inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: NHL playoffs 2009-10

Written By: Frank on 04/13/10 at 11:33 am

Playoffs begin on Wednesday April14th.

This year, Washington Capitals had the most points in the NHL, San Jose was first (again) in the west, but always collapse in the playoffs.

Many are predicting a Washington/Chicago final, but neither team has a great goalie so...I dunno.
Usually, the teams with the hot goalies move on. The usual suspects (Pittsburgh, NJ, Detroit) will have a say as who will win. Buffalo has the best goalie this year (Ryan Miller). Is this the year Luongo (from Vancouver) finally does well in the playoffs?

This year, I have no idea who will win (I'm fairly sure neither Colorado, Nashville nor MTL will win)
Who do ya think will do well?

Subject: Re: NHL playoffs 2009-10

Written By: loki 13 on 04/13/10 at 8:09 pm

Anyone other than Pittsburgh, Washington, New Jersey or Detroit.

I am not happy that the Flyers are in. As a fan I couldn't cheer for them to lose but as a realist I know they
don't have a prayer. You're right, in the playoffs it's the team with the hot goalie that wins but the Flyers
have Boucher, who is a back up to the backup's back up. They open with the Devils whom the Flyers handled
pretty well during the year, but it isn't the regular season anymore so I have very little faith.

I also have no faith in San Jose, year after year they find a way to choke.

Written By: Frank on 04/15/10 at 10:09 am

Anyone other than Pittsburgh, Washington, New Jersey or Detroit.

I am not happy that the Flyers are in. As a fan I couldn't cheer for them to lose but as a realist I know they
don't have a prayer. You're right, in the playoffs it's the team with the hot goalie that wins but the Flyers
have Boucher, who is a back up to the backup's back up. They open with the Devils whom the Flyers handled
pretty well during the year, but it isn't the regular season anymore so I have very little faith.

I also have no faith in San Jose, year after year they find a way to choke.

And San Jose lost game 1 last night. I'm sure they are thinking "again?"

Written By: Frank on 04/17/10 at 1:48 am

And San Jose lost game 1 last night. I'm sure they are thinking "again?"

And they almost lost game 2.
Lots of early upsets so far.
That's playoff hockey!

Written By: nondiva234 on 04/17/10 at 1:59 am

Obviously, I'd like the home team to win, so we can have an Olympic-sized fiesta once again (sans window smashing and cop car overturning à la 1994). Let's hope Bobby Lou can get his game together...

Lots of upsets this first game. But then again, it's only the first game. Personally, I'd like some upsets in the East, like the Habs trumping over the Caps; now that would be very interesting! :D

Written By: Frank on 04/17/10 at 4:13 pm

Obviously, I'd like the home team to win, so we can have an Olympic-sized fiesta once again (sans window smashing and cop car overturning à la 1994). Let's hope Bobby Lou can get his game together...

Lots of upsets this first game. But then again, it's only the first game. Personally, I'd like some upsets in the East, like the Habs trumping over the Caps; now that would be very interesting! :D

I'm a huge Habs fan, but even if they won game 1, Washington just can't lose against MTL. (Unless Theodore, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Semin and Green are all out with injuries)

Written By: nally on 04/18/10 at 9:41 pm

I'm rooting for the Queens...I mean Kings.

Written By: Frank on 04/19/10 at 11:32 am

Dan Boyle...oops.

Written By: Frank on 04/20/10 at 1:24 am

I'm rooting for the Queens...I mean Kings.

They won tonight. Good game.

Written By: nally on 04/20/10 at 10:21 pm

They won tonight. Good game.

Agreed. O0

I'd like to see if I can watch the next game when it comes on.

Written By: Frank on 04/21/10 at 12:36 am

Agreed. O0

I'd like to see if I can watch the next game when it comes on.

So far the fist round has been very exciting. San Jose just scored in OT to avoid going down 3-1.
NJ down 3-1. Boston leading Buffalo, Nashville leading Chicago. Who knew.

Written By: nally on 04/21/10 at 10:41 pm

I was just watching the early part of the Canucks-Kings game. L.A. scored a goal in the first period to take an early lead.

Update: now it's 3-2 Kings at the end of the second period.

Written By: nally on 04/21/10 at 11:16 pm

Oop...Vancouver tied it up; now it's 3-all with about 11 minutes to go in regulation.

Written By: nally on 04/21/10 at 11:25 pm

Now Vancouver is ahead by a point! :o

Written By: Frank on 04/22/10 at 1:36 am

Now Vancouver is ahead by a point! :o

And Vancouver wins, series tied 2-2

Written By: nally on 04/22/10 at 10:34 pm

And Vancouver wins, series tied 2-2

Yes, I found out in the sports page this morning that they outscored the Kings 6-4 in that game.

Kings still have a shot...and if they don't move on, then I'll find a different team to cheer for.

Written By: Frank on 04/23/10 at 12:18 am

Yes, I found out in the sports page this morning that they outscored the Kings 6-4 in that game.

Kings still have a shot...and if they don't move on, then I'll find a different team to cheer for.

Devils are out ( YES!!!!!)
Ottawa stays alive today, Pittsburgh just couldn't put them away. I'm getting tired listening to the commentators praise everything Sid Crosby does, it's too much.

Written By: loki 13 on 04/23/10 at 5:34 pm

Devils are out ( YES!!!!!)
Ottawa stays alive today, Pittsburgh just couldn't put them away. I'm getting tired listening to the commentators praise everything Sid Crosby does, it's too much.

At least I'm not the only one. Every time Crosby scores a goal it's like the most spectacular thing that we've ever witnessed. Give me a break,
I know he is a good player but jeez, let him retire before he is elevated to deity. Gretzky deserved the accolades, he was The Great One in a
time when hooking was almost non existant and there was no interference, but Crosby? The league caters to him and Ovechkin, to the point
that it is sickening.

Ian Laperriere is lucky that he only needed about 70 stitches close the gash above his eye. It looked really ugly when he blocked the shot with
his face, at first it looked as if he might have lost an eye. He says now he will wear a shield but I can't see how, he likes to fight too much.

Written By: Frank on 04/24/10 at 4:35 pm

At least I'm not the only one. Every time Crosby scores a goal it's like the most spectacular thing that we've ever witnessed. Give me a break,
I know he is a good player but jeez, let him retire before he is elevated to deity. Gretzky deserved the accolades, he was The Great One in a
time when hooking was almost non existant and there was no interference, but Crosby? The league caters to him and Ovechkin, to the point
that it is sickening.

Ian Laperriere is lucky that he only needed about 70 stitches close the gash above his eye. It looked really ugly when he blocked the shot with
his face, at first it looked as if he might have lost an eye. He says now he will wear a shield but I can't see how, he likes to fight too much.

The league caters to Sid the kid too much. Last year when Malkin won the Conn Smythe and the scoring title, it was "ho hum...but Crosby Captains the Pens to the Cup!"

Crosby is a great talent, a wonderful player, but ya, they overdo it.

Written By: Frank on 04/24/10 at 5:14 pm

Black Hawks pull it out in O.T.!

Be nice to see them win the Cup if (I mean when) Mtl is eliminated.
They have waited since 1961.

Written By: Frank on 04/24/10 at 10:44 pm

Pittsburgh moves on to round 2.
Ottawa is now eliminated. Only 2 Canadian teams left. And Mtl will probably go soon, so it's Vancouver or bust!

Written By: Frank on 04/24/10 at 11:34 pm

San Jose is on to round 2.
Coming back for losing 2-1 in the series, is this what they need to go all the way?
Maybe...

Written By: nally on 04/25/10 at 11:54 am

I guess things don't look so good for the Queens Kings?

Written By: Frank on 04/25/10 at 5:23 pm

Kings need to win tonight to stay alive.
Detroit/Phoenix are going to a game 7, as Phoenix won today. 

Written By: Frank on 04/25/10 at 11:36 pm

Kings have been crowned.
Vancouver moves on.

Written By: nally on 04/26/10 at 10:15 pm

Kings have been crowned.
Vancouver moves on.

Yep...I knew when I saw the score 4-2 with one minute left in regulation, that things didn't look too promising at all.

So now I am pretty much neutral on the other teams (don't really have a favorite of the remaining ones)...but when the Stanley Cup Finals start, I will probably choose a team to root for.

Written By: Frank on 04/27/10 at 11:17 am

Yep...I knew when I saw the score 4-2 with one minute left in regulation, that things didn't look too promising at all.

So now I am pretty much neutral on the other teams (don't really have a favorite of the remaining ones)...but when the Stanley Cup Finals start, I will probably choose a team to root for.

Chicago won it's series, and will play Vancouver next. That will be a good series.

Written By: Frank on 04/27/10 at 10:15 pm

Looks like Detroit will beat Phoenix.
Detroit Vs San Jose. Another good battle.

Written By: nally on 04/28/10 at 10:21 pm

Montreal is moving on; Washington says goodbye. (I was watching the last part of that game earlier.)

Written By: Frank on 04/29/10 at 11:41 am

Montreal is moving on; Washington says goodbye. (I was watching the last part of that game earlier.)

Woohoo!

http://tenalicio.us/images/sports/top%20franchises/6_habs.gif

Written By: MrCleveland on 04/29/10 at 2:40 pm

I'm hoping that the Stanley Cup Finals will be the Penguins vs. the Blackhawks and the Blackhawks win the cup!

Written By: Frank on 04/29/10 at 10:27 pm

I'm hoping that the Stanley Cup Finals will be the Penguins vs. the Blackhawks and the Blackhawks win the cup!

IF MTL doesn't win ( and I don't think they will) , I hope Chicago does.

Written By: Frank on 04/30/10 at 11:02 pm

Halak is human, gives up 5 goals against Pittsburgh.
Pens win 6-3

No apparent dives by Crosby today.

Written By: Frank on 05/01/10 at 11:22 pm

Game 1, round 2

Boston beats Philly in OT
Vancouver easily takes care of Chicago. Chicago will play better in game 2.

Written By: Frank on 05/02/10 at 8:43 pm

Montreal beat Pittsburgh 3-1 today. It's amazing what a hot goalie can do.

Written By: Frank on 05/04/10 at 11:48 pm

San Jose leads Detroit 3 games to none. Who saw that coming?

Written By: Frank on 05/07/10 at 12:15 am

Halak still playing over his head, Habs steal a game and tie series 2-2
Detroit shows up in a big way, San Jose still leads series 3-1.

Written By: Frank on 05/08/10 at 12:23 pm

Chicago looks good again against Vancouver.
With Detroit, Boston and Montreal still alive, a small possibility for an original six semi final...

Written By: Frank on 05/09/10 at 12:05 am

No Pittsburgh/Detroit final this year, San Jose eliminated Detroit in 5 games. Is this finally the year San Jose gets the cup?

Ever since Dan Boyle scored on his own net, pretty much everything has gone right for San Jose.

Written By: Frank on 05/11/10 at 12:00 am

Habs beat Pittsburgh  :) to force a game 7. Amazing!

Written By: loki 13 on 05/11/10 at 5:19 pm

The Flyers live to fight another day but at an expense. In this injury plagued season they suffered a couple more
in last night's 4-0 win over Boston. Flyers goalie Brian Boucher suffered an injury to both knees and is expected to
be out the rest of the season and Claude Giroux missed the latter part of the second period and all of the third due
to feeling a little woozy after a hit he recieved into the boards. I admire the Flyers tenacity, with all their injuries they
could have hung it long ago but here they are, still battling, still being a thorn in the side of the NHL.

Written By: Frank on 05/11/10 at 5:23 pm

The Flyers live to fight another day but at an expense. In this injury plagued season they suffered a couple more
in last night's 4-0 win over Boston. Flyers goalie Brian Boucher suffered an injury to both knees and is expected to
be out the rest of the season and Claude Giroux missed the latter part of the second period and all of the third due
to feeling a little woozy after a hit he recieved into the boards. I admire the Flyers tenacity, with all their injuries they
could have hung it long ago but here they are, still battling, still being a thorn in the side of the NHL.

I think anyone in the west conference hopes that Montreal upsets Pitts, or if Pitts wins then whoever wins out of Boston/Philly will beat Pitts and be an underdog in the finals.

Written By: Frank on 05/12/10 at 10:32 am

Vancouver is gone. Our town is sad.
Hope Chicago makes it to the final!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/12/10 at 8:54 pm

Montreal won!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

Written By: Frank on 05/13/10 at 12:35 am

Montreal won!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

Woot!

Go Habs!!!!!!!!!

Written By: Frank on 05/15/10 at 11:06 am

If you are a Flyers fan, you are on cloud 9, Losing 3 games to 0, you win the next 4 games. Congrats!
If you are a Bruin fan, I feel for ya.

Flyers Vs Canadiens
Sharks s Blackhawks

Hoping for a Chicago/Montreal final.

Written By: loki 13 on 05/15/10 at 8:16 pm

If you are a Flyers fan, you are on cloud 9, Losing 3 games to 0, you win the next 4 games. Congrats!
If you are a Bruin fan, I feel for ya.

Flyers Vs Canadiens
Sharks s Blackhawks

Hoping for a Chicago/Montreal final.

Cloud 7, there is still work to be done.

Strange game, this hockey. If you told me, at the start of the playoffs, that the Flyers and Canadiens would be playing
for a chance to go to the Stanley Cup finals I would have said you were nuts. I could see one or the other but certainly
not both, okay, truth be told, not the Flyers. I didn't think they had this year, too many injuries, too much drama but to
my surprise they are playing well and the fan in me wants them to keep going. Hey, why not us?

My only concern is that the Flyers organization will think that they are good enough and not try for anything in the off season.
Their main concern is goaltending, I don't think Emery is the answer and the others are just backups. It may be a stretch but
Montreal and Boston may have goaltender issues which may make Carey Price or Tim Thomas available, we shall see.

Written By: Frank on 05/15/10 at 11:08 pm

I don't think the HAbs will be ready to give up on Carey Price yet. Tim Thomas might be available though.
This has been the same question for the Flyers since...maybe all the way back to Hextall. They need a great keeper.

7th seed Vs 8th seed. At the start of the year though, Flyers were picked by some to compete with Pittburgh for the top seed. They have good scorers (Gagne, Briere, Richards) and Pronger is always a pain to play against.
I think the Flyers will push the Habs around a lot. If the Habs can take advantage on the PP, they have a chance to win it.

Written By: Frank on 05/16/10 at 10:29 pm

Chicago and Philly each win their game 1, no surprise here.

Written By: MrCleveland on 05/18/10 at 12:47 pm

Go Blackhawks!

Give The Windy City a Stanley Cup, you've been waiting for 39 years!

Written By: Frank on 05/19/10 at 12:54 am

Go Blackhawks!

Give The Windy City a Stanley Cup, you've been waiting for 39 years!

49 years.
Chicago leads the series 2-0, no surprise, just as Philly leading MTL 2-0

Written By: Frank on 05/20/10 at 10:33 pm

Montreal wins 5-1 tonight,. At least they won't get swept.

Written By: Frank on 05/22/10 at 10:27 am

Chicago looks good, up 3-0 in the series.
Happy for Chicago!

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/22/10 at 11:36 am

Chicago looks good, up 3-0 in the series.
Happy for Chicago!

Go Hawks!!!

Written By: nally on 05/22/10 at 1:42 pm

Whichever team wins is fine with me.

Written By: Frank on 05/22/10 at 1:59 pm

I shall go watch MTL and Philadelphia in a few minutes.

Written By: Frank on 05/22/10 at 5:12 pm

Philly dominated MTL in every aspect, wins 3-0, leads series 3-1. Seems like a Chicago/Philadelphia final. Should be a good one!

Written By: MrCleveland on 05/22/10 at 10:40 pm

49 years.
Chicago leads the series 2-0, no surprise, just as Philly leading MTL 2-0

Sorry 'bout that....

Go Blackhawks!

Written By: Frank on 05/23/10 at 8:28 pm

Chicago sweeps San Jose !

Chicago in the final, waiting for Philadelphia...

Written By: Frank on 05/25/10 at 12:34 am

Philadelphia hangs on to win 4-2 today, and win the series 4 games to 1.
Now that Montreal is eliminated, cheering for the Blackhawks!

Go Chicago!

Jonathan Toews and Mike Richards. One of them will Captain their team to the cup, having just won a gold medal in Hockey a few months ago at the Olympics. Pretty good year I think.

Written By: loki 13 on 05/25/10 at 6:40 pm

Cloud 8,  ;D

I am as surprised as anyone that I am still watching my team play hockey. As I stated in my first post, I didn't give the
Flyers much of a chance but now that they are here I can only hope they keep going. No matter what happens now
I think it has been a successful season for the Flyers.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/25/10 at 7:56 pm

Cloud 8,  ;D

I am as surprised as anyone that I am still watching my team play hockey. As I stated in my first post, I didn't give the
Flyers much of a chance but now that they are here I can only hope they keep going. No matter what happens now

I hope they give the Hawks a fight.  Either way I'm gonna shave my playoff beard right afterwards, this thing is ITCHY :P

Written By: Frank on 05/26/10 at 1:09 am

Cloud 8,  ;D

It has been a good season for Philly, and Montreal too. I think Philly and Chicago should be thankful they didn't have to play Pitts or Washington.
I am looking forward to a good series between Philly and Chicago. All my friends here thinks Chicago will sweep. I...don't think so. 

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/27/10 at 5:16 pm

It has been a good season for Philly, and Montreal too. I think Philly and Chicago should be thankful they didn't have to play Pitts or Washington.
I am looking forward to a good series between Philly and Chicago. All my friends here thinks Chicago will sweep. I...don't think so. 

Probably goes at least five or six games.

Written By: Frank on 05/27/10 at 10:25 pm

Probably goes at least five or six games.

Agreed.  Both teams will battle hard. Pronger Vs Byfuglien in front of the net. can't wait.

Written By: Frank on 05/29/10 at 10:49 pm

Chicago takes game 1, 6-5. Weird game.

Written By: loki 13 on 05/30/10 at 9:38 am

I posted in the baseball thread about hockey so I'll post in the hocky thread about baseball.

I should have watched Halladay throw a perfect game instead of that fiasco they called a hockey game.
Both teams were horrendous defensively and the goaltending was suspect as well. The league and TV
execs loved the pace and high score but that is for a casual fan. I've been watching hockey a long time,
Since Peter Puck explained the rules of the game and to me, that was not hockey. I can only hope it
gets better.

Written By: MrCleveland on 05/30/10 at 9:28 pm

I hope the Blackhawks sweep the Flyers!

Written By: Frank on 05/30/10 at 10:47 pm

I posted in the baseball thread about hockey so I'll post in the hocky thread about baseball.

I should have watched Halladay throw a perfect game instead of that fiasco they called a hockey game.
Both teams were horrendous defensively and the goaltending was suspect as well. The league and TV
execs loved the pace and high score but that is for a casual fan. I've been watching hockey a long time,
Since Peter Puck explained the rules of the game and to me, that was not hockey. I can only hope it
gets better.

The game winning goal by Chicago should not have counted, as seconds before the puck actually hit a Chicago player on the Bench, and the whistle should have been blown.

Written By: Frank on 06/01/10 at 11:04 am

Chicago holds on for a 2-0 series lead.
For Philly to win the cup, they have to win 4 out of the next 5 games. Difficult...but not impossible. They were down 3-0 to Boston and won 4 straight a few weeks ago. It can happen. But, Chicago is a a little better than the Bruins.

Written By: Frank on 06/02/10 at 10:28 pm

Good game tonight. Very exciting. Philly wins in overtime. They were the better team after the 2nd period.

Written By: Frank on 06/04/10 at 10:49 pm

Another pretty good game, lots of hitting. Philadelphia holds on to win 4-3.
You can make a case that they have narrowly outplayed Chicago for all 4 games so far.

Pronger is solid.

Written By: Frank on 06/07/10 at 12:27 am

Chicago wins 7-4 tonight. I wouldn't count out Philly. Niemi gives up too many rebounds.

Written By: Frank on 06/10/10 at 12:12 am

http://mybearsandblackhawksblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/blackhawks.jpg

Congratulations to Chicago.
It was a good series.
Philly, a very worthy opponent.

Jonathan Toews. Captain of the Stanley cup Chicago Backhawks, Conn Smythe trophy winner, Gold medal at the Olympics and was Canada's best player at the Olympics.
Not a bad 2010..not bad at all.

Check for new replies or respond here...