inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: NHL Playoffs Conference Finals

Written By: skittlesking on 05/05/08 at 9:09 am

WESTERN CONFERENCE FINALS

1) Detroit Redwings VS 5) Dallas Stars

My Prediction here is Detroit wins it, probably in 6 games, Dallas has knocked off Anaheim and San Jose, both of which I predicted to beat Dallas (they are two of my three incorrect predictions), while Detroit has knocked out Nashville and Colorado, the later of which was in sweeping fashion.  I think Detroit may come out the cage rusty, but should ultimately win this series and head to the Stanley Cup Finals

EASTERN CONFERENCE FINALS

2) Pittsburgh Penguins VS 6) Philadelphia Flyers

A Pennsylvania battle in the East.  I think Pittsburgh is going to win this one, but it will take 7.  Pittsburgh has knocked out Ottawa and New York to get here, but Philadelphia has knocked out two division winners, and will need to knock out the last to get to the finals.  They took out Washington, the 3rd seed, and then knocked out the top seed, Montreal. . .their underdog status is now in question, should be an interesting series.

Subject: Re: NHL Playoffs Conference Finals

Written By: loki 13 on 05/08/08 at 8:13 pm

The task was just made tougher for the Flyers in this round. One of their top defensemen Kimmo Timonen is
out indefinitely with a blood clot in his left ankle. Timonen is pivotal in the Flyers defense, he will be missed.

Written By: skittlesking on 05/08/08 at 9:56 pm

Detroit 4, Dallas 1

Detroit takes a 1-0 lead in the series against the Stars

Game 1: Detroit 4-1

Written By: skittlesking on 05/09/08 at 10:53 pm

Pittsburgh 4, Philadelphia 2

Pittsburgh takes a 1-Zip series lead in game 1

The President's Trophy Redwings lead the Stars 1-nil as well

Written By: skittlesking on 05/11/08 at 5:37 pm

Detroit won Game 2 to take a two-zip lead over the 5th seed Dallas Stars

Meanwhile, Pittsburgh leads Philly 1-0 in their series as they were idle last night.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/11/08 at 9:50 pm

Go Penguins!

Written By: loki 13 on 05/12/08 at 4:12 pm

Go Penguins!

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/05/fudgeyou.gif  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/05/flipa.gif  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/06/mgwhore2.gif

The refs certainly want The Penguins and their Superstars in.  :P

Now all kidding aside, the Penguins are a better team and the Flyers are now without their 2 top defensemen so
it seems an impossible task for them to come back. The thing I think about this series is that the Penguins and the
Flyers are playing for the right to be embarrassed by the Detroit Juggernaut.

Written By: skittlesking on 05/12/08 at 4:16 pm

The Penguins beat the Flyers 4-2 in game 2

Looks like it's getting rowdy in here:)

Both series have 2-0 leads, Redwings lead the Stars two-nil as do the Penguins over the Flyers

But now the series switch to the underdogs homes (Dallas and Philly) can either team reverse their fortune in this round thus far?

Written By: skittlesking on 05/13/08 at 4:51 am

Detroit slaughtered Dallas in game 3, 5-2 which gave them a commanding 3 games to nothing lead in the series, one more and Detroit goes to the finals

Pittsburgh also leads Philadelphia 2-0 in their series.

Written By: loki 13 on 05/13/08 at 9:09 pm

There is no question that Pittsburgh is the better team but they are not really outplaying the Flyers
as much as the Flyers are beating themselves. 21 giveaways and 18 shots are not going to win hockey
games.

On a funnier note, the tradition in hockey is to not shave during the playoffs. Sydney Crosby better give it up
because that caterpillar under his nose just looks ridiculous.  ;D

Written By: skittlesking on 05/14/08 at 7:36 pm

Yeah, Pittsburgh won 4-2, they now lead 3-0

Can either team avoid an upset (Dallas or Philly) I hope so, or we are going to have a lengthy break between this round and the Stanley Cup aren't we?

Written By: skittlesking on 05/15/08 at 9:29 am

Dallas wasn't ready to go home just yet, taking a 3-1 victory, but they trail by that in the series, Detroit now leads 3 to 1

so Dallas staved off elimination, can Philly do the same?  They trail Pittsburgh 3-0 in their series, or will Pittsburgh sweep the Flyers?

Written By: skittlesking on 05/15/08 at 10:59 pm

Sweep me not said the Flyers, as they forced a game 5 with a 4-2 victory

Both Dallas and Philadelphia have the odds against them though as the series shift back to the home ice advantage teams Detroit and Pittsburgh.  Both are down 3 to 1 with 2 of the remaining 3 games away from home

1) Detroit leads 5) Dallas 3-1

2) Pittsburgh leads 6) Philadelphia 3-1

Written By: Onion on 05/17/08 at 9:19 am

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/stackley_cup_playoffs_underway

Mostly because I haven't seen hockey on TV since before the lockout...stupid cable.  Stupid Bettman.

Written By: skittlesking on 05/17/08 at 10:27 pm

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/stackley_cup_playoffs_underway

Mostly because I haven't seen hockey on TV since before the lockout...stupid cable.  Stupid Bettman.

That site is very. . .different. . .very very different. . .nice comedic poke on the sport though, it is rather sad that NCAA ranks ahead of it in viewership, though when they started getting into Poker etc I couldn't help but laugh

Anyhow. . .

Dallas 2, Detroit 1 as Dallas against staves off elimination, forcing a Game 6. . .meanwhile Pittsburgh leads Philly 3 games to 1 and will attempt to eliminated the Flyers tomorrow in Pittsburgh.

Written By: Penguin on 05/18/08 at 4:44 pm

Penguins win!

Now to see if Detroit really wants it :P

Written By: loki 13 on 05/18/08 at 6:09 pm

Penguins win!

Now to see if Detroit really wants it :P

Hiding under a guest moniker? Be careful what you wish for.  ::)

I have to commend the Flyers for a great season, they've accomplished far more than anyone would have thought.

Written By: skittlesking on 05/18/08 at 9:10 pm

As you guys have noticed, Pittsburgh stormed to the finals 6-0, we now await Detroit or Dallas, Right now Detroit leads that series 3-2. . .but Dallas is playing hard right now. . .

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/18/08 at 9:34 pm

GO PENS!! :D

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/18/08 at 10:51 pm

Hiding under a guest moniker? Be careful what you wish for.  ::)

I have to commend the Flyers for a great season, they've accomplished far more than anyone would have thought.

Sorry, too lazy to log in at the time.

I think Detroit will probably win the series, but whether it's in Game 6 or Game 7...dunno.  Coming back from 0-3 has happened before though.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/18/08 at 10:51 pm

The good news is that the Stanley Cup Finals will be mostly on NBC so I will FINALLY be able to watch some hockey this year!  :P

Written By: loki 13 on 05/19/08 at 8:30 pm

Sorry, too lazy to log in at the time.

I think Detroit will probably win the series, but whether it's in Game 6 or Game 7...dunno.  Coming back from 0-3 has happened before though.

Rice, I had someone else in mind who posted under the guest moniker. oh well, all is good.  ;D

I think Detroit, at least that's the way it looks, is too strong and skate too well for any team from the East no
matter who it was.  :P

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/19/08 at 8:47 pm

But it's the Penguins!  :D  And they have some pretty good goal-scorers too.  And a solid defense.  Should be closer than most people think.

Written By: skittlesking on 05/19/08 at 9:04 pm

With 17 minutes left, Detroit is up on Dallas 4-1, not to say that Dallas can't still pull out a victory and force game 7 but with that being unlikely

"Redwings VS Penguins", interestingly enough--that was my pre-season prediction, but not by pre-playoff prediction (I actually thought it'd be Shark-Penguins, with the Redwings doing their typical second round fluke that didn't happen)

I will make a prediction mid-week, but have to be honest, neither of these teams will go without a fight.  That's for sure.  It's a tough match-up

I view it as "Established Stars VS Rising Stars" in the Stanley

Check for new replies or respond here...