inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Barry Bonds makes appearance at AT&T Park

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/06/09 at 4:24 pm

"this article taken from ATT insider from our company website"

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Barry Bonds received a warm welcome from San Francisco Giants fans in his first appearance at AT&T Park this season.

Bonds sat between team CEO William Neukom and president Larry Baer in the front row next to the Giants' dugout during Monday night's game against the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Baseball's career home run king with 762, Bonds appeared relaxed as he smiled and waved during a standing ovation following the first inning.

The team showed a compilation of his home runs on the scoreboard as a tribute. The longtime Giants slugger also popped into the broadcast booth and provided some in-game commentary.

Bonds was at the ballpark on Aug. 9 last season when the Giants celebrated the 50th anniversary of their move from New York to San Francisco - also with the Dodgers in town.

Bonds hasn't played in the majors since 2007. His perjury trial has been delayed at least through July and likely beyond, as an appeal filed by prosecutors over key evidence for the trial winds through the legal system.

The seven-time NL MVP has pleaded not guilty to lying to a grand jury in 2003 when he testified that he never knowingly used performance-enhancing drugs. He faces 10 counts of making false statements to a grand jury and one count of obstruction of justice.

...so will Barry ever return to play the game? if he's proven innocent of the charges, I doubt he'll play, it's going on 2 years now, but if he's in game ready shape, he would bring fans to the ballpark which seems to be a problem this year for the Giants.

Subject: Re: Barry Bonds makes appearance at AT&T Park

Written By: Frank on 05/06/09 at 4:49 pm

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Barry Bonds received a warm welcome from San Francisco Giants fans in his first appearance at AT&T Park this season.

Bonds sat between team CEO William Neukom and president Larry Baer in the front row next to the Giants' dugout during Monday night's game against the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Baseball's career home run king with 762, Bonds appeared relaxed as he smiled and waved during a standing ovation following the first inning.

The team showed a compilation of his home runs on the scoreboard as a tribute. The longtime Giants slugger also popped into the broadcast booth and provided some in-game commentary.

Bonds was at the ballpark on Aug. 9 last season when the Giants celebrated the 50th anniversary of their move from New York to San Francisco - also with the Dodgers in town.

Bonds hasn't played in the majors since 2007. His perjury trial has been delayed at least through July and likely beyond, as an appeal filed by prosecutors over key evidence for the trial winds through the legal system.

The seven-time NL MVP has pleaded not guilty to lying to a grand jury in 2003 when he testified that he never knowingly used performance-enhancing drugs. He faces 10 counts of making false statements to a grand jury and one count of obstruction of justice.

...so will Barry ever return to play the game? if he's proven innocent of the charges, I doubt he'll play, it's going on 2 years now, but if he's in game ready shape, he would bring fans to the ballpark which seems to be a problem this year for the Giants.

How old is Barry now, about 44? 45? Doubt he will play even if he is found not guilty.

Written By: anabel on 05/06/09 at 6:07 pm

I haven't missed him at all. 

Do you work for AT&T?  I did for 8 years!  :)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/06/09 at 6:48 pm

How old is Barry now, about 44? 45? Doubt he will play even if he is found not guilty.
Crikey!! you're right. he's gonna be 45 this year. he's done  ::)

I haven't missed him at all. 

Do you work for AT&T?  I did for 8 years!  :)
me neither, haven't missed him but I saw the article today and it made me wish that he had been more press and fan friendly, would have made a huge difference.  you worked for AT&T in what state?  I've been with the company here in norther Cal for 25 years, I got a pretty good gig right now. stil waiting for our expired contract to be settled. why don't you work for ATT anymore?

Written By: anabel on 05/06/09 at 7:24 pm

I tested to get on in Chicago, where I grew up, but when I tested well, they told me they had a spot in Salt Lake City, Utah. So I went out there and helped open up the first 24 hour center.  I started out in customer service in Leased Equipment.  I stayed there for about 5 years.  Then I transferred from Customer Service to Sales Rep.  I came to Orlando, FL and sold Business Long Distance.  Plush job in the Sun Trust Center downtown, 23rd floor, top of the world!  Loved it and was making $40,000+ at age 25 and single!!

That WAS the life....then I met my son's Dad.  We dated for a couple of years, got married and had Matthew. When I went out on maternity leave, I decided to say home with him instead of going back right away.  I ended up staying home with him for his first 2 1/2 years.  I'm so glad I did, but when it came time to give the husband the boot and go back to work, the AT&T around here just wasn't what it used to be and I decided not to go back. But I am vested and will get a fair little check when I turn 103....  ;)   I miss being Union. I was a steward for awhile.

I started back out in the work force doing merchandising here in Tampa, and now I've been with CitiBank for almost 4 years!  Well, it seemed like a smart move at the time....lol  ::) 

Written By: anabel on 05/06/09 at 7:52 pm

Wow, can I really throw a thread off topic or WHAT!?!?  Sorry about that!  :)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/06/09 at 8:18 pm

Julio Franco played until he was like 100.  Bonds can probably still play if he kept in shape during his off-time.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/06/09 at 9:43 pm

I tested to get on in Chicago, where I grew up, but when I tested well, they told me they had a spot in Salt Lake City, Utah. So I went out there and helped open up the first 24 hour center.  I started out in customer service in Leased Equipment.  I stayed there for about 5 years.  Then I transferred from Customer Service to Sales Rep.  I came to Orlando, FL and sold Business Long Distance.  Plush job in the Sun Trust Center downtown, 23rd floor, top of the world!  Loved it and was making $40,000+ at age 25 and single!!

That WAS the life....then I met my son's Dad.  We dated for a couple of years, got married and had Matthew. When I went out on maternity leave, I decided to say home with him instead of going back right away.  I ended up staying home with him for his first 2 1/2 years.  I'm so glad I did, but when it came time to give the husband the boot and go back to work, the AT&T around here just wasn't what it used to be and I decided not to go back. But I am vested and will get a fair little check when I turn 103....  ;)   I miss being Union. I was a steward for awhile.

I started back out in the work force doing merchandising here in Tampa, and now I've been with CitiBank for almost 4 years!  Well, it seemed like a smart move at the time....lol  ::) 
nice to hear tales from a former "phone company" employee.  thank goodness you won't have to wait til you're 103 to get a pension check. sounds like you had a decent experience in the company and you had a good gig in Florida making big bucks as a "kid". 

Wow, can I really throw a thread off topic or WHAT!?!?   Sorry about that!  :)
don't feel too bad as we've all done it  8)

Julio Franco played until he was like 100.  Bonds can probably still play if he kept in shape during his off-time.
oh yeah, and thruout his career he had a funky batting stance, but effective. Barry could probably still crank out 30 HRs and get 85 RBI's at his age.    yanno,  I do admire these old guys that think they can still play ball  ::)

Written By: La Roche on 05/08/09 at 2:17 pm

oh yeah, and thruout his career he had a funky batting stance, but effective. Barry could probably still crank out 30 HRs and get 85 RBI's at his age.    yanno,  I do admire these old guys that think they can still play ball  ::)

I e-mailed Dayton Moore and suggested that he sign Barry and use him as the DH. Whatever happens, he'll hit .300.

I can't stand Barry, but it would be a good signing, especially seeing as it would only cost the Royals a pro-rated portion of the league minimum.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/08/09 at 2:29 pm

I e-mailed Dayton Moore and suggested that he sign Barry and use him as the DH. Whatever happens, he'll hit .300.

I can't stand Barry, but it would be a good signing, especially seeing as it would only cost the Royals a pro-rated portion of the league minimum.

sure it would be a good signing, and it would be interesting to see him in a different uniform. DH would be perfect for him at this time in his life

Written By: La Roche on 05/08/09 at 2:31 pm

sure it would be a good signing, and it would be interesting to see him in a different uniform. DH would be perfect for him at this time in his life

Pretty much. The way the Royals are playing, a decent slugger in the DH spot could well put them over the top in the turbulent AL central.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/08/09 at 2:36 pm

Pretty much. The way the Royals are playing, a decent slugger in the DH spot could well put them over the top in the turbulent AL central.
So i wonder if he's been working out much or just taking it easy. if i were Barry, I'd sign with KC just for the good BBQ the city has to offer  :)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/08/09 at 2:37 pm

I still hate the DH but do agree it would be a good signing.

Check for new replies or respond here...