inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Houston Oilers (Question)

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/17/08 at 4:00 pm

HI Everyone!  :)

I live in Texas (born and bred) and I remember when I was little that my parents were fans of a team called the Houston Oilers. I know that after some time, the team was disbanded or broke up or something and eventually evolved into the Houston Texans.

What I'd like to know is, when were the Houston Oilers forned and what year the team officially disband?

I'd really like to know

Thank you very much.

Subject: Re: The Houston Oilers (Question)

Written By: Tam on 12/17/08 at 4:31 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston_Oilers#Houston_Oilers_era_.281960-96.29

The Houston Oilers were moved and became the Tennessee Titans.

The Texans were an expansion team. ;)

Written By: loki 13 on 12/17/08 at 4:57 pm

I still remember the Oilers fight song.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uybrt2Vl_ME

During the early 90's the Oilers called the Astrodome the "House Of Pain." On a Monday night game
the Philadelphia Eagles traveled to Houston and not only beat them but beat up on them which
prompted Jerome Brown to say, "They brought the house, we brought the pain."

The Oilers had one of the most flamboyant players, Billy "White Shoes" Johnson as a kick returner and
one of the most punishing running backs in Earl Campbell yet they were still unable to be be a major force
in the AFC. They had a few good years but nothing more than that.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/17/08 at 9:29 pm

Gosh.

Thanks for the info guys. I just remember watching the games when I was little and rooting for the Cowboys because the Oilers kept losing.  ::)

Written By: MrCleveland on 12/27/08 at 7:43 pm

It seemed that The Oilers (Titans) had to move to go to the Super Bowl, just like the Browns did when they became the Ravens.

Check for new replies or respond here...