inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Olympics any one?

Written By: A Perfect Stranger on 08/07/08 at 9:05 am

They're starting before long.  I wish I knew more about them, who's favored to win and such, but I don't.  Never the less I do enjoy watching them.  I really enjoy the one on one combat sports, such as boxing, fencing, judo, taekwondo, and wrestling.  I also really like baseball as well.  I suppose there is not any sport that I don't enjoy.  I enjoy them all.

I look foward to seeing how many medals the USA can win, and how many medals other countries win.  I"m exited.

Subject: Re: Olympics any one?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/07/08 at 1:37 pm

Team Great Britain have a target to win 41 medals at the Beijing Olympics so it would be interesting to see how many we end up with.

Written By: A Perfect Stranger on 08/09/08 at 9:50 am

Something of interest

Not sure if this is true or not, but from what I'm hearing, no longer will just Three teams/individuals be rewarded.  This years Olympics is going to have four placings on the Award Stand, giving out 1 Gold, 1 Silver and 2 bronze medals.  Anyone elaborate on this? 

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/09/08 at 11:26 am

Something of interest

Not sure if this is true or not, but from what I'm hearing, no longer will just Three teams/individuals be rewarded.   This years Olympics is going to have four placings on the Award Stand, giving out 1 Gold, 1 Silver and 2 bronze medals.   Anyone elaborate on this?  
Not a medal made from plastic for the fourth place?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/09/08 at 2:58 pm

Something of interest

Not sure if this is true or not, but from what I'm hearing, no longer will just Three teams/individuals be rewarded.   This years Olympics is going to have four placings on the Award Stand, giving out 1 Gold, 1 Silver and 2 bronze medals.   Anyone elaborate on this?  
The two bronze medals are handed when the contest is based on a knockout system and it is the two semi-finalists that received the Bronze Medals not having to contest in a 3rd/4th play-off.

i.e. inJudo

Men's 60kg final:

Gold Choi Min-ho (Kor)
Silver Ludwig Paischer (Aut)
Bronze Ruben Houkes (Ned)
Bronze Rishod Sobirov (Uzb)

Women's 48kg final:
Gold Alina Alexandra (Rom)
Silver Yanet Bermoy (Cub)
Bronze Paula Belen Pareto (Arg)
Bronze Ryoko Tani (Jpn)

Written By: Bobo on 08/09/08 at 3:14 pm

This means that Choi improves on his bronze medal from the 2004 games, while favourite Ludwig Paischer is unable to consolidate his gold medal from the 2008 European Championships.

25-year-old Alina Alexandra, who was unable to make the finals of the judo competition at the 2004 games, consolidates the five consecutive gold medals she has won at the European Championships, from 2004 to the present, with a gold at the Olympic Games.

Written By: nally on 08/09/08 at 9:53 pm

I watched the opening ceremonies on NBC last night (in high definition). Awesome stuff! 8) :)

And I watched a little of the volleyball matches today.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/10/08 at 1:36 am

I watched the opening ceremonies on NBC last night (in high definition). Awesome stuff! 8) :)
Now can London in 2012 beat that?

Written By: whistledog on 08/10/08 at 3:06 am

Two of the Canadian Olympians hail from my city (and neighbouring area):  Andrew Willows (Kayaker) and Simon Whitfield (Triathlete), so I really hope they do well :)

I wonder though with that fatal shooting of an American, will the rest of the Olympics be in jeopardy? :-\\

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/10/08 at 8:28 am

I do not wish to start posting results of compettions or games from the Olympics, for I may spoil other members enjoyment of watching recorded highlights.

Written By: Paul on 08/10/08 at 11:54 am

Now can London in 2012 beat that?

Yes...if we all don't mind being bankrupted for the rest of our lives!  ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/10/08 at 12:09 pm

Yes...if we all don't mind being bankrupted for the rest of our lives!  ::)
The Opening Ceremony at the Sydney Olympics was the best up to it's time, and Beijing has now capped that. So what can London do?

Written By: Paul on 08/10/08 at 12:19 pm

The Opening Ceremony at the Sydney Olympics was the best up to it's time, and Beijing has now capped that. So what can London do?

If its got any sense, it won't even bother trying to emulate it!

If it does, we'll be facing ginormous hikes in council tax 'til the day we croak!  :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/10/08 at 12:24 pm

If its got any sense, it won't even bother trying to emulate it!

If it does, we'll be facing ginormous hikes in council tax 'til the day we croak!  :P

I just imagine the history of Great Britain being portrayed on stage right now.

Written By: Bobo on 08/10/08 at 10:22 pm

GB have just won a gold and a bronze in the swimming.

Written By: nally on 08/10/08 at 10:27 pm

I watched the swim competitions last night and saw Michael Phelps win the men's competition...altho he fell behind a little bit during the breaststroke round. But he got out there and went all the way! I also remembered that he won at Sydney in 2000, at age 15.

Written By: Bobo on 08/10/08 at 10:32 pm

Phelps just helped the 4x100 team win another gold medal, keeping him on track for all eight - having been behind by so far at the 300 metre mark. An incredible result if anyone else saw it.

Check for new replies or respond here...