inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: will Pete Rose get into the Hall of Fame?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/29/09 at 12:26 am

After  ::)  the Commisioner reinstates Pete, will he get into the Hall? it's still kinda if'y because he will be voted on by living Hall of Famers instead of sportswriters; read the portion of the article below for details on that. So how would you vote?   it's a tough one for me. after 20 years I'd be forgiving. Pete was an incredible ballplayer and his statistics speak for themselves  Some say allowing him into the Hall would damage the integrity of the game and weaken the deterrent that his punishment provides. I say it can't be damaged anymore than it already has been with steroids and cheating. If he had bet on his team to lose then no way in hell does he get my vote, but his betting on baseball & his team supposedly occured while he was a manager only, and not during his active career as a baseball player. I say that Bud Selig should reinstate him and then YES, vote him into the HOF, but with an ASTERISK  *  that details the story of his banning and the price he paid and how Baseball gave one of it's legends a 2nd chance.  

MLB commissioner Bud Selig mulling pardon for hit king Pete Rose

by Bill Madden -DAILY NEWS sports writer

COOPERSTOWN - Thanks to the behind-the-scenes lobbying from some of the most influential Hall of Famers, commissioner Bud Selig is said to be seriously considering lifting Pete Rose's lifetime suspension from baseball.

The tip-off that Selig may now be inclined to pardon baseball's all-time hit king was Hank Aaron's seemingly impromptu interview session with a small group of reporters in the lobby of the Otesaga Hotel on Saturday. In declaring for the first time that he would want an asterisk put on the achievements of any steroid cheats elected to the Hall of Fame, Aaron brought up Rose, who, in August of 1989, was given a lifetime ban for gambling on baseball, saying: "I would like to see Pete in. He belongs there."

If Selig does reinstate him, Rose then would become eligible for the Hall of Fame, but on the Veterans Committee ballot, as his 15 years on the Baseball Writers ballot expired during his time on the ineligible list. He would thus have to be elected by his peers, the 65 living members in the Hall of Fame, not all of whom agree with Aaron, Morgan and Robinson that Rose has done his time. It's hard to say if he would get the necessary 75% for election. "I know there are still guys who feel strongly against him," said one Hall of Famer, "and I don't know if that would change even if Selig clears him."

Read entire article::::: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/2009/07/27/2009-07-27_pete_rose.html

Subject: Re: will Pete Rose get into the Hall of Fame?

Written By: danootaandme on 07/29/09 at 6:10 am

I would say yes, posthumously, with an asterisk. There isn't any possible way, even if inducted before he passes on, he should be allowed to attend his induction.  If he gets in Shoeless should, too.

Written By: ninny on 07/29/09 at 6:23 am

I think he should with an asterisk.

Written By: nally on 07/29/09 at 12:51 pm

I think he should with an asterisk.

I'm leaning towards that decision too.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/29/09 at 1:02 pm

I would say yes, posthumously, with an asterisk. There isn't any possible way, even if inducted before he passes on, he should be allowed to attend his induction.  If he gets in Shoeless should, too.
I am sure Shoeless Joe's chances are ZERO since his team threw the World Series for money, but I'm also not sure if Shoeless played to lose like his teammates did.  in the movie Eight Men Out, he appears dumb and goes along but he still plays to win and then signs a confession that he was part of the conspiracy to throw the game even though he played his ass off.

I'm leaning towards that decision too.
me too.  let him in with an asterisk and any players involved in steroid scandals that make the hall should get the asterisk...in fact, maybe they should build a seperate *Asterisk wing at the Hall Of Fame  :)

Written By: Frank on 07/29/09 at 4:38 pm

Pete will be in the hall of fame. Great player, Most hits ever, many 200 hit seasons.
But I think he will be let in when he's dead or close to it. He may not be allowed to make any speech tho (if he's still alive when inducted)

If I were to vote, I'd vote him in TODAY.
He may not be the nicest guy around, but one hell of a ball player. 

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/29/09 at 10:32 pm

Pete will be in the hall of fame. Great player, Most hits ever, many 200 hit seasons.
But I think he will be let in when he's dead or close to it. He may not be allowed to make any speech tho (if he's still alive when inducted)

If I were to vote, I'd vote him in TODAY.
He may not be the nicest guy around, but one hell of a ball player.  

well if it does ever happen, the ceremony will have a dark cloud over it

Written By: Frank on 07/30/09 at 12:49 am

well if it does ever happen, the ceremony will have a dark cloud over it

It will, and some members may not show up because of it, and you just know some hard line guys will never vote Pete in.

Check for new replies or respond here...