inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Euro 2012

Written By: warped on 06/12/12 at 7:12 pm

Another great tournament. Felt priviledged to watch Spain/Italy and a bit of France/England.
Can Spain (without Villa) take it?
Will Portugal finally play as a team and win something?
Will England prevail this time?
Looking forward to some exciting games ahead.

Subject: Re: Euro 2012

Written By: Henk on 06/13/12 at 5:46 am

Another great tournament. Felt priviledged to watch Spain/Italy and a bit of France/England.
Can Spain (without Villa) take it?
Will Portugal finally play as a team and win something?
Will England prevail this time?

To answer your questions: No, no and no. :D

But seriously...I'm glad you decided to start this topic. We've been discussing Euro 2012 over in the Longest Sports Thread Ever, but this may be a much better place.
FYI: I decided not to start a topic on Euro 2012 (while I easily could have) because there's not a lot of Europeans around on this board.

Tonight it's Portugal vs Denmark and The Netherlands vs Germany.

Tension's building up, as The Netherlands lost their opening game against Denmark. To prevent early elimination, a win tonight would be most helpful. Holland vs Germany matches are always special, but tonight's one will be extra special, no doubt. It's almost like a final.
In the event of Denmark winning or drawing against Portugal, a win for The Netherlands is a must. In case of a win for Portugal, a draw or even a small loss might not be the end of the world (i.e. tournament) for Holland.

Written By: Paul on 06/13/12 at 5:55 am

A (hopefully) mouth-watering 'biggie' tonight...

Netherlands v Germany

...in which the Dutch simply must not lose! Will they go for it? Let's hope so..

Felt priviledged to watch Spain/Italy and a bit of France/England.

I'm not sure if watching England play can be classified as a 'privilege'!  :-\\

But I'm pretty certain you won't see much excitement out of them!  ;)

Written By: warped on 06/13/12 at 11:05 am

Germany/Holland 
Maybe Robben can redeem himself and score on penalties while Schweinsteiger will miss the final kick (like versus Chelsea)
I can't wait to watch that game. It is like a final. So is Spain/Italy, or England/France, or numerous other matches.

Sometimes countries (like Greece did some year back) surprise everyone.

Written By: Henk on 06/13/12 at 2:38 pm

Half time score:

Netherlands 0 - 2 Germany

Honestly, I've no idea how we're gonna fix that. We might as well go pack our bags.

Written By: warped on 06/13/12 at 3:00 pm

Half time score:

Honestly, I've no idea how we're gonna fix that. We might as well go pack our bags.

Germany is impressive so far. But Minute 57, Netherlands almost scored.

Written By: Henk on 06/13/12 at 3:47 pm

Half time score:

Full time:

Netherlands 1 - 2 Germany

Somehow we managed to get one in, but it's too little too late.
Although mathematically there's still a chance for us to make it to quarter finals (provided Germany beat Denmark, and we beat Portugal with a substantial goal difference), I feel it's all over. So far we've only scored once this tournament, and I don't quite see why we should break that habit. And what's more: nothing in tonight's game gave me the impression that the Dutch squad itself believes in their chances anymore.

Written By: Henk on 06/13/12 at 3:51 pm

Full time:

Netherlands 1 - 2 Germany

Somehow we managed to get one in, but it's too little too late.
Although mathematically there's still a chance for us to make it to quarter finals (provided Germany beat Denmark, and we beat Portugal with a substantial goal difference), I feel it's all over. So far we've only scored once this tournament, and I don't quite see why we should break that habit. And what's more: nothing in tonight's game gave me the impression that the Dutch squad itself believes in their chances anymore.

In fact, I think it's more than likely we'll also lose our last game. The spirit has gone.

The only good news is that it looks like it will be considerably less hot on Sunday. Maybe that will help shake off the lethargy that seems to have taken control of our squad.

Written By: Paul on 06/13/12 at 4:35 pm

Commiserations on that result, Henk...I really thought the Dutch were gonna pull out something special... :-\\

Mind you, contrary to my earlier insight, Germany did look impressive...

Due to the other result, it's not all over (Germany should easily stroll past Denmark, so that's half the equation solved), but it's win or bust with Portugal...

(Denmark managed to slip two past them, so there's hope!  ;))

Written By: Henk on 06/14/12 at 2:20 am

Commiserations on that result, Henk...I really thought the Dutch were gonna pull out something special... :-\\

So did I...for the first ten minutes of the game. But after that first German goal... :-\\

Mind you, contrary to my earlier insight, Germany did look impressive...

True, true. They're definitely a force to be reckoned with. The odd thing is: at this point it is still possible we'll meet them again in the final!

Due to the other result, it's not all over (Germany should easily stroll past Denmark, so that's half the equation solved), but it's win or bust with Portugal...

(Denmark managed to slip two past them, so there's hope!  ;))

Quite right. Germany only need a draw against Denmark though. I think it's likely they'll not put in too much effort in their game. Maybe even get the B-squad out. Or maybe not: losing that game * might * end up catastrophically for them.
But anyway - we need to win, and score a few. I say it's full steam ahead from the get-go. Put in three in the first 30 minutes or so, and the job is done. (And therein lies the problem: Bert van Marwijk is not likely to play fully on the attack, and so far we've only scored once...)

So what will happen? We'll probably see more of the same from The Netherlands, which has lead us...nowhere so far. And then the Portugese score one or two. Germany and Denmark will draw (which would have made all of our efforts pointless anyway!).

Written By: Henk on 06/14/12 at 4:16 am

Oh, just thinking of the headlines IF we make it, though...

HOLLANDINI!

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/14/12 at 1:21 pm

FULL-TIME Italy 1-1 Croatia

You have to give credit to Croatia for that second-half performance. They were second-best in the first but took the game to Italy in the second and got their reward. After impressing everyone in their opening game and in the first half here, Italy are brought back down to earth. This remains a very open tournament.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/14/12 at 1:43 pm

Next up

Rep of Ireland v Spain

The attention now switches to the Gdansk Arena in, er, Gdansk, where the Republic of Ireland, making their first appearance in a major international tournament since 2002 and their first Euro campaign since 1988, face World and European champions Spain. Lose and the Irish are out. The stakes could not be higher. Unfortunately, the Republic's opponents could not be higher in the world rankings.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/14/12 at 1:51 pm

GOAL: Spain (Fernando Torres) 1-0 Rep of Ireland

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/14/12 at 1:59 pm

GOAL: Spain (Fernando Torres) 1-0 Rep of Ireland
It has happened to the Republic again. Another early goal. Now they have a mountain to climb. Andres Iniesta's pass looks to release David Silva, but he is tackled by Richard Dunne on the edge of the box. However, the ball breaks loose to Fernando Torres, who drives on and to the right to find a shooting opportunity which he takes advantage of by smashing a the ball high past Shay Given. That is Torres' 29th international goal and it is a knife through Irish hearts.

Written By: warped on 06/14/12 at 3:34 pm

and it is a knife through Irish hearts.

The Irish are used to that in soccer.

Written By: Paul on 06/15/12 at 3:20 am

Republic Of Ireland 0 - Spain 4

Pretty much what everyone expected and the Irish are sent back home to the drawing board...

Second games in Group D today

Ukraine v France

Sweden v England

...bet you can't guess what will be the more entertaining tie!  ;)

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 06/15/12 at 3:44 am

Never seen such a weak performance within a European Championship  :o

Written By: Henk on 06/15/12 at 5:16 am

Never seen such a weak performance within a European Championship  :o

Who are you referring to? Or are you talking in general? ???

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 06/15/12 at 5:25 am

Who are you referring to? Or are you talking in general? ???

Ireland.

Written By: Paul on 06/15/12 at 9:18 am

To be fair, Ireland do not have the pick of the crop when it comes to national players...

...that, and playing the reigning European & World Champions may have something to do with it!

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/15/12 at 12:14 pm

What delayed the start of the Ukraine v France match?

Written By: Paul on 06/15/12 at 12:59 pm

What delayed the start of the Ukraine v France match?

Huge thunderstorm...probably the most exciting thing so far!

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/15/12 at 1:01 pm

Huge thunderstorm...probably the most exciting thing so far!
True!

The weather England is must suited to?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/15/12 at 1:02 pm

The England v Sweden game has now a later kick off.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/15/12 at 1:03 pm

The England v Sweden game has now a later kick off.
Gary Linekar just told me.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/15/12 at 1:40 pm

Reports that a banana was thrown on to the pitch during the match between Italy and Croatia are being investigated by UEFA.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/15/12 at 1:53 pm

FULL-TIME: Ukraine 0-2 France

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/15/12 at 1:59 pm

Former England manager, and BBC Radio 5 live summariser, Graham Taylor in Kiev

"We have to win this game."

Written By: warped on 06/15/12 at 2:04 pm

I'm sure England will win. France/England are the 2 best from that group.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/15/12 at 2:07 pm

I have the game on television, and I am avoiding looking at the dodgy haircuts!

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/15/12 at 2:26 pm

GOAL: Sweden 0-1 England (Andy Carroll)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/15/12 at 2:30 pm

GOAL: Sweden 0-1 England (Andy Carroll)
England lead! It is the first real moment of quality in the match that sees Steven Gerrard cross from deep on the right and Andy Carroll - the man drafted in to make an aerial difference to England's attack - rise and crash a header down and past the dive of Andreas Isaksson. That is why he is in the team. It has been an efficient as opposed to excellent start from England, but that moment encapsulated elements of both.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/15/12 at 2:49 pm

HALF-TIME: Sweden 0-1 England

Written By: Paul on 06/15/12 at 2:55 pm

And let's face it, he should know!  ::)

Bitty and sometimes scrappy first half (could you expect anything more from these two?) but England lead...

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/15/12 at 2:58 pm

And let's face it, he should know!  ::)

Bitty and sometimes scrappy first half (could you expect anything more from these two?) but England lead...
I heard a report recently stating that the majority of goals scored against Sweden in International matches have been headers, and Andy Carroll's goal was a header.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/15/12 at 3:11 pm

GOAL: Sweden (Olof Mellberg) 1-1 England

Written By: warped on 06/15/12 at 3:18 pm

A little surprised, I am. 2-1 Sweden at the moment.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/15/12 at 3:20 pm

It came as a surprise to me too!

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/15/12 at 3:20 pm

YELLOW CARD

England - James Milner

The midfielder allows Jonas Olsson to get away from him and gets a booking for slicing him to the ground with a poor tackle.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/15/12 at 3:23 pm

GOAL: Sweden 2-2 England (Walcott)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/15/12 at 3:25 pm

Mellberg scores twice in 10 mins for Sweden, then gets a yellow card.

Written By: warped on 06/15/12 at 3:37 pm

3-2 England. Last posession wins?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/15/12 at 3:38 pm

GOAL!!!

Sweden 2-3 England (Danny Welbeck)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/15/12 at 3:40 pm

GOAL!!!

Sweden 2-3 England (Danny Welbeck)
England back in front! It is a great finish as well from Danny Welbeck, but credit must also go to substitute Theo Walcott, who added to his equaliser with a major part in this goal. He cuts in to the right byline and crosses. It is behind Welbeck but he hooks his foot round the ball to flick it past Andreas Isaksson. What else can this mad second half throw at us?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/15/12 at 3:45 pm

Theo Walcott has been on 22 minutes, has been on the ball 11 seconds, has made four passes (all successful), and has one assist and one goal. Not a bad little cameo. Chances of him starting against Ukraine: high. There is just over five minutes to go and for England to hold out.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/15/12 at 3:47 pm

Sweden will be going home unless they get an equaliser. You can sense their desperation now. Joleon Lescott comes over to meet Markus Rosenburg, but he gives a free-kick and Sweden can deliver this into the box. Kim Kallstrom swings it over but England hold firm and head away.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/15/12 at 3:52 pm

We are into four minutes of injury time. England have a free-kick 30 yards from goal because of a Sweden handball, which earns Anders Svensson a booking. Steven Gerrard strikes it but it rose early and kept rising, way over the bar.

Written By: warped on 06/15/12 at 3:54 pm

nothin to worry about...
It was always in the bag.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/15/12 at 3:55 pm

nothin to worry about...
It was always in the bag.
Result: Sweden 2-3 England

Yippee!!!!!!

Written By: Paul on 06/15/12 at 3:58 pm

Whod've thunk it? Two teams whose style of play is sometimes akin to watching paint dry turn in a nail-biting second half!  :o

England's first competitive victory against Sweden for years and it looks like Sweden are going home...

I still harbour some major doubts about England's play, but hey-ho...a win's a win!

Written By: Henk on 06/15/12 at 5:01 pm

England's first competitive victory against Sweden for years and it looks like Sweden are going home...

It doesn't just look like they're going - they've officially gone. England and France both have four points now, Sweden can only get three (if they win their last game).

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/16/12 at 12:30 pm

Today Greece face Russia and Czech Republic play Poland in the final round of games from Group A.

Both matches are on at the same time, which one shall I watch.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/16/12 at 12:32 pm

Poland, who need to beat Czech Republic to reach the knockout stage, have three injury worries ahead of their final Group A match.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/16/12 at 1:24 pm

LINE-UPS Greece v Russia (19:45 BST)

Greece: Sifakis, Torosidis, Papastathopoulos, Kyriakos Papadopoulos, Tzavelas, Katsouranis, Maniatis, Salpingidis, Karagounis, Samaras, Gekas. Subs: Chalkias, Malezas, Makos, Liberopoulos, Mitroglou, Fotakis, Ninis, Holebas, Fortounis, Fetfatzidis, Tzorvas.

Russia: Malafeev, Aniukov, Berezutsky, Ignashevich, Zhirkov, Shirokov, Denisov, Glushakov, Dzagoev, Kerzhakov, Arshavin. Subs: Akinfeev, Sharonov, Izmailov, Pavlyuchenko, Kombarov, Granat, Pogrebnyak, Nababkin, Semshov, Shunin.

Referee: Jonas Eriksson (Sweden)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/16/12 at 1:25 pm

LINE-UPS Czech Republic v Poland (19:45 BST)

Czech Republic: Cech, Gebre Selassie, Sivok, Kadlec, Limbersky, Hubschman, Plasil, Jiracek, Kolar, Pilar, Baros. Subs: Lastuvka, Suchy, Hubnik, Necid, Rezek, Rosicky, Petrzela, Rajtoral, Pekhart, Lafata, Darida, Drobny.

Poland: Tyton, Piszczek, Wasilewski, Perquis, Boenisch, Dudka, Polanski, Blaszczykowski, Murawski, Obraniak, Lewandowski. Subs: Szczesny, Wojtkowiak, Kaminski, Matuszczyk, Rybus, Wawrzyniak, Sobiech, Mierzejewski, Wolski, Grosicki, Brozek, Sandomierski.

Referee: Craig Thomson (Scotland)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/16/12 at 2:34 pm

HALF-TIME

Czech Republic 0-0 Poland

Greece 1-0 Russia

Written By: warped on 06/16/12 at 2:37 pm

Maybe Poland should grab Podolski and Klose from Germany to help their cause. ::)

Written By: Henk on 06/16/12 at 4:23 pm

HALF-TIME

Czech Republic 0-0 Poland

Greece 1-0 Russia

FULL TIME

Czech Republic 1 - 0 Poland

Greece            1 - 0 Russia

Quite a shocker for Russia...they're out! :o Czech Republic and Greece are through to the quarter finals.

Written By: Paul on 06/17/12 at 12:57 pm

Quite a shocker for Russia...they're out! :o Czech Republic and Greece are through to the quarter finals.

Considering the start they had...very shocking!

That's also one of the host nations out...can the shaky mighty England knock out the other?  ;)

Big, big game for the Netherlands tonight - they simply must put several past Portugal...

(I shouldn't worry about Denmark too much, they've got enough to cope with!)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/17/12 at 1:28 pm

by the way...

England women played Netherlands women in the Euro 2013 qualifier in Salford and the referee's whistle has just blown for full time.

England women beat Netherlands women 1-0 in Euro 2013 qualifier in Salford

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/17/12 at 1:34 pm

Considering the start they had...very shocking!

That's also one of the host nations out...can the shaky mighty England knock out the other?  ;)

Big, big game for the Netherlands tonight - they simply must put several past Portugal...

(I shouldn't worry about Denmark too much, they've got enough to cope with!)
There are questions within the big questions that also need answering tonight? One being, will the real Cristiano Ronaldo show up for Portugal? During the game with Denmark, Danish fans tweaked his nerves by chanting the name of his rival in Spanish football, Lionel Messi. Ronaldo wouldn't let it lie (oh, he just would not let it lie!). "Do you know where Messi was this time last year?," he said. "He was being knocked out of the Copa America on home soil with Argentina. I think that's worse."

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/17/12 at 1:35 pm

LINE-UPS: Denmark v Germany (19:45 BST)

Denmark: Andersen, Jacobsen, Kjaer, Agger, Simon Poulsen, Kvist Jorgensen, Eriksen, Jakob Poulsen, Zimling, Krohn-Delhi, Bendtner. Subs: Lindegaard, Christian Poulsen, Rommedahl, Bjelland, Okore, Schone, Silberbauer, Pedersen, Wass, Kahlenberg, Mikkelsen, Schmeichel.

Germany: Neuer, Bender, Hummels, Badstuber, Lahm, Khedira, Schweinsteiger, Muller, Ozil, Podolski, Gomez. Subs: Wiese, Gundogan, Schmelzer, Howedes, Schurrle, Klose, Mertesacker, Kroos, Gotze, Reus, Zieler.

Referee: Carlos Velasco Carballo (Spain)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/17/12 at 1:36 pm

LINE-UPS: Portugal v Netherlands (19:45 BST)

Portugal: Rui Patricio, Joao Pereira, Bruno Alves, Pepe, Fabio Coentrao, Meireles, Veloso, Joao Moutinho, Nani, Postiga, Ronaldo. Subs: Eduardo, Custodio, Almeida, Quaresma, Nelson Oliveira, Ricardo Costa, Rolando, Ruben Micael, Varela, Miguel Lopes, Hugo Viana, Beto.

Holland: Stekelenburg, Willems, Mathijsen, Vlaar, Van Der Wiel, Van der Vaart, Nigel De Jong, Sneijder, van Persie, Robben, Huntelaar. Subs: Vorm, Heitinga, Bouma, Van Bommel, Kuyt, Schaars, Strootman, Luuk De Jong, Narsingh, Afellay, Boulahrouz, Krul.

Referee: Nicola Rizzoli (Italy)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/17/12 at 1:44 pm

I have just work out that the Dutch National Anthem sounds like the Christmas Carol "O Little Town Of Bethlehem".

Written By: warped on 06/17/12 at 1:45 pm

I'm hoping Netherlands/Portugal will be a fantastic game. Not quite as much drama as Manchester City winning last month, but close to that.

Written By: warped on 06/17/12 at 1:48 pm

I have just work out that the Dutch National Anthem sounds like the Christmas Carol "O Little Town Of Bethlehem".

"O little town of Amsterdam
Thy red light district glows
Through all canals east and west
Some hooker is getting some dough."

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/17/12 at 1:57 pm

I'm hoping Netherlands/Portugal will be a fantastic game. Not quite as much drama as Manchester City winning last month, but close to that.
Netherlands have just scored, Van der Vaart

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/17/12 at 2:02 pm

Netherlands have just scored, Van der Vaart
Game and group on. It took just a bit more than 10 minutes for the Netherlands to storm into the lead. And it is a storming goal as well. Arjen Robben passes square to Rafael van der Vaart, who takes a touch and curls a cracking shot past Rui Patricio into the far corner. The Dutch are half-way to completing their side of the bargain. As it stands, though, it is Germany and Denmark going through.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/17/12 at 2:12 pm

GOAL: Denmark (Michael Krohn-Dehli) 1-1 Germany

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/17/12 at 2:16 pm

GOAL: Portugal (Cristiano Ronaldo) 1-1 Netherlands

Cristiano Ronaldo has not really shone yet at Euro 2012, but he may just have got his side a crucial goal. Joao Pereira flicks a pass through to the Real Madrid striker, who has beaten the defence, and he makes no mistake with a strong finish. It has been coming as well. Portugal have responded very well to goping behind. Portugal back in the qualification places.

Written By: Henk on 06/17/12 at 2:32 pm

HALF TIME

Portugal 1 - 1 The Netherlands

No, I don't think it's gonna happen. Not the way we're playing right now. It's no wonder we're losing.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/17/12 at 2:33 pm

HALF-TIME: Denmark 1-1 Germany

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/17/12 at 3:11 pm

HALF-TIME: Denmark 1-1 Germany
Podolski scored on his 100th appearance.

Written By: warped on 06/17/12 at 3:33 pm

2-1 Portugal in extra time. If Netherlands can score 4 goals in 3 minutes, they'll be alright. ::)

Written By: Henk on 06/17/12 at 3:56 pm

2-1 Portugal in extra time. If Netherlands can score 4 goals in 3 minutes, they'll be alright. ::)

Three goals in four minutes would've been sufficient. ;) But no... ::)

Am I utterly disappointed? Nah, not really. We just weren't good enough this time. There was a ray of hope once we got the first (only) one in in this match, but after that we let the Portugese take over. Same thing happened in our previous two games. It's asking for trouble!

Written By: Henk on 06/18/12 at 4:35 am

For what it's worth: we're keeping up a tradition. Vice world champions seldomly make it through first round of a following European championship.
There's some good news too: of all the teams so far that were eliminated with 0 points, we're the best. :-\\

The bad news is: if history is anything to go by, we'll now miss out on WC 2014, Euro 2016 and WC 2018. :( It's not entirely impossible, seeing the current generation of players.

Written By: Paul on 06/18/12 at 6:59 am

For what it's worth: we're keeping up a tradition. Vice world champions seldomly make it through first round of a following European championship.
There's some good news too: of all the teams so far that were eliminated with 0 points, we're the best. :-\\

The bad news is: if history is anything to go by, we'll now miss out on WC 2014, Euro 2016 and WC 2018. :( It's not entirely impossible, seeing the current generation of players.

I'm real disappointed that Holland didn't progress, Henk...seems such a shame considering the wealth of fine players there, but somehow it just didn't 'gel'... :-\\

The question now is, can anyone halt the German juggernaut? And will Herr Low obtain a half-decent hairstyle?

Written By: Henk on 06/18/12 at 7:14 am

I'm real disappointed that Holland didn't progress, Henk...seems such a shame considering the wealth of fine players there, but somehow it just didn't 'gel'... :-\\

Of course, now that we're out the stories come out... Seems like the 'team' wasn't such a team after all. There were tensions, and the 'spirit of WC 2010' was gone. This might explain why 'we' were only playing at 60-70% of our capabilities.
(Think about it...if 'we' had been playing 100% in that final game, you'd expect players to tumble over at the final whistle. Instead, they all we standing tall...)

The question now is, can anyone halt the German juggernaut? And will Herr Low obtain a half-decent hairstyle?

Two words (that will answer both questions): Christiano Ronaldo.

Written By: Paul on 06/18/12 at 1:24 pm

Of course, now that we're out the stories come out... Seems like the 'team' wasn't such a team after all. There were tensions, and the 'spirit of WC 2010' was gone. This might explain why 'we' were only playing at 60-70% of our capabilities.

Hmm...spooky echoes of England's 2010 World Cup bid... ::)

Written By: Henk on 06/18/12 at 3:10 pm

Hmm...spooky echoes of England's 2010 World Cup bid... ::)

There's been talk of a 'leak' to the press (after what was supposed to be a non-public training session), although nobody wants to name names. But the more I think about it...just how many times was Huntelaar given a useable pass? ??? ::)

Written By: Henk on 06/18/12 at 4:28 pm

Group C results...

Croatia 0 - 1 Spain

Italy    2 - 0 Republic of Ireland

These results mean Spain and Italy go through. Not really a surprise there.

Written By: Paul on 06/18/12 at 4:41 pm

Group C results...

Croatia 0 - 1 Spain

Italy    2 - 0 Republic of Ireland

These results mean Spain and Italy go through. Not really a surprise there.

I dunno, there were one or two scary moments for Spain before they scored...

It all means that should all go okay for England tomorrow, they'll be facing one of these two...nice!

Written By: warped on 06/18/12 at 5:46 pm

All the usual suspects ( except Netherlands) have gone through so far. But with Portugal, Netherlands & Germany in the same group, that was the group of death this time.  I expect England & France to go through, tomorrow.

It all means that should all go okay for England tomorrow, they'll be facing one of these two...nice!

England Vs Italy/Spain & France vs Italy/Spain will be like a final in the quarter finals.

Written By: Henk on 06/19/12 at 5:34 am

Scary moments, yes. But no goals, and that's what counts in the end.

Which team would you prefer? ???

Written By: Paul on 06/19/12 at 6:19 am

Which team would you prefer? ???

If it was guaranteed they would be playing like they were yesterday...Spain!  :D

Depends what England side you get...if it's 'good' England, they're more than capable of holding their own against anyone, but if it's 'bad' England...well, the last WC campaign should tell you all you need to know!  ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/12 at 7:59 am

Big matches tonight!

England v Ukraine

Sweden v France

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/12 at 10:36 am

Breaking news from the very busy disciplinary office at UEFA.

The Croatian Football Federation have been fined 80,000 euros (£64,561) for "the setting-off and throwing of fireworks and the improper conduct of supporters (racist chants, racist symbols)" at Thursday's match against Italy.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/12 at 10:38 am

England will go through with a win tonight, and they will progress as group winners if they pick up three points and France fail to beat Sweden.

A draw against Ukraine will also secure qualification, and England will progress as group winners if France lose to Sweden.

If both final group games end in a draw, France will qualify as group winners courtesy of their superior goal difference over Roy Hodgson's men.

If England lose tonight, they will be out if France win or draw against Sweden.

If both England and France lose the team which has the superior goal difference between the pair will qualify.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/12 at 10:53 am

It's hard to believe that it is eight long years since the then Everton teenager Wayne Rooney exploded on to the world stage at Euro 2004 - bagging four goals in the group stage before a broken foot saw him limp out of the quarter-final.

He hasn't scored in a tournament since. Which is incredible.

Is this his time?

Written By: warped on 06/19/12 at 11:00 am

It's hard to believe that it is eight long years since the then Everton teenager Wayne Rooney exploded on to the world stage at Euro 2004 - bagging four goals in the group stage before a broken foot saw him limp out of the quarter-final.

He hasn't scored in a tournament since. Which is incredible.

Is this his time?

I didn't realize he hasn't scored in that long. He's overdue.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/12 at 11:02 am

I didn't realize he hasn't scored in that long. He's overdue.
The same is for me, he has scored many a good goal for Manchester United, and in my opinion, he should play tonight.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/12 at 11:24 am

For those of you keeping across the France v Sweden game tonight, there will be a minute's silence before the game to honour legendary French commentator Thierry Roland, who passed away on Friday night aged 74.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/12 at 12:59 pm

LINE-UPS: England v Ukraine (19:45 BST)

England: Hart, Johnson, Terry, Lescott, Cole, Milner, Gerrard, Parker, Young, Rooney, Welbeck. Subs: Green, Kelly, Walcott, Henderson, Carroll, Baines, Jones, Jagielka, Downing, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Defoe, Butland.

Ukraine: Pyatov, Gusev, Khacheridi, Selin, Rakitskiy, Yarmolenko, Tymoschuk, Konoplianka, Garmash, Devic, Milevskiy. Subs: Koval, Kucher, Shevchenko, Aliev, Voronin, Shevchuk, Rotan, Seleznyov, Mykhalyk, Nazarenko, Butko, Goryainov.

Referee: Viktor Kassai (Hungary)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/12 at 1:00 pm

LINE-UPS: England v Ukraine (19:45 BST)

England: Hart, Johnson, Terry, Lescott, Cole, Milner, Gerrard, Parker, Young, Rooney, Welbeck. Subs: Green, Kelly, Walcott, Henderson, Carroll, Baines, Jones, Jagielka, Downing, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Defoe, Butland.

Ukraine: Pyatov, Gusev, Khacheridi, Selin, Rakitskiy, Yarmolenko, Tymoschuk, Konoplianka, Garmash, Devic, Milevskiy. Subs: Koval, Kucher, Shevchenko, Aliev, Voronin, Shevchuk, Rotan, Seleznyov, Mykhalyk, Nazarenko, Butko, Goryainov.

Referee: Viktor Kassai (Hungary)
England make one change as Wayne Rooney returns from suspension to start up front in place of Andy Carroll. Despite suggestions to the contrary, Theo Walcott - who came on to score and create a goal against Sweden - has to make do with being on the bench again as James Milner retains his place.

The big news from the Ukraine team is that talisman Andriy Shevchenko does not start. Coach Oleg Blokhin rated the striker as 50/50 and the former Chelsea player has failed to prove his fitness. Artem Milevskiy replaces Shevchenko in one of two changes in attack, which also sees Marko Devic replace Andriy Voronin. In other changes from the team that lost to France, Yaroslav Rakitskiy replaces Taras Mykhalyk in defence and Denys Garmash comes in for Serhiy Nazarenko in midfield.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/12 at 1:00 pm

Sweden v France (19:45 BST)

Sweden make two changes from the defeat by England. Striker Ola Toivonen and midfielder Emir Bajrami come in for the rested Johan Elmander and the ill Rasmus Elm.

France also make a couple of tweaks to their starting line-up after beating Ukraine last time out. Midfielders Hatem Ben Arfa and Yann M'Vila replace goalscorers Jeremy Menez and Yohan Cabaye, who had been struggling with a thigh injury.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/12 at 1:44 pm

LINE-UPS: Sweden v France (19:45 BST)

Sweden: Isaksson, Granqvist, Mellberg, Jonas Olsson, Martin Olsson, Svensson, Kallstrom, Larsson, Ibrahimovic, Bajrami, Toivonen. Subs: Wiland, Lustig, Elm, Elmander, Hysen, Antonsson, Wernbloom, Safari, Holmen, Wilhelmsson, Rosenberg, Hansson.

France: Lloris, Debuchy, Rami, Mexes, Clichy, Nasri, Diarra, M'Vila, Ben Arfa, Ribery, Benzema. Subs: Mandanda, Evra, Cabaye, Valbuena, Giroud, Matuidi, Reveillere, Menez, Malouda, Martin, Koscielny, Carrasso.

Referee: Pedro Proenca (Portugal)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/12 at 2:34 pm

HALF-TIME

England 0-0 Ukraine
Sweden 0-0 France

Written By: Henk on 06/19/12 at 2:41 pm

HALF-TIME

England 0-0 Ukraine
Sweden 0-0 France

Everything still open! (Not for Sweden, because they're already out)

Written By: warped on 06/19/12 at 3:04 pm

Sweden 1-0, attempting to push France out.

Written By: warped on 06/19/12 at 3:41 pm

Finals: England 1, Ukraine 0
Sweden 2, France 0

England will play Italy, France will play Spain. It's obvious no one will watch those games due to lack of interest in all countries involved. ::)

Written By: Henk on 06/19/12 at 4:35 pm

Finals: England 1, Ukraine 0

And once again there's controversy over a goal. Yes, it WAS a goal (for Ukraine) - for all the world to see, but the linesman (especially appointed for this daunting task) failed to notice. I hope he will be expelled from all competitions, as he's clearly not equipped for his task.
That doesn't help Ukraine much, I know.

Sweden 2, France 0

Not quite what the French had in mind.

England will play Italy, France will play Spain. It's obvious no one will watch those games due to lack of interest in all countries involved. ::)

Quite interesting matches, no doubt. I'll be watching.

Written By: Paul on 06/19/12 at 11:58 pm

And once again there's controversy over a goal. Yes, it WAS a goal (for Ukraine) - for all the world to see, but the linesman (especially appointed for this daunting task) failed to notice. I hope he will be expelled from all competitions, as he's clearly not equipped for his task.

Goal-line technology HAS to happen!

That doesn't help Ukraine much, I know.

Didn't help us in the last WC, so nice to see a bit of luck land on our side for once!  ;)

Another workman-like, if scrappy England performance...not sure if this will be enough to topple the Azzurri, so I'm hoping they manage to turn it on - they know what they're capable of...

Forgot to mention...get past the Italians and it'll be a semi-final with Germany! Deep joy!  ::)

(Not wishing to small change the Greeks, but...)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/20/12 at 12:37 pm

The FA is fined 5,000 Euros by UEFA for inappropriate conduct of fans during the game against Sweden

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/21/12 at 12:44 pm

TODAY:

Czech Republic v Portugal (19:45 BST)

(Czech Republic won Group A and Portugal second in Group B)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/21/12 at 12:45 pm

BREAKING TEAM NEWS

The Czech Republic make one change from the team that beat Poland 1-0, with Valdimir Darida in for Daniel Kolar to play the Tomas Rosicky role.

Portugal are unchanged from the side that beat the Netherlands 2-1.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/21/12 at 12:57 pm

The roof has been closed at the National Stadium in Warsaw in anticipation of heavy rain tonight. Sods law that the sun is currently shining. Better safe than sorry, though.

The officials tonight are our good old English boys, so Howard Webb et al are out on the pitch doing an inspection. The besuited Webb is wearing a headset making him look a bit like a bouncer. Or an incredibly butch Britney backing dancer.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/21/12 at 1:26 pm

LINE-UPS: Czech Republic v Portugal (19:45 BST)

Czech Republic: Cech, Gebre Selassie, Sivok, Kadlec, Limbersky, Hubschman, Plasil, Jiracek, Darida, Pilar, Baros. Subs: Lastuvka, Suchy, Hubnik, Necid, Rezek, Rosicky, Petrzela, Rajtoral, Kolar, Pekhart, Lafata, Drobny.

Portugal: Rui Patricio, Joao Pereira, Pepe, Bruno Alves, Fabio Coentrao, Meireles, Veloso, Joao Moutinho, Nani, Postiga, Ronaldo. Subs: Eduardo, Custodio, Almeida, Quaresma, Nelson Oliveira, Ricardo Costa, Rolando, Ruben Micael, Varela, Miguel Lopes, Hugo Viana, Beto.

Referee: Howard Webb (England)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/21/12 at 1:26 pm

MORE BREAKING TEAM NEWS

Czech Republic captain Tomas Rosicky is again ruled out with an Achilles injury, so Vladimir Darida is handed a start in behind lone striker Milan Baros. Viktoria Plzen man Darida replaces Daniel Kolar in the only change from the side which beat Poland 1-0.

Portugal coach Paulo Bento names an unchanged side from the XI which beat Netherlands 2-1 to secure their progress. Cristiano Ronaldo is one of eight players across the two starting line-ups who are on a booking - one more tonight and they would miss the semi-final.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/21/12 at 1:31 pm

TODAY:

(Czech Republic won Group A and Portugal second in Group B)

The Quarter-Finals begin!

It is the start of the knockout stages.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/21/12 at 2:13 pm

YELLOW CARD

Portugal - Nani

A foul on David Limbersky earns Nani a booking.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/21/12 at 2:14 pm

YELLOW CARD

Portugal - Miguel Veloso

Veloso is late lunging in on Vladimir Darida and is the second Portugal player into the book in quick succession.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/21/12 at 2:36 pm

HALF-TIME : Czech Republic 0-0 Portugal

Written By: warped on 06/21/12 at 4:10 pm

So Portugal is off to the semi finals with a 1-0 victory over the Czech's. Cristiano Ronaldo scored the only goal of the game midway through the 2nd half.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/22/12 at 12:49 pm

TODAY:

Germany v Greece (19:45 BST)

(Germany won Group B and Greece second in Group A)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/22/12 at 12:50 pm

TODAY:

Germany v Greece (19:45 BST)

(Germany won Group B and Greece second in Group A)
"Hoping for some 'Greece Lightening'. C'mon Greece!"

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/22/12 at 12:52 pm

BREAKING TEAM NEWS

Germany's front three of Mario Gomez, Thomas Mueller and Lukas Podolski have been given the night off by coach Joachim Loew. Is this a safe gamble or will Loew regret it?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/22/12 at 1:13 pm

LINE-UPS: Germany v Greece (19:45 BST)

Germany: Neuer, Boateng, Hummels, Badstuber, Lahm, Schweinsteiger, Khedira, Reus, Ozil, Schurrle, Klose. Subs: Wiese, Gundogan, Schmelzer, Howedes, Podolski, Muller, Bender, Mertesacker, Kroos, Gotze, Gomez, Zieler.

Greece: Sifakis, Torosidis, Papastathopoulos, Kyriakos Papadopoulos, Tzavelas, Makos, Maniatis, Ninis, Katsouranis, Samaras, Salpingidis. Subs: Chalkias, Malezas, Liberopoulos, Mitroglou, Fotakis, Gekas, Fortounis, Fetfatzidis, Tzorvas.

Referee: Damir Skomina (Slovenia)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/22/12 at 1:27 pm

Germany make four changes from the side which beat Denmark 2-1. Jerome Boateng returns from suspension to replace Lars Bender at right-back, while coach Joachim Loew makes the bold decision to rest his front three. Miroslav Klose is in for Mario Gomez through the middle, with Andre Schurrle taking Thomas Mueller's place and Marco Reus in for Lukas Podolski.

Greece make two changes. Grigoris Makos takes the place of suspended captain Giorgos Karagounis in midfield, and winger Sotiris Ninis is preferred to Fanis Gekas.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/22/12 at 1:41 pm

Historically, the Germans are on to a winner in Gdansk. They are unbeaten in eight previous games (including when they were West Germany) against Greece, winning five. The only previous meeting at a European Championship was a group match that finished 0-0 in 1980.

Written By: warped on 06/22/12 at 1:45 pm

BREAKING TEAM NEWS

Germany's front three of Mario Gomez, Thomas Mueller and Lukas Podolski have been given the night off by coach Joachim Loew. Is this a safe gamble or will Loew regret it?

Lots of goal scoring power to leave off the field at the same time. If Germany loses the game ( doubtful), coach may receive his walking papers. I except a few of those in as subs in the 2nd half, if required.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/22/12 at 1:46 pm

Angela Merkel has only gone and got herself a plum seat next to Michel Platini. I was thinking she'd be in the thick of it on row K, swinging a scarf round her head. I'm disappointed to see she's also opted for a paint-free face. On Platini's other side are the Greek contingent. He might have to play peacemaker.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/22/12 at 2:13 pm

YELLOW CARD

Greece - Giorgios Samaras

Samaras' third wild challenge of the night - this time on Schweinsteiger - earns him the game's first booking. He's enthusiastic the Greek striker, but that was a bit too enthusiastic.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/22/12 at 2:37 pm

HALF TIME

Germany 1-0 Greece

Germany have their goal and Joachim Loew has his medication. It is a belter as well. Full-back Philipp Lahm (39 minutes) comes forward and unleashes a shot from 25 yards that swerves and dips into the far corner of the goal. Remember the one he scored in the first game of the 2006 World Cup? Like that. It is so good Angela Merkel is out of her seat.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/22/12 at 3:01 pm

GOAL

Germany 1-1 Greece (Giorgios Samaras)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/22/12 at 3:07 pm

GOAL

Germany 1-1 Greece (Giorgios Samaras)
Unbelievable. Utterly unbelievable. Against all odds Greece are level. The goal was made by a driving run down the right and a superb cross from Dimitris Salpingidis that puts a finish on a plate for Giorgios Samaras from four yards out. The Greek fans erupt in utter delirium. Their joy, matched by German disbelief. I can't believe I'm writing these words but, game on.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/22/12 at 3:09 pm

GOAL

Germany (Sami Khedira) 2-1 Greece

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/22/12 at 3:11 pm

GOAL

Germany (Sami Khedira) 2-1 Greece
Well, that didn't last long. Just over five minutes after conceding the equaliser, Germany power ahead again. Power being the operative word. Jerome Boateng finds space on the right to cross and while his delivery beats Miroslav Klose it drops perfectly for Sami Khedira to volley into the roof of the net from 12 yards out. The Germans re-assert their authority. Greece have done it once. They'll have to do it all over again.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/22/12 at 3:13 pm

YELLOW CARD

Germany - Bastian Schweinsteiger

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/22/12 at 3:14 pm

GOAL

Germany (Miroslav Klose) 3-1 Greece

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/22/12 at 3:20 pm

GOAL

Germany (Miroslav Klose) 3-1 Greece
Mesut Ozil's free-kick from the right draws out the Greek keeper but he gets nowhere near and Miroslav Klose rises to nod home. Poor marking from Kyriakos Papadopoulos, but a superb finish. That is Klose's 64th international goal in the country of his birth and it surely books them a semi-final spot.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/22/12 at 3:20 pm

GOAL

Germany (Marco Reus) 4-1 Greece

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/22/12 at 3:32 pm

GOAL

Germany (Marco Reus) 4-1 Greece
What a hit! Miroslav Klose is played in by Mesut Ozil but his shot is blocked by Michalis Sifakis, but this only loops the ball back to Marco Reus to blast a volley off the underside of the bar and in. That was a strike that screamed confidence. The Greece goal seemed to have given them hope but in truth all it did was reawaken the Germans. This could now get embarrassing for the Greeks.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/22/12 at 3:38 pm

PENALTY Greece

Vassilis Torossidis's cross from the left strikes Jerome Boateng's arm as he turns away from the ball in the box. You can't dispute that it struck his arm but he wasn't looking at the ball. I think that is harsh.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/22/12 at 3:38 pm

GOAL

Germany 4-2 Greece (Dimitris Salpingidis, 89 mins)

Dimitris Salpingidis makes no mistake, tucking his penalty in to the right-hand corner of Manuel Neuer's net as the keeper dives left. It is nothing but a consolation for the Greeks.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/22/12 at 3:39 pm

Result: Germany 4-2 Greece

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/22/12 at 3:44 pm

Looks like Greece are out of the Euro.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/23/12 at 7:02 am

Russia fined for a third time at by UEFA for fans' behaviour in the Euro 2012 Group A match against Greece

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/23/12 at 12:48 pm

TODAY:

Spain v France (19:45 BST)

(Spain won Group C and France second in Group D)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/23/12 at 12:49 pm

LINE-UPS: Spain v France (19:45 BST)

Spain: Casillas, Arbeloa, Pique, Sergio Ramos, Jordi Alba, Xavi, Busquets, Alonso, Silva, Fabregas, Iniesta. Subs: Valdes, Albiol, Javi Martinez, Juanfran, Pedro, Torres, Negredo, Mata, Llorente, Santi Cazorla, Jesus Navas, Reina.

France: Lloris, Reveillere, Rami, Koscielny, Clichy, M'Vila, Debuchy, Cabaye, Malouda, Ribery, Benzema. Subs: Mandanda, Evra, Valbuena, Giroud, Nasri, Matuidi, Menez, Diarra, Martin, Ben Arfa, Carrasso.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/23/12 at 12:50 pm

LINE-UPS: Spain v France (19:45 BST)

Spain: Casillas, Arbeloa, Pique, Sergio Ramos, Jordi Alba, Xavi, Busquets, Alonso, Silva, Fabregas, Iniesta. Subs: Valdes, Albiol, Javi Martinez, Juanfran, Pedro, Torres, Negredo, Mata, Llorente, Santi Cazorla, Jesus Navas, Reina.

France: Lloris, Reveillere, Rami, Koscielny, Clichy, M'Vila, Debuchy, Cabaye, Malouda, Ribery, Benzema. Subs: Mandanda, Evra, Valbuena, Giroud, Nasri, Matuidi, Menez, Diarra, Martin, Ben Arfa, Carrasso.

Xabi Alonso, Alvaro Arbeloa and Jordi Alba are all treading a fine line for Spain tonight - a booking would rule them out of any potential semi-final.

For France, Mathieu Debuchy is the only man in the starting XI on a booking.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/23/12 at 1:23 pm

TODAY:

Spain v France (19:45 BST)

(Spain won Group C and France second in Group D)

Winners to play Portugal in semi-final

Written By: warped on 06/23/12 at 1:53 pm

I'm pulling for Spain here, simply because the Spain/Portugal rivalry is a heated one.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/23/12 at 1:57 pm

Iker Casillas is winning his 135th cap for Spain tonight. He's only 31. Could the goalkeeper reach 200 caps?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/23/12 at 2:15 pm

GOAL

Spain (Xabi Alonso, 19 mins) 1-0 France

What was I saying? Spain attack down the left this time, Andres Iniesta frees Jordi Alba who does brilliantly to beat his man and stand up a teasing cross to the back post where Xabi Alonso arrives like a modern day David Platt to plant a header back across goal and into the net. Lovely goal

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/23/12 at 2:21 pm

YELLOW CARD FOR SPAIN

Sergio Ramos

Ramos is caught out by Real Madrid team-mate Karim Benzema and cynically checks his run

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/23/12 at 2:32 pm

HALF-TIME

Spain 1-0 France

Written By: Henk on 06/23/12 at 3:41 pm

HALF-TIME

Spain 1-0 France

FULL-TIME

Spain 2 - 0 France

A penalty kick (90+1, Xabi Alonso) seals France's fate. Poor performance in general tonight by France.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/24/12 at 7:00 am

England legend Sir Bobby Charlton says England will win Euro 2012 if they beat Italy in Sunday's quarter-final.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/24/12 at 7:01 am

Portgual great Eusebio in a "stable" condition in hospital after undergoing exploratory heart procedure

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/24/12 at 7:03 am

TODAY:

England v Italy (19:45 BST)

(England won Group D and Italy second in Group C)

Written By: Paul on 06/24/12 at 10:18 am

England legend Sir Bobby Charlton says England will win Euro 2012 if they beat Italy in Sunday's quarter-final.

Dementia's finally set in for Sir Bob at last...poor soul!  :(

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/24/12 at 10:30 am

England are expected to be unchanged for Sunday's Euro 2012 quarter-final against Italy in Kiev.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/24/12 at 11:53 am

Several Germany players have openly said they would rather play England than Italy in the semi-finals. "I would prefer England - they suit us better," said Holger Badstuber, while captain Philipp Lahm added: "I would prefer England, just because it would be great to have a classic in the semi-final." Marco Reus concluded: "Rooney is an outstanding player, but we are the better team."

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/24/12 at 12:42 pm

England's roll of penalty dishonour reads as follows:

Lost in 2006 to Portugal, lost in 2004 to Portugal, lost in 1998 to Argentina, lost in 1996 to Germany, lost in 1990 to Germany.

Won in 1996 against Spain.

Scored 21 of a possible 31.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/24/12 at 12:50 pm

England v Italy (19:45 BST)

BREAKING TEAM NEWS

As expected, England manager Roy Hodgson names an unchanged side.

Mario Balotelli starts for Italy.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/24/12 at 12:51 pm

England's roll of penalty dishonour reads as follows:

Lost in 2006 to Portugal, lost in 2004 to Portugal, lost in 1998 to Argentina, lost in 1996 to Germany, lost in 1990 to Germany.

Won in 1996 against Spain.

Scored 21 of a possible 31.
Going back to penalty shoot-out records for a moment, let's look at Italy's record over the years.

Italy lost in 2008 to Spain, lost in 1998 to France, lost the 1994 World Cup final to Brazil, lost a semi-final in 1990 to Argentina, and lost in Euro 1980 to Czechoslovakia.

They did win the 2006 World Cup final over France on spot-kicks though, and also saw off the Netherlands on home turf in 2000.

They have scored 26 of 37 in total.

If we do go to spot-kicks, we could be here all night...

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/24/12 at 1:05 pm

LINE-UPS: England v Italy (19:45 BST)

Italy: Buffon, Abate, Barzagli, Bonucci, Balzaretti, Pirlo, Marchisio, De Rossi, Montolivo, Balotelli, Cassano. Subs: Sirigu, Maggio, Chiellini, Ogbonna, Thiago Motta, Di Natale, Giaccherini, Borini, Giovinco, Diamanti, Nocerino, De Sanctis.

Referee: Pedro Proenca (Portugal)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/24/12 at 2:38 pm

HALF-TIME: England 0-0 Italy

Wayne Rooney is clearly not 100% match fit. But he still looked a menace when England were able to get him on the ball in the final third. This is anyone's game.

Written By: Henk on 06/24/12 at 3:37 pm

FULL-TIME

England 0 - 0 Italy

First game to end in a goalless draw, and first game to go into extra time. I say: prepare for a penalty shoot-out.

Written By: Henk on 06/24/12 at 4:26 pm

And yes, it's a penalty shoot-out.

And yes, of course England lose.

Written By: Paul on 06/24/12 at 4:29 pm

Were you expecting anything less?  ;)

I'm reliably informed that the England team did turn up tonight... ::)

In any event, the Germans must be in seventh heaven!

Written By: warped on 06/24/12 at 4:30 pm

The winner of the England/Italy game might be Germany, who have a few more days of rest than Italy now.
I feel bad for England, but Italy was the better team in the whole.
Germany/Italy. Rematch of the 2006 WC semi's? That was a great game in 2006.

Written By: Henk on 06/25/12 at 3:48 am

Were you expecting anything less?  ;)

Not really. When the game went into extra time I already knew the outcome, but I was too lazy to turn off the telly. ;D :D ;)

I'm reliably informed that the England team did turn up tonight... ::)

In any event, the Germans must be in seventh heaven!

England or Italy, it shouldn't make much difference to the Germans. They'll beat either team hands down.

The winner of the England/Italy game might be Germany, who have a few more days of rest than Italy now.
I feel bad for England, but Italy was the better team in the whole.
Germany/Italy. Rematch of the 2006 WC semi's? That was a great game in 2006.

I'm not much of a Germany fan (being Dutch), but I'm even less of an Italy fan. Both teams are usually not much fun to watch. I'm rooting for Germany this time.

Rematch of the 2006 WC semi's..? I don't think so. Both teams have changed considerably. Only Pirlo and Buffon of the original line-up left on Italian side, I think, and on the German side it's even less: Klose is there alright, but I'm expecting him to start on the bench (again).

Written By: Paul on 06/25/12 at 3:58 am

Not really. When the game went into extra time I already knew the outcome, but I was too lazy to turn off the telly. ;D :D ;)

Wow! Took you that long?  :o

You could see what the game plan was when England 'shut off' midway through the first half...soak up the pressure, try and catch 'em on the break (or set piece) and if all else fails, hope the penalties go in... ::)

One of these days years, we'll learn something... :-\\

Written By: Henk on 06/25/12 at 4:12 am

Wow! Took you that long?  :o

Oh yeah...I'm a glutton for punishment!

You could see what the game plan was when England 'shut off' midway through the first half...soak up the pressure, try and catch 'em on the break (or set piece) and if all else fails, hope the penalties go in... ::)

One of these days years, we'll learn something... :-\\

Somehow these tactics sound awfully familiar...  ::) ...and it never worked for us either!

And for what it's worth: 'your' 1-out-of-7 is still better than 'our' 1-out-of-8. ;) Possibly the only team worse than us is...Madagascar (with 0-out-of-6).

Written By: Henk on 06/27/12 at 3:39 pm

FULL-TIME

Portugal 0 - 0 Spain

Going into extra time...

Written By: Henk on 06/27/12 at 4:29 pm

No goals were scored in extra time, so it's a penalty shoot-out again.

End of story:

Portugal 2 - 4 Spain

Written By: warped on 06/27/12 at 4:31 pm

Spain makes it through on penalties, and advances to the finals.

I think Alves stepping up in the wrong spot threw him off a little. He came up a 2nd time and hit the bar... :(

Can Spain win 2 Euro's and 1 WC in a row? 

By the way ..only 3 Italian players were caught for diving during the Spain/Portugal game.  ::)

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 06/27/12 at 5:32 pm

That was a rather boring game tonight. Not as interesting as expected. England-Italy on Sunday was entertaining!

Written By: warped on 06/28/12 at 3:59 pm

Italy/Germany proced to be an entertaining game for the most part. Italy Wins 2-1.  Germany had scored in the 92nd minute to make it 2-1. The Germans just can't beat Italy for some reason.

Final: Spain Vs Italy, the last two World Cup winners meet.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/30/12 at 7:42 am

UEFA president Michel Platini says the 2020 European Championship could be spread across various cities in Europe.

Written By: warped on 07/04/12 at 6:02 am

Might as well finish this topic with the winner's flag.

Congratulations to Spain for winning this Euro, in addition to the previous World Cup 2010 and Euro 2008. This has never been accomplished before. Perhaps one of the best teams ever.

http://www.theodora.com/flags/new/spain.gif

http://totallycoolpix.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/euro2012Final_spain-italy1.jpg

Check for new replies or respond here...