inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: NBA Playoffs 2010, anyone?

Written By: nupur on 04/18/10 at 2:37 am

Thought I'd show the Sports Zone some love by starting a thread on the 2010 NBA playoffs. The postseason officially started today (4/17) and here are the results so far:

EAST:

(1)Cleveland Cavaliers 96 - (8)Chicago Bulls 83
Cavs lead 1-0

(3)Atlanta Hawks 102 - (6)Milwaukee Bucks 92
Bucks lead 1-0

(4)Boston Celtics 85 - (5)Miami Heat 76
Celts lead 1-0

WEST:

(4)Denver Nuggets 126 - (5)Utah Jazz 113
Nuggets lead 1-0

Cleveland beat Chicago pretty easily. I would love to see the Bulls pull through this one and upset the Cavs and Lebron, but I don't think that's very likely.
Boston beat Miami in a relatively close game, in which the Heat gave up a 12 or 14 point lead in the 3rd quarter, allowing the Celtics to get back in the game. There was a skirmish at the end of the fourth quarter after Paul Pierce got hurt (he came back into the game shortly after, though). The fight was centered around Quentin Richardson and Kevin Garnett, the latter of which was given two separate technical fouls and ejected from the game. Garnett could be suspended for game 2 of the series (but I personally hope not, as I am rooting for Boston all the way!!).
By the score, it looks like Denver had an easy time with Utah. I didn't watch that game, though, so I can't say much about it.

More action coming tomorrow (4/18)!

EAST:

(2)Orlando Magic - (7)Charlotte Bobcats

WEST:

(1)L.A. Lakers - (8)Oklahoma City
(2)Dallas Mavericks - (7)San Antonio Spurs
(3)Phoenix Suns - (6) Portland Trailblazers

Subject: Re: NBA Playoffs 2010, anyone?

Written By: nally on 04/18/10 at 8:22 pm

Go Lakers!

Written By: nupur on 04/18/10 at 8:26 pm

Sunday, 4/18, Recap (so far)

EAST:

(2)Orlando Magic 98 - (7)Charlotte Bobcats 89
Magic lead 1-0

WEST:

(1)L.A. Lakers 87 - (8)Oklahoma City 79
Lakers lead 1-0

(2)Dallas Mavericks 50 - (7)San Antonio Spurs 45
Mavs leading at halftime

(3)Phoenix Suns - (6) Portland Trailblazers
Playing at 10:30 EST

Also, Kevin Garnett is suspended from game 2 against Miami on Tuesday.

Written By: nupur on 04/18/10 at 8:27 pm

Go Lakers!

Boooo!  >:(

;)

Written By: nally on 04/18/10 at 9:40 pm

Boooo!  >:(

;)

I guess there's a possibility that your team and my team might be facing e.o. if they go all the way?

Written By: nupur on 04/18/10 at 9:45 pm

I guess there's a possibility that your team and my team might be facing e.o. if they go all the way?

Yes, I think it's a definite possibility. I'd love to see that match-up again!

Written By: nupur on 04/20/10 at 9:34 pm

Atlanta beat the Bucks today and lead that series 2-0.

Celtics are currently crushing Heat -- it's 101-71 with 3 1/2 minutes left in the 4th.

Phoenix is beating Portland at the moment. It's almost halftime for that game.

Written By: nupur on 04/23/10 at 8:57 pm

WOW! Paul Pierce just hit a buzzer beater against the Heat to win the game by 2. Dwyane Wade seems to have gotten hurt on Miami's last play. Hopefully it's just a muscle cramp and nothing more serious.

Also, Mavs and San Antonio are up next.

Written By: nupur on 04/24/10 at 9:33 pm

Wow, Brandon Roy is going to play again and it's only been something like 8-9 days since his knee surgery . . . hope he doesn't end up jeopardizing his future even more by coming back too soon. . .

Written By: tv on 04/25/10 at 5:38 pm

Wow, Brandon Roy is going to play again and it's only been something like 8-9 days since his knee surgery . . . hope he doesn't end up jeopardizing his future even more by coming back too soon. . .
Yeah I know what you are saying I was surprised to see him in a uniform playing when I first tuned in too the game yesterday. I was like isn;t he supposed to be out for the rest of the playoffs? Anyway, it was to see big men like Marcus Camby and LaMarcus Aldridge making jumpers from the foul line area or around that area in yesterdays Phoenix-Portland because you don;t see big men making jumpers from that range anymore.

Written By: nupur on 04/27/10 at 10:27 am

Yeah I know what you are saying I was surprised to see him in a uniform playing when I first tuned in too the game yesterday. I was like isn;t he supposed to be out for the rest of the playoffs? Anyway, it was to see big men like Marcus Camby and LaMarcus Aldridge making jumpers from the foul line area or around that area in yesterdays Phoenix-Portland because you don;t see big men making jumpers from that range anymore.

Looks like they limited Roy's minutes to 26-ish, which I suppose is reasonable? He was able to contribute a solid 10 points during that time. But, still, if Portland makes it into later rounds (they're down 3-2 games right now), I'm sure they'll have him play more minutes, and I don't think that's very safe for his knee.

Written By: nupur on 04/27/10 at 8:35 pm

Orlando & Boston have made it to the 2nd round. If the Cavs win tonight, they will also advance to play the Celtics. If not, that Cavs/Bulls series will go on.

Written By: MrCleveland on 04/30/10 at 9:21 am

Go Cavs!

We deserve something now, otherwise our city should just go off the map!

Written By: tv on 04/30/10 at 5:34 pm

Suns and Spurs are playing each other again in the playoffs again? I can;t wait this is must see TV when you get a chance to see these teams play each other. This is one of the best rivaliries in the past decade in the NBA. I picked the Suns to go to the NBA Finals against Orlando but I don't know now because the Spurs always play the Suns so well. The 2008 first round of the playoffs when the Suns and Spurs played in Game 1 of that playoff series that was one of the best games I ;ve ever watched. The Spurs in that game trailed by 16 points in the second quarter but sent the game into a overtime on a 3-point bank shot by Tim Duncan and the Spurs won in double overtime 117-115. I remember the Spurs Manu Ginoboli scoring like 38 points in the game. He was great in that game and he scored the winning points on a driving lay-up too when the score was tied at 115 a piece I think.

Written By: nupur on 04/30/10 at 8:52 pm

Go Cavs!

We deserve something now, otherwise our city should just go off the map!

Yes! The series starts tomorrow and I can't wait! Although all "experts" at ESPN have the Cavs beating the Celtics  ::), I don't know about that! ;)

If the Celtics can contain players like Varejao and Jamison, and Pierce can play as great as he did against Miami in the first round, it should be quite a good match. There's always LBJ to worry about, but the regular season series was a 2-2 split (with one of the Celt's losses being without Paul Pierce), so I say we have a chance!

Suns and Spurs are playing each other again in the playoffs again? I can;t wait this is must see TV when you get a chance to see these teams play each other. This is one of the best rivaliries in the past decade in the NBA. I picked the Suns to go to the NBA Finals against Orlando but I don't know now because the Spurs always play the Suns so well. The 2008 first round of the playoffs when the Suns and Spurs played in Game 1 of that playoff series that was one of the best games I ;ve ever watched. The Spurs in that game trailed by 16 points in the second quarter but sent the game into a overtime on a 3-point bank shot by Tim Duncan and the Spurs won in double overtime 117-115. I remember the Spurs Manu Ginoboli scoring like 38 points in the game. He was great in that game and he scored the winning points on a driving lay-up too when the score was tied at 115 a piece I think.

It seems like the West match-ups are always good ones! That's probably because teams in the West generally have closer records to each other than those in the East. This looks like an odd match-up because the Suns are known for playing with speed, while the Spurs generally play at a slower pace to allow for Duncan post game. I don't watch games from the Western Conference often (usually because they air so late in the East), but I suppose this series will go to whichever team can control the pace to their liking. I'm hoping for the Suns to pull through on this one, mostly because I have a personal thing against Manu Ginobili (not that I know him personally, it's just that something about him really bugs me -- perhaps all of his flopping?) ;D.

Written By: nally on 05/01/10 at 12:09 am

Lakers pulled out a win in Oklahoma City.

Written By: Frank on 05/01/10 at 12:34 am

Lakers pulled out a win in Oklahoma City.

Too bad. ( I feel the same way about the Lakers as I do about the NY Yankees of Baseball)

Written By: nally on 05/01/10 at 12:42 am

^I didn't realize that. :-\\ I only root for the lakers cuz' they're my local team.

Written By: Frank on 05/01/10 at 12:45 am

^I didn't realize that. :-\\ I only root for the lakers cuz' they're my local team.

It's OK, you are allowed to root for the Lakers.
I'm just not foond of them. Even when they had Shaq and going back futher, Magic, Kareem

Written By: nupur on 05/01/10 at 10:47 am

Too bad. ( I feel the same way about the Lakers as I do about the NY Yankees of Baseball)

Frank, you sound like you're from Boston  ;D

Written By: Frank on 05/01/10 at 11:15 am

Frank, you sound like you're from Boston  ;D

Nope, Canada. But I am a Red Sox fan.

Written By: nally on 05/01/10 at 3:50 pm

It's OK, you are allowed to root for the Lakers.
I'm just not foond of them. Even when they had Shaq and going back futher, Magic, Kareem

Thanks. I can respect your opinions too.

Of course I will never root for the Yankees under any circumstances.

Written By: tv on 05/01/10 at 4:35 pm

Yes! The series starts tomorrow and I can't wait! Although all "experts" at ESPN have the Cavs beating the Celtics  ::), I don't know about that! ;)

If the Celtics can contain players like Varejao and Jamison, and Pierce can play as great as he did against Miami in the first round, it should be quite a good match. There's always LBJ to worry about, but the regular season series was a 2-2 split (with one of the Celt's losses being without Paul Pierce), so I say we have a chance!

It seems like the West match-ups are always good ones! That's probably because teams in the West generally have closer records to each other than those in the East. This looks like an odd match-up because the Suns are known for playing with speed, while the Spurs generally play at a slower pace to allow for Duncan post game. I don't watch games from the Western Conference often (usually because they air so late in the East), but I suppose this series will go to whichever team can control the pace to their liking. I'm hoping for the Suns to pull through on this one, mostly because I have a personal thing against Manu Ginobili (not that I know him personally, it's just that something about him really bugs me -- perhaps all of his flopping?) ;D.
Is that why he gets injured all the time is because he flops? I never even put those 2 factors together with him(the injuries and the flopping.) It seems like every year I come on these boards when the NBA playoffs start I always ask on these boards is Manu gonna be healthy? A few times I thought he was on the cusp of being a great player and than each time I'm ready to call him great he gets injured and than he is back to being a good player after he returns from an injury.

Written By: nupur on 05/01/10 at 5:10 pm

Is that why he gets injured all the time is because he flops? I never even put those 2 factors together with him(the injuries and the flopping.) It seems like every year I come on these boards when the NBA playoffs start I always ask on these boards is Manu gonna be healthy? A few times I thought he was on the cusp of being a great player and than each time I'm ready to call him great he gets injured and than he is back to being a good player after he returns from an injury.

Of course, flopping is not the only thing Manu does. Admittedly, he plays hard, and that's where his injuries come from. Still, his flopping is undeniable . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEef1T_lqwA

Now, Manu is not the only guy in the NBA that flops, but he's still pretty well-known for it around the league.

Written By: tv on 05/01/10 at 5:14 pm

Of course, flopping is not the only thing Manu does. Admittedly, he plays hard, and that's where his injuries come from. Still, his flopping is undeniable . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEef1T_lqwA

Now, Manu is not the only guy in the NBA that flops, but he's still pretty well-known for it around the league.
Manu should have won the Oscar for that flop!!

Written By: nupur on 05/01/10 at 9:48 pm

Celts just dropped game one to the Cavs  :(. The first half went really well, but Cleveland came back in the 2nd half and we missed some chances to score down the stretch . . . Hopefully this loss will give Boston some fire in game 2.

Written By: tv on 05/03/10 at 5:37 pm

My Jazz they just can't stop losing to the Lakers? Aren;t they sick of it yet? I hope Andre Kirelinko returns fior Game 3 maybe he can give Kobe some fits. The thing is we are missing Mehmet Okur who would have the assignment on guarding Pau Gasol who killed the Jazz yesterday.

It sucks to be a Jazz fan over the last 20 years in the playoffs we have been burned by Kobe, Jordan, Kevin Johnson, Hakeem. We even lost to RUN TMC(i.e. the 88-89 Golden State Warriors) in the first round of the playoffs when the Jazz were a young and up and-coming team.

Written By: nupur on 05/03/10 at 6:25 pm

My Jazz they just can't stop losing to the Lakers? Aren;t they sick of it yet? I hope Andre Kirelinko returns fior Game 3 maybe he can give Kobe some fits. The thing is we are missing Mehmet Okur who would have the assignment on guarding Pau Gasol who killed the Jazz yesterday.

It sucks to be a Jazz fan over the last 20 years in the playoffs we have been burned by Kobe, Jordan, Kevin Johnson, Hakeem. We even lost to RUN TMC(i.e. the 88-89 Golden State Warriors) in the first round of the playoffs when the Jazz were a young and up and-coming team.

I'm really rooting for the Jazz in this one -- that would be a great underdog story!

Written By: nally on 05/03/10 at 11:13 pm

I guess the Celtics evened up the series with the Cavs.

Written By: nupur on 05/04/10 at 12:04 am

I guess the Celtics evened up the series with the Cavs.

That they did! Now it's back to Boston for game 3 on Friday.

Written By: MrCleveland on 05/05/10 at 3:30 pm

The Best O'Seven with the Cavs/Celtics is now split with a Celtic Blowout.

Who I fear more is the Magic and the Lakers.

Written By: tv on 05/08/10 at 4:09 pm

I'm shocked the Suns are up on the Spurs 3-0 now. That guy "Gragac" scored 23 points in the 4th quarter alone in Game 3 alone.. The Spurs led Game 3 39-21 in the second quarter but couldn;t hold that lead. I think the difference between this Suns team and other Suns teams is they have good role players(Grant Hill, Channing Frye, Dragac, and Jared Dudley.) They really didn't have those kinda role players  or that combonation of role players in past years, they also have Robin Lopez who's injured. I think they will miss Lopez greatly if they face the Lakers in the Western Conference Finals because it will give the Lakers such an advantage on the inside with Pau Gasol, and Andrew Bynum. Look what is happening to the Jazz against the Lakers without Mehmet Okur, they are getting manhandled by the Lakers by the basket.

I',m hearing people on ESPN saying the Orlando Magic could beat the Lakers. I don;t know about that.

Written By: nupur on 05/08/10 at 8:25 pm

I'm shocked the Suns are up on the Spurs 3-0 now. That guy "Gragac" scored 23 points in the 4th quarter alone in Game 3 alone.. The Spurs led Game 3 39-21 in the second quarter but couldn;t hold that lead. I think the difference between this Suns team and other Suns teams is they have good role players(Grant Hill, Channing Frye, Dragac, and Jared Dudley.) They really didn't have those kinda role players  or that combonation of role players in past years, they also have Robin Lopez who's injured. I think they will miss Lopez greatly if they face the Lakers in the Western Conference Finals because it will give the Lakers such an advantage on the inside with Pau Gasol, and Andrew Bynum. Look what is happening to the Jazz against the Lakers without Mehmet Okur, they are getting manhandled by the Lakers by the basket.

I',m hearing people on ESPN saying the Orlando Magic could beat the Lakers. I don;t know about that.

If the Finals end up being the Lakers and the Magic, I will not watch. I hate those two teams with a passion.

Written By: Frank on 05/08/10 at 11:20 pm

If the Finals end up being the Lakers and the Magic, I will not watch. I hate those two teams with a passion.

I will cheer for any team who plays the Lakers in any series. (Unless the Yankees become an NBA team)

Written By: Michael on 05/12/10 at 10:31 am

What in the world happened with the Cav's last nite?  Now we have to play for our LIVES!  LeBron James need to spark the team to victory in Boston!  Here's hoping he can do it!

Written By: nupur on 05/12/10 at 1:02 pm

What in the world happened with the Cav's last nite?  Now we have to play for our LIVES!  LeBron James need to spark the team to victory in Boston!  Here's hoping he can do it!

It will be a sad time for the Cavaliers fans and organization if the Cavs don't bring it for game 6, especially since Lebron has the option to go elsewhere for the next season. Side note -- it's kind of strange how this is the only series going on at the moment.

Written By: Brian06 on 05/12/10 at 5:54 pm

Damn the Cavs are down 3-2, is it another Cleveland style choke? LeBron is probably trying on Knicks jerseys already.

Written By: nupur on 05/12/10 at 11:18 pm

Damn the Cavs are down 3-2, is it another Cleveland style choke? LeBron is probably trying on Knicks jerseys already.

Some people are saying he might consider the Bulls as well!

Written By: nally on 05/12/10 at 11:55 pm

It will be a sad time for the Cavaliers fans and organization if the Cavs don't bring it for game 6, especially since Lebron has the option to go elsewhere for the next season. Side note -- it's kind of strange how this is the only series going on at the moment.

Yep, since the other three were sweeps. Kinda like how the 2007 MLB Division Series was. Three of the DSes were sweeps, while the remaining one (Indians and Yankes) went four games, with Cleveland winning it three games to one.

Back to the NBA. I'd like for this one to go seven games.

Written By: nupur on 05/13/10 at 4:31 pm

Yep, since the other three were sweeps. Kinda like how the 2007 MLB Division Series was. Three of the DSes were sweeps, while the remaining one (Indians and Yankes) went four games, with Cleveland winning it three games to one.

Back to the NBA. I'd like for this one to go seven games.

I beg to differ  ;)

Written By: nally on 05/13/10 at 10:52 pm

I beg to differ  ;)

As I often say, may the best team win. :)

Written By: Henk on 05/14/10 at 1:41 am

It even made Dutch headlines: Cavs are OUT!

And just FYI: I don't care either way.

Written By: Frank on 05/14/10 at 10:46 am

It even made Dutch headlines: Cavs are OUT!

And just FYI: I don't care either way.

Surprised to read about that this morning.
I guess the Shaq experiment didn't work out.
Start spreading the news....

Written By: tv on 05/17/10 at 11:29 am

Surprised to read about that this morning.
I guess the Shaq experiment didn't work out.
Start spreading the news....
This years Cavs team was just basically a more modern day of the version 1988-1989 Atlanta Hawks give or take. Lebron James was Dominique Wilkins, Shaq was Moses Malone(both were /are in the twilight of their careers), Mo Williams was Doc Rivers, Z was Jon Koncack.

I was shocked though the Cavs lost to the Celtics. I thought the Cavs would get beat by the Orlando Magic in the Conference Finals  just like last year. It looks like the Celtics are playing defense like the 2007-2008 team did that won the NBA championship that season. I thought the Celtics were too old to compete for an NBA championship this year, looks like I was wrong.

Written By: MrCleveland on 05/18/10 at 12:43 pm

I've now boycotted Cleveland Sports whatsoever! >:(

Cleveland Teams can't win worth sheesh!

Go Blackhawks!

Written By: nally on 05/19/10 at 11:55 pm

LAL is now up 2 games to none.

Written By: Frank on 05/20/10 at 12:34 am

LAL is now up 2 games to none.

BOO!

I hope ( insert any team name ) beats the Lakers!
Kobe's ego isn't big enough to fit in America if he wins another championship!  :D

Written By: MrCleveland on 05/22/10 at 10:39 pm

BOO!

I hope ( insert any team name ) beats the Lakers!
Kobe's ego isn't big enough to fit in America if he wins another championship!  :D

It's going to be the Celtics vs. Lakers for the umpteenth time since everyone has their eyes on LeBron, so the less of two evils...I'll go with LA!

Written By: nally on 05/29/10 at 10:50 pm

Well...it's official as to which two teams are going to be in the NBA Finals now.

Written By: nupur on 05/30/10 at 10:12 am

A Celtics/Lakers Finals will start June 3rd  :)

Written By: MrCleveland on 05/30/10 at 9:27 pm

A Celtics/Lakers Finals will start June 3rd  :)

Go Lakers!

Stay LeBron!

Written By: Frank on 05/30/10 at 10:50 pm

Go Celtics!

I am not a Kobe fan, but of Lakers win, I'd almost put him in the same category as Jordan, or at least in the same conversation.

Written By: Michael on 06/01/10 at 11:44 am

Go Celtics!!!!

At least we in Cleveland can say we were beat by the champs!

Written By: nally on 06/03/10 at 10:55 pm

Game One is in the books now.

Written By: nally on 06/15/10 at 10:39 pm

Okay...so a deciding game (7) will be necessary in the series...

Written By: Frank on 06/16/10 at 2:11 am

Smite the Lakers for winning.  >:(

Written By: nally on 06/17/10 at 10:39 pm

Right now, 'tis the 4th quarter in Game Seven and LAL leads by five. Still anyone's game...or so it seems

Written By: nally on 06/17/10 at 10:56 pm

And now it's over. I know we're going to have some disapproving fans (which is why I'm remaining calm on here about it), but that's life, what can I say?

Still, congratulations to the Lakers. They worked hard to go all the way.

Written By: Frank on 06/17/10 at 11:37 pm

Lakers win. Sad news for me, even tough they are the best team. Congrats to them.
Philip has 11 NBA championships now.

The MLB team I dislike the most wins the World series, now the NBA team I dislike the most wins the NBA title. So I suppose the Oakland Raiders will will the Super bowl?  :D

Written By: nondiva234 on 06/19/10 at 1:54 am

The funny thing was that I attended my cousin's début, but she held it while Game 7 of the NBA Finals was playing. So the entire party hall was glued to the large viewing screens that were airing the game, and since the 4th quarter was running rather slow, she willingly let us watch it to the end of regulation before the party would continue. How nice of her, lol! Although I disliked the ending; WTF Boston? You had it!

Check for new replies or respond here...