inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: NHL Playoffs ROUND 1

Written By: skittlesking on 04/08/08 at 7:27 pm

My three favorite teams. . .did not make the playoffs this year  :-[ (St. Louis (Ouch), Tampa (Big Ouch), and Buffalo (By a hair))

That said, Here's my outlook on round 1 as I'm a hockey fan before a team fan!

1) Detroit Redwings VS 8) Nashville Predators
  As a diehard Blues fan, I can't help but root against the Redwings. . .but lets be realistic, I can't see the Predators knocking them out (not to mention, I'm not exactly a fan of the Predators).  These teams are not fond of each other, and though Detroit has bigger rivals, the Predators have a history of being a pest to them.  Dumont is the Predators best chance at a miracle, but Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Osgood, Hasek etc. . .I predict the RedWings take it in 5, but I am quietly rooting against my prediction

2) San Jose Sharks VS 7) Calgary Flames
  I can't say I'm shocked that either of these teams are playoff teams.  I am usually an underdog kinda guy, but I am a fan of Sharks goaltender "Nabakov".  Langkow and Iginla are the Flames keys to success, but the Cheechoo and Michalek baring Sharks I think will be too much, and both Langkow and Iginla can be contained, Sharks in 6, and it's also who I'm rooting for

3) Minnesota Wild VS 6) Colorado Avalanche
  I am a fan of both these teams (Minnesota's style and Colorado because they hate Detroit more than the Blues do)  Sakic, Foote and Foresburg make Colorado the best shot at an upset in the west, but Minnesota is stronger in goal (I'd take Backstrom to Theodore on any Fantasy Roster) and their defense is very stingy.  I'm going to take a risk and say Av's in 7, but I think this could (and I wouldn't mind) go either way

4) Anaheim Ducks VS 5) Dallas Stars
  Marty Turco will somewhat determine the Stars fate just as he did all season, where his Stars almost crashed outside the Playoff picture.  Neidermayer, Selanne, and Pronger are some of my favorite players, and I'm sorry Dallas but I think Anaheim will survive you if you play anything like you did the last month--though I'm not counting you out, I do think the Ducks will take this in 6

1) Montreal Canadiens VS 8) Boston Bruins
  There will be Bloodshed, Fighting, Biting, Hate, and so much more--we may see some hockey in there too.  This has to be the most exciting mash up in the first round, I loved watching these two face each other because of the passionate rivalry they have.  Kovalev and the mighty Canadiens should win this one--and I disagree with the experts, I don't think it will be close, I'll be rooting for Boston, but Montreal in 5

2) Pittsburgh Penguins VS 7) Ottawa Senators
  Well, Ottawa as the 7th seed just seems so . . .odd to me when they really dominated the first half of the NHL season.  Fleury is hot right now, and Crosby is a force to be reckoned with, but what impresses me about the Penguins is the drive that the players had down the stretch when Crosby was injured.  To win the division losing your biggest star for a quarter of the season says a lot about character, and depth.  Cory Stillman and Mike Commodore could make things interesting, but the Penguins are not the timid rookie like team they were last year, Pens in 5 and well deserved after being bad for so long might I add

3) Washington Capitals VS 6) Philadelphia Flyers
  Ovechkin has a lot to do with the Capitals remarkable march to the winning, but I am equally impressed by the Flyers turnaround from last to playoff berth this year.  I think this will be close, but the Caps are real hot, Caps in 7

4)New Jersey Devils VS 5) New York Rangers
  Rangers and Devils should be a bitter fight to the end. . .Brodeur is a fantastic goal tender, and I think the Devils are a better team overall, but the Rangers have momentum right now Shanahan and Jagr are ready, I think we could be looking at an upset, Rangers in 7

Subject: Re: NHL Playoffs ROUND 1

Written By: loki 13 on 04/08/08 at 9:00 pm

^ I must say, I'm impressed and for the most part I agree but I don't see the Sharks needing 6 games. If not
a sweep then no more than 5.

I would like to see the Penguins plan backfire on them, I think they lost to the Flyers in the final game just
to avoid playing them in the first round. Not because they couldn't beat them but because they didn't want
to get beat up by them. I still don't see them losing the series though.

The Capitals/Flyers series depends on Biron, He has been playing well in the final games and it has to carry over.
I have to say the Flyers in 7.

Devils/Rangers depends on what Ranger team shows up. The Devils are constant and Brodeur is...well....Brodeur.
The Rangers have a habit of playing too cute and as a result tend to cough up the puck. I wish both teams could
lose but since we know that can't happen.....Devils in 6

just one more thing to add:

Let's Go Flyers

Written By: Rice_Cube on 04/08/08 at 9:34 pm

I've been a Penguins fan because of Lemieux...so I'll root for them.

If they don't make it, I hope one of the Canadian teams can finally break the drought for the Great White North.

Written By: La Roche on 04/08/08 at 10:02 pm

Rangers FTW

Written By: nally on 04/08/08 at 11:10 pm

My top favorite team (the L.A. Queens I mean Kings) didn't make it again...due to a rather dismal season, but I have also been cheering for the Anaheim Ducks, who have made it again this year! Go Ducks!! :D

Written By: skittlesking on 04/09/08 at 11:48 pm

Day 1 of the playoffs is in the books, and three of four games went as expected for me. . .

New York Rangers 4, New Jersey Devils 1
Pittsburgh Penguins 4, Ottawa Senators 0
Colorado Avalanche 3, Minnesota Wild 2 (In OT)
Calgary Flames 3, San Jose Sharks 2

I don't expect too many more blow-outs in the Rangers/Devils series, I think the Devils were caught off guard, but the Rangers winning tonight came of no surprise to me.  Most impressive to me wasn't that the Rangers won handily, but that they did it with 4 different scorers. ..

The Pens dominated the Sens in every aspect of Game 1, and I expect the series to be much the same thing.  I feel bad for Gerber, he actually wasn't as bad as you might think, but Ottawa's defense was unable to contain Pittsburgh at all.  Congrats to Roberts on two goals

The first overtime game of the playoffs was between two teams I expect to battle to at least 6 games.  I predicted Avs, and they did win the first game in a nailbiter.  They seemed to have it well in hand after two periods, but they stood on their heels a little bit, and you can't do that against the battling Wild.  Joe Sakic bailed them out in overtime, and the Avs took home a victory in Minnesota, which could make a huge difference in the outcome of the series.

The only slight surprise for me was Calgary's rather convincing effort against the mighty Sharks on day one.  At one point leading 3 to 1, they have made it interesting pulling a game 1 upset, but I still expect the Sharks to win this series

1) Detroit Redwings and 8 ) Nashville Predators are tied 0-0

7) Calgary Flames lead 2) San Jose Sharks 1-0
Game 1: Calgary Won 3-2

6) Colorado Avalanche lead 3) Minnesota Wild 1-0
Game 1: Colorado Won 3-2 (OT)

4) Anaheim Ducks and 5) Dallas Stars are tied 0-0

1) Montreal Canadiens and 8 ) Boston Bruins are tied 0-0

2) Pittsburgh Penguins lead 7) Ottawa Senators 1-0
Game 1: Pittsburgh Won 4-0

3) Washington Capitals and 6) Philadelphia Flyers are tied 0-0

5) New York Rangers lead 4) New Jersey Devils 1-0
Game 1: New York Rangers Won 4-1

Written By: ninny on 04/10/08 at 5:39 am

I'm not sure who I want after the Sabres crapped out.

Written By: skittlesking on 04/11/08 at 12:03 am

Detroit Redwings 3, Nashville Predators 1
Montreal Canadiens 4, Boston Bruins 1
San Jose Sharks 2, Calgary Flames 0
Dallas Stars 4, Anaheim Ducks 0

Detroit won handedly against Nashville. . .I do expect Detroit to blow this series out, but I'm surprised Nashville didn't put up more of a fight, Zetterberg was hot this game

Canadiens manhandled the Bruins, this series should be much the same, where's the early season Boston I'm used to?  Thomas, you helped me a lot early on, what are you doing in goal?

Nabokov got a shut out, but the defense is really the story here, San Jose evened the series in commanding fashion

Dallas really made the Anahiem Ducks look like amateurs, I don't expect the whole series to go like this, wow.

1) Detroit Redwings lead 8) Nashville Predators (1-0)
Game 1: Detroit  Won 3-1

2) San Jose Sharks and 7) Calgary Flames (1-1)
Game 2: San Jose Won 2-0

6) Colorado Avalanche lead 3) Minnesota Wild (1-0)

5) Dallas Stars lead 4) Anaheim Ducks (1-0)
Game 1: Dallas Won 4-0

1) Montreal Canadiens lead 8 ) Boston Bruins (1-0)
Game 1: Montreal Won 4-1

2) Pittsburgh Penguins lead 7) Ottawa Senators 1-0

3) Washington Capitals and 6) Philadelphia Flyers are tied 0-0

5) New York Rangers lead 4) New Jersey Devils 1-0

Written By: nally on 04/11/08 at 12:15 pm

what a bummer :(

Written By: skittlesking on 04/11/08 at 10:39 pm

what a bummer :(

The good thing is, it takes 4 to move on ;)

Written By: skittlesking on 04/11/08 at 10:50 pm

The New York Rangers edged New Jersey 2-1 behind a strong outing by Lundqvist and goals from Jagr and Avery to take a 2 zip lead on the series, what makes this especially damning for New Jersey is the fact that it was in their home arena, now it shifts to Madison Square Gardens, and the Rangers fans are out in force for it.

In the regular season, you'll occasionally have a game where you allow more than 3 goals where you win.  In the playoffs such a habit is a good way to get a quick exit.  I guess then, it comes as no surprise that Ottawa is now two games in the hole to Pittsburgh after allowing an astounding 9 goals collectively in their first two games.  Gerber faced 54 shots!!!! 54????  That should NEVER happen.  Ottawa, WAKE UP, I'm beginning to wonder, how Ottawa held on to a playoff spot at all.  Pittsburgh dominating so far.

A wild opener in Washington led to a nail biter that was really much too free-for-all for both teams.  Ovechkin gave Washington a 5-4 edge to take a 1-0 lead over Philly in the series, but both goalies played sub-par for this one.  Green had two goals in this tilt, and Briere and Prospal's two goals each for Philly was not enough to beat Washington (though 4 goals could have really helped Ottawa :) )

Another overtime matchup in Minny, but this one went to them 3-2 evening the series at 1 game a piece heading to Denver, which is a very tough place to play.  Forsberg and Hejduk scored for Colorado in regulation, but Demitra and Koivu score for Minny in the Third--and Carney scored a thrilling early overtime goal to tie the series, this match is proving to be just as exciting as I expected.

1) Detroit Redwings lead 8 )Nashville Predators (1-0)

3) Minnesota Wild and 6) Colorado Avalanche are tied (1-1)
Game 2: Minnesota Won 3-2 (OT)

2) Pittsburgh Penguins lead 7) Ottawa Senators (2-0)
Game 2: Pittsburgh Won 5-3

3) Washington Capitals leads 6) Philadelphia Flyers (1-0)
Game 1: Washington Won 5-4

5) New York Rangers lead 4) New Jersey Devils (2-0)
Game 2: New York Rangers Won 2-1

Written By: loki 13 on 04/12/08 at 2:07 pm

A wild opener in Washington led to a nail biter that was really much too free-for-all for both teams.  Ovechkin gave Washington a 5-4 edge to take a 1-0 lead over Philly in the series, but both goalies played sub-par for this one.  Green had two goals in this tilt, and Briere and Prospal's two goals each for Philly was not enough to beat Washington (though 4 goals could have really helped Ottawa :) )

I thought Biron played well enough but the Flyers defense fell apart in the 3rd period. They had a solid game plan against Ocechkin
and company for 2 periods but failed to realize the game is 3 periods long.

A controversial play in the game resulted in a Capitals goal. Play was allowed to continue while PatrickThoresen lay on the ice in
obvious pain. I don't fault the refs for allowing play to continue because they didn't really know the seriousness of the injury and
the Capitals maintained possession of the puck.

The injury to Thorensen is another freak injury to happen to a Flyers player. A slap shot from Mike Green hit Thorensen in
the groin rupturing his testicle.....ouch!

Written By: skittlesking on 04/12/08 at 2:38 pm

I thought Biron played well enough but the Flyers defense fell apart in the 3rd period. They had a solid game plan against Ocechkin
and company for 2 periods but failed to realize the game is 3 periods long.

A controversial play in the game resulted in a Capitals goal. Play was allowed to continue while PatrickThoresen lay on the ice in
obvious pain. I don't fault the refs for allowing play to continue because they didn't really know the seriousness of the injury and
the Capitals maintained possession of the puck.

The injury to Thorensen is another freak injury to happen to a Flyers player. A slap shot from Mike Green hit Thorensen in
the groin rupturing his testicle.....ouch!

Personally, I think that when someone is injured play should halt regardless of who has the puck, so I agree.

I also think this particular series is going to be a long series.  Defense was awful in the third, I'll give you that, but allow three goals on 12 shots?  Defense starts with goal, both teams combined for just 49 shots (less than Pittsburgh had against Ottawa) and yet 9 goals were scored, that's only an 81.7% save percentage between both teams, that has to improve for either one to advance past round two, that said I think this game was just very wild as a whole and don't expect most the games to result in such a high score.

Written By: loki 13 on 04/12/08 at 7:42 pm

Good news, Thoresen's injury isn't as bad as first reported, he may even play tomorrow.

Question, can anyone in the East beat Montreal and can Montreal beat anyone in the West?

Montreal is making it look too easy, even when they make a rare mistake in front of the net Price
comes up big.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 04/12/08 at 8:48 pm

The rule is that unless the injury is immediately life-threatening, play continues until the attacking team loses possession of the puck.  It's been like that for as long as I can remember.  The officials simply won't stop the play unless someone looks like they got paralyzed or got their necks slit by a skate.

Written By: skittlesking on 04/13/08 at 1:16 am

I'm not one to harp on officiating, but Nashville is getting the short end of the stick a bit lately. . .still Detroit outplayed Nashville horribly, winning handedly 4-2

Montreal handed Boston 3-2 in OT, not nearly as easily as they did the first time, but taking a 2-0 lead nonetheless

Dallas is killing Anaheim, and It's a bit surprising, Dallas sandbagging a bit in the end of the season???

1) Detroit Redwings lead 8 )Nashville Predators (2-0)
Game 2: Detroit Won 4-2

5) Dallas Stars lead 4) Anaheim Ducks (2-0)
Game 2: Dallas Won 5-2

Game 2: Montreal Won 3-2 (OT)

3) Washington Capitals leads 6) Philadelphia Flyers (1-0)

5) New York Rangers lead 4) New Jersey Devils (2-0)

Written By: nally on 04/13/08 at 1:53 pm

It looks like the team I'm rooting for is halfway to having its goose cooked early :-\\ ::) :(

Written By: skittlesking on 04/13/08 at 11:48 pm

Philadelphia 2, Washington 0
Boston 2, Montreal 1 (OT)
New Jersey 4,  New York R 3 (OT)
Calgary 4, San Jose 3

I could keep analyzing, but it's very taxing. . .

1) Detroit Redwings lead 8 )Nashville Predators (2-0)

7) Calgary Flames leads 2) San Jose Sharks (2-1)
Game 3: Calgary Won 4-3

1) Montreal Canadiens lead 8 ) Boston Bruins (2-1)
Game 3: Boston Won 2-1 (OT)

3) Washington Capitals land 6) Philadelphia Flyers are tied (1-1)
Game 2: Philadelphia Won 2-0

5) New York Rangers lead 4) New Jersey Devils (2-1)
Game 3: New Jersey Won 4-3 (OT)

Written By: skittlesking on 04/15/08 at 12:22 am

Not that it's a surprise or anything, but it looks like the 2 seeded Pittsburgh is going to knock Ottawa out of the playoffs with ease, taking a 3-0 lead.  They won 4-1 last night with a strong performance by Fleury and goals from up and coming stars Crosby and Hossa, they are a force to be reckoned with, unfortunately--such an easy series often will lead to disappointment in Round 2, lets hope for the Penguins sake that is not the case this year.  They haven't won this series yet, but Ottawa hasn't even been able to make a realistic effort in beating the Penguins, let alone a 4 game come back, not gonna happen.  The collective score in this series?  Pittsburgh 13, Ottawa 4. . .that's embarrassing

Nashville will not be swept!  A 3 goal third put the Predators on the map with a 5 to 3 victory.  A rather poor outing by Hasek and a strong offensive showing by Nashville brings them to the table, and better officiating might I add.  I still think the Redwings have this series, but I'm glad that Nashville is fighting them and am still rooting for the Preds to somehow pull an upset (like the one back when 8 seeded San Jose took down President's Trophy Winning St. Louis, that was irritating, but it'd be cool to see this year)

ya have to feel bad for Jose Theodore.  Both Backstrom and Theodore played brilliant in goal last night, but a shorthanded goal by Rolston and then his assist on a Bouchard one in the OT would prove deadly for Colorado.  Minny takes a 2-1 lead on the series, all three games have gone into overtime, nail biters as expected.  Sakic and Koivu each had goals in this one too, both players are having mammoth efforts for their respective teams.

1) Detroit Redwings lead 8 )Nashville Predators (2-1)
Game 3: Nashville Won 5-3

7) Calgary Flames leads 2) San Jose Sharks (2-1)

3) Minnesota Wild lead 6) Colorado Avalanche (2-1)
Game 3: Minnesota Won 3-2 (OT)

1) Montreal Canadiens lead 8 ) Boston Bruins (2-1)

2) Pittsburgh Penguins lead 7) Ottawa Senators (3-0)
Game 3: Pittsburgh Won 4-1

3) Washington Capitals land 6) Philadelphia Flyers are tied (1-1)

Written By: loki 13 on 04/15/08 at 9:05 pm

I had nothing but good things to say about Alexander Ovechkin. The hockey world anointed Sydney Crosby
the second coming but I've always seen something different in Ovechkin. He could play a physical game as well
as a finesse game. He was an all around player. Crosby is an opportunist and can't be touched without fear of a
penalty. Ovechkin is also an opportunist -- but he creates his own opportunities by giving the body as well as taking
it. To me, he is the best player in the league but........

I have lost all respect for Ovechkin, the dive he took late in the 3rd period was ridiculous, I thought he was bigger
than that. I expect that from Darcy Tucker or Sean Avery but not Ovechkin. Come on Alexander play hockey!!!

Written By: MrCleveland on 04/15/08 at 11:20 pm

Columbus didn't make it again. They are now the only franchise not to be in the playoffs. I see that the Cleveland Curse bled into the Capital City of Ohio and the franchise may be in trouble.

The Cleveland Blue Jackets? Seattle Blue Jackets? Kansas City Blue Jackets?

Written By: skittlesking on 04/16/08 at 12:05 am

It's too bad also-because Cleveland/Columbus both are solid fan bases who are loyal through thick and thin. . .

Montreal 1, Boston 0 : Price's 27 saves along with a goal by Briesbois all but eliminated Boston, putting them on the brink 3 games to 1.  This series has not been as "all Montreal" as some may think, Boston is fighting, but Montreal is just too much for them.

Philadelphia 6, Washington 3 : Washington, Knock Knock . . .(Who's There) . . . Exit . . .(Exit Who) . . . Exit to the golf course you'll be using in a couple weeks if you don't get back to the 9-1 season ending play that you had last month.  Seriously. . .6 goals?  6?  Philadelphia is good, don't get me wrong, but you allowed 6 goals?  AND BIRON ONLY FACED 19 SHOTS???  Goaltending has not been a strong point in this series (well--Biron was good in game 2, but allowing 7 goals in the other 2 is a far cry from great)  2 goals from Briere and 4 from other players put Washington in a hole. . .this series is far from over though

Anahem 4, Dallas 2: Good news for Nally, the Ducks aren't roasted just yet!  Doubling up Dallas, after two lopsided losses as Anaheim showed brilliant resilence and Giguere became a real brick wall making 31 saves to win the game.  I give my star to him and a dose of reality to Turco . . .

San Jose 3, Calgary 2:  Um, Calgary. . .lesson on hockey, if you don't take shots--you can't score?  Nabokov only had to make 8 saves in this one. . .I have to be honest, Calgary seemed more like figure skaters today, you have to take risks and you can't let up against San Jose if you hope to pull an upset.  They've twice allowed a lead in the series to evaporate as San Jose evens it at 2 games each

Colorado 5, Minnesota 1:  Wow, I didn't see this coming.  Colorado had a lot of good puck moving and got goals from 5 different people, I haven't seen them dominate like this in a long time, and it evens the series.  If Theodore plays like this consistently, Colorado will be a very tough team to beat, Backstrom. . .I forgive you, because fantasy season is over --wheew

1) Detroit Redwings lead 8 )Nashville Predators (2-1)

2) San Jose Sharks and 7) Calgary Flames are tied (2-2)
Game 4: San Jose Won 3-2

3) Minnesota Wild and 6) Colorado Avalanche are tied (2-2)
Game 4: Colorado Won 5-1

5) Dallas Stars lead 4) Anaheim Ducks (2-1)
Game 3: Anaheim Won 4-2

1) Montreal Canadiens lead 8 ) Boston Bruins (3-1)
Game 4: Montreal Won 1-0

2) Pittsburgh Penguins lead 7) Ottawa Senators (3-0)

6) Philadelphia Flyers leads 3) Washington Capitals (2-1)
Game 3: Philadelphia Won 6-3

Written By: skittlesking on 04/16/08 at 11:07 pm

New York Rangers 5, New Jersey 3:  Taking a 3 to 1 series lead, it looks like the Rangers are about ready to put their upset in full.

Pittsburgh 3, Ottawa 1: Pittsburgh Completes their sweep of the Senators, that's one series down, and one series I got right on the winner, so far 1-1!

Nashville 3, Detroit 2: Not sure whats going on here, Detroit seems to forget they are playing in the playoffs every year in the first round, a little rusty are we?

1) Detroit Redwings and 8 )Nashville Predators are tied (2-2)
Game 4: Nashville Won 3-2

2) San Jose Sharks and 7) Calgary Flames are tied (2-2)

3) Minnesota Wild and 6) Colorado Avalanche are tied (2-2)

5) Dallas Stars lead 4) Anaheim Ducks (2-1)

1) Montreal Canadiens lead 8 ) Boston Bruins (3-1)

2) Pittsburgh Penguins eliminates 7) Ottawa Senators (4-0)
Game 4: Pittsburgh Won 3-1

6) Philadelphia Flyers leads 3) Washington Capitals (2-1)

5) New York Rangers lead 4) New Jersey Devils (3-1)
Game 4: New York Rangers Won 5-3

Written By: nally on 04/17/08 at 4:58 pm

I take it you're a fan of the Pittsburgh Penguins? ;)

Written By: skittlesking on 04/17/08 at 10:54 pm

I take it you're a fan of the Pittsburgh Penguins? ;)

Well I was certainly rooting for them in this series, but I plan on highlighting each winning team as series end as a form of congratulations.  I root for Pittsburgh though because I'm a fan of young teams building up, and Pittsburgh is exciting right now because they have passion many other teams, not the least of which is Ottawa, lack.

Written By: nally on 04/17/08 at 11:00 pm

Well I was certainly rooting for them in this series, but I plan on highlighting each winning team as series end as a form of congratulations.  I root for Pittsburgh though because I'm a fan of young teams building up, and Pittsburgh is exciting right now because they have passion many other teams, not the least of which is Ottawa, lack.

I see. That's good then. :)

For me, I have always rooted for my local teams in all professional sports (baseball, hockey, basketball, etc.), but since the team that is most local to me (L.A. Kings) didn't make it this year, I am cheering for the Anaheim Ducks (which are semi-local to me, given that Anaheim is close to Los Angeles), although they are down 2 games to 1 in their current series against the Dallas Stars. If they don't survive, then I'll find another team to cheer for in the next playoff round.

Written By: skittlesking on 04/17/08 at 11:10 pm

I see. That's good then. :)

For me, I have always rooted for my local teams in all professional sports (baseball, hockey, basketball, etc.), but since the team that is most local to me (L.A. Kings) didn't make it this year, I am cheering for the Anaheim Ducks (which are semi-local to me, given that Anaheim is close to Los Angeles), although they are down 2 games to 1 in their current series against the Dallas Stars. If they don't survive, then I'll find another team to cheer for in the next playoff round.

Well, the good thing is if the LA Kings are patient, they are going to be great in a few years, unfortunately, it looks like Anaheim is down 3 to 1, which I will post later when the last game is done, San Jose is looking like they may survive though, and Anaheim isn't out just yet.

Written By: nally on 04/17/08 at 11:14 pm

Well, the good thing is if the LA Kings are patient, they are going to be great in a few years, unfortunately, it looks like Anaheim is down 3 to 1, which I will post later when the last game is done, San Jose is looking like they may survive though, and Anaheim isn't out just yet.

Oh, did the Ducks/Stars play their Game 4 tonight? I haven't been following the NHL postseason very much.

As for San Jose, I'd be inclined to root for them, since they're a California team, albeit up north...especially since they're a fairly young team (I think they were an expansion franchise in 1991-ish?). But again, so are the Ducks (which were originally called the Mighty Ducks, just like a movie that had come out around that time).

Written By: skittlesking on 04/17/08 at 11:23 pm

Oh, did the Ducks/Stars play their Game 4 tonight? I haven't been following the NHL postseason very much.

As for San Jose, I'd be inclined to root for them, since they're a California team, albeit up north...especially since they're a fairly young team (I think they were an expansion franchise in 1991-ish?). But again, so are the Ducks (which were originally called the Mighty Ducks, just like a movie that had come out around that time).

Yeah they played game 4 tonight, and Dallas took it 3 to 1 which is also the series totals at this point.  They were the only team who's city came after their name "Mighty Ducks of Anaheim" instead of "Anaheim Mighty Ducks" and they were (fittingly) owned by Disney

Written By: nally on 04/17/08 at 11:31 pm

Yeah they played game 4 tonight, and Dallas took it 3 to 1 which is also the series totals at this point.  They were the only team whose city came after their name "Mighty Ducks of Anaheim" instead of "Anaheim Mighty Ducks" and they were (fittingly) owned by Disney

So the Ducks are one loss away from having their goose cooked, it seems. ::) Oh well, at least they won one game thus far. It's not over yet.

...and they eventually dropped the "Mighty".
The "of Anaheim" suffix also pertained to the Angels baseball team; after eight years of being called the "Anaheim Angels", the owner Arte Moreno decided to rename them the "Los Angeles Angels Of Anaheim", which didn't make a whole lotta sense, since two distinct city names were incorporated in the team's name. I didn't like that idea myself. ::) Right now I think they're just called the "Los Angeles Angels" (as they were when first enfranchised, back in 1961).

Anyway I should get going soon. Nice talking with you this evening, Dave! :)

Jeff

Written By: skittlesking on 04/17/08 at 11:56 pm

Philadelphia 4, Washington 3
Boston 5, Montreal 1
Dallas 3, Anaheim 1
Colorado 3, Minnesota 2
San Jose 4, Calgary 3

1) Detroit Redwings and 8 )Nashville Predators are tied (2-2)

2) San Jose Sharks lead 7) Calgary Flames  (3-2)
Game 5: San Jose Won 4-3

6 Colorado Avalanche leads  3) Minnesota Wild  (3-2)
Game 5: Colorado Won 3-2

5) Dallas Stars lead 4) Anaheim Ducks (3-1)
Game 4: Dallas Won 3-1

1) Montreal Canadiens lead 8 ) Boston Bruins (3-2)
Game 5: Boston Won 5-1

6) Philadelphia Flyers leads 3) Washington Capitals (3-1)
Game 4: Philadelphia Won 4-3

5) New York Rangers lead 4) New Jersey Devils (3-1)

Written By: skittlesking on 04/19/08 at 12:11 am

New York Rangers 5, New Jersey Devils 3.  A star studed, well rounded victory for the Rangers move them into round two, the first upset of the playoffs and that puts me at 2 for 2 so far, but there's 6 series left, I don't think I'll get so lucky with picking the winners by the end. The Rangers will either face Montreal (if Montreal wins, and Washington climbs out of a 3-1 hole to Philly) or Pittsburgh (who has already advanced to round two and will face either Boston, the Rangers or Washington)

Detroit Redwings 2, Nashville Predators 1.  Dan Ellis made 52 saves for Nashville, and it actually was horrifying seeing him lose after what was one of the best games he has ever played.  Meanwhile in the other end, Osgood (Detroit's back up goalie who is as good as Hasek in my opinion) only had to make 20 saves to shore up a series lead for Detroit.  Nashville's defense really dropped the puck here, it was disgusting, and Dan Ellis deserved more offensive support also.

Anaheim 5, Dallas 2: HEY NALLY, Anaheim staved off elimination, at least for now they are still in it, and they did so in commanding fasion. . .great game for Giguere too.

1) Detroit Redwings leads 8 )Nashville Predators (3-2)
Game 5: Detroit Won 2-1 (OT)

6 Colorado Avalanche leads  3) Minnesota Wild  (3-2)

5) Dallas Stars lead 4) Anaheim Ducks (3-2)
Game 5: Anaheim Won 5-2

1) Montreal Canadiens lead 8 ) Boston Bruins (3-2)

2) Pittsburgh Penguins eliminate 7) Ottawa Senators (4-0)

6) Philadelphia Flyers leads 3) Washington Capitals (3-1)

5) New York Rangers eliminate 4) New Jersey Devils (4-1)
Game 5: New York Rangers Won 5-3

Written By: nally on 04/19/08 at 12:17 am

Oh good...the Ducks still stay alive. I was watching part of the game earlier and saw that Anaheim was up 1-0 early in the game...I guess they held on to their lead. O0 Here's to hoping they can force a deciding game!

Jeff

Written By: skittlesking on 04/19/08 at 11:37 pm

Washington 3, Philadelphia 2
Boston 5, Montreal 4
Colorado 2, Minnesota 1

1) Detroit Redwings leads 8 )Nashville Predators (3-2)

6 Colorado Avalanche eliminates 3) Minnesota Wild (4-2)
Game 6: Colorado Won 2-1

5) Dallas Stars lead 4) Anaheim Ducks (3-2)

1) Montreal Canadiens and 8 ) Boston Bruins (3-3)
Game 6: Boston Won 5-4

6) Philadelphia Flyers leads 3) Washington Capitals (3-2)
Game 5: Washington Won 3-2

Written By: skittlesking on 04/20/08 at 11:41 pm

Detroit Redwings 3, Nashville Predators 0: Well the hope of an upset is gone, unfortunately this match put me at 3 for 3, Osgood was too much for the young Predators, but I have to say I am very proud of Nashville taking Detroit to 6 games and hope that they will be even better next year.

Calgary Flames 2, San Jose Sharks 0: What is it with Number 2 seeds in the NHL playoffs, historically it is the most common upset, and Calgary has forced a game 7 making that a distinct possibility this year as well. . .that's two series going to 7 games now.

Dallas Stars 4, Anaheim Ducks 1: Sorry Nally, but the Ducks are out, and it's my first missed prediction as well (that's 3 for 4 now) This upset also eliminates the defending Stanley Cup champions, and since Ottawa (the Eastern Conference Champs) have also been ousted, that means this years finals will be two new teams.  Dallas will face either Colorado (if Calgary wins their series) or San Jose (if San Jose wins their series)

1) Detroit Redwings eliminate 8 )Nashville Predators (4-2)

2) San Jose Sharks and 7) Calgary Flames  (3-3)
Game 6: Calgary Won 2-0

5) Dallas Stars eliminates 4) Anaheim Ducks (4-2)
Game 6: Dallas Won 4-1

1) Montreal Canadiens and 8 ) Boston Bruins (3-3)

6) Philadelphia Flyers leads 3) Washington Capitals (3-2)

Written By: nally on 04/21/08 at 12:13 pm

^yeah, i heard. :-\\ Btw, my username doesn't start with a capital letter.

I'll just cheer for the San Jose Sharks now...and hope they can put out the Flames.

Written By: skittlesking on 04/21/08 at 8:56 pm

^yeah, i heard. :-\\ Btw, my username doesn't start with a capital letter.

I'll just cheer for the San Jose Sharks now...and hope they can put out the Flames.

sorry nally

Written By: skittlesking on 04/21/08 at 9:00 pm

Montreal 5, Boston 0: Not the close game 7 you'd expect the way this series went, I guess Montreal got sick of the close games, and decided to take control, and apparently Boston missed the memo.  Was this a playoff game?  Well, Sorry Boston--hey have to be happy as an 8 seed taking the top seed to the max, but how do you force a seventh game and follow it up with THAT kind of performance?  Oh yeah, and that means I'm 5 for 6, though Boston almost proved me wrong.

Washington 4, Philadelphia 2: Meanwhile, Washington has tied up things in their series, bringing the series to a game 7--one of three this year--both those series will end tomorrow. . .and then I'll post Round 2!

2) San Jose Sharks and 7) Calgary Flames  (3-3)

1) Montreal Canadiens eliminate 8 ) Boston Bruins (4-3)
Game 7: Montreal Won 5-0

3) Washington Capitals and 6) Philadelphia Flyers (3-3)
Game 6: Washington Won 4-2

Written By: skittlesking on 04/22/08 at 11:50 pm

Round 1 is done, I got 6 of the 8 series correct on the winner (75%) . . .

Philadelphia 3, Washington 2 in OT: Congrats to Loki 13 on getting this one perfect, I got it right that it'd take 7 games, but I predicted Washington, but I can't say I'm sad that I was wrong.  Philly earned it all the way, fighting for every game they've won.  I also think this series may have prepared them for Montreal.  This also marks the first time I recall in recent history that both 3rd place teams were eliminated in round one by the sixth place teams (As Colorado in the west knocked out Minnesota). . .

San Jose 5, Calgary 3: Can't say I'm shocked that the mighty Sharks ended up winning this series, but I am surprised it took them 7 games to do it, good run by Calgary--you really exposed some flaws in the Sharks game plan and hopefully they will learn from it.  I don't recall recently both Number 2 seeds advancing either, this is normally where the big upsets in round one happen, the top two seeds from both conferences advanced, that's more unusual than many might think.

2) San Jose Sharks eliminate 7) Calgary Flames  (4-3)
Game 7: San Jose Won 5-3

6) Colorado Avalanche eliminates 3) Minnesota Wild (4-2)

1) Montreal Canadiens eliminate 8 ) Boston Bruins (4-3)
Game 7: Montreal Won 5-0

6) Philadelphia Flyers eliminate 3) Washington Capitlas (4-3)
Game 6: Washington Won 4-2
Game 7: Philadelphia Won 3-2 (OT)

Written By: loki 13 on 04/23/08 at 4:29 pm

Game 7 was the only game where the Flyers were outplayed throughout and still managed a win. I'll take it.  ;D

An open letter to Alexander Ovechkin:

Alexander,

When you first came into the league I thought you were the best player to play the game in a long while.
You played an older style of game, not afraid to take the body, play a hard as nails game, play through aches
and pains and still manage to score quite a few goals. Unlike Sydney Crosby, you played the game as it should
be, tough, hard nosed, not afraid to hit or be hit..... My type of player.

I must say, watching you in the playoffs I was really disappointed. Though I am a Flyers fan I still wanted to
see you play your best but I lost all faith in you. When did you pick up the diving skills? When did you start to
pull the Crosby cherry pick? That's not hockey, that's why I will never root for a team that has Crosby on it.
The down fall of the game is the Crosby type players and now my hero resorts to the tactics that take away
from the game.

I've been a hockey fan for 30 some odd years and I've seen quite a few greats play the game. I was ready to
put you among them but now I am reluctant. Please, for the love of the game, please go back to the way you
played during the season and leave the diving and cherry picking to the show boater.

Check for new replies or respond here...