inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: B(C)S matchups du jour...

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/06/09 at 7:20 pm

Always about the money, never about the competition :P

Looks like they're rounding out all the BCS matchups right now. 

Rose Bowl -- Oregon vs. Ohio State

Fiesta Bowl -- Boise State vs. TCU

Sugar Bowl -- Cincinnati vs. Florida

Orange Bowl -- Iowa vs. Georgia Tech

"Title" game -- Texas vs. Alabama

:P

Subject: Re: B(C)S matchups du jour...

Written By: loki 13 on 12/07/09 at 5:45 pm

As flawed as the old system was I still liked it better that the BCS horsecrap. Texas/Alabama should be
a decent game but I'm more interested in the Boise State/TCU match up. I'm just happy Florida is out
out the mix, I had enough of them.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/07/09 at 6:16 pm

As flawed as the old system was I still liked it better that the BCS horsecrap. Texas/Alabama should be
a descent game but I'm more interested in the Boise State/TCU matchup. I'm just happy Florida is out
out the mix, I had enough of them.

The only thing they had going for them was Tebow, I hope he has a good career, sounds like he actually goes to classes too.

I'd have preferred to see Boise State match up against one of the "BCS conference" folk, and same for TCU, now they're just an undercard.

Written By: loki 13 on 12/07/09 at 6:49 pm

The only thing they had going for them was Tebow, I hope he has a good career, sounds like he actually goes to classes too.

I'd have preferred to see Boise State match up against one of the "BCS conference" folk, and same for TCU, now they're just an undercard.

What would the BCS be without controversy. Some say TCU is the best team in the country, I didn't see enough of them to know only
what I read. The area I live gave a steady dose of Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State and Florida. I would have loved to have seen more
of the Western teams, that's where the competition seems to be but as you stated, money rules over all.

Written By: Mushroom on 01/11/10 at 12:29 am

I agree fully with you there.

One of the things I hate about the way the BCS is set up is that there is only one bowl game set up for Non-BCS schools, and that is the Fiesta Bowl.  This year's game was unique, because instead of offering only 1 "at large" team, they had 2 (neither BSU nor TCS is in a BCS conference).

I just saw the end of year rankings, and I see my Bronco's were ranked in 4th place.  Which is a lot better then after the 2007 Fiesta Bowl, where the loosing team (Oklahoma) was actually ranked higher in the polls then the winning team (Boise State).

Personally, I think the entire BCS system needs to be abolished, and instead move to a tiered system, where thich tear you are on depends on the your actual performance the year before.  And at mid-season winning teams are given a chance to move up a tier, and loosing teams move down.  This will award good playing, reguardless of the "school name", and reguardless of the Alumni and team budget.

Then you will see the really quality teams shine, and the "average or worse" with huge budgets but no special standing in years (cough-Notra Dame-cough) move down to playing the teams they should be playing (like Fresno State).  Because as "powerful" as people think the FIghting Irish are, they did not even rank in the top 25 this year.

Check for new replies or respond here...