inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The longest tennis match ever- 10 hours and counting...

Written By: yelimsexa on 06/24/10 at 10:20 am

John Isner and Nicolas Mahut were tied 63-63 in the fifth set, on the third day of this match. Wimbledon is the last major tournament without a fifth-set tiebreaker.

Subject: Re: The longest tennis match ever- 10 hours and counting...

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/24/10 at 12:14 pm

I watched a little of this yesterday. It was the only time I can ever remember watching a sporting event where the participants actually had to stop in the middle of it to go to the bathroom (not that I can blame them of course).

It just ended a little bit ago, but it did wind up going over the 11 hour mark, which I think broke the previous record for longest match by like 4 or 5 hours.

Written By: Paul on 06/24/10 at 1:59 pm

Nothing short of amazing, when you consider that these two guys were on court longer than almost the entire British first round contingent put together!  ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/24/10 at 2:05 pm

The tennis match finsihed with American John Isner beating Nicolas Mahut of France 70-68 in the final set, in the longest tennis match in history at Wimbledon, after 11 hours and five minutes.

Written By: gibbo on 06/24/10 at 7:13 pm

The tennis match finsihed with American John Isner beating Nicolas Mahut of France 70-68 in the final set, in the longest tennis match in history at Wimbledon, after 11 hours and five minutes.

Okay....and now for the next match!  I do wonder if Isner has anything at all left in his tank. He may not win Wimbledon but his name will be attached to Grand Slam records for a very long time.....maybe forever, if the rules for 5th set tie breaks come into line with the rest of the tennis world.

I also wonder if the crowd were happy with that match ... or upset that they paid for a days tennis and got only part of one match!!!  :o

Written By: Bobo on 06/24/10 at 7:15 pm

The amusing thing about all of this is (speaking as a relative tennis ignoramus) that now it doesn't matter if Isner/Mahut do anything else of worthy statistical note in the future, they'll always have one of the most amazing records, one that will be so hard to top in the future..

Written By: Frank on 06/24/10 at 9:41 pm

The amusing thing about all of this is (speaking as a relative tennis ignoramus) that now it doesn't matter if Isner/Mahut do anything else of worthy statistical note in the future, they'll always have one of the most amazing records, one that will be so hard to top in the future..

It will be remembered for a long time.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/25/10 at 1:28 am

There is always the next game to play?

Check for new replies or respond here...