inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: NCAA tournament 2008

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/20/08 at 12:27 pm

UCLA FTW!

Subject: Re: NCAA tournament 2008

Written By: ninny on 03/20/08 at 12:33 pm

I got 2 pools going one I picked Tennesee the other Memphis,though I don't really care for either,my team Syracuse did not even make the tourney

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/20/08 at 12:40 pm

^ Neither did Cal :(  Sucky!

Written By: loki 13 on 03/20/08 at 5:45 pm

Of all the years I've been playing pools, this is the first year I chosen all 4 #1 seeds to
be in the final four.

Just wondering though, when did they advance the field to 65 teams and that incredibly stupid,
waste of time play-in game....and why?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/21/08 at 9:35 am

Of all the years I've been playing pools, this is the first year I chosen all 4 #1 seeds to
be in the final four.

Just wondering though, when did they advance the field to 65 teams and that incredibly stupid,
waste of time play-in game....and why?

They started this maybe six years ago, I think...the argument was that some teams that were deserving of selection got squeezed out by automatic bids in lesser conferences.  Thus they put in a play-in game for the super-crappy teams, then they became the fourth 16th seed.  I think if they wanted to put in more deserving teams, they should make all the 16 seeds into play-in games.

Written By: loki 13 on 03/21/08 at 10:11 am

They started this maybe six years ago, I think...the argument was that some teams that were deserving of selection got squeezed out by automatic bids in lesser conferences.  Thus they put in a play-in game for the super-crappy teams, then they became the fourth 16th seed.  I think if they wanted to put in more deserving teams, they should make all the 16 seeds into play-in games.

Maybe they should have a pretournament tournament for all teams outside the top 25, I mean come on, Coppin St.?
They had a losing record for Pete's sake. I know Duke was almost embarrassed but for the most part 16 and 15 seeds
are going home so why waste time and have a game to find out which bad team should be the one and done team for
this year? How much money could be generated by a game seen by 5 people?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/21/08 at 11:58 am

Maybe they should have a pretournament tournament for all teams outside the top 25, I mean come on, Coppin St.?
They had a losing record for Pete's sake. I know Duke was almost embarrassed but for the most part 16 and 15 seeds
are going home so why waste time and have a game to find out which bad team should be the one and done team for

I totally agree.

Watching UCLA destroy Mississippi Valley State last night was just painful. 70-29 :(

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/21/08 at 11:59 am

I think I'm mostly ambivalent.  Nobody really watches the play-in games but they gotta at least try to pretend that they care about the crappy schools :D

Written By: ninny on 03/21/08 at 12:29 pm

I think I'm mostly ambivalent.  Nobody really watches the play-in games but they gotta at least try to pretend that they care about the crappy schools :D

That would depend if you went to school there or lived near one of those "Crappy schools",for instance I live about 1 and a half hours from Cornell and was glad they were in the tournament,I knew they didn't really have a chance against Stanford,but Hell I was just excited to see them there. Hell I was hoping Belmont would of won last night.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/21/08 at 12:42 pm

That would depend if you went to school there or lived near one of those "Crappy schools",for instance I live about 1 and a half hours from Cornell and was glad they were in the tournament,I knew they didn't really have a chance against Stanford,but Hell I was just excited to see them there. Hell I was hoping Belmont would of won last night.

Yeah, Duke really didn't deserve that 2 seed.

<-- went to Dook :P

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/21/08 at 2:15 pm

Wow, I'm batting 1.000 so far today.  Yesterday there were like NO upsets :P

Written By: loki 13 on 03/21/08 at 2:18 pm

Freakin' Western Kentucky, the guy launches a bomb that a pro wouldn't shoot and hits
nothing but net. That gives me 4 losses in one pool and 3 losses in another....Pretty much
puts me out.  >:(

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/21/08 at 2:22 pm

...and that's why they play the games!!!  :D :D

I have them losing to UConn in the next round.

Written By: ninny on 03/21/08 at 3:21 pm

Freakin' Western Kentucky, the guy launches a bomb that a pro wouldn't shoot and hits
nothing but net. That gives me 4 losses in one pool and 3 losses in another....Pretty much
puts me out.  >:(

Tell me about 4 losses in both of mine,I was all excited when Davidson won,then WHAM! Western Kentucky >:(

Written By: loki 13 on 03/21/08 at 6:18 pm

Freakin' U Conn, now I lost that part of the bracket to the sweet 16, I have UCLA moving on. The only thing I
can hope for is that everyone else in the pool lost those games as well.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/21/08 at 8:19 pm

...and that's why they play the games!!!  :D :D

I have them losing to UConn in the next round.

I did too, and then UConn loses to San Diego >:(

Plus Siena is beating Vandy by 10, and Mississippi State is barely beating Oregon. This could be a bad night for my bracket :(

Written By: ninny on 03/21/08 at 8:26 pm

I did too, and then UConn loses to San Diego >:(

Plus Siena is beating Vandy by 10, and Mississippi State is barely beating Oregon. This could be a bad night for my bracket :(

UConn game ugh .....I picked Siena & Miss State
My rank in the Bodog fantasy picks  3697/12598,not great but at least I'm not sucking.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/21/08 at 8:33 pm

UConn game ugh .....I picked Siena & Miss State
My rank in the Bodog fantasy picks  3697/12598,not great but at least I'm not sucking.

I also picked Miss St. and it looks like they will hold on for the moment. But, I picked Vandy and St. Joe's and they both lost earlier. UNC won earlier(no surprise there), so right now i'm just 2-3 in the evening games.

Western Kentucky really messed me up earlier today. I had Drake in the the sweet 16 :-[

Written By: ninny on 03/21/08 at 8:51 pm

I also picked Miss St. and it looks like they will hold on for the moment. But, I picked Vandy and St. Joe's and they both lost earlier. UNC won earlier(no surprise there), so right now i'm just 2-3 in the evening games.

Western Kentucky really messed me up earlier today. I had Drake in the the sweet 16 :-[

UConn is the only teamI got in the sweet16 that lost so far >:(
Damm Clemson this is my rank
ยป manage my picks  1653/12598

Written By: loki 13 on 03/22/08 at 8:27 am

The 12 and 13 seeds killed me in the pools. who'd a thought 2 12's and 2 13's would advance. Being from the
Philadelphia area I have seen quite a bit of Villanova, who happens to be my favorite College basketball team, but
I don't think they should have even made the tournament let alone win the game. Someone should tell Clemson
that they play 2 halves in a game, the team couldn't buy a bucket in the second half.

Written By: ninny on 03/22/08 at 11:13 am

The 12 and 13 seeds killed me in the pools. who'd a thought 2 12's and 2 13's would advance. Being from the
Philadelphia area I have seen quite a bit of Villanova, who happens to be my favorite College basketball team, but
I don't think they should have even made the tournament let alone win the game. Someone should tell Clemson
that they play 2 halves in a game, the team couldn't buy a bucket in the second half.

I'm not sure why I didn't take 'Nova,I usually pick the teams from the Big East,but they had a up and down year.
Hopefully today will de better,I still have 14 of my final 16 left.
most recent rankings on Bodog  612/12599

Written By: loki 13 on 03/22/08 at 3:32 pm

I'm not sure why I didn't take 'Nova,I usually pick the teams from the Big East,but they had a up and down year.
Hopefully today will de better,I still have 14 of my final 16 left.
most recent rankings on Bodog  612/12599

That's not a bad ranking, I entered into a radio stations bracket game there isn't as many people in it but
I still like my chances. There I am 266/992 of course that will change after the Duke game. I knew Duke
was a fraudulent #2 seed but I had them winning 2 rounds.

Written By: loki 13 on 03/22/08 at 3:48 pm

I knew I would drop I'm now 306/992 but I'm not panicing yet. The pool I'm ion allows you to
view everyone elses brackets. the leader is only 5 points ahead of me and we only share 1 final
four team.

I had to look at the last person on the list. They only have 9 points and they have 3 teams in that
can reach the final 8 and no teams any further and here I'm pulling my hair out.  ;D

Written By: ninny on 03/22/08 at 5:48 pm

I knew I would drop I'm now 306/992 but I'm not panicing yet. The pool I'm ion allows you to
view everyone elses brackets. the leader is only 5 points ahead of me and we only share 1 final
four team.

I had to look at the last person on the list. They only have 9 points and they have 3 teams in that
can reach the final 8 and no teams any further and here I'm pulling my hair out.  ;D

So far I have 25 pts and the leader 29,Duke sucked for me I had them in the elite 8,I should of known better,I got Wisconsin in the 8,last I knew they were winning

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/22/08 at 8:11 pm

The Stanford-Marquette game was great, and it probably saved what's left of my bracket after all the upsets yesterday, and Duke losing today.

Now if only Kansas can finish off UNLV...

Written By: ninny on 03/23/08 at 8:04 am

Well I'm 392/12599,but I only have 37 pts the leader has 44,hopefully today will be better.

Written By: loki 13 on 03/23/08 at 8:20 am

Well I'm 392/12599,but I only have 37 pts the leader has 44,hopefully today will be better.

We must have identical brackets.  ;D

Written By: ninny on 03/23/08 at 8:43 am

We must have identical brackets.  ;D

;D,I got 2 the one I picked Memphis & the other Tennessee to go all the way.The one I picked Tennessee I'm 2nd in my division,but my world rank is 6916

Written By: loki 13 on 03/23/08 at 8:46 am

;D,I got 2 the one I picked Memphis & the other Tennessee to go all the way.

I also have two but I have Memphis as the winner on both.

Written By: ninny on 03/23/08 at 8:51 am

I also have two but I have Memphis as the winner on both.

With my luck it will probably be UNC

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/23/08 at 4:31 pm

Well, my bracket's gone to hell :D

Written By: ninny on 03/23/08 at 5:01 pm

Well, my bracket's gone to hell :D

Duke is the only team in my 8,so far that is gone

Written By: loki 13 on 03/23/08 at 5:34 pm

I lost Georgetown.  >:(

This is a strange year in the tournament. I have never seen so many teams go up by 20 or more points
in the first half only to lose the lead, or the game, in all my life. What the hell is up with these teams?

Written By: loki 13 on 03/23/08 at 6:22 pm

PHEW, man did I sweat that one out. I damn near lost the team I have winning it all.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/24/08 at 11:51 am

7 of my Elite Eight teams are still in the game.  Stupid Georgia didn't make it though, their luck totally ran out against Xavier.

Written By: ninny on 03/24/08 at 12:46 pm

7 of my Elite Eight teams are still in the game.  Stupid Georgia didn't make it though, their luck totally ran out against Xavier.

In my one poll I'm only out Duke. The other one I had Duke & Georgetown  in the Elite 8 and  >:( >:( Georgetown in the final 4.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/24/08 at 9:09 pm

I lost Duke and Georgetown. But, with all the upsets in the first and second rounds, I feel lucky just to have 6 of 8 right :-\\

Written By: La Roche on 03/24/08 at 9:11 pm

Am I the only person that hates Georgetown enough to have picked Davidson?

Of course, my Villanova - Xavier final is sorta.. kinda unlikely.  ;D

Written By: ninny on 03/25/08 at 6:12 am

Am I the only person that hates Georgetown enough to have picked Davidson?

Of course, my Villanova - Xavier final is sorta.. kinda unlikely.  ;D

OH I hate Georgetown ;D,but I was dumb and picked them

Written By: loki 13 on 03/27/08 at 8:26 pm

It happened again, Xavier was up by 18 in the first half and now they are headed to overtime.
Never in my life have I seen so many teams go up big in the first half only to forget how to play
or simply fall asleep and end up losing.

Edit to add:

Xavier won the game in O.T. but still, it shouldn't have come down to that.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/28/08 at 10:34 am

I missed everything :(  No CBS.

Maybe I should try to stream stuff off their Sportsline site.

Written By: La Roche on 03/28/08 at 11:54 am

N. Carolina to beat Louisville.
Villanova to beat Kansas. (In my fu*kin dreams!)
Wisconsin to beat Davidson.
Memphis to beat Michigan.
Stanford to beat Texas.
Xavier to beat UCLA.

This of course all leads up to my dream Villanova - Xavier final. I don't really care about the team, they just have far more interesting names than the other teams.

Written By: ninny on 03/28/08 at 1:01 pm

I had Tennessee to win one poll & the other one I had them as runner-up >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Written By: loki 13 on 03/30/08 at 7:15 pm

My final four is still intact, if things play out right I will win the pool I have have in work. There is
only 12 people in that pool though, it's not that impressive. My on line pool however has far more
people, 992, my current position there is 13th. Looking at the brackets of the people ahead of me
the best I can hope for is 3rd, 2 people ahead of me have identical points and identical bracket.

Written By: ninny on 03/30/08 at 9:40 pm

3 of my final 4 made it,I had picked Tennessee,my online I'm 2470/12600,somehow I don't think so.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/31/08 at 10:31 am

I only have Kansas and UCLA :P  I guess it doesn't matter though.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 04/05/08 at 10:04 pm

I had UCLA beating Kansas in the title game...at least I got that 1/4 right :D :D

Kansas and Memphis in the title game...Memphis has been very impressive.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/05/08 at 10:58 pm

I was surprised that both games turned into blowouts. I actually thought both of them would be good games. I had UCLA over Kansas in the final as well, so what's left of my bracket is pretty much toast ;D

Hopefully, the championship game will be good.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 04/07/08 at 10:50 pm

Kansas pulled it out in overtime.  Free throws are important!

Good game overall, guess the Kansas fans are vindicated in the post-Roy Williams era.

Written By: ninny on 04/08/08 at 12:58 pm

Kansas pulled it out in overtime.  Free throws are important!

Good game overall, guess the Kansas fans are vindicated in the post-Roy Williams era.

So true,of course I picked Memphis >:( :(

Written By: loki 13 on 04/08/08 at 8:39 pm

I had Memphis on two bracket pools. The one in work, with only 12 people, I won. No one could catch me
no matter the outcome of the game. The radio sponsored one, however, was a different story. If anyone has
read my "Feel any way" post in the PPP already knows this outcome. 992 people in that one with a $1,000
first prize up for grabs. I was #1 heading into the game and still #1 with 10.2 seconds in the game, man I wish
it ended there. Memphis embarrassed themselves in the final minutes of that game and it wasn't just the bricks
from the foul line. Clock management and failure to foul at opportune times cost them the game, and that falls
on the coaches shoulders.

Check for new replies or respond here...