally on 07/10/08 at 2:36 pm

Being that you are in the local team's media outlet and that you obviously have the Internet at your disposal, why don't you:

1) turn on the TV

or

2) go to mlb.com and check for yourself?

At the time you posted this, I was off the computer and I already did option number 1...to find out that my team had won. 8) Once again, the Dodgers starter had a perfect game going for a while until the Braves spoiled the fun later in the game. And the starter once again got the win! (This time, Derek Lowe.)

And for the record, I do frequent mlb.com and other sports sites (espn.com, aol.com/sports). :)

Cubs win.

Woo hoo! ;D

Written By: MrCleveland on 07/10/08 at 2:53 pm

The Cleveland Indians look like Charlie Brown's baseball team.

They will be in 30th place and Eric Wedge will lose his job.

Written By: nally on 07/10/08 at 2:59 pm

well...currently the Nats are in "30th place"...but if Cleveland doesn't play very well, they just might end up with the worst MLB record. ::)

Written By: La Roche on 07/10/08 at 3:42 pm

I saw that...very sad, he was a very good pitcher when he was healthy, and not a shabby hitter either.

Well, maybe I spoke too soon. He's only on the 15 day DL, but the fact of the matter is this, Mark Mulder hasn't been off the DL for more than a couple of weeks over the last 3 years. It's his 5th DL trip in 4 years (obviously 3 of those being 60 Day DL - Indefinite Disabled Status). In 2005 he threw 205 innings with a 3.64 ERA. In the 3 years following that he's thrown a total of 106 innings with an ERA lingering around 8.00.

By the way, this is what I expect from Harden. He's nasty when he's healthy (although his BB/9 and HR to Fly % will come back to haunt him in Wrigley) and even though he's going from a major pitchers park to a hitters park I imagine he'll post something around a 3.50 ERA when he's healthy, problem being, in 6 seasons Harden has only pitched 540 innings. That equates to 90 innings per year (there are a few relievers who actually top this mark.) but of course that's misleading. In 2004 he pitched 190 innings and posted an ERA of 4.00, which is a perfectly decent season. Of course, take those 190 out and over the other 5 years he's averaged 70 innings per season, that's pretty poor. In the past 3 seasons he's managed a combined 148 innings, or 49 and a third per year. That's middle relief territory. Here's the biggest issue with Harden, he's been to the DL, on no less than 4 occasions (and I mean shut down DL, not 15 day, give him a rest) and he's only 26. I can't see things getting any better as his arm takes even more beatings.

The Brewers got the real deal, but the problem is, they'll only be able to sign either one of Sabbathia or Sheets, that is, if they can sign CC, I wouldn't be stunned to see him end up playing for a big market team next season.

Written By: La Roche on 07/10/08 at 3:45 pm

The Cleveland Indians look like Charlie Brown's baseball team.

They will be in 30th place and Eric Wedge will lose his job.

We'd be happy to take Jhonny Peralta and Cliff Lee off your hands.

Written By: Brian06 on 07/10/08 at 6:32 pm

The Tribe is pretty much comedy now they're so bad. They're going for 11 in a row tonight!

Written By: nally on 07/11/08 at 1:21 am

The Tribe is pretty much comedy now they're so bad. They're going for 11 in a row tonight!

Well...looks like they ended it tonight, triumphing over the Rays 13-2. ;)

Written By: Brian06 on 07/11/08 at 6:49 pm

Well...looks like they ended it tonight, triumphing over the Rays 13-2. ;)

Finally! lol

Written By: nally on 07/12/08 at 1:08 am

Finally! lol

and I think they might've won again tonight.

Written By: La Roche on 07/12/08 at 10:31 am

Rick Ankiel jacked his 20th last night. He's on course for a final line of about .280, 35, 110.

Pretty amazing from a converted pitcher only having hit for a couple of years, oh, and he's in the top 3 center fielders in the national league in almost all defensive categories... and he throws guys out from the warning track.

Written By: nally on 07/12/08 at 12:32 pm

So far in this years Dodgers-Marlins season series, the visiting team has won every game. Back at the end of April, LAD took all three in Florida, and now the fish have taken the first two at "Chavez Ravine".

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/12/08 at 10:23 pm

Cubs win by skin of teeth.  Stupid Marmol, he's breaking.

Cards and Brewers lose.  Therefore Cubs increase division lead.  Yay.

Written By: nally on 07/13/08 at 2:15 pm

So far in this years Dodgers-Marlins season series, the visiting team has won every game. Back at the end of April, LAD took all three in Florida, and now the fish have taken the first two at "Chavez Ravine".

And this statement still stands, as the DUD-gers wasted a couple more opportunities to win last nite... in extra innings. ::) What's worse for them is that the Deebacks beat the Phils yesterday to go up 2 games in the N.L. Worst division.

Written By: La Roche on 07/13/08 at 6:23 pm

Cubs win by skin of teeth.  Stupid Marmol, he's breaking.

Cards and Brewers lose.  Therefore Cubs increase division lead.  Yay.

That's now $500,000,000 for a 5 game lead. Good job. That's what, $100,000,000 per game?  ;)

With four guys on course for 30/100 seasons or better I don't think there is an issue with the Cards offense (especially if La Russa gets his way and they add Bonds, I'll leave that for another time) consider the addition of Wainwright and Carpenter after the all star break, the only other pitcher in the NL central comparable to Carpenter is Sabbathia, Wainwright owns Harden and Carp is a superior stud to Zambrano.

Written By: Bobo on 07/13/08 at 9:51 pm

Boston win, Yankees lose, Cleveland win, Padres lose. Three outta four ain't bad!

Written By: La Roche on 07/13/08 at 9:54 pm

Boston win, Yankees lose, Cleveland win, Padres lose. Three outta four ain't bad!

You mean 1 outta four right?

Written By: nally on 07/13/08 at 10:25 pm

And this statement still stands, as the DUD-gers wasted a couple more opportunities to win last nite... in extra innings. ::) What's worse for them is that the Deebacks beat the Phils yesterday to go up 2 games in the N.L. Worst division.

My team got 6 runs in the 1st inning en route to a 9-1 win over the fish, to salvage a game in the series. w00t! :D

Written By: nally on 07/15/08 at 7:19 pm

So is anyone watching the All Star Game? I sure hope the National League wins it...they are long overdue for an All-Star win.

Written By: nally on 07/15/08 at 11:13 pm

Update... top 11th, 2 out, still tied at 3 with a runner on 1st.

Written By: La Roche on 07/15/08 at 11:15 pm

So I ridiculed the fact that the Nationals have to have a representative in the ASG, but Guzman did just make the game winning play.

Written By: nally on 07/15/08 at 11:16 pm

Okay, now it's the bottom of the 11th, leadoff man is aboard, still 3-all.

Written By: nally on 07/15/08 at 11:19 pm

Okay, now it's the bottom of the 11th, leadoff man is aboard, still 3-all.

Leadoff man must've tried to steal, cuz' he's no longer on base and there's 1 out, with the score still tied. Dioner Navarro (ex-Dodger) batting.

Written By: La Roche on 07/15/08 at 11:22 pm

Nate McLouth just threw out Navarro (an awful runner!) at the plate from shallow center. Russel Martin (way better than Soto IMO) made a great play at the plate.

Written By: La Roche on 07/15/08 at 11:24 pm

Youkillis is making faces in the dugout... Hey Kevin -

http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/gravitygraffix_2007_1039280

Written By: La Roche on 07/16/08 at 12:07 am

Ya know, I enjoy the All Star Game as much as the next man, but I have to get up at 4:45 in the morning and 14 innings is just taking the piss!

Written By: Bobo on 07/16/08 at 11:07 am

The game closed out at the bottom of inning fifteen, and I didn't go to sleep until ten to seven! I had to wake up at quarter to nine to go to work!

Written By: nally on 07/16/08 at 11:22 am

So they finally got it over with in the 15th.

Let's see...that's 12 straight ASG's that the N.L. has failed to win. ::)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/16/08 at 6:32 pm

Kinda bored right now, so this seemed like a good time to hammer out some mid-way point of the season playoff predictions. ;)

NL East: Phillies
NL Central: Cubs
NL West: Dodgers
NL Wildcard: Cardinals

AL East: Rays
AL Central: White Sox
AL West: Angels
Al Wildcard: Red Sox

World Series: Cubs over Red Sox

Mostly conventional picks I guess, except for maybe the Rays, who I do believe are for real and will hold on in the AL east. At this point, the NL west and AL central are basically toss-ups so I could wind up being wrong on both accounts there.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/16/08 at 9:37 pm

^ HA!  I'd definitely like to see that happen but I'm not holding my breath :D

I enjoyed the All-Star Game last night but it was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long...as soon as the NL put in Brad Lidge I was like "Okay, game over" :P

Darn good game though.  If the NL had pulled it out, they should have made Aaron Cook the MVP for picking up after Uggla's mess.  Or Corey Hart, if he had been able to gun down Morneau at the plate, though that was a darn good throw...close play.

Written By: Bobo on 07/17/08 at 10:05 pm

Tampa Bay Rays have won seven of their last fourteen games. Unfortunately, they've lost all seven of their last seven games! Including four straight to the Indians. Wahey. But also including two to the Yankees. Boo.

At least my Pads have the self-respect to have patchy form. Sadly, despite scoring a run in the ninth, they were unable to beat the Cards.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/17/08 at 10:17 pm

No mo Nomo

Written By: nally on 07/17/08 at 10:30 pm

No mo Nomo

Yes, I saw an announcement about that on the ESPN bottomline about an hour or so ago. He had been the Dodgers' 1995 Rookie Of The Year, and was one of their best pitchers until his 1998 trade.

I figured he was gonna announce his retirement pretty soon. He's gonna be 40 at the end of next month, and fellow ex-Dodger Mike Pizza (who'd retired earlier this year) is also gonna be 40 sometime thereafter.

Written By: La Roche on 07/20/08 at 10:59 pm

Tampa Bay Rays have won seven of their last fourteen games. Unfortunately, they've lost all seven of their last seven games! Including four straight to the Indians. Wahey. But also including two to the Yankees. Boo.

At least my Pads have the self-respect to have patchy form. Sadly, despite scoring a run in the ninth, they were unable to beat the Cards.

Padres got... swept!

Glaus is on fire right now.

Cubs only have a 2 game lead in the NL Cental and the "no chance they'll do anything" Cardinals have the 3rd best record in all of baseball. Looks like they're in the lead re: the Brian Fuentes stakes as well. We'll see what Mozeliak gives up, he strikes me as reasonably shrewd. I just hope he doesn't do something stupid like give up Brian Anderson to get Fuentes, I say trade Anderson and Dunc to the Red Sox and pick up Jed Lowrie, both sides would benefit! (Why does nobody ever ask me?)

Written By: nally on 07/20/08 at 11:34 pm

Once again, the Dud-gers share the N.L. Worst division lead with the Deebacks. Still, both teams are two games below the .500 mark, with a record of 48 and 50.

This means my team needs to win 15 more games to avoid losing 100.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/24/08 at 9:07 am

Well, the Cubs are coming home to play the Marlins, and the Cards have lost the first three to the Brewers.  Since the Brewers are now a game back of the Cubs, I hope the Cards win today :D

Written By: nally on 07/24/08 at 11:40 am

And in the N.L. East, it seems that the Mets and the Phils are once again tied up for the top spot. And with the Marlins losing to the Knaves yesterday, the Marlins are a game back (I think) and the Knaves are trying to get back into the race.

And who'da thought that the Wankees would sweep the Twinnesota Mins? ::)

Written By: La Roche on 07/24/08 at 12:37 pm

Well, the Cubs are coming home to play the Marlins, and the Cards have lost the first three to the Brewers.  Since the Brewers are now a game back of the Cubs, I hope the Cards win today :D

Urgh, messy series.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/24/08 at 9:57 pm

Mmmmk, Cardinals...so the Cubs held up their end of the deal and won, now you're supposed to beat Milwaukee so Chicago can get a two-game lead.  What's going on here?  :P

Written By: nally on 07/25/08 at 12:49 am

Well, on the up side, I am glad that the Cubbies averted a sweep by the Deebacks yesterday, for two reasons: 1) So that they could maintain their lead in the NL Central, and 2) so that the Deebacks would remain a game ahead of my L.A. Dud-gers.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/26/08 at 3:22 pm

Last night's game with the BoSox & the Yankees pissed me off-it was not so much of the score as it was with the stupid ump. He kept calling strikes when they were really balls. Even with my bad eyesight I could tell that they were WAY outside the strike zone.

Here is a blog talking about it.

http://www.soxandpinstripes.com/sox_and_pinstripes/2008/07/frustrating-nig.html#comments

And where Chamberlain almost hit Kevin Youkilis on the head. If I was Youk, I would be pissed, too. And I think he handled it quite well. I have seen other players get violent. Youk did not-but you can tell he was pissed-and rightly so.

Oh yeah, how about those Mets?  ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: nally on 07/26/08 at 10:07 pm

...and the Yuckees beat up on the Sox again. >:( This time they won by a touchdown.

I had been watching the game on Fox this afternoon, but when the Yankes started scoring a lotta runs, it got boring. ::)

Written By: nally on 07/27/08 at 1:11 pm

I was watching the Nationals/Dodgers game last night, with Odalis Perez pitching at Dodger Stadium for the first time since being traded to the Royals two years ago. He had another ex-Dodger teammate playing the field with him, catcher-turned-first-baseman Paul LoDuca. Perez's former team greeted him with three runs in the first inning, and LAD went on to win, 6-0. 8) Derek Lowe went 8 innings, allowing only one hit, and the bullpen closed it out in the 9th.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/27/08 at 1:29 pm

...and the Yuckees beat up on the Sox again. >:( This time they won by a touchdown.

I had been watching the game on Fox this afternoon, but when the Yankes started scoring a lotta runs, it got boring. ::)

Didn't watch that game-so I don't know how it was called.

When a game is played and called the way it should be and if my team loses, yeah I am disappointment but that is the way the cookie crumbles. But if my team loses because of bad calls (and I have seen that many, many times), I become PISSED-like I was during Friday's game.

Cat

Written By: nally on 07/27/08 at 1:57 pm

I dunno how any of it was called either, per se...but I don't like to see the Yankes keep on winning. ::)

And by "touchdown", I mean they won by seven runs. The final score was 10-3. (Very much like a score in a football game.)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/27/08 at 2:09 pm

I dunno how any of it was called either, per se...but I don't like to see the Yankes keep on winning. ::)

And by "touchdown", I mean they won by seven runs. The final score was 10-3. (Very much like a score in a football game.)

I knew what you meant by "touchdown".  ;)  I must admit that when I first read that I was thinking that you had your sports mixed up but then I realized what you meant.

Off topic: It reminds me of an old commercial (can't remember what it was for) but there was this little old lady with a bunch of guys watching football. The lady was so excited and said, "It's a home run".  ;D ;D ;D

Ok, back to topic.

Cat

Written By: nally on 07/27/08 at 2:19 pm

I knew what you meant by "touchdown".  ;)  I must admit that when I first read that I was thinking that you had your sports mixed up but then I realized what you meant.

Off topic: It reminds me of an old commercial (can't remember what it was for) but there was this little old lady with a bunch of guys watching football. The lady was so excited and said, "It's a home run".  ;D ;D ;D

Speaking of mixed-up sports, I remember a crazy incident in the 2006 baseball thread with posts from a couple of random guests who were seemingly clueless about baseball... I wonder if they were faking it. I just reread those posts and had to crack up :D

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/27/08 at 6:27 pm

Cubs retake a one game lead in the division, with a four-game set against Milwaukee coming up...this could be a bad week.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/28/08 at 10:32 pm

Well, it started off okay...unfortunately Lou keeps sending out Bob Howry, who keeps giving up home runs because he's a tool.  Thankfully the rest of the bullpen did their jobs well, and the Cubs took game 1 of the series and a 2-game lead in the division...for now.

Written By: nally on 07/28/08 at 10:35 pm

..so did Cc Sabathia get his first NL loss? (Edit: I guess not. He had a no decision.)

Elsewhere, Dodger rookie Clayton Kershaw finally got his first win yesterday as his team completed another home sweep of the Washington Nats.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/30/08 at 8:07 am

Woah!  Beat the crap outta Ben Sheets!  :o

So now the Cubs have earned at least a split in Cheeseland and assured that they will leave this series with a one game lead in the division...hopefully more though :D  This week didn't suck as much as I thought it would.

Written By: nally on 07/30/08 at 11:02 am

^yeah! How bout that?! :D

And the Angels have already taken the first two games of their series at Fenway Park against the Red Sox, who currenly lead the A.L. Wildcard race. Speaking of the Angels, they just received Mark Teixeira from the Knaves in exchange for Casey Kotchman.

Written By: midnite on 07/30/08 at 9:04 pm

The Yankees are back to their old ways by signing the oldest players in the league.  Since Jorge Posada went down, who did they sign?  The oldest catcher in the league - Ivan Rodriguez.  Unbelievable.

Written By: La Roche on 07/30/08 at 9:45 pm

The Yankees are back to their old ways by signing the oldest players in the league.  Since Jorge Posada went down, who did they sign?  The oldest catcher in the league - Ivan Rodriguez.  Unbelievable.

You see who got traded for Pudge. Kyle Farnsworth. Great move! Pudge ain't much no more but Farnsworth is a piece of s**t.

Written By: nally on 07/31/08 at 4:16 pm

Really, Pudge Rodriguez is currently the oldest active catcher in the majors?! :o ???

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/31/08 at 4:44 pm

You see who got traded for Pudge. Kyle Farnsworth. Great move! Pudge ain't much no more but Farnsworth is a piece of s**t.

I think the Tigers got screwed in that trade.  Way to go Detroit.

In other news, go Cubs.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/31/08 at 4:47 pm

As an addendum...I can't believe the Braves got rid of Mark Texeira...I mean, I know Casey Kotchman doesn't completely suck and they needed some pitching, but come on!  And the Reds just traded Ken Griffey Jr. to the White Sox.  It's no wonder the NL sucks, they keep giving their good players to the AL for chickenfeed :P

Written By: nally on 07/31/08 at 4:51 pm

And the Reds just traded Ken Griffey Jr. to the White Sox.  It's no wonder the NL sucks, they keep giving their good players to the AL for chickenfeed :P

Holy crap... I'd heard he was going to be traded, but I didn't expect a team like the White Sox to get him. :o

Speaking of trades, I remember hearing on ESPN yesterday that Manny Ramirez was gonna be traded to the Florida Marlins for a few minor leaguers...

Written By: La Roche on 07/31/08 at 5:40 pm

Holy crap... I'd heard he was going to be traded, but I didn't expect a team like the White Sox to get him. :o

Speaking of trades, I remember hearing on ESPN yesterday that Manny Ramirez was gonna be traded to the Florida Marlins for a few minor leaguers...

No, the Dodgers basically got Manny for Adam La Roche. Manny isn't really the key though, sure his bat will help down the stretch but he agreed to wave his options and decline arbitration, so the Dodgers will get 2 draft picks for him.

Written By: nally on 07/31/08 at 7:02 pm

No, the Dodgers basically got Manny for Adam La Roche. Manny isn't really the key though, sure his bat will help down the stretch but he agreed to wave his options and decline arbitration, so the Dodgers will get 2 draft picks for him.

Really? We got Manny?! :o

I coulda swore he was gonna be sent to the Marlins.

And by the way, we had Andy LaRoche, not Adam. I think Adam has been with the Braves.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/31/08 at 8:11 pm

Manny has wanted out of Boston for quite a while, and the Boston fans are tired of him.  But then the Boston fans are idiots.  They don't like the way he acts, like a big overgrown spoiled baby.  Can you imagine, a baseball player acting like that? 

Written By: Bobo on 07/31/08 at 8:22 pm

Indians have won tonight, and the Yankees are getting soundly thrashed. Could life be any better?

Written By: nally on 08/01/08 at 12:03 am

And by the way, we had Andy LaRoche, not Adam. I think Adam has been with the Braves.

I just saw it confirmed earlier. Indeed we got him. Perhaps he'll do better than AndrUw Jokes.

It was part of a 3-way trade. Dodgers sent Andy LaRoche to the Pirates (along with a couple of minor leaguers); and the Pirates sent Jason Bay to the Redsox.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/01/08 at 11:28 am

Yep...we lost Jason Bay and Xavier Nady....that is suckage. :-\\ Ah well..at least we still have my favorite, Jack Wilson...for now.

Written By: nally on 08/01/08 at 5:21 pm

Yep...we lost Jason Bay and Xavier Nady....that is suckage. :-\\

Yeah, Xavier went to the Wankees ::) :P

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/01/08 at 5:55 pm

The Pirates played very well today.  Marquis didn't completely suck, but the Cubs offense definitely did :P  The new additions for the Pirates seemed to work.

Written By: La Roche on 08/01/08 at 7:29 pm

Yep...we lost Jason Bay and Xavier Nady....that is suckage. :-\\ Ah well..at least we still have my favorite, Jack Wilson...for now.

Sure, for another couple of months.

Manny is Manny. Hopefully he won't get a contract! Nah, an OPS approaching .900 is worth 9-10 mil in todays market, even with the Manny factor.

Adam LaRoche is actually with the Pirates, the brothers will play across the diamond.

The Pirates played very well today.  Marquis didn't completely suck, but the Cubs offense definitely did :P  The new additions for the Pirates seemed to work.

Oh, Cubs didn't win at Wrigley, that's a shock! I love how folks talk about parks not being a factor, just look at the Cubs home and away splits.  ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/01/08 at 10:10 pm

tis true.

Written By: nally on 08/02/08 at 12:19 am

Sure, for another couple of months.

Manny is Manny. Hopefully he won't get a contract! Nah, an OPS approaching .900 is worth 9-10 mil in todays market, even with the Manny factor.

Yes, and I watched part of the game tonight, with him making his Dodger debut. Uniform number 99...whatz up w/ that? :o ::)

Adam LaRoche is actually with the Pirates, the brothers will play across the diamond.
Ah yes, you're right; Adam used to be with Atlanta; now both brothers are in Pittsburgh uniforms.

Written By: La Roche on 08/02/08 at 12:08 pm

Yes, and I watched part of the game tonight, with him making his Dodger debut. Uniform number 99...whatz up w/ that? :o ::)

Probably to show he has no interest in being there more than a couple of months.
Manny is Manny after all.

Written By: La Roche on 08/02/08 at 12:10 pm

Probably to show he has no interest in being there more than a couple of months.
Manny is Manny after all.

Just occurred to me. 24 is a retired number for the Dodgers and in a separate gripe of mine that I wont go in to 42 (the inverse) is retired league wide. So I suppose he just picked an arbitrary number. Gretzky wore 99 for the Kings didn't he?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/02/08 at 4:29 pm

Just occurred to me. 24 is a retired number for the Dodgers and in a separate gripe of mine that I wont go in to 42 (the inverse) is retired league wide. So I suppose he just picked an arbitrary number. Gretzky wore 99 for the Kings didn't he?

Yeah, Gretzky wore 99 throughout his whole career to pay tribute to Gordie Howe, who wore 9.  I don't recall if the NHL retired 99 after he retired.

Cubs won today.  I think if they could continue whatever it was they did in Milwaukee, their road split may improve.  But I'm not holding my breath for anything :P

Written By: nally on 08/03/08 at 12:49 am

Yes....I read a blurb about it in the newspaper this morning. He couldn't use 24 because it was retired by the L.A. Dodgers (it had been worn by manager Walter Alston, who led the club for many years), and they wouldn't give him 34 because no one has worn it for the team since Fernando Valenzuela left during the 1990/91 offseason to go play for the Angels. (In fact, #34 has not officially been retired, but they're treating it as if it has, out of respect for Fernando.) Then further down in the article, it said Manny thought about using 66...but he ultimately decided to turn it upside down.

Yeah, Gretzky wore 99 throughout his whole career to pay tribute to Gordie Howe, who wore 9.  I don't recall if the NHL retired 99 after he retired.

I'm not sure either...but I think the L.A. Kings may have retired his 99 jersey.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/03/08 at 5:55 pm

Cubs win by the skin of their nuts :P  Stupid bullpen.

Written By: Bobo on 08/03/08 at 8:33 pm

Gretzky's 99 has indeed been retired league-wide.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/03/08 at 10:10 pm

Brad Lidge sure has a way of making things interesting...which is probably why the NL lost the All-Star game, other than Dan Uggla deciding he would suck ass too :P

50 more games to go in the season...

Written By: nally on 08/04/08 at 12:34 pm

Dodgers end their 4-game series with the Deebacks right where they started: 1 game out of first, behind said team. I think Manny helped 'em to not fall five back.

Written By: loki 13 on 08/04/08 at 4:10 pm

Brad Lidge sure has a way of making things interesting...which is probably why the NL lost the All-Star game, other than Dan Uggla deciding he would suck ass too :P

50 more games to go in the season...

I don't think it was Lidge making things interesting as much as it was Ryan Howard and his impressive 1/2 inch vertical
leap. Sharp hit ball, one hop to Howard, a tailor made doubleplay but Howard couldn't get his fat ass off the ground high
enough to catch it.

Everyone was so caught up in this guy's ability to hit home runs that the fact that he can't play baseball got lost in the shuffle.
He is a fielding nightmare and a strikeout machine. The faster he is out of town and someone else's headache the better I'll feel.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/04/08 at 4:12 pm

I don't think it was Lidge making things interesting as much as it was Ryan Howard and his impressive 1/2 inch vertical
leap. Sharp hit ball, one hop to Howard, a tailor made doubleplay but Howard couldn't get his fat ass off the ground high
enough to catch it.

Everyone was so caught up in this guy's ability to hit home runs that the fact that he can't play baseball got lost in the shuffle.
He is a fielding nightmare and a strikeout machine. The faster he is out of town and someone else's headache the better I'll feel.

Unfortunately the trade deadline has passed, otherwise it might be interesting to offer Howard to a team that likes to overspend, like the Yankees, so he can be a DH, and get some pitching prospects in return :D

I still think the DH rule sucks though.

Written By: nally on 08/04/08 at 10:30 pm

Gretzky's 99 has indeed been retired league-wide.

Okay. Thought so. Just like Jackie Robinson's #42 has been retired by the entire MLB, except for the Yankees (since Mariano Rivera is wearing it).

Written By: nally on 08/08/08 at 9:44 am

So the L.A. Dodgers manage to once again salvage one game from the Cardinals, this time being in St. Louis. And rookie pitcher Clayton Kershaw picks up a win against the team, something he would have done on May 25th in L.A. if LAD had only preserved its lead in the 9th inning.

Written By: loki 13 on 08/09/08 at 9:06 am

Watching the Phillies/Pirates game last night reminded me why I am falling out of favor
with the game of baseball. It's not the fact that the Phillies were shut out for the 2nd
game in a row and 3 of their last 4 but the fact the game has come down to personal
stats and highlight reels. It has become a selfish game with everyone out for themselves.

last night's scenario: In the bottom 12th with the Pirates ahead 2 to 0, the Phillies had
runners on 1st and 2nd with 1 out. Chase Utley hits a line drive out to left-center and
Brandon Moss makes a head first, diving grab and in a baserunning blunder Victorino was
doubled off first ending the game.

Why was this a boneheaded play? It makes a great ESPN highlight but if I were the Pirates
manager I would chew out Moss to no end. Yes, he made the grab on a great play but the
Pirates were up 2 - 0. If the ball hits just before his glove it goes all the way to the wall scoring
both runs and putting the winning run in scoring position with 1 out.

Turns out the play worked in the Pirates favor but so many other plays like this don't. What ever
happened to simple fundamental baseball?

Written By: nally on 08/09/08 at 9:52 pm

Angels got 8 runs in an inning (late in the game) to give the Yankes a bad time, 11-4. :D

Cubbies got stomped on >:(

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/10/08 at 7:27 pm

Watching the Phillies/Pirates game last night reminded me why I am falling out of favor
with the game of baseball. It's not the fact that the Phillies were shut out for the 2nd
game in a row and 3 of their last 4 but the fact the game has come down to personal
stats and highlight reels. It has become a selfish game with everyone out for themselves.

last night's scenario: In the bottom 12th with the Pirates ahead 2 to 0, the Phillies had
runners on 1st and 2nd with 1 out. Chase Utley hits a line drive out to left-center and
Brandon Moss makes a head first, diving grab and in a baserunning blunder Victorino was
doubled off first ending the game.

Why was this a boneheaded play? It makes a great ESPN highlight but if I were the Pirates
manager I would chew out Moss to no end. Yes, he made the grab on a great play but the
Pirates were up 2 - 0. If the ball hits just before his glove it goes all the way to the wall scoring
both runs and putting the winning run in scoring position with 1 out.

Turns out the play worked in the Pirates favor but so many other plays like this don't. What ever
happened to simple fundamental baseball?

Simple fundamental baseball died with the advent of the DH rule :D  Now owners complain that their pitchers tweak an ankle or a groin because they're not used to running the bases :P

I find it amusing that I can pretty much predict when a Cub is going to strike out swinging or ground into a double play, or bail a pitcher out by flying out on the first pitch.  Need to work the pitch count a bit more, boys.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/10/08 at 7:35 pm

Case in point: Through two innings, Dempster has already had to throw 40+ pitches.  He had to waste 10 pitches on Chris Carpenter alone.  Carpenter, on the other hand, has thrown just five pitches through an inning.  Guess who is likely to last longer in the game (assuming the Cubs don't open up a can of whupass in the bottom of the second)?

Written By: nally on 08/10/08 at 10:17 pm

Simple fundamental baseball died with the advent of the DH rule :D  Now owners complain that their pitchers tweak an ankle or a groin because they're not used to running the bases :P

Yep, that's what happen to Chien Ming Wang of the Wankees in an interleague game (in an NL stadium) a couple months ago, if I remember correctly.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/12/08 at 12:09 am

Following the games today...Milwaukee and St. Louis both won so they gained a half game on the idle Cubs.  LA is winning, but have stranded 23 runners.  Is that like a record?  :D

Written By: nally on 08/13/08 at 12:01 am

LA is winning, but have stranded 23 runners.  Is that like a record?  :D

I think that's how many total runners were stranded between both teams during the game. As I recall, in last nite's game the Dodgers stranded 12, but the Phils stranded the other 11. I'll have to look at the boxscore again.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/14/08 at 9:19 am

Cubs are winning.  So are Milwaukee and St. Louis.  The latter two need to start losing ;D

I go to my first Cubs game this season next Thursday...wish I could take my family with me but the lab couldn't afford extra tickets :(

Written By: nally on 08/14/08 at 12:48 pm

Cubs are winning.  So are Milwaukee and St. Louis.  The latter two need to start losing ;D

You're right about Milwaukee...they come into L.A. for a three-game set against my L.A. Dud-gers, who've already taken the first three from the Philadelphia Phils.

Written By: nally on 08/16/08 at 12:46 am

...and last nite, they swept the Phils in four games.

Tonight, the Dodgers still remain tied for first with the Deebacks; both teams have a 63-59 record after playing their respective games. This means L.A. cannot lose 100 games this year. Woohoo! :D

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/17/08 at 3:27 pm

Cubs > Marlins, at least for one big inning :D :D :D

Written By: Bobo on 08/17/08 at 8:49 pm

Talk about high-scoring. Today's scores include a 16-8 in favour of Baltimore, a 6-15 in favour of the Yankees, and 15-4 in favour of Baltimore. White Sox score 13, while the Twins score 11.

Written By: nally on 08/17/08 at 9:24 pm

^Actually, I think the 15-4 landslide was Toronto over Boston. Still, today was a big day for high scoring in the MLB. Not to mention a 13-1 clobbering of the White Sox over the A's.

Written By: Bobo on 08/18/08 at 12:50 pm

That's what I meant to type - sorry, they were talking about Baltimore while I was supposed to write Toronto. :D

Written By: nally on 08/18/08 at 5:31 pm

That's what I meant to type - sorry, they were talking about Baltimore while I was supposed to write Toronto. :D

yep, both teams are named after birds...who were battling it out in the basement of the AL East earlier this season.

Written By: nally on 08/21/08 at 11:39 pm

Dodgers played a day game against the Rockies and avoided being swept by them, winning 3-1. Manny stole a base and James Loney hit a home run. J-Bro got his 10th save.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/22/08 at 11:00 am

Went to a Cubs game at Wrigley yesterday.  I guess in a metro area with about 10 million folks, at least 40K of them don't have to work on any given day :D

Good times, Zambrano hit a homer, and while the Reds hit a couple homers, both were thrown back, even the one that landed on Sheffield.  The guy who threw it back from Sheffield cleared the whole bleacher section and Fukudome had to field the ball.  Good times.

Written By: nally on 08/22/08 at 12:03 pm

^Glad you enjoyed the game, man.

...and now the Cubbies have the best MLB record, with the Angels and Rays half a game back of them for the best record.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/24/08 at 5:05 pm

I hate it when teams load the bases with no outs, and then can't drive in just one run.  All you gotta do is hit the ball to the outfield, come on!  :P

Written By: nally on 08/24/08 at 7:41 pm

I hate it when teams load the bases with no outs, and then can't drive in just one run.  All you gotta do is hit the ball to the outfield, come on!  :P

I feel the same way when my favorite teams do that...lol.

Written By: nally on 08/25/08 at 11:34 pm

Looks like the L.A. Dud-gers got a taste of their own medicine in Philly. When the Phillies came to Dodger Stadium earlier this month, L.A. swept 'em in four games. Now today (Monday) it looks as if the Phils completed exactly that; I saw in the 8th inning that the Dud-gers still had a goose egg on the scoreboard. ::)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/26/08 at 2:31 pm

Baseball replay

They should also include steals and bang-bang plays at each base.

Written By: nally on 08/27/08 at 10:21 pm

A costly error by Gregory Maddux in D.C. leads to another one-run loss for the L.A. Dud-gers. >:(

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/28/08 at 9:38 am

Thanks to the Cardinals temporarily deciding not to suck, the Cubs are now six games up on the Brewers.

Please to continue your losing ways now, Milwaukee and St. Louis :D

Written By: nally on 08/28/08 at 10:17 am

Thanks to the Cardinals temporarily deciding not to suck, the Cubs are now six games up on the Brewers.

Please to continue your losing ways now, Milwaukee and St. Louis :D

Hear Hear!!

And I think the Cubs have the best MLB record once again, huh?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/28/08 at 10:51 pm

I'm glad they lifted Cole Hamels...Cubs win :D

Written By: nally on 08/29/08 at 11:15 am

I was right, then!

Now tell me why the L.A. DUD-gers have just gotten swept by the worst team in the MLB...the Warshington Nationals. This brings them to Goose-Egg and 7 on their current roadtrip. If LAD doesn't start winning again, they could end up as the worst team.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/29/08 at 4:30 pm

Holy cow!  Cubs fall behind but come back to win for the second game in a row...hope it keeps going :o

Written By: nally on 08/29/08 at 6:39 pm

I sure hope so... in fact I'd like to see them go all the way!

Written By: loki 13 on 08/29/08 at 7:39 pm

Holy cow!  Cubs fall behind but come back to win for the second game in a row...hope it keeps going :o

:P TTTTHHHHHPPPPPPPPP!!!  :P

I found a new most hated team ouside of the Mets!

Nah, just kidding. Goober Manuel never ceases to amaze me. He pulls Hamels out of a game in which he had total command.

They say that a Manager loses an average of 5 games a year, Goober Manuel loses at least 3 times that every year yet this town
still loves him. I want the Phillies to do well but I just can't get behind a Goober.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/29/08 at 8:00 pm

Yeah, I was surprised that he took Hamels out, he hadn't thrown 100 pitches yet I don't think...

Written By: nally on 08/30/08 at 12:33 am

...yeah, managers like to watch their starters' pitch count...and take the starter out if his pitch count gets too high early in the game.

Written By: nally on 08/30/08 at 4:16 pm

It doesn't look to me like the DUD-gers are ever gonna win again. They've already gone O and 8 on their current roadtrip...that's pathetic. 8-P

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/30/08 at 8:04 pm

Looks like Philly finally decided to win a game, good on them...waiting on tomorrow, hopefully the Cubs win because Milwaukee is beating down on the Pirates :P

Written By: nally on 08/30/08 at 10:20 pm

It doesn't look to me like the DUD-gers are ever gonna win again. They've already gone O and 8 on their current roadtrip...that's pathetic. 8-P

Well, I'm glad the team has proven me wrong...they won in Errorzona tonight by a score of 6-2. Finally they win another game. 8)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/31/08 at 4:41 pm

Nuts...a split with Philly and a smoking hot Astros club coming up.  Scary!  :o

Written By: nally on 08/31/08 at 11:39 pm

Brandon Webb is denied his 20th victory for his second straight start as the L.A. Dodgers chase him early in the game for eight runs (six of which were earned), and L.A. finishes its roadtrip 2-8 as they beat the Errorzona Deebacks 8-1, and the two teams are now separated by 2 1/2 games instead of 4 1/2. 8) O0

Written By: Rice_Cube on 09/01/08 at 6:02 pm

Nuts.  Cubs lose 3 straight at home for the first time since last season.  Offense is sputtering like a mishandled Yugo.  *sigh*

Written By: nally on 09/01/08 at 9:00 pm

Nuts.  Cubs lose 3 straight at home for the first time since last season.  Offense is sputtering like a mishandled Yugo.  *sigh*

that is a disgrace. What's worse (as I see it) is the fact that they laid a goose egg today. :P They need to rejuvenate their offense somehow.

I certainly hope this is not the beginning of the end for them. :(

Written By: Rice_Cube on 09/01/08 at 10:28 pm

Random Cubs story

Reminds me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toNsPh-pxgc

Written By: Rice_Cube on 09/02/08 at 11:37 pm

*sigh*  Four losses in a row.  What a crappy time to start sucking :P

Written By: Rice_Cube on 09/04/08 at 10:10 pm

Cubs' off day today, hope Lou chewed them out good, I lost count of all the men left on base during this five-game losing streak.  At least Milwaukee's been sucking just as hard :P

Written By: nally on 09/04/08 at 10:17 pm

*sigh*  Four losses in a row.  What a crappy time to start sucking :P

you said it! This had better not be a meltdown, like the Mets had at the end of last year. >:(

Cubs' off day today, hope Lou chewed them out good, I lost count of all the men left on base during this five-game losing streak.  At least Milwaukee's been sucking just as hard :P

right... hopefully they'll take care of the Reds in Cincy this weekend. The Reds have a sucky record right now, but that doesn't mean anything really.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 09/05/08 at 7:49 pm

Down 9-0 to the Reds...well, even the Red Sox had their crappy runs during their Series years :P

Written By: nally on 09/06/08 at 2:07 pm

I'd like to see 'em make a comeback. They cannot afford to falter now. >:(

Written By: loki 13 on 09/06/08 at 6:20 pm

The Phillies/Mets game has been postponed until tomorrow when they will play the dreaded
day-night doubleheader. I hate this concept, hell, I remember when doubleheaders were part
of the schedule but the owners figured out a way to get more money from the fans.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 09/06/08 at 9:32 pm

They don't refund the rained-out tickets and allow them to go to the first game of the doubleheader as an option anymore?  I thought that's how it worked...

Cubs win tonight.  Good news is they scored 14 runs.  Bad news is that the bullpen is a bit sucky.  Grrr.  Always something.

Written By: nally on 09/07/08 at 11:39 am

Dodgers pound the Deebacks to take over 1st place from them since like the beginning of the season.

Written By: nally on 09/07/08 at 6:43 pm

Darn cubbies lost again! >:( I bet Rice is aware of this and not a happy camper.

Written By: nally on 09/08/08 at 10:30 am

On the up side, the L.A.Dodgers complete a perfect 6-game homestand and take a 1 1/2 game lead over the Deebacks, increasing their win streak to 8.

Written By: Bobo on 09/10/08 at 10:07 pm

I just hate when they skip out action over here just to fit time constraints. Turns out we were watching Rays v. Sox on a four-and-a-half inning delay, and the game is still going on, tied in the twelfth... come on Tampa!

Edit: And they've gone 4-1 up just before the stretch. This could easily be the game closed out!

Written By: nally on 09/10/08 at 10:55 pm

I just hate when they skip out action over here just to fit time constraints. Turns out we were watching Rays v. Sox on a four-and-a-half inning delay, and the game is still going on, tied in the twelfth... come on Tampa!

Edit: And they've gone 4-1 up just before the stretch. This could easily be the game closed out!

So TB took a lead in extra innings? I was watching the game on ESPN a while ago when it was tied 1-1 in the 8th.

Written By: Bobo on 09/10/08 at 11:02 pm

So TB took a lead in extra innings? I was watching the game on ESPN a while ago when it was tied 1-1 in the 8th.

Carlos Pena homers (28) on a fly ball to left field. Akinori Iwamura scores .Rocco Baldelli scores. Two out.

That was at the top of the fourteenth, taking it to 4-1, and incredibly at this very moment Boston have bases loaded themselves!

Written By: nally on 09/10/08 at 11:04 pm

Carlos Pena homers (28) on a fly ball to left field. Akinori Iwamura scores .Rocco Baldelli scores. Two out.

That was at the top of the fourteenth, taking it to 4-1, and incredibly at this very moment Boston have bases loaded themselves!

So it could be anybody's game then!

By the way, how are the Dud-gers and Padres doing? I'm too lazy to go check on the game right now

Written By: Bobo on 09/10/08 at 11:07 pm

Dodgers leading 5-1, bottom of the seventh.

Written By: nally on 09/10/08 at 11:10 pm

^ 8)

Deebacks lost earlier today to the Jints, so LAD could move 3 1/2 games up. Btw, the Dodgers are currently the only NL West team with a winning record!

Written By: Bobo on 09/10/08 at 11:11 pm

Tampa close out the game, final score 4-2, Ellsbury scoring a consolation run in the bottom of the fourteenth, but it's not enough.

Written By: nally on 09/10/08 at 11:14 pm

Great. O0

And their lead over the Wankees (who lost to the Angels today...and as a result, they clinch their division!!) increases even more :D

Written By: Bobo on 09/10/08 at 11:21 pm

Meanwhile, the Indians go 6-3 so far this month, while the New York Frauenheifers are stuck at 5-5. Padres, meanwhile, have a record barely worth even mumbling about.

Written By: nally on 09/11/08 at 12:18 pm

Padres, meanwhile, have a record barely worth even mumbling about.

And they still have the worst MLB record, as LAD beat up on 'em again yesterday, 7-2.

I also watched the Angels' lockerroom celebration on FSN West last night, which came after they beat the

New York Frauenheifers...clever

...to clinch the AL West division (their win was coupled with a Texas loss in Seattle). :D

Written By: loki 13 on 09/11/08 at 4:49 pm

That's it, I'm done with the Phillies for this year. It's not because they can't seem to find
their offense. It's not because their pitching has been ineffective. It's not because they have
been in some sort of funk since the All-Star break. The reason ---- it was bad enough that
Jimmy Rollins went on a nationally broadcasted TV show and called the fans of Philadelphia
"Frontrunners."  After yesterday's loss to Florida, Manager Charlie Manuel said the fans have
been coming to the games a little flat and the lack of enthusiasm is having a negative impact
on the players. Come on Charlie, It's the fans fault you can't win a game. I have never heard
a manager or player blame the fans because they're losing yet these clowns did just that.
See Ya next year Charlie, then again I hope not.

PS, Charlie made this comment on the same day the Phillies went over the 3,000,000 mark
in attendance for the year. They haven't won a World Series since 1980 and still draw millions
every year....yeah a bunch of frontrunners.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 09/11/08 at 5:00 pm

^ That's pretty low of him to say.  Considering the fans pay his salary and all :P

Could you perhaps put this aside for the weekend and hope for a Philly sweep of the Brewers?  We'd really appreciate it here in Chicago :D

Written By: Bobo on 09/11/08 at 7:03 pm

To close out a matter I had forgotten about - Dodgers closed that match up 7-2.

One match already finished for the night, and a win for bottom-of-the-table KC Chiefs. Tampa Bay are now half a game behind the Angels for the best stats in the American League, while the Cubs are five games ahead for the best record in the National League. Still, the Padres are.. (mumble) tied for the worst record in the league.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 09/11/08 at 10:24 pm

Freaking Cubs are making every game a heart attack from here on out...tonight was definitely a "save" :P

Written By: nally on 09/11/08 at 10:28 pm

Still, the Padres are.. (mumble) tied for the worst record in the league.

Yes, they once again share the worst record with the Worstington Nationals, who I thought were starting to improve as of late. ::)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 09/12/08 at 10:57 pm

Six postponements today because of the weather!  :o

Written By: nally on 09/12/08 at 11:15 pm

...which includes the Cubs-Astros series, which was already postponed because of the hurricane; I'd heard that they were seeing about playing the series in another city's stadium, which I hope happens. They shouldn't have to get deprived of a game or two.

Written By: loki 13 on 09/13/08 at 6:11 pm

I've had a change of heart, I can't let the ramblings of a madman sway my thoughts on a team
I've been following since 1969. Hopefully Goober Manuel will be gone soon and I won't have to
worry about him anymore.

So far the Phils have taken 2 games from the struggling Brewers and they're scheduled for a day/night
doubleheader tomorrow. ESPN and their stupid rules are keeping the night game from being televised,
good thing I enjoy listening to ball games on the radio.  ;D

Written By: nally on 09/13/08 at 6:23 pm

Lucky for me, out in southern CA, all of the Dodgers and Angels games have been televised locally, or sometimes on FOX or ESPN. We have not had a radio-only game in three years. I love to watch 'em on TV so I can visually access what's going on. Often times when I listen to it on the radio, and I'm just tuning in, I don't automatically know what the score is or what inning it is, etc. But I do like to occasionally listen to Dodgers games on the radio, when Vin Scully is announcing. :)

Written By: loki 13 on 09/13/08 at 8:02 pm

Lucky for me, out in southern CA, all of the Dodgers and Angels games have been televised locally, or sometimes on FOX or ESPN. We have not had a radio-only game in three years. I love to watch 'em on TV so I can visually access what's going on. Often times when I listen to it on the radio, and I'm just tuning in, I don't automatically know what the score is or what inning it is, etc. But I do like to occasionally listen to Dodgers games on the radio, when Vin Scully is announcing. :)

Listening to a ball game on the radio takes me back to my childhood, that's why I like it so much. To this day I often
sit on the deck with a New York Times Crossword puzzle and listen to the game. that's day games tough, night games
are the ones I watch.

Written By: loki 13 on 09/14/08 at 8:08 pm

I was lied to.

During a timeout of the Steelers-Browns, while listening to the Phils, I decided to do a channel search
and lo and behold, there was Phils on UPN 57. Not to screw things up with the Phils up 6-0 I switched
back to the Steelers-Browns game and left the radio on.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 09/14/08 at 9:25 pm

ZOMMFG first no-hitter by the Cubs since Milt Pappas in 1972!!!1!11!!1!1zerohits!111!1

Oh yeah, thanks to the Phillies for sweeping the Brewers :D

Written By: nally on 09/15/08 at 1:49 am

ZOMMFG first no-hitter by the Cubs since Milt Pappas in 1972!!!1!11!!1!1zerohits!111!1

So they completed it? Yowzah!! :D :D I had heard on ESPN that Carlos Zambrano was no-hitting the Stros through six...guess they pulled it off!

Oh yeah, thanks to the Phillies for sweeping the Brewers :D

...which pulls them further away 8)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 09/15/08 at 9:48 pm

Seems a desperate move, but with 12 games left in the season, the Brewers just fired Ned Yost.  Bad timing?  I don't see how this could be motivational...

Written By: nally on 09/16/08 at 11:24 am

Well, as predicted, I see that the Pirates are already WAY out of the playoff race...and they almost got shut out yesterday against my L.A. Dodger team. They scored in their last inning and lost, 8-2. Go Ba-ba-ba-Blue Crew!

Also, Juan Pierre did something for the first time in 104 weeks: he hit a home run! w00t!

Written By: Bobo on 09/16/08 at 9:21 pm

The Rays beat the Sox 2-1 to move a game ahead of them with two games in hand. This is a great result for the team who went a run down in the sixth inning.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 09/16/08 at 9:53 pm

It would appear Philly has taken over the NL East...and if the Cubs can somehow hang on...

Written By: Rice_Cube on 09/16/08 at 10:12 pm

ZOMFG stupid Kerry Wood always giving Cubs fans heart attacks :P

Magic number = 4.

Written By: nally on 09/16/08 at 11:51 pm

^but at least they won, handing Cc Sabathia his first NL loss and sending the Brew Crew down to 2nd place in the Wildcard race. Now the slumping Mets (who seem to be having a relapse of last year) lead the NL Wildcard.

Meanwhile, LAD makes it two in a row in Pittsburgh.

Written By: nally on 09/17/08 at 11:47 pm

Dud-gers dropped a big one today, 15-8 in Pitssburgh?! :o Where did all those runs come from??

Written By: Rice_Cube on 09/18/08 at 5:14 pm

What a crazy game.

Magic number = 2

Written By: nally on 09/18/08 at 10:19 pm

..Yep, thank goodness they won it. O0

Written By: La Roche on 09/19/08 at 12:41 am

Looks like it's going to be a tough post-season for me to watch.

Hate the Red Sox, Hate the Cubs, Hate the Dodgers, Hate the Mets, Hate the Angels.

Hopefully either the Phillies or White Sox will stomp the piss out of 'em.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 09/19/08 at 1:20 pm

Looks like it's going to be a tough post-season for me to watch.

Hate the Red Sox, Hate the Cubs, Hate the Dodgers, Hate the Mets, Hate the Angels.

Hopefully either the Phillies or White Sox will stomp the piss out of 'em.

I'm not holding my breath for anything, this entire season has defied explanation :P

Written By: nally on 09/19/08 at 3:36 pm

LAD's magic # to clinch the weak N.L. West division is down to 7; the Deebacks are back on a winning streak and now trail L.A. by 3 1/2 games. Heck, the Dodgers just might finish the season as the only winning NL West team, the way things are going.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 09/19/08 at 10:49 pm

Geez what a buttwhuppin'...

At least the Brewers sucked.

Magic number = 1

Written By: nally on 09/20/08 at 4:38 pm

Ooh dear... Cubbies were up 5-0, now their lead has been cut to 5-4 in the 5th! :o :( C'mon guys, don't blow it now. You need one more win to get into the playoffs!

Written By: nally on 09/21/08 at 2:18 pm

^Oh good, they won it! :D :) 8) O0 This is the first time in a century that they've won back-to-back postseason appearances.

And the Tampa Ray Bays are in it too!! For the first time ever!!! :D (But they haven't clinched the division yet; the worst they could do now is finish in 2nd place.)

Written By: nally on 09/21/08 at 5:29 pm

Cubbies won again!!

And the Redsox already blanked the Bluejays earlier...and are still waiting on the outcome of the Yankes game (which will be played tonight on ESPN). If the Yankees lose, their goose will be cooked! >:D

Written By: Bobo on 09/21/08 at 6:58 pm

Very emotional retrospective regarding Yankee Stadium on the TV just now. An incredible send-off.

Written By: nally on 09/21/08 at 7:52 pm

..yes...since the stadium has been around a mighty long time, and the very last game will be played in it tonight; in fact, I think it's going on right now! :o

Written By: Bobo on 09/21/08 at 7:52 pm

Top of the second, indeed.

Written By: nally on 09/22/08 at 11:35 am

...and the Yanks won, 7-3. I was watching the last part of the game, and the festivities afterwards, as everyone said goodbye to Yankee Stadium one last time.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 09/22/08 at 4:28 pm

The Cubs can essentially decide whether they want to face the Mets, Phillies, or Dodgers/Diamondbacks in the first round.  Only need one more game to clinch home-field.

They could also decide whether or not they want Milwaukee in the postseason :D 

Won't matter though if they choke like they did last postseason...

Written By: Rice_Cube on 09/22/08 at 4:37 pm

Ack!

So, don't tie, just win outright :P

Written By: nally on 09/22/08 at 7:08 pm

The Cubs can essentially decide whether they want to face the Mets, Phillies, or Dodgers/Diamondbacks in the first round.  Only need one more game to clinch home-field.

They could also decide whether or not they want Milwaukee in the postseason :D 

Won't matter though if they choke like they did last postseason...

If they end up facing my team, the LAD, then I will have a hard time deciding who to root for. :-\\ I will just hope for my team to keep its lead in the NL West so that the Deebacks don't get in and have the possibility of wiping out the Cubbies like they did last year. :P

Written By: La Roche on 09/22/08 at 11:50 pm

http://www.athletic-marketing.com/images/products/large/1221010707.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_NKcmPrAjak4/RwZfejLJ3cI/AAAAAAAAAQY/S3ZWSNtGhts/s1600/Choke%2BCubs.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_NKcmPrAjak4/RwZhSzLJ3eI/AAAAAAAAAQo/neN6n2MDQK8/s1600/No%2BCrying.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_NKcmPrAjak4/RwZgZTLJ3dI/AAAAAAAAAQg/VnUReoRJtU8/s1600/Choke%2BCubs_02.jpg

http://www.cubssuckclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/osama_cub_fan.jpg

http://czabe.com/daily/archives/picoday_lou_pinella.jpg

http://i19.tinypic.com/48dz52t.jpg

http://i12.tinypic.com/4ghkt4w.jpg

So Yo, what's the difference between some bums and a dynasty... about 300 miles.

Written By: nally on 09/23/08 at 10:28 am

Darnit, the Deebacks won yesterday to trim the Dud-gers' lead to 2 games. >:(

Written By: Rice_Cube on 09/23/08 at 10:38 am

http://i12.tinypic.com/4ghkt4w.jpg

So Yo, what's the difference between some bums and a dynasty... about 300 miles.

Y'know, when I went to Wrigley the first time in '01, Sammy Sosa was still on the roster but didn't play because he had like a steroid-induced knee injury or something.  Cubs still beat the Reds though...I think Deion Sanders was still playing then too.

Still not holding my breath :P

Written By: nally on 09/23/08 at 9:21 pm

Hehee...Yankes won't be seeing the postseason this year!! >:D Thanks to a win by the Redsox. Still, the Tampas and the Bostons will win the AL East Division and the AL Wildcard, in some order.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 09/24/08 at 1:39 pm

Steinbrenner FAIL

Written By: Rice_Cube on 09/24/08 at 9:54 pm

Hmmm...

Brewers are probably going to beat the Pirates, and if the Mets lose tonight, they will be tied for the Wild Card.  The question is, do we want the Cubs to play the Mets or the Dodgers in the first round?

Short series, so definitely scary...

Written By: La Roche on 09/25/08 at 12:02 am

Hmmm...

Brewers are probably going to beat the Pirates, and if the Mets lose tonight, they will be tied for the Wild Card.  The question is, do we want the Cubs to play the Mets or the Dodgers in the first round?

Short series, so definitely scary...

Unfortunatly... the Mets.

The Dodgers are a terrible team in a terrible division.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/25/08 at 7:12 am

Once again the Red Sox pull a rabbit out of the hat.  The chances are slim though.  They will have to win there next four, and the Devil Rays will have to lose there next four.

Written By: Bobo on 09/25/08 at 9:56 am

Meanwhile, the Cleveland Steamers lose a game to trip themselves up into a .500 winning percentage.

Written By: nally on 09/25/08 at 10:10 am

L.A. Dud-gers are this close to clinching the division title now!!! Chances are that they could win it before they even take the field today...since the Deebacks and Cardinals play a day game in St. Louis today. If the Cards win, then LAD will win the NL West division!! :D :D

Written By: Rice_Cube on 09/25/08 at 1:39 pm

Unfortunatly... the Mets.

The Dodgers are a terrible team in a terrible division.

I was looking at the lineup's averages and they're very top-heavy...first four hitters are hovering around .300 with Manny at .340 or so.  Then again, they haven't been facing quality pitching, so who knows...

Written By: La Roche on 09/25/08 at 3:47 pm

I was looking at the lineup's averages and they're very top-heavy...first four hitters are hovering around .300 with Manny at .340 or so.  Then again, they haven't been facing quality pitching, so who knows...

..and, they're pitching staff is poor and they play in baseball's worst division.

I could hit .250 in the West.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 09/25/08 at 5:21 pm

..and, they're pitching staff is poor and they play in baseball's worst division.

I could hit .250 in the West.

Or, if you're really patient at the plate, you might just walk eight times in a game :D

Written By: Rice_Cube on 09/25/08 at 10:06 pm

Looks like the Mets used their new weapon, Carlos Voltron :D

Right now rooting for the Pirates to beat up the Brewers and for the Twins to win...

Written By: Rice_Cube on 09/25/08 at 10:15 pm

So much for that...useless Pirates :P

Written By: nally on 09/25/08 at 10:24 pm

L.A. Dud-gers are this close to clinching the division title now!!! Chances are that they could win it before they even take the field today...since the Deebacks and Cardinals play a day game in St. Louis today. If the Cards win, then LAD will win the NL West division!! :D :D

Cardinals kicked some serious Dbacks buttt 12-3 earlier today...which means that the Dud-gers (despite being blanked by Jake PV right now) won the NL West already and are headed to the playoffs!!! (Hopefully not against the Cubbies; it'll be hard for me not to cheer for them).

Written By: nally on 09/26/08 at 1:05 pm

LAD lost their last home game last nite, 7-5 to the Pods (who could still lose 100 games), but that didn't matter because they won the NL West before game time.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 09/27/08 at 6:15 pm

So the Brewers are tied with the Mets for the wild card.  The Phillies just won the NL East by the skin of their collective nuts.  The Twins can't shake the Royals, and the Indians are beating the WhiteSux right now.  Incredible that all may be decided tomorrow, the last day of the regular season. 

Go baseball!

Written By: nally on 09/27/08 at 6:54 pm

And the Tampa Ray Bays won their first ever division title last nite, which gives the Redsox the AL Wildcard. For the ALDSes: I hope the Angels can beat the Redsox and the Rays can beat whoever wins the AL Central.

Written By: nally on 09/28/08 at 5:09 pm

So the N.L. playoff teams have all been decided!!

Brewers win and Mets lose, which gives the Brewers the N.L. Wildcard, and their first postseason appearance since losing the World Series in 1982.

As for the A.L. Central: the Whitesox won, which means they'll need to make up their game with the Tigers tomorrow, and the Twin(kies) were leading the Royals 2-0 in the 8th.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/29/08 at 12:07 pm

Once again, my Mets never fail to disappoint me.  >:( >:( >:(  At least this year they only lost it by 1 game rather than last year when they headed into Sept. with a 17 game lead and totally BLEW it!!!

At least the Sox are in it. LET'S GO SOX!!!!

Cat

Written By: nally on 09/29/08 at 1:24 pm

^speaking of which, if the White ones win their make up game today against the Tigers, then either they or the Twins will play Tampa Bay in the second ALDS. As for the first ALDS, I'll be rootin' for the Angels. My apologies. :-\\ But as I always say, may the best team win!

Written By: nally on 09/29/08 at 9:52 pm

There will be a game tomorrow!!!

Written By: Rice_Cube on 09/30/08 at 9:02 pm

I guess the ChiSux just wanted it more.  Now they're setting off fireworks :P

Written By: nally on 09/30/08 at 10:10 pm

I was watching the game earlier, with CWS up 1-0 in the 8th. I was kinda hoping that the Twinkies would take that one, but... what can i say?

Written By: La Roche on 09/30/08 at 10:32 pm

So, let's hope the Dodgers knock the piss out of the Cubs then have the Phillies stomp all over them and maybe the White Sox can win another World Series.

Chicago does have a winning history, just with a real team.

Written By: Dagwood on 09/30/08 at 10:35 pm

So, let's hope the Dodgers knock the piss out of the Cubs

Bite your tongue.  The Cubs are going to knock the piss out of the Cubs and take the whole thing, dammit. 

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/01/08 at 9:37 am

Bite your tongue.  The Cubs are going to knock the piss out of the Cubs and take the whole thing, dammit. 

And after they beat up on themselves, they'll hopefully beat some other teams too :D :D ;D

;)

I'm apprehensive, Cubs fans really shouldn't get too cocky until the team actually does something amazing...

Written By: Dagwood on 10/01/08 at 2:25 pm

And after they beat up on themselves, they'll hopefully beat some other teams too :D :D ;D

;)

I'm apprehensive, Cubs fans really shouldn't get too cocky until the team actually does something amazing...

Woops...so I didn't proofread before I hit post. ;)

I agree we shouldn't be too cocky, but it has been 100 years, dammit.  We need to win.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/01/08 at 5:52 pm

Well...someday we'll go all the way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqHTScDBsDU

Written By: Bobo on 10/01/08 at 8:17 pm

Don't know whether anyone else caught this, but here is an interesting stat:

In 2024 regular season games between the Cubs and the Dodgers, each team has won exactly 1012 games. Today's game will move either team one game ahead of the other. Still in the second here, no idea if we're on time delay.

Written By: nally on 10/01/08 at 10:01 pm

Don't know whether anyone else caught this, but here is an interesting stat:

In 2024 regular season games between the Cubs and the Dodgers, each team has won exactly 1012 games. Today's game will move either team one game ahead of the other. Still in the second here, no idea if we're on time delay.

Not necessarily....the regular season is over with, so the games that the two teams play with e.o. over the next few days do not count towards that total, since we are now in the postseason. And FTR, my team won today, on a grand-slam by James Loney, a solo shot by Manny, and a solo homer by Russell Martin.

Written By: nally on 10/02/08 at 11:00 am

And so the Angels' postseason drought against the Boston Redsox continues >:(

Written By: La Roche on 10/02/08 at 11:59 pm

Almost perfect so far. Phillies and Dodgers are 2-0 up, wouldn't mind seeing the White Sox beat the Rays but I can't help but shrug and not mind the Rays progressing. Angels need to step their game up, they're the only ones not doing their job.

Written By: nally on 10/03/08 at 2:46 pm

Angels need to step their game up, they're the only ones not doing their job.

You got that right. O0 They do need to win. In 2004 and 2007 both, they got swept in the ALDS by the Bo-Sox. This year had better not be a threepeat. ::)

Written By: Bobo on 10/03/08 at 8:31 pm

Tampa Bay have just closed out their game against the ChiSox, winning 2-6, while Sox v. Angels has just kicked off... tipped off... er.. started.

Written By: nally on 10/04/08 at 1:53 am

Angels had plenty opportunities to score runs...but the best they could do was a lead-off triple by Chone Figgins (whose name I still tend to pronounce as "choan" (rhymes with bone), but I know he says it like "Shawn") and score him on a sac-fly. Still, they couldn't win. >:( Now all four serieses have a team up two games to none.

Written By: nally on 10/05/08 at 12:18 am

So, let's hope the Dodgers knock the piss out of the Cubs

well, it looks like your prediction came true.

The Flubs' curse is going to continue for at least one more year.... ::)

But my team, the L.A. Dud-gers, finally wins its first postseason series in 20 years, by beating the Flubs. They will move on to the NLCS against the Fiddledelphia Phills or the Milwaukee Brew Crew (I'm hoping it's the latter, as the Brewers won in Milwaukee earlier to force a Game Four in their series).

Written By: La Roche on 10/05/08 at 12:30 am

Phillies - Dodgers. - Dodgers in 5. Ryan Howard rightfully denied MVP.

White Sox come from behind to beat Rays.

Defeat Red Sox 4-0.

White Sox win World series.

...we can but hope.

By the way, good work Torre, justice was done.

Written By: nally on 10/05/08 at 12:35 am

I wouldn't cross my chickens before their bridges have hatched. I don't think the White Sox are gonna rally from a 2-zip deficit. That hasn't happened in 5 years (namely with the Bostons coming back to beat the Oaklands in their ALDS). Furthermore, if I have to see a Battle of the Sox's in the ALCS, I wouldn't really care which one wins, because they both broke their respective curses within the past few years. OTOH, I am hoping that the Angles can rally from their 2-zip deficit. IMHO, they shouldda won last nite; they had lots of opportunities to get guys home, but they blew it. However, if it comes down to Rays/Redsox, I'm going with Tampa.

Written By: nally on 10/05/08 at 2:20 pm

I'd also like to see the Brewers rally from their 2-zip deficit. They're now down 2 games to 1 (thanks to yesterday), and now they're trying to win another one right now, but it's 5-1 Phils in the 7th. :-\\

Written By: Bobo on 10/05/08 at 3:58 pm

Final score 6-2, and Tampa v. Chisox has just tipped off.

Written By: nally on 10/05/08 at 4:20 pm

yep, I noticed the final score. So it's gonna be Dodgers vs. Phils in the NLCS, starting out in Fiddledelphia. I already know who I want to win that series.

I just turned on my TV a little while ago and saw that the Rays were up 1-zip in the 2nd inning.

Written By: loki 13 on 10/05/08 at 4:50 pm

Phillies - Dodgers. - Dodgers in 5. Ryan Howard rightfully denied MVP.

What? You don't think Howard deserves the MVP? Huh, Huh, Huh......
Where do you think the Phillies would be without him....Huh, Huh, Huh......

I agree, Howard 's Average is too low, His On Base Percentage is too low, his Slugging Percentage is too low,
he has too many strikeouts and too many errors. When I heard his named mentioned as a candidate I was
surprised.

Written By: La Roche on 10/05/08 at 8:35 pm

What? You don't think Howard deserves the MVP? Huh, Huh, Huh......
Where do you think the Phillies would be without him....Huh, Huh, Huh......

I agree, Howard 's Average is too low, His On Base Percentage is too low, his Slugging Percentage is too low,
he has too many strikeouts and too many errors. When I heard his named mentioned as a candidate I was
surprised.

Howard benefits from having Utley and Burrell around him. Immensely. Imagine Albert's RBI numbers with Chase batting in front of him!

Written By: nally on 10/06/08 at 4:09 pm

So the Angels keep their postseason alive...but barely. Game Four of that series starts later tonight. Right now, the Rays and Whitesox are about to square off for their game four. If the Rays win, and the Angels don't survive in Boston, I'm gonna cheer for the Rays in the ALCS.

Written By: nally on 10/06/08 at 10:55 pm

ALCS will be Tampa Ray Bays vs. Ana Boston Redsoxx. ::)

I want the Rays to win that series. If only the Angels had won just now, and force a Game Five (and win that one too), then I'd cheer for them in the ALCS, and hope for a Freeway Series World Series!

Written By: danootaandme on 10/07/08 at 9:29 am

I wouldn't mind seeing a Dodgers/Red Sox Series with the Dodgers winning with ex-Sox players Garciaparra and Ramirez.  I would love it because they would hate it sooooooooo  much.  Give new meaning to

Sweet

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/07/08 at 12:44 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing a Dodgers/Red Sox Series with the Dodgers winning with ex-Sox players Garciaparra and Ramirez.  I would love it because they would hate it sooooooooo  much.  Give new meaning to

Sweet

I'd like to see that, No-mah deserves a win of his own after all his injuries and stuff.

Written By: La Roche on 10/08/08 at 8:56 am

Sweet

I could get with that.

Written By: Penguin21 on 10/08/08 at 4:08 pm

I really want to see The Red Sox and The Dodgers in the World series since my Yankees didn't make it... I want to see Torre bring his new team all the way and make The Yankees wish they didn't lose their manager!!

Written By: nally on 10/08/08 at 4:17 pm

I think I'd like to see the Dodgers and the Rays in the World Series. This will give Tampa Bay a chance to play in Dodger Stadium for the first time ever; FTR they are the only team that the Dodgers have not yet hosted. In interleague action, the Dodgers have played the Rays only twice (2002 and 2007), and both times were in Tampa. Hopefully in 2010 there will be an interleague series featuring TB at LAD.

Written By: La Roche on 10/09/08 at 6:49 pm

I really want to see The Red Sox and The Dodgers in the World series since my Yankees didn't make it... I want to see Torre bring his new team all the way and make The Yankees wish they didn't lose their manager!!

I'd love a Dodgers - Red Sox world series for a few reasons. First of all, Manny could make the feenians pay, secondly, Torre could once again, beat up on the Red Sox and third, it's just funny to see the bigoted south boston massholes shelling out every last penny they have to see their scumbag team lose.

Written By: nally on 10/09/08 at 9:30 pm

L.A. was already up 2-0 in Philly in the 5th inning. 8)

Written By: nally on 10/09/08 at 9:46 pm

L.A. was already up 2-0 in Philly in the 5th inning. 8)

Dag nabbit, I spoke too soon; Phils just took a 3-2 lead in the 6th. >:(

Written By: nally on 10/10/08 at 12:51 am

Game over (about 2 hours ago). Phils 3, Dud-gers 2. >:(

Okay, now I hope L.A. wins in 5.

Written By: nally on 10/14/08 at 9:51 am

Now the Phils are up THREE games to ONE. >:( So now I hope there's a deciding game in the NLCS. Cuz if those Phillies get in to the World Series, I will definitely be cheering for Tampa Bay.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/14/08 at 11:12 am

I'd love a Dodgers - Red Sox world series for a few reasons. First of all, Manny could make the feenians pay, secondly, Torre could once again, beat up on the Red Sox and third, it's just funny to see the bigoted south boston massholes shelling out every last penny they have to see their scumbag team lose.

I couldn't have said it better  ;D  Since the Sox won the series those southie massholes have started wearing green Red Sox jerseys!  It is past obnoxious. 

Written By: nally on 10/14/08 at 11:08 pm

Tampa Bay took care of the Sox tonight 13-4...now they need to win one more and they're in the World Series, in only their 11th year of existence!! :D They have to get past Dicek first, though.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/15/08 at 5:52 am

Tampa Bay took care of the Sox tonight 13-4...now they need to win one more and they're in the World Series, in only their 11th year of existence!! :D They have to get past Dice K first, though.

Their pitching has been so miserable that even if Dice K gets them through tonight, they won't make the sweep they need.  Too bad, I was hoping to see then trounced by the Dodgers. 

Written By: La Roche on 10/15/08 at 9:05 am

Their pitching has been so miserable that even if Dice K gets them through tonight, they won't make the sweep they need.  Too bad, I was hoping to see then trounced by the Dodgers. 

Of course, ALCS tickets are pretty expensive as well. There's going to be a lot less money in South Boston for Stormfront and the IRA this Christmas.

Written By: nally on 10/15/08 at 1:40 pm

He won't be getting them through tonight...since the game will be played tomorrow. NLCS Game Five (between the Phils and Dodgers) is what will be played tonight; L.A. needs to win.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/15/08 at 4:35 pm

He won't be getting them through tonight...since the game will be played tomorrow. NLCS Game Five (between the Phils and Dodgers) is what will be played tonight; L.A. needs to win.

Ohhhrightrightright.  Tonight is the debate, or whatever you want to call it  ::)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/15/08 at 5:23 pm

Will FOX show the debate or the game? 

Written By: nally on 10/15/08 at 6:06 pm

Will FOX show the debate or the game? 

Well, over here they're scheduled to show the game; I hope that holds true. The other broadcast networks (CBS, ABC, NBC) are gonna show the debate.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/16/08 at 4:11 am

It's the Phillies

Written By: nally on 10/16/08 at 11:26 am

..yep, I saw the game last night. :( :-\\ What a disappointment.

Chad Billingsley was Bad Chillingsley (I had to spoonerize his name because that's how he was pitching; again he failed to get out of the 3rd inning).

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/16/08 at 11:19 pm

'Twould appear the BoSux live to fight another day...

Written By: nally on 10/16/08 at 11:58 pm

yeah...i'm a wee bit angry about that. I mean, Tampa had a 7 run lead...but then it all evaporated in the 8th inning :(

They still have a shot, though.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/18/08 at 11:00 pm

Well then...if Boston wins tomorrow, they will have come back from down 3-1 for the third time in six years...which is very impressive, despite the fact that they're the Anti-Christ.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/19/08 at 4:48 am

Please god no.  I live in the Boston area, can see it from my house, the Boston fans are already obnoxious another win will make them more impossible than they already are, if that is at all possible.  Actually, it is possible for Boston fans who already take obnoxious to unprecedented levels.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/19/08 at 1:45 pm

Well, maybe the Phillies can beat them in the World Series...if they can win in 4 or 5 games you'd only have to deal with the Sox for the two home games :P

Although after Cole Hamels the Phillies rotation gets shaky...

Written By: nally on 10/19/08 at 3:25 pm

I certainly don't wanna see the Bostons in the World Series yet again. If they get in, I think I'm gonna root for the Phils. Only because they've gone longer without winning a championship.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/19/08 at 10:47 pm

Well, the comeback came short.

But it doesn't matter as we were gonna root for Philly anyway.  National League baseball is the proper way to play.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/20/08 at 5:15 am

Well, the comeback came short.

But it doesn't matter as we were gonna root for Philly anyway.  National League baseball is the proper way to play.

Rightonrightonrighton    :)

Written By: nally on 10/20/08 at 12:54 pm

^ ^^ Too bad the first two games will be played at an AL stadium :-\\

Why'd they have to start giving home field advantage to the All-Star Game winner? >:(

Written By: nally on 10/23/08 at 12:20 pm

So the Phils won Game One. :-\\

The Rays had the bases loaded in one of the early innings, but whats-his-face grounded into a 5-4-3 double play. >:(

Written By: nally on 10/24/08 at 4:42 pm

...and the Rays won Game Two to even the series at 1 game apiece.

Game Three in Philly should be interesting, since the Phils' starter, Jamie Moyer, is 45 and taking part in the World Series for the first time ever in his career.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/24/08 at 5:19 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Series_2006

Nally fact fail.

Written By: nally on 10/24/08 at 6:17 pm

Oh yes, that's right. Tigers tied the series at 1 apiece. It just seems like it's been so long since a World Series went 1-1 before shifting to the other team's stadium.

Written By: nally on 10/25/08 at 9:13 pm

And now I'm gonna go watch game 3, although I might be a bit late by now.

Written By: Bobo on 10/25/08 at 9:14 pm

Not all that late, nally, there's been massive rain delays and it's just gotten underway.

Written By: nally on 10/25/08 at 9:16 pm

I figured there might be a rain delay of some sort, since rain was in the forecast for Philadelphia today.

Written By: Bobo on 10/25/08 at 9:17 pm

On the plus side, the weather appears to have cleared up for the time being, and I had an email read out live on air! :D

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/25/08 at 11:18 pm

As the baseball gods have decreed that the American League and the designated hitter are the Devil, the Phillies are currently up 4-1 in game 3...unfortunately, the baseball gods are not powerful enough to prevent umpire stupidity.

Time will tell if the lead will hold, and if the forces of the National League will defeat the evil that is the AL.

Written By: Bobo on 10/26/08 at 12:53 am

Game over, and it's nearly 6am! Phillies win 4-5.

Written By: nally on 10/26/08 at 2:47 pm

Game over, and it's nearly 6am! Phillies win 4-5.

Yeah, thanks to a comedy of errors by Tampa Bay in the bottom of the 9th. >:(

Written By: Bobo on 10/26/08 at 5:45 pm

Reminder to self, the baseball is on an hour earlier than normal because our clocks have gone back while clocks have not gone back in America.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/26/08 at 7:46 pm

Hmmm, epic defense fail with Tampa...will the Phillies cash in?

But to be fair, it was a bad call...umpires are blind these days :P

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/26/08 at 7:52 pm

Epic offense fail by the Phillies :P  LOB is my pet peeve.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/26/08 at 10:21 pm

It would behoove the Phillies to try to score without hitting home runs, but I guess beggars can't be choosers...

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/26/08 at 10:26 pm

LAWLZ.  I guess they like the homers.

Written By: Bobo on 10/26/08 at 10:40 pm

Final score, 2-10 Phillies.

Written By: nally on 10/26/08 at 11:04 pm

yeah, I gave up in the 8th inning when the Phils doubled their lead. ::)

Reminder to self, the baseball is on an hour earlier than normal because our clocks have gone back while clocks have not gone back in America.

that's right, in America they go back next weekend.

Written By: Bobo on 10/26/08 at 11:05 pm

Thank you for clarification. I don't wanna make the same mistake two games in a row!

Written By: nally on 10/27/08 at 10:25 pm

So the rain began to pour in Philly; I turned on the game in the 4th inning and saw that they were still playing in it...all the way through to the top of the 6th inning! I'm suprised they didn't call the game earlier and suspend it, because it looked way too wet to play even in the 5th. And I heard it's still supposed to be rainy tomorrow...which means they may not resume the game (which has been suspended) until Wednesday...which means they might play Game Six on Thursday if necessary.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/28/08 at 10:51 am

MLB Weather Fail

Written By: nally on 10/28/08 at 10:57 am

Before I went to bed last nite, I read on the ESPN bottomline that they were considering resuming the game Tuesday (tonight) at 8PM eastern time...but that obviously has yet to actually be determined.

Written By: Bobo on 10/28/08 at 12:06 pm

I don't know whether we're going to have the rest of the game over here - basketball is scheduled for tomorrow morning - Cavaliers/Celtics I believe. Whether they will show the World Series instead, is yet to be seen... I hope they do, but I have a feeling they won't.

Written By: nally on 10/28/08 at 1:58 pm

I don't know whether we're going to have the rest of the game over here - basketball is scheduled for tomorrow morning - Cavaliers/Celtics I believe. Whether they will show the World Series instead, is yet to be seen... I hope they do, but I have a feeling they won't.

Why, do they air the programs differently where you live? ??? In the US we have several different sports networks...

Written By: La Roche on 10/28/08 at 4:06 pm

Why, do they air the programs differently where you live? ??? In the US we have several different sports networks...

Because whilst it may come as a stunning surprise to you, American sports aren't all that popular outside of the U.S and thus aren't on regular network TV as a general rule of thumb, not only that, but they tend to be on at 2-3-4am.

Written By: Bobo on 10/28/08 at 4:12 pm

I just realized, Jeff, I got my days mixed up, it's okay. :D I thought the match was rescheduled for tonight (i.e. tomorrow morning) but it turns out it's rescheduled for Thursday morning, which is when the baseball slot is normally placed.

In actuality, tomorrow morning we have basketball, Cavs v. Celtics.

Written By: Bobo on 10/28/08 at 4:16 pm

Because whilst it may come as a stunning surprise to you, American sports aren't all that popular outside of the U.S and thus aren't on regular network TV as a general rule of thumb, not only that, but they tend to be on at 2-3-4am.

It was my fault, Satan's Dad. I saw the game was scheduled for "Wednesday 8:37pm", and I immediately thought it would be on for me on Wednesday — not Thursday, as will actually be.

Written By: nally on 10/28/08 at 5:38 pm

I figured it might be something of that nature. Thanks. O0

I just realized, Jeff, I got my days mixed up, it's okay. :D I thought the match was rescheduled for tonight (i.e. tomorrow morning) but it turns out it's rescheduled for Thursday morning, which is when the baseball slot is normally placed.

In actuality, tomorrow morning we have basketball, Cavs v. Celtics.

I was just curious, that's all. It's all good

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/29/08 at 8:24 pm

Tim McCarver fail.  "Tampa is almost getting penalized by playing in a National League park" he sez.

Fool!  They're playing the game the way it was meant to be played!

N00b.

Written By: karen on 10/29/08 at 8:58 pm

Phillie win

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/29/08 at 8:59 pm

National League > Tim McCarver.

Written By: loki 13 on 10/29/08 at 9:31 pm

PHINALLY!!!!!

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/29/08 at 9:37 pm

PHINALLY!!!!!

You capitalized the N!!!!  :o :o

Written By: loki 13 on 10/29/08 at 9:47 pm

You capitalized the N!!!!  :o :o

That's the first that came to my mind after I posted it.  ;D  ;D

Written By: La Roche on 10/29/08 at 10:21 pm

Good win.

NL > AL.

Ump needed shooting, the strike zone extends down as well as up dumbass.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/29/08 at 10:23 pm

The Phillies Rock!!!!!  Congrats to the 2008 Phillies - WORLD CHAMPIONS!!!!  :D

Written By: nally on 10/29/08 at 10:31 pm

I was hoping TB could pull it out, but there was no such luck this time. Oh well... the Phils were overdue for a championship anyways. They came through. And with Brad Lidge on the mound in the 9th, I figured he might slam the door, since he was perfect in save opportunities during the regular season.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/29/08 at 11:26 pm

Good win.

NL > AL.

Ump needed shooting, the strike zone extends down as well as up dumbass.

All of them needed to be shot this series, with all the ridiculous calls that were missed and the inconsistent strike zones.  Ugh.

Of course, if the Phillies didn't have so many LOB, the umps wouldn't have mattered so much :P

Written By: nally on 10/30/08 at 10:26 am

All of them needed to be shot this series, with all the ridiculous calls that were missed and the inconsistent strike zones.  Ugh.

Agreed on the ridiculous calls. Especially in the first part of game 5...in the rain. I wonder if the rain impaired the umps' ability to properly judge the balls & strikes.

Written By: Big Nasty on 12/19/08 at 7:30 pm

I often wonder if the outcome of sporting events are controlled.  I mean obviously MLB, NHL, and the NBA make more money from TV and ticket sales on a 7 game series than they do on a four game sweep.  So if the match up is right I wonder if the Refs and Umpires blow it on purpose just to extend the series.

Check for new replies or respond here...