inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Super Bowl XLIII in Tampa Bay, Florida

Written By: Big Nasty on 01/01/09 at 11:46 pm

Pretty simple stuff.  Who will win it all? Will it be the favorite Giants from the NFC? Will it be Manning vs. Manning with Peyton teaching baby brother something? Can Ray Lewis and the killer Baltimore Defense do it again? Then there is the GREAT Miami turn around, will it continue? Well we have to wait until 1 February 2009 to find out the answer.  So, I decided to start this so we can cast our vote and debate our answer.

Subject: Re: Super Bowl XLIII in Tampa Bay, Florida

Written By: Tam on 01/02/09 at 12:23 pm

I said Baltimore - only because Ray Ray deserves another title! 8)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/02/09 at 12:26 pm

I think Tennessee will win.  But I have been wrong before :D

Written By: Tia on 01/02/09 at 1:46 pm

i agree, i think tennessee will grab it.

Written By: tomario on 01/02/09 at 2:02 pm

There can be only one!   MIAMI

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/02/09 at 2:06 pm

There can be only one!   MIAMI

That would be a pleasant surprise.  I love the Wildcat formation.

Written By: ninny on 01/02/09 at 4:35 pm

I'd like to see Carolina or Atlanta win.
OK scratch Atlanta :-\\..How about Carolina vs Pittsburgh

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/04/09 at 11:24 am

Cards vs. Dolphins

The Dolphins win dramatically this year with a 20+ score.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/05/09 at 11:44 am

Cards vs. Dolphins

The Dolphins win dramatically this year with a 20+ score.

They could've used that 20+ score against the Ravens :D

Written By: Indy Gent on 01/05/09 at 12:30 pm

I think it'll be Giants and Steelers.

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/05/09 at 3:45 pm

I'll change mine to Arizona. (Since I chose the Dolphins, the Chargers, and now the Cardinals since I live in the rival city Cleveland, I hope Pittsburgh loses)!

Written By: tv on 01/19/09 at 3:10 pm

Well its gonna Pittsburgh vs Arizona for the Super Bowl. Yes the Arizona Cardinals are going to the Super Bowl. Here are some of my fun facts for boths teams going into this game.

-Mike Tomlin(Steelers coach) will be the 3rd African American to coach in the Super Bowl and maybe be the 2nd African American coach to win a Super Bowl. Tony Dungy was the first African American head coach to win the Super Bowl in coaching the Indinapolis Colts to the win in Super Bowl 41 over the Chicago Bears 29-17 I believe. Lovie Smith was the losing coach for the Bears in that game and is an African American American head coach.

-Kurt Warner(Cardinals quarterback) I thought was done but he has led the Cardinals to the Super Bowl. Warner has now led 2 teams too the Super Bowl a decade apart. He led the St, Louis Rams to a 19-16 win over Tennesee Titans in the 2000 Super Bowl.

-Ken Wisenhunt and Russ Grimm were on the Steelers coaching staff when they won the Super Bowl in 2006. Wisenhunt and Grimm were both coaching canidites for the Steelers after then Steelers head coach Bill Cowher retired after the 2006-2007 season. Wisenhunt is now the head coach of the Cardinals and Grimm is the coordinator for the Cardinals offensive line now.

-Edgerin James who was unhappy all year with the Cardinals wanted to be traded this season and complained about lack of playing time. Well, James had fresh legs for the playoffs and it paved off big for the Cardinals throughtout the playoffs. James was affective in running the ball throught this cinderella playoff run for the Cardinals. James who was a member of the Indianaplois Colts from 1999-2006 missed being in the Super Bowl by 1 year when the Colts won and beat the Bears because James signed with the Cardinals for the 2006-2007 season. James was all smiles after the Cardinals beat the Eagles yesterday. Ironically, James's last game with the Colts was a loss to the Steelers in the 2006 playoffs.

The Tony Dungy factor again-Tony Dungy announced retirement from coaching last week and like I said above Mile Tomlin(steelers coach) could be the 2nd African American coach too win a Super Bowl. Edgerin James was coached by Dungy in Indianapolis from 2002-2006. This years Super Bowl is in Tampa the site of Dungy's first team that he coached(The Tampa Bay Bucanneers.) Again, The Bucaneers fired their head coach John Gruden last week and named Raheem Morris head coach(an African American.) Mike Tomlin was the defensive cooridinator for the Minnesota Vikings in 2006-2007, Dungy was the defensive coordinator for the Vikings before he got the Bucanneers head coaching job in the mid 90's. Finally, A year after Dungy was fired from the Bucaneers the Bucaneers beat the Radiers in the 2003 Super Bowl with John Gruden coaching the Bucs and Gruden beat his former team that he coached from 1998-2002 in that Super Bowl(the Raiders.) Finally, in an ironic twist Gruden's last game that he coached with the Bucanneers was a loss to the Raiders which cost the Bucs a playoff spot and Gruden his job. Again, Gruden was fired last week by the Bucanneers. Again, Dungy retired from coaching last week.

-Last year the Super Bowl took place in the Cardinals home stadium.

-Last season the Cardinals beat the Steelers in the regular season with Wisenhunt coaching the Cardinals and Tomlin coaching the Steelers.

-Larry Fitzgerald who is the Cardinals star wide reciver went to "Pitt" where he played College Football. I believe the "Pitt Panthers" played their games in "Heinz Field" which is the Pittsburgh Steelers home stadium. Fitzgerald was also ball boy for the Minnesota Vkings for awhile in the late 90's I believe where again Tomlin and Dungy were defensive coordinators.

Clark Haggans who plays linebacker for the Cardinals was on the Steelers Super Bowl team in 2005-2006 season.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/19/09 at 3:12 pm

I think the Rams beat the Titans 23-16 but I might be wrong.  I remember because the Titans needed that touchdown to tie the game but was a yard short, definitely the best last 5 minutes of a Super Bowl I'd see to that point.

I think I will be rooting for the Cardinals, it's fun to root for the underdog :D

Written By: tv on 01/19/09 at 3:22 pm

I think the Rams beat the Titans 23-16 but I might be wrong.  I remember because the Titans needed that touchdown to tie the game but was a yard short, definitely the best last 5 minutes of a Super Bowl I'd see to that point.

I think I will be rooting for the Cardinals, it's fun to root for the underdog :D
Yeah your right on that score I think.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/19/09 at 11:47 pm

Here we go Steelers, Here we go!!!

Written By: statsqueen on 01/20/09 at 3:21 pm

GO CARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Sorry, I want to live in AZ)

:)

Written By: Tia on 01/20/09 at 3:25 pm

i heard obama's going to receive the first snap. is this true?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/20/09 at 3:27 pm

i heard obama's going to receive the first snap. is this true?

He'd be the first left-handed QB to win the Super Bowl since Steve Young, right?

Written By: theanimewhore on 01/29/09 at 9:15 am

GO STEELERS! GO CARDNALSS!

my fmaily is split over this

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/29/09 at 12:51 pm

^ Win-win or lose-lose situation.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/29/09 at 3:27 pm

Steelers, baby!  Woo-hoo!

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_cheers.gif

Written By: Tia on 01/30/09 at 8:30 am

i dreamed last night that i was watching the superbowl on t.v., only it wasn't at a big 90,000-seat stadium but a tiny high school athletic field in the middle of the night and half the lights didn't work. but there were still millions of people watching on t.v.

and it was between the cardinals and... the redskins. (my home team.) i dreamed the redskins had just gotten a touchdown and they were going for the extra point ... only in dreamville, instead of kicking for the extra point you just got two fat girls, one in a cardinals outfit and one in a redskins outfit, to line up at the 2 and repeatedly slam into each other. the redskins girl was way fatter so she slammed the cardinals girl out of the way for the extra point. (yes, i know that sounds like a two-point conversion but in my dream it was one point. according to dream-state, one-on-one fat girl rules.)

i didn't drink myself to sleep last night like i usually do, maybe that's the problem.

anyway, i think the steelers will win by 10.

Written By: loki 13 on 01/30/09 at 7:00 pm

Okay, now that my anger is over from the Eagles loss I can say which team I want to win on Sunday. When I was
a kid I was a huge Steelers fan. That all changed in the Cower era and when they appointed Roethlisberger the 2nd
coming of Christ. I learned to despise the Steelers, but not this week.

I used to think the Cardinals didn't deserve to be in the Superbowl and they didn't deserve the Championship. It's not
the Cardinals who don't deserve it, it's the stinking Cardinals Fans that don't deserve it. The Steelers need to win to
satisfy every faithful fan who sat there in frigid temperatures year after futile year cheering on their team. I can't root
for a team that set an NFL record for blacked out games. I can't root for a team that needed an NFL extension just
so the freakin' championship game wouldn't be blacked out. For that reason, for all 3 fair weather Cardinals fans I hope
the Steelers score 21 points a Quarter and totally embarrass that miserable excuse for an NFL Franchise.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/31/09 at 6:51 am

Superbowl?  There's a Superbowl this year?  How can that be?  Brady is still injured.  ::)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/31/09 at 6:10 pm

Okay, now that my anger is over from the Eagles loss I can say which team I want to win on Sunday. When I was
a kid I was a huge Steelers fan. That all changed in the Cower era and when they appointed Roethlisberger the 2nd
coming of Christ. I learned to despise the Steelers, but not this week.

I used to think the Cardinals didn't deserve to be in the Superbowl and they didn't deserve the Championship. It's not
the Cardinals who don't deserve it, it's the stinking Cardinals Fans that don't deserve it. The Steelers need to win to
satisfy every faithful fan who sat there in frigid temperatures year after futile year cheering on their team. I can't root
for a team that set an NFL record for blacked out games. I can't root for a team that needed an NFL extension just
so the freakin' championship game wouldn't be blacked out. For that reason, for all 3 fair weather Cardinals fans I hope
the Steelers score 21 points a Quarter and totally embarrass that miserable excuse for an NFL Franchise.

I sense great anger within you...

I'm going to try to hook up our digital receiver/rabbit ear antenna to the projector downstairs to watch the game, I don't really care who wins as long as the game doesn't suck :D

Written By: loki 13 on 01/31/09 at 7:14 pm

I sense great anger within you...

I'm going to try to hook up our digital receiver/rabbit ear antenna to the projector downstairs to watch the game, I don't really care who wins as long as the game doesn't suck :D

I'm a Philadelphia sports fan, I'm supposed to be angry, it's our birthright.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/31/09 at 8:19 pm

Yeah, you guys are never satisfied :D ;)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/01/09 at 9:52 pm

Holy crap that was a good game.  Refereeing was a bit tight though, jeez.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/01/09 at 10:31 pm

Yay! Way to go Steelers! :)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 02/01/09 at 11:06 pm

You should see the people out in the streets here.  And somebody is letting off fireworks too.  We were hungry, so we left with 3 minutes left to go in the game (apparently the MOST exciting 3 minutes to not see - not that I watched any of it.)  And by the time that we got to the open all night diner, people were pouring out into the streets, blocking intersections and twirling their towels and honking the horns.  lol  It was kinda funny.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/01/09 at 11:36 pm

You should see the people out in the streets here.  And somebody is letting off fireworks too.  We were hungry, so we left with 3 minutes left to go in the game (apparently the MOST exciting 3 minutes to not see - not that I watched any of it.)  And by the time that we got to the open all night diner, people were pouring out into the streets, blocking intersections and twirling their towels and honking the horns.  lol  It was kinda funny.

You're in Ohio!  That's Browns/Bengals territory, you're not allowed to root for Pittsburgh!  :P :P :D

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 02/01/09 at 11:49 pm

You're in Ohio!  That's Browns/Bengals territory, you're not allowed to root for Pittsburgh!  :P :P :D

No sir, I'm a transplanted Pittsburgh-er now (as of November).  Besides where I grew up in Ohio (oh so many years ago) we were mostly Steelers fans anyway,  :P

Written By: karen on 02/02/09 at 8:12 am

That was the only bit I watched!  Why sit through 4 hours of adverts when all the action happens in the last few minutes?

I was cheering for the Steelers and Dai was cheering for the Cardinals.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/02/09 at 11:06 am

No sir, I'm a transplanted Pittsburgh-er now (as of November).  Besides where I grew up in Ohio (oh so many years ago) we were mostly Steelers fans anyway,  :P

Is that legal?  :D :D :D

That was the only bit I watched!  Why sit through 4 hours of adverts when all the action happens in the last few minutes?

I was cheering for the Steelers and Dai was cheering for the Cardinals.

The game was good throughout, but the commercials were kind of lacking.  Except that Troy Polamalu commercial where they spoofed Mean Joe Greene, that was pretty cool.

Written By: MrCleveland on 02/02/09 at 12:57 pm

I hate the Pittsburgh Stealers.

That game was fixed and I vow NEVER to watch another football game until the Stealers go to the Super Bowl and lose! >:(

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/02/09 at 2:02 pm

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/0201/toe300b.jpg

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/02/09 at 10:36 pm

I hate the Pittsburgh Stealers.

That game was fixed and I vow NEVER to watch another football game until the Stealers go to the Super Bowl and lose! >:(

how do you figure? ???

Written By: nally on 02/02/09 at 10:40 pm

I watched the last part of the game...just because I was curious. It didn't really matter to me who won, although it was kinda fun watching it, and seeing the lead change hands during the final 6+ minutes of play.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/02/09 at 10:42 pm

how do you figure? ???

I'm pretty sure he's not cool with the officiating, what with Arizona being called for 100+ yards of penalties.  Some of them were deserved, but a few were like "WTF" penalties.  They did whistle Pitt for a bunch of penalties in the 4th quarter as sorta "makeup" penalties though :D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/02/09 at 10:58 pm

They did whistle Pitt for a bunch of penalties in the 4th quarter as sorta "makeup" penalties though :D

yes...true dat. ;)

Written By: MrCleveland on 02/03/09 at 11:43 am

I'm pretty sure he's not cool with the officiating, what with Arizona being called for 100+ yards of penalties.  Some of them were deserved, but a few were like "WTF" penalties.  They did whistle Pitt for a bunch of penalties in the 4th quarter as sorta "makeup" penalties though :D

I agree.

It seemed that the refs were favoring Pittsburgh throughout the game.

I hope WWE has matches during the Super Bowl, because if I want to watch fixed sports, I'll watch wrestling.

And as for the Big Four sports...I'm aiming toward Basketball and Hockey.

Go Cavs and Blue-Jackets!

Written By: Big Nasty on 02/08/09 at 12:04 pm

Fixed or not fixed I was in the middle of nowhere and got to see a jumpy streamed last 3 minutes of the big game only. To bad the Cardinals are already falling apart and it may be another 41 years before the make an appearance again.

Check for new replies or respond here...