inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: MCGwire Comes Clean

Written By: danootaandme on 01/12/10 at 7:31 am

The crying is over.  McGwire has fessed up, he started using 'roids his very early in his career, even though he was on the way to stardom.  He used them until the end of his career, including the now infamous 1998 Home Run record season, anyone with eyes knew that.  The question is why is he coming clean now?  I have heard that it is a condition of his job as batting coach.  That, to me, isn't right.  What organization in baseball has the right to require anything of any of the users? They knew it was going on, but, because of the revenue the jacked up power hitters brought to the game, they turned a blind eye. 

Subject: Re: MCGwire Comes Clean

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/12/10 at 10:29 am

I maintain that just because a dude takes steroids doesn't automatically make him capable of hitting 70 home runs, much less 35...so he does have a bit of skill.  Still doesn't make it right though.

Written By: Frank on 01/12/10 at 12:42 pm

I maintain that just because a dude takes steroids doesn't automatically make him capable of hitting 70 home runs, much less 35...so he does have a bit of skill.  Still doesn't make it right though.

You are correct, it doesn't make it right. 

Roids only change some long fly ball outs to HRs. McGwire, Manny, Aroids, Barry, Palmeiro, Sosa all have lots of skill and (who knows) many may have made it to the hall without roids. You can't remove their stats from MLB, but if the league wants to punish them, they can keep them out of the hall...for now.

Sadly, most every player who has played in this generation will always be looked at in a different way. Did they take roids or not. Players like Griffey or Pujols (who I don't think took roids) will be unfortunately associated with this era. :\'(
It's MLB's problem in the first place by turning a blind eye. They have to live with the consequences.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/12/10 at 2:40 pm

You do have a couple of spitball pitchers who ended up in the Hall too.  And then there's Ty Cobb :P

Written By: nally on 01/13/10 at 1:31 pm

I agree with that too. When Costas asked him if he could've done that without the use of roids, Gwire said he thinks so. After all, he did hit 40-some during his rookie season of 1987.

Check for new replies or respond here...