inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The BCS is a joke.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/09/08 at 2:47 pm

A friend of mine sent me this, it illustrates perfectly how stupid the BCS really is.   ;D ;D ;D

BCS DECLARES GERMANY WINNER OF WORLD WAR II

US Ranked 4th

After determining the Big-12 championship game participants, the BCS computers were put to work on other major contests and today the BCS declared Germany to be the winner of World War II.

"Germany put together an incredible number of victories beginning with the annexation of Austria and the Sudetenland and continuing on into conference play with defeats of Poland, France, Norway, Yugoslavia, Greece, Denmark, Belgium and the Netherlands. Their only losses came against the US and Russia; however considering their entire body of work--including an incredibly tough Strength of Schedule--our computers deemed them worthy of the #1 ranking."

Questioned about the #4 ranking of the United States the BCS commissioner stated "The US only had two major victories--Japan and Germany. The computer models, unlike humans, aren't influenced by head-to-head contests--they consider each contest to be only a single, equally-weighted event."

German Chancellor Adolph Hitler said "Yes, we lost to the US; but we defeated #2 ranked France in only 6 weeks." Herr Hitler has been criticized for seeking dramatic victories to earn 'style points' to enhance Germany's rankings. Hitler protested "Our contest with Poland was in doubt until the final day and the conditions in Norway were incredibly challenging and demanded the application of additional forces."

The French ranking has also come under scrutiny. The BCS commented “France had a single loss against Germany and following a preseason #1 ranking they only fell to #2."

An end of season controversy erupted with the Soviet Union’s shoe-banging walk out protest.  After a beginning the season buried in the rankings, the Bears were never able to break into a BCS berth. This was despite a string of late victories.   Deweasel Macintosh, BCS statistician, noted that the unprecedented Soviet tie with the double AA country of Finland weighed down their final ranking.  Disgruntled Soviets fans in Berkley countered that Finland went on to win their division title, and in a playoff system.

Japan was ranked #3 with victories including Manchuria, Borneo, Korea, Aleutian Islands and the Philippines.

Subject: Re: The BCS is a joke.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/09/08 at 3:02 pm

HA!

I think Boise State should've played in the one bowl instead of Ohio State, but WTF do I know :P

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/09/08 at 3:03 pm

In case you didn't notice, I was greatly amused and believe this post is worthy of front page status ;D

Written By: Big Nasty on 12/27/08 at 10:29 pm

I will not pretend to understand fully the BCS so I just need to ask a question.  :DMy only BCS question is this. How does Oklahoma get to play for a National Championship when there one loss was to Texas? Why is Texas not worthy to play in the Championship?

Written By: Indy Gent on 01/09/09 at 8:41 pm

Only because Texas' loss came later than OU's loss, and Florida's loss was before either teams' losses. If you really want to win the title, stay undefeated or lose one early, then say unbeaten the rest of the way. And ut helps to be in one of the BCS Bowl conferences, which Utah was not a member of even though they finished unbeaten. This is why the BCS stinks and needs a 16-team playoff. But where there's mpney to be made... :-\\ >:(
I will not pretend to understand fully the BCS so I just need to ask a question.  :DMy only BCS question is this. How does Oklahoma get to play for a National Championship when there one loss was to Texas? Why is Texas not worthy to play in the Championship?

Written By: Tia on 01/09/09 at 8:54 pm

In case you didn't notice, I was greatly amused and believe this post is worthy of front page status ;D
i aglee!

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/10/09 at 4:46 am

I think Utah deserves at least part of the championship. They went undefeated and they beat 'Bama decisively.

What more do they need to do?  ???

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/11/09 at 10:27 am

They need Mormons to infiltrate the upper echelon!

Written By: Satish on 01/18/09 at 6:04 pm

They need Mormons to infiltrate the upper echelon!

That might be the case with Brigham Young University. They're a Mormon religious school. But not with the University of Utah. They might be located in the state of Utah, but they're a secular, non-denominational school.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/23/09 at 12:34 pm

That might be the case with Brigham Young University. They're a Mormon religious school. But not with the University of Utah. They might be located in the state of Utah, but they're a secular, non-denominational school.

You mean, Bring 'Em Young?  ;D ;D ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...