inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Bosox's Bernie Carbo says he was stoned during '75 World Series

Written By: Frank on 04/04/10 at 7:26 pm

Most baseball fans know about Carlton Fisk's iconic home run that won Game 6 of the 1975 World Series.

They also might know about Bernie Carbo, who hit a homer that made Fisk's possible. With the Red Sox four outs from elimination, Carbo kept Boston's hopes alive by stroking a pinch-hit, score-tying, three-run homer into the center-field bleachers at Fenway Park.

Fisk then did his thing in the 12th, waving the ball fair to end one of the greatest World Series games ever played. It sent New England into bedlam — until the Cincinnati Reds came back to win Game 7.

From the Boston Globe:

"I probably smoked two joints, drank about three or four beers, got to the ballpark, took some , took a pain pill, drank a cup of coffee, chewed some tobacco, had a cigarette, and got up to the plate and hit,'' Carbo said.

It wasn't a one-time binge, either:

"I played every game high,'' Carbo said. "I was addicted to anything you could possibly be addicted to. I played the outfield sometimes where it looked like the stars were falling from the sky."

Subject: Re: Bosox's Bernie Carbo says he was stoned during '75 World Series

Written By: topforty on 04/05/10 at 9:48 am

I remember that Game Six in 1975.  It had been postponed a couple of times because of rain and finally was played on a school night.  I fell asleep right after Carbo's homerun so I didn't get to see then ending.  I believe Sparky Anderson practically used his entire pitching staff to try and win the game.  I believe everybody was used except the next days starter who was Don Gullett. But unlike todays coddled pitchers where they need three days rest after throwing 10 pitches in a game, that Reds pitching staff was ready the next day and put together a nice win in Game Seven.

But Carbo's admission of being high in games, that's a riot.  :D  Probably par for the course though for a good share of players at that time.

Although not the worse outfielder in the game during his playing days, his defense wasn't exactly gold glove caliber either.  I guess seeing stars falling from the sky might make catching a pop fly a little bit tougher.  ;D 

Written By: Frank on 04/05/10 at 10:36 am

I remember that Game Six in 1975.  It had been postponed a couple of times because of rain and finally was played on a school night.  I fell asleep right after Carbo's homerun so I didn't get to see then ending.  I believe Sparky Anderson practically used his entire pitching staff to try and win the game.  I believe everybody was used except the next days starter who was Don Gullett. But unlike todays coddled pitchers where they need three days rest after throwing 10 pitches in a game, that Reds pitching staff was ready the next day and put together a nice win in Game Seven.

But Carbo's admission of being high in games, that's a riot.  :D  Probably par for the course though for a good share of players at that time.

Although not the worse outfielder in the game during his playing days, his defense wasn't exactly gold glove caliber either.  I guess seeing stars falling from the sky might make catching a pop fly a little bit tougher.  ;D 

I watched all of game 6 that night. Your recall of game 6 is correct, Reds did use many pitchers that night.And I agree, I imagine several players were high during the 70s. Carbo also admitted he ruined his career somewhat with the substance abuse.
When Carbo was in the Reds farm system (late 60s), he was actually thought of as a better prospect than Johnny Bench.

Written By: topforty on 04/05/10 at 1:23 pm

I can recall falling asleep after the Carbo homerun because his homerun and the 3-RBI's were the last entry on my homemade scoresheet.  Also recall the Reds were using lot of pitchers because on my scoresheet I only had room for four pitchers for each team and I needed a sheet of paper to start putting the Red's pitchers on from the 7th inning on. 

Carbo even with his substance problems, didn't have a bad career.  Used mostly as a 4th outfielder for his time in the bigs, you do wonder if he wasn't high all the time if he would have been a full time starter for some team somewhere.  What was it 12 seasons in the big leagues, not to bad. As Archie Bunker might say, "You know how many people didn't even have one big season in the majors ... most".  ;D

Written By: Frank on 04/06/10 at 10:21 am

I can recall falling asleep after the Carbo homerun because his homerun and the 3-RBI's were the last entry on my homemade scoresheet.  Also recall the Reds were using lot of pitchers because on my scoresheet I only had room for four pitchers for each team and I needed a sheet of paper to start putting the Red's pitchers on from the 7th inning on. 

Carbo even with his substance problems, didn't have a bad career.  Used mostly as a 4th outfielder for his time in the bigs, you do wonder if he wasn't high all the time if he would have been a full time starter for some team somewhere.  What was it 12 seasons in the big leagues, not to bad. As Archie Bunker might say, "You know how many people didn't even have one big season in the majors ... most".  ;D

I imagine he would have had a more decent career if not for the substance abuse problems.

Written By: danootaandme on 04/06/10 at 10:27 am

That was nothing to what Bill "Spaceman" Lee did. Hell, a good portion of them were doing it.

Written By: Frank on 04/06/10 at 10:58 am

That was nothing to what Bill "Spaceman" Lee did. Hell, a good portion of them were doing it.

Bill "Spaceman" Lee, one of the greatest characters ever in pro sports. If ya ever get to read his book "The wrong stuff". it's a good read.

Check for new replies or respond here...