inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2009 Formula One motor racing season

Written By: Bobo on 03/17/09 at 7:39 pm

A thread for all things 2009 Formula One season, anyone?

Ecclestone has now come out with this new rule that the winner of the season will be calculated by the number of wins, presumably if this is equal, the number of second places, number of third places..

Ecclestone has an insane amount of control over the sport, so much so that he's attempting to do everything to stop McLaren and Lewis Hamilton win it again this year.

Any fans, followers? I'm looking in your direction, Phil!

Subject: Re: 2009 Formula One motor racing season

Written By: Bobo on 03/17/09 at 8:07 pm

Our only initial debutant driver is the 20-year-old Sébastien Buemi, who finished sixth during last year's GP2 series.

Hamilton, meanwhile, sounds as though he will need none of Ecclestone's assistance to blow this year's Championship, as he claims this season's car is completely uncompetitive.

The first race of the season falls on March 29, and is once again in Australia. The winner of the corresponding race last season was Lewis Hamilton.

Written By: karen on 03/17/09 at 11:16 pm

I didn't understand that rule change.

How was the winner determined before?

Written By: Bobo on 03/18/09 at 1:59 pm

Accumulation of points - so say if someone won one race and retired in the next, they would have only 10 points, whereas if someone came second in both races, they would have 16.

Written By: Bobo on 03/20/09 at 2:29 pm

Latest news, they've AXED this scoring system and won't be introducing it until next year. Oh troubled times.

Written By: Bobo on 03/29/09 at 3:07 am

Jenson Button becomes the second British driver to win the Australian Grand Prix in two years, having placed himself on pole yesterday morning.

Written By: Henk on 03/29/09 at 9:46 am

Jenson Button becomes the second British driver to win the Australian Grand Prix in two years, having placed himself on pole yesterday morning.

And with Rubens Barichello coming in second, it's a 1-2 victory for Brawn GP at their debut in Formula 1.
Jarno Trulli finished in third place, but got a 25 second penalty for overtaking Hamilton when the safety car was deployed - which meant that the reigning world champion, who finished fourth, moved up to third place.
Remaining points went to Timo Glock (4th), Fernando Alonso (5th), Nico Rosberg (6th), Sebastien Buemi (7th) and Sebastien Bourdais (8th).

Both Ferraris did not finish... ::)

Written By: Bobo on 03/29/09 at 9:52 am

Thanks for the update regarding Hamilton, Henk, I don't think I caught that. That's great news for us given the cavalcade of bad feeling that's been attached to the McLaren camp in recent weeks.

Considering Hamilton didn't think the new car as being competitive, I don't think he's done a bad job there. And a great race for Buemi, who has spent the last two years of his career in the GP2 series.

Written By: Henk on 03/29/09 at 10:32 am

Thanks for the update regarding Hamilton, Henk, I don't think I caught that. That's great news for us given the cavalcade of bad feeling that's been attached to the McLaren camp in recent weeks.

Considering Hamilton didn't think the new car as being competitive, I don't think he's done a bad job there. And a great race for Buemi, who has spent the last two years of his career in the GP2 series.

Hamilton started at position #18, so that's pretty impressive. But what about the Toyotas (Trulli and Glock), who started from the pit lane..? ???

Not to mention Torro Rosso finishing 7th and 8th... What a start of the season.

Written By: Bobo on 03/29/09 at 12:20 pm

Considering the Red Bull team is the old Minardi team, that's a great achievement. Last year Vettel achieved five consecutive points-finishing positions, including, of course, his win at Monza, where Bourdais finished eighteenth.

Written By: Frank on 04/01/09 at 12:24 am

I think Lewis Hamilton sill has to be considered amongst the faves. One race does not make a season.
Nice to see Button win. I hope Raikkonen does a little better next race for Ferrari

(I still miss Ayrton Senna)

Written By: Henk on 04/01/09 at 4:24 pm

I think Lewis Hamilton sill has to be considered amongst the faves. One race does not make a season.
Nice to see Button win. I hope Raikkonen does a little better next race for Ferrari

Well, considering Hamilton finished third, I believe he IS a favorite - no matter what he says.

We all do, I think. :(

It's crazy really when you realize Rubens Barichello was once battling him (and Alain Prost). :-\\

Written By: Bobo on 04/01/09 at 8:50 pm

As a Formula One fan who has not missed a race for 14 and a half years, the deaths of Senna and Ratzenburger are pretty much the first thing I remember happening in Formula One. The fourteen, nearly fifteen years since is the longest time we've gone in Formula One without loss of life since 1950.

I know it won't, but I am worried it may happen surprisingly soon.

Written By: Frank on 04/02/09 at 12:01 am

As a Formula One fan who has not missed a race for 14 and a half years, the deaths of Senna and Ratzenburger are pretty much the first thing I remember happening in Formula One. The fourteen, nearly fifteen years since is the longest time we've gone in Formula One without loss of life since 1950.

I know it won't, but I am worried it may happen surprisingly soon.

I also remember when Gilles Villeneuve (pop of Jacques) died back in 1982 ish..Being Canadian myself, that was really  :\'(

Well, considering Hamilton finished third, I believe he IS a favorite - no matter what he says.

Yup, he is the favorite  in my books as well.

Written By: Bobo on 04/02/09 at 4:28 am

Having originally finished fourth in the race, and having been bumped up to third, it turns out that all of Hamilton's points from the Australian Grand Prix will now be nullified for "providing misleading evidence to the stewards". Very odd behaviour all round..

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/02/09 at 5:03 am

Having originally finished fourth in the race, and having been bumped up to third, it turns out that all of Hamilton's points from the Australian Grand Prix will now be nullified for "providing misleading evidence to the stewards". Very odd behaviour all round..
...with Jarno Trulli reinstated to third.

Written By: Henk on 04/02/09 at 3:03 pm

As I understand it, Lewis Hamilton deliberately slowed down to force Jarno Trulli to overtake him while the safety car was deployed.

...definitely not cricket. :(

Written By: Frank on 04/02/09 at 6:44 pm

I think Lewis should file a complaint and try to reinstate his points. Have you heard if his team is doing so?

Written By: Bobo on 04/02/09 at 6:57 pm

...definitely not cricket. :(

Nope, not cricket. That's Gavin Hamilton. :D

Written By: holicman on 04/04/09 at 3:08 am

Nico Rosberg finished on top of 3rd practice this afternoon at Sepang, weather was threatening but never came on.

IF it rains qualifying should be interesting as should the race if it rains :)

Written By: Bobo on 04/05/09 at 5:30 am

The Malaysian Grand Prix has been red-flagged at the 33 lap stage. At this rate it doesn't look as though the race isn't going to restart, and thus the drivers will be awarded half-points in the classification.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/05/09 at 5:42 am

The Malaysian Grand Prix has been red-flagged at the 33 lap stage. At this rate it doesn't look as though the race isn't going to restart, and thus the drivers will be awarded half-points in the classification.
The race was red flagged just as I was settling down to watch it.

I feel that with all the rain, thunder and lightning it waill not restart, or I hope for safety sake, it will not restart.

Written By: Bobo on 04/13/09 at 12:37 pm

Jenson Button will find out if his car is legal when world motorsport's governing body, the FIA, makes a final ruling on the diffuser row on Tuesday.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/16/09 at 7:03 am

Jenson Button will find out if his car is legal when world motorsport's governing body, the FIA, makes a final ruling on the diffuser row on Tuesday.
Is it all down the authenticity of the log book of the car?

Written By: Frank on 05/23/09 at 1:13 pm

Button on the pole for Monaco.
Often in this race, it's not easy to pass. He has an advantage...and to increase his lead.
A Ferrari ( Raikkonen) is actually on the second row. With their luck this season, his car won't start on sunday.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/24/09 at 8:46 am

Button wins at Monaco.

Written By: Henk on 05/24/09 at 10:01 am

Button wins at Monaco.

And with Barichello in second, it's another double victory for Brawn GP (third time this season).

Both Raikkonen (3rd) and Massa (4th) managed to cross the finish line in their Ferrari's - that's an achievement in itself this season. :P

Written By: Frank on 05/24/09 at 10:32 pm

Button wins at Monaco.

I didn't see the race, but the pole winner always has an advantage there.
Yay for Raikkonen !

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/06/09 at 6:08 am

Felipe Massa aims to take pole position for the fourth year running at the Turkish Grand Prix after topping final practice.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/09 at 12:22 am

Formula One is thrown into chaos by the Formula One Teams' Association decision to set up a rival championship.

Written By: Henk on 06/19/09 at 1:26 pm

Formula One is thrown into chaos by the Formula One Teams' Association decision to set up a rival championship.

Not all teams. Only eight of them (including Ferrari, Torro Rosso and Brawn GP).

Check for new replies or respond here...