inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: NBA CHAMPIONS!

Written By: Big Nasty on 05/31/08 at 12:34 am

So now that the two teams have been decided in two grueling, hard fought Conference Finals...Who will win it all?  Will Boston capture Championship number 17, after over 20 years?  Will Kobe join Shaq by winning his 4th ring and first without the Big Fella?  Please cast your vote and give an explanation of your choice...

Subject: Re: NBA CHAMPIONS!

Written By: Big Nasty on 05/31/08 at 12:48 am

First, LA is a playoff proven team, with some Championship experience.  Second, LA just needs to steal one in Boston to make Boston need a road win, which has not been easy for them this Post Season.  Three the format actually favors the team without home court...Game 1 and 2 are in Boston, Games 3-5 are in LA, and 6 and 7 are in Boston.  So if LA steals game 1 or 2 the can go to LA tied with the next three on their home floor.  This format is only in the NBA Finals. 

As for the match-ups, Rondo/Fisher...I give to Fisher just based on playoff experience and grit.
                               Pierce/Odom...This is interesting if it is this match-up, I give the edge to PP just because he is a much better all around offensive weapon.
                               Gasol/Perkins...Perkins has played with some heart and given Boston some good minutes but the reason LA is here is truly the Gasol trade.  Look for Gasol to win this match-up.
                               KG/does it even matter...This is the past MVP's match-up regardless of who the Laker's send at him.
                               Kobe/Allen...This is a great match-up if Allen continues to rediscover his stroke from outside.  Kobe can score at will and will likely get Allen tired when Allen is on Defense.  The edge here is to Kobe, but look for Allen to make some big shots.

Phil/Doc...Phil is the pr oven winner so there is no question here.  I do give DOC some credit for getting this team here.  But how much coaching is he really doing with a team that features the BIG 3, and Sam I Am coming off the bench?

I HAVE THE LAKERS WINNING THIS THING IN 6 GAMES!

Written By: just got up on 05/31/08 at 8:49 am

Boston beat LA at home on 11/23, 107-94.  The other meeting, on 12/30, Boston beat LA at the Staples Center, 110-91.  But that was before they got Pau Gasol.  Who knows?

I think it'll go seven games.  No clue who will win.

Written By: ninny on 05/31/08 at 9:20 am

I hope Boston,but I think it all depends on the play of Rondo & Allen..and for the lakers Odom & Gasol have to have good games.

Written By: Tam on 05/31/08 at 11:56 am

I say the Celtics are going to take it in 5 games!

Written By: nally on 05/31/08 at 12:19 pm

I hope my team does it, but given what happened between these teams during their meetings in the regular season, I can't be too sure.

Written By: MrCleveland on 06/01/08 at 7:51 am

I don't like either of them.

Written By: Big Nasty on 06/01/08 at 10:17 pm

Mr. Cleveland, let me guess you are a Cleveland fan?  They had a great year.  I think the just need a piece or two and they will bring a championship to Cleveland of some type...you guys could use it. Of course my home team is the Washington Bullets/Wizards!

Written By: MrCleveland on 06/02/08 at 11:58 am

Mr. Cleveland, let me guess you are a Cleveland fan?  They had a great year.  I think the just need a piece or two and they will bring a championship to Cleveland of some type...you guys could use it. Of course my home team is the Washington Bullets/Wizards!

I've been trying to boycott Cleveland sports as much as I can, The Indians have the worst batting average ever right now.

And I call myself 'Cleveland' because the way things are going on my life. :(

Written By: Big Nasty on 06/02/08 at 12:01 pm

Oh, I get it now, I mean the reason behind the name.  It must be a Cleveland thing for rotten luck.  Even the character on Family Guy named Cleveland is unlucky.

Written By: tv on 06/02/08 at 4:12 pm

I actually would like to see Paul Peirce get a ring because he was there when the Celtics totally sucked last year. Also, Pierce has been with with the Celtics for 10 years and no ring.

Written By: Big Nasty on 06/02/08 at 4:17 pm

I am a little biased just cause I grew up liking LA.  I think it would be great for Paul to get a ring in Boston.  Like you said he did suffer through some bad seasons and could have demanded a trade or took more money as a free agent like so many athletes do these days.  So, do I want Boston to win, not at all. However, if they do I will be happy for The Big Three.  I will also have to buy my wife Tam a $150.00 purse cause we made a bet on the finals...LOL

Written By: nally on 06/02/08 at 6:23 pm

I am a little biased just cause I grew up liking LA. 

Me too; I've always liked my local teams in all pro sports.

I think it would be great for Paul to get a ring in Boston.  Like you said he did suffer through some bad seasons and could have demanded a trade or took more money as a free agent like so many athletes do these days.  So, do I want Boston to win, not at all. However, if they do I will be happy for The Big Three.  I will also have to buy my wife Tam a $150.00 purse cause we made a bet on the finals...LOL

we'll see what happens ;)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/08/08 at 11:19 pm

Way to almost choke it away, Boston!  :P

Written By: Big Nasty on 06/09/08 at 10:15 am

Boston may have won the game but they did screw up.  Now LA has huge confidence from that big comeback in game 2.  The next three are in LA and we now how Boston has rolled on the road in the Post Season.  I know they were awesome on the road in the regular season but LA will be rocking.

Written By: Wolveroses on 06/09/08 at 9:30 pm

I hate the Lakers so the Celtics.

Written By: Big Nasty on 06/12/08 at 8:03 pm

I am unable to understand the hate for the Lakers.  It is funny as a long time Laker fan I remember back during the 80's edition of this rivalry it was the Celtics that everybody hated because they were "boring".  What a strange twist.

Check for new replies or respond here...