inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2008-2009 NBA season

Written By: tv on 10/30/08 at 5:19 pm

This a board for your comments and team observations about the NBA regular season and playoffs thoughout the next 9 months.

Subject: Re: 2008-2009 NBA season

Written By: MrCleveland on 11/02/08 at 4:44 pm

Cleveland Steamers Basketball Club (Yes, to me all of the sports teams in Cleveland are now known as the Steamers.) may be in the Finals...and lose since that's the Cleveland Tradition!

I really need to move out of hell!

Written By: nally on 11/02/08 at 7:30 pm

All I can say right now is Go Lakers!!

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/02/08 at 8:14 pm

IT may be the Bulls year again :D

Written By: karen on 11/02/08 at 8:16 pm

Go Celtics!

Written By: Bobo on 11/02/08 at 8:40 pm

I don't specifically support any basketball team, so I'll say, go Steamers!

Written By: 2oldskool on 11/05/08 at 1:42 pm

Go Lakers! Looking goo and healthy...lets keep it that way.  ;D Gasol watch out for your little brother! Haha.

Written By: tv on 11/05/08 at 5:40 pm

Ok 2 observations:

1.) The Spurs start 0-3 and Manu Ginonoli is out for what the next month. I mean too throw a month of games away in the Western Conference is alot to ask. I mean the Western  Conference is so top heavy especially the division that the Spurs are in the Southwest Division with New Orleans, Houston, and Dallas. I mean the Spurs will get probably get anywhere from the 4-6 seed in the playoffs at this point. I mean Tony Parker and Tim Duncan can only take the Spurs so far and its like as Manu Ginoboli goes the Spurs go and Manu's not even on the court. Its a shame Tim Duncan is playing real good too.

2.) The Pistons trade to get Allen Iverson how will this work out? How is Iverson gonna play with Richard Hamilton? I mean Hamilton isn't the type of player too get mad real easy but if Iverson throws up alot of shots that miss on a game to game basis I don;t know. I mean Rip is a player that gets off of screens for open jump shots but will Iverson wait to get off that screen or will Iverson be throwing up alot of shots? Plus the Pistons just signed Hamilton to a 3 year deal but Iversons contract expires at the end of this season.

Written By: nally on 11/11/08 at 11:04 pm

Go Lakers! Looking goo and healthy...lets keep it that way.  ;D Gasol watch out for your little brother! Haha.

According to the standings, they are unbeaten after 5 games!! Woo hoo!!! :D

Written By: tv on 11/12/08 at 1:45 pm

Newsflash: The Atlanta Hawks yes the Atlanta Hawks are 6-0 so far this year. In my opinion this was one of the worst run organizations in pro sports 4 years ago. Head Coach Mike Woodson's firing was in the works last year before they forced the Boston Celtics to a 7 game series in the first round of the playoffs. The Hawks being 6-0 is the biggest surprise so far this year early on in this NBA season but they better get Josh Smith back fast from the sprained ankle that he has. Its nice to see former Hawks great Dominique Wilkins have a spot in the Hawks organization these days too.

Written By: tv on 11/12/08 at 3:09 pm

Oh yeah the Hawks Al Horford has 27 points, 17 rebounds, and 6 blocked shots in the Hawks win over the Bulls last night.

Written By: nally on 11/15/08 at 4:46 pm

Lakers lose for the first time this season...to the Detroit Pissedons pistons ::)

Written By: tv on 11/16/08 at 4:33 pm

Lakers lose for the first time this season...to the Detroit Pissedons pistons ::)
I was watching some of that game and the Pistons played a really great game.
....and ever since that game the Pistons have played bad basketball. Right after that big win over the Lakers lose to Phoenix by 18 points, lose to Minnesota by 26 points at home, play a terrible first half against the Knicks this past Sunday and lose. This past Friday they blew a 15 point lead to the Sixers at home and lost, lost to the Wizards last night after leading by 14 in the first half and lose by 13. What is up with the Pistons they have Allen Iverson, Tayshaun Price, and Rasheed Wallace and they're playing this awful. This team might be done...it might be time to blow it up and start over again with this team. I thought Michael Curry was a good hire as a head coach I mean this was Joe Dumars's guy that he really wanted to hire. Maybe this team peaked with that dreadful loss in the 2007 playoffs to the Cleveland Cavs.

Written By: nally on 11/16/08 at 11:29 pm

I was watching some of that game and the Pistons played a really great game.

yes, they did. Gotta give 'em credit for that. However, I like to cheer for my favourite teams. I'd been watching snippets of the game the other night too.

Written By: Bobo on 11/18/08 at 9:20 pm

Nice win for the Celtics over the Knicks, even without good old KG.

Written By: Big Nasty on 11/24/08 at 7:16 pm

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/basket.gif
HERE ARE MY 2008-2009 NBA PREDICTIONS
MVP          LeBron James (edging out Kobe Bryant)
Defensive Player of the Year              Dwight Howard
Comeback Player of the Year            Gilbert Arenas
Franchise Turn Around              New York KNicks
Citizenship Award Winner              Chris Paul
    Eastern Conference Champions          Cleveland Cavs (edging out the defending Champions)
    Western Conference Champions              LA Lakers (edging out New Orleans Hornets
    NBA CHAMPIONS              LA LAKERS (In 6 Games)
Worst Team in the NBA            Oklahoma City Thunder
Rookie of the Year              OJ Mayo/Memphis Grizzlies

Written By: nally on 11/30/08 at 6:43 pm

I was watching the Miami Heat-L.A. Clippers game on tv last night...and I saw the Clips win by a point. It was a narrow victory, and the last few seconds of the game ran longer than they should've.

Written By: tv on 12/03/08 at 1:14 pm

Man what a game between the Pacers and The Lakers last night. The Pacers were down 101-86 after three quaters but a last second tip-in at the buzzer by the Pacers Troy Murphy allowed the Pacers to pull the upset win. I didn't see the game though but what a dramatic finish. The Pacers are the scariest team in the NBA this year.

Man Magic Johnson was right when he said this is the most competitive NBA in 10 years. I mean anybody can beat anybody on any given night. The Nets beat the Suns the other night in Phoenix too.

Written By: nally on 12/04/08 at 12:44 pm

Both of my local teams played yesterday...the Clippers lost (as they seem to do a lot of), but the Lakers won!

Written By: MrCleveland on 12/04/08 at 5:05 pm

Cavaliers have the best record in their franchise ever!

Written By: tv on 12/19/08 at 1:59 pm

6 NBA coaches fired before Christmas! Man!

You know funny thing I was at work on Saturday bored and I thought maybe Maruice Cheeks would be the next coach axed and when I came home I found out he got fired. I can;t believe Reggie Theus got fired from the Sacramento Kings I mean he had John Salmons as his leading scorer and Kevin Martin is out. Theus won a surprising 38 games in coaching the Kings last year in a tough Western Conference but Theus didn;t even have a full roster to this year I don;t think.

I do understand Timberwolves General Manager Kevin McKhale firing Randy Wittman well I do because Wittman shouldn't have even been coaching that team. I mean Kevin fired Flip Saunders a year after they went to the Western Conference Finals in 2003-2004 season. Was it Flips fault that Latrell Sprewell couldn;t get a contract signed for the 2004-2005 season? No. Than Kevin goes out and hires Dwayne Casey as their head coach and to start the 2005-2006 season I believe Casey went 18-18 before getting fired and Wittman was a worse coach than Casey was!

Don;t these franchises know that if you have a coach with a franchise for a long team your franchise is more likely to suceed? Look at Phil Jackson, Greg Popovich, Lawrence Frank, or Jerry Sloan they have been coach their respective teams for a long time. I like Popovich and Sloan they don;t care how much money a player is making, whay college they went too, or their name they'll bench you if you are not doing your job. Lawrence Frank has done a good job so far this year with the field of players he is coaching I mean Vince Carter and Devin Harris are they only consistent scorers he has on that roster.

Eddie Jordan getting fired from the Wizards, he didn;t have Gilbert Arenas because of injury to start the year. I like Eddie Jordan he is a good coach.

Sam Mitchell getting fired from the Raptors was a shock because he won coach of the year in 2006-2007 season. I mean the Raptors General Manager Bryan Calangelo didn;t think the Raptors were running enough. Why didn;t the Raptors hire Mike D' ntoni in the offseason if they wanted to run and Sam Mitchell could have coached the Knicks?

Written By: Big Nasty on 12/19/08 at 5:48 pm

So Cleveland has their best record in the franchise history.  However, their most significant wins are against Denver (17-8), and Atlanta (15-10), and Dallas (14-10). They have lost to New Orleans (15-7), Boston (24-2), Detroit (14-9), and Atlanta (15-10).  So looking at these highlights...exactly who have they beat? They have not played the Lakers, Suns, Rockets, Magic, Portland, San Antonio, Utah, or hell even the Heat.  So true their record is great but against who? Yes this team is among the best in the Eastern Conference, but they have yet to prove themselves against quality competition.  So, let us not crown them the World Champions or even the Eastern Conference Champions just yet.

Written By: tv on 12/20/08 at 6:35 pm

How about that Brandon Roy guy who plays for Portland? He's some kind of player isn;t he? He scored 52 points in the Blazers 124-119 win over the Suns on Thursday night. He could be in the talk for the MPV voting. However when Roy was asked about the MVP he said all I think about is winning games.

How about the Nets Devin Harris last night scoring 41 points against the guy who he got traded for Jason Kidd last night in the Nets 121-97 win over the Mavs? Harris is faster at going the basket than Allen Iverson is and thats saying alot.

Written By: Big Nasty on 12/20/08 at 8:52 pm

I have been pretty impressed by Brandon Roy going back to last year.  I must say this NBA Season is a great one thus far.

Written By: tv on 12/24/08 at 4:37 pm

2 stats pop out at me so far this NBA Season:

The New Jersey Nets are 9-4 on the road but only 5-10 at home for a record of 14-14.

The Detroit Pistons are 15-5 on games played from Mon-Sat but are 0-6 on games played on Sunday. Their total record is 15-11. Their inability to win on Sunday will cost them home court to Atlanta and Orlando. The Pistons aren;t definately gonna catch the Celtics and Cavs for the Number 1 seed in the Eastern Conference.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/24/08 at 5:40 pm

definately gonna catch the Celtics and Cavs for the Number 1 seed in the Eastern Conference.

Keep an eye on Celtic Rajon Rondo.  He is the future of the team

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/25/08 at 3:04 am

If Rondo ever learns how to shoot a jumper...  :D

Written By: nally on 12/30/08 at 2:03 pm

A bit late for this, but... Lakers beat the Celts on Christmas Day at the Staples Center.

Written By: EthanM on 12/30/08 at 7:59 pm

The Knicks seem ready to lose yet another game to a bad team. Maybe next year's draft pick will be healthy.

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/01/09 at 12:48 pm

The Knicks seem ready to lose yet another game to a bad team. Maybe next year's draft pick will be healthy.

I just glad LeBron won't be going there...because he'll be very disappointed!

Written By: Big Nasty on 01/01/09 at 9:34 pm

Of course Lebron is not going to New York, because he will be playing for his pal Jay-Z in New Jersey.

Written By: nally on 01/09/09 at 4:00 pm

Lakers lost their bid for 16 straight home wins earlier this week...

Written By: tv on 02/11/09 at 12:28 pm

I think the Spurs can still compete with the Lakers come playoff even though the Spurs are 1 year older(Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, and Manu.)

I mean the Spurs got Roger Mason from the Washington Wizards and they didn;t give away anything significant to get him. I think Roger Mason's a different upgrade from Brent Barry. Matt Bonner is another player for the Spurs who has been playing out of his mind the last 2 games.

Whats going on with the Phoenix Suns? They are the Philadelphia 76ers of the mid 80's all of a sudden...lets trade everybody but not get the right parts and pieces back in return. I mean over the past 2 and a half years they have let the following players go that had a great impact on the team in the 2006-2007 season...Kurt Thomas, James Jones, Shawn Marion, Boris Diaw, Raja Bell and now maybe Amarie Stoudamire. Why would you trade Amarie Stoudamire for? Remember when the 76ers traded Moses Malone for Jeff Ruland back in the day? The Sixers also traded a draft paick that would turn out to be Brad Daurhety on draft day to Cleveland for Roy Hinson.

A star player to look out for is that Denny Granger guy from the Indiana Pacers he's having a great season at the mid way point. I feel bad for Al Jefferson(Minnesota Timberwolves) he was having such a great year and he went down with an injury and is out for the remainder of the year.

Written By: nally on 02/11/09 at 10:58 pm

I think the Spurs can still compete with the Lakers come playoff even though the Spurs are 1 year older(Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, and Manu.)

I mean the Spurs got Roger Mason from the Washington Wizards and they didn;t give away anything significant to get him. I think Roger Mason's a different upgrade from Brent Barry. Matt Bonner is another player for the Spurs who has been playing out of his mind the last 2 games.

Yep, there's still that possibility. I'll still be pulling for LAL though, since they're my local team. They've got one of the best records in the NBA right now...so they'd have to really fumble to miss the playoffs at the rate they're going.

Written By: Big Nasty on 02/15/09 at 12:48 pm

The injury to Andrew Bynum will play a huge role in the Lakers season come playoff time. If he does make it back they will blow through the West and into the NBA Finals.  The just beat Boston in Boston, Cleveland in Cleveland (Cleveland's first home loss of the year).

Written By: tv on 02/16/09 at 1:44 pm

Shaq and Kobe got Co-MVP's for the All Star Game! Pretty fitting ha! They 3 peated together when both were with the Lakers(winning championships with the Lakers in 2000, 2001, and 2002.) Than the bickering that ensued between the 2 when Shaq got traded to the Heat from the Lakers after the 2004 NBA Finals loss Lakers to Detroit for a few years. Now they get Co-MVP's for the All Star Game! For a change Kobe was the funny one after the All Star Game when both spoke with reporters and Shaq was actually the serious one.

Did anybody see Allen Ivserson;s new haircut at the All Star Game? Dude has grown up bigtime in terms of maturity the past few years unlike Stephon Marbury who never changes!

I think both Allen Iverson and Shaq realize their both towards the end of their careers now especially Shaq!

Written By: Big Nasty on 02/16/09 at 4:25 pm

As a Laker fan myself I can't but help feeling as if the feud cheated the franchise out of at least two more rings.  It was great to see them win the award together.  I thought the game was fun to watch not for the competition but for the fun the players were having.  I mean the last time this Laker fan saw a smile like Dwight Howards it was on the greatest Point Guard of all times face, that being Magic. Shaq seemed like his spirits were high and he was playing the role of the clown prince...of course that all started with the dance routine during the introductions. I did realize during the game that there were two faces missing...the cousins, Vince Carter and T-Mac.  Seemed strange without them and without Steve Nash.  As a long time NBA fan I guess the face of the league is changing once again.

Written By: tv on 02/18/09 at 1:16 pm

The Hornets traded Tyson Chandler and got back Chris Wilcox and Joe Smith from the Oklahoma City Thunder. I don;t get why they traded Tyson Chandler just because of his contract I mean the Hornets are going backwards now.

Hot players that might be traded in the next 26 hours include Brad Miller(Sacramento), Vince Carter(New Jersey), Richard Jefferson (Milwaukee), and Ron Artest(Houston.)

Written By: Frank on 02/18/09 at 2:18 pm

Looks like it will go down to a Lakers Vs Celtics/Cavs final. If Kobe gets support, Lakers will take it this year

Written By: Big Nasty on 02/19/09 at 5:35 pm

I am interested to see if the Runnin' Suns are truly back with Gentry or was that just a flash. If they trade Amare' the will not be a Flash but a SPLASH at the bottom of the standings!

Written By: nally on 02/24/09 at 10:27 pm

Lakers won their 5th in a row tonight, defeating the Oklahoma City Thunder (formerly the Seattle Supersonicas), 107-93.

Written By: tv on 02/25/09 at 2:04 pm

The Detroit Pistons-This is one sorry team- I mean I understand they traded Chauncey Billups but with players like Tayshaun Prince, Rasheed Wallace, Rip Hamilton, Antonio McDyess, and Allen Iverson you have to be better than a 27-28 team record wise. The Pistons started out 22-12 but are 5-16 since that 22-12 start. I think the Pistons lost their cofidence after the 22-12 start when they lost too Charlotte, Indiana, and Oklahoma City.

On players that have impressed me of late what about  Al Harrington who plays for the New York Knicks he's playing real well for them. I think the way he's playing now is the way people thought he was gonna play when the Indiana Pacers drafted him right out of High School.

About the Phoenix Suns still they play no defense and Amerie's gone for the year. On the bright spot I think its possible they can make some moves for the 2009-2010 campaign to comete for a title and Gentry can be the permenant coach for the team.

Written By: Big Nasty on 03/01/09 at 12:57 pm

How impressive was it to see Shaq score 45 points Friday night? He still shows those flashes of his dominate youth. Then again it was against the Craptors and they were trying to not double team him.  So just maybe the 45 were a result of some faulty coaching as well.

Written By: Big Nasty on 03/01/09 at 1:03 pm

What do my fellow NBA fans think of the Celtics signing Stephon Marbury? http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/basket.gif

Written By: Bobo on 03/17/09 at 10:51 pm

Bump. Cavs stretch to 30-1 at home with tonight's victory. Awesome game.

Written By: Big Nasty on 03/18/09 at 4:58 pm

I can't believe the Lakers dropped a game at home to the FAKE AI and the Sixers!  The Cavs game was great and now they would home court for the Finals..if they even get there.  The only reason that does not bother a Laker fan is because it is true the Cavs are 30-1 at home...HOWEVERThe 1 in 30-1 was to my beloved Lakers!

Written By: nally on 04/19/09 at 10:46 pm

^I'm a lifelong fan of the Lakers too. O0 Glad that they made the playoffs again this year.......and won their first playoff game today against the Utah Jazz.

Written By: anabel on 04/24/09 at 7:59 pm

Well guys, it's 2-1 so far, let's see who wins tonight!  :)

Written By: Big Nasty on 04/24/09 at 8:21 pm

If The Last shot would have dropped nobody would have remember that Kobe went 5-24 or whatever it was in Game 3.

Written By: nally on 05/02/09 at 8:57 pm

So, the Lakers are moving on in the playoffs.

And I watched the overtimes of the Celtics-Bulls game the other night; in that series I'd like to see the Bulls win.

Written By: anabel on 05/02/09 at 9:24 pm

With 8:48 in the 4th we've got: Bulls 78  Celtics 84   

I'm trying to keep up with the Rays losing, watching cars go round and round, and this game....I'm exhausted! I hope the Bulls can pull out the win too! 

(Doc Rivers was a Magic coach for a bit, so I'd feel bad for him, but I grew up on the Bulls!)

Written By: anabel on 05/02/09 at 9:47 pm

Ok, this is just nuts.

I can watch the Hawks and Canucks.  I can watch the race.  I can see the Rays get slaughtered by the Red Sox.  But I can't see the Bulls-Celtics?

Pardon my French, but WTF ??  This is a huge game!  It's not on ANY station?  I've gone up and down the entire menu and they are nowhere!  It's almost over, and it's a nailbiter from what I've been able to see online!

Ruh-Roh.  Looks like it's Celtics 96 and Bulls 88 with only about 2:30 left.....

I'm bummed.  Who can I sue?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/02/09 at 9:50 pm

TNT you do not have?

Written By: anabel on 05/02/09 at 10:02 pm

I do, but it's something stupid on.  I even checked ESPN2 and they have college boxing.  It's ok, I'd say the final nail is going in the Bulls coffin as we speak. It's Boston 107, Chicago 99 with :12 left.  But who do I still love?  DA BULLS !!!

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/02/09 at 10:05 pm

I do, but it's something stupid on.  I even checked ESPN2 and they have college boxing.  It's ok, I'd say the final nail is going in the Bulls coffin as we speak. It's Boston 107, Chicago 99 with :12 left.   But who do I still love?   DA BULLS !!!

But aren't you in Tampa?  That shouldn't be a blackout zone...

Written By: anabel on 05/02/09 at 10:15 pm

Yep, I am, and I was thinking that maybe I was blacked out to make room for other important games.  I mean, who isn't up in arms over College Boxing?  ???

I'm checking TNT now, (game's over anyway) and they have Inside The NBA on now, but earlier it was something else, but not the game.  At least not here.  Maybe they carried it in other cities but not here?

Oh well, It's ok, I'm just about sported out for the night anyway.  I have work tomorow, so I should go to sleep anyway.

Have a great night!  :)

We did pretty good getting lots of posts into the SportsZone!  Mr. Nasty will be proud of us!  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...