inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2008 cricket season

Written By: Bobo on 02/18/08 at 6:48 am

..and other stuff leading up to, and occurring around that time. That's too long a thread title to say in one breath, though, so we're stuck with this i'm afraid.

England's men are currently enjoying a small holiday in New Zealand, with three One-day matches so far. The first, on February 9, saw New Zealand win comfortably, though Durham's Phil Mustard managed to score a one-day best of 31 before being bowled by Scott Styris. The game was also Jesse Ryder's debut, he has been an extraordinary asset to Wellington over the last three seasons, having moved from Sri Lanka — and during the 2007-08 New Zealand season has picked up three one-day caps for his side.

England were stopped from scoring heavily, and the quick thinking of Brendan McCullum saw him achieve three run-outs, of Owais Shah, Paul Collingwood, and Graeme Swann. New Zealand, meanwhile, knocked off the runs they needed in super quick time, requiring nineteen fewer overs to beat us than we took to achieve the same score.

The second One-Day international took place on February 12, but ol' Duckworth-Lewis came to New Zealand's rescue, not that they needed it, as Alistair Cook was the only England batsman to achieve anything of worthy note, and New Zealand lost no wickets in their quest to get to their revised target of 165 — opener Jack Swann annihilating his previous one-day best with 79 runs from 62 balls.

While able to complain first time around that the Duckworth-Lewis method did not fall kindly for us, no such complaints could be made second time — we managed to bowl out everyone but Jacob Oram surprisingly quickly, and thanks to half-centuries in the England innings from Ian Bell and Paul Collingwood, we knocked off our 44 overs with great skill.

The rest of the schedule is as follows:

February 204th ODINew Zealandv.EnglandMcLean Park
February 235th ODINew Zealandv.EnglandAMI Stadium, Christchurch
February 25MiscellaneousOtagov.England XIUniversity Oval
February 28First-class fixtureOtagov.England XIUniversity Oval

——————

in the meantime, our women's cricket team has been rather successful — they have just retained the Ashes, albeit up against quite an inexperienced Australia line-up — four of their lower-order, Ellyse Parry, 17, Leonie Coleman, 28, Kirsten Pike, 23, and Emma Sampson, 22, made their women's Test debuts in the one Test fixture played during the Ashes series.

The women's one-day games — the first was won by England, the second by Australia, the third was abandoned, the fourth was won by England and the fifth by Australia.

——————

In other news - Bermuda make 13 all out, and lose in four balls.

Subject: Re: 2008 cricket season

Written By: Bobo on 02/19/08 at 9:00 pm

The one-day international at Napier park, England v. New Zealand:

England make 340-6, an enormous total in a 50-over one-day international, which included the fastest half-century from an Englishman in One-day cricket, Collingwood making 54 in 30 balls. New Zealand, in the meantime, are 58 without loss as I speak.

Written By: Bobo on 02/21/08 at 9:49 am

Oh my gosh. Turns out that New Zealand actually tied with England, losing one further wicket to get to their total of 340. New Zealand's innings included a total of 139 from How and a half-century from McCullum. In another one-day international, India vs. Sri Lanka, Kumar Sangakkara made 128 from a Sri Lankan total of 238, but this was beaten by the Indians in the last over, thanks to Mahendra Singh Dhoni making his half-century.

The second national team to whom I have allegiance, Namibia, handed a debut to Claude Bouwer, but they fall short of beating Nepal by three runs, after the initially promising Raymond van Schoor fell lbw in the first over.

Subject: Re: 2008 cricket season, New Zealand v England 1st Test

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/04/08 at 3:09 pm

After a rotten ODI series against New Zealand, the Test Match now start.

The team for England:

AN Cook, MP Vaughan, AJ Strauss, KP Pietersen, IR Bell, PD Collingwood, TR Ambrose, RJ Sidebottom, SJ Harmison, MJ Hoggard, MS Panesar

Interesting to see Andrew Strauss is back in the squad.

The team for New Zealand:

MD Bell, JM How, SP Fleming, MS Sinclair, LRPL Taylor, JDP Oram, BB McCullum, DL Vettori, KD Mills, JS Patel, CS Martin 

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/05/08 at 5:13 am

At the close of play the score of 282 for 6 for New Zealand, makes the game evenly poised.

Written By: Bobo on 03/05/08 at 10:52 pm

I was listening on Five Sports Extra this morning, and the current score is now 87-2. Vaughan is still not out on 44, Cook was caught out by the sub. How makes his first Test half-century in his seventh Test match. Seems unwise to make a prediction right now.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/06/08 at 1:16 am

I was listening on Five Sports Extra this morning, and the current score is now 87-2. Vaughan is still not out on 44, Cook was caught out by the sub. How makes his first Test half-century in his seventh Test match. Seems unwise to make a prediction right now.
Andrew Strauss at close of play is on 1 not out, he now has the chance to prove himself after a series of bad innings in his previous Test Matches.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/07/08 at 1:20 am

At close of play on the Second Day, England have grind their way to 286-6 on day three of the first Test, still trail New Zealand by 184 runs.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/08/08 at 4:30 pm

On the final day of play, England removed New Zealand dangerman Daniel Vettori in the sixth over of the final day of the first Test, before the hosts declared on 177-9 in Hamilton.

Vettori left England to chase 300 to win from a minimum of 81 overs.

Subject: Re: 2008 cricket season, New Zealand v England 2nd Test

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/12/08 at 10:39 am

Stuart Broad and James Anderson replace Steve Harmison and Matthew Hoggard for England's second Test in New Zealand.

England: Cook, Vaughan (capt), Strauss, Pietersen, Bell, Collingwood, Ambrose (wkt), Broad, Sidebottom, Panesar, Anderson.

New Zealand: Bell, How, Fleming, Taylor, Sinclair, Oram, McCullum (wkt), Vettori (capt), Mills, Gillespie, Martin.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/13/08 at 5:59 am

Wellington, New Zealand.At close of play day one, England 291-5 v New Zealand.

Tim Ambrose hit a superb unbeaten 97 as England recovered from a top-order collapse to post 291-5 on day one of the second Test against New Zealand.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/14/08 at 4:54 am

Second Test, Wellington, day two (close): England 342 & 4-0 v New Zealand 198

England end day two of the second Test 148 ahead of New Zealand after James Anderson takes five wickets.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/16/08 at 2:25 am

England will need four wickets on the final day to level their Test series (and to win the match) against New Zealand after reducing the Kiwis to 242-6, chasing 438.

Written By: gibbo on 03/16/08 at 2:37 am

Oh my gosh. Turns out that New Zealand actually tied with England, losing one further wicket to get to their total of 340. New Zealand's innings included a total of 139 from How and a half-century from McCullum. In another one-day international, India vs. Sri Lanka, Kumar Sangakkara made 128 from a Sri Lankan total of 238, but this was beaten by the Indians in the last over, thanks to Mahendra Singh Dhoni making his half-century.

The second national team to whom I have allegiance, Namibia, handed a debut to Claude Bouwer, but they fall short of beating Nepal by three runs, after the initially promising Raymond van Schoor fell lbw in the first over.

Must have been a small ground for such large scores...

Written By: gibbo on 03/16/08 at 2:44 am

So can England dismiss NZ to level the serious? We'll find out tomorrow morning if those plucky Kiwi's will be actually PLUCKED!!!

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/16/08 at 5:39 am

So can England dismiss NZ to level the serious? We'll find out tomorrow morning if those plucky Kiwi's will be actually PLUCKED!!!
I will and get to watch it, but other may hog the tv, so I may have to settle for Test Match Special on the radio (online)

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/17/08 at 3:34 am

England beat New Zealand by 126 runs in the second Test to level the series.

Ryan Sidebottom had Daniel Vettori caught at third slip and trapped Kyle Mills lbw early on the final day.

But Mark Gillespie and Brendon McCullum (85) frustrated the tourists by taking the score past 300, though their chances of chasing 438 were remote.

And James Anderson had Gillespie caught behind and Sidebottom, who took 5-105, caught McCullum off Monty Panesar to seal victory 30 minutes from lunch.

Written By: gibbo on 03/18/08 at 8:53 am

England beat New Zealand by 126 runs in the second Test to level the series.

Ryan Sidebottom had Daniel Vettori caught at third slip and trapped Kyle Mills lbw early on the final day.

But Mark Gillespie and Brendon McCullum (85) frustrated the tourists by taking the score past 300, though their chances of chasing 438 were remote.

And James Anderson had Gillespie caught behind and Sidebottom, who took 5-105, caught McCullum off Monty Panesar to seal victory 30 minutes from lunch.

Yay team.....a fine result, eh?

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/18/08 at 9:20 am

Yay team.....a fine result, eh?
For us, yes, but we still have one more match to play.

Subject: Re: 2008 cricket season, New Zealand v England 3rd Test

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/21/08 at 4:34 pm

New Zealand v England 3rd Test. Played at McLean Park, Napier

England won the toss and elected to bat first

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/22/08 at 3:37 am

Third Test, Napier, day one (close): England 240-7 v New Zealand

Kevin Pietersen's crucial century (129) was the highlight of an otherwise dreadful England performance on day one of the third Test decider against New Zealand.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/26/08 at 6:59 am

Monty Panesar claimed career-best figures of 6-126 as England wrapped up victory against New Zealand to seal a first away Test series win since 2005.

Written By: Bobo on 03/26/08 at 2:47 pm

Indeed, the NZ/England game was rather impressive, I was listening to it right around the end, and we pulled in an exceptional performance to win the game. Props to go to Test debutant Grant Elliott, who has finally got his first Test start over eleven years after first appearing in first-class cricket, and to Tim Southee, who similarly made his Test debut, having played just twelve first-class games — and took a five-wicket haul on his debut match.

Stuart Broad also made a Test best 42, though it took a 103 ball yawnfest of a run to do so. Highlight of the series, however, has to be the hat-trick from Ryan Sidebottom, who also made his best career analysis in the process. This is the first Test hat trick for England for nine years and two months.

Test match number 1870 has kicked off between India and South Africa at Chennai — Hashim Amla is currently not out for 85 runs.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/27/08 at 1:07 pm

Spin legend Shane Warne will not return to Hampshire and has retired from first-class cricket.

Written By: Bobo on 03/27/08 at 2:53 pm

Retired. Oh wow. Farewell Warnie, may you get that recurring guest role in Neighbours you so richly desire. Sadly retired with his career-best Test score at 99, but we can't have everything.

South Africa made 540 with Hossam Amla recording an incredible innings of 159 before being run out. Verinder Sehwag, meanwhile, has just put his half-century up, as the Indians chase their imposing target.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/27/08 at 3:33 pm

Retired. Oh wow. Farewell Warnie, may you get that recurring guest role in Neighbours you so richly desire. Sadly retired with his career-best Test score at 99, but we can't have everything.
I was hoping to see him playing this season, now bang goes the idea of it.

Written By: gibbo on 03/28/08 at 1:54 am

Warnie had a great cricketing brain....but a lousy non-cricket brain!!!  He just couldn't say no.......

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/28/08 at 2:41 am

Warnie had a great cricketing brain....but a lousy non-cricket brain!!!  He just couldn't say no.......
...and will be missed on the field.

Written By: gibbo on 03/28/08 at 2:52 am

...and will be missed on the field.

Australia cannot replace him and will have to find another way to pull a rabbit out of the hat in future.....

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/28/08 at 2:58 am

Australia cannot replace him and will have to find another way to pull a rabbit out of the hat in future.....
I am hoping that England's Monty Panesar will takeover the mantle.

Written By: gibbo on 03/28/08 at 4:01 am

I am hoping that England's Monty Panesar will takeover the mantle.

Aren't his hands too big for any hat?

Written By: Bobo on 03/31/08 at 10:33 pm

Just fifteen days to go until the start of the domestic season! Come on Sussex. Having won the County Championship as well as the Minor Counties Championship in style last year, they are surely favourites to end this season with the same sort of results. Worcestershire and Warwickshire were relegated from Division One last season, while Somerset and Nottinghamshire were promoted from Division Two, Somerset's only loss last year coming in an away fixture against Middlesex which, judging by the fact that Somerset's first innings finished 50-8 declared, and the first day was clearly a washout...

Shows good things will come to the team come this year.

Durham's success last year needs also to be commended - from seventh in 2006 to second in 2007, having only been promoted in 2005, their recent surge in form is great news for all who represent the newest cricketing county.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/01/08 at 5:42 am

Somerset's only loss last year coming in an away fixture against Middlesex which, judging by the fact that Somerset's first innings finished 50-8 declared, and the first day was clearly a washout...
I was at Lord's that day, and we are still in a state of shock over that decision by the then captain Justin Langer.

Written By: Bobo on 04/01/08 at 6:50 am

You were there at the time Philipinot? Thank you for clarification!

Sussex's first game is away against Hampshire on April 16, with the exception of an MCC match on the tenth. Worcestershire are against Warwickshire on the same day.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/01/08 at 7:14 am

You were there at the time Philipinot? Thank you for clarification!

Sussex's first game is away against Hampshire on April 16, with the exception of an MCC match on the tenth. Worcestershire are against Warwickshire on the same day.
No problem.

Oh my, the 10th is next week, so soon, I plan to be there on the Thursday.

Written By: Bobo on 04/02/08 at 1:42 pm

Upcoming Test matches - India vs. South Africa and the West Indies v. Sri Lanka. Meanwhile, in the real world, Middlesex have signed Australian left-arm fast bowler Dirk Nannes and South Africa all-rounder Vernon Philander for the forthcoming season.

Two foreigners, with the foreigner cap in place, I hear you cry? As a passport-holder of a non-Test playing country, Dutch citizen Nannes qualifies as a non-overseas player. The thirty-year-old Nannes has been playing cricket for Victoria since 2006, while Philander has played for Western Province and Cape Cobras, and has three Under-19 Tests under his belt.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/02/08 at 2:06 pm

Upcoming Test matches - India vs. South Africa and the West Indies v. Sri Lanka. Meanwhile, in the real world, Middlesex have signed Australian left-arm fast bowler Dirk Nannes and South Africa all-rounder Vernon Philander for the forthcoming season.

Two foreigners, with the foreigner cap in place, I hear you cry? As a passport-holder of a non-Test playing country, Dutch citizen Nannes qualifies as a non-overseas player. The thirty-year-old Nannes has been playing cricket for Victoria since 2006, while Philander has played for Western Province and Cape Cobras, and has three Under-19 Tests under his belt.
Dirk Nannes is news to me, and looking elsewhere he is replacing Ashley Noffke for Middlesex for the 2008 season.

Philander, 22, will join as an overseas player and will stay at Lord's until the arrival of Indian spinner Murali Kartik in June.

Written By: Bobo on 04/02/08 at 2:11 pm

I hadn't read the small print as far as Noffke was concerned - I was unaware that he was signed for only two months. That says a lot. Of course, Worcestershire had planned to get Noffke for themselves nobbut two months ago.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/02/08 at 2:13 pm

I hadn't read the small print as far as Noffke was concerned - I was unaware that he was signed for only two months. That says a lot. Of course, Worcestershire had planned to get Noffke for themselves nobbut two months ago.
I was looking forward to seeing Ashley Noffke again.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/02/08 at 2:15 pm

In the opening match for the season, MCC v Sussex at Lord's. The MCC side will be captained by Ed Joyce and the team will contain three other Middlesex players.

Written By: Bobo on 04/02/08 at 2:20 pm

Another piece of good news is Yorkshire's confirmation of the signing of Pakistani Rana Naved-al-Hasan, who played in the controversial Indian Cricket League, along with Mushy Ahmed. (As he is known to his friends. Well okay, just me.)

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/02/08 at 2:24 pm

With the ban of Pakistan's Shoaib Akhtar ruling him out of international and domestic cricket for five years, I wonder will be come over to play in England?

Written By: Bobo on 04/02/08 at 2:28 pm

It's certainly a possibility, he was over here in 2003 with Durhamshire, back in ye oldene dayse before they actually were performing well. With the team in the situation they are now, I reckon he would relish the opportunity to play here again.

Written By: Bobo on 04/03/08 at 7:19 am

South Africa bowl India out for a measly 76 runs, the tenth Test match at the Sardar Patel Stadium in Ahmedabad, meanwhile Kallis and De Villiers have put on a fifth wicket partnership of 106 and counting.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/03/08 at 7:30 am

South Africa bowl India out for a measly 76 runs, the tenth Test match at the Sardar Patel Stadium in Ahmedabad, meanwhile Kallis and De Villiers have put on a fifth wicket partnership of 106 and counting.
After India scored 627 all out and Sehwag scoring 319 (300 in 278 balls) in the First Test.

Written By: Bobo on 04/05/08 at 9:22 pm

South Africa consign India to a defeat by an innings and ninety runs, while india's innings of 76 is their second-worst against South African opposition in Tests, their worst coming in December 1996, when they put on just 66 runs in the final innings of the match — the debut test match of Adam Bacher. This is also their sixth-worst score in a completed Test innings.

In the Incontinence Cup, Dutch opener Bas Zuiderent has carried his bat right from the beginning of the order and is currently on 149 not out. Incredibly, his batting partner Ryan ten Doeschate put on 146 runs — the two batsmen together putting on 86% of the team's current score of 343 runs.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/06/08 at 3:38 am

Typical for England, the new cricket season starts next week and it snows!

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/10/08 at 3:04 pm

http://www.cricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/89200/89212.jpg

Celebrating the start of the English Cricket Season, leading cricketers and the trophies are paraded at the Abbey Road Crossing.

Written By: Bobo on 04/10/08 at 7:04 pm

The five Wisden Cricketers of the Year for 2008 have been chosen - they are Ian Bell, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Ottis Gibson, Zaheer Khan, and Ryan Sidebottom.

Written By: Bobo on 04/11/08 at 1:50 pm

First day of India v. South Africa, Test Match number 1873 at Green Park, Kanpur, South Africa finish the day 265 all out - Graeme Smith and Hashim Amla both making half-centuries.

Written By: Bobo on 04/12/08 at 1:15 pm

Close of play on the first day all around English cricket grounds. Here we go with some round-ups.

Essex v. Cambridge UCCE - Having slipped to 64-3 after the losses of Chopra, Westley and Jason Gallian, Pettini put on 153 and is still not out. Ryan ten Doeschate, meanwhile, retired out on 146. Middlebrook, meanwhile, is 46 not out. Essex hand a first-class debut to 18-year-old wicket-keeper Adam Wheater.
Derbyshire v. Durham UCCE - no play has been made possible today thanks to the rain.
MCC v. Sussex is already up to the third day - Sussex were all out for a small total of 171, but MCC were completely carried by Owais Shah, who scored 72 out of the team's 205 runs. In their second innings, so far Sussex have made 474 for five, with a half-century innings of 90 for Chris Nash soon followed by a career-best innings of 155 not out and counting for Luke Wright.
Oxford University v. Middlesex - Oxford's first innings started slowly, as they got to just 43-7, but they recovered this to a slightly more respectable-looking 126 all out. Meanwhile, Middlesex in reply are at 120-2. Meanwhile, OU have handed a first-class debut to Edward Abel, just turned 20, whose first cricketing appearances came for Hampshire Cricket Academy in 2005.
Loughborough v. Surrey - English-born Dane Johan Malcolm is on 93 not out in just his second first-class appearance. Tom Jowell and Stuart Meaker are making their first-class debuts for Surrey
Hampshire v. Cardiff UCCE - Hampshire's James Adams has survived right from the top of the order to score his century right at the end of the first day. Chris Tremlett, meanwhile, has just gotten out for a golden duck.

Written By: Bobo on 04/13/08 at 8:03 pm

Test match number 1873 finishes with a resounding win for India, by eight wickets. Shanthakumaran Sreesanth puts on his fiftieth Test wicket, and Verinder Sehwag bowls 3-12 from just 8.5 overs.

Overview of yesterday's domestic English play:

Essex v. Cambridge UCCE: Essex declared on 406-4, with Pettini finishing on 153 not out. Cambridge's first innings has started gently - Richard Timms has started well for Cambridge, while former Leicestershire Second XI man Kunal Jogia has just gotten in to bat.
Derbyshire v. Durham UCCE: Durham were put in to bat by Derbyshire, and it has probably proven to be an inspired choice - no single batsman in the Durham XI scored more than 13 runs, and the joint second-highest scorer is that omnipotent run scorer, E. Xtras. John Sadler, Nayan Doshi and Dominic Telo are making their Derbyshire debuts, Telo being the only debutant far to make a shaky start.
Oxford UCCE v. Middlesex: This game is going to be starting its third day upon its restart: Oxford quickly lose their first five wickets in their first innings, and include in their team Eddie Abel, a 20-year-old debutant. Wicket-keeper Duffell was Oxford's highest-scorer, with 37 runs to his name. Middlesex followed this up strongly with an innings total of 403-7 declared - David "Knocker" Nash finished on 100* with eight boundaries to his credit. Oxford's second innings has just started, and the team are fourteen without loss.
Surrey v. Loughborough UCCE: This game is in exactly the same place as it was yesterday, with Johan Malcolm agonizingly close to his century - the game was rained out for the day.
Hampshire v. Cardiff UCCE: Hampshire declared on 249-8, with Jimmy Adams making an agonizingly slow seven-hour century from first in the batting order, and finishing not out. Cardiff's innings has just gotten underway, and having lost opener Christopher Smith for just eight runs, the team are currently 10-1.
Kent v. Lds-Brd UCCE: Shaiiq Choudhry is starting just his second first-class match, and is currently not out. Kent's innings finished on 481-5 declared, thanks to centuries from openers Joe Denly and Rob Key.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/14/08 at 5:30 am

Overview of yesterday's domestic English play:

Oxford UCCE v. Middlesex: This game is going to be starting its third day upon its restart: Oxford quickly lose their first five wickets in their first innings, and include in their team Eddie Abel, a 20-year-old debutant. Wicket-keeper Duffell was Oxford's highest-scorer, with 37 runs to his name. Middlesex followed this up strongly with an innings total of 403-7 declared - David "Knocker" Nash finished on 100* with eight boundaries to his credit. Oxford's second innings has just started, and the team are fourteen without loss.

The Oxford UCCE v. Middlesex starts the with Oxford UCCE trailing by 263 runs with 10 wickets remaining and the wicket is wet, so play till it dries up.

Written By: Bobo on 04/14/08 at 2:20 pm

End of games all round - and all games were abandoned, the Middlesex game being abandoned and called a draw due to the rain.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/14/08 at 3:07 pm

End of games all round - and all games were abandoned, the Middlesex game being abandoned and called a draw due to the rain.
Now the County Championship is to commence on Wednesday.

Written By: Bobo on 04/14/08 at 7:08 pm

Yes indeed - before then, West Indies v. Sri Lanka and Pakistan v. Bangladesh are two one-day international matches, the former taking place today and the latter taking place tomorrow.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/15/08 at 5:11 am

Yes indeed - before then, West Indies v. Sri Lanka and Pakistan v. Bangladesh are two one-day international matches, the former taking place today and the latter taking place tomorrow.
That means live cricket on TV later on.

Written By: Bobo on 04/15/08 at 3:30 pm

Mahela Udawatte, 21, has just reached his half-century in his third one-day international.

Written By: Bobo on 04/16/08 at 11:29 am

Pakistan v. Bangladesh — 4th ODI:

While a shaky start was made all round by Bangladesh, who won the toss and decided to bat first, Shakib Al Hasan made a century from fifth in the order, lasting until the fall of the tenth wicket. His innings of 108 is his highest in one-day cricket.

Pakistan, chasing a target of 211, were boosted by the good form of Salman Butt, and as of right now need just 63 runs to claim victory.

Close of play on the first day of the season's first County Championship matches is coming up in half an hour's time, I'll be here with a report for then.

Written By: Bobo on 04/16/08 at 2:28 pm

Pakistan closed out victory by a margin of seven wickets, with half-centuries from Butt and Bazid Khan, Mohammad Yousuf finished not-out on 37.

Day 1 in the County Championship:

Robert White and Lance Klusener top-score in Northamptonshire's first innings, sixth-position Klusener finishing the day not-out on 72. Essex, who have had time to hit just three overs, are currently being led in scoring by E. Xtras. Tom Westley is coming up to bat soon for Essex, I'm quite looking forward to seeing how his performance goes.
Derbyshire crumble to 124 all out, Gloucestershire reply with half-centuries from Marcus North and Chris Taylor - this of course the other Chris Taylor, not the guy who used to be at Derbyshire. They stand at 216-6 at the close of play.
Hampshire v. Sussex: After the early loss of Carl Hopkinson, Nash and Yardy fall agonizingly near to their half-centuries, but Zimbabwean Murray Goodwin pulls a century out of the bag at exactly the right moment. Prior hit another half-century, but the last six wickets tumbled within the space of just fifteen runs. Enzedder Shane Bond took seven wickets in the first innings, which according to my records is his best single-innings analysis.
Kent v. Nottinghamshire: Despite captain Rob Key making 79 runs before being bowled out, the entire Kent team crumble to just 162 all out, Martin van Jaarsveld being one of three successive batsmen in the order getting out for a duck. Nottinghamshire have started more positively, and despite having lost three wickets, have Mark Wagh not out for 52. Of the Nottinghamshire bowlers, Pattinson secured a five-wicket haul in the first innings.
Leicestershire v. Middlesex: The away team have started this game almost perfectly, with Owais Shah reaching a century and Ed Smith his half-ton. Every bowler except one has taken a single wicket thus far in the match, with five down in the first innings.
Surrey v. Lancashire: Having won the toss, Surrey batted first, and with Ramprakash having just reached his century, Mark Butcher, too, is close to the mark. Lancashire have some work to do to salvage something from this innings.
Warwickshire v. Worcestershire: Stuart Moore carried his bat for Worcestershire, scoring a century while the rest of the team offered little in the way of huge run totals. Warwickshire's first innings has started badly, Westwood going without a run on the board. Let's see if they can pull something out.

Written By: Bobo on 04/18/08 at 7:50 am

County Championship day 2:

Essex v. Northants: Essex's first innings was still rolling on by the end of the day - with Gallian and Bopara both still going on 146* and 137* respectively. At the close of day 2, Essex were 323/2.
Gloucestershire v. Derbyshire: at the end of day two, Derbyshire's second innings was at 235/4, having just lost century-maker Chris Rogers. Right now Derbyshire have a lead of 117 though Gloucestershire are far from starting their second innings right about now.
Hampshire v. Sussex: Having gotten a whole Sussex innings down their necks on the first day, Hampshire have responded well on the second, with half-centuries from Jimmy Adams and Michael Lumb. Rain has currently halted play in this match.
Kent v. Nottinghamshire: With Kent bowled out on the first day of the match, this left Nottinghamshire the chance to do whatever they possibly could with the tools at their disposal — and that they did, with half-centuries from Wagh, Patel and Franks, and a century from Mark Ealham. Kent, trailing by 272 as we go into the second innings, have seen just Joe Denly and Martin van Jaarsveld put up any great resistance, scoring as only they have in double-figures.
Leicestershire v. Middlesex: Middlesex made a steady 312 all out, very much boosted by Shah's century, but Leicestershire started out in much the same form as Middlesex, with New, Boyce, and top-scorer Ackerman, each making sizable contribtions - two centuries and a half-century. As I speak, Henderson has just been caught out off the bowling of Udal.
Surrey v. Lancashire: Well that was a hell of a second day. With Rampers having just made his century, Butcher and Uzman Afzaal quickly followed suit, scoring 120 and 134 respectively. Surrey declared on 537-5, and so far Lancashire have been unable to produce a similar performance.
Warwickshire v. Worcestershire: Having closed out the first day looking vulnerable, Warwickshire eventually made a respectable total, though just falling short of Worcestershire's first innings of 249. Having scored just eight in the first innings, Vikram Solanki of Worcestershire is currently on 119* and counting.

Written By: Bobo on 04/19/08 at 7:21 am

ODI 2703 is being played in Karachi - Pakistan v. Bangladesh - and Pakistan's innings has started well - with opener Salman Butt having just reached his century.

County Championship:

Essex v. Northamptonshire: attempting to avoid an innings defeat, Northamptonshire trail by 76 runs, with just four wickets remaining.
Gloucestershire v. Derbyshire: Set 172 to win, Gloucestershire are currently at 27-1 in the second innings.
Hampshire v. Sussex: Hampshire have nearly overturned the first-innings deficit, but currently the match is being delayed due to rain.
Kent v. Nottinghamshire: With Azhar Mahmood carrying the Kent second innings with a terrific century, it's unfortunate that the rest of the team has proven unable to match his form, with the exception of opener Martin van Jaarsveld. Nottinghamshire needed just five overs to close out the match.
Leicestershire v. Middlesex: Day four of the match, and so far, Middlesex's second innings is going well - it's just a shame that Leicestershire's first innings was comparatively stronger. At least Middlesex's lower order are putting up considerable resistance.
Surrey v. Lancashire: After a first innings such as Surrey's, with three century-makers, it's possible that if they can bowl out Lancashire within the next 96 runs that they can enforce the follow-on. Luke Sutton has just come into bat for Lancashire.
Warwickshire v. Worcestershire: Following Solanki's century, Graeme Hick went and did the same, before being caught on 101. With a target of 482 runs to save the game, Warwickshire are struggling, currently at 91-6.

Written By: Bobo on 04/19/08 at 6:13 pm

Indeed, ODI 2703 has finished, Butt and Khan performing best for Pakistan, Butt passing his ODI best of 132 by four clear runs.

Needless to say Pakistan came out on top - by 150 runs.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/20/08 at 4:39 am

I have to remark here that the weather is so un-spring like, with overcasted skies with a bitter chill to the air.

Written By: Bobo on 04/20/08 at 3:56 pm

We have the end to all our matches:

Division One:

Hampshire v. Sussex: Match drawn
Kent v. Nottinghamshire: Nottinghamshire won by ten wickets.
Surrey v. Lancashire: Match drawn

Essex v. Northamptonshire: Essex won by nine wickets.
Gloucestershire v. Derbyshire: Match drawn.
Leicestershire v. Middlesex: Leicestershire won by six wickets.
Warwickshire v. Worcestershire: Match drawn

I apologize for no further information than this at present, Phil, but i'm very tired. :D I'll get it done in the morning unless you've looked at the results before then.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/21/08 at 5:22 am

Sunday April 20th 2008

First round of matches for Friends Provident Trophy

Lancashire v Derbyshire: No result
Leicestershire v Northants: No result
Durham v Yorkshire: Durham won by 5 runs
Gloucestershire v Worcestershire: Gloucestershire won by 7 wickets
Kent v Essex: Essex won by 31 runs
Somerset v Hampshire: Somerset won by 6 wickets
Surrey v Middlesex: Middlesex won by 58 runs (D/L)
Warwickshire v Nottinghamshire: No result

Written By: Bobo on 04/21/08 at 6:11 am

indeed, Phil, a great round of matches, and a good result for your boys — finally a reason to love Duckworth/Lewis for a change! The Middlesex match featured List A debuts for South African Gareth Kyle Berg, and 20 year old Danny Evans. Straussy meanwhile put on a List A best of 163.

Essex also performed well — with Mark Pettini too scoring a limited overs' best of 119 and Ravi Bopara finishing agonizingly close to his century before being caught out on 99. Highest score of the match fell to Kent's Martin van Jaarsveld.

Lancashire and Leicestershire, as you say, no game played, but sadly the match was abandoned at Edgbaston too, meaning no play between Warwickshire and Nottinghamshire.

Written By: Bobo on 04/24/08 at 7:03 am

Yesterday started a whole bunch of County Championship matches - I was too unwell to report on them unfortunately, but here we go:

Durham v. Surrey - second day of the game, Mark Stoneman and captain Dale Benkenstein are currently both on their half-centuries.  However, with their other batsmen failing to perform, they are relying on their middle order to do well in order to post a decent total.
Somerset v. Lancashire - again into the second day of the match - Tresco was able to put up a decent total before being caught out, but the only other Somerset batsman to even come close to matching his innings was Ian Blackwell - who, with just a single Test cap to his name, can claim a debut first-class wicket of none other than Shane Warne.
Sussex v. Kent - having reached 217-7 in their first innings, Sussex's second day has sadly been delayed due to the presence of the rain. Matt Prior is currently in to bat, and has reached his half-century. The unfortunately-named Yasir Arafat, one of two bowlers Kent have used so far, is on four wickets so far.
Yorkshire v. Hampshire - After a shaky start, number four Jacques Rudolph and number five Andrew Gale hit two great innings, the former reaching his half-century and the latter his century. Gale still hangs in there on 114 not out.
Derbyshire v. Essex - game delayed, due to start in half an hour's time — although Cricinfo say it's going to be at 12:15AM, not pm, GMT.
Middlesex v. Glamorgan - with the exception of Owais Shah, who disappeared for a duck, Middlesex have made a strong start, with David Nash reaching his half-century. Gareth Berg, making his Middlesex debut, is currently at the crease, and performing well.
Northamptonshire v. Warwickshire - putting themselves in to bat, Northamptonshire are reaching the end of their first innings, having made a positive contribution all round - Lance Klusener making a half-century and Nico Boje having reached the hundred mark.
Worcestershire v. Lancashire - Eighteen year old James Taylor is making his first-class debut for Lancashire, having previously played Minor Counties cricket for Shropshire. However, with Worcestershire batting first, he is yet to make any contribution to the match, which has started with Solanki and Steve Davies each scoring half-centuries. Gareth Batty, meanwhile, was out second ball, having hit his first for a stonking four.

That's all for now. Match reviews coming intermittently.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/25/08 at 2:27 pm

Just to report I was at Lord's today for the Middlesex v. Glamorgan match, but the main interest today was the New Zelanders practicing at the Nursery Ground before the start of the 2008 Test Series. The main players like Daniel Vettori, Jacob Oram and Scott Styris have still yet to arrive, due to the IPL.

Players at the pracice session:

Brendon McCullum
Daniel Flynn 
Mark Gillespie
Gareth Hopkins (wk) 
Jamie How
James Marshall 
Michael Mason
Kyle Mills 
Jeetan Patel 
Jesse Ryder
Tim Southee 
Ross Taylor

Evidence:

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm66/Phil_O-Sopher/NewZealandLords2008002.jpg

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm66/Phil_O-Sopher/NewZealandLords2008001.jpg

Written By: Bobo on 04/25/08 at 7:18 pm

I'll report on the latest matches at the end of today - all games started on April 23 and are due to finish later.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/28/08 at 10:09 am

Harbhajan given long ban for slap

Spinner Harbhajan Singh has been handed an 11-match ban in the Indian Premier League after pleading guilty to slapping fellow India star Sree Santh.

The suspension will end his involvement in the competition unless his team, Mumbai Indians, reach the semi-finals.

Harbhajan, 27, will also lose his match fees for the whole tournament after the incident in a game last Friday between Mumbai and Santh's Kings XI Punjab.

TV cameras failed to capture it but paceman Santh was seen crying.

Harbhajan expressed regret over the altercation during a 45-minute hearing chaired by match referee Farokh Engineer.

"Whatever happened and whatever I did was grossly wrong," he said afterwards.

Written By: Bobo on 04/28/08 at 12:07 pm

Games from April 23-26:

Durham v. Surrey: Durham's Mark Stoneman and Dale Benkenstein made half-centuries in the first innings, Surrey replied with a half-century from their captain, Mark Butcher. Durham's openers put in a strong start to the second innings, but crumbled in the tailend, while Surrey, chasing 270, finished on 83-4 to finish the game in a draw.
Lancashire v. Somerset: With Somerset batting first, opener Tresco makes a half-century, with Blackwell achieving the same from fifth in the batting order. However, most of the rest of the order are unable to keep up with this kind of run-scoring, making 238 all out. Lancashire also get a half-century from their opener Paul Horton. Their second-highest scorer, from seventh in the order, is wicket-keeper Luke Sutton. Somerset's second innings finished with them declaring on 262-8 with two half-century makers. Chappel took four wickets with the ball in the Somerset second innings and the match finished in a draw.
Sussex v. Kent: Sussex's first innings was highlighted by an excellent century from wicket-keeper Prior, the team recovered from 107-5 to finish on 303 all out. Kent responded with 40 from Tredwell and 51* from Geraint Jones, Mushy Ahmed picking up a five-wicket haul. Sussex's second innings saw Prior and Wright score half-centuries, and the team finish on 237 all out, setting Kent a total of 337 to win. However, time ran out on the final day, with Martin van Jaarsveld on 82 not out.
Yorkshire v. Hampshire: Hampshire, winning the toss and deciding to field, immediately regretted that decision, Yorkshire's middle order of Rudolph, Gale, and Brophy performing well, Gale scoring 138 before being bowled out. Hampshire responded weakly, finishing their innings on 159 all out, 239 runs behind Yorkshire. Yorkshire enforced the follow on, and although Hampshire opener Michael Brown scored a strong half-century, they still managed to lose by a margin of an innings and twenty-seven runs.
Onto Division two, and we start with Derbyshire v. Essex: Essex's first innings was spearheaded by Bopara's innings of 137, with new Derbyshire boys Tom Lungley and Jonathan Clare, contracted for his first full season at the club, taking three wickets each. With Essex all out in their first innings for 270, Derbyshire needed to respond well, and they finished their first innings just 31 runs behind. In an act of what I can only assume was insanity, Essex declared on 234-2, with Westley not out on 93. Derbyshire, requiring 266, saw their first two batsmen score half-centuries, and in 59.4 overs, they reached their desired target.
Middlesex v. Glamorgan: In what we both know is the only actually important match in Division Two, Middlesex top-scored with Nash's innings of 96, finishing their first innings on 308. Glamorgan replied with half-centuries from Powell and Jamie Dalrymple, and from 194-6, finished on 300 all out, a mere eight runs behind. Middlesex's second innings saw Andrew Strauss agonizingly close to his half-century, while captain Ed Joyce top-scored with 86. Wicket-keeper Nash finished on 63 not out, Gareth Kyle Berg, on his debut, scored 33 and 19.
Northamptonshire v. Warwickshire: Northamptonshire, batting first, saw Lance Klusener score 50 and Nico Boje get to 105 before being caught out. Zondeki finished the Warwickshire first innings with a bowling analysis of 4-125. Warwickshire's Ian Bell scored 43, Ian Salisbury 54 and Neil Carter 47 were the highest scorers in the first innings. Leading by 142 runs, Northamptonshire got to 240-7 in their second innings, with Peters and Kepler Wessels scoring half-centuries. Having been set a target of 383 in their second innings, Darren Maddy helped them along the way, with a half-century, backed up by Ian Bell and Jonathan Trott. Warwickshire's middle order were steady, if unspectacular, and Salisbury and Zondeki helped Warwickshire on their way to a two-wicket victory.
Worcestershire v. Leicestershire: Our final match to review. Solanki and Simon Davies finished with half-centuries and Ben Smith agonizingly close, as Leicestershire won the toss and decided to field. However, Worcestershire's bowlers were in good form, Kabir Ali taking four wickets to leave Leicestershire 107 runs behind, heading into Worcestershire's second innings. For which it must be said, no single batsman particularly underperformed, with the exception of Stephen Moore. Worcestershire declared on 174-4, leaving Leicestershire requiring 282 to win - a target which was never realistically going to be reached, as the match petered out into a draw with just one wicket fallen.

Written By: Bobo on 05/01/08 at 8:53 am

Fox stops play!

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/01/08 at 10:11 am

Fox stops play!
...at Leicestershire ?

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/03/08 at 6:35 am

In the Sussex v Surrey match at County Ground, Hove. Mark Ramprakash has scored his 99th First Class Century, and as today is the last day of this fixture, Mark Ramprakash will now have to wait to the next fixture at The Rose Bowl, Southampton against Hampshire for his 100th Century in his career.

Written By: Bobo on 05/07/08 at 9:16 pm

Current County cricket.. stuff.

Lancashire v. Durham: Lancashire were bowled out for 143, Mal Loye top-scoring with 39. Mark Davies took seven wickets for Durham in the Lancashire first innings. Durham reply and at the end of yesterday had just gotten out, with 114 on the board.
Nottinghamshire v. Kent: Nottinghamshire bat first, Adam Voge top-scores with 43, innings finishes at 202. Kent are currently struggling, at 33-4, run-leader at the moment is E. Xtras.
Somerset v. Hampshire: Is this a day for low scores, or what? Somerset are bowled out for 126, Kieswetter and Phillips top-score, James Tomlinson takes an incredible 8-46 in the first innings. Hampshire reply with John Crawley making 78* amd counting, and Kevin Pietersen hitting an even 100 before being caught out.
Derbyshire v. Warwickshire: New signings Jon Clare and Tom Lungley top-score with 66 and 50 respectively. Warwickshire, with little time to make much impact, finish the day at 14 without loss.
Essex v. Middlesex: Finally, and possibly most importantly, this game appears to be going fine for Middlesex. After Essex chose to field having won the toss, Andrew Strauss and Ed Joyce have put in great at-bats, scoring 88 and 66 respectively. James Middlebrook has taken five wickets in the Middlesex innings.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/09/08 at 6:08 am

Current County cricket.. stuff.

Lancashire v. Durham: Lancashire were bowled out for 143, Mal Loye top-scoring with 39. Mark Davies took seven wickets for Durham in the Lancashire first innings. Durham reply and at the end of yesterday had just gotten out, with 114 on the board.

Andrew Flintoff's confidence with the bat took another blow when he bagged a second duck in Lancashire's Championship game against Durham.

Written By: Bobo on 05/09/08 at 9:37 am

That said, Freddie did pick up a great seven wickets in the game — four in the first innings and three in the second. Quite a contrasting performance, indeed.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/09/08 at 9:41 am

That said, Freddie did pick up a great seven wickets in the game — four in the first innings and three in the second. Quite a contrasting performance, indeed.
...but is he ready to play for England again. My opinion is that to ready for Test Cricket he should play the New Zealand Tests, so that he can be match perfect for the big test series against South Africa.

Written By: Bobo on 05/17/08 at 11:55 am

it's been a while since I went anywhere near updating this thread, which I have to partially blame on the building up of my cricketing literature and whatnot.

Reviews of the May 7th games:

Essex v. Middlesex: Essex won by two wickets.
Top scorers: Andrew Strauss (Middlesex): 88 Christopher Wright (Essex): 71*

What is quite special is that Wright was only batting from number ten in the order. Evans hit 6/35, which is his best single-innings analysis.

----

Derbyshire v. Warwickshire: Match drawn.
Top scorers: ian Trott (Warwickshire): 104 Freddie Klokker (Derbyshire): 103

Tom Lungley hit a career-best 50 before being trapped LBW.

----

Lancashire v. Durham: Lancashire won by 232 runs.
Top scorers: Paul Horton (Lancashire): 108 Mo Yousuf (Lancashire): 40 Mitchell Claydon (Durham): 40

Seven wickets in the first innings for Mark Davies.

----

Nottinghamshire v. Kent: Kent won by three wickets.
Top scorers: Chris Read (Notts): 88 Yasir Arafat (Kent): 67

----

Somerset v. Hampshire: Match drawn
Top scorers: Justin Langer (Somerset): 188 Marcus Trescothick (Somerset): 151
Including a second-wicket partnership of 272. Hamza Riazuddin made his first-class debut in this match.

Subject: Re: 2008 cricket season, England v New Zealand 1st Test (Lords)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/17/08 at 2:29 pm

Day Three
Almost constant drizzle on day three of the Lord's Test left England frustrated as they were denied the chance to gain a stranglehold over New Zealand.

Play was confined to a 40-minute spell in the morning session, as England reached 89-0 with more composed batting from Alastair Cook and Andrew Strauss.

They were replying to New Zealand's 277 and will struggle to force a result now with only two days remaining.

Written By: Bobo on 05/20/08 at 12:19 pm

Forgot to leave reviews of May 14th games, so here we go, then we'll be all up-to-date.

Division One:

Durham v. Yorkshire: Durham win by 295 runs.
Top scorers: Di Venuto (Durham): 184
First class debut to BW Sanderson.

Hampshire v. Surrey: Match drawn
Top scorers: Michael Brown (Hampshire): 94
Tremlett takes 5-67 in the Surrey first innings.

Nottinghamshire v. Lancashire: Nottinghamshire win by 7 wickets
Top scorers: Samit Patel (Nottinghamshire): 74
Shreck takes 5-40 in the Lancashire second innings.

Somerset v. Sussex: Match drawn
Somerset force the follow-on but can't close out the match.
Top scorers: James Hildreth (158) Murray Goodwin (106)

Division Two:

Leicestershire v. Nottinghamshire: Match drawn
Top scorers: Jacques du Toit (Leicestershire) (103)
Best figures in the match in which only a single innings was possible for both sides: 4-120 by Nico Boje.

Glamorgan v. Derbyshire: Match drawn
Top scorers: Gareth Rees (Glamorgan) (104) David Hemp (Glamorgan) (104)

Worcestershire v. Gloucestershire: Match drawn
Top scorers: Chris Taylor (Gloucestershire) (137) Steve Snell (Gloucestershire) (127)
Sixth wicket partnership of 222 from the two top-scorers.

Friends Provident Trophy:

May 16: Ireland v. Warwickshire: Ireland win by four wickets.
May 16: Essex v. Kent: Kent win by 106 runs
May 18: Ireland v. Leicestershire: Leicestershire win by 81 runs
May 18: Scotland v. Yorkshire: Yorkshire win by 7 wickets
May 18: Durham v. Lancashire: Durham win by 6 runs
May 18: Essex v. Middlesex: Essex win by 8 wickets
May 18: Glamorgan v. Hampshire: Hampshire win by 4 wickets
May 18: Kent v. Surrey: Kent win by 17 runs
May 18: Nottinghamshire v. Warwickshire: Warwickshire win by 52 runs
May 18: Somerset v. Worcestershire: Somerset win by 84 runs

May 20-24 cricket fixtures:

May 20: Hampshire v. Worcestershire - FP Trophy
May 20: Nottinghamshire v. Sussex - CC D1
May 21: Essex v. Leicestershire - CC D2
May 21: Glamorgan v. Northamptonshire - CC D2
May 21: Kent v. Somerset - CC D1
May 21: Surrey v. Yorkshire - CC D1
May 21: Warwickshire v. Middlesex - CC D2
May 22: Derbyshire v. Lancashire - FP Trophy
May 22: West Indies v. Australia - 1st Test
May 23: England v. New Zealand - 2nd Test

That'll take us up to May 26, when there are going to be several games in the FP Trophy.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/20/08 at 12:40 pm

In the Hampshire v Surrey match last week, Mark Ramprakash failed to make his 100th century and his to now try for it in the Surrey v. Yorkshire match starting tomorrow.

Written By: Bobo on 05/20/08 at 12:45 pm

More importantly, the Hampshire v. Surrey match included Rampers' 666th first-class inning. Muahaha.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/20/08 at 12:50 pm

More importantly, the Hampshire v. Surrey match included Rampers' 666th first-class inning. Muahaha.
A devil of a match for him. Interesting to note that in the same match the highest scorer was Michael Brown, like Mark Ramprakash, is an ex-Middlesex player.

Written By: Bobo on 05/20/08 at 12:53 pm

And what were the scores of the two opening batsmen in Hampshire's first innings? 6 and 66. Oh, the coincidence!

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/20/08 at 12:54 pm

And what were the scores of the two opening batsmen in Hampshire's first innings? 6 and 66. Oh, the coincidence!
We could find more.

This is what I like about cricket, the stats and the info that can be gleaned there of.

Written By: Bobo on 05/20/08 at 1:02 pm

Ormond scored a first-class best in the second innings of the game, having scored a duck in the first. Meanwhile Hampshire are chasing Worcestershire's 201 in the FP Trophy.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/20/08 at 1:09 pm

Ormond scored a first-class best in the second innings of the game, having scored a duck in the first. Meanwhile Hampshire are chasing Worcestershire's 201 in the FP Trophy.

It is live on SkySports, I should be watching it, but I have things to do here.

Written By: Bobo on 05/20/08 at 1:12 pm

Cricket is the only reason that I'm bummed I don't have the whole Sky package. Nothing, however, beats one of the Australian networks, which used to have a cute picture of a dancing duck every time a player scored 0 runs in an innings.

I've got the scorecard up live on Cricinfo. Things seem to be going down da' tubes. We'll see what Ervine can do.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/20/08 at 1:30 pm

I've got the scorecard up live on Cricinfo. Things seem to be going down da' tubes. We'll see what Ervine can do.
No worries, Mascarenhas has yet to come in and bat.

Written By: Bobo on 05/20/08 at 1:32 pm

Well okay. Ervine was fried. Riazuddin is coming up to play in just his second game very soon.

(Fried = caught & bowled, as in CB Fry. Clever huh?)

Written By: Bobo on 05/21/08 at 12:48 pm

The FP Trophy match between Hampshire and Worcestershire finished in a Hampshire victory by four wickets.

Surrey are still going well against Yorkshire, the partnership between Butcher and Nicholson has just passed 200.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/22/08 at 2:29 am

The FP Trophy match between Hampshire and Worcestershire finished in a Hampshire victory by four wickets.

Surrey are still going well against Yorkshire, the partnership between Butcher and Nicholson has just passed 200.
With Mark Ramprakash failing to a century by being out on 29. With Surrey on 396/5 at close of play and building a prospective good first innings score, Yorkshire may have to follow on and avoid an innings defeat, thus denying Ramprakash another chance of a century.

Written By: Bobo on 05/22/08 at 6:27 am

Test number two starts tomorrow between England and New Zealand, with Daniel Flynn looking to pick up his second Test appearance, having impressed with an unbeaten knock of 29 in his first. Southee, meanwhile, has a stomach virus, and is likely to miss the game. And our umpire? Darrell Hair - in his first Test umpirage for 20 months.

Written By: Bobo on 05/22/08 at 9:12 pm

Meanwhile, Australia v. West Indies continues to go well, Jaggernauth has picked up a wicket on his Test debut - however captain Ricky Ponting got out having hit 158.

Written By: Bobo on 05/26/08 at 1:06 pm

Meanwhile, the latest round of Friends Provident Trophy matches took place today - results as follows:

Durham v. Derbyshire - Durham won by 117 runs
Top scorers: Di Venuto (Durham) (138)

Leicestershire v. Warwickshire - Warwickshire won by 8 wickets (D/L)
Top scorers: Tony Frost (Warwickshire) (55)

Nottinghamshire v. Ireland - Nottinghamshire won by 1 run
Top scorers: Adam Voges (Nottinghamshire) (82) Samit Patel (Nottinghamshire) (75)

Yorkshire v. Scotland - Yorkshire won by 7 wickets
Top scorers: Anthony McGrath (Yorkshire) (105) Jacques Rudolph (Yorkshire) (82)
Hampshire v. Glamorgan - Match abandoned
Kent v. Middlesex - Match abandoned
Somerset v. Gloucestershire - Match abandoned
Sussex v. Essex - Match abandoned

Written By: Bobo on 05/27/08 at 4:49 am

Needless to say we won the game yesterday - finishing victorious by a six-wicket margin.

Written By: Bobo on 05/28/08 at 1:23 pm

Today's cricket happenings:

Scotland v. Derbyshire: Abandoned
Ireland v. Northamptonshire: Northamptonshire win by 99 runs
Yorkshire v. Lancashire: No result
Glamorgan v. Somerset: Abandoned
Middlesex v. Essex: Middlesex win by 8 wickets
Surrey v. Sussex: No result
Worcestershire v. Gloucestershire: Abandoned

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/28/08 at 2:46 pm

Today's cricket happenings:

Scotland v. Derbyshire: Abandoned
Ireland v. Northamptonshire: Northamptonshire win by 99 runs
Yorkshire v. Lancashire: No result
Glamorgan v. Somerset: Abandoned
Middlesex v. Essex: Middlesex win by 8 wickets
Surrey v. Sussex: No result
Worcestershire v. Gloucestershire: Abandoned

Typical for Middlesex, we win a game when we cannot qualify for the next round!

Written By: Bobo on 06/01/08 at 8:00 pm

The Rajasthan Royals, captained by Shane Warne, win the inaugural Indian Premier League tournament, beating the Chennai Super Kings by a three-wicket margin. More information here.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/02/08 at 2:31 am

My plan today is to be at Lord's, but it looks like rain!

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/02/08 at 12:58 pm

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm66/Phil_O-Sopher/LordsCricketGround001.jpg

The state of Lord's Cricket Ground at the time of my leaving during the tea interval. The pitch and surrounding areas were cover due to the rain. The teams did get to be on the field to continue the match and Middlesex went on to win the match by 6 wickets.

Written By: Bobo on 06/02/08 at 1:44 pm

Indeedy. Let's review the latest matches:

Sussex v. Durham - Durham win by 7 wickets
Top scorers: MJ Prior (Sussex) (133)

Hampshire v. Kent - Match drawn
Top scorers: van Jaarsveld (Hampshire) (133) Darren Stephens (Hampshire) (127)

Surrey v. Somerset - Somerset win by 8 wickets
Top scorers: Ian Blackwell (Somerset) (158) Justin Langer (Somerset) (112)

Yorkshire v. Lancashire - Match drawn
Top scorers: Mohammad Yousuf (Lancashire) (205) Paul Horton (Lancashire) (152)

Leicestershire v. Glamorgan - Leicestershire win by an innings and 16 runs
Top scorers: Hylton Ackerman (Leicestershire) (164) David Harrison (Glamorgan) (64)
Harrison's 64 came despite him being 11th in the order - their last-wicket partnership of 94 was over half of their innings total

Worcestershire v. Essex - Worcestershire win by 75 runs
Top scorers: Ravi Bopara (Essex) (85) Ben Smith (Worcestershire) (71)

Gloucestershire v. Warwickshire - Match drawn
Top scorers: Tony Frost (Gloucestershire) (144*)  Chris Taylor (Warwickshire) (104)
Frost's 144 was a career-best total.

Middlesex v. Derbyshire - Middlesex win by 6 wickets
Top scorers: Owais Shah (Middlesex) (86) Ed Smith (Middlesex) (74)

On a slight sidenote, it's nice to see that in spite of a first-innings duck, Jonathan Clare was able to bounce back to score a half-century in the second innings. Even if it was against your team, Phil!

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/02/08 at 1:53 pm

Indeedy. Let's review the latest matches:

Sussex v. Durham - Durham win by 7 wickets
Top scorers: MJ Prior (Sussex) (133)

Hampshire v. Kent - Match drawn
Top scorers: van Jaarsveld (Hampshire) (133) Darren Stephens (Hampshire) (127)

Surrey v. Somerset - Somerset win by 8 wickets
Top scorers: Ian Blackwell (Somerset) (158) Justin Langer (Somerset) (112)

Yorkshire v. Lancashire - Match drawn
Top scorers: Mohammad Yousuf (Lancashire) (205) Paul Horton (Lancashire) (152)

Leicestershire v. Glamorgan - Leicestershire win by an innings and 16 runs
Top scorers: Hylton Ackerman (Leicestershire) (164) David Harrison (Glamorgan) (64)

Harrison's 64 came despite him being 11th in the order - their last-wicket partnership of 94 was over half of their innings total

Worcestershire v. Essex - Worcestershire win by 75 runs
Top scorers: Ravi Bopara (Essex) (85) Ben Smith (Worcestershire) (71)

Gloucestershire v. Warwickshire - Match drawn
Top scorers: Tony Frost (Gloucestershire) (144*)  Chris Taylor (Warwickshire) (104)
Frost's 144 was a career-best total.

Middlesex v. Derbyshire - Middlesex win by 6 wickets
Top scorers: Owais Shah (Middlesex) (86) Ed Smith (Middlesex) (74)

On a slight sidenote, it's nice to see that in spite of a first-innings duck, Jonathan Clare was able to bounce back to score a half-century in the second innings. Even if it was against your team, Phil!
I saw Jonathan Clare bowling for Derbyshire, to to no avail.

...and once again Mark Ramprakash failed to attain what would be his hundredth 100.

Written By: Bobo on 06/04/08 at 1:09 pm

Before I present all the information on today's matches, I should note that today's fixture between Kent and Somerset is to be played tomorrow.

I should also point to this, an incredibly scathing article from Cricinfo concerning the late Hansie Cronje. Yes a correct opinion, but the strength of belief in the writing is quite, quite extraordinary.

Written By: Bobo on 06/04/08 at 11:08 pm

It would help if I actually profiled yesterday's matches...

Durham v. Nottinghamshire - Durham won by 1 wicket
Top scorers: Samit Patel (Nottinghamshire) (114) Michael DiVenuto (Durham) (70)

Gloucestershire v. Yorkshire - Yorkshire won by 6 wickets
Top scorers: Stephen Adshead (Glocuestershire) (71) Craig White (Yorkshire) (55)

Leicestershire v. Essex - Essex won by 118 runs
Top scorers: Ravi Bopara (Essex) (201*) Paul Nixon (Leicestershire) (62)
Bopara finished the innings with exactly 100 runs more than his previous List A best.

Today sees Kent and Somerset face off - while the England v. New Zealand Test kicks off at Trentbridge at 11am. Tremlett is still in the squad, with Hoggard still out with a crocked thumb.

Written By: Bobo on 06/05/08 at 11:49 am

I forgot to mention that Bopara's innings of 201 not out was the highest score by an Essex batsman in one-day cricket, breaking Gooch's record of 198 against Sussex in 1982. It is also only the eighth double-century in one-day cricket, five of which have occurred in England.

Written By: Bobo on 06/06/08 at 11:50 pm

Historical tangent:

We shall see if James Anderson can improve on six wickets from six in the New Zealand innings so far. Note that this is already his best Test analysis, having taken (only!) five wickets in an innings on four occasions up to now. As a ridiculously inspecific benchmark, there have been 68 instances of eight-wicket hauls in a Test innings, the earliest coming in the 1886/87 season courtesy of George Lohmann.

Lohmann also once took an incredible 9-68 innings in 1896, despite taking the first eight of those nine wickets for just SEVEN runs. Anyway - I'm rambling. Today may be pretty historic.

Whispers to self: That'll put the kibosh on it, for sure!

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/07/08 at 12:46 am

I forgot to mention that Bopara's innings of 201 not out was the highest score by an Essex batsman in one-day cricket, breaking Gooch's record of 198 against Sussex in 1982. It is also only the eighth double-century in one-day cricket, five of which have occurred in England.
In the Middlesex v Essex at Lord's, the in-form Ravi Bopara top-scored for the visitors, but his 43 off 85 balls failed to spare Essex's blushes.

A six-wicket haul for Middlesex's Tim Murtagh saw Essex bowled out for just 161 on the first day of their Division Two match at an overcast Lord's.

Murtagh claimed figures of 6-44 from his 16.2 overs as Essex lost their last seven wickets for 30 runs in 72 balls.

Written By: Bobo on 06/09/08 at 10:15 am

The fixture that finished yesterday was Derbyshire v. Worcestershire, which Derbyshire won by an innings and 95 runs, mostly thanks to a first-innings century from Pipe, and a second-inning collapse by Worcestershire. I'll report on the other matches at the end of today's play.

Written By: Bobo on 06/09/08 at 1:34 pm

Durham v. Hampshire - Hampshire win by 4 runs
Top scorers: Michael Carberry (Hampshire) (78) Dimi Mascarenhas (Hampshire) (74)
Hampshire narrowly stave off defeat despite Durham having an impressive last-wicket partnership of 57 runs.

Kent v. Sussex - Match drawn
Top scorers: James Kemp (Kent) (102) Carl Hopkinson (Sussex) (69)

Lancashire v. Nottinghamshire - Match drawn
Top scorers: Steve Croft (Lancashire) (122) Mark Wagh (Nottinghamshire) (94)

Somerset v. Yorkshire - Yorkshire win by 40 runs
Top scorers: Jacques Rudolph (Yorkshire) (155) Zander de Bruyn (Somerset) (103)
Having made the highest score of the match in the first innings, Rudolph is trapped for a three-ball duck in the second

Derbyshire v. Worcestershire - Derbyshire win by an innings and 95 runs
Top scorers: James Pipe (Derbyshire) (133) Graham Wagg (Derbyshire) (56)

Glamorgan v. Warwickshire - Warwickshire win by 5 wickets
Top scorers: Ian Westwood (Warwickshire) (176) Gareth Rees (Glamorgan) (77)
Westwood finishes an agonizing two runs away from a career-best first-class total, which he achieved two seasons ago against a West Indian A team

Middlesex v. Essex - Middlesex win by an innings and 38 runs
Top scorers: Owais Shah (Middlesex) (144) Eoin Morgan (Middlesex) (96)
Northamptonshire v. Gloucestershire - Northamptonshire win by 6 wickets
Top scorers: Robert White (Northamptonshire) (132) Stephen Peters (Northamptonshire) (122)

Of course, we've just seen the end of the Test between England and New Zealand, an emphatic victory for the home side, with Broad scoring his maiden half-century and Pieterson scoring 115, Daniel Flynn for the New Zealanders also scored a Test best, though he has merely three matches under his belt. Performance and (in the same sense) anti-climax of the day has to go to James Anderson, who hit the first seven wickets in the New Zealand innings, at which point I honestly thought he was set to join Laker and Kumble as the two best Test bowling performances of all time. Of course Laker finished off the match with incredible figures of 19-90 - while Kumble finished with 14-149.

Written By: Bobo on 06/11/08 at 11:01 pm

While my mind is focused on such things, here is a slice from the archives!

Teenagers eclipse Tendulkar-Kambli record

November 16, 2006 - St. Peters High School finish 721 for 0 after just forty overs, eclipsing Tendulkar and Kambli's record from 1987-88. Manoj Kumar and Mohammad Shaibaz, hit 320 from 120 balls and 324 from 116 balls respectively in the Hyderabad Cricket Association Inter-School Under-13 tournament.

Opponents St. Phillips' High School do similarly as poorly with the bat, with the opposing bowler picking up figures of 7-11 and finishing all out for 21.

Written By: Bobo on 06/12/08 at 8:56 pm

Another interesting aside:

The latest edition of Ask Bearders, the regular column on the BBC's website, includes a rather extreme case of the "Retired hurt" rule, in which a competitor in a minor cricket match collapsed and died of a heart attack while batting.

Slightly macabre, but an interesting occurrence nevertheless.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/13/08 at 2:41 am

Since the Middlesex County Cricket Club Members handed in a petition for the lack of confidence in the committee, the club has won four matches, a complete turn around from the start of the season. May be the petition should had been handed in at the start of the season, when we had our losing streak.

Written By: Bobo on 06/13/08 at 8:29 pm

Results from June 12:

Middlesex v. Essex
Middlesex win by seven wickets
Top scorers: Eoin Morgan (Middlesex) (47) James Middlebrook (Essex) (46)

Yorkshire v. Derbyshire
Derbyshire win by 47 runs
Top scorers: Greg Smith (Derbyshire) (100) Wavell Hinds (Derbyshire) (61)

Worcestershire v. Gloucestershire
Worcestershire win by 9 wickets
Top scores: Graham Hick (Worcestershire) (88) Vikram Solanki (Worcestershire) (51)

Results from June 13:

Gloucestershire v. Warwickshire
Match tied
Top scorers: Tony Frost (Warwickshire) (53) Hamish Marshall (Gloucestershire) (46)

Leicestershire v. Durham
Durham win by 6 wickets
Top scorers: Dale Benkenstein (Durham) (48) Boeta Dippenaar (Leicestershire) (47)

Northamptonshire v. Worcestershire
Northamptonshire win by 33 runs
Top scorers: Andrew Hall (Northamptonshire) (66) Ben Smith (Worcestershire) (46)

Surrey v. Kent
Kent win by 13 runs
Top scorers: Joe Denly (Kent) (52) Scott Newman (Surrey) (48)

Yorkshire v. Nottinghamshire
Nottinghamshire win by 4 wickets
Top scorers: Will Jefferson (Nottinghamshire) (40) Adam Voges (Nottinghamshire) (40)
(Match reduced to 15 overs per side)

Derbyshire v. Lancashire
Lancashire win by 10 wickets
Top scorers: Mal Loye (Lancashire) (54) Lou Vincent (Lancashire) (50)

Glamorgan v. Somerset
Glamorgan win by 14 runs
Top scorers: Justin Langer (Somerset) (62) Herschelle Gibbs (Glamorgan) (43)

Sussex v. Hampshire
Hampshire win by 6 wickets
Top scorers: Dwayne Smith (Sussex) (72) Murray Goodwin (Sussex) (69)

I think that's all of them!

Written By: Bobo on 06/17/08 at 3:35 pm

I've been distracted so much by the football lately that I've forgotten to update this thread since the fourteenth! I will do so after the end of the football.

Written By: Bobo on 06/20/08 at 2:34 pm

Results from June 15:

Gloucestershire v. Northamptonshire
Northamptonshire won by 27 runs
Top scorers: Riki Wessels (Northamptonshire) (43) David Sales (Northamptonshire) (41)

Derbyshire v. Yorkshire
Yorkshire won by 11 runs
Top scorers: Anthony McGrath (Yorkshire) (72) Graeme Smith (Derbyshire) (68)

Essex v. Middlesex
Middlesex won by 7 wickets
Top scorers: Tyron Henderson (Middlesex) (64) James Foster (Essex) (50)

Glamorgan v. Worcestershire
Match abandoned

Lancashire v. Leicestershire
Lancashire won by 37 runs
Top scorers: Hylton Ackerman (Leicestershire) (67) Kyle Hogg (Lancashire) (44)
Leiecstershire's bowler Allenby took a hat-trick.

Surrey v. Sussex
Surrey won by 5 wickets
Top scorers: Chris Nash (Sussex) (52) Abdul Razzaq (Surrey) (39*)

Written By: Bobo on 06/20/08 at 2:43 pm

Results from June 16:

Kent v. Hampshire
Kent won by 4 wickets
Top scorers: Michael Carberry (Hampshire) (51) Joe Denly (Kent) (50)
Incredibly Kent's innings included their two final outs coming after just two balls and one ball respectively - in the search for that final winning run!

Nottinghamshire v. Derbyshire
Derbyshire won by 3 wickets
Top scorers: Adam Voges (Nottinghamshire) (52) Wavell Hines (Derbyshire) (45)

Middlesex v. Surrey
Middlesex won by 5 wickets
Top scorers: James Benning (Surrey) (50) Ed Joyce (Middlesex) (47)

Written By: Bobo on 06/20/08 at 3:02 pm

Results from June 17:

Leicestershire v. Yorkshire
Yorkshire won by 6 wickets
Top scorers: Anthony McGrath (Yorkshire) (59) Hylton Ackerman (Leicestershire) (57)

Northamptonshire v. Gloucestershire
Northamptonshire won by 6 wickets
Top scorers: Rob White (Northamptonshire) (94) Hamish Marshall (Gloucestershire) (59)

Somerset v. Glamorgan
Somerset won by 15 runs
Top scorers: Peter Trego (Somerset) (79) Herschelle Gibbs (Glamorgan) (76)

Worcestershire v. Warwickshire
Warwickshire won by 7 wickets
Top scorers: Jonathon Trott (Warwickshire) (61*) Vikram Solanki (Worcestershire) (50)

Lancashire v. Durham
Durham won by 6 wickets
Top scorers: Phil Mustard (Durham) (61) Stuart Law (Lancashire) (54)

Sussex v. Essex
Essex won by 7 wickets
Top scorers: Murray Goodwin (Sussex) (47) James Foster (Essex) (41*)

Written By: Bobo on 06/20/08 at 3:20 pm

Results from June 18:

Surrey v. Hampshire
Hampshire won by 4 wickets
Top scorers: Abdul Razzaq (Surrey) (65) Mark Ramprakash (Surrey) (60)

Yorkshire v. Lancashire
Yorkshire won by 2 wickets
Top scorers: Anthony McGrath (Yorkshire) (46) Mal Loye (Lancashire) (43)

Durham v. Nottinghamshire
Match abandoned

Essex v. Kent
Essex won by 1 run
Top scorers: Jason Gallian (Essex) (44) James Foster (Essex) (41*)

Glamorgan v. Gloucestershire
Match abandoned

Written By: Bobo on 06/20/08 at 3:22 pm

Results from June 19:

Middlesex v. Sussex
Middlesex won by 38 runs
Top scorers: Billy Godleman (Middlesex) (58) Murray Goodwin (Sussex) (52)

Northamptonshire v. Warwickshire
Warwickshire won by 9 wickets
Top scorers: Neil Carter (Warwickshire) (52) Jim Troughton (Warwickshire) (27)

Nottinghamshire v. Leicestershire
Nottinghamshire won by 5 wickets
Top scorers: Hylton Ackerman (Leicestershire) (55) Chris Cairns (Nottinghamshire) (50)

Worcestershire v. Somerset
Somerset won by 10 runs
Top scorers: Graeme Hick (Worcestershire) (63) Peter Trego (Somerset) (47)

Written By: Bobo on 06/20/08 at 3:25 pm

Results from June 20:

Warwickshire v. Worcestershire
Warwickshire won by 38 runs
Top scorers: Ian Trott (Warwickshire) (37) Graham Hick (Worcestershire) (28)

Somerset v. Gloucestershire
Match abandoned

Written By: Bobo on 06/21/08 at 3:20 pm

England v. New Zealand finished in a 22-run win for the Enzedders - their thirty-second One-Day Internatonal win from seventy-two between the sides.

Written By: Bobo on 06/22/08 at 1:36 pm

Results from June 22:

Derbyshire v. Leciestershire - Derbyshire win by 7 wickets
Top scorers: Hylton Ackerman (Leicestershire) (49) Wavell Hines (Derbyshire) (42)

Middlesex v. Hampshire - Hampshire win by 6 runs
Top scorers: Shaun Udal (Middlesex) (40) Michael Carberry (Hampshire) (37)

Nottinghamshire v. Lancashire - Lancashire win by 5 wickets
Top scorers: Francois du Plessis (Lancashire) (57) Adam Voges (Nottinghamshire) (51)

Somerset v. Worcestershire: Somerset win by 67 runs
Top scorers: Marcus Trescothick (Somerset) (107) Stephen Moore (Worcestershire) (38)

Sussex v. Surrey: Sussex win by 6 wickets
Top scorers: Murray Goodwin (Sussex) (79) Matthew Prior (Sussex) (56)

Warwickshire v. Gloucestershire - Warwickshire win by 8 wickets
Top scorers: Chris Taylor (Gloucestershire) (66) Jonathan Trott (Warwickshire) (50)

Yorkshire v. Durham: Match tied
Top scorers: Anthony McGrath (Yorkshire) (65) Phil Mustard (Durham) (40)

Northamptonshire v. Glamorgan - Northamptonshire win by 24 runs
Top scorers: Herschelle Gibbs (Glamorgan) (98) Niall O'Brien (Northamptonshire) (69)

Kent v. Essex: Kent win by 81 runs
Top scorers: Joe Denly (Kent) (91) Azhar Mahmood (Kent) (36)

Written By: Bobo on 06/23/08 at 7:30 am

Tonight sees Derbyshire and Lancashire face off as well as Hampshire and Surrey.

Derbyshire have a 3W4L record in Twenty20 matches so far this season, while Lancashire, having won their first three Twenty20 matches are currently standing with an inverse record of 4W3L.

Hampshire are at 4W3L going into tonight's match, while Surrey, currently facing relegation from County Championship Division One are 1W6L in Twenty20 matches. Not exactly the most scintillating-looking pair of matches, but sometimes the most unexpected match-ups can produce surprises.

Written By: Bobo on 06/24/08 at 3:54 pm

Yesterday's results:

Derbyshire v. Lancashire - Lancshire win by 9 wickets
Top scorers - Lou Vincent (Lancashire) (102), Wavell Hinds (Derbyshire) (72)

Hampshire v. Surrey - Hampshire win by 6 wickets
Top scorers - Michael Lumb (Hampshire) (63) Scott Newman (Surrey) (52)

Today's results, and a bit of so-near-yet-so-far Twenty20 history to follow.

Written By: Bobo on 06/24/08 at 4:05 pm

Today's Twenty20 results, plus a little bit of history:

Essex v. Sussex - Essex win by 128 runs
Top scorers: Graham Napier (Essex) (152*) James Foster (Essex) (48)
Napier's score of 152 not out is the second highest score in Twenty20 history, with only Brendan McCullum's knock of 158 not out, just two months ago, being higher.

Durham v. Yorkshire - Durham win by 39 runs (Duckworth/Lewis method)
Top scorers: Phil Mustard (Durham) (49) Dale Benkenstein (Durham) (29)

Worcestershire v. Northamptonshire - Worcestershire win by 4 wickets
Top scorers: Andrew Hall (Northamptonshire) (58) Stephen Moore (Worcestershire) (51)

Warwickshire v. Somerset - Warwickshire win by 4 wickets
Top scorers: Jim Troughton (Warwickshire) (57) Jonathan Trott (Warwickshire) (48)

Middlesex v. Kent - Middlesex win by 6 runs
Top scorers: Eoin Morgan (Middlesex) (62) Dawid Malan jr. (Middlesex) (52)

Leicestershire v. Nottinghamshire - Leicestershire win by 5 runs
Top scorers: Adam Voges (Nottinghamshire) (59) Jim Allenby (Leicestershire) (57)

Gloucestershire v. Glamorgan - Gloucestershire win by 7 wickets
Top scorers: William Portersfield (Gloucestershire) (62) Hamish Marshall (Gloucestershire) (41)

Written By: Dude111 on 06/25/08 at 12:25 am

Cricket is awesome!!!!

Unfortunetly i dont get to see it very much :(

Written By: Bobo on 06/26/08 at 10:33 am

Paul Collingwood has apparently been found guilty of a Level 3 offence, something to do with a slow over rate. Kevin Pietersen has thus been made captain. There was some kind of controversial run-out where the two batsmen ran into each other..

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/26/08 at 12:18 pm

Paul Collingwood has apparently been found guilty of a Level 3 offence, something to do with a slow over rate. Kevin Pietersen has thus been made captain. There was some kind of controversial run-out where the two batsmen ran into each other..
Kevin Pietersen has only been made captain for the last ODI v New Zealand at Lord's on Saturday, the captainship for the ODI's against South Africa has still to be decided.

Written By: Bobo on 06/26/08 at 3:53 pm

Todays' games:

Somerset v. Northamptonshire - no result - Somerset made 137-9 in their 20 overs, and Northamptonshire got to 20-0 but no further.
Glamorgan v. Warwickshire - no result - abandoned after 8.4 overs
Yorkshire v. Leicestershire - match abandoned

Written By: Bobo on 06/29/08 at 6:17 pm

I've been out of the loop all weekend what with the football going on. Here we go with a rundown of recent results:

June 26:
Northamptonshire v. Somerset - no result
Warwickshire v. Glamorgan - no result - abandoned after 8.4 overs
Yorkshire v. Leicestershire - no result

June 27:
Durham v. Lancashire - no result
Essex v. Hampshire - Essex win by 54 runs
Gloucestershire v. Somerset - No result - match abandoned
Leicestershire v. Derbyshire - Leicestershire win by 23 runs
Surrey v. Middlesex - Middlesex win by 7 wickets
Sussex v. Kent - Kent win by 50 runs
Warwickshire v. Northamptonshire - Northamptonshire win by 13 runs
Worcestershire v. Glamorgan - Glamorgan win by 6 wickets
Nottinghamshire v. Yorkshire - Yorkshire win by 9 wickets

Written By: Bobo on 07/02/08 at 3:34 pm

Results from the last two days:

June 29:

Yorkshire v. Durham - Durham win by 8 wickets
Hampshire v. Nottinghamshire - Nottinghamshire win by 6 wickets
Surrey v. Kent - Kent win by 4 wickets
Sussex v. Lancashire - Lancashire win by 8 wickets
Leicestershire v. Worcestershire - Worcestershire win by 10 wickets
Essex v. Derbyshire - Essex win by 145 runs
Middlesex v. Northamptonshire - Match drawn
Warwickshire v. Gloucestershire - Match drawn

Written By: Bobo on 07/04/08 at 3:33 pm

Friends Provident Trophy semi-final number one:

Kent overcome last year's FP Trophy winners Durham by an 84-run margin, with Joe Denly and Martin van Jaarsveld scoring centuries, finishing on 301-4 — Steve Harmison taking all four of Kent's wickets. Despite half-centuries from Dale Benkenstein and Will Smith, Durham's lower order crumbled to finish on 217 all out.

The second semi-final takes place tomorrow, and the final takes place on August 16. Hopefully Essex, conquerors of Leicestershire, can get knocked out by Yorkshire. At this stage of the competition last year, Essex were knocked out by Durham, with the opponents skittling Essex to 71 all out.

Written By: Bobo on 07/07/08 at 10:31 pm

Essex overcome Yorkshire *cries softly* by an 84 run margin, the former posting a total of 285 from their 50 overs, including an innings of 95 from Alastair Cook. Yorkshire are only able to make it to 198 all out from nearly 43 overs.

Written By: Bobo on 07/08/08 at 1:02 pm

Just before I report on the games, Dawid Malan has hit his best Twenty20 score and only century so far in the format. An incredible innings.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/09/08 at 3:37 am

Just before I report on the games, Dawid Malan has hit his best Twenty20 score and only century so far in the format. An incredible innings.
It was an incredible innings.

It was his first century in Twenty20, it was the first time a Middlesex player scored a century and the innings closing on 176 for 7, I believe it is the highest Twenty20 score at The Oval.

Written By: Bobo on 07/09/08 at 2:22 pm

A little sidenote before I catch up on things - today at Deventer in the Netherlands, Netherlands' women's team were bowled out for 22 runs, while West Indies' women achieved their target from just four overs.

Twenty20 Cup quarter finals

QF1: Durham v. Yorkshire (July 7) - Abandoned without a ball being bowled
QF2: Essex v. Northamptonshire (July 8) - Essex win by 59 runs (D/L)
QF3: Middlesex v. Lancashire (July 9) - Middlesex win by 12 runs

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/09/08 at 2:42 pm

A little sidenote before I catch up on things - today at Deventer in the Netherlands, Netherlands' women's team were bowled out for 22 runs, while West Indies' women achieved their target from just four overs.

Twenty20 Cup quarter finals

QF1: Durham v. Yorkshire (July 7) - Abandoned without a ball being bowled
QF2: Essex v. Northamptonshire (July 8) - Essex win by 59 runs (D/L)
QF3: Middlesex v. Lancashire (July 9) - Middlesex win by 12 runs

The Quarter Final match between Warwickshire and Kent at Edgbaston (Birimingham) was abandoned today due to rain and is hoped that it will be played tomorrow.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/15/08 at 2:53 am

The First Test at Lord's between England and South Africa ended in the expected draw.

Sorry there I have no pictures of the play itself, but I do have these pictures.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm66/Phil_O-Sopher/PhilTufnell.jpg
Probably my favourite cricketer Phil Tufnell

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm66/Phil_O-Sopher/GeoffreyBoycoot.jpg
Geoffrey Boycott signing autographs

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm66/Phil_O-Sopher/PEAlan001.jpg
Now who on earth are these two?

Written By: gibbo on 07/15/08 at 5:33 am

The First Test at Lord's between England and South Africa ended in the expected draw.

Sorry there I have no pictures of the play itself, but I do have these pictures.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm66/Phil_O-Sopher/PhilTufnell.jpg
Probably my favourite cricketer Phil Tufnell

But he can't field!!!  ;D

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm66/Phil_O-Sopher/GeoffreyBoycoot.jpg
Geoffrey Boycott signing autographs

Slowly

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm66/Phil_O-Sopher/PEAlan001.jpg
Now who on earth are these two?

Maybe they play for South Africa?

Written By: Bobo on 07/15/08 at 5:59 am

Yesterday a whole pile of County Championship games came to an end. Here is a rundown of them all:

Durham v. Somerset - Match drawn
Top scorers: Zander de Bruijn (Somerset) (122); Peter Trego (Somerset) (68)

Hampshire v. Lancashire - Lancashire won by 6 wickets
Top scorers: Lou Vincent (Lancashire) (83) Nic Pothas (Hampshire) (62)

Kent v. Yorkshire - Kent won by 3 wickets
Top scorers: Rob Key (Kent) (157) Anthony McGrath (Yorkshire) (144)

Nottinghamshire v. Surrey - Match drawn
Top scorers: Samit Patel (Nottinghamshire) (134) Uzman Afzaal (Surrey) (89)

Worcestershire v. Northamptonshire - Match drawn
Top scorers: Vikram Solanki (Worcestershire) (114) Johan van der Wath (Northamptonshire) (75)

Derbyshire v. Leicestershire - Match drawn
Top scorers: Jim Allenby (Leicestershire) (72) Chris Rogers (Derbyshire) (52)

Glamorgan v. Essex - Match drawn
Top scorers: Mark Pettini (Essex) (92) Jason Gallian (Essex) (73)

Gloucestershire v. Middlesex - Match drawn
Top scorers: Eoin Morgan (Middlesex) (137) Ed Joyce (Middlesex) (86)

Eleven weeks of the season to go - and still, thanks to the inclement weather, no team in Division Two has any more than two wins to their name from the seven or eight matches they've played. Warwickshire, however, remain without a loss to their credit in Division Two, Surrey remain without a win to their credit in Division One, and Gloucestershire in Division Two are indeed still winless.

Written By: Bobo on 07/15/08 at 11:51 am

Interestingly, the most recent Twenty20 match, Warwickshire v. Kent was the 999th to take place since the set-up of the format in domestic competition since the set-up of the format.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/15/08 at 1:14 pm

Maybe they play for South Africa?
I wish!

Written By: Bobo on 07/16/08 at 11:27 am

Latest news: Apparently English cricket is going to get a Twenty20 league similar to the IPL by 2010. Personally, I have enjoyed watching and listening to recent Twenty20 games, IPL and/or otherwise, and I think this is a great idea, particularly for people like me who can't stay awake for five whole days...

Written By: Bobo on 07/19/08 at 1:44 pm

Some results from matches which finished today:

Somerset v. Kent - Somerset win by 246 runs
Top scorers: Justin Langer (Somerset) (88) Zander de Bruijn (Somerset) (81)

Surrey v. Durham - Durham win by 10 wickets
Top scorers: Will Smith (Durham) (201*) Scott Newman (Surrey) (113)

Sussex v. Hampshire - Sussex win by 10 wickets
Top scorers: Murray Goodwin (Sussex) (184) Carl Hopkinson (Sussex) (106)

Middlesex v. Warwickshire - Warwickshire win by an innings and 56 runs
Top scorers: Jim Troughton (Warwickshire) (88) Tony Frost (Warwickshire) (84)

Nottinghamshire v. Derbyshire - Match drawn
Top scorers: Jonathan Clare (Derbyshire) (129) Chris Rogers (Derbyshire) (118)

Written By: Bobo on 07/22/08 at 1:53 pm

The Test match finished in a miserable ten-wicket defeat... and I forgot to report on Worcestershire v. Glamorgan, which finished in a ten-wicket win by Worcestershire. Ben Smith finished on 99, and Imran Arif received his debut first-class appearance.

Written By: Bobo on 07/23/08 at 10:34 pm

While I haven't been talking much about the Pro40 league in this thread, an intriguing game between Durham and Somerset finished with Durham getting a tenth-wicket partnership of 81, including 72 from number nine Liam Plunkett and 25 from number eleven Harmison, both of which were List A records for the tailenders.

Written By: Bobo on 07/26/08 at 3:39 pm

Middlesex beat Durham by eight wickets and we're halfway through the final.. will report later.

Written By: Henk on 07/26/08 at 3:57 pm

I admit I know nothing about cricket, apart from that you're supposed to hit the ball and score runs (when hitting) or bowl out your opponent (when bowling). I just don't get how the scoring works exactly, and therefore I find it highly puzzling to see a result like this:

Scotland 203/4 - Denmark 224/8 *)
Scotland win by 6 wickets (D/L)

To me, the winner would be Denmark, because 224 is a better score than 203...in any other sport, that is. OK, almost any sport - not golf. And not cricket, obviously.

But this is all beside the point. All I really wanted to say was that The Netherlands beat Norway today.

The Netherlands 474/8/50  -  Norway 104 ao *)
Netherlands win by 370 runs.
Reekers 196
De Grooth 96
(Partnership 1st wicket: 290 runs)

Even with my limited knowledge of the sport, I can tell that these are impressive figures. And that makes me a little proud.

*) Both are results from the EC, currently held in Ireland.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/26/08 at 4:17 pm

Middlesex win the Twenty20 final against Kent by just three runs at the Rose Bowl.

Written By: Bobo on 07/26/08 at 8:13 pm

To answer your question, Henk:

D/L refers to the Duckworth Lewis method, which was first used in 1996-97 to sort out matches which were interrupted by rain, instead of letting them just go to draws, which would be achieved when there is no result. It was invented by two statisticians and - in fifty-over matches, can be applied from the twentieth over onwards.

The Duckworth Lewis method, in its crudest form, takes a combination of average number of runs achieved per over as well as individual batting averages to calculate a "best estimate" of what the score may have been at the end of the game. In the example you quoted, six overs were lost due to rain, and thus Scotland's innings was decreased to 44 overs, leaving them a target of 203, which they summarily reached.

If and when I find the 2008 Playfair Cricket Annual, I can try and find the relevant parts of the rule which apply in this instance. All in all, it's an imperfect system, but sadly it's the best that the cricket boffins can come up with.

----

As for the Netherlands, it was their first ever big fixture against the Norwegians. The Dutch team's most famous player in this match was Daan van Bunge, who is most well-known for being the bowler off whom Herschelle Gibbs hit six sixes off a single over, on March 16, 2007. It was indeed a great result for the Dutch - which leaves the Dutch in third place in the EC Division One table - which is a great position to be in, though now they have to face Ireland and Scotland, who are first and second in the table respectively.

Written By: Henk on 07/27/08 at 2:48 pm

To answer your question, Henk:

D/L refers to the Duckworth Lewis method, which was first used in 1996-97 to sort out matches which were interrupted by rain, instead of letting them just go to draws, which would be achieved when there is no result. It was invented by two statisticians and - in fifty-over matches, can be applied from the twentieth over onwards.

The Duckworth Lewis method, in its crudest form, takes a combination of average number of runs achieved per over as well as individual batting averages to calculate a "best estimate" of what the score may have been at the end of the game. In the example you quoted, six overs were lost due to rain, and thus Scotland's innings was decreased to 44 overs, leaving them a target of 203, which they summarily reached.

If and when I find the 2008 Playfair Cricket Annual, I can try and find the relevant parts of the rule which apply in this instance. All in all, it's an imperfect system, but sadly it's the best that the cricket boffins can come up with.

So in short...Scotland win on statistics, because the game was interrupted by rain...?  ???

That system makes sense in a way. I can't think of any other way to get a result from a game that's been interrupted and can't be finished.
I don't think Denmark were very pleased with the result, though.

As for the Netherlands, it was their first ever big fixture against the Norwegians. The Dutch team's most famous player in this match was Daan van Bunge, who is most well-known for being the bowler off whom Herschelle Gibbs hit six sixes off a single over, on March 16, 2007.

That is definitely NOT something Daan van Bunge will be very proud of....

It was indeed a great result for the Dutch - which leaves the Dutch in third place in the EC Division One table - which is a great position to be in, though now they have to face Ireland and Scotland, who are first and second in the table respectively.

...But Scotland are second only because they defeat Denmark on statistics. ;)

Written By: Bobo on 07/27/08 at 3:43 pm

Well yes but the Scots have two wins from two games whereas the Dutch have won one and lost one.

My brother had worked out a better system of working out Duckworth/Lewis based on each individual's average score in the last 5 innings and taking into account current form of batsmen and bowlers. It's nice but... who knows.

Nine rounds left of the County Championship, the next games start on Wednesday morning.

Written By: Bobo on 08/01/08 at 11:25 am

Former Indian Test cricket Ashok Mankad has died. Mankad's father, Mulvantrai Himmatlal "Vinoo" Mankad, was the man who ran out Don Bradman in his last Test innings for a duck, when a score of four runs would have let Bradman finish with a 100 average over his Test career.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/01/08 at 11:43 am

Former Indian Test cricket Ashok Mankad has died. Mankad's father, Mulvantrai Himmatlal "Vinoo" Mankad, was the man who ran out Don Bradman in his last Test innings for a duck, when a score of four runs would have let Bradman finish with a 100 average over his Test career.
Don Bradman's last Test Match was at The Oval and he was out for a duck when bowled out by Eric Hollies.

Written By: Bobo on 08/01/08 at 2:46 pm

While I'm sure it's already marked in your diary, Phil, the Essex v. Kent Friends Provident Trophy final is occurring two weeks tomorrow, on August 16. Kent got there thanks to a victory over Somerset, while Essex beat Yorkshire in their semi-final to reach the final of the competition.

Written By: Bobo on 08/02/08 at 3:14 pm

Rampers becomes the 25th player to score one hundred first-class centuries thanks to his innings of 112 not out against Yorkshire. And with that, a round-up of the scores of the matches which finished today:

Kent v. Yorkshire - Match drawn
Top scorers: Nic Pothas (Hampshire) (105*) Michael Carberry (Hampshire) (92)

Nottinghamshire v. Durham - Match drawn
Top scorers: Bilal Shafiyat (Nottinghamshire) (100) Will Smith (Durham) (85)

Sussex v. Somerset - Match drawn
Top scorers: Murray Goodwin (Sussex) (137) Marcus Trescothick (Somerset) (92)

Yorkshire v. Surrey - Match drawn
Top scorers: Scott Newman (Surrey) (129) Mark Ramprakash (Surrey) (112)
Worth noting during this game that a score of 50 was reached by GJ (Deon) Kruis of Yorkshire from number eleven in the order

Essex v. Glamorgan - Glamorgan win by 202 runs
Top scorers: Gareth Rees (Glamorgan) (62) Mark Wallace (Glamorgan) (52)

Derbyshire v. Northamptonshire - Match drawn
Top scorers: Lance Klusener (Northamptonshire) (135) Stephen Peters (Northamptonshire) (104)

Gloucestershire v. Worcestershire - Worcestershire win by an innings and 142 runs
Top scorers: Vikram Solanki (Worcestershire) (270) Stuart Moore (Worcestershire) (129)

As a sidenote: This is the largest ever victory for Worcestershire over Gloucestershire, in the 187 first class matches between the teams. This is in spite of two of the players on the wrong side of the defeat scoring 98 and 83 runs. Solanki also scored his highest first-class score, and the sixth-highest in Worcestershire's history, three of the top six being achieved by a certain Graeme Hick.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/03/08 at 7:31 am

After the series defeat by the south africans, a tearful Michael Vaughan has resigned as England Test captain after five years, saying it was both the hardest and the easiest decision he has made.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/03/08 at 7:33 am

After the series defeat by the south africans, a tearful Michael Vaughan has resigned as England Test captain after five years, saying it was both the hardest and the easiest decision he has made.
...it has also been announced that Paul Collingwood has stepped down as the captain for the England ODI squad.

Written By: Bobo on 08/04/08 at 4:15 am

Well well - we're just past halfway through the domestic season, and Nottinghamshire are topping Division One, while Worcestershire, just a year after considerable floods spelled disaster at the club as they were relegated from Division One, are top of Division Two.

Slight diversion here - when I went to college in Worcester, one of the last places you pass on your left as you get there actually is Worcestershire's cricket ground, and it's amazing how, when you consider how close the ground actually is to the river — not just because the river flows to the side, but because there is not much space for the river to flood before the ground becomes unusable — I have to admit it's amazing that they actually managed to complete over half their games!

Written By: Bobo on 08/11/08 at 10:30 am

Most recent round of results:

Durham v. Kent - Durham win by 43 runs
Top scorers: Martin van Jaarsveld (Kent) (53) Ryan McClaren (Kent) (44)

Glamorgan v. Middlesex - Match drawn
Top scorers: Jamie Dalrymple (Glamorgan) (106) Shaun Udal (Middlesex) (73)

Gloucestershire v. Leicestershire - Match drawn
Top scorers: Marcus North (Gloucestershire) (104) Hamish Marshall (Gloucestershire) (83)

Hampshire v. Yorkshire - Match drawn
Top scorers: Jacques Rudolph (Yorkshire) (89) Michael Carberry (Hampshire) (53*)

Lancashire v. Sussex - Match drawn
Top scorers: Chris Nash (Sussex) (108) Matt Prior (Sussex) (73) Stuart Law (Lancashire) (73)

Somerset v. Nottinghamshire - Match drawn
Top scorers: Marcus Trescothick (Somerset) (81) Chris Read (Nottinghamshire) (74*)

Worcestershire v. Derbyshire - Match drawn
Top scorers: Stephen Moore (Worcestershire) (156) Graeme Hick (Worcestershire) (149)

Warwickshire v. Northamptonshire - Match drawn
Top scorers: Jim Troughton (Warwickshire) (138*) Lance Klusener (Northamptonshire) (83)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/11/08 at 12:16 pm

England sealed a six-wicket consolation victory over South Africa at The Oval to hand Kevin Pietersen a winning start to his reign as Test captain.

Written By: Bobo on 08/15/08 at 3:18 pm

Don't forget, Phil, tomorrow is the Kent v. Essex Friends Provident Trophy final. Weather permitting, of course.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/15/08 at 3:45 pm

Don't forget, Phil, tomorrow is the Kent v. Essex Friends Provident Trophy final. Weather permitting, of course.
I will be trying what I can, and it will be a local derby.

Written By: Bobo on 08/16/08 at 12:11 pm

Essex beat Kent in the final of the FP Trophy - I listened to the first half on R5 SE. Essex got to 93/4 chasing 214, but lost just one further wicket in their quest for victory.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/16/08 at 12:18 pm

Essex beat Kent in the final of the FP Trophy - I listened to the first half on R5 SE. Essex got to 93/4 chasing 214, but lost just one further wicket in their quest for victory.
Essex captured the FP Trophy with a five-wicket win over Kent at Lord's.

Where was the Essex wonder-boy Graham Napier, he was not needed to bat this time.

Written By: Bobo on 08/16/08 at 12:20 pm

Napier was next in the order if either Flower or ten Doeschate had have been dismissed. Neither of those things happened, so they stayed in the pavilion.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/16/08 at 12:28 pm

Napier was next in the order if either Flower or ten Doeschate had have been dismissed. Neither of those things happened, so they stayed in the pavilion.
He displayed good quick hitting batting skills in previous one day matches, Mark Pettini (the captain of Essex) must had felt confident in not having him high in the batting order..

Written By: Bobo on 08/23/08 at 4:54 pm

Results from the latest round of County Championship matches:

Hampshire v. Somerset - Match drawn
Top scorers: Ian Blackwell (Somerset) (129) Michael Lumb (Hampshire) (107)
Kent v. Lancashire - Kent win by 211 runs
Top scorers: Joe Denly (Kent) (118) Geraint Jones (Kent) (106)

Surrey v. Sussex - Match drawn
Top scorers: Mark Ramprakash (Surrey) (178) Jonathan Batty (Surrey) (102)
Gloucestershire v. Northamptonshire - Match drawn
Top scorers: Kadeer Ali (Gloucestershire) (161) David Sales (Northamptonshire) (148)
Ali's score of 161 was his first-class best.

Essex v. Worcestershire - Worcestershire win by 6 wickets
Top scorers: James Foster (Essex) (111*) Daryl Mitchell (Worcestershire) (102)

Middlesex v. Leicestershire - Match drawn
Top scorers: Hylton Ackerman (Leicestershire) (194) Joshua Cobb (Leicestershire) (148*)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/23/08 at 5:11 pm

Results from the latest round of County Championship matches:

Middlesex v. Leicestershire - Match drawn
Top scorers: Hylton Ackerman (Leicestershire) (194) Joshua Cobb (Leicestershire) (148*)

Something tells me that there could be something wrong with Middlesex's bowling.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/28/08 at 4:15 pm

ECB penalise two county players 

Middlesex batsman Billy Godleman and Surrey seamer Stuart Meaker have been penalised under the England and Wales Cricket Board's disciplinary code.

Both men have been issued with three penalty points which will remain on their records for two years.

Godleman was guilty of using obscene language or gestures during a second XI game against Gloucestershire in July.

Meaker was reported for bowling an accidental high full-pitched delivery during a game against Yorkshire.

Players who incur nine penalty points face an automatic ban by the ECB.

Written By: Bobo on 09/01/08 at 11:04 am

Away over the weekend, but the following matches were concluded:

Hampshire v. Durham - Hampshire win by two wickets
Top scorers: Shaun Ervine (Hampshire (94*) Will Smith (Durham) (70)

Lancashire v. Surrey - Match abandoned
Sussex v. Nottinghamshire - Match drawn
Top scorers: Mark Wagh (Nottinghamshire) (128) Bilal Shafayat (Nottinghamshire) (118)

Yorkshire v. Kent - Match drawn
Top scorers: Jacques Rudolph (Yorkshire) (146) Martin van Jaarsveld (Kent) (107)

Leicestershire v. Essex - Essex win by an innings and 74 runs
Top scorers: James Foster (Essex) (132*) Jaik Mickelburgh (Essex) (60)
Northamptonshire v. Glamorgan - Match drawn
Top scorers: Lance Klusener (Northamptonshire) (202*) Niall O'Brian (Northamptonshire) (168)

Warwickshire v. Derbyshire - Match drawn
Top scorers: Chris Rogers (Derbyshire) (248*) Ian Trott (Warwickshire) (181)

An interesting statistic that I also noted on Wikipedia at the time, is that Rogers' innings of 248 not out is the highest first-class score for Derbyshire in 62 years. I figure that, had the lower order stood up rather better than they did, he could have been on for a record set by George Davidson, all of 102 seasons ago, for the highest first-class score for the side.

Written By: Bobo on 09/02/08 at 9:21 pm

Graeme Hick to retire at end of season

Sad news that. What an amazing career he has had. A short excerpt from the end of the article:

----

As to the future, Hick admitted he might be tempted to compete in the rebel Indian Cricket League.

"Would I be interested in the ICL? Now I've retired, that is an opportunity that may open up. That may be an avenue I will look to pursue. I am not sure as yet.

"Have I had any offers (from the ICL)? I think just about everyone over 30 in English cricket has. We will wait and see. It is something I may pursue."

Written By: Bobo on 09/06/08 at 12:01 pm

Latest round of County Championship fixtures:

Durham v. Lancashire - Match drawn
Top scorers: Will Smith (Durham) (144*) Dale Benkenstein (Durham) (61*)
Incredible from a game in which only half of a single innings was possible. Durham went from the end of day 1 to the end of day 2 without losing a wicket

Nottinghamshire v. Somerset - Match drawn
Top scorers: Peter Trego (Somerset) (86) Craig Kieswetter (Somerset) (39)
Once again, only two days' play possible

Yorkshire v. Sussex - Match drawn
Top scorers: Andy Hodd (Sussex) (81) Chris Nash (Sussex) (79)
Only two days play possible

Derbyshire v. Glamorgan - Match drawn
Top scorers: Gareth Rees (Glamorgan) (126) Robert Croft (Glamorgan) (89*)
This is Gareth Rees' highest first-class score. No play was possible on the final day

Worcestershire v. Warwickshire - Match drawn
Top scorers: Vikram Solanki (Worcestershire) (91) Jonathan Trott (Warwickshire) (88)

Middlesex v. Gloucestershire - Match drawn
Top scorers: Billy Godleman (Middlesex) (106) David Brown (Gloucestershire) (68)

And that, I believe in bingo parlance, is what we call a "full house"! Six games, six draws.

---

Four rounds of the County Championship to go - Nottinghamshire lead the Division One table, while Worcestershire lead Division Two. As it stands, Yorkshire, promoted from Division Two in 2005, and Surrey, promoted the following year, look to be heading back down to Division Two, while Worcestershire, fresh and, by the looks of it, partially energized by, last year's flood troubles, look to be heading up to Division One, along with Warwickshire.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/06/08 at 12:04 pm

Latest round of County Championship fixtures:

Durham v. Lancashire - Match drawn
Top scorers: Will Smith (Durham) (144*) Dale Benkenstein (Durham) (61*)
Incredible from a game in which only half of a single innings was possible. Durham went from the end of day 1 to the end of day 2 without losing a wicket

Nottinghamshire v. Somerset - Match drawn
Top scorers: Peter Trego (Somerset) (86) Craig Kieswetter (Somerset) (39)
Once again, only two days' play possible

Yorkshire v. Sussex - Match drawn
Top scorers: Andy Hodd (Sussex) (81) Chris Nash (Sussex) (79)

Derbyshire v. Glamorgan - Match drawn
Top scorers: Gareth Rees (Glamorgan) (126) Robert Croft (Glamorgan) (89*)
This is Gareth Rees' highest first-class score. No play was possible on the final day

Worcestershire v. Warwickshire - Match drawn
Top scorers: Vikram Solanki (Worcestershire) (91) Jonathan Trott (Warwickshire) (88)

Top scorers: Billy Godleman (Middlesex) (106) David Brown (Gloucestershire) (68)

And that, I believe in bingo parlance, is what we call a "full house"! Six games, six draws.

---

Four rounds of the County Championship to go - Nottinghamshire lead the Division One table, while Worcestershire lead Division Two. As it stands, Yorkshire, promoted from Division Two in 2005, and Surrey, promoted the following year, look to be heading back down to Division Two, while Worcestershire, fresh and, by the looks of it, partially energized by, last year's flood troubles, look to be heading up to Division One, along with Warwickshire.
I think it was the rain that was the winner for those matches?

Written By: Bobo on 09/08/08 at 6:54 am

Forgot to report on one match:

Top scorers: Billy Godleman (Middlesex) (106) William Portersfield (Gloucestershire) (69)

—————

Two rounds of the County Championship left, and I would like to posit that Warwickshire may be able to finish their Division Two season undefeated, yet only having won three games. I believe would be the lowest number of victories in a lossless season in the entirety of the County Championship.

Undefeated seasons - Single division era (1890-1999)

1930 - Lancashire - 10 wins from 28 games
1969 - Glamorgan - 11 wins from 24 games
1972 - Warwickshire - 9 wins from 20 games
1973 - Hampshire - 10 wins from 20 games
1998 - Leicestershire - 11 wins from 17 games
1999 - Surrey - 12 wins from 17 games

Undefeated seasons - Two division era (2000-present)

2004 - Warwickshire - 5 wins from 16 games
2008? (Ongoing) - Warwickshire - 3 wins from 14 matches

Surreally, Warwickshire therefore would become the first team to achieve this feat in Division One then Division Two, having won the County Championship in 2004 and gotten relegated in 2007.

Written By: Bobo on 09/09/08 at 9:00 pm

Yesterday, a Women's One Day international took place, albeit barely, in Hove. Number 665, in actual fact. I get the feeling the next fixture will be somewhat devilish. :D The game was abandoned for rain after just four overs.

England thus win the five-game series 4-0, with 23-year-old Katherine Brunt picking up the award for Player of the series.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/16/08 at 10:26 pm

Former England batsman Graeme Hick is unlikely to be fit for the final Championship game before his retirement as Worcestershire face Middlesex. Hick suffered a reaction to his elbow injury and is also set to miss the Pro40 play-off against Glamorgan.

Written By: Bobo on 09/16/08 at 10:29 pm

Damn - that's unfortunate. What a career. What a man. 526 first-class appearances in 25 years. And a first-class average which, over that time, remains over 50.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/16/08 at 10:32 pm

Damn - that's unfortunate. What a career. What a man. 526 first-class appearances in 25 years. And a first-class average which, over that time, remains over 50.
He has been a great player over the years and will be missed on the field, and personally speaking if it was not for my flu, I would have been at Kidderminster today for the first day of play.

Written By: Bobo on 09/16/08 at 10:37 pm

I have an old cricket sim from around 1987 or so, his name is the only name still left from that game who is still active in first-class cricket - the others include old Middlesex players Mike Gatting, Mike Rosebury, and John Emburey, and, in the twilight years of his Test career, Bill Athey, who, even then, was only just touching thirty...

Going back and playing it today seems like a complete blast from the past. I believe Hick is the final player from the simulation who is still playing - though, no longer.

Written By: Bobo on 09/18/08 at 1:15 pm

Surrey have been relegated from Division One of the County Championship, as Nottinghamshire earn two bonus points in their final game of the season, making them safe from the drop.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/18/08 at 3:30 pm

Surrey have been relegated from Division One of the County Championship, as Nottinghamshire earn two bonus points in their final game of the season, making them safe from the drop.
Making return of the Middlesex v Surrey fixtures for next year.

Written By: Bobo on 09/24/08 at 8:11 pm

An incredible performance so far by Middlesex on the first day of the final set of games in the County Championship.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/25/08 at 3:34 am

An incredible performance so far by Middlesex on the first day of the final set of games in the County Championship.
Andrew Strauss on 164 not out, well done to him. Now if he can do that for England too?

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/25/08 at 9:02 am

Irman Tahir for Hampshire, after playing for abysmally Middlesex a few seasons back, is now clearing up the Notts tail.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/27/08 at 6:05 am

Final day of the County Championship latest:

Durham have beaten Kent by an innings and 71 runs, and now stand on top of Table.

Somerset (against Lancashire) have near enough lost their match and out of the running for the title.

Nottinghamshire (playing Hampshire) need 442 runs of 76 overs to win the game and  to win the Championship, passing Durham on points.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/27/08 at 6:09 am

Durham have beaten Kent by an innings and 71 runs, and now stand on top of Table.

Somerset (against Lancashire) have near enough lost their match and out of the running for the title.

Nottinghamshire (playing Hampshire) need 442 runs of 76 overs to win the game and  to win the Championship, passing Durham on points.
Nottinghamshire are 19-2 and Durham are interested in celebrating now.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/27/08 at 6:13 am

With Kent losing, they are now relegated to the 2nd Division along with Surrey.

Written By: Bobo on 09/27/08 at 6:47 am

Thank you for updates Phil.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/27/08 at 6:51 am

At lunch, Notts are three wickets down.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/27/08 at 8:33 am

Nottinghamshire require another 295 runs with 6 wickets remaining to win...

...it is looking better for Durham.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/27/08 at 9:52 am

With Notts 9 wickets down, the champagne corks are popping at Durham

Written By: Bobo on 09/27/08 at 9:55 am

An amazing performance from Yorkshire tailender David Wainwright, who scores 104 not out, his highest first-class score and debut first-class century.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/27/08 at 9:57 am

Confirmed Durham are champions

Written By: Bobo on 09/27/08 at 9:59 am

Congratulations to the youngest first-class county for their first County Championship victory.

Check for new replies or respond here...