inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How Will The 18-1 Patriots Be Remembered Historically?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/18/08 at 9:08 pm

Other than last seasons New England Patriots, only two teams have ever gone 18-1 since the NFL expanded to the 16 game schedule in 1978.

The 1984 San Francisco 49ers, who beat the Miami Dolphins 38-16 in Super Bowl XIX, and the now legendary 1985 Chicago Bears, who demolished the Patriots 46-10 in Super Bowl XX.

Of course those teams won the Super Bowl, and the '07 Pats did not. My question is, how do you think this current New England team will be viewed, say 15 or 20 years from now?

To me, it's kind of hard to say. I still believe that the Patriots team that was destroying everyone they stepped on the field against in the first 8 weeks of the season was maybe the greatest team I have ever seen, but due to there struggles later in the year(especially in the Super Bowl) I can't rank them over either of the other teams that went 18-1. Certainly the '72 Miami Dolphins still have to rank above them due to there perfect season, and there are several other teams you could make a case for as well.

Personally, I still think they were a great team. Not the greatest ever, but still a great team. Unfortunately, I don't think they will be remembered in a positive light. Add in the 'spygate' controversy, and I'm pretty confident they will go down as a historical footnote.

Subject: Re: How Will The 18-1 Patriots Be Remembered Historically?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/18/08 at 9:24 pm

Worst 18-1 team ever in the salary cap era...buoyed by a lot of luck towards the end of their run.  I thought they were the best team ever after they squeaked by Indy and killed off the Redskins, but then there were a bunch of squeakers and they barely beat the eventual champion NYGs.  I think a lot of bad karma came back on them.

Written By: Tam on 02/18/08 at 11:59 pm

^ agree

Not to mention the fact that they have been cheating for years apparently by video taping their opponents during warmups and practice! Nice job ya goofballs!

Written By: Henk on 02/19/08 at 12:15 am

I had already forgotten all about them.

Written By: Red Ant on 02/19/08 at 11:38 am

18 Wins. 1 Giant loss.  ;D

They are still the only team to go 16-0 regular season, and set quite a few records on the way.

I guess how they are remembered will have a lot to do with how Spygate plays out.

Ant

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/19/08 at 1:29 pm

^ agree

Not to mention the fact that they have been cheating for years apparently by video taping their opponents during warmups and practice! Nice job ya goofballs!

I don't think the players really knew, sounds like it was something that Belichick kind of did on his own and then his playcalling benefitted the players on the field.  The players still had to execute, and they executed extremely well for a long period of time.

Written By: loki 13 on 02/19/08 at 5:37 pm

I think they will always be remembered as cheaters, there are too many questions still being asked.
Destroying tapes, lawsuits and inquiries by a Senetor. I don't think they really deserve the label but
the label will stick none the less.

As far as the best team ever.....hardly. Rule changes alone will keep that status away from them.
What do you think the defense of the 70's Steelers to do to the Brady Bunch. Do you really think
there is a corner today that could cover the likes of Lynn Swann, Bob Hayes or Fred Belitnikoff. As
I stated earlier in the season, The Patriots were a very good team made better by everyone else
being so bad.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/20/08 at 10:26 pm

I agree with most of what you guys said. If anything, I would say that the fact that Super Bowl XLII was one of the most memorable of all time helps them a bit, as I don't think anyone will be forgetting that game anytime soon. Needless to say, they will go down as the most famous Super Bowl losers ever.

Written By: Max Power on 02/21/08 at 5:51 am

I'd rank them alongside 1906 Cubs, 2001 Mariners, 1995 Redwings, and the 1934 Bears

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/22/08 at 9:52 pm

I'd rank them alongside 1906 Cubs, 2001 Mariners, 1995 Redwings, and the 1934 Bears

Yeah, I think they would automatically join the company of those teams. The closest comparison could be the '01 Mariners. They won 116 games in the regular season, but didn't even make it to the World Series.

Don't forget about the 1998 Vikings either. They finished 15-1, set a record for the most points scored in a season until the Pats broke it this year, and lost to the Falcons in the NFC championship. Come to think of it, Randy Moss was on that team too ;)

Written By: MrCleveland on 03/23/08 at 9:12 pm

They will be forgotten.

They are the Meg Griffin of Best Teams. I wish they would fall into the pit of oblivion!

The 1972 Dolphins will always reign. And if Don Shula dies this year, he'll die a happy man!

Written By: Max Power on 03/29/08 at 9:28 pm

Yeah, I think they would automatically join the company of those teams. The closest comparison could be the '01 Mariners. They won 116 games in the regular season, but didn't even make it to the World Series.

The Cubs did it at the 154 games format.

Check for new replies or respond here...