inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Browns Receiver Donte Stallworth Kills A Pedestrian With His Car

Written By: Indy Gent on 03/15/09 at 11:18 pm

They're still trying to figure out if the victim was jaywalking. Either way, another sad tale of an athlete in the wrong place at the wrong time.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20090315/ARTICLE/903140272/2050/SPORTS?Title=Browns-Stallworth-hits-kills-Fla-pedestrian

Subject: Re: Browns Receiver Donte Stallworth Kills A Pedestrian With His Car

Written By: anabel on 03/16/09 at 2:32 pm

This is so sad! What bugs me is that Stallworth may walk away with no charges from it and a family somewhere is grieving for a family member whose death they never saw coming. Whether the man was jaywalking or not, he is dead, and the only one to blame is Stallworth. But he'll be protected by the police because down there they take care of the one with the money-if this victim ever gets any respect his family will have to speak up and raise a fuss.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/16/09 at 5:09 pm

This is so sad! What bugs me is that Stallworth may walk away with no charges from it and a family somewhere is grieving for a family member whose death they never saw coming. Whether the man was jaywalking or not, he is dead, and the only one to blame is Stallworth. But he'll be protected by the police because down there they take care of the one with the money-if this victim ever gets any respect his family will have to speak up and raise a fuss.

Why would it be Stallworth's fault if it isn't his fault?  ???  No fault has been assigned the last time I checked.

Written By: anabel on 03/16/09 at 5:49 pm

Ok, you got me there-it isn't clear if he is at fault, the test won't be back for up to 3 weeks. I guess I jumped the gun-I just feel sorry for the victim and his family and see all too often how the rich and famous are treated with kid gloves. I'll hold out til I hear test results before commenting again. http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/square/sqbored.gif

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/16/09 at 6:03 pm

Ok, you got me there-it isn't clear if he is at fault, the test won't be back for up to 3 weeks. I guess I jumped the gun-I just feel sorry for the victim and his family and see all too often how the rich and famous are treated with kid gloves. I'll hold out til I hear test results before commenting again. http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/square/sqbored.gif

No problem, I just thought I'd missed something :D  Maybe it was his fault, maybe it wasn't...we shall see.

Written By: anabel on 03/16/09 at 6:12 pm

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/05/happy.gif

Written By: Indy Gent on 03/16/09 at 11:42 pm

And there is still "innocent until proven guilty in a court of law", even though the media wants to think otherwise.

No problem, I just thought I'd missed something :D  Maybe it was his fault, maybe it wasn't...we shall see.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/19/09 at 6:32 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Am5te_mjcEJeGyT932yxKOE5nYcB?slug=ap-stallworth-pedestriankilled&prov=ap&type=lgns

There's your answer.

Written By: Indy Gent on 03/21/09 at 1:28 pm

Nope, sorry Rice. I refuse to beliieve in trial by media, but thanks for the information.
Having, said that, I also belive that money talks and B.S. walks. So it looks like if he was stoned drunk, God needs a long detailed explanation from Donte.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Am5te_mjcEJeGyT932yxKOE5nYcB?slug=ap-stallworth-pedestriankilled&prov=ap&type=lgns

There's your answer.

Written By: anabel on 03/22/09 at 8:32 am

Wish I could have been surprised with him being sober and it was an honest mistake.  Looks like the police started protecting him right away by refusing to comment on where he had been and where he was going. The test results don't shock me, unfortunately, but the Miami PD won't even confirm the results. And I agree that he has to have a trial, but first he has to be arrested and charged - and they haven't even done that yet. I'll wait and see if there is a valid reason for the police to drag their feet...If it had been you or I that had run over and murdered someone, we would already be sitting in a cell with charges, awaiting a quick trial. Time will tell if he will walk away from this unscathed, but I kind of expect it.  Either way, Stallworth has to live with what he did.  If he has a conscience at all, it will haunt him whether he is ever arrested or not. I still feel terrible for the family of the victim, because it seems less likely that they will have proper closure if he doesn't pay for his crime somehow.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 04/01/09 at 1:11 pm

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/04/01/stallworth.ap/index.html

Well then.

Written By: anabel on 04/02/09 at 9:00 am

:-\\  Bummer.  Well, at least the family will get some closure maybe, but Donte will have to learn an important lesson the hard way. We'll see what happens next.

Written By: anabel on 06/17/09 at 11:30 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4262751

Here's the latest...all those months ago, I just knew something like this would happen....30 days and a financial settlement!!  >:(  he's getting off very lightly by throwing money at the family of this poor dead man.  Even Vick did more time for the dog ring!  So does this mean dogs' lives are more important than human lives these days?

I hope the NFL gives him a heavier sentence than our court system did!!  >:(

Written By: La Roche on 06/17/09 at 11:58 pm

If I post a .126 doing 50 in a 40 and hit somebody, I'll be carving a shank by dinner time. But as we all know, you can kill your wife if you're a football player, or Mario Reyes.

2 Years house arrest is a joke as well, he's a professional football player and hence, half of his job includes attending all manner of functions that will be outside the bounds of his house arrest. Essentially, here's a man that earns millions of dollars a year, who, for 2 years, for about 2 days a week will have to occupy himself in his opulent home, and who will be forced to invest in the services of a chauffeur for the foreseeable future.

The sad thing is, I have no issue with Donte Stallworth, the .08 limit is ridiculous. I've posted a RESIDUAL blood alcohol level of more than .10 the morning after going out drinking, feeling 100% sober with 8 hours of sleep and breakfast under my belt. Not only that, anybody with any knowledge of breathalyzers understands that they are almost inherently flawed, an actual blood test is necessary to gauge somebody's BAC as breathalyzers do not take in to account the alcohol content absorbed by the soft tissue of the mouth and throat and oftentimes give a false reading, showing otherwise sober drivers as DWI.
Stallworth stopped as soon as he hit the man, called the police, basically did everything he should have and the current evidence suggests that Mr. Reyes was jaywalking and Stallworth tried to avoid him, my point is not to attribute blame to Stallworth, my point is that it disgusts me that if I was in Stallworth's position I'd be serving 15-20 and he's serving about 24 days (Florida law credits 5 days per 30 - good behavior - plus Stallworth is credited 1 day for his time spent in holding.) Hell, 24 days, take in to account the 5-10 he'll spend in the induction wing of whichever prison he goes to (if he ever leaves the induction wing) and the 1-2 days he'll spend in the out-processing area. If he ever goes in to the general population he'll only be there for about a fortnight at most. 14 days, that's close to the total amount of time I've spent in jail and I sure as hell haven't killed anybody!

Written By: tv on 06/20/09 at 5:13 pm

Even of Mario Reyes did walk/run in front of Stallworth should have sentenced to 2-3 years in jail instead of 6 months in jail in my opinion. From my understanding Reyes just ran in front of Stallworths to catch a ride or something. I mean even if Stallworth was intoxicated you can't just run in front of somebody's car.

Written By: tv on 08/13/09 at 1:38 pm

Stallworth is suspeneded for the whole 2009 NFL season because of this whole incident.

Written By: Max Power on 09/10/09 at 1:10 pm

Plax shoots himself and gets 2 years

Donte drives drunk and hits someone, killing him and he gets a month

Leonard Little was luckier than Donte though...

Check for new replies or respond here...