inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Almost kicked out of the Flyers game!

Written By: loki 13 on 12/06/09 at 4:40 pm

The Boy and I went to the Flyers game last night to watch them take on the Capitals. We were almost tossed
from the game because-----get this------The Boy stood up for a shorthanded, two on one. An usher told The Boy,
"You can't be standing like that, other people can't see. don't stand anymore, you hear." See, the true fan has
been taken out of the game. The woman on the end was dropping f-bombs everywhere, she was okay but God
forbid you should stand during play.

Other than the woman and her companion, no one around us really knew hockey. If they weren't at the game
they would never watch it. It's frustrating when you can't be a fan at the event.

Subject: Re: Almost kicked out of the Flyers game!

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/06/09 at 4:50 pm

Was it sold out?  How many other people actually paid enough attention to realize that there was a short-handed opportunity?

How stupid indeed.

Written By: Frank on 12/06/09 at 4:57 pm

The Boy and I went to the Flyers game last night to watch them take on the Capitals. We were almost tossed
from the game because-----get this------The Boy stood up for a shorthanded, two on one. An usher told The Boy,
"You can't be standing like that, other people can't see. don't stand anymore, you hear." See, the true fan has
been taken out of the game. The woman on the end was dropping f-bombs everywhere, she was okay but God
forbid you should stand during play.

Other than the woman and her companion, no one around us really knew hockey. If they weren't at the game
they would never watch it. It's frustrating when you can't be a fan at the event.

That's just dumb. An User actually said that? Yup,  the true fan has been taken out of the game.
When I used to go to games in MTL, we did a lot worse, no one ever complained. Now, I don't know anymore.

Written By: loki 13 on 12/06/09 at 5:30 pm

Was it sold out?  How many other people actually paid enough attention to realize that there was a short-handed opportunity?

How stupid indeed.

It wasn't sold out and I think the crappy weather kept some people away but it was still a good crowd
none the less. I knew we were kind of in for it when after the Flyers scored their first goal only a handful
of people stood up.

It's sad, when The Boy and I entered the building I told him, "We really don't fit in here."

That's just dumb. An User actually said that? Yup,  the true fan has been taken out of the game.
When I used to go to games in MTL, we did a lot worse, no one ever complained. Now, I don't know anymore.

I've always hated Montreal fans because they are so much like true Flyers fans.  ;D

I've been going to Flyers games since the Broad Street Bullies days, I'm not sure I want to go anymore.
I can't get in trouble yelling at my TV screen.

Written By: Frank on 12/06/09 at 5:43 pm

I've always hated Montreal fans because they are so much like true Flyers fans.  ;D

I've been going to Flyers games since the Broad Street Bullies days, I'm not sure I want to go anymore.
I can't get in trouble yelling at my TV screen.

the Broad Street Bullies days..ah yes..as a MTL fan, we always hated playing against the Flyers back then.
Saleski, Dupont, Kelly, Schultz...a feared team. Bobby Clarke, MacLeish, Barber...talented players there.
And Parent had a couple out outstanding years in nets.

My friend and I almost got in Trouble ( MTL fans at a game in Toronto). We were 2 against about 20 people, kept yelling at each other throughout the whole game. No other fans/usher ever told us to shut up.
Those were the days.

Written By: loki 13 on 12/06/09 at 6:00 pm

the Broad Street Bullies days..ah yes..as a MTL fan, we always hated playing against the Flyers back then.
Saleski, Dupont, Kelly, Schultz...a feared team. Bobby Clarke, MacLeish, Barber...talented players there.
And Parent had a couple out outstanding years in nets.

My friend and I almost got in Trouble ( MTL fans at a game in Toronto). We were 2 against about 20 people, kept yelling at each other throughout the whole game. No other fans/usher ever told us to shut up.
Those were the days.

I've always loved the Montreal/Philadelphia matchup, what other teams would have a bench clearing brawl
before the game even starts.  ;D

Tomorrow night, they play.

Written By: Frank on 12/06/09 at 6:07 pm

I've always loved the Montreal/Philadelphia matchup, what other teams would have a bench clearing brawl
before the game even starts.  ;D

Tomorrow night, they play.

That was late 80s I think, when MTl has those 2 sh*t disturbers Claude Lemieux and Corson, among others. Dave Brown must have been there for Philly, then of course Hextall running after Chelios for really hitting Propp hard and blood on the ice. The good old days.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/06/09 at 6:17 pm

You should check the arena by-laws and your ticket stub to see if there's a "no standing to celebrate awesomeness" rule.  I recall when I was at Duke, NOBODY sat during the basketball games at home.  At Wrigley, nobody tells you to sit down if you choose to stand up the whole game, at least not to me.  Then again, I'm in the nosebleeds where the sightlines are a tad different than in the mezzanines.

Written By: loki 13 on 12/06/09 at 6:35 pm

That was late 80s I think, when MTl has those 2 sh*t disturbers Claude Lemieux and Corson, among others. Dave Brown must have been there for Philly, then of course Hextall running after Chelios for really hitting Propp hard and blood on the ice. The good old days.

There were a few guys out there in flip-flops and no sweaters, hell, the refs weren't even on the ice.
It was the '86-'87 season, the year the Flyers lost to Edmonton. They played rough house with Montreal
then tried to skate with Edmonton. In those years no one skated with Edmonton.

You should check the arena by-laws and your ticket stub to see if there's a "no standing to celebrate awesomeness" rule.  I recall when I was at Duke, NOBODY sat during the basketball games at home.  At Wrigley, nobody tells you to sit down if you choose to stand up the whole game, at least not to me.  Then again, I'm in the nosebleeds where the sightlines are a tad different than in the mezzanines.

I don't think the people said anything, I think the usher was just being a d**k and overstepping his authority.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/06/09 at 6:40 pm

I don't think the people said anything, I think the usher was just being a d**k and overstepping his authority.

Complain next time, get his ass fired :D

Written By: Frank on 12/06/09 at 6:47 pm

In the 70s, we would have thrown peanuts at that usher. Come to think of it, we did that once...

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/06/09 at 6:50 pm

I used to heckle the opposing pitchers at Durham Bulls games :D

"BALK!  BALK!"  :D

Written By: Frank on 12/07/09 at 12:55 am

There were a few guys out there in flip-flops and no sweaters, hell, the refs weren't even on the ice.
It was the '86-'87 season, the year the Flyers lost to Edmonton. They played rough house with Montreal
then tried to skate with Edmonton. In those years no one skated with Edmonton.

Flyers took Edmonton to 7 games that year and scored the opening goal in game 7. They were only losing by 1 goal until the final few minutes when Glenn Anderson took a shot and scored from just inside the blue line to make it 3-1.  It was a good series.
I still have that game on tape somewhere.

Written By: loki 13 on 12/07/09 at 6:22 pm

I sent this email to the Wachovia center.

Saturday night, Dec.5, 2009, my son and I attended the Flyers/Capitals game. We sat in section 202 row 1 and
what should have been an enjoyable evening was not. My displeasure was not caused by the happenings on the
ice but rather an overzealous usher. My son, anticipating a goal, stood up for a shorthanded two on one. The usher
promptly told him he could not stand up because others wanted to see. Am I to believe that standing for a crucial
play in a game is forbidden? My son stood in the excitement of the moment and quickly sat back down as the play
ended. If this is how your ushers treat fans at a sporting event than I think I'd rather not be apart of it further.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/07/09 at 6:29 pm

Flyers took Edmonton to 7 games that year and scored the opening goal in game 7. They were only losing by 1 goal until the final few minutes when Glenn Anderson took a shot and scored from just inside the blue line to make it 3-1.  It was a good series.
I still have that game on tape somewhere.

That was the one where Hextall won the Conn Smythe right? 

I sent this email to the Wachovia center.

Saturday night, Dec.5, 2009, my son and I attended the Flyers/Capitals game. We sat in section 202 row 1 and
what should have been an enjoyable evening was not. My displeasure was not caused by the happenings on the
ice but rather an overzealous usher. My son, anticipating a goal, stood up for a shorthanded two on one. The usher
promptly told him he could not stand up because others wanted to see. Am I to believe that standing for a crucial
play in a game is forbidden? My son stood in the excitement of the moment and quickly sat back down as the play
ended. If this is how your ushers treat fans at a sporting event than I think I'd rather not be apart of it further.

I hope they give you a souvenir puck.

Written By: Frank on 12/07/09 at 7:22 pm

That was the one where Hextall won the Conn Smythe right? 

Yup, Hextall won the Conn Smythe that year. 1987

I hope they give you a souvenir puck.

I hope they give him free tickets in a special luxury box and a Flyers Jersey signed by the team, and a bottle of gatorade ( to dump on the usher next time they go)

Written By: Tyler on 02/03/10 at 10:27 pm

Wow, getting kicked out for cheering.  Thats ridiculous.  A few months ago me and my friends almost got kicked out of a Hawks game, but we are loud wild teenagers, we didn't intend to bother anyone but I admit we got a little too wild. After security warned us we started watching our language.  After the game we even apologized to the family that was sitting in front of us. 

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/07/10 at 11:39 am

Thought you might be amused by this one...

Q: A couple of weeks ago at a frat party, I began to get with a pretty cute girl. As the night wore on, and the drinks started flowing, she took me back to her apartment. When I entered her room, the first thing I saw was a giant Sidney Crosby poster. Without saying another word to her, I left. My buddies have never stopped making fun of me since, but I still insist that it was the proudest moment of my life as a die-hard Flyers fan. Can you please give me some consolidation, or should I have just swallowed my pride? In my defense, I would not qualify her as "hot."
--Dave Z., Philly

SG: Yup, these are my readers.

Long live the Pittsburgh-Philly rivalry.  Pittsburgh > Philly though ;)

Written By: loki 13 on 02/07/10 at 5:16 pm

Thought you might be amused by this one...

Q: A couple of weeks ago at a frat party, I began to get with a pretty cute girl. As the night wore on, and the drinks started flowing, she took me back to her apartment. When I entered her room, the first thing I saw was a giant Sidney Crosby poster. Without saying another word to her, I left. My buddies have never stopped making fun of me since, but I still insist that it was the proudest moment of my life as a die-hard Flyers fan. Can you please give me some consolidation, or should I have just swallowed my pride? In my defense, I would not qualify her as "hot."
--Dave Z., Philly

SG: Yup, these are my readers.

Long live the Pittsburgh-Philly rivalry.  Pittsburgh > Philly though ;)

For now...... for now.

Funny story, but I think a true Flyers fan would have nailed her then defaced the poster while she was sleeping.  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...