inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The NBA Final Four

Written By: tv on 05/20/08 at 4:16 pm

So its gonna be Spurs vs Lakers for the Western Conference Finals Matchup and the Pistons-Celtics for the Eastern Conference match-up.

I like the Spurs vs Pistons for the finals matchup myself.

Subject: Re: The NBA Final Four

Written By: tv on 05/22/08 at 11:46 am

I can't believe the Spurs blew a 20 point lead in Game 1 to the Lakers and Greg Popovich(the Spurs coach) says we got beat because Kobe got hot at the end of the game. A memo to Popovich-your team just stunk it up in the 4th quarter by only scoring 13 total points in the quarter. What happened to Manu Ginobili? He went 3 of 13 on field goals for the whole game? I mean Ginobili can't let a player like Sasha Vigiac(spelling) show him up like that.

I wonder if the Spurs didn't have 4 days off between Games 6 and 7 of the New Orleans would they have even won Game 7 against New Orleans? I mean 4 days off between Game 6 and 7 of a NBA playoff series is unusual to me or any NBA playoff series(between games) is unusual to me.

Over to the Pistons-Celtics series-Rasheed Wallace played horrible in game 1 against the Celtics and Chauncey Billups is still injured. Why is Chauncey even playing I mean I don;t think Rajon Rondo is gonna school Rodney Stuckey(the Pistons 2nd string point guard) that bad. I say let Stuckey play and let Billups sit on the bench with his suit on.

Written By: nally on 05/22/08 at 11:50 am

I'm glad the Lakers overcame their 20-point deficit and won. Now if they can go all the way...

Written By: haleym8826 on 05/26/08 at 1:47 am

Although the Lakers did lose game 3 it remains a 2-1 Lakers lead and the do not have to win in San Antonio, but San Antonio does have to win in LA.

In the East it was great to see the Celtics play like a team that won 31 games on the road in game 3, I would like to see them steal another game in Detroit although it is not very likely.  Once again the are in a similar situation to the Lakers, the don't need to win in Detroit to make it to the finals...the difference is Detroit has shown that they can win in Boston in the Post Season.

Actually posted by Big Nasty, using The Son's account ;)

Written By: Big Nasty on 05/29/08 at 5:13 pm

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/basket.gif
OK so who is up for an NBA style flashback to the 80's?
The role of the Boston Celtics Big Three of Mchale, Parrish, and Bird will now be played by Allen, Pierce, and Garnett.  The Coaching role of KC Jones will now be played by DOC Rivers.

The Western Conference cast of Showtime will no longer be played by Jabbar, Johnson, and Worthy they will now be played by a less talented group of Gasol, Odom, and Kobe.

Although the current versions are by no means as talented as the 80's version I think this series could be interesting.  I as a huge fan since the 80's am certainly looking forward to the series.  Even if by some miracle the Pistons are able to win 2 in a row and advance to the finals, it still remains an 80's throw back series.

My prediction is the Lakers win their 15th NBA Championship in 6 games and possibly a rematch next season.

Written By: tv on 05/29/08 at 5:41 pm

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/basket.gif
OK so who is up for an NBA style flashback to the 80's?
The role of the Boston Celtics Big Three of Mchale, Parrish, and Bird will now be played by Allen, Pierce, and Garnett.  The Coaching role of KC Jones will now be played by DOC Rivers.

The Western Conference cast of Showtime will no longer be played by Jabbar, Johnson, and Worthy they will now be played by a less talented group of Gasol, Odom, and Kobe.

Although the current versions are by no means as talented as the 80's version I think this series could be interesting.  I as a huge fan since the 80's am certainly looking forward to the series.  Even if by some miracle the Pistons are able to win 2 in a row and advance to the finals, it still remains an 80's throw back series.
My prediction is the Lakers win their 15th NBA Championship in 6 games and possibly a rematch next season.

Ok so if the Pistons win by some miracle lets see.. Joe Dumars will be played by Rip Hamilton. Isiah Thomas will be played by Chauncey Billups, Vinnie Johnson will be played by Rodney Stuckey, Bill Lambieer will be played by Rasheed Wallace and John Salley will be played by Antonio McDyess..sounds good to me.

Written By: Big Nasty on 05/29/08 at 6:00 pm

You know I forgot about the role of Pat Riley, which will be played by the great Phil Jackson...without the Hair Gel!

As a Basketball fanatic it is a win win for me whether it is Detroit or Boston.  I know if Boston lets it go to a seventh game, I think Detroit and their experience could win it in Boston.  It is critical for Boston to close out Detroit in game 6.

Written By: Big Nasty on 05/30/08 at 10:42 am

WOW, what a great game 5 between the Lakers and Spurs.  I give credit to the Spurs they put up a fight, down to the wire. I am half way to my dream of the Lakers vs. Celtics...Let's go C's!

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/30/08 at 3:57 pm

Hamilton is broken and Wallace is about to get his fiery butt suspended :P

Written By: Big Nasty on 05/30/08 at 5:37 pm

Well in my opinion RIP Hamilton got what he deserved.  If you look at the play he got hurt on he has his hand on the throat of Rondo (I think that is who it was) the injury occurs as Rondo breaks contact...of course no foul was called on Hamilton.  As for Sheed, you would think in such a big time series he would control himself.  Let's be real, has anybody ever seen a ref go back and change a call after it is argued by a player?  I never have and if it has happend it could not have been very often.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/30/08 at 10:23 pm

First time in like 20 years!  :o

Lakers at Celtics next Thursday!  ZOMFG!

Written By: tv on 06/01/08 at 11:44 am

Well in my opinion RIP Hamilton got what he deserved.  If you look at the play he got hurt on he has his hand on the throat of Rondo (I think that is who it was) the injury occurs as Rondo breaks contact...of course no foul was called on Hamilton.  As for Sheed, you would think in such a big time series he would control himself.  Let's be real, has anybody ever seen a ref go back and change a call after it is argued by a player?   I never have and if it has happend it could not have been very often.
Sheed was mad because Rondo didn;t get a foul call against Billups and the foul went on Billups. I agree Sheed should have been more in control of himself in that situation though.

On Rip Hamilton he was the Pistons best player this playoffs and he did carry them to that Game 4 win against Orlando in the 2nd round of the playoffs. Of course Rip Hamilton's performance that game got totally overshawdoed by Lebron James's "man jam" against the Celtics that night.

I think Pistons coach Flip Saunders might be given the ax this summer sometime. I mean the Pistons have gone to 3 straight Eastern Conference Finals with Saunders at the helm and no NBA Finals appearences to show for it.

Written By: Big Nasty on 06/01/08 at 10:07 pm

I agree there was a foul there that the Ref missed, it happens all the time and does go both ways.  Of course with last summers ref scandal, who knows.  I just think that the Rasheed thing is really getting old and tiring.  To illustrate that Refs call thing inconsistently see the final game of the Celtics and Pistons.  Rasheed thought he was fouled and got upset swinging his arms wildly and talk at the refs...No technical.  Then Perkins does the same thing and BOOM...he gets a technical. 

As for Rip, I thought he had a great playoff run and in fact did for the most part carry Detroit as far as they went.  Others just never gave him the help he needed consistently.  I also agree with you that Flip may need to start looking for work...Just DO NOT let Detroit hire Isiah Thomas, although he is a Piston legend, he did ruin the Knicks franchise for years to come.

Written By: tv on 06/02/08 at 4:08 pm

I agree there was a foul there that the Ref missed, it happens all the time and does go both ways.  Of course with last summers ref scandal, who knows.  I just think that the Rasheed thing is really getting old and tiring.  To illustrate that Refs call thing inconsistently see the final game of the Celtics and Pistons.  Rasheed thought he was fouled and got upset swinging his arms wildly and talk at the refs...No technical.  Then Perkins does the same thing and BOOM...he gets a technical. 

As for Rip, I thought he had a great playoff run and in fact did for the most part carry Detroit as far as they went.  Others just never gave him the help he needed consistently.  I also agree with you that Flip may need to start looking for work...Just DO NOT let Detroit hire Isiah Thomas, although he is a Piston legend, he did ruin the Knicks franchise for years to come.
Ah, Chauncey Billups played good too, I thought the Detroit backcourt played good in the playoffs but it was their front court play that killed them against the Celtics. I mean Tayshaun Prince just didn't show up against the Celtics.

If I were Detroit I would hire Bill Lambieer and give him a shot to coach this team.

As for Sheed the guy is a Hall of Famer I think but its time for him to get out of Detroit.

Rip is ready to lead this team. This is Rip's team now.

Written By: Big Nasty on 06/02/08 at 4:10 pm

I think Laimbeer would a good choice or even his old friend and Detroit Shock Assistant..Rick Mahorn.

Written By: Big Nasty on 06/03/08 at 10:42 am

Well, I just saw the flash on ESPN...it is official Flip Saunders has been fired!  Like we did not see that coming.  I know TV called in a previous post on this thread.  Now who will be named the replacement?  A lot of coaches would jump at the opportunity to coach a team that has made 6 consecutive Conference Finals. 

Written By: tv on 06/03/08 at 5:38 pm

Well, I just saw the flash on ESPN...it is official Flip Saunders has been fired!  Like we did not see that coming.  I know TV called in a previous post on this thread.  Now who will be named the replacement?  A lot of coaches would jump at the opportunity to coach a team that has made 6 consecutive Conference Finals. 
"Michael Curry" will be coaching this team next season. Curry was an assistant for the Pistons this season but he may have been an assistant for them before the 2007-2008 NBA season(I don;t though.) Curry also played on the Pistons and than Charlotte Hornets(now New Orleanns Hornets.)

Joe Dumars(the Pistons General Manager) said that nobody on the Pistons is untouchable: that means Chauncey, Rip, or Tayshaun could be traded. I hope Rip doesn't go anywhere because like I said he is ready to be "the guy" for this team. Rip showed the whole NBA and its fans alot during these playoffs. I like Chauncey Billups and I do look up to the guy but I think its time for him to go. Rodney Stuckey is this teams future point guard and Dumars knows that.

Subject: Re: The NBA Finals

Written By: nally on 06/11/08 at 3:46 pm

Lakers win and make a game five necessary!!! :D :D

Written By: Big Nasty on 06/12/08 at 7:59 pm

Neither team has really played to their potential.  As a Laker fan I think that Odom needs to get his crap together and help Kobe.  I also think that Pau Gasol is playing as soft as Coton Candy thus far.  I heard on ESPN the recommendation to bench one or both of these guys.  I want them to get it together but that would just be ludacris to bench those players. Game 4 starts now...let's go LAKERS!

Written By: Bobo on 06/12/08 at 10:32 pm

This is a very strange performance from the Celtics, having been behind by so much so early on, with four minutes left, they've just taken the lead. Quite a turnaround, even if, with four minutes left of gametime, they end up losing. And one of the biggest comebacks in the franchise's history, if I remember them saying that correctly..

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/12/08 at 10:39 pm

ZOMFG you just jinxed them.

Two minutes and change left...let's see if the Celtics have it in them or if the Lakers are the team of destiny.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/12/08 at 10:51 pm

I used to dislike Kobe, but now I think I hate Sasha Vujacic even more.  He just looks like such a little weasely tool :D

Written By: Big Nasty on 06/15/08 at 3:05 pm

As a Lakers fan I am at a low point right now.  Probably my lowest point since the Lakers Point GOD announced his retirement in 1991.  Of course I still have hope that just the Lakers pulled off such a huge comeback in game 4, the Lakers can make a history making come back in the series.

Written By: nupur on 06/16/08 at 10:44 am

He just looks like such a little weasely tool :D

yes!! my thought exactly

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/16/08 at 1:01 pm

Radmanovic is also a weasel.  Tall dudes need to go inside every now and then :P

Celtics can't keep going down 17 points in the first quarter and expect to win :P

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/17/08 at 10:25 pm

Holy buttkicking!  :o

Written By: Bobo on 06/17/08 at 10:50 pm

This has been an incredible performance from Boston, one of the most dominant performances in an important NBA game that I can remember watching. At least I can't jinx them this time!

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/17/08 at 10:55 pm

Talk about a dismantling!

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/17/08 at 11:05 pm

Paul Pierce = MVP.  I think Ray Allen gave him a run for his money though.

Subject: Re: The NBA Finals

Written By: nally on 06/17/08 at 11:12 pm

This has been an incredible performance from Boston, one of the most dominant performances in an important NBA game that I can remember watching. At least I can't jinx them this time!

I know :-\\

When I turned on the tv earlier and saw that the Celts had a 31-point lead in the 3rd qtr, I thought to myself: "Oh no, looks like the Lakers' goose is cooked." ::)

Oh well... they can try again next year, I s'pose. :-\\

Written By: nupur on 06/18/08 at 2:31 pm

well, i think this is a well-deserved championship win for everyone involved, especially paul pierce who has been with this team for so long and gone through so much; ray allen and kg who put away their egos for a common cause; danny ainge who put the whole team together; doc rivers whom everyone wanted fired a year ago; the owners, who are also committed celtics fans; and the fans in general (though i hate to include those bandwagoners). i will say, at about 2 am this morning, when everything had finally sunk in, i shed a few tears of joy. i am content.

Written By: tv on 06/19/08 at 1:27 pm

well, i think this is a well-deserved championship win for everyone involved, especially paul pierce who has been with this team for so long and gone through so much; ray allen and kg who put away their egos for a common cause; danny ainge who put the whole team together; doc rivers whom everyone wanted fired a year ago; the owners, who are also committed celtics fans; and the fans in general (though i hate to include those bandwagoners). i will say, at about 2 am this morning, when everything had finally sunk in, i shed a few tears of joy. i am content.

I am happy for Paul but its kinda of a hidden happy since I live in New Jersey. When the Red Sox play the Yankees or the Jets play the Patriots I have to root against Boston teams.

Oh yeah Doc Rivers outcoached Phil Jackson clearly. This is the 2nd straight time that Phil has gotten outcoached in an NBA Finals. Phil has gotten outcoached by Chuck Daly(Pistons-1990), Greg Pop(Spurs-2003), Pat Riley(Knicks-1994), Larry Brown(2004-Pistons),and Mike Dantoni(2 straight playoffs) but Doc outcoaching Phil? Never saw that one coming.

How did Phil get outcoached by Brian Hill of the Orlando Magic in the 1995 NBA Playoffs? Brian freakin Hill? Maybe I'll give Phil a pass on that one since Chicago didn't have a power foward like Horace Grant or Dennis Rodman for that year.

Written By: Big Nasty on 07/05/08 at 1:07 pm

This was for sure a difficult pill for a Laker fan such as myself to swallow.  I give the credit to the Boston Celtics, the clearly outplayed the Lakers.  I find fault with the play of Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom.  To me Gasol played the game like he was off in LALA land smelling flowers.  I felt as if he was softer then Cotton Candy throughout the series.  Then there is Lamar Odom who was spotty at best.  He was never consistent in this series.  I also feel as if it is unfair the heat the media gave Kobe for this.  If he had shot 30 times a game then it would have been he shot to much, since he tried to play team ball it is now he was not aggressive enough.  This is still a TEAM game, which is how the Celtics have played all year.  From a true Laker fan I congratulat the Celtics....see you next June!!!

Check for new replies or respond here...