inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Real America's Team

Written By: Big Nasty on 05/29/08 at 5:27 pm

I myself am curious as to who took the poll and claimed the Dallas Cowboys as Americas Team.  I have decided to use this forum to conduct my own poll and see what the people have to say about it.  I listed all 32 NFL teams to give each team a fair chance at this.  I welcome any comments to support your team being designated as Americas Team.

I am from Washington, D.C. area so of course I grew up a Redskins fan.  I have to say I vote for them because they represent the Capital of these United States of America. They also have a rich winning history in the NFL (although not recently, Thank you Mr. Snyder)

Subject: Re: The Real America's Team

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/29/08 at 5:32 pm

I will go with the NY Giants, even though they're really in New Jersey :P

Written By: Tam on 05/29/08 at 7:20 pm

Even though I am a fan of The Baltimore Ravens, I had to choose America's Team to be The Green Bay Packers.

Why?

"The Green Bay Packers have won twelve league championships (more than any other team in the NFL) including nine NFL Championships prior to the Super Bowl era and three Super Bowl victories in 1967 (Super Bowl I), 1968 (Super Bowl II) and 1997 (Super Bowl XXXI)."

Written By: loki 13 on 05/29/08 at 7:53 pm

I had to choose the Eagles. Philadelphia; America's birthplace, The foundation of liberty.

Dallas was chosen as America's team in the early 80's simply because they sold more merchandise overseas than
any other team in the NFL. They gave themselves the name, no one else did.

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/30/08 at 9:39 am

I had to choose the Eagles. Philadelphia; America's birthplace, The foundation of liberty.

Dallas was chosen as America's team in the early 80's simply because they sold more merchandise overseas than
any other team in the NFL. They gave themselves the name, no one else did.

Your assesment of the Cowboys is correct.  The cheerleaders certainly helped.

Written By: Big Nasty on 05/30/08 at 10:39 am

The Cowboys as "America's Team" thing is like some weird sort of brain washing.  I am stationed here in Texas and people here really think the Cowboys have some title that makes them the most popular team in America or something.  My theory is that if there was a poll for America's Team, then only Texas voted! LOL

Written By: La Roche on 05/30/08 at 11:54 am

I will go with the NY Giants, even though they're really in New Jersey :P

Exactly.

Think about it, there are more people in the area, more prospective fans, plus right now there are a lot of people that jump on the bandwagon. One could make the argument that it changes with every new Champion. One things for sure, with Pacman Jones and T.O on the same team, The Cowboys are well on their way to becoming the prison populations team.

Written By: Tia on 05/30/08 at 12:00 pm

someone's gotta stick up for the houston texans.

Written By: ninny on 05/30/08 at 2:06 pm

Can I vote for my team for being America's biggest chumps.The Buffalo Bills,I love them but oh what heartache they have brought me.
My serious vote..I voted for the Packers.

Written By: Big Nasty on 05/30/08 at 5:40 pm

You know the Cowboys 90's run was impressive, and it was also smeared with criminal activity such as drug use and prostitution (please see Leon Lett, Deion Sanders, and Michael Irvin).  So it makes sense that the more criminal the Cowboys team the better they play...

Written By: Indy Gent on 06/29/08 at 2:31 pm

I picked New England, at least they're the American media's team. Ever since Tapegate and the Super Bowl, you almost forget there are 31 other teams if you don't live near an NFL city. All I hear is the Pats, Brady, and Belichek.

Written By: tv on 07/03/08 at 2:17 pm

I picked New England, at least they're the American media's team. Ever since Tapegate and the Super Bowl, you almost forget there are 31 other teams if you don't live near an NFL city. All I hear is the Pats, Brady, and Belichek.
Ha! A Colts fan saying the Patriots are America's team? The irony!

I gotta go with the Jets. I mean to me the Jets have alot tradition with Joe Willie Namath and the Jets have alot of fans.

Forget the Cowboys and the Radiers. I don;t hate the Raiders as a Jet or a Giant fan but Al Davis has messed up that organization too much. He's a poor man's George Steinbrenner ever since the Raiders won their last Super Bowl in 1983.

I can;t stand the Cowboys for some reason even though Terrell Owens has finally grown up.

Written By: tv on 07/03/08 at 2:20 pm

You know the Cowboys 90's run was impressive, and it was also smeared with criminal activity such as drug use and prostitution (please see Leon Lett, Deion Sanders, and Michael Irvin).  So it makes sense that the more criminal the Cowboys team the better they play...
I wasn;t aware of Deion's criminal activity. Deion's just a guy you canlt ignore because of his primetime image. I liked Michael Irvin on ESPN during football season and than ESPN fired him.

Written By: tv on 07/03/08 at 2:24 pm

Exactly.

Think about it, there are more people in the area, more prospective fans, plus right now there are a lot of people that jump on the bandwagon. One could make the argument that it changes with every new Champion. One things for sure, with Pacman Jones and T.O on the same team, The Cowboys are well on their way to becoming the prison populations team.
No, TO's problems were on the field not off it like Pacman's were. TO was(as in 2000 mid 2006 pre-Tony Romo) a different guy off the field I mean he went to speak in front of congress because of his Mom;s illness I think.

Written By: Max Power on 07/04/08 at 3:21 pm

I wasn;t aware of Deion's criminal activity. Deion's just a guy you canlt ignore because of his primetime image. I liked Michael Irvin on ESPN during football season and than ESPN fired him.

Don't forget Deion played baseball as well though his baseball career wasn't that great but he did came close becoming the first player to win both SB and WS.

Check for new replies or respond here...