inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2011 World Series -- Rangers v. Cards

Written By: Tia on 10/19/11 at 5:08 pm

A thread to talk about the world series. for instance, when and where the heck is it gonna be on?

Subject: Re: 2011 World Series -- Rangers v. Cards

Written By: nally on 10/19/11 at 5:38 pm

To answer your question(s): it's gonna start tonight at 8pm Eastern (5 Pacific), which is only 1 1/2 hours away, and it'll be televised on Fox network. Games 1 and 2 will be played in St. Louis.

In fact, here's the complete schedule:
Game 1: Wednesday October 19, at St. Louis
Game 2: Thursday, October 20, at St. Louis
Game 3: Saturday, October 22, at Texas
Game 4: Sunday, October 23, at Texas
Game 5: Monday, October 24, at Texas (if necessary)
Game 6: Wednesday, October 26, at St. Louis (if necessary)
Game 7: Thursday, October 27, at St. Louis (if necessary)

All games will begin at 8pm Eastern (5pm Pacific, 6pm Mountain, 7pm Central).

Written By: nally on 10/20/11 at 12:40 pm

So, the Cardinals have taken game one, 3-2, even though the pitching wasn't all that great on either side in the early innings.

Written By: Tia on 10/20/11 at 1:45 pm

i'm so old i didn't even make it to the end, too late for a school night. just got to about the sixth or so inning.

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/20/11 at 3:15 pm

I think St. Louis is gonna win.

I'm NOT watching The World Series...I just lost all hope in sports since I live in a city where my teams do nothing but lose, it's like that "Family Guy"/Mets Joke....

okXhAC78d4Q

Written By: nally on 10/21/11 at 12:49 am

Well...it's tied up at 1 game apiece. The Rangers proved that a 1-0 lead is not safe in the 9th inning.

Written By: Tia on 10/21/11 at 7:02 am

yeah, that was a hell of a comeback. glad i stayed up this time.

Written By: nally on 10/23/11 at 2:52 pm

Albert Pujols went deep 3 times last night en route to a 16-7 win in Arlington; now the Cards are up 2 games to 1 on the Rangers. The bulk of the scoring occurred in the middle innings.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/23/11 at 2:53 pm

If I was a Rangers fan I'd be checking the clubhouse for beer and fried chicken

Written By: nally on 10/23/11 at 11:43 pm

Derek Holland was clearly effective for the Rangers tonight, as he shut down the Cardinals offense 4-zip. This ties up the series at 2 games apiece, and Busch Stadium will see a Game Six on Wednesday night.

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/24/11 at 2:04 pm

If I was a Rangers fan I'd be checking the clubhouse for beer and fried chicken

D&M...

You don't want to be a Rangers Fan...'cause remember who goes to their games now and sits next to Nolan Ryan every game blending into the crowd....(Hint: He nearly got hit by a Foul Ball this year).

Written By: nally on 10/24/11 at 3:34 pm

^ I hear ya...

Written By: danootaandme on 10/24/11 at 5:50 pm

I don't like anything out of Texas, they have too much to answer for.

Written By: Tia on 10/24/11 at 6:09 pm

I don't like anything out of Texas, they have too much to answer for.

i'm out of texas! so's this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0vK88YDD4M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGcgcOEvqE4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDnq6foOUXU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VvIY7nd6Fg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IzJCBWKDvQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Orxudpdg_FM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82HqhTmJt8g

i could go on, plainly.

imagine saying you don't like benjamin netanyahu or the likud party. are you imagining it?

now imagine saying, "I don't like anything that comes out of Israel."

Written By: Tia on 10/24/11 at 9:28 pm

by the way, who's this poo-holes guy playing for the cards? i don't like him.  >:(

Written By: nally on 10/24/11 at 10:50 pm

by the way, who's this poo-holes guy playing for the cards? i don't like him.  >:(

He put on quite a show in Game Three, but he hasn't been heard from since (or even in the first two games).

Btw, Tex just took Game Five to put the Cards on the brink of elimination...who'da thunk it? ???

Written By: Tia on 10/25/11 at 7:40 am

He put on quite a show in Game Three, but he hasn't been heard from since (or even in the first two games).

Btw, Tex just took Game Five to put the Cards on the brink of elimination...who'da thunk it? ???
yeah, that was good stuff. went on past my bedtime though.

Written By: nally on 10/26/11 at 11:25 pm

Game 6 called on account of wet weather. I was suspecting this would happen, since there'd been an 80% chance of rain for St. Louie today. So there will be baseball tomorrow night (weather permitting), and if Game 7 is necessary, it'll be played Friday.

Written By: nally on 10/27/11 at 11:56 pm

So... Game Six of the World Series has been played, and....

it will continue with a deciding game tomorrow.

That's right; the Texas Rangers scored some go-ahead runs and had a couple opportunities to win the game and the series itself, but the Cardinals tied it up. The Cardinals first overcame a 7-5 deficit in the 9th inning with a 2-RBI triple, but couldn't score the winning run after that (as there were two outs), thus tying the game at 7-7 and sending it into the 10th inning... and then after the Rangers got a 2-run homer in the top of the 10th, going up 9-7, the Cardinals erased that deficit in the bottom of the 10th to tie the game at 9-9... and then in the 11th, leadoff hitter David Freese smacked a towering shot to deep center for the Cardinals' first-ever walk-off World Series home run, for a 10-9 win. In both cases where they were down by a pair, they were also down to their last strike... but they did not throw in the towel.

So for the first time in 9 years, the World Series will see a Game Seven.

Written By: Brian06 on 10/28/11 at 12:16 am

That was a very exciting game!

Written By: danootaandme on 10/28/11 at 4:07 pm

i'm out of texas! so's this...

I tend to carry a grudge...still haven't gotten over Kennedy. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/28/11 at 9:53 pm

Oh, that's even better than my reason for rooting for the Cardinals , which was just "f**k Texas!"

:)

Written By: Brian06 on 10/28/11 at 11:25 pm

The Rangers choked worse than my Indians did back in 1997. I remember we were 2 outs away and I thought that was bad. I couldn't imagine being a Rangers fan right now- one strike away TWICE in game 6, and they end up losing the series.

Written By: nally on 10/29/11 at 1:32 pm

Yeah, that was quite a series. The Cardinals were 10 games back in the wildcard race to the Braves on August 25th (I think it was), and they made a late-season run for the wildcard spot, knocking off the Braves from that position on the last day of the regular season; they defeated the two NL teams with the best records (Phillies in the NLDS, Brewers in the NLCS)...and fought back against elimination to win the World Series title in Game Seven. Way to go, guys!

The Texas Rangers became the first team to lose two straight World Serieses since the Atlanta Braves did so in 1991 and 1992, and they join the San Diego Padres (1984; 1998) as the only teams to reach the World Series more than once and still not win it. Oh well...

This is also the first time in nearly three decades that the National League has won the World Series in consecutive years (the Giants won it last year). The last sequence of N.L. teams to win the World Series in consecutive years (4) were the 1979 Pirates, the 1980 Phillies, the 1981 Dodgers, and the 1982 Cardinals.

Written By: loki 13 on 10/29/11 at 2:06 pm

I wanted to root against the Cardinals because they knocked the Phillies out but being a National league guy and because it
was Texas I just couldn't do it. Anyhow the Cardninals as well as the city of St. Louis owe the Phillies a huge debt of gratitude.
After all it was the Phillies not letting up against the Braves that allowed the Cardinals to even compete in the post season.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/29/11 at 2:10 pm

Oh, that's even better than my reason for rooting for the Cardinals , which was just "f**k Texas!"

:)

That too.

Written By: Tia on 10/30/11 at 4:19 pm

not to take anything away from texas in terms of political assassinations, but i'm pretty sure it was the CIA -- read, ivy league elites -- who pulled that one off. at least that's what oliver stone told me.

Check for new replies or respond here...