inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Re: 2008-09 cricket season

Written By: Bobo on 09/27/08 at 2:02 pm

Phil, if you like, we can keep this thread alive with talk of upcoming international cricket, at least until the 2009 season is upon us. England have a one-day series in India coming up in November. The proposed ICC Champions Trophy has been suspended until October 2009.

The only current series going on in the near future are New Zealand in Bangladesh, set for three One-Day Internationals and Two Test matches, and Australia in India, set for four Test matches in October/November.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/27/08 at 2:07 pm

Phil, if you like, we can keep this thread alive with talk of upcoming international cricket, at least until the 2009 season is upon us. England have a one-day series in India coming up in November. The proposed ICC Champions Trophy has been suspended until October 2009.

The only current series going on in the near future are New Zealand in Bangladesh, set for three One-Day Internationals and Two Test matches, and Australia in India, set for four Test matches in October/November.
We could keep this thread for the cricket of this year and when 2009 arrives there could be a new one started, but we do have to bear in mind for it is The Ashes next year.

Written By: Bobo on 09/27/08 at 2:09 pm

Certainly. I will probably keep a tab on most ODIs and Tests going on inbetween now and then - although the next English cricket season will have well begun before the start of the 2009 Ashes on July 8th.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/27/08 at 2:11 pm

Certainly. I will probably keep a tab on most ODIs and Tests going on inbetween now and then - although the next English cricket season will have well begun before the start of the 2009 Ashes on July 8th.
Off season there will still be domestic news in the UK and we do have Middlesex in that Twenty20 Tournament in October or November.

Written By: Bobo on 09/27/08 at 2:18 pm

Of course, the Stanford Super Series. Starts October 25, the Twenty20 tournament will give a good chance for Middlesex's younger stars to shine. And maybe even a chance for this season's debutants, Garth Berg, David Burton, Daniel Housego, Mark Lawson, Dawid Malan, Vernon Philander and especially Shaun Udal, to put in some good performances for the side. Assuming they all sign for next year.

Shaun Udal's grandfather, Geoffrey, made four first-class appearances for Middlesex, two in 1932 and two in 1946, the first year of the Championship following the Second World War. The second of these years saw Middlesex finish runners-up in the County Championship, with 16 wins and 204 points from 26 fixtures.

And other sports talk of "fixture congestion"!

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/29/08 at 6:33 am

The England Squad for the Tour of India will be: Kevin Pietersen (capt), Alastair Cook, Andrew Strauss, Ian Bell, Paul Collingwood, Andrew Flintoff, Tim Ambrose (wk), Matt Prior (wk), Stuart Broad, Steve Harmison, James Anderson, Monty Panesar, Ryan Sidebottom, Owais Shah, Graeme Swann.

Owais Shah who can bowl spin, was picked ahead of Ravi Bopara in the spare batting slot created by Michael Vaughan's absence.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/30/08 at 8:39 am

The England Squad for the Tour of India will be: Kevin Pietersen (capt), Alastair Cook, Andrew Strauss, Ian Bell, Paul Collingwood, Andrew Flintoff, Tim Ambrose (wk), Matt Prior (wk), Stuart Broad, Steve Harmison, James Anderson, Monty Panesar, Ryan Sidebottom, Owais Shah, Graeme Swann.

Owais Shah who can bowl spin, was picked ahead of Ravi Bopara in the spare batting slot created by Michael Vaughan's absence.
Batsman Owais Shah has admitted his surprise at being named in the 15-man England squad for the Test series against India in December.

The Middlesex right hander told BBC London 94.9: "I wasn't expecting it, I was very surprised but at the same time I'm very pleased I've been selected.

"At times you just have to be patient and keep performing."

The 29-year-old was picked ahead of Ravi Bopara following the news that Michael Vaughan will be absent.

He added: "If I do get an opportunity to play a Test match for England hopefully I can perform and take the opportunity."

Shah has never managed to cement a place in the England team but has appeared on and off since his debut in 2001.

Written By: Bobo on 09/30/08 at 10:45 am

Other current events going on - on Friday, the Sri Lankan Premier Championship gets underway - incidentally, that is my current project on Wikipedia, writing biographies about Sri Lankan cricketers - though I haven't gotten the player lists off the ground yet... compared with England, the various youth systems are in a much better place in Sri Lanka - every team has its representative team at Under-10s, Under-12s, Under-14s and Under 16s level.. Keep track of the First-class competition here.

The six-team South African Supersport series also kicks off this week, on October 2nd, while the Australian Sheffield Shield, once again renamed from the Pura Cup, reinstating the name it held until 1998/99, kicks off on October 10th, and lasts until March 13.

For the third consecutive season we appear to be bereft of first-class cricket in Zimbabwe, the most recent Logan Cup campaign occuring in the 2005-06 season.

Pakistan's domestic competition will also be kicking off in the not-too-distant future, and there is a One-Day series coming up between New Zealand and Bangladesh. How's that for keeping this thread ticking over? :D

Written By: Bobo on 10/01/08 at 9:10 pm

Bored already. The South African first-class Super Sport series starts today. Therefore in three days time I will bring results of the opening round of fixtures in the South African SuperSport series (which incidentally I am just about to start researching for articles on Wikipedia).

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/02/08 at 1:55 am

Sitting here twiddling thumbs waiting for the first England match.

Written By: Bobo on 10/02/08 at 5:21 am

Six players making their debuts on the opening day of the South African Airways Provincial Challenge:

Temba Bavuma
Dale Deep
Ethan O'Reilly
Warren Shankland
Juandre van Wyk
And the rather mysteriously named Northerns player S van Wijk

That's only as a note to myself to remind myself to write Wikipedia articles about them. •grin•

Written By: Bobo on 10/02/08 at 8:12 am

County Championship rewind, 2006 season:

I just found a note on the front of an old Sports folder that I kept primarily for the 2005-06 football season, and it says on the front, "P465 Surrey v. Somerset".

This was in reference to this County Championship game between the two teams, which despite Surrey scoring 688-8 declared in the first innings, buoyed on by Justin Langer's first-class best of 342, they scored what was then their second-best first-class score of 688-8 declared (since beaten by last season's 850-7 declared against •cough• Middlesex).

342 is Somerset's best single-innings total by a single batsman, beating a 21-year-old record set by a certain Isaac Vivian Alexander Richards. The match finished in a draw, and Langer finished the first innings of the match falling as the seventh wicket, putting on near as matters 50% of the first-innings batting total.

That week's set of fixtures also saw a rather wonderful feat from Sussex's Murray Goodwin, who scored 30 runs in an over against Middlesex off the bowling of Denis Compton's grandson, Nick.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/02/08 at 8:44 am

^ You get something for that nasty cough?

Paul Nixon puts ICL ahead of county, the Leicestershire wicketkeeper, is set to rejoin the Indian Cricket League for a second season this month, putting his county future at risk and faces a risk being banned.

Written By: Bobo on 10/02/08 at 8:57 am

Covooooooooooonia! Cough medicine.. with clout!

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/06/08 at 11:56 am

Hampshire confirm they have opened talks with former England coach Duncan Fletcher while Giles White is team manager.

Written By: Bobo on 10/07/08 at 12:40 pm

Saurav Ganguly announced his retirement from international cricket after the series against Australia. After the practice session in Bangalore he addressed the media and informed them that he would be ending his career at the end of this series.

Kolkata-born Ganguly has been playing one-day international cricket since the 1991-92 season, and played County cricket for Lancashire, Glamorgan and Northamptonshire.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/07/08 at 12:45 pm

Former Hampshire captain Shane Warne plays down suggestions he could become involved in the county's coaching set-up.

Written By: Bobo on 10/07/08 at 12:49 pm

Karachi Dolphins make it to the final of Pakistan's Twenty20 Cup. They bowled Islamabad Leopards out for 68, losing just one batsman in their 10-over trek to the target of 69. Just three overs left in the second semi-final between Lahore Lions and Sialkot Stallions, I'll bring the result of that soon enough.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/07/08 at 12:56 pm

The $20m match between England and Sir Allen Stanford's Caribbean team is in doubt after a High Court ruling over sponsorship.

Written By: Bobo on 10/08/08 at 11:41 am

Stallions won the second semi-final of the tournament by six runs, with Mohammad Ayub making his Twenty20 debut. The final, between Karachi and Sialkot, saw the Stallions win by seven wickets, with just two balls of the innings to spare. Quite a game.

Written By: Bobo on 10/09/08 at 6:29 am

Well - since we're in the English cricket off-season, I might as well start on something new - so here are the first round results of the South African SuperSport series. The series is contested between six teams, Cape Cobras, Dolphins, Eagles, Lions, Titans and Warriors.

The season runs from October to November, takes a break for Christmas, and then from February to April.

Results from October 2nd:

Dolphins v. Titans - Match drawn
Top scorers: Jon Kent (Dolphins) (91) Pierre de Bruyn (Dolphins) (73)

Eagles v. Cape Cobras - Eagles win by 86 runs
Top scorers: Ryan Bailey (Eagles) (91) Boeta Dippenaar (Eagles) (81)

Lions v. Warriors - Lions win by 37 runs
Top scorers: Alviro Peterson (Lions) (131) Alviro Peterson (Lions) (120)

Bangladesh's cricket league, the snappily named 2008 Ispahani Mirzapore Tea National Cricket League begins tomorrow (October 10th). As does Australia's Sheffield Shield - however these games are very erratic in when they are taking place.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/09/08 at 6:36 am

At Stumps on the First Day of 1st Test Match between India and Australia at Bangalore. Australia won the toss and elected to bat first and have scored 254 for 4, with Ricky Ponting (Captain) scoring 123.

Written By: Bobo on 10/09/08 at 8:48 am

The Australians lost the final wicket of the day with the final ball of the evening session. This is Test Match number 1887, which brings me to a cricket rewind... Test cricket in 1887 — two Test matches took place in the year, the first in January and the second in February/March.

January 1887 saw England bowled out for just 45 runs in the first innings, yet they, led by Arthur Shrewsbury, ran out winners by 13 runs. England had crumbled to 21-7 after losing Maurice Reed, and barely brought the innings back before losing their final three men. Australia made it to 119 before losing all their ten wickets, and yet somehow, with the resilience of our second-innings tailenders, Wilfred Flowers and Mordecai Sherman, we made 184 in the second innings.

Australia, requiring just 110 to win, got to just 97 all out. Five players made their Test debuts, John Ferris becoming one of the few players to play for more than one Test team. The Australian-born player even played for Gloucestershire for four seasons.

The County Championship would not be founded for another three years.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/10/08 at 12:58 am

The $20m match between England and Sir Allen Stanford's Caribbean team is in doubt after a High Court ruling over sponsorship.
England's $20m Stanford Twenty20 game will go ahead as planned, the tournament organisers confirm.

Written By: Bobo on 10/10/08 at 7:59 pm

Not quite time to report on the matches yet, but worth noting is the Warriors limiting the Eagles to their lowest first-class score of 28 all out in the first innings of their match. And this from a team containing four past and/or present international players!

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/10/08 at 11:52 pm

Not quite time to report on the matches yet, but worth noting is the Warriors limiting the Eagles to their lowest first-class score of 28 all out in the first innings of their match. And this from a team containing four past and/or present international players!
You do have to bear in mind that Makhaya Ntini is bowling.

Written By: Bobo on 10/12/08 at 4:10 pm

Today's SuperSport Series results:

Dolphins v. Lions - Match drawn
Top scorers: Jonathan Vandiar (Lions) (172*) Ahmed Amla (Dolphins) (164*)

Titans v. Cape Cobras - Match drawn
Top scorers: Gulam Bodi (Titans) (138) Jean-Paul Duminy (Cape Cobras) (124)

Warriors v. Eagles - Warriors win by 261 runs
Top scorers: Zander de Bruyn (Warriors) (81) Arno Jacobs (Warriors) (80*)

Written By: Bobo on 10/13/08 at 1:33 pm

Sheffield Shield matches which finished yesterday:

Queensland v. Tasmania - Queensland win by 48 runs
Top scorers: Chris Swan (Queensland) (76); Chris Hartley (Queensland) (55)

Western Australia v. New South Wales - Western Australia win by 8 wickets
Top scorers: Dominic Thornely (NSW) (97); Luke Pomersbach (Western Australia) (78)

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/14/08 at 3:49 pm

Reigning champions Essex have been handed a relatively kind-looking draw for the group stages of next year's Friends Provident Trophy.

Group D opponents Glamorgan, Northants, Lancashire and Derbyshire are all Division Two sides in the Pro40 league.

County champions Durham, the 2007 FP Trophy winners, are with Yorkshire, Surrey, Gloucestershire and Sussex.

Scotland are with 2008 runners-up Kent while Ireland have been drawn with the likes of Nottinghamshire and Hampshire.

Meanwhile, Group C contains reigning Pro40 champions Sussex as well as Durham, Gloucestershire and Yorkshire who will all play in the one-day league's top division in 2009.

The 2009 format has four de-regionalised groups containing five teams, the top two qualifying for the quarter-finals.

Ireland and Scotland were allocated to Groups A and B before the draw took place.

The final will take place at Lord's on 25 July, 2009.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Group A:
Ireland, Hampshire, Nottinghamshire, Worcestershire, Leicestershire

Group B:
Scotland, Warwickshire, Kent, Somerset, Middlesex

Group C:
Surrey, Durham, Gloucestershire, Yorkshire, Sussex

Group D:
Essex, Glamorgan, Lancashire, Derbyshire, Northamptonshire

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/17/08 at 5:50 am

India's Sachin Tendulkar has set a new record for the most runs scored by a batsman in Test cricket, overtaking the mark set by West Indies' Brian Lara.

Tendulkar, 35, scored the 15 extra runs he needed to overtake Lara's aggregate of 11,953 on day one of the second Test against Australia in Mohali.

Already the holder of a record 39 centuries in 151 Tests, Tendulkar hit the landmark runs off Peter Siddle.

Written By: Bobo on 10/17/08 at 10:18 am

Thank you Phil. I knew he was getting close to it, and when I checked this morning, everything seemed to be ticking along fine. Great news.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/17/08 at 11:29 am

Thank you Phil. I knew he was getting close to it, and when I checked this morning, everything seemed to be ticking along fine. Great news.
I turned into watching the live cricket after he had achieved it.

Even Don Bradman had Sachin Tendulkar on his best batsman list.

Written By: Bobo on 10/17/08 at 11:37 am

Louis Burger makes a century and Gerrie Snyman a half-century for Namibia against Western Province. Two Test matches going on right now, Bangladesh v. New Zealand and India v. Australia. The senior Zimbabwe team achieve their first ever victory against Ireland.

Three SuperSport matches going on right now — I'll report on the games when they are completed.

Written By: Bobo on 10/19/08 at 11:21 pm

South Africa

South African Super-sport matches, October 16-19:

Cape Cobras v. Dolphins - Match drawn
Top scorers: JP Duminy (CC) (138) Jon Kent (Dolphins) (110)

Eagles v. Lions - Eagles win by 77 runs
Top scorers: HH Dipenaar (Eagles) (93) Thandi Tshabalala (Eagles) (55)

Warriors v. Titans - Titans win by 196 runs
Top scorers: Morne Morkel (Titans) (82*) AB de Villiers (Titans) (52)

Australia

And I missed out reporting on a Sheffield Shield match from October 14-17:

South Australia v. Victoria - Match drawn
Top scorers: Nick Jewell (Victoria) (164) Michael Klinger (South Australia) (150*)

India

Today, the Vinoo Mankad Trophy gets underway. The tournament prelims last until October 28, the final will take place on November 15.

Bangladesh

A set of fixtures currently in progress. I will report on them at the end of the games, which should be October 21st.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/20/08 at 10:53 am

Middlesex play their opening match in the Stanford Series against England on October 26.

Written By: Bobo on 10/26/08 at 6:48 am

A fresh round of Bangladeshi fixtures today, along with Middlesex's match in the Twenty20 competition. One match I haven't reported on from the Australian Sheffield Shield:

Queensland v. Victoria - Victoria win by 9 wickets
Top scorers: Robert Quiney (Victoria) (127); Ryan Broad (Queensland) (96)

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/26/08 at 9:16 am

Middlesex play their opening match in the Stanford Series against England on October 26.
The match is tonight!

Written By: Bobo on 10/26/08 at 9:18 am

Game starts at 21:30 our time, I'm sure I'll be awake in time to report on it in the morning. Thank you for the reminder Phil.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/26/08 at 9:22 am

Game starts at 21:30 our time, I'm sure I'll be awake in time to report on it in the morning. Thank you for the reminder Phil.
TV coverage starts at 9pm for the preamble on one of the Sky Sports Channels.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/26/08 at 9:24 am

A fresh round of Bangladeshi fixtures today, along with Middlesex's match in the Twenty20 competition.
Middlesex CCC are delighted to announce the 12 man squad who will take on England in the first of their three Stanford Series matches, being played in Antigua this evening.

Shaun Udal (captain), Neil Carter, Neil Dexter, Billy Godleman, Tyron Henderson, Ed Joyce, Murali Kartik, Dawid Malan, Eoin Morgan, Tim Murtagh, Ben Scott, Andrew Strauss.

...if we play 12 men, we stand a better chance of winning!

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/27/08 at 2:56 am

England beat Middlesex by 12 runs in the Stanford Super Series in Antigua.

Written By: Bobo on 10/27/08 at 11:28 pm

Yesterday a Sheffield Shield match came to an end:

South Australia v. New South Wales - Match drawn
Top scorers: Philip Hughes (NSW) (198) Peter Forrest (NSW) (135)

Middlesex meanwhile, lost their Stanford Super Series match by five wickets, with just four balls of the game remaining.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/28/08 at 2:03 am

Middlesex meanwhile, lost their Stanford Super Series match by five wickets, with just four balls of the game remaining.
We may be losing (typical for us), but think of the money being earned by the players.

Written By: Bobo on 10/28/08 at 5:51 am

So far after two games, no team has a 100% winning record in the Bangladeshi National Cricket League. Top of the table is Rajshahi Division, who beat Chittagong by an innings margin on October 21. Meanwhile, the Bangladeshi one-day team took a 2-1 victory in the one-day series over New Zealand.

————

In India, the Ranji Trophy doesn't kick off until November 3rd. Bit of twiddling our thumbs until then. There are four games even which kick off on Christmas Day. Last season's final was won by Delhi, who reached the winning post thanks to a century from Gautam Ghambir.

————

A tri-nations tournament between Kenya and Zimbabwe has come to a rather quiet end, with the two teams sharing the trophy. I guess they just slice it down the middle or something.

————

In England, the World Twenty20 Championships are taking place in May, at Trent Bridge, the Oval, and Lord's.

————

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/28/08 at 6:22 am

In England, the World Twenty20 Championships are taking place in May, at Trent Bridge, the Oval, and Lord's.

Which will mean less home matches for Middlesex for the next season.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/28/08 at 6:25 am

At the Stanford Super Series the players are not happy with the floodlights and not being able to see the ball properly, especially when high in the air and the ensuing dropped catches. The thing is it is equal for both sides. As I have always thought, cricket should be played during the daylight hours.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/29/08 at 3:53 am

England maintained their winning run in the Stanford Series, beating Trinidad & Tobago by one run in the final warm-up.

Their plans were hit by a stomach bug that sidelined Stuart Broad, Luke Wright, Ryan Sidebottom and James Anderson, leaving just 11 fit players.

But Ian Bell made 37 and skipper Kevin Pietersen hit three sixes in an assured 44 from 30 balls in a total of 141-6.

Paul Collingwood took 2-12 but three were needed off the final ball and Ravi Rampaul was run-out chasing a second.

So England go into the $20m crunch contest against the Stanford Superstars with two wins, but will hope to have more than 11 to choose from on Saturday.

Written By: Bobo on 10/29/08 at 12:39 pm

Test match going on right now, India v. Australia. I will report when it is finished.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/29/08 at 1:21 pm

Today/tonight sees the Stanford Superstars v Middlesex match.

Written By: Bobo on 10/29/08 at 1:43 pm

According to here, it's actually taking place tomorrow, Phil, unless you know better..

Tomorrow sees Namibia start what appears to be their final game of the calendar year. I'm hoping to see good things from the team next year, as the stars of the Under-19 World Cup competition come through. Perhaps.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/29/08 at 1:45 pm

According to here, it's actually taking place tomorrow, Phil, unless you know better..

Tomorrow sees Namibia start what appears to be their final game of the calendar year. I'm hoping to see good things from the team next year, as the stars of the Under-19 World Cup competition come through. Perhaps.
Sorry it is tomorrow, a friend told me it was today (no friend of mine anyany!)

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/30/08 at 8:10 pm

Middlesex lost (again)!

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/31/08 at 1:04 pm

James Anderson is left out of England's match with the Stanford Superstars to accommodate second spinner Graeme Swann.

Written By: Bobo on 10/31/08 at 5:30 pm

India's Ranji Trophy begins on November 2nd.

Written By: Bobo on 11/02/08 at 8:46 pm

Anil Kumble announces his retirement from the game. The most recent India v. Australia test finishes in a draw, following double-centuries from Gautam Ghambir and VVS Laxman - Laxman's second double century of his career.

Written By: Bobo on 11/07/08 at 12:25 pm

Jason Krejza throws 8-215 — the most expensive eight–for in Test cricketing history — and the best bowling figures for a debuting Australian since Bob Massie in 1974. Result to come. Perhaps.

Written By: Bobo on 11/09/08 at 11:09 pm

Ranji Trophy Round 1 results:

Plate League

Haryana v. Himachal Pradesh - Himachal Pradesh win by 103 runs
Top scorers: Rahul Dewan (Haryana) (66) Paras Dogra (Himachal Pradesh) (64)

Jharkhand v. J & Kashmir - Match drawn
Top scorers: Shafiq Khan (J&K) (143) Saurabh Tiwary (Jharkhand) (89)

Kerala v. Goa - Match drawn
Top scorers: Swapnil Asnodkar (Goa) (191) Sreekum Nair (Kerala) (155)
Preambhastn Prem (Kerala) (138) Ajay Ratra (Goa) (136)

Madhya Pradesh v. Vidarbha - Madhya Pradesh win by 10 wickets
Top scorers: Faiz Fazal (Vidarbha) (77) Hrishikesh Kanitkar (75)

Services v. Tripura - Tripura win by 54 runs
Top scorers: Jasvir Singh (Services) (67) Rajib Saha (Tripura) (58) Vineet Jain (Haryana) (58)
Jain's 58, batting at number ten, is the best first-class score of his career, and his first half-century

Super League

Delhi v. Punjab - Match drawn
Top scorers: Sunny Sohal (Punjab) (110) Rajat Bhatia (Delhi) (99)
Karnataka v. Railways - Match drawn
Top scorers: Robin Uthappa (Karnataka) (131) Yere Goud (Railways) (122*)
Goud scores a century against his former team

Maharashra v. Tamil Nadu - Match drawn
Top scorers: Abhinav Mukund (Tamil Nadu) (300*) Murali Vijay (Tamil Nadu) (243)
Mukund's innings of 300 not out is Tamil Nadu's third-highest ever first-class score by an individual. Of note is Ameya Shrikhande's incredible 195 in just his second first-class game.

Mumbai v. Rajasthan - Mumbai win by 237 runs
Top scorers: Rohit Sharma (Mumbai) (128) Sahil Kukreja (Mumbai) (83)

Orissa v. Hyderabad - Match drawn
Top scorers: Abhinav Kumar (Hyderabad) (99*) Shiv Sunder Das (Orissa) (80)

Saurashtra v. Gujarat - Gujarat win by an innings and 227 runs
Top scorers: Bhavik Thaker (Gujarat) (192) Timil Patel (Gujarat) (104)
Patel's highest first-class score and first century

Uttar Pradesh v. Andhra - Match drawn
Top scorers: Tanmay Srivastava (Uttar Pradesh) (154) Mohammad Kaif (Uttar Pradesh) (144)
Srivastava begins this score, a first-class best, on his nineteenth birthday.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/10/08 at 5:24 am

Jason Krejza throws 8-215 — the most expensive eight–for in Test cricketing history — and the best bowling figures for a debuting Australian since Bob Massie in 1974. Result to come. Perhaps.
He can play for Australia in the Ashes, we will not mind.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/10/08 at 5:27 am

India v Australia, the 4th Test at Jamtha, Nagpur.

India won by 172 runs and the spinners inspire India to 2-0 win.

Written By: Bobo on 11/10/08 at 4:57 pm

While I'm still awake, just a reminder that when I wake up tomorrow morning I need to write Wikipedia articles about the following players:

Arun Karthik
Vinoo Prasad
Varun Sharma
Ahmed Quadri
Shreevats Goswami
Arindam Ghosh
Iresh Saxena
Digambar Waghmare

Written By: Bobo on 11/11/08 at 11:21 am

Sri Lankan Premier Championship begins on November 14.

Subject: Re: Re: 2008-09 cricket season

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/11/08 at 11:37 am

Ex-Surrey and England cricketer Graham Thrope is to return as batting coach for Surrey.

Written By: Bobo on 11/11/08 at 11:56 am

2008-09 season so far:

Australia

Three rounds of the 2008-09 Sheffield Shield gone. One game started yesterday.

Bangladesh

Five rounds of the 2008-09 Ispahani Mirzapore Tea National Cricket League gone. Next set of games starts on November 17th. Current league leaders, Rajshahi Division. One of many highlights of the competition so far, Elias Sunny hitting a hat trick for Dhaka Division against Sylhet Division.

First-class debutants in this year's competition so far (mostly for Wikipedia purposes) •wink•:

Mominul Haque
Emon Ahmed
Al-Hamim
Tariq Ahmed
Mahmudul Hasan
Robiul Islam Robi
Raihan Anas
Saikat Ali
Abul Hasan
Nasir Hossain
Rony Talukder
Kamrul Islam Rabbi
Ashraful Hossain
Ashiqul Islam
Hamidul Islam
Amit Majumder
Mizanur Rahman

India

One game gone for each team in Elite Group A, B, and Plate Group A and B so far. A whole bunch of fixtures going on which I will report on by fourth day's end on November 13.

New Zealand

First-class competition, the State Championship began yesterday, I will report on the matches by the end of each match. One-day State Shield begins on December 21 and the final occurs on February 1. Twenty20 State Shield starts in early February and ends in early March. A West Indies v. New Zealand Test series starts on December 5 and ends on January 13, after two Tests, two Twenty20 matches, and five ODI matches.

India v. New Zealand Test series runs between March and April.

Pakistan

First-class Pentangular Cup is nearly half-finished. Probably should write a Wikipedia article about recent first-class debutant Mohammad Aamer, tailender for Federal Areas, at some point.

Anyway, North West Frontier Province lead the game as the only team with a 100% record after two games.

Zimbabwe

•cough• •tumbleweed•

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/11/08 at 12:17 pm

England are bowled out for just 98 and lose by 124 runs to the Mumbai President's XI in their final warm-up match in India.

Written By: Bobo on 11/12/08 at 9:52 am

Cheteshwar Pujara and Ravi Jadeja score a fifth-wicket partnership of 520 not out, 20-year-old Pujara hits a career-best 302 not out while his partner, just ten and a half months his junior, joins him with 232 - also a first-class best, as they declare on 620-4. Results from Sri Lanka, India, and anywhere else I have the energy to cover, coming up soon.

England play their first One-Day international against India in Rajkot on Friday. New Zealand and Australia face off for the first time on November 20th.

South Africa and Bangladesh's latest one-day international was called off, their two Tests in the series start next Wednesday and the Wednesday after.

South African domestic first-class cricket takes its customary "winter" ("summer") break, which means that the next set of matches don't kick off until February. The list A championship starts on Friday. Is that everywhere?

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/12/08 at 11:02 am

The England and Wales Cricket Board is to discuss the idea of using yellow cards in a bid to curb bad behaviour.

Written By: Bobo on 11/12/08 at 11:17 am

Semi-finals of the RBS Pentangular Cup (Pakistan):

November 18: Federal Areas v. Baluchistan
November 18: Punjab v. North-West Frontier Province

The final takes place between November 24-27. Top of the runs chart, Khurram Manzoor, who picked up his first one-day international appearance for Pakistan in February of this year.

Written By: Bobo on 11/12/08 at 8:17 pm

Latest results from Bangladesh:

Barisal Division v. Dhaka Division - Barisal win by 118 runs
Top scorers: Nasiruddin Faruque (Barisal) (109) Marshall Ayub (Dhaka) (58)

Chittagong Division v. Sylhet Division - Chittagong win by 53 runs
Top scorers: Faisal Hossain (Chittagong) (129) Faisal Hossain (Chittagong) (69)

Khulna Division v. Rajshahi Division - Rajshahi win by 8 wickets
Top scorers: Tushar Imran (Khulna) (137) Jahurul Islam (Rajshahi) (130)

Note to self: First-class debuts to Amit Majumder and Mizanur Rehman.

One day match:

Pakistan v. West Indies - Pakistan win by 4 wickets
Top scorers: Chris Gayle (WI) (113) Khurram Manzoor (Pakistan) (69)

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/13/08 at 2:43 am

One day match:

Pakistan v. West Indies - Pakistan win by 4 wickets
Top scorers: Chris Gayle (WI) (113) Khurram Manzoor (Pakistan) (69)

Good to see that Chris Gayle is back in form again, for he had a rotten Stanford Series

Written By: Bobo on 11/13/08 at 8:09 am

As previously mentioned, Sri Lanka's Premier Championship kicks off tomorrow - though oddly, Wikipedia have the competition under the title Premier Trophy.

Last year's undefeated winners were Sinhalese Sports Club, a team whose players included Test players Avishka Gunawardene, Thilan Samaraweera and Kaushal Lokuarachchi.

The Sri Lankan limited overs tournament begins next Wednesday, a competition which was won by Bloomfield last season, a team which included 39-year-old Sanath Jayasuriya, a man who is just 27 runs away from 7,000 in Test cricket and just 258 away from 15,000 in first-class cricket.

Written By: Bobo on 11/13/08 at 12:50 pm

Today's Sheffield Shield match:

South Australia v. Western Australia - Match drawn
Top scorers: Michael Klinger (SA) (255) Luke Pomersbach (WA) (144)
Klinger's 255 is a first-class best. Need to write Wikipedia articles about about James Smith and the rather wonderfully named Tom Cooper

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/13/08 at 12:58 pm

...and the rather wonderfully named Tom Cooper

I can imagine it now, when asked on his performance on his bowling "How did you get them out", his reply will be "Just Like That".

Written By: Bobo on 11/13/08 at 1:06 pm

Results from latest Ranji Trophy results coming up.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/13/08 at 1:46 pm

Seamer Stuart Broad is named in England's team to face India in the first of seven one-day matches on Friday, while Ravi Bopara also plays.

Written By: Bobo on 11/13/08 at 2:03 pm

Ranji Trophy matches that came to an end today:

Plate League

Goa v. Jammu & Kashmir - Goa win by 110 runs
Top scorers: Manoj Joglekar (J&K) (120) Swapnil Asnodkar (Goa) (93)

Haryana v. Jharkhand - Haryana win by an innings and 61 runs
Top scorers: Sunny Singh (Haryana) (127) Nitin Saini (Haryana) (125)

Himachal Pradesh v. Kerala - Himachal Pradesh win by an innings and 56 runs
Top scorers: Mukesh Sharma (H. Pradesh) (88) Sangram Singh (H. Pradesh) (72)

Madhya Pradesh v. Bengal - Match drawn
Top scorers: Wriddhiman Saha (Bengal) (83) Hrishikesh Kanitkar (M. Pradesh) (76)
Avik Choudhary scores a half-century on his first-class debut.

Services v. Vidarbha - Vidarbha win by 135 runs
Top scorers: Faiz Fazal (Vidarbha) (200*) Sumit Tomar (Services) (63)

Tripura v. Assam - Assam win by 5 wickets
Top scorers: Rashmi Parida (Assam) (79) Sarupam Purkayastha (Assam) (77)
Purkayastha achieves this score on his first-class debut

Super League

Baroda v. Uttar Pradesh - Match drawn
Top scorers: Tanmay Srivastava (U. Pradesh) (79) Rakesh Solanki (Baroda) (71)
Srivastava has just passed his 19th birthday.

Gujarat v. Mumbai - Mumbai win by an innings and 239 runs
Top scorers: Waseem Jaffer (Mumbai) (172) Ajinkya Rahane (Mumbai) (104)
Mumbai restrict Gujarat to just 44 all out in the second innings of the match

Hyderabad v. Delhi - Match drawn
Top scorers: Anoop Pai (Hyderabad) (130) Dwaraka Ravi Teja (Hyderabad) (113*)
Pai's 130 is a first-class best.

Karnataka v. Tamil Nadu - Match drawn
Top scorers: Vidyut Sivaramakrishnan (Tamil Nadu) (193) Arun Karthik (Tamil Nadu) (149)
Karthik's 149 comes on his first-class debut.

Maharashtra v. Andhra - Match drawn
Top scorers: Hemal Watekar (Andhra) (142) Harshad Khadiwale (Maharashtra) (103)

Punjab v. Rajasthan - Punjab win by 9 wickets
Top scorers: Sunny Sohal (Punjab) (106) Vineet Saxena (Rajasthan) (83)

Saurashtra v. Orissa - Saurashtra win by an innings and 84 runs
Top scorers: Cheteshwar Pujara (Saurashtra) (302*) Ravindra Jadeja (Saurashtra) (232*)
Both scores were personal first-class bests for the players

This round's first-class debutantes:

Mayank Sharma
Arindam Ghosh
Shreevats Goswami
Avik Chowdhury
Iresh Saxena
Deepak Sharma
Ranjitkumar Mali
Sarupam Purkayastha
Sibsankar Arabinda Roy
Rahul Chikhalkar
Syed Quadri
Narayanan Vinu Prasad
Digambar Waghmare
Vivek Yadav
Saurya Sanandiya

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/14/08 at 6:32 am

Yuvraj Singh's unbeaten century and a woeful England batting effort see India claim a 158-run win in the first one-day international.

Written By: Bobo on 11/14/08 at 9:46 am

While I'm still thinking about it, I need to make sure to write Wiki articles about the following players:

Emmanuel Mkhize
Myren Pillay

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/14/08 at 11:08 am

Yuvraj Singh's unbeaten century and a woeful England batting effort see India claim a 158-run win in the first one-day international.
Should England just pack their bags and come home?

Written By: Bobo on 11/14/08 at 11:34 am

Former Warwickshire player Vaughn van Jaarsveld hits a century just before tea in the Lions v. Dolphins SuperSport match.

We shall see how he does by end of the first day of play tonight.

Written By: Bobo on 11/14/08 at 1:08 pm

Today's NZ State Championship fixture:

Canterbury v. Auckland - Auckland won by 73 runs
Top scorers: Tim McIntosh (Auckland) (140) Reece Young (Auckland) (100)

Coincidentally, McIntosh, who has two Youth Test caps and two Youth ODI caps, used to play for Canterbury, during the 2004-05 season. Who won the championship that year? Auckland.

Written By: Bobo on 11/14/08 at 10:18 pm

Australia: One Sheffield Shield match kicking off today.
Bangladesh: A set of Bangladeshi matches kick off on Monday.
India: Twelve Ranji Trophy matches kicking off tomorrow.
New Zealand: Three State Championship matches kicking off on Monday.
Sri Lanka: Preparing to report on this round of first-class fixtures, won't be finished until Monday night.

Written By: Bobo on 11/15/08 at 2:50 am

25-year-old Garry Park, who has played since 2006 with Durham, has signed for Derbyshire.

The team have given contracts to Jake Needham, Dan Redfern, Paul Borrington, Ed Jones, Ross Whiteley and wicketkeeper Tom Poynton.

Written By: Bobo on 11/15/08 at 6:03 am

Today's Sheffield Shield match was apparently delayed for four hours because some players were still returning from Brisbane. :D

Written By: Bobo on 11/15/08 at 2:17 pm

The one-day Pakistan v. West indies match in Abu Dhabi finishes with Pakistan securing a 24-run victory, in spite of a century from Shiv Chanderpaul.

Chanderpaul currently stands at an incredible 8001 Test runs — and is nineteenth on the list of career Test runs. Of all the people, including himself, above him in the list, he has the fourth-lowest high score in Test cricket — the lowest belonging to Mark Waugh, who is next highest in the Test run list, and just 28 runs behind.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/17/08 at 6:04 am

Durham batsman Will Smith dismisses suggestions he lacks the experience to captain the county during the 2009 Championship season.

Written By: Bobo on 11/17/08 at 2:16 pm

Upcoming internatonal fixtures for the next seven days:

November 19 - South Africa v. Bangladesh (O)
November 20 - India v. England (O)
                          Australia v. New Zealand (T)
                          Zimbabwe v. Sri Lanka (O)
November 22 - Zimbabwe v. Sri Lanka (O)
November 23 - India v. England (O)
November 24 - Zimbabwe v. Sri Lanka (O)

Twenty20 Champions League starts on December 3rd.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/17/08 at 2:21 pm

Upcoming internatonal fixtures for the next seven days:

November 19 - South Africa v. Bangladesh (O)
November 20 - India v. England (O)
                          Australia v. New Zealand (T)
                          Zimbabwe v. Sri Lanka (O)
November 22 - Zimbabwe v. Sri Lanka (O)
November 23 - India v. England (O)
November 24 - Zimbabwe v. Sri Lanka (O)

Twenty20 Champions League starts on December 3rd.
I got home this morning just in time to see the last two wickets that lead to the defeat.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/17/08 at 4:15 pm

England have had to drop plans to use Mushtaq Ahmed as a coach with their Performance Programme squad in India because of work permit problems.

The England and Wales Cricket Board recruited the 38-year-old former Pakistan Test player to help with the development of their spin bowlers.

He was due to travel to India with the squad, which includes Monty Panesar.

The decision to leave him behind is not expected to affect his ECB deal, which requires him to coach 100 days a year.

Mushtaq, who played 52 Tests and 144 one-day internationals for Pakistan, was a hugely successful overseas player for Sussex in the final years of his career.

He finally retired last summer after six years at Hove and the ECB moved to draw on his expertise, and he will work with the senior international side as well as younger spinners picked out as future England players.

Written By: Bobo on 11/17/08 at 7:01 pm

Upcoming domestic fixtures:

Australia - One match coming to an end soon. One match starting on Thursday. The Ford Ranger Cup group stages continue.
Bangladesh - All three fixtures started yesterday. Results to come on Friday.
India - Twelve league fixtures coming to an end tomorrow.
New Zealand - Three State Championship matches started yesterday. Will report on them all on Friday.
Pakistan - Two matches in the RBS Pentangular Cup start today - the last two before the final next Tuesday.
South Africa - No more SuperSport Series matches until February.
Sri Lanka - A bunch of matches coming to a close today - the first set of fixtures this season.
Zimbabwe - *tumbleweed*

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/18/08 at 2:29 am

Former England coach Duncan Fletcher will be part of South Africa's coaching staff when they play England in 2009.

Fletcher will begin his consultant role with South Africa in the forthcoming two-Test series against Bangladesh, which begins on Wednesday.

He will be involved in the build-up to their Australia tour, and will take part in preparations for the Champions Trophy and England's tour in 2009.

Fletcher's high point with England was the 2005 Ashes win over Australia.

Written By: Bobo on 11/18/08 at 11:34 am

Seriously weird stuff... I knew it had only been recently that I had written the Wikipedia article about Tafadzwa Madondo, but for him to die just six weeks after I created the article is just... depressingly coincidental.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/18/08 at 1:54 pm

Seriously weird stuff... I knew it had only been recently that I had written the Wikipedia article about Tafadzwa Madondo, but for him to die just six weeks after I created the article is just... depressingly coincidental.
I have met his brother Trevor Madondo, and I thought it was he that had died.

Written By: Bobo on 11/18/08 at 2:34 pm

I have met his brother Trevor Madondo, and I thought it was he that had died.

Trevor died back in 2001 at the age of 24, the fifth shortest-living Test cricketer on record. Rather depressingly, two of the four above him - Bangladeshi Manjural Islam Rana, and our very own Ben Hollioake - have died this millennium.

Written By: Bobo on 11/18/08 at 9:50 pm

Latest result from Australia:

Victoria v. Tasmania - Victoria win by 10 wickets
Top scorers: Brett Geeves (Tasmania) (99); Nicholas Jewell (Victoria) (92)

That's the only result I have right now from a recent match. Sri Lankan first-class matches finished yesterday, so I'm waiting upon those results. Sri Lanka's domestic one-day tournament starts today.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/19/08 at 2:10 pm

Nottinghamshire spinner Graeme Swann is named in England's 12-man squad for the third one-day international on Thursday, because Ravi Bopara is getting more runs back at the hotel.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/19/08 at 2:11 pm

Middlesex left-hander Ed Joyce is to join Sussex next season in a bid to revive his England one-day career

Written By: Bobo on 11/19/08 at 2:21 pm

Excellent news that. We Sussexians need some more decent players to re-establish ourselves as a championship winning side.

End of day one South Africa v. Bangladesh, and both our current batsmen have scored centuries, the score being as it is 299-1.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/19/08 at 2:24 pm

Excellent news that. We Sussexians need some more decent players to re-establish ourselves as a championship winning side.
You cannot get anyone more decent than Ed Joyce, I had always admired his play.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/19/08 at 2:25 pm

Hedley Howarth New Zealand cricketer has died aged 64

Written By: Bobo on 11/19/08 at 2:34 pm

Yep, I saw that, very sad news. I am sad about that as well as Madondo..

Just as a matter of interest, Phil, how did you come to meet his brother? 2000 or 2003? We've only played Zimbabwe in Test matches on four occasions since the turn of the millennium..

Two of these games were at Lords, though:

May 2000
May 2003

Either of these, or was it during a Trent Bridge game?

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/19/08 at 2:53 pm

Yep, I saw that, very sad news. I am sad about that as well as Madondo..

Just as a matter of interest, Phil, how did you come to meet his brother? 2000 or 2003? We've only played Zimbabwe in Test matches on four occasions since the turn of the millennium..

Two of these games were at Lords, though:

May 2000
May 2003

Either of these, or was it during a Trent Bridge game?
I met him and others in 2000 in Kensington High Street, London when the Zimbabwian players were out jogging and exercising in Kensington Gardens on a non-match day.

Written By: Bobo on 11/19/08 at 3:16 pm

Still no results available of the first round of the Sri Lankan Premier Championship, even though the matches started way back on the fourteenth...

Written By: Bobo on 11/19/08 at 7:10 pm

Yesterday a bunch of Indian Ranji Trophy matches came to an end. Results:

Bengal v. Services - Bengal win by an innings and 226 runs
Top scorers: Rohan Banerjee (Bengal) (176) Laxmi Shukla (Bengal) (101)
Banerjee's incredible top score comes on his first-class debut.

Delhi v. Mumbai - Match drawn
Top scorers: Sahil Kukreja (Mumbai) (229*) Ajinkya Rahane (Mumbai0 (160)

Goa v. Jharkhand - Goa win by 161 runs
Top scorers: Advait Katkar (Goa) (76) Saurabh Tiwary (Jharkhand) (72)

Gujarat v. Hyderabad - Match drawn
Top scorers: Nilesh Modi (Gujarat) (250*) Arjun Yadav (Hyderabad) (117*)

Himachal Pradesh v. Jammu & Kashmir - Himachal Pradesh win by 480 runs
Top scorers: Sanghram Singh (H. Pradesh) (215*) Bhavin Thakka (H. Pradesh) (122)
Singh's 215 not out, came in an innings which was declared after just one wicket had fallen. Had Singh have realized that this figure equalled his first-class best, maybe he would have continued at least to get one more run..?

Karnataka v. Andhra - Karnataka win by 202 runs
Top scorers: Robin Uthappa (Karnataka) (133) Manoj Sai (Andhra) (70)

Kerala v. Haryana - Match drawn
Top scorers: Rahul Dewan (Harana) (254*) Sunny Singh (Haryana) (124)
Dewan's previous highest first-class score is just 66. This from a career which has so far lasted just three matches. His current first-class average, after just four innings, is 125.66.

Orissa v. Rajasthan - Match drawn
Top scorers: Gagan Khoda (Rajasthan) (127) Shiv Sunder Das (Orissa) (74)

Railways v. Baroda - Match drawn
Top scorers: Azhar Bilakhia (Baroda) (157) Connor Williams (Baroda) (137)

Saurashtra v. Punjab - Match drawn
Top scorers: Cheteshwar Pujara (Saurashtra) (189) Jaydev Shah (Saurashtra) (178)
Taruwar Kohli makes a rather tasty 79, a half century on his first-class debut.

Tripura v. Vidarbha - Vidarbha win by 73 runs
Top scorers: Biswajit Dey (Tripura) (75) Ranjit Paradkar (Vidarbha) (75)

Uttar Pradesh v. Tamil Nadu - Tamil Nadu win by an innings and 238 runs
Top scorers: Dinesh Karthik (Tamil Nadu) (213) Subramaniam Badrinath (Tamil Nadu) (123)

Ranji Trophy round three first-class debutantes:

Rohan Banerjee
Prabhat Kumar
Ravikant Saini
Mohsin Iqbal
Parvez Rasool
Sarath Babu
Mohammad Sanuth
Vivek Yadav
Utkarsh Patel
Taruwar Kohli
Varun Khanna
Gopesh Bhowmik
Azaz Imtiyaz Ahmed

Banerjee was a part of the Kolkata Knight Riders' Indian Premier League squad of 2007-08, though he did not play a game in the competition.

Written By: Bobo on 11/19/08 at 7:57 pm

State of 2008-09 cricket seasons:

Australia - no games started between December 18 and January 30. List A matches (Ford Ranger Cup) continue throughout December.
Bangladesh - I've had very little time to report on the state of the Bangladeshi season, but I will probably summarize at the end of the season. Final three games in the league kick off on December 21.
India - Matches continue throughout December, with all four quarter final matches starting on Christmas Day. Ranji Trophy final takes place between January 7-10.
New Zealand - Three games coming to an end today. League takes a break between December 17 and March 6. State Championship final begins on April 5. One-day State Shield begins on December 21 and lasts throughout December-January, wtih the final on February 1.
Pakistan - Pentangular Cup semi-finals continue today. The final takes place on November 24.
South Africa - No more SuperSport games until February 26.
Sri Lanka - Season continues until January. I promise to cover the matches as soon as I get my hands on some stats!
Zimbabwe - First of three one-day internationals, against Sri Lanka, in Harare today. Little else seems to be happening cricket-wise in the country thanks to dear old Mugabe, but worse things have happened in the world.

Written By: Bobo on 11/20/08 at 4:45 am

Check that Zimbabwe scorecard out. All of the last six batsmen scored ducks, and all were bowled out within four balls.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/20/08 at 5:52 am

Check that Zimbabwe scorecard out. All of the last six batsmen scored ducks, and all were bowled out within four balls.
Has there ever been a worse performance by an international team?

Written By: Bobo on 11/20/08 at 7:38 am

Going from memory, I believe six may be the record for consecutive ducks in a Test innings. You would have to Ask Bearders to be certain, but I'm pretty sure this is the case.

Interestingly, the lowest Test total of 26 all out - Test match 402, New Zealand v. England in Auckland - saw just five scores of zero in the New Zealand second innings, four ducks and one of 0 not out.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/20/08 at 7:40 am

Going from memory, I believe six may be the record for consecutive ducks in a Test innings. You would have to Ask Bearders to be certain.
I did send him a question once (but forgotten now), and he never answered it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/20/08 at 7:46 am

Going from memory, I believe six may be the record for consecutive ducks in a Test innings. You would have to Ask Bearders to be certain, but I'm pretty sure this is the case.

Interestingly, the lowest Test total of 26 all out - Test match 402, New Zealand v. England in Auckland - saw just five scores of zero in the New Zealand second innings, four ducks and one of 0 not out.
Thanks, at least it was no England that achieved this.

Written By: Bobo on 11/20/08 at 7:50 am

Here, on the other hand, is the lowest first-class score in cricket history (though technically it wasn't called first-class cricket at this point...) six all out, which followed their previous innings of 137 all out.

The B's' team included two players who had played cricket for Middlesex.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/20/08 at 7:51 am

Here, on the other hand, is the lowest first-class score in cricket history (though technically it wasn't called first-class cricket at this point...) six all out, which followed their previous innings of 137 all out.

The B's' team included two players who had played cricket for Middlesex.
Thanks....

Written By: Bobo on 11/20/08 at 10:14 am

Albeit 198 years ago..! It's hard to get angry about the past when it's that far back, really. :D

Looking back at old-timey performances back at the beginning of the County Championship, it's amazing how much of the game was dominated by bowling, rather than batting. Taking Middlesex's first ever game in the County Championship as a not-so-randomly-chosen example, we saw Middlesex's 39-year-old bowler George Burton take seven wickets in the first innings of the game, and in the final innings of the game, we saw former Nottinghamshire medium-fast bowler Walter Wright pick up figures of 11-106 in the match.

The 1890 season was the first to experiment with five-ball overs, although competitions like the American 1890 Halifax Cup were used to using both eight-ball and six-ball overs. Interestingly, the group stages of American cricket at the time, with most of the players having been former amateur baseball players, played to a system where each team would put forward three batsmen, and when those three batsmen were out, the teams would change sides — just like the three-strikes-and-you're-out rule in baseball. View the first seven scorecards in this list for further match-by-match details.

Written By: Bobo on 11/20/08 at 11:39 am

I just received clarification of the points system in South African SuperSport cricket which I was pretty much confused about before. Check out this thread on Wikipedia:Wikiproject cricket to see how I was so confused. :D

Fractional points to two decimal places seems like a silly system.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/20/08 at 11:44 am

I just received clarification of the points system in South African SuperSport cricket which I was pretty much confused about before. Check out this thread on Wikipedia:Wikiproject cricket to see how I was so confused. :D

Fractional points to two decimal places seems like a silly system.
Very.

Written By: Bobo on 11/20/08 at 8:27 pm

Kudos must go to Kushaljit Das, 25, nearly 26 years old, who, despite making just five runs from the tailend in the only innings in which he batted for Assam in their latest fixture, has pretty much been working up to this match, his first-class debut, ever since he made his first appearance for the Under-16s team, all of ten years ago.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/21/08 at 6:33 am

Darren Maddy relinquishes his role as Warwickshire captain with the club appointing opening batsman Ian Westwood in his place.

South Africa batsman Herschelle Gibbs has agreed to rejoin Glamorgan for most of the 2009 campaign.

Written By: Bobo on 11/21/08 at 8:44 pm

Australia: Two matches started yesterday, will finish on the 24th.
India: one match currently going on, will report at end of game on the evening of November 23, I hope. A whole bunch of matches starting Sunday.
Pakistan: The final of the RBS Pentangular Cup will take place between NWFP and Baluchistan on the 24th

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/22/08 at 5:47 am

Fast bowler Dale Steyn took 5-57 as South Africa wrapped up an easy victory over Bangladesh on day four of the first Test at Bloemfontein.

Bangladesh were bowled out for 159 despite Mehrab Hossain's 43 not out to lose by an innings and 129 runs.

Written By: Bobo on 11/22/08 at 7:00 am

Bangladesh's 21-year-old bowler Shakib Al Hasan also took his second five-wicket haul. Second Test starts on the 26th.

Written By: Bobo on 11/22/08 at 11:14 pm

ODI #2780 - Zimbabwe v. Sri Lanka

Sri Lanka win by 9 wickets. Zimbabwe collapse to just 67 all out, their fourth-worst ODI score.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/23/08 at 8:46 am

Rain stops play for the second time with India 106-1 against England, with the fourth one-dayer in Bangalore already reduced to 44 overs per side.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/23/08 at 2:03 pm

Rain stops play for the second time with India 106-1 against England, with the fourth one-dayer in Bangalore already reduced to 44 overs per side.
Owais Shah's 72 fails to save England from going down to a rain-affected defeat by India, who clinch the one-day series 4-0.

Written By: Bobo on 11/23/08 at 3:26 pm

Former Leicestershire and Warwickshire cricketer Norman McVicker has died at the age of 68. mcVicker's twelve-year career took him to Leicestershire, Lincolnshire, and Warwickshire.

Written By: Bobo on 11/23/08 at 8:34 pm

Latest Ranji Trophy match:

Madhya Pradesh v. Assam - Madhya Pradesh win by an innings and 59 runs
Top scorers: Naman Ojha (MP) (116) Devendra Bundela (MP) (64)

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/24/08 at 7:17 am

England may release Owais Shah before the first Test so he can play for Middlesex in the Champions League.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/26/08 at 9:56 am

Middlesex captain Ed Smith has retired from first-class cricket after failing to recover from a serious ankle injury.

The 31-year-old missed most of last season with the problem, and handed over the Middlesex captaincy to Shaun Udal at the end of the campaign.

Smith, who spent two years in the role, said: "It's been a real honour to captain Middlesex.

"I have been very lucky to play first-class cricket for eight years at Kent and four years at Middlesex."

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/26/08 at 9:56 am

Kent have reappointed Rob Key as captain for next season, while spinner Rob Ferley has rejoined the club

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/26/08 at 9:57 am

Australia's Andrew Symonds says he "regrets" visiting a Brisbane hotel last Sunday and has apologised to his team-mates for his actions.

Symonds, 33, was drinking with members of the rugby league side who had lost to New Zealand in the World Cup final.

Reports suggest he declined a request to be photographed with a fan, who tried to pick a fight and was ejected.

Symonds says he "acted appropriately" in a personal statement released through Cricket Australia on Wednesday.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/26/08 at 6:12 pm

Middlesex have cancelled plans to fly to Mumbai on Thursday in the wake of terrorist attacks in the Indian city.

The English county side had been due to fly out to Mumbai for the inaugural Twenty20 Champions League.

But Middlesex will postpone their flight by at least 24 hours in light of the events in India which have seen at least 80 people killed and 200 injured.

The England team are currently in India and will take advice from the Foreign Office on whether to complete the tour.

Middlesex captain Shaun Udal told the BBC his side would not be flying on Thursday but could not confirm when their travel plans had been rescheduled for.

Middlesex were due to play on the opening day of the Twenty20 Champions League next Wednesday at Mumbai's Brabourne Stadium.

The squad were scheduled to stay at the Taj Mahal Palace, one of two luxury hotels attacked on Wednesday.

England were due to return to Mumbai, where their tour began three weeks ago, on 16 December ahead of the second and final Test starting three days later.

They too had been scheduled to stay at the Taj Mahal Palace.

Written By: Bobo on 11/26/08 at 6:26 pm

Latest Sheffield Shield matches:

November 21: New South Wales v. Queensland - Queensland win by 10 wickets
Top scorers: Martin Love (Queensland) (110) Nick Kruger (Queensland) (78)

November 21: Western Australia v. Victoria - Victoria win by 6 wickets
Top scorers: Chris Rogers (Victoria) (147*) Marcus North (Western Australia) (141)
The connection between these two batsmen? They both used to play for my second team, Derbyshire.

Written By: Bobo on 11/26/08 at 6:43 pm

Latest Ranji Trophy matches:

Gujurat v. Delhi - Match drawn
Top scorers: Bhavik Thaker (Gujurat) (151) Yogesh Nagar (Delhi) (79)

Hyderabad v. Rajasthan - Match drawn
Top scorers: VVS Laxman (Hyderabad) (224) Robin Bist (Rajasthan) (136)

Karnataka v. Baroda - Karnataka win by 10 wickets
Top scorers: Connor Williams (Baroda) (137) Thilak Naidu (Karnataka) (90)

Orissa v. Punjab - Orissa win by 9 wickets
Top scorers: Ankur Kakkar (Punjab) (117) Pravanjan Mullick (Orissa) (100*)

Railways v. Andhra Pradesh - Railways win by 7 wickets
Top scorers: Sanjib Sanyal (Railways) (70) Maripuri Suresh (Andhra) (51*)

Saurashtra v Mumbai - Match drawn
Top scorers: Cheteshwar Pujara (Saurashtra) (176) Chirag Pathak (Saurashtra) (170)

Uttar Pradesh v. Maharashtra - Uttar Pradesh win by 8 wickets
Top scorers: Shivakant Shukla (Uttar Pradesh) (131) Kedar Jadhav (Maharashtra) (93*)

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/27/08 at 1:55 am

England team officials are holding talks about cancelling their tour to India in the wake of gunmen attacks in Mumbai.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/27/08 at 2:02 am

England team officials are holding talks about cancelling their tour to India in the wake of gunmen attacks in Mumbai.
It has been announced the games will not go ahead and the test series is now doubtful.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/27/08 at 11:25 am

The England cricket team are now flying home.

Middlesex who were due to play on the opening day of the Twenty20 Champions League next Wednesday at Mumbai's Brabourne Stadium, have not flown out and the worse news is that the team had been due to stay at the Taj Mahal Palace hotel.

Written By: Bobo on 11/27/08 at 12:33 pm

That's a scary thought. Anyway, while I'm still thinking about it. The Stamford Super Series squads read as follows:

Chennai Super Kings (IND)
Arun Karthik
Ravi Ashwin
Subramaniam Badrinath
Lakshmipathy Balaji
MS Dhoni
Manpreet Gony
Matthew Hayden (AUS)
Mike Hussey (AUS)
Chamara Kapugedera (SRI)
Albie Morkel (SAF)
Muttiah Muralitharan (SRI)
Makhaya Ntini (SAF)
Parthiv Patel
Suresh Raina
Sudeep Tyagi

Dolphins (SAF)
Yusuf Abdullah
Ahmed Amla
Hashim Amla
Martin Bekker
Pierre De Bruijn
Quinton Friend
Jon Kent
Imraan Khan
Johann Louw
Dave Miller
Saidi Mlongo
Grant Rowley
Daryn Smit
Alfonso Thomas
Morne van Vuuren

Middlesex (ENG)
Garth Berg (SAF)
Steven Finn
Billy Godleman
Tyron Henderson (SAF)
Ed Joyce
Murali Kartik (IND)
Dawid Malan
Eoin Morgan (IRE)
Timothy Murtagh
David Nash
Alan Richardson
Ben Scott
Owais Shah (ENG, but born in Karachi, PAK)
Andrew Strauss (ENG, but born in SAF)
Shaun Udal

Sialkot Stallions (PAK)
Abdur Rehman
Adeel Malik
Ali Khan (Note to self, doesn't appear to have a Wikipedia article.)
Bilal Hussain
Faisal Naved
Kamran Younis
Kashif Raza
Mansoor Amjad
Mohammad Ali
Mohammad Ayub
Naeemuddin
Qaiser Abbas
Sarfraz Ahmed
Shakeel Ansar
Shoaib Malik

Titans (SAF)
Farhaan Behardien
Goolam Bodi
AB de Villiers
Francois du Plessis
Paul Harris (SAF, but born in ZIM)
Imran Tahir (PAK)
Pierre Joubert
Heino Kuhn
Ethy Mbhalati
Morne Morkel
Aaron Phangiso
Dale Steyn
Roelof van der Merwe
Martin van Jaarsveld
Basheeru-Deen Walters

Victoria (AUS)
Aiden Blizzard
Adam Crosthwaite
Aaron Finch (just the one first-class appearance, towards the back end of the 2007-08 Australian season)
Shane Harwood
John Hastings
Brad Hodge
David Hussey
Andrew McDonald
Clinton McKay
Dirk Nannes
Darren Pattinson (ENG)
Robert Quiney
Peter Siddle
Matthew Wade
Cameron White

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/27/08 at 12:36 pm

India's Champions League cricket tournament in which eight teams, including England's Middlesex were set to take part, has been postponed.

Written By: Bobo on 11/27/08 at 12:52 pm

That's what you get for not following the news. Thanks Phil. :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/27/08 at 12:55 pm

That's what you get for not following the news. Thanks Phil. :D
I thought so, and with the England team flying home, the ECB (and all) must be relieved.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/28/08 at 6:34 am

Kevin Pietersen says no England player will be forced to return to India where officials insist the Tests will go ahead, with the second match moved to Chennai.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/29/08 at 3:24 am

Worcestershire cricketer and former England player Kabir Ali escapes being caught up in the terror attacks in Mumbai.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/30/08 at 3:58 pm

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45250000/jpg/_45250396_worcs_cricket_flooding_226.jpg

Worcestershire chief executive Mark Newton says work on the club's new pavilion is still on schedule despite recent flooding at New Road.

Newton told BBC Hereford & Worcester the contractors had allowed time for possible flooding delay.

"We had no work for a week but they've absorbed that into the programme so the ground work is still continuing.

"The most exciting bit will be on 8 December when the steel arrives and the first floor will be put up," he added.

Newton admits that meeting the schedule is dependent on the River Severn remaining within its banks between now and the start of the season.

"We are absolutely on schedule at the moment, but any further floods would cause us a few problems," he said.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/01/08 at 1:44 pm

England have been offered a revised schedule for their tour of India but will await a security report before making any decision.

The England and Wales Cricket Board has said players will not be forced to go following the terror attacks in Mumbai.

Indian cricket bosses say the ECB has agreed to the Ahmedabad and Mumbai Tests switching to Chennai and Mohali, the first starting on 11 December.

A planned three-day warm-up match has been cancelled.

Professional Cricketers' Association chief executive Sean Morris told BBC Sport he did not expect a definitive security report to be delivered until Tuesday afternoon

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/01/08 at 1:45 pm

Lancashire chief executive Jim Cumbes has said manager Mike Watkinson could become director of cricket at the club.

Members of the general committee will consider a reshuffle of how cricket is managed at a meeting on Thursday.

If the plans are passed, Watkinson is set to become cricket supremo, with a new first-team coach to be appointed.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/02/08 at 4:57 pm

Work to install new turf, drainage and sprinklers at Nottinghamshire's Trent Bridge home is ahead of schedule.

The £600,000 project, funded by the England and Wales Cricket Board, will be completed in time for the new season and the ICC World Twenty20 in June.

Written By: Bobo on 12/02/08 at 7:24 pm

Latest results:

Sheffield Shield

Queensland v. South Australia - South Australia win by 3 wickets
Top scorers: Lee Carseldine (Queensland) (152) Michael Klinger (S. Australia) (137)

Ranji Trophy (IND)

Andhra Pradesh v. Tamil Nadu - Match drawn
Top scorers: Abhinav Mukund (Tamil Nadu) (150) Subramaniam Badrinath (Tamil Nadu) (121)
Baroda v. Maharashtra - Baroda win by 4 wickets
Top scorers: Ameya Shrikhande (Maharashtra) (114) Yusuf Pathan (Baroda) (100)

Bengal v. Tripura - Bengal win by an innings and 11 runs
Top scorers: Manoj Tiwary (Bengal) (109) Nisheesh Shetty (Tripura) (73)

Delhi v. Orissa - Delhi win by 52 runs
Top scorers: Sumit Narwal (Delhi) (66*) Virender Sehwag (Delhi) (32) Bikas Pati (Orissa) (32)

Gujarat v. Punjab - Gujarat win by 10 wickets
Top scorers: Bhavik Thaker (Gujarat) (158) Parthiv Patel (Gujarat) (84)
Punjab's Manpreet Gony scored 69 runs from tenth in the batting order, his first-class best.

Haryana v. Goa - Haryana win by 198 runs
Top scorers: Dhruv Singh (Haryana) (74*) Amit Mishra (Haryana) (58*)
Singh and Mishra put on an unbeaten partnership of 134 for the eighth wicket. Goa rallied at the end of their second innings, putting 121 of their 162 runs on for the last three wickets.

Jharkhand v. Himachal Pradesh - Match drawn
Top scorers: Sangram Singh (H. Pradesh) (210) Saurabh Tiwary (Jharkhand) (169)

Kerala v. J&K - Kerala win by 8 wickets
Top scorers: Rohan Prem (Kerala) (124*) Ian Dev Singh (Jammu & Kashmir) (61)

Railways v. Uttar Pradesh - Match drawn
Top scorers: Praveen Kumar (U. Pradesh) (98) Yere Goud (Railways) (78*)

Saurashtra v. Rajasthan - Saurashtra win by an innings and 74 runs
Top scorers: Bhushan Chauhan (Saurashtra) (114) RAjesh Bishnoi (Rajasthan) (67)

Services v. Madhya Pradesh - Match drawn
Top scorers: Jasvir Singh (Services) (103*) Jalaj Saxena (M. Pradesh) (100*)
Final two wickets in Madhya Pradesh's innings fall for 116 of the team's 223 runs

Vidarbha v. Assam - Assam win by 71 runs
Top scorers: Shrikhant Wagh (Vidarbha) (110*) Rashmi Parida (Assam) (89)

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/03/08 at 6:10 am

Northants have said that batsman David Sales' knee injury is not as bad as first feared.

The 30-year-old, who missed the entire 2001 season after damaging his knee during an England A tour in the West Indies, hurt himself in training.

"It's certainly not as serious as we thought at first," chief executive Mark Tagg told BBC Radio Northampton.

"It was just one of those things. We are not overly concerned about it at this stage."

Sales, who captained the county between 2004 and 2007, scored more than 1,800 runs in all competitions last season.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/03/08 at 6:10 am

At least five England players are not prepared to return to India following the Mumbai terror attacks, according to former Test fast bowler Dominic Cork.

The players are waiting for a security report and a decision on the future of the Test series may be six days away.

Cork told BBC Radio 5 Live: "I know at least five who will turn their backs."

Professional Cricketers' Association chief executive Sean Morris has hinted England players may head to a holding camp in Abu Dhabi on Thursday.

Written By: Bobo on 12/03/08 at 9:48 am

Slightly old news now, but Bangladesh lost the second of their two Tests against South Africa.

The team have still only won one of their fifty-nine Test matches so far since their induction into the Test circle in 2001.

Written By: Bobo on 12/03/08 at 10:18 pm

The first two weeks-worth of Sri Lankan Premier Championship results are finally through. Results later. One Australian Sheffield Shield match currently going on, three more until the Christmas break, which lasts until January 30.

That's all for domestic action around now, South African domestic action doesn't kick off again for another seven weeks.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/04/08 at 11:28 am

Worcestershire are confident that England paceman Simon Jones will be fit for the start of next season.

Jones missed the end of last season before undergoing his latest bout of knee surgery in October, having first helped Worcestershire to promotion.

But Worcestershire director of cricket Steve Rhodes is optimistic that Jones will be ready for next April.

"He won't start running until the new year," said Rhodes. "But there's loads of other things we have got him doing."

Written By: Bobo on 12/04/08 at 11:51 am

I know you're waiting for me to overview the beginning of the Sri Lankan season... I'll get there eventually. :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/04/08 at 11:53 am

I know you're waiting for me to overview the beginning of the Sri Lankan season... I'll get there eventually. :D
Take your time...

The England cricket team flew out to Abu Dhabi today.

Written By: Bobo on 12/04/08 at 11:57 am

It's two weeks' worth of fixtures so I'll probably overview it in two separate posts.

One Indian Ranji Trophy match was scheduled to start tomorrow, but has been postponed. The next full round of fixtures presumably starts on the 12th.

One Sheffield Shield match coming to an end soon. Result coming up as soon as I get my hands on it.

One game in the New Zealand State Championship coming to an end today, one starting tomorrow.

Written By: Bobo on 12/04/08 at 10:26 pm

This season in Sri Lankan cricket sees the debut season of Seeduwa Raddoluwa Sports Club - who oddly are referred to in Cricinfo as Seeduwa Raddoluwa Cricket Club. But they're wrong about a whole mess of crap normally, so we'll just act as if everything they say is untrue.

Sri Lanka - Week 1:

Bloomfield C&AC v. Colombo CC - Bloomfield win by 148 runs
Top scorers: Thilina Masmullah (Bloomfield) (65) Chamara Silva (Bloomfield) (58)
Three-time Test player Sujeewa de Silva completed a hat-trick in the second innings of the match.

Burgher CC v. Saracens SC - Burgher win by 6 wickets
Top scorers: Chaminda Pussegolla (Saracens) (98) Manoj Fernando (Burgher) (76)

Colts CC v. Moors SC - Colts win by an innings and 68 runs
Top scorers: Dhanuka Pathirana (Colts) (150) Dilruwan Perera (Colts) (94)

Lankan CC v. Sebastianites C&AC - Match drawn
Top scorers: Chatura Athukorala (Sebastianites) (79*) Thiina Dasun (Lankan CC) (54) Anjula Perera (Sebastianites) (54)

Moratuwa SC v. Police SC - Moratuwa win by 2 runs
Top scorers: Ramesh Kumar (Police) (82) Sagara Wijemanne (Moratuwa) (52)

Nondescripts CC v. Badureliya SC - Badureliya win by an innings and 2 runs
Top scorers: Tillakaratne Sampath (Badureliya) (82) Alankara Asanka (Badureliya) (70)

Seeduwa Raddoluwa SC v. Singha SC - Seeduwa Raddoluwa win by 7 wickets
Top scorers: Geeth Kumara (S. Raddoluwa) (76) Manjula Priyantha (S. Raddoluwa) (69)

Sinhalese SC v. Chilaw Marians CC - Match drawn
Top scorers: Kaushal Silva (Sinhalese) (133) Thilan Samaraweera (Sinhalese) (111)

Sri Lanka Air Force SC v. Panadura SC - Panadura win by an innings and 160 runs
Top scorers: Dinusha Fernando (Panadura) (138) Sunendra Kamara (Panadura) (100)

Written By: Bobo on 12/04/08 at 10:26 pm

Sri Lanka - Week 2

Badureliya SC v. Ragama CC - Ragama win by an innings and 37 runs
Top scorers: Duminda Perera (Ragama) (82) Ranesh Perera (Ragama) (68)
Badureliya are confined to just 54 runs from their first innings, before being forced to follow on.

Chilaw Marians v. Sri Lanka Army - Chilaw Marians win by 1 wicket
Top scorers: Milindi Siriwardene (Chilaw Marians) (62) Chaminda Prasad (Sri Lanka Army) (54)

Colombo Cricket Club v. Nondescripts Cricket Club - Match drawn
Top scorers: Daminda Ranaweera (Colombo) (99) Kosala Kulasekara (Nondescripts) (83)
As an aside, there can't be many seven year olds playing first-class cricket!

Moratuwa SC v. Seeduwa Raddoluwa SC - Seeduwa Raddoluwa win by 47 runs
Top scorers: Umesh Karunaratne (Seeduwa Raddoluwa) (65) Manjula Priyantha (Seeduwa Raddoluwa) (44) Neil Priyantha (Seeduwa Raddoluwa) (44)

Panadura SC v. Singha SC - Panadura win by 6 wickets
Top scorers: Denver Faux (Singha) (77) Asela Wewalwala (Singha) (57)

Police SC v. Lankan Cricket Club - Match drawn
Top scorers: Rasmi Jinan (Police) (89) Ravin Nirmal (Police) (59)

Saracens SC v. Sebastianites C&AC - Match drawn
Top scorers: Geeth Alwis (Saracens) (144) Praneeth Jayasundera (Sebastianites) (68)
This is Alwis's debut first-class century.

Sinhalese SC v. Colts CC - Match drawn
Top scorers: Navin Perera (Sinhalese) (96) Dhanuka Pathirana (Colts) (75)

Sri Lanka Air Force SC v. Burgher RC - Sri Lanka Air Force win by an innings and 72 runs
Top scorers: Suwanji Madanayake (Sri Lanka Air Force) (86) Madawa Waranpura (Sri Lanka Air Force) (50)

Tamil Union C&AC v. Bloomfield C&AC - Match drawn
Top scorers: Gihan Rupasinghe (Tamil Union) (154*) Tillakaratne Dilshan (Bloomfield) (112)

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/07/08 at 5:33 am

Kent fast bowler Amjad Khan, 28 has been added to England's squad for the two-Test series in India.

And Yorkshire leg-spinner Adil Rashid, 20, will also travel to Chennai if the tour goes ahead but has not been officially added to the squad.

The two newcomers have been promoted from the Performance group currently with the senior squad in Abu Dhabi.

But the players are still awaiting a security report on India before making a final decision on whether to tour.

Khan has been named as the official replacement for Ryan Sidebottom, who has endured an injury-plagued year and will play no part in India.

Sidebottom's Nottinghamshire team-mate Stuart Broad is not in the running for the first Test with a hamstring injury.

Written By: Bobo on 12/07/08 at 9:44 pm

Most recent Sheffield Shield match:

Tasmania v. NSW - Tasmania win by 3 wickets
Top scorers: Phillip Hughes (NSW) (Inn. 2) (108) Phillip Hughes (NSW) (Inn. 1) (93)

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/08/08 at 1:57 am

England's two-Test series in India will go ahead after the players receive assurances about their safety.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/08/08 at 3:49 pm

Middlesex will discover the future of the postponed Champions League cricket tournament in India on 12 December.

The decision will be made by officials from India, Australia and South Africa following a conference call.

The eight-team competition would have run from 3 to 10 December, but the Mumbai terror attacks forced a rethink.

Champions League spokesman Javed Akhtar told BBC Sport: "There will be increased security at all levels. I think the teams will have no issues."

Written By: Bobo on 12/08/08 at 4:03 pm

The most recent Ranji Trophy match:

Assam v. Bengal - Bengal win by 9 wickets
Top scorers: Manoj Tiwary (101) Parag Das (Assam) (41)

Thirteen Ranji Trophy matches kick off on the 12th.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/09/08 at 5:04 am

Former England cricketer Chris Lewis has been charged with attempting to smuggle drugs into the UK.

His arrest follows the seizure of 9lb(4kg) of cocaine worth about £200,000 at Gatwick Airport on Monday. He is due before magistrates in Crawley later.

The Class A drugs were found in baggage removed from a flight from St. Lucia in the Caribbean to the West Sussex airport, the UK Border Agency said.

The 40-year-old fast bowler played 32 Tests and 53 one-day internationals.

Mr Lewis now works as a cricket coach and lives in Bruce Road, north-west London.

A second man, 26-year-old basketball player Chad Theron Kirnon, of Carnegie Street, Islington, north London, was also charged with attempting to smuggle drugs.

Written By: Bobo on 12/10/08 at 10:21 am

Sri Lanka - week 3:

Badureliya v. Chilaw Marians - Match drawn
Top scorers: Dammika Gunawardene (Badureliya) (98); Dilshan Aravinda (Badureliya) (88)

Bloomfield v. Moors - Match drawn
Top scorers: Wesley Fernando (Moors) (45); Hasantha Fernando (Moors) (37)

Burgher v. Panadura - Match drawn
Top scorers: Romesh Eranga (Burgher) (44) Marlan Madusanka (Burgher) (44) Dinusha Fernando (Panadura) (44)

Colombo v. Sri Lanka Army - Match drawn
Top scorers: Bathiya Perera (Colombo) (139) Damith Balasooriya (Sri Lanka Army) (59)

Lankan CC v. Seeduwa Raddulowa - Match drawn
Top scorers: Geeth Kumara (SR) (63) Heshan Tillakaratne (Lankan CC) (32)

Moratuwa v. Saracens - Match drawn
Top scorers: Kasun Bodhisha (Saracens) (66) Harsha de Silva (Moratuwa) (56)

Police SC v. Sri Lanka Air Force SC - Match drawn
Top scorers: Ravin Nirmal (Police) (73) Ajith Kumara (Sri Lanka Air Force) (60)

Ragama CC v. Sinhalese SC - Match drawn
Top scorers: Navin Perera (Sinhalese) (93) Shalika Karunanayake (Sinhalese) (77)

Sebastianites C&AC v. Singha SC - Match drawn
Top scorers: Shalika Karunanayake (Singha) (66) Hemantha Boteju (Sebastianites) (28)

Tamil Union v. Nondescripts - Match drawn
Top scorers: Malitha Gajanayake (Nondescripts) (100) Isuru Udana (Tamil Union) (75)
Udana's innings came from tenth in the order, and improves on his previous first-class best by 42 runs

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/10/08 at 2:05 pm

England have selected Graeme Swann and Matt Prior for the opening Test against India starting on Thursday in Chennai.

Test debutant Swann replaces the injured Stuart Broad and will form a twin spin attack with Monty Panesar.

Wicketkeeper Prior returns in place of Tim Ambrose for England's first Test match since the summer.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/11/08 at 2:10 pm

Andrew Strauss hits a superb 123 but England slip from 164-1 to 229-5 as India strike back on day one of the first Test in Chennai

Written By: Bobo on 12/11/08 at 8:50 pm

Just two rounds of the Ranji Trophy to go until we know our Quarter Finalists. I assume that'll mean that the top two teams in every division will qualify for the Quarter finals, whether this is done by a random draw or whether neither winning team from any group will face the second-placed team in the same group, I'm not sure.

As of right now, the teams at the top of the table read as follows:

Elite Group A

PlaceTeamPWLDWFDLFBPPoints
1Mumbai53011221
2Saurashtra52120218

Elite Group B

1Tamil Nadu41030115
2Uttar Pradesh51130014

Plate Group A

1Himachal Pradesh43010119
2Uttar Pradesh51130014

Plate Group B

1Bengal43001218
2Madhya Pradesh42020218

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/12/08 at 6:37 am

Graeme Swann claimed two wickets in his first over as a Test bowler as England took control on day two of the first Test against India in Chennai.

The spinner trapped Gautam Gambhir and Rahul Dravid lbw as India struggled with the bat in reply to England's 316.

Monty Panesar and Andrew Flintoff then removed VVS Laxman and Sachin Tendulkar before Steve Harmison dismissed Yuvraj Singh to leave India 155-6 at stumps.

Matt Prior's patient 53 not out was vital in helping England past 300.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/13/08 at 6:09 am

Andrew Strauss and Paul Collingwood batted England into a commanding 247-run lead with two days remaining in the first Test against India in Chennai.

Strauss, a centurion in the first innings, was 73 and Collingwood 60 in an unbroken 129 for the fourth wicket.

After India had been dismissed for 241 four balls after lunch, England held a lead of 75, but were soon in trouble at 48-3 in their second innings.

But they recovered magnificently to reach 172-3 at stumps.

With a number of deliveries now breaking through a wearing surface, India will not be heartened to hear the record successful run-chase in a Test at the MA Chidambaram Stadium is 155.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/14/08 at 2:21 pm

India turned the tables on England in dramatic fashion through a blistering innings from Virender Sehwag late on day four of the first Test in Chennai.

Sehwag hit four sixes in his 83 off 68 balls as India finished the day on 131-1, needing a further 256 to win.

The hosts faced a massive target of 387 after England declared on 311-9.

Andrew Strauss hit his second hundred of the match and Paul Collingwood also made a century but England made only 57 runs between lunch and tea.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/15/08 at 8:21 am

Sachin Tendulkar hits an unbeaten century to guide India to a six-wicket victory over England in the first Test in Chennai.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/15/08 at 8:26 am

Middlesex will have to qualify a second time for the Champions League after this winter's tournament in India was pushed back until October 2009.

It would have run from 3 December, but the Mumbai attacks forced a rethink and no window was immediately available.

Middlesex had qualified as the only English representative after winning the domestic Twenty20 Cup last summer.

But now any English entries will be judged by their performances in the 2009 Twenty20 Cup, it appears.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/17/08 at 8:08 am

The future of Sir Allen Stanford's Super Series has been thrown into doubt after the American disbanded the legends employed to promote the event.

Ex-West Indies bowler Colin Croft told BBC Sport the group, including Sir Viv Richards, had "definitely" been axed.

The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) says it is investigating reports that its lucrative contract with the Texan billionaire may be in jeopardy.

The ECB is one year into a five-year deal with Stanford worth $17.5m.

In June 2008, he agreed to fund and stage five annual $20m winner-takes-all Twenty20 games between a West Indies Superstars XI and England at his stadium in Antigua.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/17/08 at 8:09 am

Former England cricketer Chris Lewis has been further remanded in custody charged with attempting to smuggle drugs into the UK.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/18/08 at 4:56 am

England will delay naming their team for the second Test against India because of an unpredictable wicket in Mohali.

Written By: Bobo on 12/18/08 at 7:06 am

Latest Sheffield Shield result:

Victoria v. Western Australia - Victoria win by 8 wickets
Top scorers: David Bandy (Western Australia) (66) Andrew Mcdonald (Victoria) (60) Damien Wright (Victoria) (60)

Written By: Bobo on 12/18/08 at 7:29 am

Latest round of Ranji Trophy matches:

Baroda v. Tamil Nadu - Tamil Nadu win by 259 runs
Top scorers: Dinesh Karthik (T. Nadu) (123) Ramaswamy Prasanna (T. Nadu) (92)

Haryana v. Jammu & Kashmir - Jammu & Kashmir win by 44 runs
Top scorers: Manav Sharma (Haryana) (98) Ian Dev Singh (J&K) (78)

Himachal Pradesh v. Goa - Goa win by 6 wickets
Top scorers: Swapnil Asnodkar (Goa) (84) Ajay Mannu (H. Pradesh) (56*)

Hyderabad v. Punjab - Punjab win by 9 wickets
Top scorers: Tirumasaletti Suman (Hyderabad) (131) Ravi Inder Singh (Punjab) (112)
Suman scores his debut first-class century, passing his previous best of 67

Jharkhand v. Kerala - Kerala win by 8 wickets
Top scorers: Saurabh Tiwary (Jharkhand) (125) Robert Fernandez (Kerala) (124)
Fernandez scores his debut first-class century, passing his previous best of 72. Rohan Prem also scores a century, scoring 109

Karnataka v. Uttar Pradesh - Match drawn
Top scorers: Tanmay Srivastava (Uttar Pradesh) (159) Balachandra Akhil (Karnataka) (135)
Every player in Karnataka's first innings reaches double figures, an incredibly rare achievement even in first-class cricket.

Maharashtra v. Railways - Match drawn
Top scorers: Kedar Jadhav (Maharashtra) (114*) Ameya Shrikhande (Maharashtra) (113)

Orissa v. Mumbai - Mumbai win by 315 runs
Top scorers: Ajinkya Rahane (Mumbai) (201) Pinninti Jayachandra (Orissa) (72)
Rahane surpasses his previous first-class best score of 172

Rajasthan v. Gujarat - Gujarat win by 7 wickets
Top scorers: Vinod Chanwaria (Rajasthan) (88) Bhavik Thaker (Gujarat) (52)

Saurashtra v. Delhi - Delhi win by 10 wickets
Top scorers: Ravi Jadeja (Suarashtra) (143) Shihkar Dhawan (Delhi) (93)

Services v. Assam - Assam win by 6 wickets
Top scorers: Rashmi Parida (Assam) (136) Soomik Chatarjee (Services) (118)

Tripura v. Madhya Pradesh - Match drawn
Top scorers: Jalaj Saxena (M. Pradesh) (129) Nisheesh Shetty (Tripura) (118) Subal Chowdhury (Tripura) (118)

Vidarbha v. Bengal - Match drawn
Top scorers: Wriddaman Saha (Bengal) (159) Vikram Gonnade (Vidarbha) (78)
Both Saha and Gonnade's innings were personal best scores for the players

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/19/08 at 12:40 am

Stuart Broad strikes early before India reach 51-1 at lunch on day one of the second Test in Mohali.

Written By: Bobo on 12/21/08 at 7:37 pm

Latest round of matches in India:

Baroda v. Andhra Pradesh - Baroda win by an innings and 60 runs
Top scorers: Satyajit Parab (Baroda) (130) Azhar Bilakhia (Baroda) (73)

Bengal v. Goa - Match drawn
Top scorers: Ryan Neenan (Goa) (88*) Dibendyu Chakrabarty (Bengal) (82)
Notably, this is Chakrabarty's second first-class half century in three innings

Himachal Pradesh v. Madhya Pradesh - H. Pradesh win by an innings and 175 runs
Top scorers: Mukesh Sharma (H. Pradesh) (161) Bhavin Thakkar (H. Pradesh) (111)

Karnataka v. Maharashtra - Karnataka win by 155 runs
Top scorers: Muralidharan Gautam (Karnataka) (108) Harshad Khadiwale (Maharashtra) (70)

Mumbai v. Punjab - Mumbai win by 9 wickets
Top scorers: Uday Kaul (Punkab) (136) Amol Muzumdar (Mumbai) (113)

Orissa v. Gujarat - Gujarat win by an innings and 83 runs
Top scorers: Parthiv Patel (Gujarat) (206) Priyank Panchal (Gujarat) (59)

Rajasthan v. Delhi - Match drawn
Top scorers: Akash Chopra (Delhi) (210) Shikhar Dhawan (Delhi) (118)

Saurashtra v. Hyderabad - Saurashtra win by 105 runs
Top scorers: Sagar Jogiyani (Saurashtra) (38) Chirag Pathak (Saurashtra) (33)

Tamil Nadu v. Railways - Match drawn
Top scorers: Abhinav Mukund (T. Nadu) (162) Dinesh Karthik (T. Nadu) (113)
On the seven occasions at which Mukund has reached 50, he has reached the 100 mark on five - his highest score, after 12 matches, 300 not out. Mukund scored 108 runs on his Ranji Trophy debut last season.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/22/08 at 4:40 am

The battle of egos between Kevin Pietersen and Yuvraj Singh turned nasty yesterday as England's captain labelled Yuvraj a "pie-chucker" and suggested that he was a purveyor of "left-arm filth".

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/22/08 at 10:11 am

Gautam Gambhir and Yuvraj Singh guide India to 134-4, a lead of 285, at the close on day four of the second Test against England in Mohali.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/22/08 at 5:01 pm

Derbyshire bowling coach Mike Hendrick has left the club after four seasons in his post.

The former England international leaves as a result of a restructuring of the club's bowling coaching, implemented by head of cricket John Morris.

"I would like to thank Mike for the hard work he has put in during his time with Derbyshire," Morris said.

Hendrick, 60, played 167 matches for Derbyshire before rejoining the club as a coach in 2004.

He took 497 first-class wickets for the county, and also played 30 Test matches and 22 one-day internationals for England in his career.

Chairman Don Amott told the club's website: "First as a player and later as a coach, Mike has given the club long and distinguished service. I wish him all the very best for the future."

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/22/08 at 5:06 pm

Glamorgan sign South African fast bowler Garnett Kruger for the 2009 season.

Written By: Bobo on 12/22/08 at 6:22 pm

What's that you say? Derbyshire can bowl? News to me! Oh wait, maybe that's the problem. Ho ho ho.

Actually statistically towards the end of the season, Derbyshire were not doing too badly in the bowling department — in their last game of the season, against Leicestershire, he made personal best figures of 6–49 — his first five-wicket haul in first-class cricket.

Derbyshire achieved a total of eight five-fors last season — one of which, his second County Championship match against Gloucestershire, turned into a 10 wicket match thanks to figures of 4–77 in the second innings.

Written By: Bobo on 12/22/08 at 9:21 pm

The preliminary rounds of the Ranji Trophy are now complete. Top two teams from each division:

Mumbai
Gujarat
Tamil Nadu
Karnataka
Himachal Pradesh
Goa
Bengal
Madhya Pradesh

I'm not entirely sure what happens next. The minute I find news of the quarter finals, I shall post it. The games themselves start on Boxing Day.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/23/08 at 4:04 am

England begin the final session on 31-1 after India set the tourists 403 to win on day five of the second Test in Mohali, which is heading for a draw.

India declared on 251-7 and then removed Alastair Cook for 10.

That left Andrew Strauss and Ian Bell to take England to tea with 15 overs left before a draw can be agreed.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/23/08 at 4:09 am

What's that you say? Derbyshire can bowl? News to me! Oh wait, maybe that's the problem. Ho ho ho.

Actually statistically towards the end of the season, Derbyshire were not doing too badly in the bowling department — in their last game of the season, against Leicestershire, he made personal best figures of 6–49 — his first five-wicket haul in first-class cricket.

Derbyshire achieved a total of eight five-fors last season — one of which, his second County Championship match against Gloucestershire, turned into a 10 wicket match thanks to figures of 4–77 in the second innings.
For the last two seasons Middlesex have had John Lever as a bowling coach. It did show in the team's playing till the bowler had injuries.

From January 2009 Angus Fraser is set to become the new managing director of cricket at Middlesex

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/23/08 at 4:36 am

That's it, the bails have been removed by the umpires and the 2nd Test between India and England ends in a draw.

Written By: Bobo on 12/23/08 at 6:19 am

Next Test match kicks off on Christmas Day at 11:30pm, Australia v. South Africa.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/23/08 at 6:27 am

Next Test match kicks off on Christmas Day at 11:30pm, Australia v. South Africa.
On Christmas Day........................ ??

Written By: Bobo on 12/23/08 at 6:47 am

Well, it's over in Australia, so it really starts on Boxing Day over there, Christmas Day here.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/23/08 at 6:53 am

Well, it's over in Australia, so it really starts on Boxing Day over there, Christmas Day here.
That sounds more like it,

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/23/08 at 5:02 pm

Nottinghamshire re-sign Australian Adam Voges as their overseas player for the 2009 campaign.

Written By: Bobo on 12/23/08 at 7:00 pm

Latest round of Sheffield Shield matches:

Victoria v. Western Australia - Victoria win by 8 wickets
Top scorers: David Bandy (WA) (66) Andrew McDonald (Victoria) (60) Damien Wright (Victoria) (60)

Tasmania v. Queensland - Tasmania win by 6 wickets
Top scorers: Nick Kruger (Queensland) (41) Lee Carseldine (Queensland) (40)

New South Wales v. Southern Australia - New South Wales win by 75 runs
Top scorers: Michael Klinger (South Australia) (125) Phillip Hughes (NSW) (114)

Written By: Bobo on 12/23/08 at 8:56 pm

While it's still fresh in my head, I've checked out the 2009 cricket season for the first time. The season kicks off on April 15, a day before last season, which just like last season, will be a Wednesday. The final games of the season kick off on September 23.

The Pro40 league, which I may also cover if I have the time or if I remember as I should, lasts from July 13 to September 27. The Friends Provident Trophy kicks off on April 19. The first game of the 2009 Ashes should begin on July 8 in Glamorgan's SWALEC Stadium.

The SWALEC stadium, which opened in 1967, otherwise known as Sophia Gardens, was introduced as Glamorgan's stadium in the third game of the season, them having played at St. Helens, Swansea since their introduction into first-class cricket in 1921. The stadium still plays host to occasional County Championship games even today, Glamorgan having played 13 games there since 2000.

Of 2137 first-class matches thus far in their history, Glamorgan have won 456, or 21.3%. They have lost 708, or 33.1%. They have drawn 939, or 43.9%. In 87 years, they are yet to tie a first-class match.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/24/08 at 5:31 pm

Matthew Maynard hopes to sign Mark Cosgrove in January to complete Glamorgan's close-season recruitment.

Written By: Bobo on 12/25/08 at 3:30 pm

Former South African Test cricketer Ossie Dawson has died at the age of 89. Dawson made nine Test appearances for the side between 1947 and 1949. Dawson's brother Gerald played a single game for Lincolnshire, his brother John played Test cricket for South Africa, and his son played for Northern Transvaal.

Dawson came on a South African tour to Britain alongside former Sussex man Alan Melville. Of that South African team, only two remain alive today, while one, Tufty Mann, died at the age of 32 and was named one of the inaugural South African Cricket Annual cricketers of the year in 1952, the year in which he died.

Written By: Bobo on 12/27/08 at 9:53 pm

Dale Steyn hits his highest Test score against Australia on Day 4 of the Test. Result to come soon, I hope.

Written By: Bobo on 12/30/08 at 12:36 pm

The first round of Quaid-e-Azam Trophy matches is currently taking place.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/31/08 at 3:59 pm

Dale Steyn hits his highest Test score against Australia on Day 4 of the Test. Result to come soon, I hope.
...and a superb innings it was too!

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/31/08 at 4:00 pm

In the New Year's Honours, BBC cricket commentator Christopher Martin-Jenkins is appointed MBE.

Written By: Bobo on 01/04/09 at 8:07 pm

The two Ranji Trophy semi-finals going on right about now, Mumbai v. Saurashtra and Tamil Nadu v. Uttar Pradesh. Both matches are very much offence-fests. Saurashtra v. Uttar Pradesh faced off in a semi-final last year, so if both teams reach the final this time around, things could get mighty interesting.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/05/09 at 5:35 am

Ex-captain David Gower believes Peter Moores could be dismissed as England coach before his side's tour to the West Indies

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/06/09 at 11:36 am

Mushtaq Ahmed has been cleared to coach England's spinners and his former county Sussex after the conclusion of new work permit regulations.

The 38-year-old former Pakistan leg-spinner will split his time during a three-month stint, starting in June.

"I am looking forward to passing on my experience to England spinners as well as the whole Sussex squad," he said.

"It's a great honour to come back to my 'family' at Sussex and working with the England and Wales Cricket Board."

Written By: Bobo on 01/10/09 at 6:42 pm

New Zealand v. West Indies finishes in a no result, while the Australia v. South Africa which I forgot to report on finished in a 103-run victory for the Aussies. The winning team handed a debut to Andrew McDonald, who, aside from one blip against Western Australia, has had a very impressive domestic season thus far for his team, Victoria.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/16/09 at 10:53 am

Australian opening batsman Matthew Hayden has announced his retirement from international cricket after a 17-year first-class career.

The 37-year-old announced his decision in a news conference at his home ground, the Gabba, in Brisbane.

He later took a lap of honour during Tuesday evening's Twenty20 match between Australia and South Africa.

"I have loved so much playing cricket, and I count it as such an honour to have represented my country," he said.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/16/09 at 10:54 am

Debutant David Warner hit the second-fastest Twenty20 fifty as Australia beat South Africa by 52 runs.

The 22-year-old, who has yet to make his first-class debut but has impressed in domestic one-dayers for New South Wales, blasted 89 runs off 43 balls.

Written By: Bobo on 01/16/09 at 1:12 pm

Mumbai win the Ranji Trophy. Full result soon.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/19/09 at 5:34 am

Director of cricket Tim Tremlett says Hampshire could once again play first-class cricket on the Isle of Wight.

Written By: Bobo on 01/19/09 at 12:39 pm

Ranji Trophy semi-finals:

Mumbai v. Saurashtra - Match drawn
Top scorers: Waseem Jaffer (Mumbai) (301) Sachin Tendulkar (Mumbai) (122*) (retired hurt)

Tamil Nadu v. Uttar Pradesh - Match drawn
Top scores: Shivakant Shukla (178*) Parvinder Singh (138)
Both scores were first-class bests, Parvinder passing his previous highest of 68, Shukla passing his first-class best of 131.

Written By: Bobo on 01/19/09 at 12:44 pm

Ranji Trophy final:

Mumbai v. Uttar Pradesh - Mumbai win by 243 runs
Top scorers: Rohit Sharma (Mumbai) (141) Vinayak Samant (Mumbai) (113)

What a day for the Mumbai opener and wicket-keeper to score his first-class best. Mumbai win the tournament, while Zaheer Khan takes first-innings figures of 7-54.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/19/09 at 12:47 pm

Ranji Trophy final:

Mumbai v. Uttar Pradesh - Mumbai win by 243 runs
Top scorers: Rohit Sharma (Mumbai) (141) Vinayak Samant (Mumbai) (113)

What a day for the Mumbai opener and wicket-keeper to score his first-class best. Mumbai win the tournament, while Zaheer Khan takes first-innings figures of 7-54.
Mumbia win with SR Tendulkar getting a duck?

Written By: Bobo on 01/19/09 at 12:51 pm

Yep, pretty insane stuff. I haven't read much about the match itself, I might have to go around asking the guys on Wiki to see what they have to say about it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/19/09 at 12:55 pm

Yep, pretty insane stuff. I haven't read much about the match itself, I might have to go around asking the guys on Wiki to see what they have to say about it.
Of course Mumbia would win, AB Agarkar was in the side and he is an ex-Middlesex player.

Written By: Bobo on 01/19/09 at 1:00 pm

Aside from the drawn match, if you look at Mumbai's results this season, none of them has been even a moderately close match.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/20/09 at 2:39 am

Gloucestershire batsman Kadeer Ali has signed a new contract that will keep him at Nevil Road until 2011.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/21/09 at 3:08 pm

England assistant coach Andy Flower is unsure on the idea of taking over as head coach as his side depart for the tour of the West Indies.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/21/09 at 3:08 pm

Gloucestershire have appointed Alex Gidman as their new captain for 2009.

Batsman Gidman, who has been vice-captain since 2006, replaces seamer Jon Lewis, who stepped down in November after two years in charge.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/21/09 at 3:09 pm

Middlesex's new managing director of cricket Angus Fraser is hopeful of signing a batsman for the 2009 season.

The 43-year-old, who played 290 games for Middlesex, officially began work at Lord's on Tuesday and is already striving to improve the squad.

Fraser told BBC London 94.9: "Nothing has been signed yet but I think we've got a nice young batsman who has got a very encouraging future in the game.

"I'm excited by the prospect of him playing at the start of the season."

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/26/09 at 6:05 am

Kevin Pietersen smashes a century as England reach 424-8 on the opening day against St Kitts & Nevis while new captain Andrew Strauss falls to a second ball duck

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/26/09 at 12:17 pm

Andrew Flintoff will have a scan on a side strain picked up prior to England's opening match of their tour of the West Indies.

Written By: Bobo on 01/26/09 at 12:21 pm

In possibly a week and a half time, I hope to run down all of this season's Sri Lankan Premier Championship results.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/26/09 at 12:29 pm

Owais Shah has also dropped out of the tour opener due to a scratched cornea.

Shah hit an unbeaten 125 as England declared on 424-8 after the first day's play at Warner Park but later complained of blurred vision.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/27/09 at 1:56 pm

England in the West Indies

England are optimistic Andrew Flintoff will be fit for the first Test against West Indies after a scan reveals no serious injury.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/28/09 at 2:06 am

England in the West Indies

Captain Andrew Strauss scores a hundred and Monty Panesar takes seven wickets in the match as England thrash a St Kitts & Nevis XI by 217 runs.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/28/09 at 2:07 am

Left-handed opening Australian batsman Mark Cosgrove has joined Glamorgan as an overseas player for the start of 2009.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/28/09 at 6:33 am

England fast bowler Stuart Broad turns down the chance to take part in the Indian Premier League.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/30/09 at 10:36 am

BBC Test Match Special statistician and scorer Bill Frindall has died at the age of 69 after suffering from Legionnaire's disease.

Known as 'Bearders' and also dubbed 'the Bearded Wonder' by commentator Brian Johnston, Frindall was the longest serving member of the TMS team.

He joined the BBC in 1966 and wrote several statistical cricket books, editing the Playfair annual since 1986.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/30/09 at 10:39 am

Batsman Mark Ramprakash signs a new two-year extension to his Surrey contract, which will run to the end of the 2011 season.

Written By: Bobo on 01/30/09 at 11:57 am

Sh... I just read about Frindall. What an incredible man. He will be missed.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/30/09 at 12:10 pm

Sh... I just read about Frindall. What an incredible man.com He will be missed.
It was his statistics that made cricket commentary more interesting.

Written By: Bobo on 02/01/09 at 5:27 am

The ICC has U-turned yet again over the result of the infamous 2006 Oval Test. This time they've actually consulted the law-book - surprise surprise! - and they've found that they were wrong to call the match a draw.

Written By: Bobo on 02/07/09 at 1:45 pm

Oh dear oh dear.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/11/09 at 4:53 am

The ICC has U-turned yet again over the result of the infamous 2006 Oval Test. This time they've actually consulted the law-book - surprise surprise! - and they've found that they were wrong to call the match a draw.
So England won this game?

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/11/09 at 4:53 am

Lancashire name Peter Moores as head coach - five weeks after he was axed from the same role with the England team.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/13/09 at 5:04 am

Owais Shah is hoping for a place in England's team for the second Test against West Indies which starts today.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/13/09 at 8:46 am

Serious doubts over the condition of the outfield disrupt day one of the second Test between West Indies and England in Antigua.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/13/09 at 8:54 am

Alan Hurst, the match referee, confirms that play has been abandoned for the day. "The bowlers have deemed the run-ups to be a safety hazard," says Hurst. "Everyone felt, including the umpires that it would be okay. It would have been jumping the gun to call it off before play."

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/13/09 at 12:39 pm

The second test has been abandoned and the Third Test will start on Sunday at the ARG.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/16/09 at 4:31 am

Andrew Strauss makes a superb century as England reach 301-3 at stumps on day one of third Test against West Indies.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/16/09 at 10:40 am

Paul Collingwood passes fifty as England reach 391-4 at lunch on day two of the third Test at the Antigua Recreation Ground.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/16/09 at 10:42 am

Former Notts seamer Andy Pick replaces Phil DeFreitas as the new bowling coach at Trent Bridge.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/16/09 at 10:43 am

Middlesex have signed Australian opening batsman Phillip Hughes on a short-term contract.

The 20-year-old joins the club for the opening six weeks of the new season.

The young left-hander has been brought in to help cover the absence of overseas signing Murali Kartik, who will play in the Indian Premier League.

"To have signed Phillip for the early part of the season is a major coup for Middlesex," said new managing director of cricket Angus Fraser.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/16/09 at 12:58 pm

The England selectors today announced that the Middlesex wicketkeeper Ben Scott has been added to the England Lions squad to tour New Zealand later this month.

Scott, 27, will join the England Lions squad in New Zealand alongside Worcestershire wicketkeeper Steven Davies who was recently named in England’s One-Day squad to tour West Indies.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/17/09 at 3:41 am

Paul Collingwood struck his eighth Test century as England declared on 566-9, with West Indies closing on 55-1 after two days of the third Test in Antigua.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/17/09 at 6:47 am

Former Gloucestershire and England all-rounder Mark Alleyne has been appointed MCC head coach.

The 40-year-old, who has also coached Gloucestershire, succeeds Clive Radley, who is retiring after a 48-year association with Lord’s.

Alleyne's new job involves overseeing the MCC Young Cricketers and developing coaching structures throughout the MCC.

He will take up the post in April, leaving his current post as coach of England's under-15s.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/18/09 at 6:15 am

Giles Clarke has defended his position as England and Wales Cricket Board chairman depsite the fraud charges made against Sir Allen Stanford.

Texan billionaire and cricket promoter Stanford was charged on Monday over a $8bn (£5.6bn) investment fraud.

As ECB chairman, Clarke struck a deal with Stanford to play five $20m matches, with plans in place for new 20-20 tournaments in England as well.

"I will not be resigning," he said in the Independent.

The ECB, in tandem with the West Indies Cricket Board, said on Monday it had suspended negotiations with Stanford as a result of the charges.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/18/09 at 6:16 am

Graeme Swann had cause for celebration after bagging his maiden Test five-wicket haul to help put England in charge of the third Test in Antigua

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/18/09 at 11:43 am

England lost three wickets in quick succession as their lead approached 500 on day four of the third Test against West Indies in Antigua.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/19/09 at 8:08 am

Rain threatens to wreck England's hopes of victory on the final day of the second Test against West Indies in Antigua.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/19/09 at 8:08 am

Former England captain Alec Stewart has joined his old county Surrey as a coach in their new management team.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/19/09 at 10:10 am

Kent paceman Amjad Khan and Essex all-rounder Ravi Bopara will join up with the England squad in the West Indies as cover for Andrew Flintoff.

Flintoff, 31, is suffering from a hip injury that has hit England's hopes of winning the third Test in Antigua.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/20/09 at 3:42 am

A brave batting display from the tail-enders saw the West Indies claim a superb draw to deny England a series-levelling victory in Antigua.

The home side looked set for defeat at 322-8, but resilient batting from Daren Powell, assisted by Sulieman Benn and Fidel Edwards, rescued the match.

Stuart Broad (3-51) took the vital wickets of Ramnaresh Sarwan (106) and Shivnarine Chanderpaul (55).

The pair put on 148 runs to give their side the chance to earn a famous draw.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/20/09 at 4:56 pm

The England and Wales Cricket Board terminates all of its contracts with Texan billionaire Sir Allen Stanford.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/21/09 at 5:28 am

Yorkshire batsman Anthony McGrath has signed a new three-year contract with the Headingley side.

The 33-year-old, who was recently named the county's captain, made his debut for the club almost 14 years ago and is entering his benefit season.

"I'm delighted to stay at the club for the next three years," McGrath said.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/21/09 at 5:29 am

The England and Wales Cricket Board terminates all of its contracts with Texan billionaire Sir Allen Stanford.
England and Wales Cricket Board chairman Giles Clarke has the support of at least 11 of the 18 counties, BBC Radio Five Live has learned.

Clarke is under fire for entering into a deal with Sir Allen Stanford, who on Wednesday was charged with a $8bn (£5.6bn) investment fraud in the US.

On Wednesday the chairmen of Hampshire and Leicestershire called for the 55-year-old Clarke to resign.

But Glamorgan, Durham and Middlesex have publicly backed Clarke.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/21/09 at 12:44 pm

England's Andrew Flintoff will miss the fourth Test against West Indies tour with a hip problem.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/23/09 at 2:42 am

After flying in and still jet-lagged, Ravi Bopara fires an unbeaten 124 as England take charge of the two-day match against a Barbados Cricket Association President's XI.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/23/09 at 10:27 am

England wicketkeeper Matt Prior will miss the fourth Test against West Indies after flying home to be with his wife, who gave birth on Sunday.

Prior received the news at 0430 GMT that wife Emily had the couple's first child, a boy.

Prior had said he would fly home if the baby arrived early and was due to leave the tour temporarily on 2 March.

Tim Ambrose will wear the gloves in Barbados, where the penultimate Test gets under way at 1400 GMT on Thursday.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/25/09 at 3:41 am

Pakistan pace bowler Rana Naved-ul-Hasan will rejoin Yorkshire for the new season as their overseas player

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/25/09 at 9:11 am

Australian spin legend Shane Warne says England have no chance of winning the Ashes if Andrew Flintoff is not fit to play.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/26/09 at 5:31 am

Recently signed for Middlesex for the 2009 cricket season, Philip Hughes was out for a duck on the fourth ball in his debut for Australia.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/26/09 at 5:31 am

Ravi Bopara is set to replace the injured Andrew Flintoff at number six for England's fourth Test against the West Indies in Barbados on Thursday.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/26/09 at 3:23 pm

Andrew Strauss and Alastair Cook forged England's highest opening stand against West Indies as the tourists gained the upper hand in the fourth Test.

Strauss (142) was dropped on 58 but made an eye-catching 16th Test century as he and Cook (94) put on 229.

But West Indies fought hard and took the morale-boosting wickets of Strauss, Cook and Owais Shah (7) after tea.

Kevin Pietersen was then joined by Paul Collingwood and the pair led England to 301-3 at stumps on day one in Barbados.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/26/09 at 3:24 pm

Australia recovered from a poor start to finish the opening day of the first Test against South Africa on 254-5 when bad light stopped play in Johannesburg

Written By: Bobo on 02/26/09 at 9:48 pm

Here's something I'd never really seen before: The great Doctor, WG Grace, whose playing career spanned, in total, 50 years, his first match came during the 1859 season, when he was just ten years old. He scored 0 in the first innings in which he batted, and 0 not out in the second. Upon that kind of form, most young cricketers at that time would be dropped from the game forever. :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/27/09 at 3:35 am

Here's something I'd never really seen before: The great Doctor, WG Grace, whose playing career spanned, in total, 50 years, his first match came during the 1859 season, when he was just ten years old. He scored 0 in the first innings in which he batted, and 0 not out in the second. Upon that kind of form, most young cricketers at that time would be dropped from the game forever. :D
The same happened to Graham Gooch on his debut Test, but he manage to prove himself in future matches.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/27/09 at 4:52 am

Australia batsman David Warner joins Durham for their 2009 Twenty20 Cup campaign.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/27/09 at 8:16 am

Andrew Flintoff is to return home from England's tour of the West Indies on Friday to have treatment on his injured right hip.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/27/09 at 8:16 am

Worcestershire's overseas signing Ashley Noffke is to have minor back surgery and could miss the start of the season.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/27/09 at 1:45 pm

England declare on 600-6 with over an hour still to play on day two of the fourth Test against West Indies in Barbados.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/27/09 at 2:19 pm

Fourth Test

England 600/6d
West Indies 13/1

4.5 overs
Anderson to Gayle, OUT, huge shout, and that was a massive inducker that Gayle didn't read at all ... Umpire Tiffin says no, and it's probably a good shout. England ponder for a moment, and finally go for the referral. The replay shows it pitches just inside the line and is heading for leg stump ... Tiffin reverses his decision, and off Gayle goes! 

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/28/09 at 9:08 am

Fourth Test

England 600/6d
West Indies 121/2

33.2 overs

Swann to Smith, OUT, a decent stride, rapped on the front pad, a big appeal and the finger goes up! It looked pretty unremarkable on first evidence, and sure enough it goes to a referral. But there's nothing there that can reprieve Smith, the ball struck him just inside the line, and the ball would have gone on to clip the off stump. He's on his way, and England have their breakthrough!

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/28/09 at 9:55 am

Fourth Test

England 600/6d
West Indies 159/3

47.4 overs

Swann to Hinds, OUT, beaten for pace I think as Hinds comes forward, trying to defend, but is rapped in front. And up goes the finger! He ponders whether to refer it before trudging off disconsolately and replays indicate that would just have clipped the leg stump 

RO Hinds lbw b Swann 15 (46b 2x4 0x6) SR: 32.60 

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/28/09 at 4:13 pm

Ramnaresh Sarwan hits an unbeaten 184 as West Indies close 202 behind England at 398-5 after three days of the fourth Test.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/02/09 at 7:06 am

Former England captain Graham Gooch believes that Test cricket is suffering as a result of "lifeless" pitches.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/02/09 at 7:07 am

Ramnaresh Sarwan hit a magnificent 291 to lead West Indies to their best-ever score in Barbados on day four of the fourth Test against England.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/02/09 at 8:09 am

Today is England Captain Andrew Strauss' 32nd birthday, let's hope it will be a happy one for him.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/02/09 at 8:40 am

It ought to be a straightforward day for England. The weather is fine (an early shower passed some time ago) and, if you need reminding of the match situation, England are trailing by 143. The pitch is flatter than my mother's ironing board but, well, this is England and a calamitous collapse cannot be ruled out.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/02/09 at 9:38 am

Fourth Test

England 600/6d & 88/1
West Indies 749/d

22.5 overs
Gayle to Strauss, OUT, bowled him! Slightly quicker ball on off stump and it drifts into Strauss who, attempting a cut, merely chops it onto his stumps 

AJ Strauss b Gayle 38 (72b 5x4 0x6) SR: 52.77 

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/02/09 at 9:38 am

Fourth Test

England 600/6d & 88/1
West Indies 749/d

22.5 overs
Gayle to Strauss, OUT, bowled him! Slightly quicker ball on off stump and it drifts into Strauss who, attempting a cut, merely chops it onto his stumps 

AJ Strauss b Gayle 38 (72b 5x4 0x6) SR: 52.77 

Not the best of birthday presents?

Written By: Bobo on 03/02/09 at 10:54 pm

Cricket invented in Belgium?

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/03/09 at 1:48 am

Gunmen have attacked a bus carrying the Sri Lankan cricket team on its way to play in the Pakistani city of Lahore.

Full report on BBC News Online

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/03/09 at 1:49 am

I thought the French had a claim in that, but now I will read the report.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/03/09 at 1:50 am

... on Flanders Field ?

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/03/09 at 11:52 am

John Bracewell is confident he can make an immediate impact on his return to Gloucestershire as director of cricket.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/04/09 at 2:01 am

Sri Lanka's cricket team arrives back in Colombo after leaving Pakistan following the attacks by gunmen.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/04/09 at 6:21 am

Gloucestershire are close to signing New Zealand all-rounder James Franklin as their overseas player for 2009.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/04/09 at 2:40 pm

England's contingent of Indian Premier League players will receive further security advice before deciding whether to take part.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/05/09 at 2:28 am

Warwickshire's former England leg-spinner Ian Salisbury has announced his retirement from first-class cricket.

The 39-year-old has instead decided to take up a coaching role with Surrey.

Salisbury initially accepted a two-year extension to his Bears playing contract but will now replace South Africa-bound Nadeem Shahid as second team coach.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/05/09 at 9:47 am

England star Paul Collingwood says he has security worries about playing in the IPL although he still expects to play in the tournament.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/05/09 at 2:36 pm

England have selection issues to resolve as they seek a winning combination for the final Test against West Indies on Friday.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/06/09 at 1:05 am

Essex wicketkeeper James Foster signs a contract extension that will keep him at Chelmsford until 2011.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/06/09 at 5:28 am

The Indian Premier League will go ahead as planned - despite the attack on Sri Lanka's team in Pakistan, insists IPL commissioner Lalit Modi.

Modi admitted that schedule changes will be needed because of clashes with national election polling dates.

India's home minister Palaniappan Chidambara wanted the tournament be held after the general elections.

And Modi said: "I want to assure all our fans, sponsors and all stakeholders that the tournament is on."

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/06/09 at 8:42 am

Fifth Test at Queen's Park Oval, Port of Spain, Trinidad

England 26/1
West Indies yet to bat

7.5 overs
Powell to Cook, OUT, full length, just outside off, and a feathered edge through to the keeper! That's a lovely delivery, just leaving the batsman, and it's the breakthrough that West Indies desperately needed! 

AN Cook c Ramdin b Powell 12 (37m 24b 1x4 0x6) SR: 50.00 

Now it is West Indies v Middlesex as Strauss and Shah are fellow team members.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/06/09 at 9:31 am

Leicestershire are in advanced talks with New Zealand fast bowler Iain O'Brien to replace last year's overseas professional Boeta Dippenaar

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/06/09 at 12:12 pm

England 133/1
West Indies yet to bat

47.2  overs
Shah is cramping up badly here. The physio's coming on. His fingers are closing on themselves - looks and sounds horrible but it's just the humidity and the fact he holds his bat so incredibly hard. Very tense at the crease. The physio's bending them back to try and get them in position again. Shah also cramped up on his debut, and had to retire hurt. And he's now leaving the field here, too, I'm afraid to say. His hands are in a dreadful state.

OA Shah retired hurt 29 (115b 4x4 0x6) SR: 25.21 

Kevin Pietersen replacing Shah now

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/06/09 at 3:17 pm

Stumps

England 258/2
West Indies yet to bat

England captain Andrew Strauss hits his 17th Test century as the tourists make 258-2 on day one of the fifth Test against West Indies.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/07/09 at 8:18 am

Fifth Test at Queen's Park Oval, Port of Spain, Trinidad -Day Two

England 263/3
West Indies yet to bat

92.5 overs
Edwards to Strauss, OUT, good grief, what a misjudgment! Strauss has been bowled around his legs as he stepped across his stumps to flick to leg. The first wicket of the morning is in the bag! 

AJ Strauss b Edwards 142 (271b 11x4 0x6) SR: 52.39

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/07/09 at 5:00 pm

Paul Collingwood and Matt Prior make centuries as England take a lead of 454 over West Indies in Trinidad.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/08/09 at 8:59 am

In the Durban Test (South v Australia) Phil Hughes is now the youngest player to score a century in both innings of a Test, surpassing George Headley

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/08/09 at 8:59 am

In the Durban Test (South v Australia) Phil Hughes is now the youngest player to score a century in both innings of a Test, surpassing George Headley
Don't forget he has signed up for Middlesex this year.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/08/09 at 3:33 pm

Leicestershire are in advanced talks with New Zealand fast bowler Iain O'Brien to replace last year's overseas professional Boeta Dippenaar.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/09/09 at 3:11 am

A gritty unbroken stand of 146 between Shivnarine Chanderpaul and Brendan Nash took West Indies to 349-4, 197 behind after three days of the final Test

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/09/09 at 3:45 am

Worcestershire's Imran Arif can play at New Road as an English qualified player after being granted a British passport.

After impressing in 2008 as an overseas player, the 25-year-old Pakistan-born paceman was offered a two-year contract subject to gaining British citizenship.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/10/09 at 2:20 am

England close on 80-3 with a lead of 82 going into the last day of the final Test against West Indies in Trinidad.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/10/09 at 3:16 pm

Fifth Test

West Indies require another 142 runs with 4 wickets remaining

Written By: Bobo on 03/10/09 at 3:42 pm

Denis Begbie, 94, has died. He was the third-oldest living Test cricketer at the time of his death. He began his career in the 1933-34 season for Transvaal, and, having taken seven years (and one day) out during the war, he returned to the team in 1945.

Begbie made 21 appearances during a 1947 tour of the British Isles, and made five Test appearances - three in 1948-49 and two in 1949-50.

As well as cricket, Begbie was a scratch golfer, and had been a member of his local golf club for 80 years.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/10/09 at 4:02 pm

Fifth Test, West Indies v England

West Indies require another 131 runs with 3 wickets remaining to win

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/11/09 at 3:36 am

England fell agonisingly short of victory as West Indies held on to draw the final Test and win the series 1-0.

The Windies were set 240 from a minimum 66 overs and after losing three wickets in the first 19, never chased it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/11/09 at 7:47 am

Worcestershire pace-man Simon Jones will start bowling soon for the first time since a knee operation.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/12/09 at 2:08 am

Lancashire are boosted by a £2.65m windfall from the Northwest Regional Development Agency to help the redevelopment of Old Trafford.

Written By: Bobo on 03/12/09 at 8:54 am

The new English season starts on April 15 -- just a month away! Hopefully I'll put more effort into maintaining that thread.com

Written By: Bobo on 03/12/09 at 8:58 am

How long will we have to wait until Gloucestershire record their first win since August 30, 2007?

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/12/09 at 9:00 am

The new English season starts on April 15 -- just a month away! Hopefully I'll put more effort into maintaining that thread.com
The true season starts for on April 9th with the MCC v Durham (the County Champions) at Lord's.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/12/09 at 9:01 am

How long will we have to wait until Gloucestershire record their first win since August 30, 2007?
Oh dear...

But, Mark Alleyne, the former Gloucestershire and England all-rounder and Gloucestershire Head Coach, has been appointed as MCC Head Coach, the position that was previous held by Clive Radley.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/12/09 at 6:11 pm

Kevin Pietersen believes English participation in the Indian Premier League could be key to improving England's record in one-day cricket.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/13/09 at 2:17 am

South Africa have appointed Jacques Kallis as captain for the third Test against Australia on 19 March.

Kallis replaces Ashwell Prince, who was set to lead the side in the absence of Graeme Smith but stood down to focus on his new role as opening batsman.

Smith is out of the Cape Town Test with a broken finger, while opener Neil McKenzie and paceman Morne Morkel have been dropped from the squad.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/13/09 at 10:29 am

Indian Premier League officials are having to submit a second revised playing schedule to their home ministry in order to receive security clearance.

The IPL is scheduled to be held from 10 April to 24 May, while national elections take place across the country between 16 April and 13 May.

The home ministry claims to be short of resources due to the clash of dates.

Security is high on the agenda after the attack on Sri Lanka cricket team in Lahore, Pakistan earlier this month.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/13/09 at 11:43 am

Essex first-team coach Paul Grayson says he will use the pre-season tour of Dubai and Sharjah to experiment.

Written By: Bobo on 03/14/09 at 7:38 am

The Australian Sheffield Shield final is currently being replayed. Full results for this year's Sheffield Shield coming up after we find a winner between Victoria, who topped the group and remained undefeated in this season's competition, and Queensland, who have won four and lost three of their ten games this season.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/14/09 at 9:46 am

Surrey sign New Zealand all-rounder Grant Elliott as their overseas player for the opening weeks of the new county season.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/16/09 at 2:16 am

Ramnaresh Sarwan hits a stylish 59 as West Indies beat England by six wickets in the Twenty20 international.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/17/09 at 2:33 am

England thrash West Indies by 146 runs to book their place in the final of the Women's World Cup.

Written By: Bobo on 03/17/09 at 7:28 am

Bloomfield Cricket and Athletic Club win the Sri Lankan List A Premier Tournament, restricting Tamil Union to just 129 runs. Bloomfield's Sanjaya Gangodawila scores a List A best of 70 not out, while Murali contributes just six runs to the Tamil Union total.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/17/09 at 7:33 am

England thrash West Indies by 146 runs to book their place in the final of the Women's World Cup.
Now I have to work out when the final is played.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/17/09 at 9:59 am

Kent sign Australia seam bowler Stuart Clark as their overseas player for the first part of the 2009 season.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/18/09 at 1:45 am

Andrew Strauss is hopeful of recovering from a hamstring injury in time to lead England in Friday's opening one-day international against the West Indies

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/19/09 at 4:45 am

Paul Collingwood is chosen to lead England ahead of Kevin Pietersen if captain Andrew Strauss is not fit for the one-dayer against West Indies.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/19/09 at 4:50 am

Worcestershire are looking for a new main sponsor following the collapse of electrical retailer Apollo 2000.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/19/09 at 4:51 am

Lord Naseby has succeeded Earl Spencer as president of Northants Cricket.

As Michael Morris, he was MP for Northampton South for 23 years between 1974 and 1997, and is a former deputy speaker of the House of Commons.

Earl Spencer becomes a patron of the club, along with businessman and ex-committee member Martin George.

Nick Wilson, the son of Northants' former chairman and president Lynn, has joined the board of directors, along with Martin Christie.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/20/09 at 2:10 am

Captain Andrew Strauss is fit to play in England's opening one-day match against the West Indies in Guyana on Friday.

Written By: Guest Bobo on 03/20/09 at 9:59 am

New County Championship season kicks off on April 15. Sussex's first game is against Lancashire on the 21st.

Middlesex kick off against Glamorgan on the 22nd.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/20/09 at 10:00 am

Middlesex kick off against Glamorgan on the 22nd.
Guest ?

I hope to be there.

Written By: Bobo on 03/20/09 at 12:18 pm

Guest ?

I hope to be there.

Sorry about that Phil, I was on a public computer.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/20/09 at 12:33 pm

Sorry about that Phil, I was on a public computer.
I thought so.

Rain has intervened at the West Indies v England ODI

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/21/09 at 2:54 pm

Gloucestershire secure New Zealand all-rounder James Franklin as their overseas player for 2009.

Written By: Bobo on 03/23/09 at 5:35 am

Yesterday the Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy started in India - it's a Twenty20 tournament relating played by the first-class Indian cricket teams in that year's Ranji Trophy.

There are matches every day between the 22nd and the 27th, quarter-finals between April 2nd and April 6th, and the final on April 8th.

Since this thread has mostly centred on the Ranji Trophy I will make sure to bring the results as soon as I get them.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/23/09 at 7:02 am

England and Wales are the front-runners to host the Indian Premier League, which is being moved out of the Asian country because it clashes with elections.

....but can the fixtures be fit in with the start of the English Cricket Season.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/24/09 at 8:28 am

Former Glamorgan all-rounder Geoff Holmes has died suddenly aged 50.

The Welsh county's player of the year in 1988 played 209 first-class matches, averaging 28.49 runs, for Glamorgan during the 1980s and early 1990s.

Holmes was a Cricket Board of Wales director and a Glamorgan statement read: "Geoff was a dedicated servant of cricket in Wales and will be missed.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with Geoff's wife Christine, his children, family and friends at this sad time."

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/24/09 at 8:33 am

West Indian umpire Steve Bucknor has been praised after he stood in his 128th and last Test in South Africa's win over Australia in Cape Town.

His final international game before retiring will be the one-dayer between England and West Indies on 29 March.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/24/09 at 10:58 am

The Indian Premier League will now be hosted by South Africa following the decision to move it from India.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/24/09 at 10:58 am

England are boosted by the news that Andrew Flintoff will be fit for the third one-day international with the West Indies.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/24/09 at 11:59 am

The Indian Premier League will now be hosted by South Africa following the decision to move it from India.
IPL boss Lalit Modi opted for South Africa following talks with Cricket South Africa (CSA), ultimately because of the favourable weather conditions.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/25/09 at 2:08 am

Derbyshire sign ex-Lancashire captain Stuart Law to play in one-day games for them in the coming season.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/26/09 at 6:33 am

England bowler James Anderson admits the return of all-rounder Andrew Flintoff has boosted the side ahead of Friday's third one-day international in Barbados.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/26/09 at 6:33 am

South Africa fast bowler Andre Nel has announced his immediate retirement from international cricket.

The 31-year-old has decided instead to sign a three-year contract with English county side Surrey.

"I am delighted to be joining Surrey as I enter a new phase of my career," said Nel, who previously had spells with Northamptonshire and Essex.

One of the game's most charismatic performers, he took 231 wickets in all forms of cricket for South Africa.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/26/09 at 6:34 am

Former Derbyshire wicket-keeper Bob Taylor has been named as the county's new president.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/27/09 at 3:45 pm

In the 3rd ODI, England are bowled out for 117 as they crash to a humiliating eight-wicket defeat by West Indies.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/27/09 at 3:45 pm

Derbyshire reluctantly agree to allow Charl Langeveldt to play in the Indian Premier League this season.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/28/09 at 5:02 am

Worcestershire and England batsman Vikram Solanki has been elected as the new chairman of the Professional Cricketers' Association.

The PCA is the representative body for past, present and future first class cricketers in England and Wales.

Solanki, 32, was elected ahead of Shaun Udal, Dominic Cork, Mal Loye, Michael Brown and Stephen Peters.

"I am honoured that the players have chosen me to represent them as chairman," said Solanki.

Written By: Bobo on 03/29/09 at 9:10 pm

Since it's only two weeks until the new season starts, I've started a new thread, Phil.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/30/09 at 1:41 am

Since it's only two weeks until the new season starts, I've started a new thread, Phil.
Why not just keep as a cricket thread?

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/01/09 at 1:03 am

Kevin Pietersen says he will not go on another long England tour without his wife.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/01/09 at 1:03 am

England's final one-day international could be in jeopardy due to a dispute between the West Indies Cricket Board and the Windies Players' Association.

The Wipa has rejected the WICB's latest proposals over players' salaries and the infrastructure in domestic cricket.

It has called for further talks to prevent the possibility of strike action disrupting Friday's game.

The tour finale is due to be staged in St Lucia's Beausejour Stadium, with the one-day series tied at 2-2.

"It is hoped that negotiations may be continued and resolution of the outstanding issues achieved without further delay," said a Wipa statement.

England levelled the one-day series on Sunday thanks to Andrew Strauss' unbeaten 79.

It was only England's second victory of an arduous winter.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/02/09 at 2:53 am

Temporary England coach Andy Flower is a strong candidate to get the job permanently, says England and Wales Cricket Board chief Hugh Morris.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/03/09 at 8:34 am

Rain delays the start as England and West Indies face each other in the final one-day international in St Lucia with the series up for grabs.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/03/09 at 12:20 pm

England will bat first in a 29-over match after West Indies win the toss in the final one-dayer in St Lucia, after the start is delayed by rain.

...but my wife wants to watch something else!

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/04/09 at 4:33 am

An Andrew Flintoff hat-trick leads England to a 26-run win against West Indies to earn an historic 3-2 one-day series triumph.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/07/09 at 8:26 am

India claim their first series win in New Zealand since 1968 after rain ends the third Test in Wellington as a draw.

Check for new replies or respond here...