inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Top 10 Superbowl moments

Written By: Dude111 on 06/25/08 at 12:23 am

from ESPN.com page 2's "100 GREATEST SUPER BOWL MOMENTS":

Vinatieri II

Super Bowl XXXVIII: A game that started out as a colossal bore -- no points were scored in the first 27 minutes -- ends with a wild, 37-point fourth quarter. After the Panthers tie the game at 29 with 1:08 left, Tom Brady takes over on the 40 after a shanked kickoff and leads the Patriots into field-goal range. Adam Vinatieri, the hero from two years before, had missed a kick and had one blocked earlier in the game, but comes through again in the clutch, nailing a 41-yarder with four seconds left for a 32-29 victory.

Elway goes airborne 

Super Bowl XXXII: On third-and-6 from the 12-yard line of a 17-17 game, John Elway drops back to pass but can't find an open receiver. He scrambles right, running hard and fast toward the first-down marker. He is almost there when he absorbs a shot from Packers' safety LeRoy Butler and goes helicoptering through the air, where he takes another hard hit from Mike Prior -- but lands for a first down. Lesser men would have taken a breather, but Elway jumps up, pumping his fists. "As soon as I saw John do that, I knew the game was ours," says Denver's Terrell Davis, who scores the go-ahead TD two plays later in a 31-24 Broncos' victory.

And the breast is history

Super Bowl XXXVIII: Hey, if this list was re-named "most memorable" Super Bowl moments instead of "greatest" this may top the list -- for better or worse. Janet Jackson's halftime show goes, umm, astray when Justin Timberlake helps initiate the infamous wardrobe malfunction. MTV, which produced the show, says its was punk'd by Jackson and Timberlake. The FCC goes nuts. CBS is embarrassed. The two pop stars issue an apology. And somehow, life went on.

Gassing up the Diesel

Super Bowl XVII: Facing fourth-and-1 at the Miami 43 and trailing 17-13 with 10:10 remaining in the game, Joe Gibbs decides to go for it. Out of the I formation, the give is to John Riggins on a play called '70 chip.' Washington had run that play often throughout the season, but it surprises the Dolphins defense, which is caught out of position. A great block by Hog Rick Walker opens the door for Riggins, who breaks a tackle by Don McNeal and goes all the way for the TD. The Redskins take the lead and win 27-17.

Swann's magical game (take III) 

Super Bowl X: Lynn Swann's signature grab in his MVP performance comes late in the second quarter with the ball on the Dallas 10-yard line. Swann goes deep, covered like glue by Cowboys' corner Mark Washington. Terry Bradshaw throws it up; and Swann leaps higher than seems possible, over Washington, and, without taking his eyes off the ball, begins to reel it in. He bobbles it, but holds on for a 53-yard gain, the most spectacular, acrobatic catch in Super Bowl history.

Joe gives 'em the finger 

Super Bowl III: Before the game, Joe Namath had predicted a Jets' victory even though the Colts were 18-to-20-point favorites. He leads the Jets to a 16-7 win, of course. But the most indelible image of Super Bowl III comes as Namath leaves the field, holding his index finger high in the air. We wouldn't hear Joe say a word until he got to the locker room, but that single gesture says it all.

Wide right

Super Bowl XXV: One of the greatest Super Bowls ever ends in the most dramatic of fashions. With the Giants leading 20-19, the Bills take over with 2:16 remaining and the ball on their own 10. Jim Kelly needs about 60 yards to get into Scott Norwood's field-goal range -- Norwood's longest of the season was 48 yards. Buffalo gets down to the 29 with eight seconds left, and all eyes are on Norwood as he lines up for a 47-yarder. Players on both sidelines pray. And Norwood booms it -- plenty of distance, but wide to the right.

Vinatieri I

Super Bowl XXXVI: With the Patriots and Rams locked in a 17-17 tie, Tom Brady drives the Pats downfield -- the key play being a 23-yard pass to Troy Brown that gives ultra-cool kicker Adam Vinatieri a 48-yard shot with seven seconds left. Vinatieri splits the Superdome uprights as time expires.
"When Adam hit it, it was so true," Patriots coach Bill Belichick says. "It was so high and so far. If you want a guy to make a play at the end of the game, he's the one." The 14-point underdog Pats had their first NFL title. 

One yard short 

Super Bowl XXXIV: The Rams are leading 23-16, but Steve McNair drives Tennessee down to the St. Louis 10 with six seconds left. Time for one play. McNair passes to wide receiver Kevin Dyson on a slant. Dyson catches it at the 3, takes a step, and then takes a solid hit from Rams linebacker Mike Jones at the 2. Jones makes a great play, peeling off another receiver at the last second to cover Dyson.
"When he (Jones) got his hands on me, I thought I was going to break the tackle," Dyson says. "But he got my foot, tripped me up and wrapped up nice. That's what he's supposed to do. That's his job." Dyson's last-ditch effort to stretch his arm, Gumby-like, into the end zone, falls short.

Montana to Taylor

Super Bowl XXIII: In their first Super Bowl in four years, the 49ers had scored just one touchdown and trail the Bengals 16-13 when they take possession at their own 8 with 3:10 left on the lock. With Joe Montana calling the plays, the Niners march down to the Cincinnati 10.

Now down to their final 39 seconds, the Niners run a pass play. Halfback Roger Craig, the primary receiver, is double-covered. But John Taylor, a wide receiver, breaks loose deep in the end zone. Montana fires to Taylor for the latest game-winning TD in Super Bowl history as the 49ers win, 20-16.

Your thoughts?

Subject: Re: Top 10 Superbowl moments

Written By: Davester on 06/25/08 at 12:30 am

No Ghost to the Post..?

From Wiki:

"A significant play in NFL history. It refers specifically to a 42-yard pass from Ken Stabler to Dave Casper, nicknamed "The Ghost", that set up a game tying field goal in a double-overtime playoff game played between Casper's Oakland Raiders and the then-Baltimore Colts on December 24, 1977. Casper also caught the last pass of the game, a 10-yard touchdown pass. The game was the third-longest game in NFL history, and has become synonymous with the play that made it famous.

To this date, the game is still the third longest in NFL history. The game marked the last playoff appearance for the Baltimore Colts, who would abandon the city and move to Indianapolis in 1984. The Raiders would go on to lose the AFC championship game that year to the Broncos 20-17.  NFL Films has released a film of the game as one of the most memorable in NFL history. Hall of Fame coach John Madden has called the moment one of the most memorable of his coaching career. Dave Casper has been named one of the best Tight Ends in NFL History, and this catch is cited as the most memorable in his career."

I goofed.  You said Superbowl Moments, not playoff moments...

Still...Janet Jackson's pastie..?!? ::)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/26/08 at 10:56 pm

I've seen about 20 Super Bowls, so some of the earliest moments were before my time, but the most memorable moment for me was Adam Vinatieri's first SB winning kick or "Vinatieri I".

On the day of Super Bowl XXXVI we were in the process of moving into a new house and some of our stuff was already there, but the cable service hadn't been installed yet. So, me and my dad were forced to watch the game sitting on floor of the living room with the television set also sitting on floor just next to us. The Patriots were 14 point underdogs and we both sure they were going to get beaten badly, but it turned out to be one heck of a game down to last play. Even the half-time show was pretty good.

That was the last thing we watched in that house before moving out for good, and after 12 years of watching Summerall and Madden on Sunday afternoons there, it almost seemed kind of fitting for there last game together to end in such a memorable way.

Written By: Big Nasty on 07/05/08 at 1:11 pm

I am a Redskins fan, so I have to go with the merciless beating we gave the Denver Broncos.  The funny thing is whatever happend to Timmy Smith who set the record for ruching in a Super Bowl, only to fade into obscurity.  Then what about Super Bowl MVP Doug Williams, who was hurt falling from a treadmill after his trip to Disney World?  These facts aside the second quarter of that Super Bowl was a work of art and truly a GREAT SUPER BOWL moment!

Written By: MrCleveland on 07/16/08 at 1:37 pm

Super Bowl XLII

Not Perfect

The New England Patriots were 18-0 before going into the Super Bowl, claiming the best record in the NFL. But that changed in Arizona in the 4th Quarter when There were only 2:39 minutes in the game. There was a drive that the Giants had and it lasted for over two minutes and 83 yards. Making this one of the biggest upsets in NFL Playoffs History. And the 1972 Miami Dolphins STILL own the best record in the NFL.

Written By: Max Power on 07/16/08 at 8:54 pm

Phil Simm's 88% completion not in the list?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/16/08 at 9:35 pm

The one that always comes to mind is the Titans/Rams game where the Titans dude gets tackled one yard from the goal line...that was TIGHT.

Written By: midnite on 07/30/08 at 9:09 pm

Super Bowl XLII

Not Perfect

The New England Patriots were 18-0 before going into the Super Bowl, claiming the best record in the NFL. But that changed in Arizona in the 4th Quarter when There were only 2:39 minutes in the game. There was a drive that the Giants had and it lasted for over two minutes and 83 yards. Making this one of the biggest upsets in NFL Playoffs History. And the 1972 Miami Dolphins STILL own the best record in the NFL.

Yes and what about  David Tyree's catch combined with Eli Manning the magician?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SB5BYgzeWg

Written By: Big Nasty on 12/19/08 at 7:33 pm

There is also of coure the nipple gate game played by the Patriots and the Panthers.  That was a tight game and the halftime show was great as well.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/20/08 at 5:22 am

Hijack for a non Superbowl moment.

I am not a fan of Flutie(the little twerp), by any means, but I will always remember when he drop kicked the ball for an extra point, I was lucky enough to see it live.  It was a game against the Dolphins and the Pats lost, but still....   I would venture that there aren't too many out there who have seen one.

Thanks to the miracle of youtube:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnywZ81hNN8&feature=related

Written By: Satish on 12/20/08 at 8:50 pm

I am not a fan of Flutie(the little twerp), by any means,

FLUTIE RULES

Doug Flutie is God

Written By: danootaandme on 12/21/08 at 6:05 am

FLUTIE RULES

Doug Flutie is God

Flutie has an autistic son.  There is a group here in Massachusetts that is a charity. They had arranged for appearance and he agreed to show, and he was the draw.  All the publicity surrounding the event centered on Flutie being there.  They called him 2 days before the event to fine tune the appearance, he never got back to them.  The day before they finally talked to "an assistant" who told them that the little twerp had decided to start his own foundation and would not appear.  That little maggot should have showed, there isn't any excuse, and then he didn't even have the sack to come to the phone.  God bless Tim Robbins who was filming in the area and when the group put the word out that they were looking for a celebrity to step in he did so with a couple of hours notice.

To top all that three years after starting his foundation he had the requisite charity audit, they found while he had time to collect money for the foundation and pay himself a salary, he hadn't found much time to give out any of the donated money.  There was a scramble, I guess he didn't realize that maybe, just maybe, people would find out that the money they were giving him was going into his pocket.  When it hit the news he gave the school his son attends some computers.  What a guy.  The Foundation has cleaned itself up since then, but only after he got popped.

Written By: Satish on 12/21/08 at 7:57 am

Flutie has an autistic son.  There is a group here in Massachusetts that is a charity. They had arranged for appearance and he agreed to show, and he was the draw.  All the publicity surrounding the event centered on Flutie being there.  They called him 2 days before the event to fine tune the appearance, he never got back to them.  The day before they finally talked to "an assistant" who told them that the little twerp had decided to start his own foundation and would not appear.  That little maggot should have showed, there isn't any excuse, and then he didn't even have the sack to come to the phone.  God bless Tim Robbins who was filming in the area and when the group put the word out that they were looking for a celebrity to step in he did so with a couple of hours notice.

To top all that three years after starting his foundation he had the requisite charity audit, they found while he had time to collect money for the foundation and pay himself a salary, he hadn't found much time to give out any of the donated money.  There was a scramble, I guess he didn't realize that maybe, just maybe, people would find out that the money they were giving him was going into his pocket.  When it hit the news he gave the school his son attends some computers.  What a guy.  The Foundation has cleaned itself up since then, but only after he got popped.

Oh. Well. But he was a pretty good quarterback, though.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/21/08 at 9:31 am

Oh. Well. But he was a pretty good quarterback, though.

It is mostly unspoken, but he had to leave the NFL because during the players strike he crossed his own teams picket line. 

Written By: ninny on 12/29/08 at 3:39 pm

#4 wide right will haunt us Bills fans till the Bills finally win The Super Bowl.If they had won that first one who knows if they would have had better state of mind going into the next 3.

Written By: Big Nasty on 01/01/09 at 10:10 pm

I see in the future, this year as a great Super Bowl moment.  No Patriots, Cowboys, or Packers so there is a chance for a new match up in the big game.

Check for new replies or respond here...