inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Basketball's G.O.A.T.

Written By: Big Nasty on 04/26/09 at 6:37 pm

This is a great argument in any sport.  Who exactly is the greatest player in the history of Basketball? In fact I would like to see anybody that votes for this poll explain their opinion. Maybe we can get a friendly argument going here on this thread.

What make a player the greatest at his position, sport, or whatever profession? Is it statistics, championships, or their affect on the players around them?

Subject: Re: Basketball's G.O.A.T.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 04/26/09 at 6:57 pm

Michael Jordan.  6 championships in an expanded league against world-class competition.  Plus he was just awesome 8)

Written By: Big Nasty on 04/26/09 at 7:01 pm

You know somehow I knew you would be the first to post here Rice Cube.

Written By: Big Nasty on 04/26/09 at 7:06 pm

I know that the popular thing to do is vote Michael. I went for a guy who actually averaged a Triple Double...The only person to ever do that.

In fact Oscar averaged a Triple Double over his first 5 season....His averages were 30.3 point/10.4 Rebounds/10.6 Assists per game. The Big "O" did all of this with far less talent around him the Michael had..except the year he won the title with Lew Alcindor.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 04/26/09 at 7:09 pm

I know that the popular thing to do is vote Michael. I went for a guy who actually averaged a Triple Double...The only person to ever do that.

In fact Oscar averaged a Triple Double over his first 5 season....His averages were 30.3 point/10.4 Rebounds/10.6 Assists per game. The Big "O" did all of this with far less talent around him the Michael had..except the year he won the title with Lew Alcindor.

Ah yes, Oscar Robertson...I am a fan of triple doubles.

Written By: Big Nasty on 04/26/09 at 7:10 pm

I can only imagine his stats if had was surrounded by better talent though out his career.

Written By: anabel on 04/26/09 at 7:11 pm

I don't have a fancy brilliant explaination for this, but I think the greatest is Wilt.  He started out with the Globetotters, so he already had mad skills before he even made it to the NBA...he set and broke so many records, 100 points in a game, etc.  He's all about the stats.  I think he showed everyone else how to play the game.

I love MJ the most, he's my absolute favorite of all time, but this isn't about favorites, right?  I'd place MJ 2nd, but he's the player who has my  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/06/lovelove.gif

Written By: Big Nasty on 04/26/09 at 7:14 pm

I don't have a fancy brilliant explaination for this, but I think the greatest is Wilt.  He started out with the Globetotters, so he already had mad skills before he even made it to the NBA...he set and broke so many records, 100 points in a game, etc.  He's all about the stats.  I think he showed everyone else how to play the game.

I love MJ the most, he's my absolute favorite of all time, but this isn't about favorites, right?  I'd place MJ 2nd, but he's the player who has my  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/06/lovelove.gif

This is totally an opinion poll so it is whatever you think.  I will also say that Wilt was so dominate that at one point I believe in College dunking was illegal.  You see wilt was like 7'1" and  still had like a 40 inch vertical leap.

Written By: Big Nasty on 04/26/09 at 7:15 pm

You see the argument against Wilt and Oscar are the amount of Championships they won or didn't win.  That give Michael a leg up on them but what of a guy like Bill Russell who won 11 titles in 13 years as an undersized player for the Celtics?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 04/26/09 at 7:36 pm

I can only imagine his stats if had was surrounded by better talent though out his career.

I think because the rest of the team sucked, that's why Oscar had to put up such insane numbers.  If he had been surrounded by better talent he'd probably not have averaged the triple double, but he still would have been a Hall of Famer.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 04/26/09 at 7:37 pm

Wilt changed the offense rules and Bill Russell changed the defensive rules.  That's how dominant they were.  Bill had better teammates though and Wilt was like quadruple teamed and the other teams always held the ball towards the end of games due to the lack of a shot clock.

Written By: anabel on 04/26/09 at 7:40 pm

I love this topic!  Is it ok to mention (brag) here that I've met (at least shook hands with) at least 8 of the top 20 of all time at one time or another? I worked for the Orlando Magic when they came out with one of those Top 100 lists came out, and several that are still alive came to one of the games. Also, the Magic host what's called "The Black Tie and Tennies Gala" every year and I was at 3 or 4 of those. Ok, on with the countdown!  :)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 04/26/09 at 7:42 pm

^ I bet it was awesome to meet so many greats.  I wish they would change the rules back to the old days when they didn't call hand-checking and you could bodyslam a player without getting called for a foul :D 

Written By: Frank on 04/27/09 at 12:14 am

I never saw Oscar Robertson or Wilt in their prime. The best I've seen is Jordan.

Written By: anabel on 04/27/09 at 9:00 pm

I never saw Oscar Robertson or Wilt in their prime. The best I've seen is Jordan.

That's still something to be proud of!  ;) 

My son is showing serious interest in basketball and baseball (Thank goodness, I've been waiting!) and I tell him some stories of players and games I've seen, so he'll have a greater appreciation for it than many kids do these days..he already knows more about sports than most of the other kids at school, so I'm proud.  8)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 04/27/09 at 10:03 pm

That's still something to be proud of!  ;) 

My son is showing serious interest in basketball and baseball (Thank goodness, I've been waiting!) and I tell him some stories of players and games I've seen, so he'll have a greater appreciation for it than many kids do these days..he already knows more about sports than most of the other kids at school, so I'm proud.  8)

Good, good...

Written By: Big Nasty on 05/03/09 at 8:39 am

Although I did not vote for Michael Jordan, I knew he would likely lead in this poll through out. I mean this man earned such nicknames as "money", "HIs Airness", as well as "Basketball GOD", just to name a few. There have been numerous players that have earned the curse of being labeled the next Michael Jordan. So although I stand by my vote I do understand that it is a great possibility he will dominate this thread.

Check for new replies or respond here...