inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Olympics 2010

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/29/09 at 8:34 pm

My brother, Jason will be competing next year, in Vancouver.

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/team-canada/athletes/athlete=3446/competitive-history/index.html

Good luck, Jason!

Subject: Re: Olympics 2010

Written By: ladybug316 on 08/29/09 at 10:18 pm

OH, that's SO awesome!  8)  Good luck, Jason

Written By: Frank on 08/30/09 at 12:11 am

Very Cool. I actually live in the area so I'll see lots of excitement in Feb 2010.
Hope your bro wins and has lost of fun over here.

Written By: Henk on 08/30/09 at 1:29 am

OH, that's SO awesome!   8)  Good luck, Jason

I second that.  :) Good luck to your brother.

Written By: gibbo on 08/30/09 at 4:34 am

Wow...hope Jason performs well over there. We'll be following his event... :)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/30/09 at 5:17 pm

Considering he came in 45th place last time, I'm sure he'll do awesome.

Written By: mikebennington on 09/12/09 at 4:07 pm

Thanks for information!!!
I was really searching this type of information in last few days.
This information will give me lot of help in near future.
Thanks a lot

Written By: mikebennington on 09/12/09 at 4:07 pm

Thanks for your useful information.
It might be very useful to us.

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/06/09 at 4:33 pm

I hope he does well.

And also in 2012, someone in my church named Michelle is going to try to be in the London Summer Olympics!

Written By: Frank on 10/06/09 at 6:23 pm

In the local news, there is still a concern the Athlete's village won't be completed in time.

(Oh it will be, with lots of overtime work, overtime pay putting the total over budget and taxpayers will pay for it)

Written By: karen on 10/06/09 at 6:33 pm

In the local news, there is still a concern the Athlete's village won't be completed in time.

(Oh it will be, with lots of overtime work, overtime pay putting the total over budget and taxpayers will pay for it)

Do you think they deliberately mess about in the early stages so they can get all the extra money?

Written By: Frank on 10/07/09 at 12:38 am

Do you think they deliberately mess about in the early stages so they can get all the extra money?

It's actually a bigger problem than that. The project's original lender stopped payment on its loan to developers in the fall and the city had the choice of trying to renegotiate with them or take over the development.
Now it's over budget by 246 million.  Apparently some of the construction inside some units wasn't deemed safe either.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/07/09 at 6:49 am

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/team-canada/athletes/athlete=3446/competitive-history/index.html

Good luck, Jason!

HOT DOG
  Remind us when it happens so we can all rally round.  :)

Written By: blindme on 10/25/09 at 5:18 pm

I think it will be completed, after all this country knows how to make a big events. These kind of news always show before every Olympic Game, summer or winter.

Written By: Frank on 10/31/09 at 5:33 pm

Here is a photo on our beautiful city, Vancouver. I took this about a month ago.

That white blob on the right is where (I think) the opening ceremonies will be held.

Written By: Frank on 01/10/10 at 7:51 pm

Less than 35 days now

Written By: Frank on 01/22/10 at 1:06 pm

Only 3 weeks away.

Due to a very mild winter, some of the snow on the local mountains is melting ( for snowboarding Olympic events) . We hope some snow will arrive otherwise lost of man made snow will be used.

Written By: Henk on 01/22/10 at 2:22 pm

Only 3 weeks away.

Due to a very mild winter, some of the snow on the local mountains is melting ( for snowboarding Olympic events) . We hope some snow will arrive otherwise lost of man made snow will be used.

I understand it's too hot even to make artificial snow.

Written By: karen on 01/22/10 at 4:03 pm

It is locally.  We went skiing in Vermont at the weekend and had to dodge areas of bare grass/mud

Written By: Frank on 01/22/10 at 4:38 pm

They have a plan to import snow if necessary.

Written By: Henk on 01/22/10 at 4:44 pm

It is locally.  We went skiing in Vermont at the weekend and had to dodge areas of bare grass/mud

I was talking about the Vancouver area. That's nowhere near Vermont, as far as I know. :-\\

Written By: Frank on 01/22/10 at 5:01 pm

I was talking about the Vancouver area. That's nowhere near Vermont, as far as I know. :-\\

Hi Henk, I think Karen was just pointing out the weather is similar in Vermont right now. But you are correct, Vancouver and Vermont are about 5000kms apart.

Written By: nondiva234 on 01/23/10 at 4:19 am

I am a Vancouverite as well, and I'm hella excited that the Olympics are three weeks away! I'll be working at the Olympic Store at The Bay, which will perhaps be the most busy retail place in the downtown Vancouver core, not to mention the home of Canada House (so all our kick-ass athletes, and hopefully your brother, Penny Wise, will be there celebrating their success). If anyone happens to be in town during that time (and if you, Frank, decide to brave the mad traffic that will be ensuing), pop by the Olympic Store and say hi! :)

The name's Josh, BTW.

In other Olympic news, the streetcar we borrowed from Belgium officially opened two days ago. It's free, and passengers can get from the Olympic Village and the underground train station to Granville Island and Switzerland House and the Francophonie House. This might be a long-term plan, as Vancouver wants to bring back streetcars, which were retired way back in the 50s.

Written By: Frank on 01/24/10 at 11:20 pm

I am a Vancouverite as well, and I'm hella excited that the Olympics are three weeks away! I'll be working at the Olympic Store at The Bay, which will perhaps be the most busy retail place in the downtown Vancouver core, not to mention the home of Canada House (so all our kick-ass athletes, and hopefully your brother, Penny Wise, will be there celebrating their success). If anyone happens to be in town during that time (and if you, Frank, decide to brave the mad traffic that will be ensuing), pop by the Olympic Store and say hi! :)

The name's Josh, BTW.

In other Olympic news, the streetcar we borrowed from Belgium officially opened two days ago. It's free, and passengers can get from the Olympic Village and the underground train station to Granville Island and Switzerland House and the Francophonie House. This might be a long-term plan, as Vancouver wants to bring back streetcars, which were retired way back in the 50s.

Hi Josh, if I am downtown, I might drop by and say hi. I know where the store is.

Written By: Frank on 01/30/10 at 2:28 am

2 weeks until the Winter Olympics begin!

Written By: Henk on 01/30/10 at 2:58 am

Most countries have their Olympic selections sorted out by now, and Holland is no exception. There'll be 36 Dutch athletes present in Vancouver (a record high).

In spite of my earlier rantings about snowboarder Dimi de Jong (who, at age 15, would have been the youngest Dutch Olympian ever) he didn't make the cut. I * thought * he had already qualified, but it turns out he was only nominated, and failed to qualify.

Written By: Frank on 02/03/10 at 10:44 am

So, the weather isn't going to get any cooler here before the Olympics. We had the warmest January on record.  Trucks have been hauling snow (from a 250KM drive away) for the freestyle skiing and snowboarding events. They expect 150 truckloads of snow.

And the Olympic media center was flooded yesterday (broken water pipes, I think) Some equipment damaged.

Written By: Henk on 02/03/10 at 11:55 am

You know, by the time the snowboarding events start there´ll probably be a monstrous blizzard creating havoc. It´s always like that. ::)

Written By: loki 13 on 02/03/10 at 7:04 pm

I'm actually looking forward to Olympic hockey, though my friends in The Great White North must forgive me, but I
hope that Team Canada fails miserably. Even though Mike Richards and Chris Pronger are on the team, two Flyers
cannot counteract my disdain for Sidney Crosby. Team USA has zero chance of making it to the medal rounds so
for whom do I throw my support. Not Russia, I liked Ovechkin in his first couple of seasons but he turned out to be
every bit of a cherry picking baby that Crosby is, plus the team has another hated Penguin in Evgeni Malkin. I can
only hope that the European teams can fair well unless there is a chance of a Miracle On Ice II.....I doubt it.

Written By: Frank on 02/04/10 at 1:39 am

You know, by the time the snowboarding events start there´ll probably be a monstrous blizzard creating havoc. It´s always like that. ::)

Forecast says no.

Written By: Frank on 02/04/10 at 1:43 am

I'm actually looking forward to Olympic hockey, though my friends in The Great White North must forgive me, but I
hope that Team Canada fails miserably. Even though Mike Richards and Chris Pronger are on the team, two Flyers
cannot counteract my disdain for Sidney Crosby. Team USA has zero chance of making it to the medal rounds so
for whom do I throw my support. Not Russia, I liked Ovechkin in his first couple of seasons but he turned out to be
every bit of a cherry picking baby that Crosby is, plus the team has another hated Penguin in Evgeni Malkin. I can
only hope that the European teams can fair well unless there is a chance of a Miracle On Ice II.....I doubt it.

Pretty much everyone here in Canada expects Canada to win Gold in Men's Hockey. Winning silver would be a national disaster.
The pressure the Canadian team is under, is just incredible.

Having said that, I'd say Russia is the favorite (Ovechkin, Malkin, Kovalchuk), followed by Canada and then Sweden.
Other teams have a chance in a 1 game do or die tournament. Any team that gets a hot goalkeeper has a chance. That includes Czech's Finland, USA.

Written By: nondiva234 on 02/06/10 at 6:12 pm

Pretty much everyone here in Canada expects Canada to win Gold in Men's Hockey. Winning silver would be a national disaster.
The pressure the Canadian team is under, is just incredible.

Having said that, I'd say Russia is the favorite (Ovechkin, Malkin, Kovalchuk), followed by Canada and then Sweden.
Other teams have a chance in a 1 game do or die tournament. Any team that gets a hot goalkeeper has a chance. That includes Czech's Finland, USA.

Not a national disaster, Frank, but rather national suicide, lol! It'll be front page news if we win gold, and it'll be front page news if we don't win gold. :D

6 days to go! People here are joking that we've created a new Olympics for the spring, as it's just beautiful in terms of spring weather, lol! As for the downtown core, so many streets are blocked off now, but what they've set up there is just magnificent!

Written By: Frank on 02/06/10 at 7:34 pm

Not a national disaster, Frank, but rather national suicide, lol! It'll be front page news if we win gold, and it'll be front page news if we don't win gold. :D

6 days to go! People here are joking that we've created a new Olympics for the spring, as it's just beautiful in terms of spring weather, lol! As for the downtown core, so many streets are blocked off now, but what they've set up there is just magnificent!

I will try and get downtown early next week, have an errand to run, might drop by the store...I imagien it's really busy.

Written By: nondiva234 on 02/06/10 at 10:13 pm

I will try and get downtown early next week, have an errand to run, might drop by the store...I imagien it's really busy.

Last time I checked, it's not too crazy, lol...I may not be there, but definitely I will be there during the hectic two weeks...:D

Written By: nondiva234 on 02/11/10 at 10:33 pm

So I was very fortunate enough to see the torch relay twice. Really crazy rainy weather today, but it was all worth it to see such an exciting event! One more day, folks!

Written By: nally on 02/11/10 at 10:35 pm

So I was very fortunate enough to see the torch relay twice. Really crazy rainy weather today, but it was all worth it to see such an exciting event! One more day, folks!

Great!! Must've been exciting to see. 8)

Tomorrow night at this time I will probably be watching the opening ceremonies (that is, unless I decide to watch something else, which I might).

Written By: Frank on 02/12/10 at 2:12 am

Lucky you ! The closest they went to my place was Richmond 2 days ago.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/12/10 at 3:21 am

Skeleton's Shelley Rudman to carry the British flag at the opening ceremony of Games

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/12/10 at 12:11 pm

The opening ceremony of Games with be broadcasted live during the early hours of the morning here in the UK, so I will have to see the edited highlights tomorrow.

Written By: Henk on 02/12/10 at 2:22 pm

Latest news (and this just in) is that a Georgian athlete has crashed and died on the luge track.

Nodar Kumaritshvili turned 21 last November. And the Games hadn't even started.

Written By: Henk on 02/12/10 at 3:42 pm

Latest news (and this just in) is that a Georgian athlete has crashed and died on the luge track.

Nodar Kumaritshvili turned 21 last November. And the Games hadn't even started.

Well, apparently no-one cares.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/12/10 at 3:45 pm

Well, apparently no-one cares.
Yes, tragic news, what are the circumstances?

Written By: Henk on 02/12/10 at 3:54 pm

Yes, tragic news, what are the circumstances?

Nodar Kumaritshvili made a steering error in the final curve of the descent during training sessions earlier today, was catapulted from his sled and hit a metal post that supports the roofing constrution. Aid workers were quick to respond, but their help was to no avail.
I don't know what exactly has caused the Georgian's death.

Kumaritshvili was not the only athlete having troubles with the track. Sadly, he is the first athlete ever to die at the Winter Olympics.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/12/10 at 3:57 pm

Nodar Kumaritshvili made a steering error in the final curve of the descent during training sessions earlier today, was catapulted from his sled and hit a metal post that supports the roofing constrution. Aid workers were quick to respond, but their help was to no avail.

Kumaritshvili was not the only athlete having troubles with the track. Sadly, he is the first athlete ever to die at the Winter Olympics.
Did I hear correctly that the weather is not right for winter sports, more rain than snow?

Written By: Henk on 02/12/10 at 4:07 pm

Did I hear correctly that the weather is not right for winter sports, more rain than snow?

You'd have to ask Frank.

Written By: Frank on 02/12/10 at 6:05 pm

You'd have to ask Frank.

Very sad news to hear that the Georgian Athlete passed away, heard it this morning.
More rain than snow/ yes. It's supposed to be +13C today, and the mogul run tomorrow is in danger of being cancelled, not enough snow...
Today it's supposed to be +12C here ( of course, cooler in the mountains, but still above 0C)

Written By: ninny on 02/12/10 at 10:38 pm

How sad.
Are they having problems due to the warm weather?

Very sad news to hear that the Georgian Athlete passed away, heard it this morning.
More rain than snow/ yes. It's supposed to be +13C today, and the mogul run tomorrow is in danger of being cancelled, not enough snow...
Today it's supposed to be +12C here ( of course, cooler in the mountains, but still above 0C)

I think Frank answered my question

Written By: Henk on 02/12/10 at 11:22 pm

How sad.
Are they having problems due to the warm weather?

I think Frank answered my question

The troubles on the luge and bobsleigh track have nothing to do with the warm weather. Snow conditions in Whistler area are good. It's just that the track itself is a biatch.

The warm weather is causing trouble in Vancouver area (where the snowboarding events take place) though.

Written By: Frank on 02/12/10 at 11:47 pm

The troubles on the luge and bobsleigh track have nothing to do with the warm weather. Snow conditions in Whistler area are good. It's just that the track itself is a biatch.

The warm weather is causing trouble in Vancouver area (where the snowboarding events take place) though.

You are right.

And sadly, I just saw the video that has caused the Georgian's death. Terrible.

Written By: Henk on 02/13/10 at 2:17 am

You are right.

Yes, I've seen those images too. The poor guy didn't stand a chance.

On a happy note: that was some spectacular show you guys performed last night (yes, I sat right through all three hours of it, in spite of the massive time difference).

Written By: Henk on 02/13/10 at 2:24 am

This turns out not to be true. There have been fatal accidents at the Winter Olympics before.

Written By: Frank on 02/13/10 at 2:29 am

Yes, I've seen those images too. The poor guy didn't stand a chance.

On a happy note: that was some spectacular show you guys performed last night (yes, I sat right through all three hours of it, in spite of the massive time difference).

I sat through all 3.5 hours too, and viewed some fireworks outside out living room window afterwards. It wasn't as good as Beijing, but not bad.

Written By: nondiva234 on 02/13/10 at 2:36 am

While Beijing has definitely left a mark, I think our Opening Ceremonies were fantastic, and I loved the fact that our Aboriginals came out to welcome the athletes. What beautiful cultural clothing they wore!

As for the luger, apparently, the fatal corner is quite sharp, and leaves little room for error. My heart goes out to his teammates and family and friends back home. So tragic... :\'(

Written By: Henk on 02/13/10 at 3:07 am

Let's see what today is gonna bring...

Medal Events:
Ski Jumping (90m ramp)...
Alpine Skiing, Men's Downhill (although I've heard that this might've been postponed :-\\) ...
Speed Skating (Men's 5000m) ...
Biathlon (Women's 7.5km Sprint Race) ...
Shorttrack Skating (Men's 1500m) ...
Freestyle Skiing (Women's Moguls)

I'm not sure about the Canadian chances of a medal here, but we (i.e. the Dutch) expect nothing less than gold on the 5000m Speed Skating (for Sven Kramer). Sadly, Kramer's had an unlucky draw, and is one of the first of the favorites to start. We'll keep our fingers crossed...

Other Events:
(Ice) Hockey (Women's Qualifying Matches, includes Canada v Slovakia) ...
Luge (Men, Runs 1&2) ...
Shorttrack Skating (Women's 500m Series, Women's 3000m Relay Semi Finals).

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/13/10 at 6:51 am

Just been watching the Opening Ceremony highlights on the BBC.

Was the singer of the Canadian National Anthem miming or was the transmission completely out of sync?

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/13/10 at 11:05 am

The men's luge competition will now begin from the lower women's start.

Also, the men's downhill has been rescheduled for Monday.

Written By: Tam on 02/13/10 at 12:38 pm

Not the first Henk - just the first most will remember. :(
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/02/12/sportsline/main6202560.shtml

Written By: Henk on 02/13/10 at 4:32 pm

Not the first Henk - just the first most will remember. :(
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/02/12/sportsline/main6202560.shtml

I had already found this out too.

This turns out not to be true. There have been fatal accidents at the Winter Olympics before.

Written By: Henk on 02/13/10 at 4:35 pm

I'm not sure about the Canadian chances of a medal here, but we (i.e. the Dutch) expect nothing less than gold on the 5000m Speed Skating (for Sven Kramer). Sadly, Kramer's had an unlucky draw, and is one of the first of the favorites to start. We'll keep our fingers crossed...

And yes, Sven did just what he was supposed/expected to do. :)

GOLD MEDAL    Sven Kramer (NED)
SILVER MEDAL  Seung Hoon Lee (KOR)
BRONZE MEDAL Igor Skobrev (RUS)

Quite a surprise for silver and bronze there.

Written By: Frank on 02/13/10 at 5:09 pm

GOLD MEDAL    Sven Kramer (NED)
SILVER MEDAL  Seung Hoon Lee (KOR)

Hooray for Holland!  :)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/13/10 at 10:55 pm

Canada got it's first medal!!!!

Woooo Hooo!

http://olympics.thestar.com/2010/article/765242--jennifer-heil-wins-canada-s-first-medal-with-moguls-silver

Jenn Heil just won a silver, for ski moguls.

Written By: Henk on 02/14/10 at 1:26 am

GOLD MEDAL     Sven Kramer (NED)
SILVER MEDAL   Seung Hoon Lee (KOR)

That should be Ivan Skobrev, not Igor. Well, it was kinda late...

Canadians Lucas Makowsky and Denny Morrison finished 13th and 18th respectively.

Short Track Skating:
None of the Dutch skaters/teams managed to qualify for the A Finals.
Canadian Olivier Jean finished unlucky 4th in the 1500m final, 8/10th of a second short for bronze.
In the 3000m relay for women, Team Canada qualified for the A Final.

Women's Ice Hockey:
Team Canada thrash Team Slovakia 18 to 0.

Written By: Henk on 02/14/10 at 1:27 am

Woooo Hooo!

http://olympics.thestar.com/2010/article/765242--jennifer-heil-wins-canada-s-first-medal-with-moguls-silver

Congrats to Canada! :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/14/10 at 2:34 am

It has occured to me that the majority of the Olympics events from Vancouver will be covered live on tv when I am asleep.

Written By: Tam on 02/14/10 at 2:38 am

I had already found this out too.

Sorry Darlin', I pulled a snoz and replied before reading the rest of the thread. ;)

Written By: nondiva234 on 02/14/10 at 3:26 am

Yay Jenn Heil! While you didn't win the coveted gold on home soil we've been waiting for 22 years, you made at most 34 milliion people proud! :D

Written By: whistledog on 02/14/10 at 6:26 am

I felt bad for the Japanese girl who fell on the jump on the Ski moguls, but then I LOL'd when she fell again at the finish line. 

I was on the edge of my seat hoping Jenn would keep that Gold, but I knew she wouldn't.

The one thing I am happy about the Olympics is seeing the great Canadian sportscaster Brian Williams for CTV's coverage of the games.  As long as I can remember, he has been doing it back when the Olympics were on CBC.  I wonder if it's going to get confusing:  CTV's Brian Williams and NBC Anchor Brian Williams are both in Vancouver.  lol

Written By: Henk on 02/14/10 at 8:17 am

It has occured to me that the majority of the Olympics events from Vancouver will be covered live on tv when I am asleep.

I'm facing the same problem, although luckily most of the speed skating action takes place in the evening (CET, that is).

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/14/10 at 8:18 am

I'm facing the same problem, although luckily most of the speed skating action takes place in the evening (CET, that is).
Events can be watched on BBC iPlayer, but it is not the same when the result is already known.

Written By: whistledog on 02/14/10 at 4:10 pm

That's your punishment for nabbing the 2012 Summer Olympics :P

Written By: Frank on 02/14/10 at 4:26 pm

Woooo Hooo!

Saw that. Woo Hoo!
I can actually see the mountain from where I live ( of course, it's far away), it's so cool! All the lights, visible from far away.

Written By: gibbo on 02/14/10 at 4:45 pm

Saw that. Woo Hoo!
I can actually see the mountain from where I live ( of course, it's far away), it's so cool! All the lights, visible from far away.

There must be a real buzz of excitement in the air.  :)  The Canadian girl (who got the silver) was sooooo close to a gold. Just one American away... :-\\

Written By: whistledog on 02/14/10 at 8:20 pm

CANADA GETS GOLD!

Written By: gibbo on 02/14/10 at 8:22 pm

CANADA GETS GOLD!

Congrats to Canada... :)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/14/10 at 9:40 pm

CANADA GETS GOLD!

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooo Hooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

8)

Written By: ninny on 02/14/10 at 9:50 pm

Ditto that.

Written By: nally on 02/14/10 at 11:26 pm

You are right.

I saw it the other night too. I agree it is terrible. :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(

Written By: nally on 02/14/10 at 11:27 pm

CANADA GETS GOLD!

Ditto that.

Agreed; it is nice that the host country gets a gold.

Written By: Frank on 02/15/10 at 10:11 am

CANADA GETS GOLD!

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/08/rainfro.gif http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/08/rainfro.gif http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/08/rainfro.gif http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/08/rainfro.gif http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/08/rainfro.gif http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/08/rainfro.gif http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/08/rainfro.gif

Written By: Paul on 02/15/10 at 12:41 pm

That's your punishment for nabbing the 2012 Summer Olympics :P

No, our punishment comes when the final bill for the whole affair drops into our laps!  ::)

(I'm sure Paris knew something right at the last minute!)

Written By: Henk on 02/15/10 at 1:37 pm

CANADA GETS GOLD!

First gold medal for Canada at any Canadian Olympics, as I understand it. No such luck in Montreal or Calgary. So congrats! :)

Written By: Marian on 02/15/10 at 4:16 pm

I heard of one that wasn't fatal--involved a deaf coach who was too close to the track and a sledder hit him,resulting in him losing a leg.I don't remember the last time an athlete died. :(

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/15/10 at 5:57 pm

Canada has just won silver!

8)

Cooooool!

Written By: Tam on 02/15/10 at 9:58 pm

CANADA GETS GOLD!

Watched the Medal ceremony and cried like a baby! How sad am I? ;D ;D

Written By: Frank on 02/15/10 at 11:52 pm

First gold medal for Canada at any Canadian Olympics, as I understand it. No such luck in Montreal or Calgary. So congrats! :)

Yes, out 1st gold on home soil.

Written By: Frank on 02/16/10 at 12:13 pm

I'm actually posting from downtown Vancouver. Took a photo of the Olympic flame about 30 minutes ago, met about a zillion scalpers trying to buy/sell hockey tickets...met 1 crazy lady from Germany, she's like on pep pills..wondereful lady to speak with. Met 3 people from Italy and chatted with them briefly with my not so great Italian.  ;)

Only met 1 sorta famous person so far, Jacques Demers (he used to coach NHL hockey with Montreal, Detroit and St Louis, and is now a fairly famous hockey analyst in Canada.). He was real nice, friendly.
Not quite a lage crowd yet downtown, but it's building.
Having fun!

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/16/10 at 12:15 pm

Only met 1 sorta famous person so far, Jacques Demers (he used to coach NHL hockey with Montreal, Detroit and St Louis, and is now a fairly famous hockey analyst in Canada.). He was real nice, friendly.
Having fun!

Grab autographs!

Written By: Frank on 02/16/10 at 12:21 pm

Grab autographs!

I have my camera in case a really famous person is near.

Written By: Tam on 02/16/10 at 12:22 pm

I'm actually posting from downtown Vancouver. Took a photo of the Olympic flame about 30 minutes ago, met about a zillion scalpers trying to buy/sell hockey tickets...met 1 crazy lady from Germany, she's like on pep pills..wondereful lady to speak with. Met 3 people from Italy and chatted with them briefly with my not so great Italian.  ;)

Having fun!

This is great news Frank!!
I am so jealous that you are there!
Enjoy yourself my friend! 8)

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/16/10 at 12:23 pm

I have my camera in case a really famous person is near.
The BBC TV crew are standing in a public access point at Whistler Creekside

Written By: Frank on 02/16/10 at 12:24 pm

That's about 100Kms away from me

This is great news Frank!!
I am so jealous that you are there!
Enjoy yourself my friend! 8)

I'll try and drop by the Olympic store, depending on the crowds..

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/16/10 at 12:26 pm

That's about 100Kms away from meI'll try and drop by the Olympic store, depending on the crowds..
I did not realise the distance involved.

Written By: Tam on 02/16/10 at 1:22 pm

That's about 100Kms away from meI'll try and drop by the Olympic store, depending on the crowds..

It's all good! Just make sure you completely enjoy yourself and get to take in everything you want to! ;)

Written By: Paul on 02/16/10 at 1:46 pm

Quite amazing how the BBC have managed to take more crew to Canada than the entire British Olympic team!  ???

And they're not even filming it! All coverage is courtesy of OBS, so I gather...

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/16/10 at 2:15 pm

Quite amazing how the BBC have managed to take more crew to Canada than the entire British Olympic team!  ???

And they're not even filming it! All coverage is courtesy of OBS, so I gather...
Is Sue Barker out there or stuck in a studio in London?

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/16/10 at 2:51 pm

Good luck, Jason!

That is so cool Jamie!!  How is he doing?

Written By: whistledog on 02/16/10 at 5:15 pm

CANADA GETS GOLD!

http://helldescent.com/wp-content/uploads/goldmember.jpg

"WE LIKE ... GOOOOLLLLDDDD!"

Written By: Frank on 02/16/10 at 5:15 pm

It's all good! Just make sure you completely enjoy yourself and get to take in everything you want to! ;)

I did, it was a blast!
Olympic store had a line-up of about...500 people?  :D Didn't go in.
Wife and I plan to go one more time in the next 10 days.
Is was so fun to meet people from different countries, cultures. A great experience.  

I did not realise the distance involved.

It takes about 1.5 hours to drive from Vancouver to Whistler ( if no traffic).  Whistler is up in the Rocky mountains, it has snow.

Written By: Frank on 02/16/10 at 5:25 pm

Is Sue Barker out there or stuck in a studio in London?

Sue Barker, ex tennis player?

Written By: Tam on 02/16/10 at 5:47 pm

Canada gets another GOLD!!!

Maelle Ricker nails it in Snowboard Cross!

We now have 5 medals! 2 Gold, 2 Silver and 1 Bronze!!!

▌♥ ▌GO CANADA GO ▌♥ ▌

Written By: whistledog on 02/16/10 at 7:18 pm

Canada gets another GOLD!!!

Maelle Ricker nails it in Snowboard Cross!

We now have 5 medals! 2 Gold, 2 Silver and 1 Bronze!!!

▌♥ ▌GO CANADA GO ▌♥ ▌

Technically we have 3 silver as Australian skiier Dale Begg-Smith was born and raised in Vancouver.  He's only been living in Australia for about 9 years now, but we don't really like him anyway though.  He refuses to talk with CTV or NBC, and as well, his side computer business is involved in the distribution of spyware and malware.  

Written By: nondiva234 on 02/17/10 at 1:38 am

I did, it was a blast!
Olympic store had a line-up of about...500 people?  :D Didn't go in.
Wife and I plan to go one more time in the next 10 days.
Is was so fun to meet people from different countries, cultures. A great experience.  
It takes about 1.5 hours to drive from Vancouver to Whistler ( if no traffic).  Whistler is up in the Rocky mountains, it has snow.

Frank, I don't think Whistler is in the Rockies, unless someone tells me otherwise. The Rockies are to the east bordering Alberta and BC, are they not?

As for the Olympic Store, I actually was really lucky to bring up Martin Brodeur's family up to Canada House on the 6th floor of The Bay. As well, I was so close to having Canada's Golden Boy Alex (is his nickname Sasha?) Belodeau riding my lift! Damn those people who were already in my lift! :( Oh well, I saw him; that's all that counts! :D I still haven't seen you Frank, come say hi! I usually man the elevators, but you'll have to visit the other eight floors in order to see me. :P

A lot of critics are calling our Games one of the worst ever. What do you guys think? At least the IOC's on our side; they wouldn't have given it to Salzburg or Pyeongchang if they had to do it over again; they'd still award it to us.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/17/10 at 1:39 am

Sue Barker, ex tennis player?
That is her.

Written By: Frank on 02/17/10 at 11:09 am

Frank, I don't think Whistler is in the Rockies, unless someone tells me otherwise. The Rockies are to the east bordering Alberta and BC, are they not?

As for the Olympic Store, I actually was really lucky to bring up Martin Brodeur's family up to Canada House on the 6th floor of The Bay. As well, I was so close to having Canada's Golden Boy Alex (is his nickname Sasha?) Belodeau riding my lift! Damn those people who were already in my lift! :( Oh well, I saw him; that's all that counts! :D I still haven't seen you Frank, come say hi! I usually man the elevators, but you'll have to visit the other eight floors in order to see me. :P

A lot of critics are calling our Games one of the worst ever. What do you guys think? At least the IOC's on our side; they wouldn't have given it to Salzburg or Pyeongchang if they had to do it over again; they'd still award it to us.

True. I said Whistler was in BC's Rockies, instead of the southern Pacific Ranges of the Coast Mountains in the province of British Columbia, Canada, which might be harder for Philip to find on a map.  But you are right. I always thought Whistler was in the Rockies. Guess I don't know BC very well yet.

I tried coming yesterday..lineup for the store went down Seymour all the way around the corner at Dunsmuir St. I won't wait in line-ups that long. I might try again another day.
You met Brodeur's family and almost met Bilodeau? Cool! I guess you have seen some celebs down there.

Written By: whistledog on 02/17/10 at 3:23 pm

I notice alot of the figure skaters have been falling, and the women's snowboarders wiping out.  Not really the fault of Vancouver.  Just the luck of the draw.  I think the Vancouver games are one of the most exciting ever, but I may be biased because it is here in Canada and we finally got gold on home soil.

Written By: Frank on 02/17/10 at 3:56 pm

I notice alot of the figure skaters have been falling, and the women's snowboarders wiping out.  Not really the fault of Vancouver.  Just the luck of the draw.  I think the Vancouver games are one of the most exciting ever, but I may be biased because it is here in Canada and we finally got gold on home soil.

I watched the womens' downhill skiing, a couple of amazing falls as well.
Even tho she had an injury, Lindsay Vonn ( USA) blows away the field.  Good for her!

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/17/10 at 5:41 pm

Why on Earth would anyone say it was the worst Olympics?  How is that even possible?  What a bunch of crap!  >:(

Written By: ninny on 02/18/10 at 11:06 am

Good luck, Jason!

How has your brother been doing?

Written By: nally on 02/18/10 at 2:17 pm

I watched the womens' downhill skiing, a couple of amazing falls as well.
Even tho she had an injury, Lindsay Vonn (USA) blows away the field.  Good for her!

I saw that last night. I'm happy for her. O0 8)

Written By: Tam on 02/18/10 at 2:20 pm

That is so cool Jamie!!  How is he doing?

How has your brother been doing?

I think Jamie has abandoned us! ;D

I will direct him here!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/18/10 at 3:38 pm

I think Jamie has abandoned us! ;D

I will direct him here!

Sorry for not updating, but alas Jason, placed 45 out of 45, in Nordic Combine.

Written By: Henk on 02/18/10 at 4:41 pm

Canada takes another Gold as Christine Nesbitt wins the 1,000m, with Annette Gerritsen and Laurine van Riessen taking silver and bronze for the Netherlands.

That's speed skating, for those not in the know. ;)

Written By: ninny on 02/18/10 at 5:14 pm

Well at least he made the team. Is he in the long hill event also?

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/18/10 at 5:51 pm

Yeah, but he's still 45 out of MILLIONS.  So he kicks ass!  :D

Written By: ninny on 02/18/10 at 6:30 pm

Canada takes another Gold as Christine Nesbitt wins the 1,000m, with Annette Gerritsen and Laurine van Riessen taking silver and bronze for the Netherlands.

That's speed skating, for those not in the know. ;)

Is that the national sport of the Netherlands? :)

Written By: nondiva234 on 02/18/10 at 11:13 pm

Hey Penny, tell your brother to get on down to Canada House and say hi to me. :) I'd always like to meet athletes while I'm manning the elevators; Jeremy Wotherspoon was in my elevator just today! :D And if you're in town with him, I wouldn't mind you stopping by The Bay to say hi too! :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/19/10 at 12:46 am

Britain's Amy Williams leads at halfway in the women's skeleton with Shelley Rudman seventh, while Kristan Bromley lies fifth in the men's event.

Written By: Frank on 02/19/10 at 12:55 am

USA is doing VERY VERY well at these Olympics.

Written By: ninny on 02/19/10 at 6:24 am

USA is doing VERY VERY well at these Olympics.

The best of any winter Olympics before that I believe was 13 total medals.

Written By: Frank on 02/19/10 at 10:42 am

The best of any winter Olympics before that I believe was 13 total medals.

Medal standings as of Feb 18 completed

United States  6  5  7  18
Germany      4 4 3 11
Norway  3 3 2   8
Canada  3 3 1   7
France      2 1   4   7
Korea      3 2   0   5
Austria      1   2   2   5
Switzerland  3 0 1 4

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/19/10 at 11:35 am

Hey Penny, tell your brother to get on down to Canada House and say hi to me. :) I'd always like to meet athletes while I'm manning the elevators; Jeremy Wotherspoon was in my elevator just today! :D And if you're in town with him, I wouldn't mind you stopping by The Bay to say hi too! :D

Will do!  By the way, my name is Jamie (you can still can call me Penny, I don't mind!)

;D

Alas, I'm in Oakville, watching the whole thing on TV!

Cool! You meet Jeremy Wotherspoon, that's awesome!

8)

Written By: Henk on 02/19/10 at 2:17 pm

Is that the national sport of the Netherlands? :)

The national winter sport, yes. How did you guess? ;D

It's odd, though... It's about the only winter sport we're good at. No hockey, no figure skating (though these involve skating too), no skiing... We have a handful of decent snowboarders, and we're moving up in the world of bobsledding, but that's about it.

Written By: Frank on 02/19/10 at 4:53 pm

Our friends ( who live in the same building as us) are from Holland, and the have lots of orange on their windows right now, flags and posters.

Written By: Henk on 02/19/10 at 5:08 pm

Our friends ( who live in the same building as us) are from Holland, and the have lots of orange on their windows right now, flags and posters.

Orange is our national colour. But you guessed as much!

Written By: Frank on 02/19/10 at 5:14 pm

Orange is our national colour. But you guessed as much!

I have known that for years, ever since I watched the 1974 World cup of soccer.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/19/10 at 8:06 pm

Woooo Hooo!

The gold went to a Vermonter.

Cat

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/19/10 at 8:10 pm

The gold went to a Vermonter.

Cat

Cool!  Hurray for Vermot and the State!

8)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/19/10 at 8:32 pm

More info!

http://www.calgaryherald.com/business/Myslicki+longest+race+ends+disappointment/2565342/story.html

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/19/10 at 8:33 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRApXu8Cibs

Written By: whistledog on 02/19/10 at 9:50 pm

I wish Tanith Belbin, the American who just skated with Benjamin Agisto during the Ice Dancing, was skating for Canada.  She has dual citizenship and was born in the very city where I live 8)

It's been reported that Petra Majdič, the skiier who fell into that gulley, landing on ice and rocks, is going to sue Vancouver and the Olympics.  She broke like 4 ribs :(

Written By: nondiva234 on 02/19/10 at 11:23 pm

Okay then, Jamie, I'll call you by that name. :) You call your brother then to haul arse up to Canada House and take my elevator down when he's had enough fun inside there. :D The name's Josh (Joshua on my name tag, though), BTW. ;) 

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/20/10 at 1:16 am

Amy Williams wins Britain's first solo Winter Olympics gold medal for 30 years with victory in the women's skeleton.

Written By: nondiva234 on 02/20/10 at 1:30 am

Congrats to Britain for winning its first gold medal (and first medal) in these Games!

And not to rain on your parade, Philip, but Canada got its fourth gold in men's skeleton! Yay for John Montgomery! I better see him in Canada House, and he'd better be in my lift when I go to work, lol! :P

Written By: ninny on 02/20/10 at 6:06 am

The national winter sport, yes. How did you guess? ;D

It's odd, though... It's about the only winter sport we're good at. No hockey, no figure skating (though these involve skating too), no skiing... We have a handful of decent snowboarders, and we're moving up in the world of bobsledding, but that's about it.

Hey if your good with something you might as well go with it.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/20/10 at 7:56 am

More info!

http://www.calgaryherald.com/business/Myslicki+longest+race+ends+disappointment/2565342/story.html

It may have been a disappointment but he achieved something that very few can claim-he is an Olympian. That is a title that he will ALWAYS hold no matter what he does from this point on. He can use this as an experience and try again in 4 years.

You can tell him that I said, "Congrats to the Olympian."

Amy Williams wins Britain's first solo Winter Olympics gold medal for 30 years with victory in the women's skeleton.

I thought of you when I saw her win. Congrats to Amy Williams and to Britain.

Cat 

Written By: ninny on 02/20/10 at 8:45 am

Yes
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc283/mKBy09/Emoticon/thumbs_up_smiley-11.gif

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/20/10 at 8:55 am

Okay then, Jamie, I'll call you by that name. :) You call your brother then to haul arse up to Canada House and take my elevator down when he's had enough fun inside there. :D The name's Josh (Joshua on my name tag, though), BTW. ;) 

Actually, there could be a problem, I have no way to contact him outside of Facebook (which he hasn't been answering this couple of weeks) and phone (which he hasn't been answering this couple of weeks), however next time the both of you are in Vancouver, after the Olympics, I'll see what I can do on my end.

Written By: Frank on 02/20/10 at 10:48 am

Yay!

Congrats to Britain for winning its first gold medal (and first medal) in these Games!

And not to rain on your parade, Philip, but Canada got its fourth gold in men's skeleton! Yay for John Montgomery! I better see him in Canada House, and he'd better be in my lift when I go to work, lol! :P

I went downtown and was on skytrain shortly after he won, skytrain was CRAZY with shouting, horns, cowbells, crazy noises. Lots of people.

Written By: nondiva234 on 02/20/10 at 10:58 am

Yay!I went downtown and was on skytrain shortly after he won, skytrain was CRAZY with shouting, horns, cowbells, crazy noises. Lots of people.

It's a good thing I went home, lol! :P The rapid transit lines are ridiculous! So many people! Even at the stations where there are rarely any people to drop off/pick up, it's CRAZY!

Written By: Frank on 02/20/10 at 11:06 am

It's a good thing I went home, lol! :P The rapid transit lines are ridiculous! So many people! Even at the stations where there are rarely any people to drop off/pick up, it's CRAZY!

We were lucky to get on when we did. Some didn't. Global news say today there will be (maybe) over 1 hour wait on skytrain or Canada line.

Written By: Paul on 02/20/10 at 11:50 am

Global news say today there will be (maybe) over 1 hour wait on skytrain or Canada line.

This is another reason why I'm not exactly 'thrilled' about having the whole shebang here in two years time...

Our transport system can barely cope without a stack of 'Olympic traffic' involved! I dread the commute!  :P

Written By: nondiva234 on 02/20/10 at 5:21 pm

Good luck with that, Paul, lol! It's a good thing we only have a population of about 2.2 million people. If we had a city the size of London, trust me, I'd stay home for the whole two weeks.

Written By: Frank on 02/20/10 at 5:33 pm

This is another reason why I'm not exactly 'thrilled' about having the whole shebang here in two years time...

Our transport system can barely cope without a stack of 'Olympic traffic' involved! I dread the commute!  :P

I think London's tube is better than our trains, trust me.
The commute my wife has to take downtown is sometimes  8-P
But I have to say it's been fun.

If I were 20 -something and not approaching (gulp) 50, I might have more fun.

Written By: Henk on 02/21/10 at 12:55 am

And The Netherlands take a second gold! :D

Mark Tuitert surprises the field and wins the 1500m (speed skating), just ahead of Shani Davis (USA) and Havard Bökko (NOR).

Written By: nally on 02/21/10 at 12:58 am

And The Netherlands take a second gold! :D

Mark Tuitert surprises the field and wins the 1500m (speed skating), just ahead of Shani Davis (USA) and Havard Bökko (NOR).

I saw that on TV earlier. Davis seemed like he was gonna skate his way to another gold...but not quite fast enough so he got the silver (which is a fine achievement). Tuitert did great. 8) O0

Written By: Henk on 02/21/10 at 1:01 am

I saw that on TV earlier. Davis seemed like he was gonna skate his way to another gold...but not quite fast enough so he got the silver (which is a fine achievement). Tuitert did great. 8) O0

I couldn't see it because of the time difference. Well, maybe I could have if I really wanted, but I need my sleep.

Written By: nally on 02/21/10 at 1:05 am

I couldn't see it because of the time difference. Well, maybe I could have if I really wanted, but I need my sleep.

Yep, that happens. Depending on the time difference, there will be tape delays around the world. Depending upon where the Olympics are held from year to year, something eventful probably happens while I sleep.

Anyways, congratulations to Tuitert...

Written By: ninny on 02/21/10 at 8:39 am

Hopefully there will be something more tha curling on this coming week during the day. Don't get me wrong, it's not bad but I've seen enough to make me want to hurl :D

Written By: whistledog on 02/21/10 at 8:50 am

You could have taped it, though by doing that, it doesn't really have the same effect.  Watching it live as it happens is the better way to go.

Congrats to Netherlands.  I watched that race.  He deserved that gold 8)

Written By: whistledog on 02/21/10 at 8:52 am

I loved that one Ski-jumper who after doing all his flips and spins, despite not landing properly, he did a somersalt, and after his skiis went flying, he did land on his feet and ran down the rest of the way LOL

Written By: nondiva234 on 02/21/10 at 11:58 am

Congrats to the Dutch on their second gold! Fortunately, I'm not going to be raining on anyone's parade this time, because unfortunately, Canada didn't win anything yesterday. :( Because of that, we're in fifth place now behind the Americans, Germans, Norwegians, and South Koreans respectively. But we can certainly kick serious ass/arse today! :D

Written By: Frank on 02/22/10 at 11:32 am

Updated medal count:

United States  7  7  10  24
Germany Germany 6 7 5 18
Norway Norway 5 3 4 12
Canada Canada 4 4 1 9
Korea Korea 4 4 1 9
Austria Austria 2 3 3 8
Russian Federation Russian Federation 2 3 3 8
France France 2 2 4 8
Switzerland Switzerland 5 0 2 7
Sweden Sweden 3 1 2 6
China China 3 1 1 5
Netherlands Netherlands 3 1 1 5
Poland Poland 0 3 1 4
Italy Italy 0 1 3 4
Slovakia Slovakia 1 1 1 3
Czech Republic Czech Republic 1 0 2 3
Japan Japan 0 1 2 3

Written By: nondiva234 on 02/22/10 at 1:55 pm

We're in really good shape. We're doing just as well as we did in Turin, which I think is impressive. :D

Written By: Henk on 02/22/10 at 1:58 pm

Updated medal count:

Germany Germany 6 7 5 18
Norway Norway 5 3 4 12
Canada Canada 4 4 1 9
Korea Korea 4 4 1 9
Austria Austria 2 3 3 8
France France 2 2 4 8
Sweden Sweden 3 1 2 6
China China 3 1 1 5
Poland Poland 0 3 1 4
Italy Italy 0 1 3 4
Japan Japan 0 1 2 3

Yes, we won a third gold last night! :D Another surprise, this time by Ireen Wüst at the women's 1500m speed skating.
Did you get to see that, or the medal ceremony? Very emotional!

Silly me... of course you didn't. You were probably crying your eyes out over Team Canada.

Written By: Henk on 02/22/10 at 2:01 pm

We're still on course for the 10 medals I predicted, tho' it's not gonna be easy.

Written By: Henk on 02/22/10 at 2:10 pm

Silly me... of course you didn't. You were probably crying your eyes out over Team Canada.

I see not all is lost. All you have to do is beat Germany.

Written By: Henk on 02/22/10 at 2:24 pm

It should be noted that Simon Ammann, the Swiss who won gold on both ski jumping events, did exactly the same thing 8 years ago.
This amazing performance makes him a ski jumping legend, since no man before him won 4 gold medals. He is also the most decorated Swiss athlete ever (at the Olympics).

Written By: Henk on 02/22/10 at 3:33 pm

And yet another bit of trivia...

Overall, The Netherlands have won 99 medals so far at the Winter Olympics. Who's gonna win #100...? ::)

In spite of being present since 1928 (with exception of 1932) it wasn't until 1952 before we won our first medal (Cees Broekman), and it took us until 1964 to win our first gold medal (Sjoukje Dijkstra).
Probably our most disappointing performance at the Winter Olympics was in 1984, when we went home empty handed.

Written By: Frank on 02/22/10 at 4:21 pm

Yes, we won a third gold last night! :D Another surprise, this time by Ireen Wüst at the women's 1500m speed skating.
Did you get to see that, or the medal ceremony? Very emotional!

I saw the race and the ceremony. She was fabulous.

I see not all is lost. All you have to do is beat Germany.

And if we do, then Russia, then (possibly) Sweden, and then (possibly) U.S.A. again.
Canada has yet to find it's identity. We did outplay the US , but not on the scoreboard when it counts. With all due respect to the USA, we should beat these guys 5-1, easy. There is only 1 or 2 guys on the US team that would even make the Canadian team. (ask anyone on the US team that, and even they'd agree. )

But, having said that, the game is not played on paper, but on the ice.  Canada needs more passion for 60 minutes, needs to play more desperate hockey.

Written By: Henk on 02/22/10 at 4:43 pm

I saw the race and the ceremony. She was fabulous.

Sadly, I missed the race. Only saw the highlights this morning, and some images of the medal ceremony. Ireen Wüst deserved to win (but then of course I'm biased).

And if we do, then Russia, then (possibly) Sweden, and then (possibly) U.S.A. again.
Canada has yet to find it's identity. We did outplay the US , but not on the scoreboard when it counts. With all due respect to the USA, we should beat these guys 5-1, easy. There is only 1 or 2 guys on the US team that would even make the Canadian team. (ask anyone on the US team that, and even they'd agree. )

But, having said that, the game is not played on paper, but on the ice.  Canada needs more passion for 60 minutes, needs to play more desperate hockey.

Still a long way to go. I hope you can make it.

Written By: Frank on 02/22/10 at 4:47 pm

Sadly, I missed the race. Only saw the highlights this morning, and some images of the medal ceremony. Ireen Wüst deserved to win (but then of course I'm biased).

Still a long way to go. I hope you can make it.

Ireen had a great last lap, which separated her from the rest. So was so strong at the end of the race.

Would be nice to see my home country win, but if they aren't the best, they don't deserve to win. Nevertheless, I shall watch all the games whether Canada participates or not.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/23/10 at 7:44 am

Congrats to Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir & Team Canada on the gold in ice dancing.

Cat

Written By: Frank on 02/23/10 at 10:23 am

Congrats to Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir & Team Canada on the gold in ice dancing.

Cat

They were quite good. The Americans were really good as well.

Written By: Henk on 02/23/10 at 2:26 pm

History in the making... Muhammad Abbas will be the first Pakistani athlete ever to participate at the Winter Olympics.
He'll be starting in today's men's Giant Slalom (alpine skiing). It is highly unlikely he will finish, though: he's had only 8 weeks of practice in the past two years...  :o

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/23/10 at 3:15 pm

They were quite good. The Americans were really good as well.

Yeah, they were-all of them were. I also loved the fact that they were all hugging each other afterwords-showing TRUE sportsmanship which is what the Olympics is supposed to be about.

And then you have an idiot like this one:

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancouver/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/In-Plushenko-s-mind-and-website-he-s-the-plat?urn=oly,221408

I am so glad he didn't win the gold. I think EVERYONE (but him) is glad he didn't win it. I just wish he didn't win any medal but oh well.

Cat

Written By: Henk on 02/23/10 at 3:55 pm

Oh my...! What a deception for Sven Kramer (and Holland). He was the fastest by far, but he changed lanes incorrectly and got disqualified as a result. :\'(

Now it's Seung-Hoon Lee (KOR) Gold, Ivan Skobrev (RUS) Silver and Bob de Jong (NED) Bronze.

Written By: Henk on 02/23/10 at 4:09 pm

Oh my...! What a deception for Sven Kramer (and Holland). He was the fastest by far, but he changed lanes incorrectly and got disqualified as a result. :\'(

Apparently his coach gave him wrong directions. Directed him into the inner lane where he should've switched to the outer lane. Needless to say both Kramer and his coach are not exactly happy bunnies right now. That's gonna take some time to heal.

Written By: Henk on 02/23/10 at 4:10 pm

But you know... in the end it's just sport. It's not a life or death thing. And this just shows Kramer is only human too, after all.

BTW: I noticed his mistake the second he made it, and his coach realized pretty soon after. But what's a coach to do but keep coaching?

Written By: Frank on 02/23/10 at 5:08 pm

Apparently his coach gave him wrong directions. Directed him into the inner lane where he should've switched to the outer lane. Needless to say both Kramer and his coach are not exactly happy bunnies right now. That's gonna take some time to heal.

I saw that. Apparently there might be an investigation about his coach ( that is what they are saying here)
Sad because he would have won by so much.

Written By: Frank on 02/23/10 at 5:26 pm

Went down to Robson street again today. Scalpers were trying to sell me tickets for Canada /Germany hockey today, even at a discounted price, and sell me tickets to Canada/Russia ( next game) for $1500, each ticket.
I laughed. But some guy close by walks up and shows this guy a roll of money (US dollars too) and wanted to buy the tickets at $1000 each...they were still negotiating when I left.  ::)

There was (I am told) a 6 hour wait to ride the zip line
(This isn't my photo, but this is where I was, Robson square, where all the crowds are , and the crowds are much greater at night)
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2736/4374752826_9d018624f7.jpg

Also, went down to Casa Italia (Italy house) and got a free Italian lanyard!
some Italian Olympic T-shirts are selling at about $75 each

Written By: loki 13 on 02/23/10 at 6:33 pm

Is there any thing being televised other than that absurd, asinine, daft, empty, fatuous, flat, foolish, frivolous, futile, harebrained,
idiotic, illogical, imbecilic, innocuous, insipid, jejune, laughable, meaningless, mindless, pointless, puerile, ridiculous, sappy, senseless,
silly, stupid, trifling, unintelligent, vacant, vacuous, vain, vapid, weak, wishy-washy, worthless game of curling. Every time I turn on
the Olympics that's the only thing on. I think I missed part of the first period of every hockey game because curling was on. uugghhh!

Written By: Tam on 02/23/10 at 8:17 pm

Is there any thing being televised other than that absurd, asinine, daft, empty, fatuous, flat, foolish, frivolous, futile, harebrained,
idiotic, illogical, imbecilic, innocuous, insipid, jejune, laughable, meaningless, mindless, pointless, puerile, ridiculous, sappy, senseless,
silly, stupid, trifling, unintelligent, vacant, vacuous, vain, vapid, weak, wishy-washy, worthless game of curling. Every time I turn on
the Olympics that's the only thing on. I think I missed part of the first period of every hockey game because curling was on. uugghhh!

Them are fighting words! ;D

Actually, I switch between channels here. I have 3 showing different things - one is a Canadian Channel with is absolutely awesome of course! 8)

Written By: loki 13 on 02/23/10 at 8:42 pm

Them are fighting words! ;D

Actually, I switch between channels here. I have 3 showing different things - one is a Canadian Channel with is absolutely awesome of course! 8)

I'm sure curling is a great game to play but to sit there and watch it...... :P

We have Olympic coverage on 4 channels; NBC, MSNBC, CNBC and USA. USA only shows the early hockey game, the other hockey
games are on MSNBC or CNBC which are the channels that show curling. NBC shows mostly figure skating, other than hockey I like
the skiing venues but unless an American has a shot at a medal they rarely show it. It's like a 24 hour curling coverage, I reiterate....uugghh!

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/23/10 at 8:47 pm

Yeah, they were-all of them were. I also loved the fact that they were all hugging each other afterwords-showing TRUE sportsmanship which is what the Olympics is supposed to be about.

And then you have an idiot like this one:

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancouver/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/In-Plushenko-s-mind-and-website-he-s-the-plat?urn=oly,221408

I am so glad he didn't win the gold. I think EVERYONE (but him) is glad he didn't win it. I just wish he didn't win any medal but oh well.

Cat

Before the performance they did a video bio which made it very clear that this guy thinks his poop doesn't smell.  I have never heard an athlete with such a big head, or so arrogant.  I also noticed that after he didn't make the gold, he just walked off in a huff.  What an a-hole.

Written By: gibbo on 02/23/10 at 9:08 pm

Updated medal count:

Germany Germany 6 7 5 18
Norway Norway 5 3 4 12
Canada Canada 4 4 1 9
Korea Korea 4 4 1 9
Austria Austria 2 3 3 8
France France 2 2 4 8
Sweden Sweden 3 1 2 6
China China 3 1 1 5
Poland Poland 0 3 1 4
Italy Italy 0 1 3 4
Japan Japan 0 1 2 3

Australia even has 1 Gold and 1 Silver....but the medal table shows total medals only... :-\\

Written By: Tam on 02/23/10 at 10:41 pm

Australia even has 1 Gold and 1 Silver....but the medal table shows total medals only... :-\\

Here you go gibbo!!! ;)

1 UNITED STATES 7 9 10 26
2 GERMANY          7 9 7 23
3 NORWAY            6 5 6 17
4 RUSSIAN FED.      3 4 6 13
5 CANADA            6 4 1 11
6 KOREA              5 4 1 10
6 AUSTRIA            4 3 3 10
6 FRANCE              2 3 5 10
9 SWITZERLAND    6 0 2 8
10 SWEDEN            3 2 2 7
11 NETHERLANDS    3 1 2 6
12 CHINA                3 1 1 5
13 POLAND            0 3 1 4
13 ITALY                0 1 3 4
15 SLOVAKIA          1 1 1 3
15 CZECH REPUBLIC 1 0 2 3
15 JAPAN              0 1 2 3
18 AUSTRALIA        1 1 0 2
18 LATVIA              0 2 0 2
18 BELARUS            0 1 1 2
18 CROATIA            0 1 1 2
18 SLOVENIA          0 1 1 2
23 GREAT BRITAIN  1 0 0 1
23 ESTONIA            0 1 0 1
23 FINLAND            0 1 0 1
23 KAZAKHSTAN    0 1 0 1

Written By: nally on 02/23/10 at 10:50 pm

^Exxcellent. So the US and Germany are tied for most Golds.

Written By: Tam on 02/23/10 at 11:02 pm

^Exxcellent. So the US and Germany are tied for most Golds.

According to www.vancouver2010.com they are! 8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/24/10 at 7:21 am

But you know... in the end it's just sport. It's not a life or death thing. And this just shows Kramer is only human too, after all.

BTW: I noticed his mistake the second he made it, and his coach realized pretty soon after. But what's a coach to do but keep coaching?

I feel bad for Kramer & for Holland. He really should have gotten the gold. One announcer said that Holland has a witness protection program and the coach may have to enter it after the games.

I'm sure curling is a great game to play but to sit there and watch it...... :P

We have Olympic coverage on 4 channels; NBC, MSNBC, CNBC and USA. USA only shows the early hockey game, the other hockey
games are on MSNBC or CNBC which are the channels that show curling. NBC shows mostly figure skating, other than hockey I like
the skiing venues but unless an American has a shot at a medal they rarely show it. It's like a 24 hour curling coverage, I reiterate....uugghh!

Unfortunately, here we only have it one channel (NBC out of the Virgin Islands). And we are an hour ahead of EST so it goes on until the wee hours of the night. I really hate that because they always show what I want to see (usually the skating) late, late at night. When we get home, we will have it on all the stations you mentioned and at a half way decent time. 

Cat

Written By: Frank on 02/24/10 at 10:20 am

Today's a big day in Men's Hockey.

Written By: Tam on 02/24/10 at 12:25 pm

It is for sure!
I watched the 2 games last night, actually started out cheering real hard for Canada, but then as the second period progressed, I kind of lost interest. I felt bad for the Germans. It was just a dominant Canadian game. The boys should be in good spirits for tonight and on top of their game! 8)

Written By: Henk on 02/24/10 at 1:02 pm

Only for some. :P

Written By: Henk on 02/24/10 at 1:05 pm

I feel bad for Kramer & for Holland. He really should have gotten the gold. One announcer said that Holland has a witness protection program and the coach may have to enter it after the games.

Cat

I don't think that will be necessary. We're not the kind of people to organise a lynch mob. Quite the contrary: I think we all feel sorry for Gerard Kemkers.

Written By: nondiva234 on 02/24/10 at 9:48 pm

Went down to Robson street again today. Scalpers were trying to sell me tickets for Canada /Germany hockey today, even at a discounted price, and sell me tickets to Canada/Russia ( next game) for $1500, each ticket.
I laughed. But some guy close by walks up and shows this guy a roll of money (US dollars too) and wanted to buy the tickets at $1000 each...they were still negotiating when I left.   ::)

(This isn't my photo, but this is where I was, Robson square, where all the crowds are , and the crowds are much greater at night)

Really? Where is Casa Italia? The Bay sells Team Italy clothing, but the prices are ridiculous! $118 for a measly toque? No way am I buying that! (And to translate my Canadian, that's €79/£72/$125AUD for a beanie/stocking hat)

Written By: nondiva234 on 02/24/10 at 9:52 pm

Now, back to my home and native land. We won an unprecedented FOUR MEDALS today! Clara Hughes won bronze in speed skating (congrats to her), two Canadian women's bobsled teams placed in first and second place respectively (woot woot!), and the ladies 3000m short track speed skating team won a silver medal, after the South Korean team originally slated to win gold got disqualified for what I believe was cutting into the other lane; not sure what exactly.

And on a much better note:

WE BEAT THE RUSSIANS 7-3! WOOT WOOT!

Now, I must end this post in the most Canadian way as possible: Sorry for being a little too enthusiastic about my country.  ;D

Written By: nondiva234 on 02/24/10 at 9:58 pm

Oh, and Jamie, have you gotten a hold of your brother by any chance? If so, you know what to do! :D

Written By: nally on 02/24/10 at 10:36 pm

I watched the ladies' figure skating last night (even if it meant staying up late) and will probably watch a few of the events tonight.

Written By: Tam on 02/24/10 at 11:35 pm

I laughed. But some guy close by walks up and shows this guy a roll of money (US dollars too) and wanted to buy the tickets at $1000 each...they were still negotiating when I left.   ::)

Frank - I can't believe that I missed your post!
Good for you for going down again! I can only imagine what that guy ended up paying for those hockey tickets! :o
Glad you got some free stuff as well! Free is always NICE! 8)

Written By: nondiva234 on 02/24/10 at 11:45 pm

I love free things as well! I got around 13 pins for a total cost of just $12, lol!

Written By: Frank on 02/25/10 at 10:02 am

Really? Where is Casa Italia? The Bay sells Team Italy clothing, but the prices are ridiculous! $118 for a measly toque? No way am I buying that! (And to translate my Canadian, that's €79/£72/$125AUD for a beanie/stocking hat)

Casa Italia? It's near Yaletown Skytrain, in Roundhouse community centre (very close to livecity Yaletown )
Swiss house in on Granville Island, it's nice too.

Check here: http://www.citycaucus.com/2010free#5368 
for all free stuff events

Written By: Frank on 02/25/10 at 10:06 am

Frank - I can't believe that I missed your post!
Good for you for going down again! I can only imagine what that guy ended up paying for those hockey tickets! :o
Glad you got some free stuff as well! Free is always NICE! 8)

Free = nice
The price for tickets are INSANE! My friend got to go to a game and he met Joe Sakic.

I love free things as well! I got around 13 pins for a total cost of just $12, lol!

I saw lots of pin vendors near Canada Place and Robson square. I think you got a good deal!

Written By: Tam on 02/25/10 at 3:38 pm

Free = nice
The price for tickets are INSANE! My friend got to go to a game and he met Joe Sakic.

WOW! That is awesome!

Written By: Frank on 02/25/10 at 4:03 pm

WOW! That is awesome!

Yes, I'm jealous! He even got a photo of him with (my friends wife and kids)

Written By: Frank on 02/25/10 at 4:57 pm

Hard io imagine all this will be over in about 72 hours.

Written By: nondiva234 on 02/25/10 at 6:38 pm

Hard io imagine all this will be over in about 72 hours.

I know, eh? But fear not, we still have the Paralympics, which I'm sure will be just as exciting! :D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/25/10 at 7:28 pm

Oh, and Jamie, have you gotten a hold of your brother by any chance? If so, you know what to do! :D

Actually, i did get a phone from him, and he is kind of a bit busy, going from place, and even to event.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/25/10 at 7:36 pm

YES!  CANADA WON GOLD FOR WOMEN'S HOCKEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Written By: loki 13 on 02/25/10 at 8:15 pm

YES!   CANADA WON GOLD FOR WOMEN'S HOCKEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!  :P

They deserve it, they played a solid game. The U.S. women just didn't take advantage of opportunities given them.
A 5 on 3 twice, not only did the U.S. not score but only managed one weak shot, that is simply unacceptable. Oh well,
at least it was an enjoyable game to watch unlike the other games these two teams played.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/25/10 at 9:21 pm

TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!  :P

They deserve it, they played a solid game. The U.S. women just didn't take advantage of opportunities given them.
A 5 on 3 twice, not only did the U.S. not score but only managed one weak shot, that is simply unacceptable. Oh well,
at least it was an enjoyable game to watch unlike the other games these two teams played.

Coingrads goes to the US, for a great game, though.

Written By: nondiva234 on 02/25/10 at 10:00 pm

Actually, i did get a phone from him, and he is kind of a bit busy, going from place, and even to event.

That's good to know, Jamie. I'm checking his placements, and it seems like he placed 44th. But you should know that there is a lot of positive support heading his way; the whole country is really proud of him. :D I just realized that he was in Whistler, lol, so I doubt he'll be coming down to the Olympic Store to say hi. But he'll be in town for Sunday, I'm guessing?  8)

And as for women's hockey: WOOT WOOT CANADA! Let's do the same with the men! C'mon guys, beat Slovakia!

Written By: Frank on 02/26/10 at 12:21 am

Good close game, could have gone either way. Yanks had won the last 2 World championships, so these teams are pretty even. Too bad the rest of the teams are a thousand miles away.

Written By: nally on 02/26/10 at 12:23 am

They deserve it, they played a solid game.

Yep, I think so too. They played well. I saw the game while I was eating at a restaurant earlier with my family. I could see the TV in the bar from where I was seated.

Written By: nally on 02/26/10 at 12:24 am

Yanks had won the last 2 World championships

huh?? ??? did I miss something?

Written By: Frank on 02/26/10 at 12:40 am

huh?? ??? did I miss something?

When Canadians refer to "yanks" in general, they mean "Americans". The American woman's hockey team has won the last 2 world championships.

Written By: nally on 02/26/10 at 12:41 am

When Canadians refer to "yanks" in general, they mean "Americans". The American woman's hockey team has won the last 2 world championships.

Ah, thanks for clarifying. :) Yes, the Americans had won the said Championships last time.

Written By: Frank on 02/26/10 at 1:18 am

That Korean girl Yu na Kim was so good in the final of Women's figure skating. Flawless.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/26/10 at 10:30 am

YES!   CANADA WON GOLD FOR WOMEN'S HOCKEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go girls!!!

I can't believe all the controversy about their celebrations after winning the gold.  Apparently the IOC has their panties in a wad because the players were drinking beer and smoking cigars on the ice after they won gold.  This was AFTER all the spectators left the stadium mind you.  What in hell is wrong with them celebrating???  They are hockey players for hell's sake!  Of course they are going to drink beer in celebration.  They just won a gold medal!  They deserve all the celebration they want!!!

Written By: Frank on 02/26/10 at 10:41 am

Go girls!!!

I can't believe all the controversy about their celebrations after winning the gold.  Apparently the IOC has their panties in a wad because the players were drinking beer and smoking cigars on the ice after they won gold.  This was AFTER all the spectators left the stadium mind you.  What in hell is wrong with them celebrating???  They are hockey players for hell's sake!  Of course they are going to drink beer in celebration.  They just won a gold medal!  They deserve all the celebration they want!!!

One of the problems is that the girl who scored the 2 goals yesterday is 18 ( Marie-Philip Poulin) Poulin doesn't turn 19 – the legal drinking age in British Columbia – until next month, That's causing a stir here more than anything else. Hope this incident does not get her in trouble.

http://www.nationalpost.com/2616838.bin

Written By: nondiva234 on 02/26/10 at 12:19 pm

Go girls!!!

Ditto with what Frank said. If they were in Alberta, where the legal drinking age is 18, it wouldn't be a big problem. But you know the IOC, they are extremely up tight and anal about anything and everything, lol. To add, there was a bit of a double standard, as Jon Montgomery chugged down a pitcher of beer shortly after he won gold in men's skeleton.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/26/10 at 12:23 pm

One of the problems is that the girl who scored the 2 goals yesterday is 18 ( Marie-Philip Poulin) Poulin doesn't turn 19 – the legal drinking age in British Columbia – until next month, That's causing a stir here more than anything else. Hope this incident does not get her in trouble.

Ditto with what Frank said. If they were in Alberta, where the legal drinking age is 18, it wouldn't be a big problem. But you know the IOC, they are extremely up tight and anal about anything and everything, lol. To add, there was a bit of a double standard, as Jon Montgomery chugged down a pitcher of beer shortly after he won gold in men's skeleton.

True true, but come on!  She scored two goals to win a gold medal in the Olympics!  Pour that girl a beer!  I know I was drinking long before I was 18 and I bet half the members of the IOC were too.  They just need to let it go and let the girls enjoy their victory.  

Written By: Henk on 02/26/10 at 3:46 pm

Nicolien Sauerbreij has made it to the final of the snowboard slalom!! :D

Whatever she does next, doens't really matter (although we're hoping for gold).

Written By: Henk on 02/26/10 at 3:46 pm

And off they go for run 1...

Written By: Henk on 02/26/10 at 3:48 pm

Iljoekina wins the first run with a margin of 2/100th of a second.

Written By: Henk on 02/26/10 at 4:00 pm

Nicolien Sauerbreij has made it to the final of the snowboard slalom!! :D

Whatever she does next, doens't really matter (although we're hoping for gold).

I say this because we have never ever won any medal at all on any of the alpine events (alpine skiing, cross country skiing, biathlon, nordic combined, ski jumping... you name it).

Written By: Henk on 02/26/10 at 4:07 pm

GOLD GOLD GOLD!!!!!!

Written By: Henk on 02/26/10 at 4:08 pm

WOOOT!!!

YEAH BABY!!!

Can you tell I'm excited? :D

Written By: Henk on 02/26/10 at 4:19 pm

On another note: a somewhat disappointing appearance by the Dutch women's pursuit team. They lost their quarter final against Germany.

Written By: Henk on 02/26/10 at 4:23 pm

Team USA beats Team Netherlands in the semi-final of the men's team pursuit. Dangit.

Written By: Henk on 02/26/10 at 4:25 pm

Team USA beats Team Netherlands in the semi-final of the men's team pursuit. Dangit.

Now we'll be facing Norway tomorrow for a consolation medal (bronze). But I bet you we won't even make that.

Written By: gibbo on 02/26/10 at 4:33 pm

Will Netherlands now jump past Sweden in the medal tally?

Written By: Henk on 02/26/10 at 5:34 pm

GOLD GOLD GOLD!!!!!!

This is the 100th Olympic gold medal for The Netherlands. Mark this day in history.

Written By: Henk on 02/26/10 at 5:34 pm

Oh, I don't know. Don't really care either.

Written By: Henk on 02/26/10 at 5:38 pm

Now we'll be facing Norway tomorrow for a consolation medal (bronze). But I bet you we won't even make that.

Our last chance of winning any medal at this Olympics.

We might've had a small chance on a medal at the 4-men's bobsleigh, but the helmsman (not sure if that's the correct term) chickened out.  ::) In his defence: he was also part of the 2-men's bobsleigh team that finished 14th, and nearly crashed twice.

Written By: loki 13 on 02/26/10 at 6:05 pm

I am disappointed in Team Canada Womens Hockey Team. I heard on the news today that they issued an apology
for their on ice celebration with champagne, beer and cigars. What the hell do they have to apologize for, if anyone
should apologize it's the IOC for the way it was handled. These girls just won what could be the biggest game of
their lives, and as Ash has stated, " They just need to let it go and let the girls enjoy their victory." I could see if they
were out on the town and creating havoc in bars but they weren't. 18 or not scoring 2 goals to win the gold for your
Country deserves a beer or two. Even though I wanted the U.S. to win, " Way to go girls and don't be sorry for anything."

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/27/10 at 3:25 am

I am disappointed in Team Canada Womens Hockey Team. I heard on the news today that they issued an apology
for their on ice celebration with champagne, beer and cigars. What the hell do they have to apologize for, if anyone
should apologize it's the IOC for the way it was handled. These girls just won what could be the biggest game of
their lives, and as Ash has stated, " They just need to let it go and let the girls enjoy their victory." I could see if they
were out on the town and creating havoc in bars but they weren't. 18 or not scoring 2 goals to win the gold for your
Country deserves a beer or two. Even though I wanted the U.S. to win, " Way to go girls and don't be sorry for anything."
Champange is usually serve with ice ?

Written By: Henk on 02/27/10 at 7:44 am

Apparently we didn't, and we won't be able to do so anymore too. This might also have to do with the fact that Sweden beat Canada in the women's curling final.

Still, we're doing better than Russia... :o

Written By: danootaandme on 02/27/10 at 7:45 am

should apologize it's the IOC for the way it was handled.
These girls just won what could be the biggest game of

Ditto!!

Written By: danootaandme on 02/27/10 at 7:49 am

FOLLOW MR APOLO

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2010-02/52198410.jpg

Written By: Henk on 02/27/10 at 7:56 am

We might've had a small chance on a medal at the 4-men's bobsleigh, but the helmsman (not sure if that's the correct term) chickened out.  ::) In his defence: he was also part of the 2-men's bobsleigh team that finished 14th, and nearly crashed twice.

About that: it's especially hard on Timothy Beck. He was a fine track athlete (member of the 4x100m relay team that took bronze in the World Championship in 2003) and the fastest runner on the team. It's mainly because of him that the Dutch team always has an excellent start.
He was also present at the 2002 Olympics, but decided to give up on bobsleighing afterwards. Later on, he was talked into a comeback, and was even given the honour of carrying the flag at the opening ceremony of the Vancouver Olympics. Little did he know that that was to be his only appearance in the limelight... :(

Written By: Henk on 02/27/10 at 7:59 am

FOLLOW MR APOLO

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2010-02/52198410.jpg

Didin't he get disqualified or something...? ::)

Written By: danootaandme on 02/27/10 at 9:02 am

No, he won a record of eight medals

Written By: Henk on 02/27/10 at 10:13 am

No, he won a record of eight medals

But he also got disqualified in the 500m final. Read the article.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/27/10 at 10:32 am

I watched it last night and he did get disqualified. From what I could see, he just touched the other guy (from Canada)-it didn't look like he pushed him or anything-just touched him but the other guy fell and that was it. If the other guy didn't fall, he would have been fine.

Cat

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/27/10 at 3:17 pm

That's good to know, Jamie. I'm checking his placements, and it seems like he placed 44th. But you should know that there is a lot of positive support heading his way; the whole country is really proud of him. :D I just realized that he was in Whistler, lol, so I doubt he'll be coming down to the Olympic Store to say hi. But he'll be in town for Sunday, I'm guessing?  8)

And as for women's hockey: WOOT WOOT CANADA! Let's do the same with the men! C'mon guys, beat Slovakia!

Yes, he is in Whistler, at the moment.

Written By: Frank on 02/27/10 at 3:21 pm

I got to meet the Mayor of Vancouver (Gregor Robertson)  on public transit about 90 minutes ago. He was going to the Oval in Richmond and he said he's been busy in the last 2 weeks and will be at the closing ceremonies tomorrow.

One of his assistants gave me a free Olympic pin!

Also tried to visit the Athletes village today. Security. dang...couldn't get in  :(
Should have faked an accent.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/27/10 at 3:29 pm

Yes, he is in Whistler, at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3Q2L1Tt1Hk

Cat

Written By: Frank on 02/27/10 at 3:38 pm

Big game tomorrow, Canada Vs USA in Men's hockey.
My take on this. USA has all the momentum. It's Miller time! Ryan Miller is hot. However, Canada has more talent then the USA but they have been inconsistent and were lucky to not go in OT yesterday, but talent doesn't win and this game is not played on paper. No Canadian Goalie has played fairly well. Don't know why.

I don't expect Ryan Miller to be outplayed tomorrow by Luongo.
My pick: USA will win unless Canada finds a higher gear. MVP: Ryan Miller.

Written By: danootaandme on 02/27/10 at 5:26 pm

But he also got disqualified in the 500m final. Read the article.

There was an issue in that one race.  But he still walked out with 2 gold, 2 sliver, and 4 bronze, and everyone agrees that he is the best that ever put on skates.

Written By: Frank on 02/27/10 at 5:36 pm

There was an issue in that one race.  But he still walked out with 2 gold, 2 sliver, and 4 bronze, and everyone agrees that he is the best that ever put on skates.

Yah, he's pretty good, endured several Olympics, has done really well. But I have some Korean friends that absolutely hate the guy because of (what they think) happened in 2002, thinking he should have been disqualified. It's just that type of sport.

Written By: danootaandme on 02/27/10 at 9:08 pm

Yah, he's pretty good, endured several Olympics, has done really well. But I have some Korean friends that absolutely hate the guy because of (what they think) happened in 2002, thinking he should have been disqualified. It's just that type of sport.

They can think what they want, he has proved himself the better skater over and over. 

Written By: gibbo on 02/27/10 at 10:15 pm

The only person I am disappointed with it the idiot who thought he could make a 'big deal' out of filming that private team moment.  The team waited for until the crowd had gone before they 'celebrated' on the rink. But, of course, ther just had to be a camera somewhere filming away.....it really annoys me!!!  This team had worked extremely hard for the past four years to achieve the ultimate goal and someone had to take some of that shine off them.... :-\\

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/27/10 at 11:06 pm

It's been swell, hosting the Olympics, hope that everyone had fun! 

Written By: Henk on 02/28/10 at 1:06 am

My take on this. USA has all the momentum. It's Miller time! Ryan Miller is hot. However, Canada has more talent then the USA but they have been inconsistent and were lucky to not go in OT yesterday, but talent doesn't win and this game is not played on paper. No Canadian Goalie has played fairly well. Don't know why.

I don't think you'll make the same mistake twice. ;) Gold for Canada.

Written By: Tam on 02/28/10 at 11:32 am

I don't think you'll make the same mistake twice. ;) Gold for Canada.

I have to agree with you Henk!
Our boys are gonna bring it home!!! 8)

Written By: ninny on 02/28/10 at 11:52 am

Nice of you to give props to my guy, Miller is the best (plus he's the Sabres goalie  :))
It's going to be a be a great game.

Written By: nally on 02/28/10 at 1:47 pm

That Korean girl Yu na Kim was so good in the final of Women's figure skating. Flawless.

Oh yeah. I loved seeing her performance. O0

Written By: nally on 02/28/10 at 1:52 pm

Last night I watched two Americans, Ted Liggety and Bode Miller, flub in the Giant Slalom. But the most enjoyable portion of last night's broadcast (at least imo) was seeing the U.S. Men's 4-man Bobsled team win the Gold, breaking a 62-year drought for men's bobsled.

Written By: Henk on 02/28/10 at 3:40 pm

I have to agree with you Henk!
Our boys are gonna bring it home!!! 8)

So far things are looking good. End of second, and it's 2 to 1 for Canada.

Written By: loki 13 on 02/28/10 at 3:45 pm

So far things are looking good. End of second, and it's 2 to 1 for Canada.

Depends on from which side you're looking!

Written By: nally on 02/28/10 at 3:47 pm

Depends on from which side you're looking!

Yeah... the US is really gonna need to get a move on in the final period of regulation! :o I know that Canada took an early 2-zip lead.

Written By: Henk on 02/28/10 at 4:12 pm

Only 8 minutes left in the 3rd period.

Written By: Henk on 02/28/10 at 4:16 pm

Well, you were right about at least one thing.

Written By: Henk on 02/28/10 at 4:28 pm

24.4 seconds left and it's 2 all.

Written By: Henk on 02/28/10 at 4:29 pm

Heading for overtime...

Written By: Henk on 02/28/10 at 4:30 pm

So close, and yet so far away...

Written By: Henk on 02/28/10 at 4:34 pm

Judging by what I've seen of the game, I'm guessing USA will bag this one in overtime.

Written By: Henk on 02/28/10 at 4:54 pm

Judging by what I've seen of the game, I'm guessing USA will bag this one in overtime.

Well, I guessed wrong. It's Canada after all.

Written By: Little_devil_rider on 02/28/10 at 5:03 pm

I'm very PROUD of the U.S.A, A team that was said to not make it to a medal, got 2nd. we beat that team once, and THE "best team" of the Olympics had to go to O.T to win. And I'm sorry but the refs let them get away with so much. The only thing that sucks about that game. Is that cry baby Crosby had to get the gwg. GO USA

Written By: nondiva234 on 02/28/10 at 5:04 pm

CANADA WON! CANADA WON! CANADA WON!

Sorry guys, but hockey's Canada's game, and the gold medal needed to be won by Canada here in Vancouver. And what an amazing way to end the Olympics! Huge props to Sidney Crosby for that amazing goal!

Written By: gibbo on 02/28/10 at 5:05 pm

Sorry guys, but hockey's Canada's game, and the gold medal needed to be won by Canada here in Vancouver. And what an amazing way to end the Olympics! Huge props to Sidney Crosby for that amazing goal!

Finally, the reason for these whole games has come and gone......a hockey win for Canada!  All is well with the world.... ;)

Written By: Little_devil_rider on 02/28/10 at 5:08 pm

by going to o.t to a team that they should of beat the first time.

Written By: loki 13 on 02/28/10 at 5:14 pm

Sorry to you too but Crosby is the reason I despise that team. Hockey may be Canada's game and I'll give them props for winning the gold
but they were not the best team in the tournament.

My congratulations goes to Team USA. No one, including me, thought they wouldn't even get to the medal round yet they were one shot away
from gold. Good show guys you did us proud!!!!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/28/10 at 5:48 pm

Now that was a game!  Yes!  Woooooo Hoooooo!

8)

Written By: nally on 02/28/10 at 5:54 pm

I was glad to see the U.S. tie it up with 24 seconds to go in regulation...and I wanted to see them pull it out in OT....but I'm happy for the Canada team. Congratz to both.

Written By: whistledog on 02/28/10 at 7:44 pm

The one part of the Olympics I loved best was when CTV host Brian Williams met NBC host Brian Williams :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TwtRIffeVU

Written By: limblifter on 02/28/10 at 7:58 pm

Sorry to you too but Crosby is the reason I despise that team. Hockey may be Canada's game and I'll give them props for winning the gold
but they were not the best team in the tournament.

If they were not the best team in the tourny, how did they win gold?

Written By: loki 13 on 02/28/10 at 8:11 pm

If they were not the best team in the tourny, how did they win gold?

Easy, the best team doesn't always win.

On paper Canada was the best team but the games aren't played on paper. Canada needed a shoutout to beat the Swiss,
lost to the U.S. and came within a missed open net in needing overtime with Slovakia. The only solid game the Canadians
played was against Russia. They were good enough to win the games needed but not playing the best on the ice.

Written By: limblifter on 02/28/10 at 8:59 pm

Easy, the best team doesn't always win.

On paper Canada was the best team but the games aren't played on paper. Canada needed a shoutout to beat the Swiss,
lost to the U.S. and came within a missed open net in needing overtime with Slovakia. The only solid game the Canadians
played was against Russia. They were good enough to win the games needed but not playing the best on the ice.

Fair enough. What you fail to mention is that in the first game the Americans were thoroughly dominated, and without Miller would have been blown out. They also outplayed the Slovaks for 55 minutes and got caught playing a little too defensively. They destroyed the Russians, who were the heavy favourites going in.

And in the end, beat the Americans to win the gold. Sounds to me like a team that played the best in the tournament.

Written By: nondiva234 on 02/28/10 at 9:04 pm

Ah well, it's all done folks. The flame is out for good. Goodbye from my hometown (along with Frank's hometown) of Vancouver, and we'll see you all in 2012 in London! :)

Written By: Frank on 03/01/10 at 10:46 am

Canada wins gold in Hockey. All is well.

A wonderful games overall, USA breaks record for most medals ever, Canada breaks record for most gold's ever.
It was a fun 17 days. A huge party this city will never forget.
Favorite moment for me? The first gold medal.
Favorite sigh of relief? The last one.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/01/10 at 11:36 am

I'm really happy for Canada!  :D

Written By: nally on 03/01/10 at 11:38 am

Canada wins gold in Hockey. All is well.

A wonderful games overall, USA breaks record for most medals ever, Canada breaks record for most gold's ever.
It was a fun 17 days. A huge party this city will never forget.
Favorite moment for me? The first gold medal.
Favorite sigh of relief? The last one.

I'm really happy for Canada!  :D

Yeah... Canada did quite well overall. O0 8) :)

Written By: Paul on 03/01/10 at 1:32 pm

we'll see you all in 2012 in London! :)

Assuming London's not been 'bankrupted' beforehand!  ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/01/10 at 2:14 pm

...or the construction has been completed.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/01/10 at 3:06 pm

See you all in 2012!

Written By: gibbo on 03/01/10 at 3:12 pm

It's okay Philip... London's been bankrupt since WWII

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/01/10 at 3:14 pm

Loe Brian Williams' letter to Canada.

http://dailynightly.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2010/02/26/2213393.aspx

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/01/10 at 3:16 pm

By the way, Brian Williams is an awesome , dude.

Both of them.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/01/10 at 3:19 pm

Cool, Brian Williams meets Brian Williams!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TwtRIffeVU

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/01/10 at 3:47 pm

With all the rebuilding etc?

Written By: Frank on 03/01/10 at 4:21 pm

Yeah... Canada did quite well overall. O0 8) :)

For a country who has hosted 2 previous Olympics and never won a gold medal on their home turf (Montreal 1976, Calgary 1988) , to now lead every other country in gold medals ...is just mind blowing.

Written By: Paul on 03/01/10 at 4:36 pm

There's plenty of talk (not so much action, but plenty of talk!) about a 'legacy' being left for London afterwards...

...probably in the shape of a walloping great mountain of debt!  :P

(Apparently the 'ideal model' was the Atlanta and Sydney games, where both turned in a handsome profit...but these two events were meticulously planned and budgeted, quite unlike the London debacle!)

Written By: nondiva234 on 03/04/10 at 2:02 am

...or the construction has been completed.

Or provided the Maya are wrong, and it isn't the end of the world.  :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/04/10 at 2:34 am

The London 2012 Olympics are scheduled to run from 27 July to 12 August and the Mayan end of the world is 21 December long after the Olympics are finished.

Written By: gibbo on 03/04/10 at 3:22 pm

There's plenty of talk (not so much action, but plenty of talk!) about a 'legacy' being left for London afterwards...

...probably in the shape of a walloping great mountain of debt!  :P

(Apparently the 'ideal model' was the Atlanta and Sydney games, where both turned in a handsome profit...but these two events were meticulously planned and budgeted, quite unlike the London debacle!)

The London 2012 Olympics are scheduled to run from 27 July to 12 August and the Mayan end of the world is 21 December long after the Olympics are finished.

Even better.....London can spend whatever they want ...and they don't have to repay it if the world ends. I'm heading off to borrow $1,000,000,000 from my local bank right now. That should just about last me until the end of the world!  ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/04/10 at 4:10 pm

Even better.....London can spend whatever they want ...and they don't have to repay it if the world ends. I'm heading off to borrow $1,000,000,000 from my local bank right now. That should just about last me until the end of the world!  ;)
Perhaps paris shuld have had the 2012 Summer Olympics after all?

Written By: nally on 03/04/10 at 4:34 pm

For a country who has hosted 2 previous Olympics and never won a gold medal on their home turf (Montreal 1976, Calgary 1988) , to now lead every other country in gold medals ...is just mind blowing.

Oh yeah. They knew how to get it done.

Written By: gibbo on 03/04/10 at 4:36 pm

It was also Australia's best ever Winter Olympics ...with 3 gold medals. By rights, being a surfing country, we should only have a chance in the snowboarding events!

Written By: nondiva234 on 03/05/10 at 12:07 pm

It was also Australia's best ever Winter Olympics ...with 3 gold medals. By rights, being a surfing country, we should only have a chance in the snowboarding events!

Although one silver medal could technically be shared with us red and white crazy Canucks, that medal being Dale Begg-Smith...  :P But a lot of people aren't fond of him here (because he acts sketchy), so I guess you can claim him...  8)

Written By: karen on 03/12/10 at 7:52 pm

Perhaps paris shuld have had the 2012 Summer Olympics after all?

I said the day they were awarded we should have withdrawn our offer and let the French do it.  We just wanted to show them we could beat them at something!

Written By: Frank on 03/31/10 at 3:56 pm

Should have posted these earlier, but these were taken during the Olympics.
First, the flame.
Second, downtown on Robson street, with the crowds and the people on the zip line.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4050/4479410931_4fb6498b11.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2540/4479426387_f098f0770c.jpg

Written By: Tam on 03/31/10 at 8:58 pm

Those are beautiful pictures Frank! I am so glad you were able to take in some of the sights! 8)

Written By: Frank on 04/01/10 at 10:55 am

Those are beautiful pictures Frank! I am so glad you were able to take in some of the sights! 8)

I bet you would have liked to go on that zip line through the air(like in the pic above), usually was a 6 to 7 hour wait in line..

Written By: nondiva234 on 04/01/10 at 8:14 pm

Really nice photos, Frank! Did you get in line for the assets sale in Delta, by any chance? I did, and I waited for 2 and a half hours before I got a chance to snag a volunteer's backpack and some Torch Relay garb. My parents went in line the next day and managed to get lots of lamps, a new TV, a new computer monitor, a laminator, and a bunch of other stuff. Not bad, eh?

Written By: Frank on 04/01/10 at 10:24 pm

Really nice photos, Frank! Did you get in line for the assets sale in Delta, by any chance? I did, and I waited for 2 and a half hours before I got a chance to snag a volunteer's backpack and some Torch Relay garb. My parents went in line the next day and managed to get lots of lamps, a new TV, a new computer monitor, a laminator, and a bunch of other stuff. Not bad, eh?

Asset sale? I didn't even know there was one.
Glad you got some nice stuff.

Written By: Tam on 04/02/10 at 11:52 am

I bet you would have liked to go on that zip line through the air(like in the pic above), usually was a 6 to 7 hour wait in line..

Haha! And I am idiot enough that I probably would have waited to 6-7 hours in order to do it! ;)

Written By: nondiva234 on 04/03/10 at 2:15 am

Asset sale? I didn't even know there was one.
Glad you got some nice stuff.

It's still going on, you know. It'll end sometime in June. They're still selling all the big-demand items, and they're selling them in small quantities each day so that they won't sell out. About 40 of each every day. :)

Written By: nondiva234 on 04/05/10 at 1:59 am

And starting tomorrow, it will be the last day that the Richmond Olympic Oval acts as a skating rink; they're opening it to the public to skate on the rink one last time. They'll shut down the facility on Tuesday and convert it into a community/recreation centre, complete with a bunch of places to play respective sports. So bittersweet, isn't it? :(

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/08/10 at 5:31 pm

Weirdest Olympic story, yet!

;D

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/7187027/Polish-newspaper-claims-Pedobear-is-2010-Vancouver-Olympic-mascot.html

Check for new replies or respond here...