inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Jamaican Usain Bolt sets new 100m world record

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/01/08 at 7:00 am

From BBC News Online

Jamaican Usain Bolt breaks the 100m world record with a time of 9.72 seconds in New York.

Subject: Re: Jamaican Usain Bolt sets new 100m world record

Written By: Bobo on 06/01/08 at 9:31 am

I was just about to post this, this is great news. He says he can go even faster and that we'll soon be down to the Holy Grail of 9.69 seconds. Which apparently was run by the great Obadele Thompson in 1996, but with one of the biggest tail winds I've ever seen registered.

And to think that by the rules of the sprints, you can't move until a tenth of a second after the pistol fires, to think he spent, at the very most, 9.62 seconds actually running, is incredible. It would be interesting to see what his reaction time from the start blocks actually was, and to effectively subtract this from the time.

Written By: Bobo on 06/01/08 at 10:02 pm

Actually, I hadn't realized - according to this video, the time was rounded up from 9.71 seconds. Scary.

Written By: Big Nasty on 06/01/08 at 10:31 pm

Is this guy still a Collegian?  I have not seen the video but I watched a kid from Jamaica race in the Big 12 Championships just a bit back and he was pretty fast in the 100m as well as the 200m.

Written By: Big Nasty on 06/01/08 at 10:38 pm

I was wrong I was thinking of Gerald Phiri from Texas A&M.  I did watch the video and wow, he blew those guys away.

Written By: Bobo on 06/02/08 at 5:58 am

On a slight tangent, it's interesting to see how news very much affects what people view on Wikipedia. Of course it helps with his name having been on the Main Page, but over the last three hours (the most up-to-date measurements) Bolt's name is the sixth-most commonly accessed article on Wikipedia.

Alas, we should also note what is at number 13..!

Check for new replies or respond here...