inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2008 Superbowl

Written By: danootaandme on 01/06/08 at 2:52 pm

We can all figure on the Pats. 

The Giants are in the running as they trounce Tampa Bay as I write this,

Subject: Re: 2008 Superbowl

Written By: ninny on 01/06/08 at 6:44 pm

I hate the Pats I hope someone beats them,The NfC I'd like Green Bay, Of course it would be cool if it was Peyton against Eli.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/07/08 at 5:14 am

I'd like to see Eli take it  ;)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/07/08 at 10:37 am

I'd like to see Eli take it   ;)

He'll probably take it in the butt if the Cowboys wake up :D

Written By: danootaandme on 01/07/08 at 2:44 pm

Tiki won't be rooting for him, he'd be pissed that he left a year too soon

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/07/08 at 3:35 pm

Pats over Cowboys.

And as for the Browns...I'll be taking them to the Super Bowl. http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/pottytrain5.gif http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/pottytrain4.gif http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/06/kloguck.gif

Written By: loki 13 on 01/07/08 at 4:33 pm

I'm surprised the NFL hasn't issued a cease and desist order on this thread seeing how anal they've been
on people using the term..SUPER BOWL.

I don't think the Patriots are going to "The Big Game." If they manage to get by Jacksonville I
don't think they'll beat the Colts. Manning won't be upstaged twice in the same season.

As for the NFC, it's anybodies game. I just wish there was a way for the Cowboys and the Giants to both
lose this weekend.  ;D

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/07/08 at 7:12 pm

Too bad I can't watch the Pats game...thankfully I'll be able to watch both the GB game and the Dallas game :)

Stupid antenna won't get CBS :(

Written By: danootaandme on 01/08/08 at 6:14 am

Too bad I can't watch the Pats game...thankfully I'll be able to watch both the GB game and the Dallas game :)

Stupid antenna won't get CBS :(

I'm an antenna household, too!  Glad to see that there is someone else out there not duped into the world of pay tv.

Written By: loki 13 on 01/08/08 at 4:37 pm

I'm an antenna household, too!  Glad to see that there is someone else out there not duped into the world of pay tv.

Just a question to for you, Rice and anyone else who is an antenna household. are you ready for the digital turnover
next February? From what I'm hearing any TVs over 5 years old and still receiving an antenna signal will go dark unless
you purchase a devise to receive the digital signal. So no matter how you look at it, someone's got you by the b***s.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/08/08 at 6:19 pm

We applied for a coupon for a digital converter from the government for when that happens.  Although maybe by then I'll be rich and have enough money to buy a new TV :P

Written By: danootaandme on 01/09/08 at 6:17 am

I am applying for the digital converter.  My roof antenna  works just fine. Sometimes I look at what is on cable and don't see anything worth paying almost $100 a month for. 

Written By: Max Power on 01/09/08 at 12:13 pm

Odds are against Tom Brady since no quarterback have won the Superbowl after leading the league in yards passed so anything can still happen.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/09/08 at 5:41 pm

Odds are against Tom Brady since no quarterback have won the Superbowl after leading the league in yards passed so anything can still happen.

Then again no team ever did 16-0 in a regular season.  Records are made to be broken, that's why we watch the game.

Written By: Jessica on 01/09/08 at 10:04 pm

My parents had Dish Network and 90% of the time, there was nothing on. I'm glad we pull in Fox (for House) and ABC (for Ugly Betty). Other than that, I couldn't give a rat's ass about the other channels. :D And with the writer's strike going on, soon it won't even matter if we get those channels because they're on the last few new episodes.

I now return you to your football. :)

Written By: Max Power on 01/11/08 at 10:18 am

Then again no team ever did 16-0 in a regular season.  Records are made to be broken, that's why we watch the game.

Only way to find out.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/12/08 at 6:09 pm

Packers > Seahawks.

By the way...you're down 22 points in the fourth quarter with 12 minutes left...it's 4th and 7, hardly unmanageable even in the snow...and you PUNT?!?

LOSE!

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/12/08 at 6:27 pm

GAH!  They did it again!  >:(  They've conceded defeat with time left on the clock.

FAIL!

Written By: danootaandme on 01/13/08 at 2:20 am

What kind of magic do those Pats use?

Written By: ninny on 01/13/08 at 7:00 am

What kind of magic do those Pats use?

Spy Gate  ;D

Written By: La Roche on 01/13/08 at 8:30 am

Colts - Giants.

Tony Homo is going to be a marked man today, I think my man Michael Strahan is going to be attempting to remove Homo's head from his body.

It's a really simple equation, Dallas has trouble against the Giants running game, most teams do. If Eli can get the aerial game going then the Giants win, it's simple as, when he's in the zone he's a great QB whereas Tony Homo is mediocre, if Eli is off in dreamland again then the Cowgirls will almost certainly make it 3-0 for the season against the Giants.

Boy, Jacksonville sure rolled over.

I want Brady to be suffering from some severe nerve damage after he faces off against the Colts (who I'm pretty sure will win today). I'm not normally an advocate of taking guys out of the game, through force, but I can't stand Tom Brady. Face it, he's made enough money, I'd like to see his career ended prematurely, whilst his smug s**t eating grin can still be forgotten about.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/13/08 at 9:14 am

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/13/sports/football/13patriots.html?em&ex=1200373200&en=20b1913efcf2a2e7&ei=5087%0A

Jacksonville put up a really good first half, but after the half the Pats had their offensive moves pretty well figured out.  Nice close game, Jacksonville stood a good chance of winning it until the end of the third quarter.

I want Brady to be suffering from some severe nerve damage after he faces off against the Colts (who I'm pretty sure will win today). I'm not normally an advocate of taking guys out of the game, through force, but I can't stand Tom Brady. Face it, he's made enough money, I'd like to see his career ended prematurely, whilst his smug s**t eating grin can still be forgotten about.

it's about the only way any team is going to be able to win against the Pats.  Sorry your favorite teams suck dude...

Written By: La Roche on 01/13/08 at 9:18 am

it's about the only way any team is going to be able to win against the Pats.  Sorry your favorite teams suck dude...

;D Pretty much, it's surprising that the Giants made the Playoffs, let alone the Division series.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/13/08 at 9:40 am

Romo might have lost about 80 IQ points hanging out with Jessica Simpson in his bye week so he might be running 60-stretch-far-*YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWN* all game :P

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/13/08 at 9:43 am

I was actually surprised that 1) Tom Brady got sacked on the first drive of the game and 2) Brady actually had two incompletions.  At one point he was like 16 for 16 while I was following the game online (darn lack of CBS) and I was like, dude, he's got a remote control or a magnet in the football or something.

Written By: La Roche on 01/13/08 at 9:54 am

I was actually surprised that 1) Tom Brady got sacked on the first drive of the game and 2) Brady actually had two incompletions.  At one point he was like 16 for 16 while I was following the game online (darn lack of CBS) and I was like, dude, he's got a remote control or a magnet in the football or something.

Or a camera somewhere..  ;)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/13/08 at 9:57 am

Oh stop :D :D

They'd need to develop some crazy mad signals to translate the formations etc. that quickly but it's not impossible.

Pats D seemed shaky, they were giving up lots of deep passing plays...I didn't see any of the game at all but I assume there were lots of ill-timed blitzes or the linebackers/corners were just really slow to the ball.

Written By: loki 13 on 01/13/08 at 11:16 am

Oh stop :D :D

They'd need to develop some crazy mad signals to translate the formations etc. that quickly but it's not impossible.

Pats D seemed shaky, they were giving up lots of deep passing plays...I didn't see any of the game at all but I assume there were lots of ill-timed blitzes or the linebackers/corners were just really slow to the ball.

The Eagles found a weakness in the Patriots defense and every team since, except the Steelers, have been exploiting it.
Now if a team can figure a way to make the Patriots punt 2 or 3 times a game or force a couple of turnovers the Patriots
can be beaten.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/13/08 at 6:49 pm

ZOMFG INT in the end zone OMG.

*heart restarts*

Good job by the Giants.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/13/08 at 6:51 pm

I am glad to see it.  I hate to see anything out of Texas win  ;D  Anyway, my brother is a long suffering Giants fan, he is soooo happy.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/13/08 at 7:02 pm

glad that Indy lost... no matter how annoying people think Brady is, it's nothing compared to Peyton Manning.  Probably the only team besides the Jaguars I'd worry about for the Pats in the post-season too.  The Chargers are a hurting team right now. 

Written By: La Roche on 01/13/08 at 7:06 pm

he is soooo happy.

Ditto.

Blow me Tony Homo... actually, he might. Never mind, I'm just glad to see him lose.

After that turnaround against the Redskins in week 3 I had a great feeling that the Giants would clusterf**k their way to the end, they're one step away now. No denying today was a clusterf**k, but who cares, they won.

Written By: loki 13 on 01/13/08 at 7:48 pm

Ditto.

Blow me Tony Homo... actually, he might. Never mind, I'm just glad to see him lose.

After that turnaround against the Redskins in week 3 I had a great feeling that the Giants would clusterf**k their way to the end, they're one step away now. No denying today was a clusterf**k, but who cares, they won.

That had to be the worse possible match-up to watch in a playoff game for a die hard Eagles fan. Oh well, as much as I
hate the Gints, I hate the Cowboys more. Just watching that stupid smile being wiped off of Jerry Jones face was well
worth watching the Giants move on.

Maybe I'll have to take that fraud lable back, they Giants are playing well.  :-[

Written By: La Roche on 01/13/08 at 8:37 pm

That had to be the worse possible match-up to watch in a playoff game for a die hard Eagles fan. Oh well, as much as I
hate the Gints, I hate the Cowboys more. Just watching that stupid smile being wiped off of Jerry Jones face was well
worth watching the Giants move on.

Maybe I'll have to take that fraud lable back, they Giants are playing well.  :-[

Playing well...  :o

I say this as a Giants fan... the Giants didn't play well, they just didn't play anywhere near as bad as the Cowboys. I'm sort of surprised ESPN hasn't been paying more attention to the Giants. They've essentially become an enigma wrapped in a big question mark. Like the other week, Tampa dominated them bad, then they came back out and played amazing football, didn't put a foot wrong, it was art on the field. The game against the Jets during the regular season was quite literally an exemplification of the reason I love football, it was beautiful. Today was pretty ugly. It can be one or the other, basically what it comes down to is - Which version of Eli is coming to play? His Dad, or his Brother.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/14/08 at 12:47 pm

I done heard it will be ubercold in Green Bay next weekend.  Should be a great game.

Written By: La Roche on 01/14/08 at 2:49 pm

I done heard it will be ubercold in Green Bay next weekend.  Should be a great game.

2, 3 degrees maybe.

Written By: tv on 01/17/08 at 2:02 pm

glad that Indy lost... no matter how annoying people think Brady is, it's nothing compared to Peyton Manning.  Probably the only team besides the Jaguars I'd worry about for the Pats in the post-season too.  The Chargers are a hurting team right now. 
I like Peyton Manning he's seems like alright guy. As for Brady he has the "pretty boy" image so thats why people don;t like him. Brady is a great quarterback though.

The Colts are just like the Detroit Pistons in this decade they got to the playoffs every year and they lose except for winning the championship once: The Colts did it last year and the Pistons did it in 2004 in winning the championship. The Atlanta Braves used to do the same thing as the Colts and the Pistons: go to the Playoffs every year but have one championship to show for it. I think the Braves won the world series in 1995 in beating the Cleveland Indians.

I can understand how the Colts lost to the Patroits in the playoffs in 2003-2004 and in 2004-2005 but to lose to Pittsburgh at home in 2005-2006 and to lose to Tennesee in 1999-2000 in the Divisional Round of the Playoffs the Colts should won those 2 playoffs games.

Written By: ninny on 01/17/08 at 2:47 pm

Obviously both Tom Brady & Peyton Manning are very talented & competitive,but I think Peyton is more personalable after seeing him on SNL.As far as who is more talentedI would have to give a slight edge to Brady,he seems to keep a cooler head,Peyton sometimes tries to over due it

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=15722759

Written By: La Roche on 01/20/08 at 11:38 am

I think this little haiku could sum up today, we shall wait and see, I just couldn't resist posting it -

First Bush and now Farve
Another rich redneck boy
Crushing my morale

;D

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/20/08 at 5:38 pm

it was another squeaker... but the Pats managed to keep the Chargers contained to kicking field goals all day.  Teams can't win against the Pats with nothing but field goals.

The Chargers were excellent at making turnovers, but then again the Pats managed almost as many.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/20/08 at 6:57 pm

So far Giants 6 Green Bay 7 in the 2nd, Green Bay with the ball.  I don't know how they can hold the ball in that cold. It must suck.  It's early, but GB seems to be playing the better game.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/20/08 at 9:14 pm

GIANTS!!!!!!!

Written By: La Roche on 01/20/08 at 9:16 pm

THE GIANTS WIN THE CHAMPIONSHIP! THE GIANTS WIN THE CHAMPIONSHIP! THE GIANTS WIN THE CHAMPIONSHIP!

Written By: KKay on 01/20/08 at 9:40 pm

i thought that game would never end.
kick after kick after kick....

Written By: La Roche on 01/20/08 at 9:42 pm

i thought that game would never end.
kick after kick after kick....

Yeah, I just broke the arm of my couch, when Lawrence Tynes missed that kick at the end, I punched the arm and broke the wood in it.  ;D

Written By: KKay on 01/20/08 at 9:43 pm

Yeah, I just broke the arm of my couch, when Lawrence Tynes missed that kick at the end, I punched the arm and broke the wood in it.  ;D

that was amazing.
i thought..."i can do THAT"

no matter, win or not, 20 below or not.  that guy may be out of a job.

Written By: La Roche on 01/20/08 at 9:45 pm

that was amazing.

Yeah, but check out Eli. Apparently he came of age against Tampa and hasn't looked back. I was ripping on Farve all game, including the somewhat poetic "SEE THAT MOTHER F**KER, THAT'S THE FUTURE LOOKING AT YOU!"

Written By: Red Ant on 01/21/08 at 12:42 am

that was amazing.

Not after hitting the 47 yard FG in OT. Tynes did miss the first two attempts badly, but the snap on the second FG attempt was pretty awful. Kicking in -3* temperatures is probably like trying to kick a cinderblock... 100 feet at that.

Giants vs Patriots in the Superbowl, with the Pats already having a supposed 14 point advantage. I dunno. The Patriots didn't stomp a mudhole in San Diego today, a team that was playing with a lot of its starters missing due to injury.

I think I would have rather seen the Chargers vs the Patriots, but NY does have a 10 game road win streak going for them as well as few turnovers in the postseason..

Just for grins, I'll call the Superbowl in favor of NE, 31 to 22 (NE: 4 TDs and a FG, NYG: 2 TDS, 2 FGs and a safety).

I don't think NE will beat the spread, but they will win.

Ant

Written By: danootaandme on 01/21/08 at 5:39 am

I don't think NE will beat the spread, but they will win.

Ant

I think New England will take it.  But I am going to hope for the  Giants

Written By: La Roche on 01/21/08 at 9:13 am

No, all wrong.

The Giants will win, 24 - 21.

Strahan will own Brady, Moss will be covered out of the game. The Fenians will use alternate Receiver's but the Giants defense will remove Brady's ability to pass. The secondary will blitz and that's how NE will score their touchdowns, on the mistakes of the Giants secondary.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/21/08 at 9:20 am

No, all wrong.

The Giants will win, 24 - 21.

Strahan will own Brady, Moss will be covered out of the game. The Fenians will use alternate Receiver's but the Giants defense will remove Brady's ability to pass. The secondary will blitz and that's how NE will score their touchdowns, on the mistakes of the Giants secondary.

Here's hoping  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/thumbsup.gif

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/21/08 at 10:41 am

...and that is why they play the games :D :D

I think it will be a really close game, unless Bad Eli resurfaces.

Written By: La Roche on 01/21/08 at 10:45 am

I think it will be a really close game, unless Bad Eli resurfaces.

Bad Eli is gone bro, that's the future right there on the gridiron. It took Peyton what, 9 years to go to a Superbowl, Eli's there in 4, that's the legacy baby, the legacy!

Right now, Tom Brady's sitting there in his little house, with his little wife and his little kid.. and he's just got a little pain there in the back of his head, that's time baby, time's gonna kick your ass in Arizona!

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/21/08 at 3:01 pm

I think if Eli can win the Super Bowl, nobody can ever criticize him again, even if he reverts to Bad Eli :)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/21/08 at 5:26 pm

I don't care who wins as long as it ain't the Patriots.  ;)

what's really most important here is that after each quarter, the score needs to end  8 & 0 or 1 & 1 as those are my numbers for my squares in the superbowl pool.  28-20 NYG win, that works, or 31-21 NYG win that works and then I win and buy drinks for all my friends. 

Written By: loki 13 on 01/21/08 at 8:10 pm

I wanted Green Bay to win, I work with a guy who was born in New York so naturally he's a Giants fan.
I told him if the Giants won I would become the biggest Giants fan ever just so someone would beat the
Patriots.

You know what? I can't do it. I'm an Eagles fan, a die hard Eagles fan, so it is impossible for me to hope for
success of any NFC East team other than the Eagles. I tried to talk myself into it but I just can't, sorry Andy.
This will probably be the only Super Bowl I have no interest in. Thanks Favre.. >:(

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/21/08 at 8:27 pm

I wanted Green Bay to win, I work with a guy who was born in New York so naturally he's a Giants fan.
I told him if the Giants won I would become the biggest Giants fan ever just so someone would beat the
Patriots.

You know what? I can't do it. I'm an Eagles fan, a die hard Eagles fan, so it is impossible for me to hope for
success of any NFC East team other than the Eagles. I tried to talk myself into it but I just can't, sorry Andy.
This will probably be the only Super Bowl I have no interest in. Thanks Favre.. >:(

totally understandable Kevin. I'm an American League fan in Baseball and find it difficult to root for the National league.
Brett Favre didn't have much zip behind his passes, man, those things were just floating and easily up for grabs. I hate to see him go out like that.  :(

Written By: loki 13 on 01/21/08 at 8:35 pm

totally understandable Kevin. I'm an American League fan in Baseball and find it difficult to root for the National league.
Brett Favre didn't have much zip behind his passes, man, those things were just floating and easily up for grabs. I hate to see him go out like that.  :(

Favre made some really bad decisions on his passes, all through his career he's been known to just throw the
ball up for grabs but he is usually good enough to overcome the mistakes. Yesterday was just one mistake after
another.

Another thing with Favre, where was he getting hanky from and where did he put it after wiping his nose?
maybe that's why he wasn't completing passes, the damn ball was to slippery.  8-P

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/21/08 at 8:42 pm

Favre made some really bad decisions on his passes, all through his career he's been known to just throw the
ball up for grabs but he is usually good enough to overcome the mistakes. Yesterday was just one mistake after
another.

Another thing with Favre, where was he getting hanky from and where did he put it after wiping his nose?
maybe that's why he wasn't completing passes, the damn ball was to slippery.  8-P
snot on the ball!  How's he supposed to throw a good spiral like a laser under those conditions.  oh well, do you think he's done or one more year?

Written By: loki 13 on 01/21/08 at 8:58 pm

snot on the ball!  How's he supposed to throw a good spiral like a laser under those conditions.  oh well, do you think he's done or one more year?

My guess is he'll start the year, then at some point in the season he'll take a back seat.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/21/08 at 9:04 pm

My guess is he'll start the year, then at some point in the season he'll take a back seat.
I think you're right. He sure doesn't want the last pass of his career to be an interception. one more good game would be nice, and then hang em up.

Written By: La Roche on 01/21/08 at 10:24 pm

Patriots.

Kev, if you supported the Giants I'd probably be forced to slap you with a fish. It'd be as un-natural as me supporting the Mets or the Cubs, just ain't gonna happen.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/21/08 at 10:28 pm

Kev, if you supported the Giants I'd probably be forced to slap you with a fish. It'd be as un-natural as me supporting the Mets or the Cubs, just ain't gonna happen.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/splat.gif

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/22/08 at 1:21 pm

Eddie Murphy predicts the future:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izArWUVtMC4

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/22/08 at 1:23 pm

I just love all the hate for the Pats.  The more you guys whine "cheaters" the more fired up they get.  Why do you think there were so many blow out games in their season?

The Pats have already beaten the Giants a couple times this season, I don't think it's going to be a huge blow out, but I'm sure they're not going to lose.

Written By: ninny on 01/22/08 at 2:33 pm

I just love all the hate for the Pats.  The more you guys whine "cheaters" the more fired up they get.  Why do you think there were so many blow out games in their season?

The Pats have already beaten the Giants a couple times this season, I don't think it's going to be a huge blow out, but I'm sure they're not going to lose.

Because they still have all the cheat tapes of everyone,they only played the Giants once and barely beat themSat, Dec 29 @ NY Giants W 38-35 ,Everyone knows they are the "bullies on the playground"and once you find their weakness it's easy to get the bully down.The Giants have a good pass rushing defense that could disrupte Brady's game.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/22/08 at 3:14 pm

Because they still have all the cheat tapes of everyone,they only played the Giants once and barely beat themSat, Dec 29 @ NY Giants W 38-35 ,Everyone knows they are the "bullies on the playground"and once you find their weakness it's easy to get the bully down.The Giants have a good pass rushing defense that could disrupte Brady's game.

cheat tapes of everyone? they were "busted" after the second games of the season. what were they filming?  The field that was in view of everyone, you'd think they were filming something top secret like the locker room.

sad how many people buy into the cheating thing, because it gives useless sports radio hosts something to yap about and fill up time.  Good issue for them, because you get to hear a bunch of haters prattle on about how a 19-0 season doesn't matter now.  Their favorite team lost because the Pats cheat! Not because they were out played.

the Chargers had a great record of making turn overs, and last week was no exception, they had three turn overs including one in the end zone.  They still lost.  The Chargers basically shut down the passing game for most of the game, and the Pats still had a running game that beat the Chargers. 

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/22/08 at 3:21 pm

The Chargers lost because they were pansies.

Come on, go for it on fourth down!  You're gonna lose anyway, might as well go out in STYLE!  :P

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/22/08 at 3:23 pm

The Chargers lost because they were pansies.

Come on, go for it on fourth down!  You're gonna lose anyway, might as well go out in STYLE!  :P

I don't think they expected the Pats last drive to consume 9 minutes of clock time... plus when you're 3rd and nine, you're probably not going to make the conversion on the 4th down.

Written By: ninny on 01/22/08 at 3:46 pm

cheat tapes of everyone? they were "busted" after the second games of the season. what were they filming?  The field that was in view of everyone, you'd think they were filming something top secret like the locker room.

sad how many people buy into the cheating thing, because it gives useless sports radio hosts something to yap about and fill up time.  Good issue for them, because you get to hear a bunch of haters prattle on about how a 19-0 season doesn't matter now.  Their favorite team lost because the Pats cheat! Not because they were out played.

the Chargers had a great record of making turn overs, and last week was no exception, they had three turn overs including one in the end zone.  They still lost.  The Chargers basically shut down the passing game for most of the game, and the Pats still had a running game that beat the Chargers. 

They have been Cheating for years,they just happened to get caught this year.I also believe the 1972 Miami Dolphins have alot to say about the Pats record.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/22/08 at 3:58 pm

They have been Cheating for years,they just happened to get caught this year.I also believe the 1972 Miami Dolphins have alot to say about the Pats record.

the 72 Dolphins are the most whiny bunch of football players I've ever heard... I'll be happy to see their record eclipsed.

As for cheating for years... no evidence.  Again, how were they cheating?  They were filming from the field instead of from the seats.  Wow, what a huge advantage! 

Written By: danootaandme on 01/22/08 at 4:13 pm

Now listen, all this anti Pats thing is just whiny crybaby stuff. It happens when they are the best, for some reason people don't like to see anyone else but their own team make this kind of distinction. I am going for the Giants because my brother is a huge Giants fan and so I am hoping they win it for him.  Any other team and I would probably be rooting for the Pats without reservation.

Written By: ninny on 01/22/08 at 4:29 pm

the 72 Dolphins are the most whiny bunch of football players I've ever heard... I'll be happy to see their record eclipsed.

As for cheating for years... no evidence.  Again, how were they cheating?  They were filming from the field instead of from the seats.  Wow, what a huge advantage! 

Apparently it was enough of an advantage that they were punished for it Belichick was fined $500,000, the team was fined $250,00 and they lost a first-round draft choice. That tells you the seriousness or significance of what they found.  Unless the NFL just goes around fining teams for no reason

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/22/08 at 5:53 pm

Methinks the fines for "Spygate" were deserved, even though it probably didn't help them blow out the Jets :P

I think Norv Turner's playcalling was too conservative.  They had short yardage on their four FG tries, would've been a whole new ball game.  Plus, you're down TWO scores in the fourth quarter in enemy territory, and you punt?  LOSE.

Written By: La Roche on 01/22/08 at 7:26 pm

My dislike isn't so much for the Pats, it's for Tom Brady. Put Tom Brady behind a normal offensive line and he'd be well acquainted with the turf. There's a reason he wasn't a first round draft pick, he's not that good. Put him behind the Giants offensive line and he'd be out of the game by the third quarter with broken ribs.

Written By: loki 13 on 01/22/08 at 7:36 pm

The reason I wanted someone to beat the Patriots is rather petty but my reason none the less.
It's not pretty boy Brady or the fact that they keep winning. it's not the spy scandal, hell all teams
try to find an edge. The reason I wanted the Patriots to lose is because Belichek looks like he should
be selling pencils on a street corner rather than coaching a professional football game. Your a head
coach, dress like one.

See I told you my reason was petty.  ;D

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/22/08 at 8:05 pm

Apparently it was enough of an advantage that they were punished for it Belichick was fined $500,000, the team was fined $250,00 and they lost a first-round draft choice. That tells you the seriousness or significance of what they found.  Unless the NFL just goes around fining teams for no reason

Yet I hear people claim that was just a slap on the wrist... they were being made an example due to the uproar by the pissed off Jets fans who thought they were robbed in a game they were clearly out played in.  I'm sure the Pats taping from a spot they weren't supposed to is why the Jets went 4-12 too.

They paid their fine and stopped doing it.  Nothing less than death by firing squad is enough for some people I guess.

Written By: loki 13 on 01/22/08 at 8:35 pm

The misconception here is that the Patriots have no 1st round pick. What they lost was their first round pick which would
have been the 32 pick in the draft, not that big of a loss. The Pats still have the pick from the 49ers which is 7th, you think
they really care about the 32nd pick.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/22/08 at 9:55 pm

My dislike isn't so much for the Pats, it's for Tom Brady. Put Tom Brady behind a normal offensive line and he'd be well acquainted with the turf. There's a reason he wasn't a first round draft pick, he's not that good. Put him behind the Giants offensive line and he'd be out of the game by the third quarter with broken ribs.

The Giants O-line played pretty darn well over the past couple games though.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/22/08 at 9:56 pm

The misconception here is that the Patriots have no 1st round pick. What they lost was their first round pick which would
have been the 32 pick in the draft, not that big of a loss. The Pats still have the pick from the 49ers which is 7th, you think
they really care about the 32nd pick.

Yeah, that seems a bit unfair, doesn't it?  :P

Written By: danootaandme on 01/23/08 at 5:03 am

And now there is Bradys foot.

Written By: ninny on 01/23/08 at 6:56 am

Yet I hear people claim that was just a slap on the wrist... they were being made an example due to the uproar by the pissed off Jets fans who thought they were robbed in a game they were clearly out played in.  I'm sure the Pats taping from a spot they weren't supposed to is why the Jets went 4-12 too.

They paid their fine and stopped doing it.  Nothing less than death by firing squad is enough for some people I guess.

First off I'm a Bills fan,so I don't really care too much for the Jets.The question here is not how bad the other teams were,but what advantage it gave the Pats over those teams

Written By: tv on 01/23/08 at 7:55 am

Go Giants! Who expected the Giants to go to the Super Bowl this year?

Written By: danootaandme on 01/23/08 at 8:09 am

This is heaven for the fans of the underdog

http://www.flashmanstudios.com/uploads/underdog_200x80.jpg

Written By: danootaandme on 01/23/08 at 8:11 am

Brady is walking around with a cast on his foot.  He says he is fine, so is there really a problem, are they just funning with the bookies, does Belicheck have something up his sleeve?

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/23/08 at 11:33 am

First off I'm a Bills fan,so I don't really care too much for the Jets.The question here is not how bad the other teams were,but what advantage it gave the Pats over those teams

well if your argument is that they taped all the coaches from the previous season, it's a pretty weak argument.  Unless you think they wouldn't change their calls around for the new season.  C

If it was such a great advantage, why did they not appear in the Super Bowl the previous two years when it was supposedly going on?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/23/08 at 11:49 am

Brady's foot is probably fine, if it wasn't he would be locked up in the fix-it-up chamber in Foxboro :D

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/23/08 at 11:54 am

Brady's foot is probably fine, if it wasn't he would be locked up in the fix-it-up chamber in Foxboro :D

kind of what I'm thinking... he'd be getting a lot of rest not out walking around in public.  I'm sure it's making a lot of bookies sweat bullets though.

I don't gamble, but what's the spread?  Have they changed it recently?

Written By: Red Ant on 01/23/08 at 12:51 pm

kind of what I'm thinking... he'd be getting a lot of rest not out walking around in public.  I'm sure it's making a lot of bookies sweat bullets though.

I don't gamble, but what's the spread?  Have they changed it recently?

I think it was initially 13.5 points in favor of NE. No idea now.

Ant

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/23/08 at 1:46 pm

The spread is too high in my humble opinion.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/23/08 at 3:35 pm

The spread is too high in my humble opinion.

I'm a Pats fan, and I'm not expecting that big a win.

Written By: La Roche on 01/23/08 at 3:36 pm

I think it was initially 13.5 points in favor of NE. No idea now.

Ant

12.5 was what I saw.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/23/08 at 3:39 pm

I think it'll be another one of those 3 point Super Bowls the Pats have been playing where they either stop the Giants from making the tying field goal at the whistle (likely with that Tynes fellow) or where Gostzhzhzfhsky kicks the winner for NE and trumps Vinatieri for Patriots hot manlove forever :)

Written By: loki 13 on 01/26/08 at 4:29 pm

Okay, I've had enough. Everywhere I look I see Giant jackets and jerseys. I am in the heart of Eagle country,
and these supposed Giant fans are coming out of the freakin' woodwork. Just to shut up these fair weather
frontrunners I hope the Patriots are up by 35 points by halftime and I hope every one of these dopes breaks
their ankles jumping off the bandwagon.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/26/08 at 4:55 pm

Okay, I've had enough. Everywhere I look I see Giant jackets and jerseys. I am in the heart of Eagle country,
and these supposed Giant fans are coming out of the freakin' woodwork. Just to shut up these fair weather
frontrunners I hope the Patriots are up by 35 points by halftime and I hope every one of these dopes breaks
their ankles jumping off the bandwagon.

You'd feel different if you were anywhere in New England.  There is a die-hard core of Giants fans because there wasn't a football team here before 1960.  There are many here who grew up as Giants fans and never deserted.  They are being accosted in the streets, seriously, my brother is a Giants fan and no one, I mean no one, can be ruder than a Boston hometown sports fan, the sport doesn't matter, it is just a reason to be rude. 

Written By: loki 13 on 01/26/08 at 5:10 pm

You'd feel different if you were anywhere in New England.  There is a die-hard core of Giants fans because there wasn't a football team here before 1960.  There are many here who grew up as Giants fans and never deserted.  They are being accosted in the streets, seriously, my brother is a Giants fan and no one, I mean no one, can be ruder than a Boston hometown sports fan, the sport doesn't matter, it is just a reason to be rude. 

I know I'm being overly critical, after all the Meadowlands is just 45 minutes or so up the turnpike. The die hard fan doesn't
bother me because they stay with a team win or lose and will where the teams colors win or lose. I just don't like people
who jump on the band wagon.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/26/08 at 5:47 pm

it's not just that it's the opposing team though.  It's a New York team.  Bostonians have always had a complex about New York ever since the eclipsed Boston in just about everything else.

A former co-worker (retired the first of the year) went out to Indy for the Pats-Colts game this year.  He dressed in the team gear, and while he did get some taunts, it was all fairly well-natured.  I hate the fans that take it too far though, and it seems like there's more of them in the Boston area than anywhere else.

Written By: danootaandme on 02/03/08 at 6:43 pm

Lamest commercials I have ever seen  :P

Written By: Red Ant on 02/03/08 at 6:58 pm

The Patriots may be ahead 7-3, but they aren't really winning. Their first half stats are abysmal.

Lamest commercials I have ever seen   :P

The one where the woman's heart exploded out of her chest started out promising enough...

Ant

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/03/08 at 7:06 pm

Halftime 3 to 7 Patriots.

WOO-HOO! GO PATS!

Might have to change my tune before it's over.  Smart money's on the Giants.
:-\\

I'm really hoping the Patriots win because if they lose, there will be riots up here.  If they win there will also be riots, just not as bad. 

They're also warning everybody here in MA there will be more drunks on the road tonight than on any other night of the year.  I gotta drive home at midnight.
:o

Best cross my fingers count three and pray! 

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/03/08 at 7:08 pm

The Patriots may be ahead 7-3, but they aren't really winning. Their first half stats are abysmal.

The one where the woman's heart exploded out of her chest started out promising enough...

Ant

they just can't block for Brady at all.  There have been some bad calls, but not enough of those to make up for the poor performance so far.  Usually if the Pats are playing this bad in the first half, the second half goes a lot better for them.  I don't think anyone expected a game to be this low scoring.

Written By: loki 13 on 02/03/08 at 7:45 pm

Can these two teams play any worse. As it looks now this Super Bowl will go down as
the most boring in history.

Written By: Bobo on 02/03/08 at 9:07 pm

*sits and ogles television in amazement*

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/03/08 at 9:07 pm

I can't believe the Pats lost such a close game... unbelievable.  Now we're going to have to listen to countless more years of the damn 72 Dolphins every time someone gets close... wonderful!

Written By: danootaandme on 02/03/08 at 9:09 pm

:o
        WOWEEE

Written By: loki 13 on 02/03/08 at 9:09 pm

I'll give the Giants their props, they wanted it more. That being said Eli Manning has to be the
luckiest SOB on the planet. On that last drive he threw at least 5 balls up for grabs, 1 could have
been picked off, 3 should have been picked off and 1 guy catches a ball with his helmet. It was
still a boring game. The Giants win makes it worse.

On a side note, why did they have to constantly show that dope Peyton Manning. He had nothing to
do with this game. It's bad enough his face is selling everything under the sun, now his mug has to ruin
an already bad Super Bowl.

Written By: danootaandme on 02/03/08 at 9:10 pm

I'm stunned.  I never thought the Giants would take it, and I never thought it the Pats would let it end so close.

Written By: loki 13 on 02/03/08 at 9:11 pm

I can't believe the Pats lost such a close game... unbelievable.  Now we're going to have to listen to countless more years of the damn 72 Dolphins every time someone gets close... wonderful!

That's another reason I was pulling for the Patriots. I've heard enough whining from Mercury Morris and Don Shula.

Written By: loki 13 on 02/03/08 at 9:14 pm

I'm stunned.  I never thought the Giants would take it, and I never thought it the Pats would let it end so close.

The Giants had an excellent defensive gameplan, I think Belichick was too arrogant and set in his
ways to change his. I mean, come on. going for fourth and what, 13 on the 30 yard line. What was that?

Written By: Red Ant on 02/03/08 at 9:14 pm

http://www.orlyowl.com/upload/files/omgwtf.jpg

The Giants won!  :o :o

Can these two teams play any worse. As it looks now this Super Bowl will go down as
the most boring in history.

Are you kidding? No time to argue, I have to go put some Bactine on what's left of my fingernails!

I have to admit, that play the Giants pulled off at the 1:00 mark, with Manning somehow escaping a nasty sack to throw a certain interception into a huge completion is one of the most "wtf?" plays I've ever seen.

Ant

Written By: loki 13 on 02/03/08 at 9:18 pm

Are you kidding? No time to argue, I have to go put some Bactine on what's left of my fingernails!

I stand by my comment, with no real rooting interest in the game to me it was boring. Both teams wait until
the last 7 minutes to play football?

Written By: Red Ant on 02/03/08 at 9:22 pm

Both teams wait until the last 7 minutes to play football?

Well, yeah, but it was a good 7 minutes!

I didn't have a real interest in who won this game - the Giants winning is one of the biggest upsets ever. OTOH, like Chucky mentioned, if the Patriots won we wouldn't have to hear about the 72 Dolphins for the rest of our lives.

But yeah, the first 45 minutes of the game was Snoozefest 42. There weren't even two complete drives by the end of the first quarter!

Ant

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/03/08 at 9:40 pm

That was like the Super Bowl with the Rams and Titans, good down to the last play.  I don't think this is as much of an "upset" at all.

Written By: La Roche on 02/03/08 at 11:35 pm

Now..

Not to be an azzhole, but I believe there was a certain gentlemen not too far from here who maintained that the Giants would win the superbowl because defense wins football games. He's currently smiling after watching a great back and forward game.

All the respect in the world to the Patriots, when they got rolling, I thought they'd won. I feel sorry for the team having Belichek as their coach, they could well end up being stripped of their win over the Rams because.. surprise surprise, Belichek has been cheating for a long time. But still. Plaxico Burress promised a win, Plaxico delivered.
Eli wasn't lucky, Eli was good. Maybe he's come of age, maybe he's just in form. I don't know. But consider how many rookies were on the team, the Giants could actually be a real competitor for a couple of years, for now, let's just say I have a certain sense of smug satisfaction knowing that occasionally, loyalty and hope.. pay out.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/03/08 at 11:38 pm

Eli ended up not screwing it up, but the story was the big time defense.  That one interception wasn't even Eli's fault.  I think he needs another good year under his belt before we can call Eli Manning "The Next Coming" but I don't think they'll be able to criticize him as harshly after this win.  I wonder how the Pats feel having been dispatched by a Manning two straight years.

Written By: Max Power on 02/04/08 at 5:37 am

That felt good :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/04/08 at 5:43 am

Did the best team win?

Written By: ninny on 02/04/08 at 7:50 am

Did the best team win?

That would depend on who you talked to, I say yes the best team won,because the Giants were underdogs and beat the Pats who had been undefeated,they had the more complete game,great defense and enough offense to win.

Written By: karen on 02/04/08 at 7:59 am

I didn't watch all of the game.  Dai was complaining about some chance for a kick the Pats had (from about 20 yards I think) and they decided to runit instead?  He reckons that might have been the clincher.  Pats being 10-3 up would have changed the game.

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/04/08 at 10:18 am

I didn't watch all of the game.  Dai was complaining about some chance for a kick the Pats had (from about 20 yards I think) and they decided to runit instead?  He reckons that might have been the clincher.  Pats being 10-3 up would have changed the game.

it was 4th and 23, they would have had to make a 50 yard field goal.  not impossible, and probably more likely than scoring a touch down pass against a team that was keeping intense pressure on the quarterback until the forth quarter.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/04/08 at 10:26 am

It was 4th and 13 and the kicker wasn't Adam Viniateri :D

Written By: MrCleveland on 02/04/08 at 11:54 am

And the Pats failed to be the Best Team Ever, and they really aren't!

Written By: loki 13 on 02/04/08 at 4:09 pm

Now that I've had a day to calm down and analyze the game I can give my true assessment. I really had
no rooting interest in the game because in my own way I wanted both teams to lose. I wanted the Patriots
to lose because I can't stand their arrogance. I can understand the fans love of their swagger but for the
rest of us, it got old real quick. I wanted the Giants to lose because I'm an Eagles fan and because of the
way the Manning family thinks they're the Gods of football. Eli doesn't show the same smug attitude that
daddy and brother Manning show but he is guilty by association.

Okay, now to the game:

Belichick went for a 4th and 13 from the 31 yard line, big mistake. It would have been a 48 yard field goal try
which is no gimme but still a kick that a pro kicker should make, especially indoors. I think Belichick's arrogance
got in the way and figured he still win even if he didn't convert.

Eli Manning is still putting the ball up for grabs. In that last drive he was lucky that the Patriot defenders couldn't
catch, 3 of those passes should have been sure interceptions. Why does that goofball Coughlin insist on using
Jacobs when it's obvious it's not working, and why did the tight end see limited action? Boss was open all day
and made big plays when he was used, he just wasn't used enough.

Do all the Giant fans realize how close they came to losing in the final seconds of the game? If Randy Moss makes
any effort at all to catch the ball he'd be in the endzone. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, he made no effort
at all and allowed the ball to be deflected.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/04/08 at 5:58 pm

Methunk that throw to Moss at the end was underthrown because Brady couldn't plant his bad ankle right.

Written By: loki 13 on 02/04/08 at 6:50 pm

Methunk that throw to Moss at the end was underthrown because Brady couldn't plant his bad ankle right.

Right, it was a bit underthrown but Moss still has to make an effort. The ball hit his hands but was knocked away.
With a little effort, like ....maybe jumping.....He catches the ball. Big name players have to make big time plays in
crucial situations. Seems like he gave the Ricky Waters attitude....For Who, For What?

Check for new replies or respond here...