inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Stanley Cup Finals

Written By: Big Nasty on 04/17/09 at 7:10 am

Who is your choice to play in the Stanley Cup Finals for the 2008-2009 season?

Subject: Re: Stanley Cup Finals

Written By: Frank on 04/17/09 at 1:37 pm

It's so hard to predict, but I think the usual suspects (Detroit, Pittsburgh, New Jersey) have a good chance. I thought San Jose had a good chance but I think even if they beat Anaheim,t hey will be so beat up by that point, it will be a challenge for them.

I don't think teams like Columbus, Montreal or NY Rangers have a chance to win.
We shall see.

Written By: loki 13 on 04/18/09 at 7:37 pm

I've stopped watching the NBA years ago because the rules have changed so much that it has become unwatchable,
the NHL is quickly doing the same. It's sad because hockey is my sport of choice, If the Phillies or Eagles aren't playing, I
don't usually watch the game but with hockey I'll watch any teams, even college women's hockey. The way the games
are being called now, that may change. The refs are getting way too involved with cheap a$$ hooking penalties when
the game is at a critical junction. It's hockey, let them play and stop protecting the pretty boys, read Crosby.

As far as the finals, I don't know yet but I think Boston is a good bet as well as San Jose. I wouldn't mind seeing the
Blackhawks go though. I think the Flyers lack goaltending and discipline to go but we shall see.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 04/18/09 at 8:36 pm

They are calling too much obstruction and interference methinks.  But that comes with the territory of having a much narrower rink than in international play.

Written By: Tam on 04/20/09 at 10:38 am

I would love to see Montreal take it all! They are still the winningest team in Hockey.
Unfortunately, it looks like Boston is going to have their way with them. :-\\

Written By: MrCleveland on 04/20/09 at 2:27 pm

I would say Columbus Blue Jackets, but they have a snowball chance in hell to win right now.

Written By: Frank on 04/20/09 at 5:41 pm

I would love to see Montreal take it all! They are still the winningest team in Hockey.
Unfortunately, it looks like Boston is going to have their way with them. :-\\

BIG Montreal fan here, but they don;t have it this year. I'd say they have almost no chance against Boston. Montreal is too inconsistent, with Kostitsyn (both) and Plekanec in AWOL mode and Markov injured.

Written By: Tam on 04/20/09 at 6:17 pm

Habs and Bruins underway! 8)

Go Habs Go!!!!

Written By: Big Nasty on 04/20/09 at 8:27 pm

I looks like my Caps may try to put up a fight finally. Maybe we can start putting up some goals.

Written By: anabel on 04/20/09 at 9:55 pm

What? No Lightning on the list?  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I'm actually excited that the Blackhawks are making a post season appearance!!!!
I like Calgary too, but someone's gotta lose the series.

Anybody but the Devils!!!!  8-P

Written By: Frank on 04/22/09 at 12:32 am

What? No Lightning on the list?  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Anybody but the Devils!!!!  8-P

Then you must have enjoyed it when Carolina scored the winning goal against Jersey with 0.2 seconds left in the game.
Canucks sweep the Blues away tonight.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 04/22/09 at 9:47 pm

Habs and Bruins underway! 8)

Go Habs Go!!!!

They get swept yet?  :(

Written By: Tam on 04/22/09 at 10:21 pm

They get swept yet?  :(

Yes, and I would rather not talk about it. :-[ :-X

Written By: Rice_Cube on 04/22/09 at 10:24 pm

Yes, and I would rather not talk about it. :-[ :-X

I think it'll be a while before Canada brings the Cup back again...

Written By: Frank on 04/22/09 at 10:44 pm

I think it'll be a while before Canada brings the Cup back again...

Even if Canada dosn't win, whatever team wins usually has a majority of Canadian players anyways.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 04/22/09 at 10:49 pm

Even if Canada dosn't win, whatever team wins usually has a majority of Canadian players anyways.

Right, but it actually helps for a Canadian-based team to win, methinks. 

Written By: Frank on 04/25/09 at 1:03 am

Right, but it actually helps for a Canadian-based team to win, methinks. 

youthinks correctly, would be nice. Last CDN team to win was MTL in 1993. 16 years.
Vancouver is the only one who has a chance this year. Detroit looks good so far, so does Anaheim.

Written By: anabel on 04/25/09 at 10:21 am

Did anyone watch the Rangers? Ovie's goal was amazing! It almost looked like he was just running, NOT skating!!

Written By: Rice_Cube on 04/25/09 at 10:59 am

Did anyone watch the Rangers? Ovie's goal was amazing! It almost looked like he was just running, NOT skating!!

Nobody can watch the playoffs these days because Commissioner Stupid decided to put it on Versus :D

Written By: loki 13 on 04/25/09 at 4:51 pm

The Flyers knocked themselves out of the playoffs. They jumped out to a 3-0 lead early in the second period
then quit playing. They sat back on their heels and allowed the Penguins to take control of the game. You can't
do that with any team in the new NHL and expect to win.

The Penguins have a new distinction in my eyes, they overtook the Rangers and Devils and my most hated team.
I despise that team with a passion and will strongly be pulling for a sweep of the Penguins in round 2.

Written By: Frank on 04/25/09 at 5:40 pm

Amazing goal, he's the best player in the NHL, and the most exciting as well.

The Flyers knocked themselves out of the playoffs. They jumped out to a 3-0 lead early in the second period
then quit playing. They sat back on their heels and allowed the Penguins to take control of the game. You can't
do that with any team in the new NHL and expect to win.

The Penguins have a new distinction in my eyes, they overtook the Rangers and Devils and my most hated team.
I despise that team with a passion and will strongly be pulling for a sweep of the Penguins in round 2.

When I saw 3-0, I thought to myself, let's get ready for an amazing game 7, but Pens won.
I think Jeff Carter looks hurt, and Philly just let Pittsburgh control the game after that. With Carter & Richards, you guys have two of the better young players in the league. I have no doubts Philly will be very competitive next year as well.

I don't really car who wins the cup anymore (now that MTL is out), as long as it's not Jersey.

Written By: anabel on 04/25/09 at 6:43 pm

I don't really car who wins the cup anymore (now that MTL is out), as long as it's not Jersey.

Ha-couldn't have said it better myself!!!  ;D

Written By: Rice_Cube on 04/25/09 at 11:24 pm

Yay Pittsburgh!

Written By: Big Nasty on 04/26/09 at 5:41 pm

The Caps seemed down and out but BAM...here come the Russians.  Game 7 Tuesday night in The Nations Capital.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 04/26/09 at 5:45 pm

^ Seems like the Rangers don't want to win eh :D :D

Written By: Big Nasty on 04/26/09 at 5:47 pm

The have to two games where the Caps just got beat.  Then they won the 1-0 which means it was a matter of luck for whichever team won such a boring game. Now that ALex has woke up for the Caps I predict a game 7 victory.  Then it is on to the next round.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 04/26/09 at 5:49 pm

The have to two games where the Caps just got beat.  Then they won the 1-0 which means it was a matter of luck for whichever team won such a boring game. Now that ALex has woke up for the Caps I predict a game 7 victory.  Then it is on to the next round.

This means they will have come back from an 0-3 hole right?  That's only happened a couple times in hockey history methinks.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 04/26/09 at 5:50 pm

Oh wait, they were only down 3-1...but it's still impressive.

Written By: Big Nasty on 04/26/09 at 5:51 pm

Yes and the Caps have only won a series once when they were down 3-1...however, it's now 3-3 and the Caps have the reigning and future MVP.  I just have to hope if Theodore gets to goaltend game 7 he doesn't let everything in like he tends to do.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 04/26/09 at 5:54 pm

That was a sham year when they let Jose Theodore get the MVP instead of Jarome Iginla.  Iginla is a monster (not as much nowadays that he's getting bullied, but he's still putting up the numbers)

Written By: Big Nasty on 04/26/09 at 5:58 pm

I think Alex O has a good chance of repeating as the MVP this year.  I think he is a much better player than Crosby.  Of course as a Caps fan I am a little bias.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 04/26/09 at 6:02 pm

I think Alex O has a good chance of repeating as the MVP this year.  I think he is a much better player than Crosby.  Of course as a Caps fan I am a little bias.

Crosby has time to grow 8)

Written By: Big Nasty on 04/26/09 at 6:03 pm

Nobody can watch the playoffs these days because Commissioner Stupid decided to put it on Versus :D

I am lucky here in upstate New York cause I get games from the Canada Broadcast, The Deviils broadcast, The Rangers broadcast as well as vs. and NBC (on Sundays)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 04/26/09 at 6:03 pm

I am lucky here in upstate New York cause I get games from the Canada Broadcast, The Deviils broadcast, The Rangers broadcast as well as vs. and NBC (on Sundays)

They used to have it on FOX, the FOX glowpuck was kind of weird and made me mad, because even a casual fan can tell where the puck is without such a gimmick :P

Written By: Big Nasty on 04/26/09 at 6:04 pm

I agree I think the League is looking for the "Golden Boy" a la Gretzky or Lemieux. So they are rushing Crosby along to much. I am also sure they do not relish the thought of having a European player as the "Golden Boy" for the NHL.

Written By: Big Nasty on 04/26/09 at 6:06 pm

I lived in Canada during the "Glow Puck" Era.  Traditional long time fans were really upset about that gimmick and I am willing to bet none more than Canadians.

Written By: Frank on 04/27/09 at 12:11 am

I lived in Canada during the "Glow Puck" Era.  Traditional long time fans were really upset about that gimmick and I am willing to bet none more than Canadians.

I am Canadian, and the glowing puck was idiotic.

I agree I think the League is looking for the "Golden Boy" a la Gretzky or Lemieux. So they are rushing Crosby along to much. I am also sure they do not relish the thought of having a European player as the "Golden Boy" for the NHL.

Yup, but Ovechkin is better.
Note to NHL: Deal with that reality.

Written By: Frank on 04/28/09 at 2:32 am

The Sharks are done, again, this time in the 1st round, not 2nd round.
Somewhere, Ron Wilson is smiling a little.

Western Conference:

Detroit Vs Anaheim
Vancouver Vs Chicago.

Written By: anabel on 04/28/09 at 6:31 pm

The Sharks are done, again, this time in the 1st round, not 2nd round.
Somewhere, Ron Wilson is smiling a little.

Western Conference:

Detroit Vs Anaheim
Vancouver Vs Chicago.

I pick Chicago!!! Naturally..... ::)

GO BLACKHAWKS!

Written By: Rice_Cube on 04/28/09 at 7:15 pm

I pick Chicago!!! Naturally..... ::)

GO BLACKHAWKS!

Let's have an Original Six team win other than the Red Wings eh :D

Written By: Frank on 04/28/09 at 7:21 pm

Let's have an Original Six team win other than the Red Wings eh :D

Yup, how about Boston?
But I guess Chicago has gone the longest without winning the cup (1961 was the last time)
I wasn't born yet.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 04/28/09 at 7:26 pm

Yup, how about Boston?
But I guess Chicago has gone the longest without winning the cup (1961 was the last time)
I wasn't born yet.

Boston won in the 70s I think.  Don't recall, but they can wait :D

Written By: Rice_Cube on 04/28/09 at 9:35 pm

Looks like the second round matchups are set.

Written By: Frank on 04/28/09 at 11:15 pm

YAY!
Jersey is out!

Written By: Little_devil_rider on 04/29/09 at 1:22 am

very ture, but i also feel that a bag of pucks are better then pretty boy crosby, but the player that i feel will be mvp next year is claude giroux

Written By: Rice_Cube on 04/30/09 at 5:54 pm

I guess we shall see, Crosby vs. Ovechkin coming up!

I imagine Crosby being a Gretzky type who had enforcers and was generally allowed to roam free throughout the ice, relative to Ovechkin who as a Lemieux type had to deal with much more cross-checking and interference. 

Written By: Frank on 04/30/09 at 6:10 pm

I guess we shall see, Crosby vs. Ovechkin coming up!

I imagine Crosby being a Gretzky type who had enforcers and was generally allowed to roam free throughout the ice, relative to Ovechkin who as a Lemieux type had to deal with much more cross-checking and interference. 

It's not only Crosby Vs Ovechkin, but the NHL leading scorer and Hart candidate Malkin as well.
Washington's goalkeeping isn't as good as Pittsburgh's. It will be an exciting series such as Detroit Vs Anaheim.

Crobsy can defend himself, but he complains too much at times. Ovechkin is clearly the better player now. Crosby has to work on his shot during the off-season, it's not that porwerful.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 04/30/09 at 6:18 pm

It's not only Crosby Vs Ovechkin, but the NHL leading scorer and Hart candidate Malkin as well.
Washington's goalkeeping isn't as good as Pittsburgh's. It will be an exciting series such as Detroit Vs Anaheim.

Crobsy can defend himself, but he complains too much at times. Ovechkin is clearly the better player now. Crosby has to work on his shot during the off-season, it's not that porwerful.

Gretzky didn't have a powerful shot either.  He just knew where to put it, and that's what matters in the end, eh?

Written By: Frank on 04/30/09 at 6:20 pm

Gretzky didn't have a powerful shot either.  He just knew where to put it, and that's what matters in the end, eh?

Early in his career he coudl hit it, but I understand what you mean, he knew where to put it, of course the early 80 goalies has smaller equipment than now, and moved slower, so there was more room back then.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 04/30/09 at 6:21 pm

Early in his career he coudl hit it, but I understand what you mean, he knew where to put it, of course the early 80 goalies has smaller equipment than now, and moved slower, so there was more room back then.

Were the NHL rinks the same dimensions as they are now?  They are definitely smaller than in international play. 

Written By: anabel on 04/30/09 at 6:41 pm

OK, I'm ready for the Blackhawks to beat the Canucks!

On Sundays we get to wear tshirts and jeans to the office, so I have my 21 year old Hawks tee ready to wear!  Yes, I've really had it that long, it fits, but it still looks brand new.

And also: DOUBLE YAY for the Devils being out!!!  :D  <----------- maybe I need to go to another thread  to elaborate?  ;D

Written By: Rice_Cube on 04/30/09 at 6:45 pm

No, elaborate here!

Go Blackhawks!

I do feel bad for Cah-nah-dah if Vancouver gets ousted, but whatever :D

Written By: anabel on 04/30/09 at 6:51 pm

Here's why I'm excited-this looks like a seriously good match up!!

Head to Head feature is based on season stats. Check marks were given to the team with a higher ranking for that particular category.

Head to Head
Blackhawks              Key Team Stats            Canucks
104                                Points                      100
56.1%                            Win %                  54.9%
3.2                          Goals Per Game                3.0
2.5                    Goals Allowed Per Game          2.6
19.3%                      Power Play %                18.8%
80.6%                      Penalty Kill %                81.4%
32.7                      Shots Per Game                28.5
28.6                  Shots Against Per Game          29.2

Ok, it didn't copy over like I hoped it would, and I swear I'm not drunk, I just can't center type manually..... :D

Written By: anabel on 04/30/09 at 6:54 pm

Good news!!

Ovechkin, Malkin, Datsyuk finalists for Hart

NEW YORK (AP) - Alexander Ovechkin of the Washington Capitals is a finalist for a second straight Hart Trophy as the NHL's most valuable player.

Fellow Russians Evgeni Malkin of the Pittsburgh Penguins and Pavel Datsyuk of the Detroit Red Wings were also among the finalists announced by the league Wednesday.

The winner will be revealed June 18 at the NHL awards show in Las Vegas.

Ovechkin led the league in goals this season with 56, and could become the first repeat winner of the Hart since Dominik Hasek in 1997-98. Ovechkin finished three points shy of becoming the NHL's first repeat scoring champion since Jaromir Jagr in 2000-01.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 04/30/09 at 7:00 pm

Looks like the Russians are coming back as the best overall hockey players in the world eh...

Written By: anabel on 04/30/09 at 7:12 pm

I was wondering about that earlier-did you know that out of the entire Blackhawks roster, there are only 3 players born in the U.S.!?  The rest were Canadian and I think one was from Sweden....

Written By: Rice_Cube on 04/30/09 at 7:21 pm

Most of the NHL is European or Canadian, very few Americans relatively speaking...I think hockey is primarily in the Midwest and the Northeast, very few kids from elsewhere actually play hockey at a level that will get them into a Division I college and thus on track to be in the NHL... :(

Written By: Frank on 05/01/09 at 11:04 pm

Detroit beat Anaheim tonight in a pretty good game. Gonna enjoy that series  :)

Written By: Big Nasty on 05/02/09 at 10:29 am

As a Washington Capitals fan I am looking forward to a nice series between rivals this round.  That just happens to feature Sid "The Kid" Crosby vs. Alexander "The Great". Then there is also Malkin and Semen.  This should be a good one. Hopefully Washington can get better Goal Tending than they did against the Rangers.

Written By: Frank on 05/02/09 at 2:58 pm

As a Washington Capitals fan I am looking forward to a nice series between rivals this round.  That just happens to feature Sid "The Kid" Crosby vs. Alexander "The Great". Then there is also Malkin and Semen.  This should be a good one. Hopefully Washington can get better Goal Tending than they did against the Rangers.

Both Crosby and Ovechkin scores. Malkin was less than impressive. Caps win 3-2 to take game 1.

Written By: Big Nasty on 05/02/09 at 4:48 pm

Let's Go Caps....ROCK THE RED

Written By: anabel on 05/02/09 at 9:30 pm

The Canucks are beating Chicago 2-1 so far with 7:05 in the 2nd period.  :-\\

The only bad thing about Sports is when you like a lot of teams and they're all in playoffs or playing at the same time in general, you're gonna miss something-I'm switching channels back and forth so much I'm getting dizzy!

Did someone say the don't get the VS. channel?  I get it and am watching Chicago right now.  Is it only an HD channel or something?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/02/09 at 9:32 pm

The only bad thing about Sports is when you like a lot of teams and they're all in playoffs or playing at the same time in general, you're gonna miss something-I'm switching channels back and forth so much I'm getting dizzy!

Did someone say the don't get the VS. channel?  I get it and am watching Chicago right now.  Is it only an HD channel or something?

We don't have cable :P  Chicago just tied the game!

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/02/09 at 9:36 pm

Chicago = lead!

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/02/09 at 9:37 pm

Shorthanded no less :D

Written By: anabel on 05/02/09 at 9:58 pm

Yay!  When I realized I wasn't going to find the Bulls-Celtics, I reduced my channel changing to just The Rays, The Backhawks and occasionally that non-sport, Nascar race.  ;)

I really hope Chicago goes far this year, it's been wayyyyyy too long a coming for them!  They haven't had the Cup since 1961!  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/headbang.gif

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/02/09 at 9:59 pm

^ At least they haven't waited as long as the Cubs have :(

Written By: anabel on 05/02/09 at 10:10 pm

So true!  I grew up with my Mom loving the Cubs, so I watched them quite a bit. But when I got into baseball in my 20's, I got into the White Sox more.  I think it had to do with a really cute player..... ::)
I'm still kind of mad at the Cubs for the way they let Sammy Sosa go.  The Cubs were just never the same to me without him.  I would love to see them do well though, they do deserve it!

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/02/09 at 10:15 pm

So true!  I grew up with my Mom loving the Cubs, so I watched them quite a bit. But when I got into baseball in my 20's, I got into the White Sox more.  I think it had to do with a really cute player..... ::)
I'm still kind of mad at the Cubs for the way they let Sammy Sosa go.  The Cubs were just never the same to me without him.  I would love to see them do well though, they do deserve it!

Sosa was too roided up and one-dimensional.  I'd rather have a whole team full of speedy guys who hit opposite-field, but I'm more of a baseball purist.  I don't like home runs except to break a tie or if there are men on base already.

I am extremely displeased with Chicago for letting Mark DeRosa go though, that was idiotic.

Oh yeah, the Hawks are now up 5-2 8)

Written By: Frank on 05/03/09 at 12:26 am

Sosa was too roided up and one-dimensional.  I'd rather have a whole team full of speedy guys who hit opposite-field, but I'm more of a baseball purist.  I don't like home runs except to break a tie or if there are men on base already.

I am extremely displeased with Chicago for letting Mark DeRosa go though, that was idiotic.

Oh yeah, the Hawks are now up 5-2 8)

Once Chicago made it 3-2, Vancouver just stopped skating and GM place just died. Chicago looks good, a high energy team. Vancouver has it's work cut out to win this. All Credit goes to Chicago for taking over that game.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/03/09 at 1:40 am

Once Chicago made it 3-2, Vancouver just stopped skating and GM place just died. Chicago looks good, a high energy team. Vancouver has it's work cut out to win this. All Credit goes to Chicago for taking over that game.

Didn't watch the game since Commissioner Moron decided to put it on an obscure cable channel :P  I swear he's trying his best to kill the league.

No excuse for a team to lay down and die when they're only down a goal, but Chicago will take it :D

Written By: Frank on 05/03/09 at 1:52 am

Didn't watch the game since Commissioner Moron decided to put it on an obscure cable channel :P  I swear he's trying his best to kill the league.

No excuse for a team to lay down and die when they're only down a goal, but Chicago will take it :D

Yup, he's a moron, even worse than Don Cherry
Chicago's speed just killed Vancouver. Chicago's a faster team. 

Written By: Big Nasty on 05/03/09 at 8:47 am

I agree I have been switching like mad from Hockey to Basketball. God forbid that their be multiple games on for either sport at the same time. My poor remote batteries are likely red hot! LOL

Written By: Frank on 05/04/09 at 9:00 pm

What a game tonight!

Ovechkin scores 3 goals!
Crsoby scored 3 goals!

Caps win 4-3.

Written By: anabel on 05/04/09 at 9:09 pm

Sounds like I missed a good one! I'm actually glad I have a night off from Hockey. No marathon channel switching, at least til tomorrow night!  ;)  Besides I need to wash my lucky shirt... :D

Written By: Frank on 05/04/09 at 9:15 pm

Sounds like I missed a good one! I'm actually glad I have a night off from Hockey. No marathon channel switching, at least til tomorrow night!  ;)  Besides I need to wash my lucky shirt... :D

It was a good game. Watch the hi-lights tonight (between the RINSE and SPIN cycles), Ovechkin's goals were all pretty good.

Written By: Big Nasty on 05/05/09 at 5:06 am

Wow although my Caps are up now 2-0 this series is pretty entertaining. I Love the goal for goal (nearly) performance of Alex and Sid.

Written By: Frank on 05/05/09 at 5:54 pm

Detroit/Anaheim should be a good game tonight. The Getzlaf/Perry/Ryan line has been on fire for a few weeks now.

Written By: loki 13 on 05/05/09 at 6:29 pm

Wow although my Caps are up now 2-0 this series is pretty entertaining. I Love the goal for goal (nearly) performance of Alex and Sid.

Have you noticed the difference in how the goals are scored. Ovechkin's goals were blister shots, from precision passing.
Crosby, on the other hand, benefits from the lucky bounce. Crosby's goals in the play-offs have a lot to be desired. He
kicked in two, had one go off his calf, batted in two out of the air and another he carried in the goal in his lap, which
should have been goaltender interference but God forbid they deny the great one, I say that facetiously, a goal. I've
said before and I'll say it again, the league needs to get off Crosby's d$%#, he is a very good player but still a far cry
from the hockey God they are trying to make him out to be.

Written By: Big Nasty on 05/05/09 at 7:23 pm

Have you noticed the difference in how the goals are scored. Ovechkin's goals were blister shots, from precision passing.
Crosby, on the other hand, benefits from the lucky bounce. Crosby's goals in the play-offs have a lot to be desired. He
kicked in two, had one go off his calf, batted in two out of the air and another he carried in the goal in his lap, which
should have been goaltender interference but God forbid they deny the great one, I say that facetiously, a goal. I've
said before and I'll say it again, the league needs to get off Crosby's d$%#, he is a very good player but still a far cry
from the hockey God they are trying to make him out to be.

I was just commenting to to Tam about the cheap goals Crosby scores. His third in game 2 was scored after how many swipes at the puck as The Caps rookie goalie made saves on the first two or three attempts. I agree that the league needs to realize that 1. Crosby is no Gretzky, or even Super Mario for that matter. 2. The best current player in the NHL is in this series and he is Russian and wears number  for the Capitals. 3. Crosby may not even be the best player on his own team....Malkin just might be, although he has yet to show it in the Post Season.

Written By: loki 13 on 05/05/09 at 8:24 pm

I was just commenting to to Tam about the cheap goals Crosby scores. His third in game 2 was scored after how many swipes at the puck as The Caps rookie goalie made saves on the first two or three attempts. I agree that the league needs to realize that 1. Crosby is no Gretzky, or even Super Mario for that matter. 2. The best current player in the NHL is in this series and he is Russian and wears number  for the Capitals. 3. Crosby may not even be the best player on his own team....Malkin just might be, although he has yet to show it in the Post Season.

Know what I don't like about Malkin? As good as he is, he 's a little dirty and he's made diving an art. Malkin doesn't need to do those
bush league things, leave that to the boarder line players. If he wants to be considered one of the best he should play like it.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/05/09 at 11:49 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=AmeedSee1moRvmh5PxsPlKQ5nYcB?slug=ap-coyotes-balsillie&prov=ap&type=lgns

Potentially another team back in Canada where hockey calls its home...I think that is appropriate, no?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/05/09 at 11:50 pm

Well, nobody has the ice-vision that Gretzky had, nor the dominance of a Lemieux.  But a goal is still a goal 8)

Written By: Frank on 05/06/09 at 12:41 am

Ovechkin is the best player. But the media just takes any little positive thing Crosby does, and blows it way our of proporation. He is a wonderful player, but not at Ovechkin's level.
He is far from being a Gretzky or Lemieux.
Malkin is an enigma to me, sometimes he makes these great plays and other times I don;t know what he's doing on the ice. Reminds me a little of the criticism's Mario took in his first few years. (Remember the 'flloater" tag Mario had?)

Written By: Big Nasty on 05/06/09 at 6:45 am

I just think the NHL is looking for the next "Golden Boy" and it must be a Canadian or American. Don't get me wrong I enjoy watching entertaining Hockey, and this series with the Caps and Pens is for sure that. Of course, it is easier for me to say that when I am a Caps fan and they are up 2-0.

Written By: Frank on 05/06/09 at 3:53 pm

I just think the NHL is looking for the next "Golden Boy" and it must be a Canadian or American. Don't get me wrong I enjoy watching entertaining Hockey, and this series with the Caps and Pens is for sure that. Of course, it is easier for me to say that when I am a Caps fan and they are up 2-0.

I think the NHL is HOPING the next one is from North America. Right now his name is Ovechkin.
He has an outside chance of scoring 80 or 90 in the next year or two if everything falls in the right place.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/06/09 at 4:38 pm

I think the NHL is HOPING the next one is from North America. Right now his name is Ovechkin.
He has an outside chance of scoring 80 or 90 in the next year or two if everything falls in the right place.

Very close to Gretzky's record then.

Written By: Frank on 05/06/09 at 4:47 pm

Very close to Gretzky's record then.

Gretzky himself said earlier this year that Ovechkin might have a 80 goal season in him.
Wait and see. Last game both he and Crosby got a hat trick. Looking forward to tonight's game 3. I am thinking Pittsburgh won't be down 3-0 after this game.

Written By: anabel on 05/06/09 at 7:05 pm

Chicago Blackhawks fall 3-1 to Vancouver Canucks

Hats of to the Canucks, even though I couldn't even watch the end of the game.

I figured out last night that I definitely influence Matthew a little too much in how he picks his sports teams.  He asked me last night "Who are the guys with the sharks on their shirts?  I want them to win!"  I thought he had picked up by now that it's not the outfits,but how the guys play that make them good.  ::)  What is a Canuck anyway?  Is it a fish?  Anyway, I'm glad we didn't put money on the game like he wanted too....

I really hate seeing the Hawks blow their first chance in years for the Cup.  I'm hoping they'll make a comeback.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/06/09 at 8:16 pm

I think a Canuck is a term describing a Canadian.  You'd have to talk to a real Canadian to find out more.

Written By: Big Nasty on 05/06/09 at 8:37 pm

We have Overtime in Pittsburgh. Let's GO Caps!  ROCK THE RED!

Written By: Tam on 05/06/09 at 8:38 pm

What is a Canuck anyway?  Is it a fish?  Anyway, I'm glad we didn't put money on the game like he wanted too....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canuck ;)
*we don't find it to be a derogatory word though! 8)

Written By: Big Nasty on 05/06/09 at 8:39 pm

Tam (A Real Canadian) says it is in fact a slang term for a Canadian.

Written By: Frank on 05/07/09 at 12:29 am

Tam (A Real Canadian) says it is in fact a slang term for a Canadian.

Yup, Tam is correct.

We have Overtime in Pittsburgh. Let's GO Caps!  ROCK THE RED!

Sorry bud, Pittsburgh wins 3-2. Malkin played great tonight.
Carolina surprises me by beating Boston.

Written By: Big Nasty on 05/07/09 at 5:11 am

I feel good about the Caps game 3 performance sort of. I mean 6 consecutive penalties called against them was just stupidity on their part and in the end a big factor. The Caps are getting some solid goal tending from the 21 year old rookie.  Looks like Theodore will need a new team if he wants to start.

Written By: Frank on 05/08/09 at 12:19 am

I feel good about the Caps game 3 performance sort of. I mean 6 consecutive penalties called against them was just stupidity on their part and in the end a big factor. The Caps are getting some solid goal tending from the 21 year old rookie.  Looks like Theodore will need a new team if he wants to start.

Varlamov is giving up too many rebounds tho.
Heard Oveckin got an internet death threat? Weird.

It's "original 6 night" as the Black Hawks and Red Winds both win to tie their series at 2-2.

Written By: Big Nasty on 05/08/09 at 7:30 am

Varlamov is giving up too many rebounds tho.
Heard Oveckin got an internet death threat? Weird.

It's "original 6 night" as the Black Hawks and Red Winds both win to tie their series at 2-2.

Yeah a 17 Year Old made a death threat against Ovechkin.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5g9cCTGJMt-pry2LPis_oetcisMgQD981OJ5O4

Written By: anabel on 05/08/09 at 7:39 am

That kid is SO grounded!!  >:(

I'm staying up way too late flipping between all these games..... I guess I can  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/09/sleep2.gif after the Cup is won.

Written By: Frank on 05/08/09 at 12:55 pm

I'm staying up way too late flipping between all these games..... I guess I can  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/09/sleep2.gif after the Cup is won.

One of the benefits to living on the west coast that I don't have to stay up late for games (unless it goes into 3 or 4 OT's)
Alternatively, I get home from work and the game is already on.

Written By: Frank on 05/09/09 at 12:58 am

Pittsburgh beats Washington tonight ( Caps didn't look great)
Nice "knee on knee" hit from Ovechkin on Gonchar. I really thing he meant to hit him with his shoulder.
Now it's in the NHL's hands ( :-\\ :-\\) to decide whether he gest suspended or not. At most I think he will get 1 game, but hard to say what Colin Campbell will do, so inconsistent.
If I were a betting man, I'd bet he gets nothing.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/09/09 at 7:39 am

^ Can't suspend a superstar unless he actually tried to decapitate his opponent with a skate.

Written By: anabel on 05/09/09 at 8:58 am

Tonight are 2 big games-Caps and Pens are on Versus but Hawks and Canucks are not on at all?  :\'(

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/09/09 at 9:58 am

Tonight are 2 big games-Caps and Pens are on Versus but Hawks and Canucks are not on at all?   :\'(

Caps and Pens are playing again after last night's slugfest?  :o :o

Written By: Big Nasty on 05/09/09 at 10:25 am

Game 5 is SUPER important for the Caps.  I hope the Varlamov from games 1-3 shows up cause I am no to happy with the one from Game 4.  Lets Go Caps.
ROCK THE RED!

Written By: Frank on 05/09/09 at 4:40 pm

Tonight are 2 big games-Caps and Pens are on Versus but Hawks and Canucks are not on at all?   :\'(

Hawks Vs Canucks are on CBC ( CDN TV), but that probably doesn't help you much when you're in Florida.

Game 5 is SUPER important for the Caps.  I hope the Varlamov from games 1-3 shows up cause I am no to happy with the one from Game 4.  Lets Go Caps.
ROCK THE RED!

Would be nice to see CAPS win.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/09/09 at 6:53 pm

Can't watch the game, but it looks like two Pens and two Caps are in the penalty box...does that mean a big fight at the end of the period and a 3-on-3 to start the second?  :o

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/09/09 at 7:13 pm

Second period may turn out to be a goalfest :o

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/09/09 at 8:29 pm

Wow, tied in the third :o

Written By: Big Nasty on 05/09/09 at 8:39 pm

I am amazed by the amount of bend in the stick of Ovechkin. Caps really needed a goal and once again Alex delivered.  Hope he can do it again in OT.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/09/09 at 8:45 pm

When does the first OT start?  I only have the Yahoo Sports update as my guide :(

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/09/09 at 8:47 pm

Looks like it just started!  :o

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/09/09 at 8:50 pm

Pitt PP...

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/09/09 at 8:52 pm

Update is late but it seems that Pitt scored the winning goal :o

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/09/09 at 9:39 pm

BWAHAHAHA!  No wonder they had to play back-to-back, there is a Yanni concert in Pittsburgh or something that affected the scheduling ;D  Like Yanni is more important than hockey!

Written By: Big Nasty on 05/10/09 at 5:40 am

Pitt won but the Caps scored the goal for them!  Son Of A B&%#@

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/10/09 at 10:06 am

Pitt won but the Caps scored the goal for them!  Son Of A B&%#@

I saw the replay, it was kind of a fluke but if the cross-ice pass had gotten through it looked like the Penguin at the receiving end would've had 60% net to shoot at :o

Written By: Big Nasty on 05/10/09 at 10:35 am

His chances of scoring were pretty high, I agree.  The thing is the Goaltender is already making his way to that side which is why he legs are opened when his own player makes the deflection. It's all good. The Caps were up 2-0 and now it is 3-2...The Rangers were up on the Caps 3-1 and the Caps won that series so there is hope.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/10/09 at 10:46 am

There's always hope until someone wins the fourth game 8)

Written By: Frank on 05/10/09 at 11:14 pm

Detroit & Boston both win today.

Canucks & Caps face elimination games tomorrow. I think one of those series will go 7.

Written By: Big Nasty on 05/11/09 at 7:03 am

I hope the Caps get a game 7...again. On their home ice.

Written By: Frank on 05/11/09 at 10:35 am

I hope the Caps get a game 7...again. On their home ice.

I would be surprised if the Caps lost 4 in a row.

Written By: Frank on 05/11/09 at 11:54 pm

I would be surprised if the Caps lost 4 in a row.

And they did not. Game 7 on Wednesday. Should be a good one.
But I don't think it can top the excitement and back and forth of tonight's Chicago/Vancouver game
Best game of the playoffs so far. Congrats to Chicago. That team has so much energy.
They now await the winner of Detroit/Anaheim.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/12/09 at 12:34 pm

Hopefully it's Anaheim so the Hawks have a better shot at the Cup :P

Written By: Frank on 05/12/09 at 2:14 pm

Yes but Detroit/Chicago would rekindle and old rivalry

Written By: anabel on 05/12/09 at 5:55 pm

And they did not. Game 7 on Wednesday. Should be a good one.
But I don't think it can top the excitement and back and forth of tonight's Chicago/Vancouver game
Best game of the playoffs so far. Congrats to Chicago. That team has so much energy.
They now await the winner of Detroit/Anaheim.

Yay!  I've been waiting all day to post about this! It was a good game-I actually feel a little bad, though.  Canucks fans are so nice you feel guilty winning!  ;) :)
I have a feeling we are waiting for the Red Wings....I won't feel bad beating them!!  ;D

Written By: anabel on 05/12/09 at 9:13 pm

Hi Josh!  Welcome to the board!  It's always nice to see another Blackhawks fan!  :)

Written By: Josh on 05/12/09 at 10:06 pm

Hi Josh!  Welcome to the board!  It's always nice to see another Blackhawks fan!  :)

It looks like I deleted my original post....yep, I'm a big Hawks fan!

Written By: Frank on 05/13/09 at 12:59 am

Yay!  I've been waiting all day to post about this! It was a good game-I actually feel a little bad, though.  Canucks fans are so nice you feel guilty winning!  ;) :)
I have a feeling we are waiting for the Red Wings....I won't feel bad beating them!!  ;D

Yes Anabel, it was a good game. Detroit/Anaheim will go to a 7th game (actually all other matchups are going to a 7th game)

I will say Detroit wins (unless Osgood lays an egg)
Boston looks good for game 7. Pittsburgh or Washington, don't know who's the fave.. That one will be interesting and will watch it tomorrow.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/13/09 at 8:32 pm

The Caps decide to lay down and die or something?  I expected a close game!  :o

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/13/09 at 10:37 pm

Just read the recap...seems Crosby doesn't suck as much as advertised eh.

Written By: Frank on 05/14/09 at 12:23 am

The Caps decide to lay down and die or something?  I expected a close game!  :o

Caps were not organized, just didn't have it tonight.
Still, Ovechkin 14 points in the series, Crosby 13. Good stuff.

Written By: anabel on 05/14/09 at 9:41 pm

Wings send Ducks packing in Game 7

YES!  We now have The Hawks vs the Wings!!  I had a feeling that was where this was headed...this will be an interesting series, I think!!

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/14/09 at 9:44 pm

YES!  We now have The Hawks vs the Wings!!  I had a feeling that was where this was headed...this will be an interesting series, I think!!

Makes it a bit tougher for Los Hawks, fo sho :o

Written By: Frank on 05/15/09 at 12:57 am

Detroit/Chicago will be a fast skating series.
Detroit is certainly the favorite.

Surprised that Carolina beat Boston and now face Pittsburgh.
The Staal brothers will play against each other.
Pittsburgh will finally face a proven good goalie as well. That series is a toss-up for me.

Written By: statsqueen on 05/15/09 at 8:56 pm

Detroit/Chicago will be a fast skating series.
Detroit is certainly the favorite.

Surprised that Carolina beat Boston and now face Pittsburgh.
The Staal brothers will play against each other.
Pittsburgh will finally face a proven good goalie as well. That series is a toss-up for me.

Wings fan (even though football is my sport) here, but had to root for Pitt because they have former Ferris standout Chris Kunitz who got an assist in an earlier game.  He played with the Ducks when they won the Cup and spent part of his 24 hrs w/ it at Ferris.  That was really cool.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/15/09 at 9:39 pm

Wings won last year.  Let's let Chicago in on some of that action :D :D

Written By: statsqueen on 05/15/09 at 10:12 pm

Wings won last year.  Let's let Chicago in on some of that action :D :D

lol  Good luck with that.  Why do you think they call Detroit "Hockeytown"?  Besides, it isn't like we have any other decent pro teams!  At least Chicago has the Bears.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/15/09 at 10:14 pm

lol  Good luck with that.  Why do you think they call Detroit "Hockeytown"?  Besides, it isn't like we have any other decent pro teams!  At least Chicago has the Bears.

*GUFFAW*

Well, I guess I shouldn't laugh knowing what happened with your football team last year :-[

Written By: anabel on 05/15/09 at 10:16 pm

See that lone vote up at the top for the Blackhawks?  That was me!  (on April 17th)  ;)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/15/09 at 10:18 pm

I actually voted for the Penguins.  I have a vested interest in both Chicago and Carolina though.

Written By: statsqueen on 05/15/09 at 10:42 pm

*GUFFAW*

Well, I guess I shouldn't laugh knowing what happened with your football team last year :-[

lol Are you kidding?  ;D ;D    I'm not really a hockey fan, just know enough to not sound totally stupid.  However, my lone Detroit team, the Pistons, didn't fare as well as I thought they should.  However, when it comes to my love--football--I'm all about Chicago and Tampa Bay.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/15/09 at 10:49 pm

Chicago isn't exactly a GOOD team either :D :D

The hockey team is definitely a pleasant surprise though 8)  If Chicago plays either Pittsburgh or Carolina in the Finals I'm not sure who I would root for, but at least there would be some good hockey played (at least the ones I can actually watch :P :P )

Written By: Big Nasty on 05/17/09 at 7:09 am

With the elimiination of my Capitals I just want the Stanley Cup Champion to be somebody different.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/17/09 at 5:53 pm

With the elimiination of my Capitals I just want the Stanley Cup Champion to be somebody different.

Like NOT the Red Wings?  :D

Written By: anabel on 05/17/09 at 6:24 pm

lol Are you kidding?  ;D ;D     I'm not really a hockey fan, just know enough to not sound totally stupid.  However, my lone Detroit team, the Pistons, didn't fare as well as I thought they should.  However, when it comes to my love--football--I'm all about Chicago and Tampa Bay.

Having grown up in Illinois, when the Bears come down here to play the Bucs, I'm at that game!  ;)

Written By: Frank on 05/17/09 at 11:55 pm

Detroit wins game one.
Looks liek a good series here. Chicago will make some adjustments.

Detroit is still the favorite to win the whole thing. The team that scares me is Carolina, pretty much beat NJ and Boston under the radar.

Written By: anabel on 05/18/09 at 9:55 pm

We definitely got stung, didn't we?  I was pretty upset with the Blackhawks way back when they traded Chris Chelios away. (10 years ago-I can really hold a grudge)  I think he was my first sports crush.... ::) then I decided I hated Detroit for taking him away from the Hawks (and me). I didn't even watch hockey for 2 or 3 seasons after that. So I have mixed feelings about this series.  I want Chicago to win, of course, but I like Chelios too.  He probably won't even play, but the rest of the Detroit team?  I have no problem with Chicago taking them down.

GO BLACKHAWKS!!!!

Written By: Frank on 05/18/09 at 10:06 pm

We definitely got stung, didn't we?   I was pretty upset with the Blackhawks way back when they traded Chris Chelios away. (10 years ago-I can really hold a grudge)  I think he was my first sports crush.... ::)
GO BLACKHAWKS!!!!

I was REALLY UPSET when in 1991 Montreal (my favorite team) traded Chris Chelios for an aging Denis Savard.
I'm still upset about that one.
I met Chris Chelios once in about 1989, in a bar in Montreal. He wasn't the most friendly person on earth.
The girl he was with was really great looking. She had long blond hair. His wife is a brunette, so...umm...I guess he was having fun... :o

Written By: anabel on 05/19/09 at 8:38 pm

Ok, if Chicago loses again tonight, I may not be such a graceful loser!  ;)  :)

And it's not looking good right now..... It's Detroit 2, Us 1 in the 3rd......  :-\\

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/19/09 at 8:50 pm

TIED!

Written By: anabel on 05/19/09 at 9:38 pm

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/06/lsvader.gif  Doing my best Darth Vader voice.....

NOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

Written By: Frank on 05/19/09 at 9:43 pm

Chicago played better tonight.
OT loss is tough. Now they go back home to Chicago and I expect Chicago to hit a little more and cause even more traffic in front of Osgood. They have to do that if they expect to get back in the series.
Detroit up 2-0 in the series.
Wings look good...again.

Written By: Frank on 05/21/09 at 5:56 pm

Carolina must beat Pittsburgh tonight if they hope to have a chance to win the series. That is my male intuition feeling.  ;D

Written By: Frank on 05/21/09 at 11:22 pm

Carolina loses 7-4. I didn't see Cam Ward giving up 7 goals.
They have to win 4 out of 5 now to make it to the next round.

Unpossible?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/21/09 at 11:28 pm

Carolina loses 7-4. I didn't see Cam Ward giving up 7 goals.
They have to win 4 out of 5 now to make it to the next round.

Unpossible?

Not unpossible, but highly improbable...

Written By: Frank on 05/22/09 at 8:34 pm

Black Hawks look good tonight, 3-0 right now.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/22/09 at 8:40 pm

3-1!

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/22/09 at 8:45 pm

3-2!  :o  Need to step it up a bit eh.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/22/09 at 8:46 pm

And holy crap it's tied :o

Written By: Frank on 05/22/09 at 9:13 pm

I really jinxed the Black Hawks, didn't I.

Huet's in goal now? 
Chicago NEEDS this game, badly.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/22/09 at 10:02 pm

Apparently Chicago won...but I can't see it being updated just yet.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/22/09 at 10:02 pm

Oh there it is.  4-3 OT 8)

Written By: Frank on 05/22/09 at 10:43 pm

Good for Chicago, game 4 should be sweeeeeeeeeeet. Can't wait for it.

Written By: anabel on 05/23/09 at 9:05 am

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/cheering.gif  Thank goodness! We only saw just the overtime and that was awesome! Patrick Sharp saved us!!! And Game 4 will be at the United Center.... ;)

I went out with a group of friends last night, and the guys think it's funny that even if I've had a couple of beers, I keep up with all the scores better than they do.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/23/09 at 6:08 pm

Hopefully the Hawks get up to a big lead and don't blow it :D

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/23/09 at 6:09 pm

Go Pens and/or Canes tonight!

Written By: Frank on 05/23/09 at 10:41 pm

Go Pens and/or Canes tonight!

Malkin/Crosby too much for Hurricanes
Pens win 6-2

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/23/09 at 11:45 pm

Yeah, that was crazy pwnage.

Written By: Frank on 05/23/09 at 11:59 pm

Yeah, that was crazy pwnage.

Carolina looks tired. Can they win 4 in a row. I think they can, but maybe next November. It's over (Unless Fleury,  Malkin and Crosby all have a horrible accident/mishap a la those 9 baseball players playing for Mr. Burns team on "The Simpsons")

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/24/09 at 12:01 am

Carolina looks tired. Can they win 4 in a row. I think they can, but maybe next November. It's over (Unless Fleury,  Malkin and Crosby all have a horrible accident/mishap a la those 9 baseball players playing for Mr. Burns team on "The Simpsons")

It's happened only like 2 or 3 times in NHL history...I doubt Carolina has the depth to do it.

Written By: Frank on 05/24/09 at 12:08 am

It's happened only like 2 or 3 times in NHL history...I doubt Carolina has the depth to do it.

Maybe if James Harrison's dog gets loose in and attacks Gonchar, Malkin and Crosby. It is Pittsburgh.

Written By: anabel on 05/24/09 at 6:30 pm

Stick a fork in Chicago.  We're done.

6-1? At the United Center?

I'm  :\'(

Detroit leads the series 3-1, I seriously doubt there's any coming back from that.  But maybe?  we'll see.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/24/09 at 6:41 pm

It can happen.

What an asswhuppin' though...

Written By: Frank on 05/24/09 at 10:31 pm

Chicago is done, unless Lidstrom, Datsiuk, Osgood don't return, and 17 other mishaps.

Written By: loki 13 on 05/26/09 at 6:50 pm

Off topic a bit but it is a sad day.

TORONTO (AP) -Peter Zezel, a center who played 15 NHL seasons after breaking into the league with the Philadelphia Flyers
as a teenager, has died. He was 44. Zezel struggled with a rare blood disease called hemolytic anemia the past 10 years.
He suffered from the ailment off and on, but had rebounded after being in critical condition in 2001.The Toronto Sun reported
that Zezel was admitted to the hospital last week for scheduled surgery, but complications developed and his conditioned worsened.
The gritty center who became known for his strong two-way game died Tuesday.

In 873 NHL games with Philadelphia, St. Louis, Washington, Toronto, Dallas, New Jersey and Vancouver, Zezel had 219 goals and 389 assists

Peter Zezel had a bit part in the movie "Youngblood" and he was definitely a fan favorite wherever he played. RIP Peter.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/26/09 at 6:52 pm

That sucks :(

Written By: anabel on 05/26/09 at 7:22 pm

TORONTO (AP) -Peter Zezel, a center who played 15 NHL seasons after breaking into the league with the Philadelphia Flyers
as a teenager, has died. He was 44. Zezel struggled with a rare blood disease called hemolytic anemia the past 10 years.
He suffered from the ailment off and on, but had rebounded after being in critical condition in 2001.The Toronto Sun reported
that Zezel was admitted to the hospital last week for scheduled surgery, but complications developed and his conditioned worsened.

In 873 NHL games with Philadelphia, St. Louis, Washington, Toronto, Dallas, New Jersey and Vancouver, Zezel had 219 goals and 389 assists

Peter Zezel had a bit part in the movie "Youngblood" and he was definitely a fan favorite wherever he played. RIP Peter.

44 is so young, really. That is sad!  :\'(

Written By: Frank on 05/26/09 at 11:18 pm

Yah, I heard it was close to the end over the weekend. Sad News. He was a good one.

Written By: Frank on 05/26/09 at 11:21 pm

Not surprisingly, Pittsburgh wins again.
Rematch of last year's final?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/26/09 at 11:30 pm

Not surprisingly, Pittsburgh wins again.
Rematch of last year's final?

I'd rather the Hawks were in the final.

Written By: Frank on 05/27/09 at 1:34 am

I'd rather the Hawks were in the final.

Chicago needs to win 3 in a row. Can you see Detroit losing 3 in a row?
almost UNPOSSIBLE

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/27/09 at 1:54 pm

Chicago needs to win 3 in a row. Can you see Detroit losing 3 in a row?
almost UNPOSSIBLE

Improbable, but not unpossible :D

Written By: anabel on 05/27/09 at 6:56 pm

If we do get eliminated, I will NOT root for those Red Things!  I'll be saying GO PENS!  I really don't want to, though.

Written By: Frank on 05/28/09 at 12:24 pm

Detroit/Pittsburgh.

First rematch of a final since 1983-84 ( Oilers/Islanders..players like Gretzky, Bossy, Potvin, Messier, Kurri, Trottier, Coffey...remember them?)

I would say Detroit has an advantage if they were healthy. How effective will Lidstrom and Datsiuk be after some time off? And are they healthy enough to play? We shall wait and see.
If healthy, Detroit should win. if Osgood plays well, Detroit should win. If not, Pittsburgh has a good chance.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/28/09 at 12:33 pm

Maybe Osgood will start sucking :D

Written By: Frank on 05/28/09 at 2:27 pm

Maybe Osgood will start sucking :D

Could happen.
Games 1 and 2 are Saturday & Sunday. How healthy can Datsiuk & Lidstrom be on back to back days after the layoff & injuries. Advantage: Pittsburgh

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/28/09 at 3:00 pm

Could happen.
Games 1 and 2 are Saturday & Sunday. How healthy can Datsiuk & Lidstrom be on back to back days after the layoff & injuries. Advantage: Pittsburgh

Back to back games?  Wow

Written By: Frank on 05/28/09 at 5:20 pm

Back to back games, I'm sure they want to maximize their $$ having weekend games.
Maybe 15 more people in Alabama will watch this.

Written By: anabel on 05/28/09 at 8:04 pm

I'm going to have to have a talk with the Blackhawks.  Even though I still  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/05/herz.gif them, I need to change my avatar.  When it's over, it's over.  But the avatar doesn't want to change!  Seriously!  I don't mean to be cruel to the poor avatar,, but I'm trying to replace it with a Magic avatar and it won't change!  I even tried to just use one of my old avatars, and the Blackhawks will NOT go.  And I know how to change it, I do so quite often. Wonder what's up? I'll keep trying.

Written By: anabel on 05/28/09 at 8:05 pm

WHOA!  It just changed after I posted that ^ !  My avatar box is ALIVE!!!!!!

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/28/09 at 10:08 pm

:D

Written By: Frank on 05/30/09 at 5:29 pm

Game starts soon.
Can't believe the NHL is having 3 games in 4 nights.

Written By: Jessica on 05/31/09 at 2:10 am

Poor Penguins :(

Written By: Frank on 05/31/09 at 2:14 am

It's only 1 game. Things may change tomorrow.

Written By: Jessica on 05/31/09 at 2:16 am

It's only 1 game. Things may change tomorrow.

They were almost completely dominated in the first period, Detroit was defensively awesome and sustained the offensive zone while Pittsburgh only got a lucky rebound goal...didn't see the rest of the game :(

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/31/09 at 4:15 am

It was a very sad night here in Pittsburgh.  You shoulda seen them at the bar I was in.  :(

I only have a passing fancy for hockey, but gosh was it frightening when the two players on the Redwings both lost their helmets and kept on playing.  I was so scared they were gonna get their heads bashed in accidentally.  I mean, I know helmets aren't the end-all/be-all protection, but geez, at least it's something better then bare head.  I've fallen down enough in snow/ice to know how much it hurts to hit your head on the ice.  (Hmmm...that could explain my personality defects too... too much falling on ice.)  :-\\

Thankfully nobody got hurt and I worried for no reason.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/31/09 at 11:22 am

I think, until the early 80s, barely anyone wore helmets and it wasn't absolutely required until the mid-90s...nowadays a lot of players also wear visors.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/02/09 at 9:42 pm

Go Pens!  Let's tie it up on Thursday!  8)

Written By: anabel on 06/04/09 at 6:53 pm

GO PENS!!!   

That's all I got, I'm still sad the Hawks are out.  But I do hope the Penguins take it!!

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/04/09 at 6:57 pm

Me too!  :o

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/04/09 at 8:36 pm

ZOMFG PENGUINS!!!!

Written By: Frank on 06/06/09 at 11:21 am

Pittsburgh looks good, but they still have to win in Detroit
Wait and see.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/06/09 at 4:57 pm

Pittsburgh looks good, but they still have to win in Detroit
Wait and see.

They can do it!

Written By: Frank on 06/07/09 at 12:36 am

Detroit was too good at home.
I think Pittsburgh will bounce back in game 6 and it will be a great game. I'm saying a 1 goal game coz Pittsburgh will fight for their lives and Detroit is 1 win away from the cup.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/07/09 at 12:49 am

That was a beatdown :(  It's like they weren't even interested in playing

Written By: Frank on 06/07/09 at 1:00 am

That was a beatdown :(  It's like they weren't even interested in playing

They'll play a lot better in game 4 (doesn't say much, they can't play worse)
Malkin is really strange. Some days he plays like Mario Lemieux, other days he plays like a guy who belongs in the AHL

Written By: loki 13 on 06/07/09 at 9:59 am

They'll play a lot better in game 4 (doesn't say much, they can't play worse)
Malkin is really strange. Some days he plays like Mario Lemieux, other days he plays like a guy who belongs in the AHL

Malkin is strange in a sense, he's cheap. He is a really good player but he also one of the dirtiest players in the league.
When he concentrates on the cheap sh....stuff he is awful, which is what he did yesterday. If he would just play the
game like he his capable of he could be one of the elites, he should stop the late hits, elbows and slashes, that's what
Talbot is for.

Written By: Frank on 06/08/09 at 11:21 pm

Game 6 tomorrow night, should be a good one!
Can't wait

Written By: loki 13 on 06/09/09 at 7:41 pm

I was about to throw something through the TV.  >:(  Freaking NBC was frozen for the better part
of the first period.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/09/09 at 7:46 pm

I was about to throw something through the TV.  >:(  Freaking NBC was frozen for the better part
of the first period.

Punks.  I'm not home yet, I see the game is still scoreless though with Pittsburgh outshooting Detroit.  Why can't they do that in Detroit?  :(

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/09/09 at 9:51 pm

Holy F****** S*** that was crazy.

Written By: Frank on 06/10/09 at 12:55 am

Game 7 on Friday!

My heart is with Pittsburgh, but here's why I think Detroit will win
1) Game seven is at home
2) They are the defending cup champs
3) Pittsburgh has not played well in Detroit

But, the game isn't played on paper.
May the best team win!

Written By: Frank on 06/10/09 at 2:04 pm

There have been 14 game 7's in the finals.
Home team has won 12, visitors have won only 2.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/10/09 at 2:07 pm

Game 7 on Friday!

My heart is with Pittsburgh, but here's why I think Detroit will win
1) Game seven is at home
2) They are the defending cup champs
3) Pittsburgh has not played well in Detroit

But, the game isn't played on paper.
May the best team win!

Yeah, playing at Detroit scares me, what with the crazy bouncy boards and the octopi...I hope the Penguins win but I'm not holding my breath.  I think if they play as well as they did in the Pittsburgh home games that they have a better than average shot at winning.

Written By: Frank on 06/12/09 at 11:55 am

Tonight's the night.
Game 7

I know I'll be watching.
Who's the hero tonight?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/12/09 at 11:59 am

I vote for someone unknown, relatively.  Like Orpik for the game-winning blue-line shot

Written By: Frank on 06/12/09 at 12:05 pm

I vote for someone unknown, relatively.  Like Orpik for the game-winning blue-line shot

I'll guess Talbot for Pittsburgh, and Franzen for Detroit.

Written By: anabel on 06/12/09 at 12:26 pm

Tonight's the night.
Game 7

I know I'll be watching.
Who's the hero tonight?

I'm supposed to go out tonight, so I may catch it some while I'm out, but I hope the Penguins win.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/12/09 at 12:27 pm

I'm supposed to go out tonight, so I may catch it some while I'm out, but I hope the Penguins win.

I do too!

Written By: Frank on 06/12/09 at 12:29 pm

I'm gonna miss the first period coz of work.
Hope it's not 4-0 for someone when I get back home.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/12/09 at 12:41 pm

I'm gonna miss the first period coz of work.
Hope it's not 4-0 for someone when I get back home.

If it is 4-0 I hope it's the Penguins up :D

Written By: Max Power on 06/12/09 at 5:37 pm

If the Red Wings lose the game, will Hossa be on a suicide watch? ;D

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/12/09 at 8:37 pm

He shouldn't have left.  Lame.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/12/09 at 9:38 pm

http://www.hockeyforum.com/photopost/data/2/1918_PITTSBURGH_PENGUINS_LOGO_2_edited.jpg

Go Penguins, your 2009 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!  :D :D :D

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/12/09 at 9:41 pm

Woot!

Written By: Ashkicksass on 06/12/09 at 9:43 pm

http://www.hockeyforum.com/photopost/data/2/1918_PITTSBURGH_PENGUINS_LOGO_2_edited.jpg

Go Penguins, your 2009 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!  :D :D :D

Steve will be thrilled.  Anybody but the Red Wings!

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/12/09 at 10:03 pm

The Red Wings won last year, they can wait.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/12/09 at 10:03 pm

Go PENS!

Written By: anabel on 06/12/09 at 11:36 pm

Way To Go Pens !!

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/0612/nba_g_crosby13_288v.jpg

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/13/09 at 12:00 am

Greatest Game 7 I've ever seen...

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/13/09 at 12:00 am

Well, I take that back, I rather enjoyed the one between the Avalanche and the Devils where Ray Bourque won his first and only Stanley Cup before retiring.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/13/09 at 12:06 am

Definitely the BEST Game 6 I've seen though...check out Scuderi doing his goalie imitation

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0905/nhl.stanley.cup.finals/images/franzen-scuderi-fleury-game-6.jpg

Written By: Frank on 06/13/09 at 11:13 am

Great game, fabulous saves by Fleury at the end.

Nice to see Mario lift that cup again.
Nice to see Pittsburgh win.
NHL got what they want, their "chosen one" as captain winning the cup. Great way to market the league.

Malkin wins the Conn Smythe, Art Ross, Stanley cup, has a chance for the Hart trophy, but still has minimal respect compared to Sid.

I hear Hossa wants to go back in time and play for the Buffalo Bills of 15 to 20 years ago.
LOL!

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/13/09 at 3:57 pm

Great game, fabulous saves by Fleury at the end.

Nice to see Mario lift that cup again.
Nice to see Pittsburgh win.
NHL got what they want, their "chosen one" as captain winning the cup. Great way to market the league.

Malkin wins the Conn Smythe, Art Ross, Stanley cup, has a chance for the Hart trophy, but still has minimal respect compared to Sid.I hear Hossa wants to go back in time and play for the Buffalo Bills of 15 to 20 years ago.
LOL!

He has minimal respect compared to Ovechkin too :P

Written By: Frank on 06/14/09 at 7:40 pm

NHL Season's over. Summer begins.
I'm bored already!

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/14/09 at 7:53 pm

NHL Season's over. Summer begins.
I'm bored already!

Thank goodness for Youtube

Written By: Frank on 06/14/09 at 8:01 pm

Thank goodness for Youtube

and for DVDs of older games.

Written By: Frank on 06/19/09 at 3:26 pm

Ovechkin gets MVP, 2 years in a row (but yet, NHL still markets Crosby as the best player, and he gets the most attention too)

Datsiuk gets Lady Bing & Selke
Chara gets Norris.
Ovechkin gets Leston Pearson, Malkin gets Art Ross, Conn Smythe.
Very European flavor to these awards.

Check for new replies or respond here...