inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: MLB: The DH turns 40 this year

Written By: warped on 01/24/13 at 1:59 pm

The DH turns 40 this year in MLB. On January 11, 1973, baseball owners agreed to this change in baseball's history by allowing the American League to experiment for three years with a "designated pinch-hitter." The decision to try this in the AL was made after eight of the 12 teams reported losing money and gave managers the option of using this batting replacement for the pitcher. Oakland's Charlie Finley led the charge for the three-year trial with the DH being approved by an 8-4 vote of American League owners.

Do you like the DH rule? Do you wish the NL had or will adopt it in the future? Do you think Baseball was to be played both offensively and defensively by everyone in the game and the DH doesn’t belong?

As someone who remembers what baseball was like before the DH, I’d prefer it to never have come, from a baseball purist point of view.  And I think it’s silly that MLB baseball has been played with a different rule in the AL for 40 years. When I coached little league baseball, no such thing as a DH either. Not sure if that rule still applies.

Subject: Re: MLB: The DH turns 40 this year

Written By: nally on 01/24/13 at 5:43 pm

Well...there are some pros and cons to the D.H.; I don't know where to start. But I am glad that the NL does not utilize it yet (except during interleague play at AL stadiums; and for the All-Star Game, regardless of which league hosts it), as the pitchers (particularly the starters, but if a relief pitcher ever had to bat I'd be fine with that too, even if he represents the potential final out in a crucial situation) should get a fair chance to bat. In fact, many pitchers over the years have proven to be accomplished hitters.

Check for new replies or respond here...