inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Avram Grant sacked as Chelsea manager

Written By: Bobo on 05/24/08 at 1:12 pm

Well yeah. Everyone knew this was going to happen. Second in every trophy and that was still not enough. Grant leaves eight months into his four-year contract.

Full story here.

Subject: Re: Avram Grant sacked as Chelsea manager

Written By: Green Lantern on 05/24/08 at 10:51 pm

WOW ! I've yet to read the link. Was just casting my eye down the board topics ... and spotted this !

As one who barracks for Chelsea (no I'm not a TRUE fan ... but they ARE 'my' team ............. well !  :o

I was only reading the BBC pages the other day ... and still had the idea he might  be there next season !  Well, kinda understandably, Abramovich  is NOT prepared to settle for anything less than first .... after his investment.

I watched THAT match .... and for me ..... DROGBA ... is the total villain of the day. Yes, he may be a brilliant goalscorer ... but I won't be sorry if they get rid of him. For me ... he almost certainly cost them the cup. That pathetic tap on the face (barely kill a fly ? )  ... which saw him red carded. Come on ! Be hung for a sheep as a lamb, I reckon ! If you're gonna do that to the guy, you might as well punch his teeth out .... but to to what he did ... who the hell did THAT help ?  Hasn't REALLY expressed his anger, hasn't supported his team mates in the REAL goal. I've got no time for such hot-headed players. They're SUPPOSED to be professionals !  Had he not gotten sent off, I reckon he'd've scored where Terry failed. Jerk !  >:(

Written By: Green Lantern on 05/24/08 at 11:21 pm

Well, I've now read the various reports.  I agree, that Grant did a very respectable job, given the time he had / his background ... and at almost ANY other club in the UK ... he'd've been there next season. Well, I imagine he's gonna get a nice pay out, and so whilst sympathetic, he'll hardly be living on 'skid row'.

On the general point of red cards though. I mean ... come on ... think of the TEAM. If you (Prima Donna)  get sent off, you can no longer contribute ... they're down to 10 men ( or less, if more follow). So often, this changes the course of a game. I really want to see BOTH teams have ALL their men still on the pitch ... so that the result is as fair as possible / that you can say your team won fair and square. Whilst what Drogba did  ... strictly IS  a 'sending off' offense ... it seems a very harsh outcome ... given that 'Tevez' (?)  (Argentinian) struck me as quite a dirty player, instigated the whole event, yet he stays on the pitch ... and our man gets sent off ... for what to me, was such a petty bit of 'rule breaking'. But rules are rules .... even though various refs might have had a DIFFERENT interpretation (?).    :-X    :(

Written By: Bobo on 05/24/08 at 11:23 pm

As one who barracks for Chelsea (no I'm not a TRUE fan ... but they ARE 'my' team ............. well !   :o

Absolutely, so much coulda come from Chelsea's season and so little transpired. Of course when you're expected to win trophies every single year - and when your main competitors are being told exactly the same thing...

It's a hard job to deal with trying to please both managers at the same time, but then one has been in the same job since November '86 and one won't start a job until August... Dogbra's stupidity apart, at least we at United won our first ever important penalty shoot-out. I just wonder how much longer Abramovich is going to last, and if and when he leaves, whether Chelsea are going to go back to where they were before he came - mid-table obscurity.

Maybe I'm over-exaggerating with that last point, but still it's hard to believe these days that Chelsea would repeat a performance over the season as a whole that would see them finish as badly as they did in the Premier League's inaugural 1992-93 season, when they finished in eleventh place... such a position now for any Chelsea representative would be unthinkable.

Of course, with Gretna up north, we're already seeing what can happen when the only major cash source is being cut off. The team appear to be dying a slow and lonely death - although admittedly, the circumstances are ones with which I greatly sympathize - the poor health of Mr. Mileson.

The cut-throat world of business...

Written By: Green Lantern on 05/24/08 at 11:42 pm

Absolutely, so much coulda come from Chelsea's season and so little transpired. Of course when you're expected to win trophies every single year - and when your main competitors are being told exactly the same thing...

It's a hard job to deal with trying to please both managers at the same time, but then one has been in the same job since November '86 and one won't start a job until August... Dogbra's stupidity apart, at least we at United won our first ever important penalty shoot-out. I just wonder how much longer Abramovich is going to last, and if and when he leaves, whether Chelsea are going to go back to where they were before he came - mid-table obscurity.

Maybe I'm over-exaggerating with that last point, but still it's hard to believe these days that Chelsea would repeat a performance over the season as a whole that would see them finish as badly as they did in the Premier League's inaugural 1992-93 season, when they finished in eleventh place... such a position now for any Chelsea representative would be unthinkable.

Of course, with Gretna up north, we're already seeing what can happen when the only major cash source is being cut off. The team appear to be dying a slow and lonely death - although admittedly, the circumstances are ones with which I greatly sympathize - the poor health of Mr. Mileson.

The cut-throat world of business...

I didn't realise you were a 'United' supporter !  :-X  No ... I won't tell you they're the team I LOVE to hate (I'll keep that to myself  :-\\  ... NO !  I won't !    :P    :D    ;D ).  Well, if I didn't like them before the match ... what do you think  I think now !    >:(  ;D

About the only time I want them to win ... is when they are the ONLY British representative left in a competition ... OTHERWISE !  >:(

Still, partisanship aside, I will admit, they do play a very attractive brand of football. I hate that a friend who is a Man Utd. supporter ... seems to think that the points table doesn't lie, that the results don't lie (e.g .. European Cup/ Champions League) ... that Chelsea are a CLEAR second. To me .... M. U. have SHADED it. Yes .... no denying that in NAME ... M.U .  ARE champions ... but ... I don't think it's like they're head and shoulders / CONVINCING champions .... given Chelsea recently beat them in premier league ... and might so easily have won this cup ....

Well, sport can be cruel .... it's not a perfect world ... OR system.  :(

P.S. I dreaded the penalty shoot-out ... which I expected us to lose. Whilst Czech may be the world's greatest goalie, ... for me, that's in normal play.  He hasn't convinced me in the past, when it comes to penalties. I guess a BIG man ain't gonna get down so fast ?

Written By: Bobo on 05/25/08 at 4:14 am

I agree to an extent — and if we go back to 04/05 and 05/06 in which Chelsea won 95 and 91 points respectively, it's clear they crushed us — how can you argue with an 05/06 home table that reads Played 19, Won 18, Drawn 1, Lost 0?!

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/25/08 at 5:46 am

Are any of the players going to be sacked too?

Written By: Bobo on 05/25/08 at 6:31 am

I hope so. Muahaha.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/25/08 at 6:40 am

Not lets us look at the Chelsea Website....

...their trophy cabinet?

Written By: Bobo on 05/29/08 at 12:22 pm

And Henk ten Cate has swiftly followed Grant out the door...

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/29/08 at 12:35 pm

And Henk ten Cate has swiftly followed Grant out the door...
...a season will beginning with new staff.

Written By: Bobo on 05/29/08 at 12:52 pm

I have to go to work tomorrow and the guy I spend the whole day with is a hardcore Chelsea fan. I think we will not be on speaking terms..!

Written By: Green Lantern on 05/29/08 at 6:17 pm

I have to go to work tomorrow and the guy I spend the whole day with is a hardcore Chelsea fan. I think we will not be on speaking terms..!

A pathetic reaction on HIS part.  As a Chelsea fan myself, Bobo, let me just say

Check for new replies or respond here...