inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: President to throw out the first pitch at the all star game.

Written By: La Roche on 06/23/09 at 9:34 pm

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090623&content_id=5485966&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Reason for the thumbs down?

1) I don't like him.

2) I'm a union stage hand and as such will be heavily involved in setting up everything for the all star game, the President's attendance will mean endless hassle. "Yes sir, I am carrying a knife." "Why, well because when a length of rope wraps itself around my leg I want to be able to cut it off." When Joe Biden and Sarah Palin had their debate at Wash U I ended up having a big argument with a city cop that was ended by a Secret Service agent. The cop wouldn't let me in because I had no idea showing that I was supposed to be there. I explained that we're never given anything, we show up and check in with the foreman. The Secret Service agent understood this and took me there apologizing most of the way, the city cop looked pissed off as I grinned and waltzed past him.

Anyway, should the President be at the all-star game? Isn't the whole game just a farce anyway? Opinions, Opinions!

Subject: Re: President to throw out the first pitch at the all star game.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/23/09 at 9:38 pm

I hope the NL wins. 

I wager he'll bounce a changeup in the dirt, he is a southpaw after all...

Written By: Frank on 06/24/09 at 12:49 am

I hope the NL wins. 

I wager he'll bounce a changeup in the dirt, he is a southpaw after all...

At least he's not a bush league pitcher.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/24/09 at 12:51 pm

Not easy throwing a pitch while wearing a bulletproof vest eh.

Written By: anabel on 06/25/09 at 4:46 am

Not surprisingly, I'm an AL girl, personally I don't like Obama but I don't discuss politics too much...

You can still vote at mlb.com for your favorite players to get on the teams...you can vote for the AL and the NL or just one if you want,but if you don't vote, you can't complain about who gets to play and who doesn't... ;)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/25/09 at 10:34 am

The DH is the Devil.

Written By: La Roche on 06/25/09 at 12:01 pm

Not surprisingly, I'm an AL girl, personally I don't like Obama but I don't discuss politics too much...

You can still vote at mlb.com for your favorite players to get on the teams...you can vote for the AL and the NL or just one if you want,but if you don't vote, you can't complain about who gets to play and who doesn't... ;)

Actually I can complain.

The All Star game is an utter farce.

Let's look at the starting line up shall we:

The National League is actually fairly sensible -

1B - Albert Pujols - Best player in the game.
2B - Chase Utley - Certainly the best choice. But let's anaylze this - 1.56 million votes for Rickie Weeks (injured) and Skip Schumaker (statistically the very worse second baseman in the majors)
3B - David Wright, whilst a Met, is the best choice. But Bill Hall, currently in the middle of a 1 for 50 something slump, the .197 hitting Bill Hall has nearly 1,000,000 votes.
SS - Han Ram is current leading. But Jimmy Rollins with essentially his worst ever season is right behind him.
C - Yadier Molina - I can't really complain much about this. Perennial gold glover, he's nowhere near the hitter Brian McCann is but behind the plate he's the best.
OF - Raul Ibanez
OF - Ryan Braun
OF - Carlos Beltran - All good choices, but Beltran is injured. But Wait, wait, in 4th, is the .227 leadoff hitting Alfonso Soriano! A typical example of Cub idiocy, he's fast so he must be a leadoff hitting, he can't field his position, even in left, but let's vote in our millions!
Hell, why is Rick Ankiel 8th, he can't hit.. literally.. anything right now.

I can't even face the AL right now, but I expect to see a plethora of 'DH' type players in the outfield. For shame.. for shame.

Written By: EthanM on 07/06/09 at 4:56 pm

Jason Marquis made the team over Gallardo. I think that sums it up

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/06/09 at 4:58 pm

Jason Marquis made the team over Gallardo. I think that sums it up

To be fair, Marquis' having a pretty good season in not-so-pitcher-friendly Denver.

Written By: EthanM on 07/06/09 at 5:05 pm

he isn't mark redman at least

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/06/09 at 5:07 pm

he isn't mark redman at least

That was because the Royals needed one rep :D  But I'm sure you knew already.  Pretty sad when a dude with a 5+ ERA is your only All-Star.

Written By: Frank on 07/06/09 at 6:38 pm

I'm not watching the game.
Don't remember the last time I watched an all-star game.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/06/09 at 9:07 pm

I'm not watching the game.
Don't remember the last time I watched an all-star game.

I watched last year's game...great final play, even if it did take 15 innings and almost till 2 AM before I got to sleep :D

Check for new replies or respond here...