inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: MLB 2013 Season

Written By: nally on 02/10/13 at 5:47 pm

Well...with teams reporting to their training camps this week, and getting ready for spring training... I figured I'd start the thread for this year's Major League Baseball season now.

The regular season begins on the evening of Sunday, March 31, with the Houston Astros playing their inaugural game as an American League team... against the other Texas team, the Rangers. Most other teams will begin the next day. I think this is gonna be an eventful season.

Anyone have any hopes/predictions for certain teams?

Subject: Re: MLB 2013 Season

Written By: nally on 02/21/13 at 7:13 pm

Spring training begins tomorrow in Florida: Tigers at Braves.
Also, in Arizona, there'll be three contests: Reds at Indians, Padres at Mariners, Royals at Rangers.

Written By: warped on 02/21/13 at 7:23 pm

I'm interested to see how the American League east turns out.
I don't know if Boston is any better. I don't know if NYY are a 95 win club. I'm not certain Baltimore will challenge for division title as they did last year. I know Toronto is improved. Tampa still has a good team.

Written By: warped on 02/22/13 at 1:19 pm

Let's not forget Houston has moved in the AL west for the 2013 season.

Some 44 transactions in the off season. Get used to some big names with different teams.

1. Indians acquiring Matt Albers, Trevor Bauer, Bryan Shaw, Drew Stubbs from Dbacks and Reds for Lars Anderson, Tony Sipp, Jason Donald and Shin-Soo Choo
2. Blue Jays acquiring John Buck, Jose Reyes, Emilio Bonifacio, Josh Johnson, Mark Buehrle, and $4M from Marlins for Jeff Mathis, Yunel Escobar, Adeiny Hechavarria, Jake Marisnick, Henderson Alvarez, Anthony DeScalfani, and Justin Nicolino
3. Rays acquiring Wil Myers, Jake Odorizzi, Mike Montgomery, and Patrick Leonard from Royals for James Shields and Wade Davis
4. Mets acquiring Travis d'Arnaud, John Buck, Wulimer Becerra, and Noah Syndergaard from Blue Jays for Mike Nickeas, Josh Thole, and R.A. Dickey
5. Dodgers signing Zack Greinke
6. Nationals signing Dan Haren
7. Yankees re-signing Hiroki Kuroda
8. Nationals acquiring A.J. Cole, Blake Treinen, and PTBNL from Mariners/A's for Michael Morse
9. Nationals acquiring Denard Span from Twins for Alex Meyer
10. Braves acquiring Chris Johnson and Justin Upton from Diamondbacks for Martin Prado, Nick Ahmed, Brandon Drury, Randall Delgado, and Zeke Spruill
11. Reds acquiring Jason Donald and Shin-Soo Choo from Indians for Didi Gregorius and Drew Stubbs
12. Blue Jays signing Melky Cabrera
13. Diamondbacks signing Brandon McCarthy
14. Blue Jays acquiring Mike Nickeas, Josh Thole, and R.A. Dickey from Mets for Travis d'Arnaud, John Buck, Wuilmer Becerra, and Noah Syndergaard
15. Indians signing Michael Bourn
16. Twins acquiring Vance Worley and Trevor May from Phillies for Ben Revere
17. Red Sox signing Mike Napoli
18. Twins acquiring Alex Meyer from Nationals for Denard Span
19. Red Sox signing Koji Uehara
20. Astros acquiring Max Stassi, Chris Carter, and Brad Peacock from Athletics for Jed Lowrie and Fernando Rodriguez
21. Astros acquiring Alex White and Alex Gillingham from Rockies for Wilton Lopez and PTBNL
22. Tigers signing Torii Hunter
23. A's acquiring Chris Young from Diamondbacks for Yordy Cabrera and Cliff Pennington
24. Mariners re-signing Hisashi Iwakuma
25. Tigers re-signing Anibal Sanchez
26. Indians signing Nick Swisher
27. Rays re-signing Joel Peralta
28. Cubs signing Kyuji Fujikawa
29. Giants re-signing Angel Pagan
30. Rangers signing A.J. Pierzynski
31. Red Sox signing David Ross
32. Cubs signing Edwin Jackson
33. Braves signing B.J. Upton
34. Yankees re-signing Andy Pettitte
35. Rays acquiring Yunel Escobar from Marlins for Derek Dietrich
36. Mariners acquiring Kendrys Morales from Angels for Jason Vargas
37. Mets signing Shaun Marcum
38. Pirates signing Francisco Liriano
39. Cubs signing Scott Baker
40. Red Sox signing Jonny Gomes
41. Angels signing Josh Hamilton
42. Blue Jays acquiring Mike Aviles from Red Sox for (manager!) John Farrell, David Carpenter
43. Red Sox signing Ryan Dempster
44. Yankees signing Kevin Youkilis

Written By: warped on 02/27/13 at 8:24 am

Bobby Valentine praises job he did managing the Boston Red Sox
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/bobby-valentine-praises-job-did-managing-red-sox-041327130--mlb.html;_ylt=ArJT_kZI3P_iD7JB6mzrmHtShgM6;_ylu=X3oDMTQ0Z3YwY2hlBG1pdANGRUFUVVJFRCBNZWdhdHJvbiBDQU5BREEgRlAEcGtnAzVhZDBlNDg1LTQyNGItM2MxOS1hYjA4LWFhNDI4MjMyZDQwOQRwb3MDNgRzZWMDbWVnYXRyb24EdmVyAzY2N2Q0MWUyLTgwOWEtMTFlMi1iZjhiLTJjYTE4NjgzMDI2MA--;_ylg=X3oDMTFlcXQ5NzcwBGludGwDY2EEbGFuZwNlbi1jYQRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdAMEcHQDc2VjdGlvbnM-;_ylv=3

::)

Written By: nally on 03/08/13 at 7:24 pm

So it appears that Mariano Rivera intends to call it a career after this year, but he will make his announcement tomorrow...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/yankees/2013/03/07/mariano-rivera-expected-to-announce-plan-to-retire-saturday/1970811/

Written By: warped on 03/08/13 at 7:46 pm

So it appears that Mariano Rivera intends to call it a career after this year, but he will make his announcement tomorrow...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/yankees/2013/03/07/mariano-rivera-expected-to-announce-plan-to-retire-saturday/1970811/

Best closer ever. It's not even debatable. First ballot hall-of-famer.

Written By: warped on 03/21/13 at 10:30 am

I have as many inthe00s karma right now as Ted Williams, Frank Thomas & Willie Mc Covey had HR's.  :D

Written By: nally on 03/21/13 at 10:56 am

Well...opening night is a week and a half away now!! In 10 days, the Texas teams will play the first game of the season...and the next day, most everyone else will start. For my team, the LAD, it's uncertain as to whether Hanley Ramirez will be able to start at SS, due to hurting his thumb in the WBC the other night.

Written By: warped on 03/21/13 at 10:59 am

Yankees and Dodgers play against each other on June 18, 19. That should be fun. Always fun when those 2 teams play each other.

End of July too, they play each other.

Written By: nally on 03/21/13 at 11:00 am

Yankees and Dodgers play against each other on June 18, 19. That should be fun. Always fun when those 2 teams play each other.

That's right, it'll be the Dodgers' first time going to The Bronx since winning the 1981 World Series. Also, the Yankees come to Dodger Stadium at the end of July for a two-game series. ;)

Written By: nally on 03/23/13 at 11:58 am

For my team, the LAD, it's uncertain as to whether Hanley Ramirez will be able to start at SS, due to hurting his thumb in the WBC the other night.

Indeed, Hanley Ramirez will be out for two months and require a surgical operation on his right thumb. :-\\ The Dodgers are considering having Luis Cruz play shortstop and have Juan Uribe play third base. IMO, that's not a good choice, as Uribe has not been very productive during his stint as a Dodger. But he has been hitting pretty well during the spring training. The other option would be to have Cruz play his usual 3B position and put Dee Gordon at SS...

Written By: warped on 03/23/13 at 4:36 pm

Indeed, Hanley Ramirez will be out for two months and require a surgical operation on his right thumb. :-\\ The Dodgers are considering having Luis Cruz play shortstop and have Juan Uribe play third base. IMO, that's not a good choice, as Uribe has not been very productive during his stint as a Dodger. But he has been hitting pretty well during the spring training. The other option would be to have Cruz play his usual 3B position and put Dee Gordon at SS...

I hope the Dodgers find someone better than Uribe to play regular for 2 months. His batting ave is .199 over the last two years.

Written By: nally on 03/23/13 at 11:03 pm

I hope the Dodgers find someone better than Uribe to play regular for 2 months. His batting ave is .199 over the last two years.

I know. Ever since he joined the Dodgers, he's been hurt a lot, and just hasn't been producing at all.

I've been watching tonight's spring training game, and they put in Alfredo Amezaga, a minor-leaguer, at 3B because the announcers said that Uribe's hamstring was bothering him, or something like that. I like Cruz at 3b; he is great there. For SS they could use Dee Gordon, or Elian Herrera (who is a utility player; he can play several different positions). They've also discussed Jerry Hairston Jr. for a 3B option.

Written By: warped on 03/24/13 at 4:15 pm

Yankees acquire Vernon Wells. Good salary dump for the Angels. Yankees get a guy who (?) still can hit for power while some of their stars are on IR. Back to the AL east for Vernon (he played for the Jays from 1999-2010) 

He makes 21 mil this year. Way overpaid.

Written By: nally on 03/24/13 at 11:07 pm

Yankees acquire Vernon Wells. Good salary dump for the Angels. Yankees get a guy who (?) still can hit for power while some of their stars are on IR. Back to the AL east for Vernon (he played for the Jays from 1999-2010) 

He makes 21 mil this year. Way overpaid.

Oh, did this just happen today? First I've heard of it.

Edit: I am looking online and it says that the trade is pending approval as well as a physical.

Guess they've got their outfield set up with the likes of Josh Hamilton, Peter Bourjos, and Mike Trout.

Written By: warped on 03/25/13 at 7:56 am

The trade was annouced over the radio and twitter yesterday. Even Wikipedia had Wells as a member of the Yankees. Guess they have all taken 1 step back on it pending approval.

Written By: nally on 03/25/13 at 11:14 am

The trade was annouced over the radio and twitter yesterday. Even Wikipedia had Wells as a member of the Yankees. Guess they have all taken 1 step back on it pending approval.

I saw a little blurb about it on the MLB Network bottomline this morning; it even says that the deal is pending approval by both sides. Yanks can have him; he should be a good fit for their outfield.

Written By: nally on 03/28/13 at 11:00 pm

Johan Santana may not pitch this year...or even ever again. :o :-\\ He has reportedly torn his pitching shoulder. Similar to the injury that kept him out for the entire 2011 season.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/29/sports/baseball/mets-johan-santana-probably-out-for-the-season.html?_r=0

Written By: warped on 03/29/13 at 4:50 pm

Justin Verlander... Cha Ching!

The seven-year, $180 million contract they guaranteed Verlander on Friday (with a $22 million vesting option that could kick it over $200 million) set a new record for a pitcher.

Written By: nally on 04/01/13 at 11:37 am

So...last night it all began. The Houston Astros, playing their very first game as part of the American League, have been predicted by many to do poorly this year. But last night they defeated the Texas Rangers, 8-2, to start their AL debut off in style.

Written By: ninny on 04/01/13 at 12:29 pm

So...last night it all began. The Houston Astros, playing their very first game as part of the American League, have been predicted by many to do poorly this year. But last night they defeated the Texas Rangers, 8-2, to start their AL debut off in style.

If they are in the American league now, did another team join the National league?

Written By: warped on 04/01/13 at 12:34 pm

If they are in the American league now, did another team join the National league?

Nope.

And as of right now, the undefeated Hosutoin Astros have the best record in baseball.  :D
I'm watching a bit of the Red Sox /Yankees game now.

Written By: nally on 04/01/13 at 12:49 pm

No, they moved to the AL so that the AL and NL would be balanced, at 15 teams each. This also means that all six divisions each have 5 teams. In addition, with an odd number of teams in each league, interleague play will be required throughout the season, beginning with Angels at Reds this afternoon.

Written By: ninny on 04/01/13 at 12:54 pm

Nope.

And as of right now, the undefeated Hosutoin Astros have the best record in baseball.  :D
I'm watching a bit of the Red Sox /Yankees game now.

No, they moved to the AL so that the AL and NL would be balanced, at 15 teams each. This also means that all six divisions each have 5 teams. In addition, with an odd number of teams in each league, interleague play will be required throughout the season, beginning with Angels at Reds this afternoon.

Oh okay Thanks.

Written By: nally on 04/01/13 at 6:59 pm

Final score in Washington D.C.: Bryce Harper 2, Marlins goose-egg. (Harper hit two solo shots for the only runs in the game, and it was enough to ruin Mike Redmond's managerial debut for Miami.)

Written By: nally on 04/01/13 at 7:02 pm

Dodgers won their opener against the defending World Champion San Francisco Giants, 4 to goose-egg. It was a pitcher's duel between Matt Cain and Clayton Kershaw for the first 6 innings; no scoring was done until the 8th inning, when Kershaw hit his first career home run to break a scoreless tie. Three subsequent runs scored in that 8th inning off Giants relief pitching. Kershaw went on to throw a complete-game shutout, allowing four hits and walking nobody.

Written By: warped on 04/01/13 at 7:48 pm

Dodgers won their opener against the defending World Champion San Francisco Giants, 4 to goose-egg. It was a pitcher's duel between Matt Cain and Clayton Kershaw for the first 6 innings; no scoring was done until the 8th inning, when Kershaw hit his first career home run to break a scoreless tie. Three subsequent runs scored in that 8th inning off Giants relief pitching. Kershaw went on to throw a complete-game shutout, allowing four hits and walking nobody.

If Kershaw stays healthy, he has a good chance at the Cy Young.  I'm not looking at the Giants repeating this year. How many times in the last 20 years have teams won back to back. Not often.
Red Sox clobber Yanks today. Is this the year the NYY finally aren't a contender? Wait and see.

Written By: nally on 04/01/13 at 10:02 pm

If Kershaw stays healthy, he has a good chance at the Cy Young.

Yep; hopefully he'll be in the running, just like two years ago when he won it. Be nice to see him win it again.

I'm not looking at the Giants repeating this year. How many times in the last 20 years have teams won back to back. Not often.

Nope...the Yankees are the only team to have accomplished the feat in that time span (three in a row, 1998-2000). The last team besides them to win back to back WS titles was the Blue Jays in 1992-93; they haven't reached the postseason since then, but people have been talking about them being in the postseason hunt this year. We'll see what happens...

Red Sox clobber Yanks today. Is this the year the NYY finally aren't a contender? Wait and see.

With some of their best players sidelined (including Jeter), they could. But we won't know for sure until the season plays on.

Written By: nally on 04/02/13 at 6:50 pm

Okay, every team has a game in the books at this moment except for the Toronto Blue Jays and Cleveland Indians, who are playing each other in Progressive Field right now.

Written By: warped on 04/02/13 at 6:58 pm

Okay, every team has a game in the books at this moment except for the Toronto Blue Jays and Cleveland Indians, who are playing each other in Progressive Field right now.

Yes, the game is going on right now. 2nd inning. R.A. Dickey's debut. They are actually in Toronto, and not Progressive Field in Cleveland.

Written By: nally on 04/03/13 at 5:49 pm

Yes, the game is going on right now. 2nd inning. R.A. Dickey's debut. They are actually in Toronto, and not Progressive Field in Cleveland.

Oh yes, that's right. I don't know why I thought it was at the other place. Yes, it was Toronto... but Dickey's debut with his new team did not go so well.

Neither did Hyun-Jin Ryu's MLB debut. Dodgers got goose-egged. 8-P

Written By: warped on 04/03/13 at 7:42 pm

Oh yes, that's right. I don't know why I thought it was at the other place. Yes, it was Toronto... but Dickey's debut with his new team did not go so well.

Neither did Hyun-Jin Ryu's MLB debut. Dodgers got goose-egged. 8-P

Dickey's knuckleball confused the Jays catcher. He had 3 passed balls yesterday. Rumor has it that the Jays have signed the NHL Toronto Maple Leafs goalie to catch for when Dickey pitches.  :D

Written By: nally on 04/04/13 at 11:06 am

So...as of this moment, the NL and the AL are both 1-1 in interleague play for 2013. The rubber game between the Angels and Reds kicks off in less than an hour.

Written By: nally on 04/04/13 at 4:01 pm

So...as of this moment, the NL and the AL are both 1-1 in interleague play for 2013. The rubber game between the Angels and Reds kicks off in less than an hour.

And the Reds have won that game...without having to play the bottom of the 9th this time.

Written By: warped on 04/04/13 at 8:44 pm

And the Reds have won that game...without having to play the bottom of the 9th this time.

So unusual to start the season with interleague play. Is that the 1st time teams began the season with interleague play?

Written By: nally on 04/05/13 at 3:11 pm

So unusual to start the season with interleague play. Is that the 1st time teams began the season with interleague play?

Yes, it is. This is because the NL and AL each have an odd number (15) of teams.

This weekend, the Royals and Phillies will face off in Philadelphia. It'll be like a 1980 World Series rematch.

Written By: warped on 04/05/13 at 3:35 pm

Yes, it is. This is because the NL and AL each have an odd number (15) of teams.

This weekend, the Royals and Phillies will face off in Philadelphia. It'll be like a 1980 World Series rematch.

1980 was an interesting year. That was the year George Brett (of KC) hit .390  Yankees had the best record in baseball, but Baltimore was really good too, I think they both won 100 games (No wild card yet so Baltimore's year ended after 162 games). KC won their divsion by a whole lot. NL west was a 3 team race all year (Cin, L.A, Hou) with Houston winning. The NL east had my Expos come real close to beating the Phillies that year, but they lost the division by 1 game.

Written By: nally on 04/05/13 at 8:02 pm

1980 was an interesting year. That was the year George Brett (of KC) hit .390  Yankees had the best record in baseball, but Baltimore was really good too, I think they both won 100 games (No wild card yet so Baltimore's year ended after 162 games). KC won their divsion by a whole lot. NL west was a 3 team race all year (Cin, L.A, Hou) with Houston winning. The NL east had my Expos come real close to beating the Phillies that year, but they lost the division by 1 game.

And...I was born!

On my birth date, I know that the Dodgers beat the Astros by a score of 3-2, with Dusty Baker hitting the only Dodger home run. Jerry Reuss was the winning pitcher, and the late Steve Howe (who struggled with drug addiction over time) got the save. This I know from researching in the past. This info can also be found on websites that contain information about past MLB games, such as baseball-almanac.com and retrosheet.org... complete with boxscores.

Written By: warped on 04/05/13 at 8:21 pm

Forgot to mention also a match between teams that at one point were home to the A's  (Philadelphia A's until the mid 50s, and Kansas City A's until 1967)

And...I was born!

On my birth date, I know that the Dodgers beat the Astros by a score of 3-2, with Dusty Baker hitting the only Dodger home run. Jerry Reuss was the winning pitcher, and the late Steve Howe (who struggled with drug addiction over time) got the save. This I know from researching in the past. This info can also be found on websites that contain information about past MLB games, such as baseball-almanac.com and retrosheet.org... complete with boxscores.

If that game was on TV nationally, I may have watched it.  I saw Reuss pitch for Pittsburgh at Jarry Park, must have been 1973 to 1976 ish.

Reuss was good, I think he won over 200 games over his career. Dodgers had a good pitching staff in the 70s and 1980s.  Such stars as Valenzuela, Sutton, Tommy John, Reuss pitched during those eras.

Written By: nally on 04/05/13 at 8:29 pm

Forgot to mention also a match between teams that at one point were home to the A's  (Philadephia Ai's until the mid 50s, and Kansas City A's until  1967)

That's true, they were there in between moves. And the A's themselves played in both cities (Philly and KC!) before finally moving to Oakland.

If that game was on TV nationally, I may have watched it.  I saw Reuss pitch for Pittsburgh at Jarry Park, must have been 1973 to 1976 ish.

Probably not; it was a Friday. But then again I don't know how often weeknight ballgames were televised back then.

Reuss was good, I think he won over 200 games. Dodgers had a good pitching staff in the 70s and 1980s.  Such stars as Valenzuela, Sutton, Tommy John, Reuss pitched during those eras.

Of those guys, I remember Fernando Valenzuela the best. He was a really good pitcher during the 1980s for my team. And into 1990 (his final season with them, when he tossed a no-no against STL). Now he's a Spanish-language announcer for the Dodgers.

Written By: warped on 04/05/13 at 8:34 pm

Probably not; it was a Friday. But then again I don't know how often weeknight ballgames were televised back then.

No, there wasn't a Friday game televised back them. Saturday there was.   

Written By: nally on 04/05/13 at 8:36 pm

No, there wasn't a Friday game televised back them. Saturday there was. 

So there might've been a game televised on July 12th that year.

Anyhoo, 33 years later, the KC Royals gave the Phillies, who were playing their home opener today, a bad time, 13-4.

Written By: warped on 04/05/13 at 9:23 pm

With Washington losing 15-0 tonight, no more undefeated teams left. That's kind of strange, after just 4 games.

If Miami holds on against NYM, then every team will have won one game (at least) as well.

Written By: nally on 04/06/13 at 12:54 am

...and Miami hung on to win. Now every team has at least one win and at least one loss.

My team, LAD, is break-even again at 2-2, with Zack Greinke striking out 6 and walking nobody over 6 1/3 innings in his Dodger debut. Matt Kemp finally has a hit to his name this year; he got himself a double in the 6th inning. Also, Andre Ethier homered early in the game to become the first Dodger non-pitcher (IOW, position player) with a home run this year. Altogether, Dodgers blanked the Pittsburgh Pirates, 3-goose egg.

Written By: nally on 04/13/13 at 3:25 pm

I've been gone for a week and no one's updated the baseball thread??

While I was away, I did find out that Thursday night's Dodgers-Padres game had some unpleasant drama involving Zack Greinke hitting Carlos Quentin with a pitch. This caused Quentin to charge the mound and physically attack Greinke, triggering a huge brawl between the teams... and ending up with Greinke's collarbone getting seriously damaged; he will likely be out for two months. :( In addition, Quentin will be suspended eight games for his actions.

Also, in Toronto, it looks like Jose Reyes will also be out a while...

Written By: warped on 04/13/13 at 3:50 pm

While I was away, I did find out that Thursday night's Dodgers-Padres game had some unpleasant drama involving Zack Greinke hitting Carlos Quentin with a pitch. This caused Quentin to charge the mound and physically attack Greinke, triggering a huge brawl between the teams... and ending up with Greinke's collarbone getting seriously damaged; he will likely be out for two months. :( In addition, Quentin will be suspended eight games for his actions.

I saw the highlights of that. A broken collar bone takes a long time to heal.

Also, in Toronto, it looks like Jose Reyes will also be out a while...

Sprained Ankle. It wasn't pretty to watch.

Written By: nally on 04/13/13 at 3:54 pm

I saw the highlights of that. A broken collar bone takes a long time to heal.

Sprained Ankle. It wasn't pretty to watch.

Yeah, I found out about it that evening on the TV in my stateroom; there was an ESPN channel on the system. Incidentally, we had been in port in San Diego that day (visiting a couple of missions, which I will discuss in detail later on), and the ship left port a couple hours before the game started.

Written By: warped on 04/13/13 at 3:59 pm

Yeah, I found out about it that evening on the TV in my stateroom; there was an ESPN channel on the system. Incidentally, we had been in port in San Diego that day (visiting a couple of missions, which I will discuss in detail later on), and the ship left port a couple hours before the game started.

Welcome back. I'm sure I will read about your trip in another area of inthe00s.

Written By: nally on 04/14/13 at 10:24 pm

Dud-gers had some opportunities to score runs, but never did...and hence never gave any run support to starter Josh Beckett, who pitched into the 9th inning...and gave up the only run of the game to the Errorzona Demonbacks. >:(

Also, are the Atlanta Knaves Braves ever gonna lose again? They're off to a fantastic start thus far, having lost only one game in the first two weeks of the regular season.

Written By: nally on 04/16/13 at 11:08 pm

Welcome back. I'm sure I will read about your trip in another area of inthe00s.

You can read all about it in reply #134 in the April 2013 discussion thread in PPP. :)

Written By: nally on 04/16/13 at 11:11 pm

Meanwhile, today is the first day of the season in which more than one interleague game is played. The matchups are as follows: Arizona @ NYY (a 2001 World Series rematch), KC @ Atlanta, and Tex @ ChiCubs.

Braves won their game to continue their hot start to the season, Wankees took the first game of their series, and the Rangers defeated the Cubs.

Written By: nally on 04/16/13 at 11:37 pm

P.S. I'm so disgusted with my team, the L.A. DUD-gers, right now. I know it's early in the season, but tonight's game was a disaster from the first inning on. Padres, a team that was 2 and 10 coming into this series, is getting the UPPER HAND on the L.A.D., and THEY are scoring all the runs. Dodgers are getting next to NOTHING! >:( They can't seem to hit their way out of a paper bag. And that REALLY frustrates me to no end. No one likes to see their team playing like dudu. If they don't start playing like the team they're supposed to be, then they're gonna end up as cellar dwellers. >:( >:(

If only Zack Greinke hadn't gotten beaten up by Carlos Quittin', things might be better tonight. Instead we're stuck with Chris Crapuano until June, or until we're in the basement, or something can be done about a satisfactory temporary replacement for Greinke.

/end rant...but there might be more later...

Posts I see on Facebook ranting about the situation:

Wow go down Dodger line up all you see is goose eggs all the way down.... "o"fer "o"fer"o"fer, Mattingly needs to move matt kemp way down in batting order, his numbers say it all, maybe this will make him want to play better, so far I am unimpressed with this season, after such a busy offseason making all that noise, looks good on paper, but on the field it shows, just that, as much as I hate to say it Giants are way better ball club than the Dodgers at this point... make me believe otherwise....

Come on dodgers lets win win win. and go to the world series. its our time blue time..

We are no longer losing to inferior teams...WE ARE THE INFERIOR TEAM.

Written By: warped on 04/17/13 at 7:51 am

P.S. I'm so disgusted with my team, the L.A. DUD-gers, right now. I know it's early in the season, but tonight's game was a disaster from the first inning on. Padres, a team that was 2 and 10 coming into this series, is getting the UPPER HAND on the L.A.D., and THEY are scoring all the runs. Dodgers are getting next to NOTHING! >:( They can't seem to hit their way out of a paper bag. And that REALLY frustrates me to no end. No one likes to see their team playing like dudu. If they don't start playing like the team they're supposed to be, then they're gonna end up as cellar dwellers. >:( >:(

If only Zack Greinke hadn't gotten beaten up by Carlos Quittin', things might be better tonight. Instead we're stuck with Chris Crapuano until June, or until we're in the basement, or something can be done about a satisfactory temporary replacement for Greinke.

/end rant...but there might be more later...

I'd understand the rant if they were 35 games out of first with a 22-68 record. But Dodgers are playing .500 baseball, 3 games out of first. We are still in april. Only 8.6% of the season has been played. 148 games left.  So much time to turn it around. No need to panic or get that upset.
They will come around. Matt Kemp won't hit anywhere near . 185 by the end of the season and they have some great pitching. 

Written By: nally on 04/18/13 at 12:10 am

Yeah, I know it's early in the season and all, but it still frustrates me, a fan, to see them playing so dang far below expectations, at any point in the season. Some people who've posted on facebook tonight (many of whom have deemed the situation as "UNACCEPTABLE", in all caps, just like that, and I agree with them, with good reason) think the manager, Don Mattingly, might be to blame, or the newly-acquired hitting coach. I myself don't know for sure.

re pitching: Kershaw is their ace and he started tonight, but he kinda fell apart in the 4th inning. Gave up the goahead runs (tisk tisk) and it's been a mega struggle for his team to erase that deficit. (But at least they didn't lay a goose-egg in the run column themselves.) They've also got Ryu, who seems to be doing pretty well so far in his first season in MLB, and Billingsley still seems decent.

I hope they can play well in Baltimore this weekend; rumor is that AJ Ellis will be DH-ing, which I think is a good move, considering they've replaced Crapuano on their active roster with backup-backup catcher Tim Federowicz.

Oh, speaking of interleague play, the Braves finally lost their second game of the season... 1-zip to Kansas City.

Written By: nally on 04/18/13 at 10:29 pm

Derek Jeter is reportedly going to be out until after the All-Star break; apparently his fractured ankle still has a small crack in it. I actually thought he was improving, as he played some in spring training, but I guess he still needs more time to let it heal.

Written By: warped on 04/19/13 at 3:39 pm

Red Sox game postponed tonight (So is the Bruins game) because of what is happening in Boston. All this coz of one guy.

Written By: nally on 04/19/13 at 8:16 pm

^ Yup, I've been hearing about that. If only those stupid attacks hadn't occurred...

Written By: nally on 04/21/13 at 5:52 pm

So the Cleveland Indians gave the Houston Astros a good pounding yesterday, 19-6. The bulk of those runs came in the early innings.

As for my team, the LAD, they got beat in both games of a doubleheader yesterday, but they turned things around today, halting their losing skid at 6 games and averting a sweep in Baltimore. Glad they were able to salvage a game there. :) (They won't go there again until 2019, or 2016 if they play 2-and-2 with the O's that year (two games in Dodger Stadium, two in Camden Yards, like they're doing with the Yankees this year).)

Written By: nally on 04/21/13 at 5:55 pm

Red Sox game postponed tonight (So is the Bruins game) because of what is happening in Boston. All this coz of one guy.

^ Yup, I've been hearing about that. If only those stupid attacks hadn't occurred...

I happened to catch part of yesterday's pregame ceremonies in Fenway Park on TV yesterday. And the Sox won their first home game since the attacks. Not so much earlier today, though, as the Royals evened up the series. The postponed game will be made up tonight (in fact, not too long from now).

Written By: ninny on 04/21/13 at 8:25 pm

So do you think MLB will try to go to any other cities? Are there any that are doing poorly that may lose their team? I've always wondered if they would try another team in Canada.

Written By: nally on 04/22/13 at 12:16 am

Well they did have the Montreal Expos, but after 36 seasons in Canada they moved to Washington DC and became the Nationals. Not sure if any existing team will eventually move anywhere else at the moment; it is hard to know at this time.

Written By: warped on 04/22/13 at 1:01 am

If MLB will try Montreal again, Montreal requires 2 things first. A new baseball-first stadium and committed ownership. The Big-O isn't baseball friendly enough. I think the highest # of fans Montreal has ever drawn in 1 year is just below 2.4 Million. At times they drew less than 1 million a year.  In 1994 the Expos had the best record in baseball, yet their attendance ranked 19th out of 28 teams    :(

Not promising.

There are baseball fans in MTL Not sure if MTL could support an MLB team. What might help is to put MTL and TOR in the same division. Natural rivalry. Can't hurt to have NYY and BOS in that division either.

Written By: ninny on 04/22/13 at 5:46 am

Well they did have the Montreal Expos, but after 36 seasons in Canada they moved to Washington DC and became the Nationals. Not sure if any existing team will eventually move anywhere else at the moment; it is hard to know at this time.

If MLB will try Montreal again, Montreal requires 2 things first. A new baseball-first stadium and committed ownership. The Big-O isn't baseball friendly enough. I think the highest # of fans Montreal has ever drawn in 1 year is just below 2.4 Million. At times they drew less than 1 million a year.  In 1994 the Expos had the best record in baseball, yet their attendance ranked 19th out of 28 teams    :(

Not promising.

There are baseball fans in MTL Not sure if MTL could support an MLB team. What might help is to put MTL and TOR in the same division. Natural rivalry. Can't hurt to have NYY and BOS in that division either.

Yeah I knew Montreal didn't draw enough people, so I don't think they would try going back there, but what about cities in the western part of Canada like Vancouver or Edmonton or is there no market out there.I know Canada sends a Little League team every year to the series so I just wondered.

Written By: warped on 04/22/13 at 7:51 am

Yeah I knew Montreal didn't draw enough people, so I don't think they would try going back there, but what about cities in the western part of Canada like Vancouver or Edmonton or is there no market out there.I know Canada sends a Little League team every year to the series so I just wondered.

Edmonton: Population about 1 million. It's quite up north. Playing there in April (or early May) and October, it might snow...hard... ;D  Lots of weather challenges. I doubt MLB will look there.

Vancouver: Population 2.5 Million, roughly. MLB would look at it. But because of the failure of the Grizzlies (5 or 6 years in the NBA..relocated to Memphis), MLB may be tentative to go.  Natural rivalry with Seattle though (3 hour drive) and already many Vancouverites are Mariner fans and travel there for games.

MLB's best bet in Canada is still Montreal. Population about 3.6 Mil. Second largest city in Canada. There have been rumours but Montreal requires a new baseball-first stadium and committed ownership.

I think there are other US cities ahead of any Canadian cities, such as somewhere in Jersey, San Antonio, Portland, Charlotte. I've even heard Vegas is an option.

Written By: ninny on 04/22/13 at 10:00 am

Edmonton: Population about 1 million. It's quite up north. Playing there in April (or early May) and October, it might snow...hard... ;D  Lots of weather challenges. I doubt MLB will look there.

Vancouver: Population 2.5 Million, roughly. MLB would look at it. But because of the failure of the Grizzlies (5 or 6 years in the NBA..relocated to Memphis), MLB may be tentative to go.  Natural rivalry with Seattle though (3 hour drive) and already many Vancouverites are Mariner fans and travel there for games.

MLB's best bet in Canada is still Montreal. Population about 3.6 Mil. Second largest city in Canada. There have been rumours but Montreal requires a new baseball-first stadium and committed ownership.

I think there are other US cities ahead of any Canadian cities, such as somewhere in Jersey, San Antonio, Portland, Charlotte. I've even heard Vegas is an option.

Yeah I didn't think that Edmonton through to good ;D
Baseball in Vegas, I wonder if you can bet on that :D

Written By: nally on 04/22/13 at 11:22 am

yep, that would make sense. However, there is obviously more of a love for hockey in Canada (including the western part of the country), as it is home to several NHL franchises.

Written By: warped on 04/22/13 at 11:59 am

yep, that would make sense. However, there is obviously more of a love for hockey in Canada (including the western part of the country), as it is home to several NHL franchises.

Canada has 7 NHL franchises. If it were up to Gary Butthead, we'd have none.  :P

There is huge love for Hockey in Canada. I'm not even sure what is the 2nd most popular team sport in Canada. Is in NFL? NBA? MLB? CFL? Not really sure.

Montreal and Toronto will always be hockey towns first. Even if the Blue Jays would win 17 World Series in a row and the Leafs finish last every year of those 17 years, it's still a hockey town.

The Blue Jays still draw OK. Back in 1991 the Blue Jays were the first MLB team to draw 4 million fans in one year (I was actually at the game when they passed the 4 million mark. )

Written By: nally on 04/23/13 at 5:56 pm

Chad Billingsley: not going to pitch again until sometime in the 2014 season. He will undergo Tommy John Surgery tomorrow.

Written By: warped on 04/23/13 at 6:44 pm

Chad Billingsley: not going to pitch again until sometime in the 2014 season. He will undergo Tommy John Surgery tomorrow.

Tough break for L.A. He usually gives them 30 starts & 10 to 15 wins a year I think.

Written By: nally on 04/24/13 at 11:41 am

Tough break for L.A. He usually gives them 30 starts & 10 to 15 wins a year I think.

Well he has been a quality starter since he first came up in 2006 (although relegated to the bullpen at first). But then in 2010, Clayton Kershaw (who remains undefeated in his career against the Mets despite giving up two runs to them in yesterday's game) started to emerge as an ace. Still, Billingsley has done well for the most part, although he did falter a bit last year, and went on the DL twice, and even ended last season on the DL, choosing not to have surgery just yet (even though he probably should have). Guess he learned the hard way.

Written By: nally on 04/27/13 at 1:00 pm

In yesterday's only interleague game (Atlanta Braves at Detroit Tigers), Tigers pitcher Anibal Sanchez went 8 innings, striking out 17 batters and allowing no runs at all, en route to a 10-0 victory over the Braves. The Tigers did all their scoring in the early innings, the bulk of it off Braves starter Paul Maholm.

As for my local teams... let's start with the Dodgers. They won a home game against the Milwaukee Brewers for the first time since May 2011, 7-5, to get back up to the .500 mark (11-11). The Angels also won their game in Seattle, defeating Aaron Harang and the Mariners, 6-3. Harang is now goose-egg and three as a member of the Mariners, with an ERA well over 11. Personally, I'm glad the Dodgers got rid of him.

Written By: warped on 04/27/13 at 2:23 pm

In yesterday's only interleague game (Atlanta Braves at Detroit Tigers), Tigers pitcher Anibal Sanchez went 8 innings, striking out 17 batters and allowing no runs at all, en route to a 10-0 victory over the Braves. The Tigers did all their scoring in the early innings, the bulk of it off Braves starter Paul Maholm.

As for my local teams... let's start with the Dodgers. They won a home game against the Milwaukee Brewers for the first time since May 2011, 7-5, to get back up to the .500 mark (11-11). The Angels also won their game in Seattle, defeating Aaron Harang and the Mariners, 6-3. Harang is now goose-egg and three as a member of the Mariners, with an ERA well over 11. Personally, I'm glad the Dodgers got rid of him.

I will watch more baseball when the NHL season is over. The NHL playoffs begin in 3 days or so. Best time of the year for me if now (first round of NHL playoffs and baseball starting) or October (NHL season starts and baseball season winds down)

I've watched some Jays games. John Gibbons might not last the season with the way his team is playing. It's still early though.

Written By: nally on 04/28/13 at 7:51 pm

Glad to see the Dodgers take two of three from the Brew Crew this weekend. (They could have swept the series by winning last nite and giving spot starter Matt Magill his first major league win, but the bullpen couldn't hold it down.) Best of all in today's game, Clayton Kershaw went 8 innings, struck out a dozen, and did not walk anybody. Over a stretch of six innings, he retired the whole lineup twice through (18 straight batters). The only runs in the game were solo home runs by Carl Crawford.

Written By: nally on 05/01/13 at 12:37 am

Hanley Ramirez: back in the Dodger lineup tonight. He slugged his first home run of the season to help the LAD to a 6-2 win over the Colorado Rockies (who gave L.A. a nasty pounding, 12-2, last night, due in part to some bad pitching from Ted Silly and Josh Wall). LAD starter Hyun-Jin Ryu struck out a dozen batters over 6 innings.

Written By: nally on 05/04/13 at 4:03 pm

And now, Hanley is going back onto the DL, thanks to a huge baserunning blunder in last nite's game against the Jints. He tried advancing from first to third but was thrown out trying to go there; he twisted a hamstring in the process and had to come out of the game. >:(

Written By: warped on 05/04/13 at 4:41 pm

And now, Hanley is going back onto the DL, thanks to a huge baserunning blunder in last nite's game against the Jints. He tried advancing from first to third but was thrown out trying to go there; he twisted a hamstring in the process and had to come out of the game. >:(

I saw that, Hanley injured again. At least LA Dodgers doing better than the Blue Jays, Jays are now 10-21. The Toronto media who picked them to win the division, now can do facepalms... ;D

Written By: nally on 05/04/13 at 8:35 pm

I saw that, Hanley injured again. At least LA Dodgers doing better than the Blue Jays, Jays are now 10-21. The Toronto media who picked them to win the division, now can do facepalms... ;D

I know; when they acquired R.A. Dickey in the offseason, they probably figured he'd help them achieve success...but he's not done well at all so far. He was handed another loss today.

Dodgers also wasted several scoring opportunities last nite and came up short in the 9th inning, when Posey hit a walkoff solo HR off of Ronald Beli-SORRY-o. Hopefully they're doing better tonight. I should go watch the game.

Written By: warped on 05/05/13 at 2:51 pm

Miguel Cabrera, who won the triple crown last year in the AL, is leading the AL in batting average & RBI's again this year.

2 Triple Crowns in a row?  :o :o

Not likely.

Written By: warped on 05/06/13 at 10:48 am

The good news for the Houston Astros: They do not have the worst record in the National League this year.
The bad news for the Houston Astros: They have the worst record in the American League this year.

Written By: nally on 05/06/13 at 4:54 pm

Yep...they're the Lastros, once again. Do they have the worst record in the entire Major League??

Edit: Yup, it appears so. They are the only team still with single-digits in the win column.

Written By: nally on 05/08/13 at 11:15 pm

my team: cellar dwellers/losers of too many in a row. Me unhappy. >:( Part of the problem, I think, lies in the pitching (particularly, the inability of certain pitchers to avoid giving up runs). I know it's still fairly early in the season, but it's still frustrating.

Written By: warped on 05/09/13 at 10:41 am

my team: cellar dwellers/losers of too many in a row. Me unhappy. >:( Part of the problem, I think, lies in the pitching (particularly, the inability of certain pitchers to avoid giving up runs). I know it's still fairly early in the season, but it's still frustrating.

Doesn't help that the Dodgers are next to last in runs scored per game (Miami is last). That and injuries to starting pitchers are their 2 problems.

It doesn't help you lost Greinke, Billingsley & Lilly to injuries. Kershaw can't do it himself. 

Written By: nally on 05/09/13 at 4:08 pm

No he can't. Billingsley won't be pitching again until at least May 2014, given that he just had TJ Surgery two weeks ago. Ted Silly is another matter; he hasn't been helpful at all this year. Greinke would not have gotten injured if only Carlos Quentin had not gone after him like a little kid and beaten up on him; there was no excuse for that. He should have just walked to first base like any batter who gets HBP. And he's expected to be out at least through next month; there's no telling when his collarbone will get healed or when he can start throwing again.  Also, many people on Facebook believe Mattingly may get fired as manager pretty soon, due to his managerial decisions that end up costing the team so many games...but who's gonna replace him if he does?

Written By: warped on 05/10/13 at 5:50 am

Also, many people on Facebook believe Mattingly may get fired as manager pretty soon, due to his managerial decisions that end up costing the team so many games...but who's gonna replace him if he does?

What do you think the Dodgers should do?  Should they fire their manager? Make a trade? Who would you replace Mattingly with?

Written By: nally on 05/10/13 at 12:16 pm

What do you think the Dodgers should do?  Should they fire their manager? Make a trade? Who would you replace Mattingly with?

The question is who would anyone (particularly, the party responsible for firing of a manager) replace Mattingly with?

Written By: warped on 05/10/13 at 12:20 pm

The question is who would anyone (particularly, the party responsible for firing of a manager) replace Mattingly with?

Since you are a huge fan, what do you think they should do? Keep Mattingly or replace him?

Written By: nally on 05/10/13 at 12:26 pm

Since you are a huge fan, what do you think they should do? Keep Mattingly or replace him?

If it were me, I'd probably be inclined to fire him, but I don't know who I'd replace him with at the moment; somebody would at least have to be an "interim" manager. I'd also get rid of certain pitchers, such as Brandon League, who is not very good at all at getting the job done.

Written By: warped on 05/10/13 at 12:36 pm

If it were me, I'd probably be inclined to fire him, but I don't know who I'd replace him with at the moment; somebody would at least have to be an "interim" manager. I'd also get rid of certain pitchers, such as Brandon League, who is not very good at all at getting the job done.

When a team fires a manager, they usually plan ahead somewhat and have an idea who will take over. Sometimes it's someone within the organisation, sometimes it's someone outside the org. There are many candidates that management will consider and interview.

If you want my opinion,  I'd keep Mattingly for now. Here's why: Not his fault that all these players (Zack Greinke, Chad Billingsley, Hanley Ramirez, Mark Ellis, Jerry Hairston and Ted Lilly) have been injured. Losing several starting pitchers like that, nothing Mattingly can do. Let's see what he does when all the players return & he has a healthy lineup to work with. Makes sense?

I do think the Dodgers should replace League as a closer. Jansen is my choice. Give him a chance.

Written By: nally on 05/10/13 at 12:38 pm

Yeah, I think Jansen is a better option as a closer, although he, too, makes his share of boo-boos. Just not as much as League.

Written By: nally on 05/11/13 at 1:16 am

I heard a report that Zack Greinke was going to make a rehab start for the Dodgers' Class-A Rancho Cucamonga (which he did) and is expected to be back sooner than initially anticipated, possibly being reactivated by next week. Personally, I think it's a bit too soon; only he knows for sure if he's a hundred percent. When he does fully recover, I hope he can help my team finally win some more.

Written By: warped on 05/11/13 at 7:24 am

I heard a report that Zack Greinke was going to make a rehab start for the Dodgers' Class-A Rancho Cucamonga (which he did) and is expected to be back sooner than initially anticipated, possibly being reactivated by next week. Personally, I think it's a bit too soon; only he knows for sure if he's a hundred percent. When he does fully recover, I hope he can help my team finally win some more.

Yeah, Dodgers have lost...what is it now..8 in a row?  They need their starting pitchers to return.  Greinke would need medical clearance to pitch anyways. So if the doctor's approve it, then he can try to pitch.

Written By: nally on 05/11/13 at 12:28 pm

Yeah, Dodgers have lost...what is it now..8 in a row?  They need their starting pitchers to return.

Yup, and that's a huge disappointment. They took an early 3-zip lead on a home run by Adrian Gonzalez, but they couldn't keep that lead. Disgraceful!

Greinke would need medical clearance to pitch anyways. So if the doctor's approve it, then he can try to pitch.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

Written By: nally on 05/12/13 at 12:23 am

I am so glad that L.A. finally won again. 8) :) O0 :D They scored 7 total runs, including a solo homer by Dee Gordon (his 2nd in his career), and the Marlins only scored 1 run.

Written By: warped on 05/12/13 at 6:08 am

I am so glad that L.A. finally won again. 8) :) O0 :D They scored 7 total runs, including a solo homer by Dee Gordon (his 2nd in his career), and the Marlins only scored 1 run.

3 teams who have been in a terrible slump and have underachieved this year all won yesterday. The LA Angels, The Toronto Blue Jays and the Dodgers.

Written By: nally on 05/12/13 at 8:34 pm

3 teams who have been in a terrible slump and have underachieved this year all won yesterday. The LA Angels, The Toronto Blue Jays and the Dodgers.

And my team won again today, to take two of three from the Marlins. They also capitalized on another loss by the Padres in Tampa Bay, in an attempt to hopefully get out of the cellar.

Written By: warped on 05/13/13 at 7:11 am

And my team won again today, to take two of three from the Marlins. They also capitalized on another loss by the Padres in Tampa Bay, in an attempt to hopefully get out of the cellar.

Hey Jeff, Here's a good article for you to read on Mattingly, and why the writer doesn't think he should be fired.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/blaming-don-mattingly-for-dodgers--poor-start-is-simple-minded-013711781.html;_ylt=AobG6oee7yF8o81zWfuevStShgM6;_ylu=X3oDMTQ0dDliNmhiBG1pdANGRUFUVVJFRCBNZWdhdHJvbiBDQU5BREEgRlAEcGtnA2FhOWZkOTIyLTQxNDAtMzI2Zi1hMmQ5LWM4ZTAzNmZlM2UwNwRwb3MDMgRzZWMDbWVnYXRyb24EdmVyAzhjOGRmZWUzLWJiNzUtMTFlMi1hN2VmLTAyODcwODRmYjllYg--;_ylg=X3oDMTE5cHE0NjFxBGludGwDY2EEbGFuZwNlbi1jYQRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdAMEcHQDcG1o;_ylv=3

Written By: nally on 05/13/13 at 3:01 pm

^ Thanks. I respect his opinion; he feels Mattingly is not to blame, which I can understand.

The one guy who probably should go is Brandon League; he comes into a game in the 9th and cannot get the guys out in order. And lots of people on Facebook are criticizing him for that, with good reason. "He is just not lights out." "He loses crucial games for us!" "Make Jansen the closer instead!"

Tonight they open up a series against the Washington Nats, who are doing pretty well this year (continuing their success from last year).

Written By: nally on 05/15/13 at 7:45 pm

So I just found out that Greinke will definitely start tonight; birthday boy Josh Beckett has been placed on the DL to clear a roster spot for him.

Written By: nally on 05/16/13 at 10:04 am

So I just found out that Greinke will definitely start tonight; birthday boy Josh Beckett has been placed on the DL to clear a roster spot for him.

...and Greinke went 5 1/3 innings, throwing 83 pitches and allowing only one run (a solo homer to Adam Laroche). Dodgers scored 3 runs of their own to help Greinke earn his second win of the season. O0

In other places, Raul Ibanez returned to Yankee Stadium as a member of the Seattle Mariners and hit two home runs, including a first-inning grand slam, to help beat his old team 12-2.

And the Toronto Blue Jays put up double figures against the visiting San Francisco Giants for two straight games to sweep that series. In both games, the Jays scored at least 5 runs in the first inning. (The counterpart to this series, Blue Jays at Giants, will be played on June 4-5.)

Written By: nally on 05/18/13 at 1:24 pm

Astros returned to Pittsburgh... for a weekend interleague series...and lost the opener 5-4. The Astros are now tied with the Miami Marlins for the worst record in the Major League, at 11-31.

Written By: warped on 05/19/13 at 6:21 pm

I watched parts of some games today, including the last 3 innings of the Braves/Dodger game. L.A. self destructed in the 8th.  Jansen or League are not getting the job done. Maybe they don't pitch well in the rain? I don't know.

Written By: nally on 05/19/13 at 11:45 pm

^Doesn't matter if there's rain or not. Every single game in this series, the Dudgers took a lead into the late innings, but could not keep it.

The Saturday game was the real knocker, with Capuano pitching 7+ shutout innings, and being lifted in the 8th inning in favor of Kenley Jansen, who promptly served up a two-run homer to the first man he faced, thereby obliterating Capuano's strong effort. And of course Craig Kimbrel slammed the door in the 9th. >:( I came across a multitude of livid fan posts on Facebook yesterday regarding this, some of which I will share here because I wholeheartedly agree with them.
There's no reason why he couldn't have pitched the whole game.... "Ohh yes there is my bad.." Don Mattingly... #The-reason-for-Dodgers-failure...Again another stupid move from mattingly The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Mattingly repeated takes out a starter who is on fire whose pitch count isn't a worry, and lets the bullpen lose the game. It's time for mattingly to get the axe

My mom also contributed a comment; I will also share what she had to say:
Bravo to Chris Capuano for his stellar performance on the mound yesterday. He deserved the shut out. I know I was not the only fan throwing things at the television when he was yanked in the 8th.

And I totally agree with this. There is no reason why my team should be losing so many games this early in the season. Especially when they are leading after 7 innings and their starter is doing a good job (and his pitch count doesn't matter).

Written By: nally on 05/20/13 at 12:44 am

Oh my gosh...I just came across this article: http://www.sportscity.com/mlb-news-dodgers-could-be-firing-manager-don-mattingly-soon/2013/05/19/
But he might not be the only one to go... and if he does go, who'll replace him?

On the other hand, I personally don't think this meltdown is entirely his fault, although he has made some costly managerial decisions, including one in Saturday's game that denied Chris Capuano a win.

Written By: warped on 05/20/13 at 6:53 am

Oh my gosh...I just came across this article: http://www.sportscity.com/mlb-news-dodgers-could-be-firing-manager-don-mattingly-soon/2013/05/19/
But he might not be the only one to go... and if he does go, who'll replace him?

On the other hand, I personally don't think this meltdown is entirely his fault, although he has made some costly managerial decisions, including one in Saturday's game that denied Chris Capuano a win.

This is what Capuano told Mattingly after before he pitched the 8th .

"Capuano said he told Mattingly after his last at-bat in the eighth inning to be prepared to pull him out of the game because he had lingering problems with a strained calf.
''It wasn't affecting pitch execution out there,'' Capuano said. ''It just feels a little tired. I've got an extra day before the next start. With treatment and stuff we should be able to get that ready.''

So this probably explains why Mattingly took him out after giving up a hit in the 8th.

Also, not Mattingly's fault that every pitcher he brings in from the bullpen fails. 

Also,  Dodgers are 29th out of 30 teams in runs scored.  You aren't going to win many games if you can't score. Unless the players all hate their manager and are playing poorly on purpose to get him fired, no need to fire Mattingly.

Written By: nally on 05/21/13 at 3:42 pm

Was glad to see Clayton Kershaw go the distance last night in Milwaukee, allowing only one run and three hits in a 3-1 victory over the Brew Crew.

Also, the Twins made their very first visit to Turner Field and lost the opener to the Braves, who had the lead the whole game. (The Twins' only other time in Atlanta was in 1991, for games 3-4-5 of the World Series, but that was at the Braves' old stadium, Atlanta Fulton County, which was dismantled after the 1996 season.)

Written By: nally on 05/22/13 at 11:20 am

Zack Greinke: no longer undefeated at Miller Park.

Written By: warped on 05/22/13 at 12:41 pm

Congrats to Mike Trout, he hit for the cycle yesterday, becomes youngest player in AL history to do so.

Written By: nally on 05/22/13 at 3:56 pm

Congrats to Mike Trout, he hit for the cycle yesterday, becomes youngest player in AL history to do so.

I heard about that...it was a great accomplishment for him. 8) O0

Written By: nally on 05/24/13 at 11:03 pm

The Detroit Tigers' Anibal Sanchez came within two outs of his second career no-hitter...but Joe Mauer broke it up with a single up the middle (9th inning, 1 out). So he had to settle for a one-hit shutout. Still, he got a standing ovation from the crowd.

Written By: warped on 05/25/13 at 6:51 am

I'm saying this again. It's amazing Miguel Cabrera won the triple crown last year. We are near the end of June, he's ahead in batting average and RBIs by a lot, and 2nd in home runs. 

It would be unheard of if he won the triple crown back to back. No one has done that before.

Written By: nally on 05/25/13 at 11:57 am

It would be unheard of if he won the triple crown back to back. No one has done that before.

Most definitely.

Written By: warped on 05/25/13 at 1:06 pm

Most definitely.

I am cheering for him, just because I'd like to see it accomplished.

Written By: nally on 05/25/13 at 1:18 pm

I am cheering for him, just because I'd like to see it accomplished.

I understand. :) I'd kinda like to see it too.

Written By: nally on 05/28/13 at 9:51 am

Dodgers took the opener of the "Freeway Series" (their rivalry with the Angels) 8-7, despite committing three errors. They overcame a 6-1 deficit which would have put Zack Greinke in line for a loss, since he only went four innings. The top contributor to the Dodgers' offense was definitely Adrian Gonzalez, who scored and knocked in several of the team's runs.  They capitalized on a 9-0 Padres loss to get within half a game of escaping the cellar (Padres lost to their former teammate Aaron Harang, who threw a complete game shutout for the Seattle Mariners, something he never did last year in his only season with the Dodgers).

Written By: nally on 05/29/13 at 5:18 pm

I think the big story for yesterday in the world of MLB is probably Mariano Rivera's blown save against the Mets at Citi Field. He took the mound in the bottom of the 9th with a 1-zip lead, but he pitched to three batters, all of whom got a hit off of him. IOW, he never recorded an out. This is the first time in his career that he's taken the mound (in a save opportunity) and hasn't gotten anyone out. So, the Mets won the game 2-1.

According to this article, this kind of situation has happened to four ace relief Hall-Of-Fame pitchers. Goes to show that even they are human.

Written By: nally on 05/31/13 at 12:08 am

Subway Series 2013: Mets sweep. This was their first time in franchise history completing a season series sweep of an opponent in which they play both at home and on the road in the same season.

Baybridge Series 2013 (A's vs. Giants): Giants averted a series sweep this afternoon by winning today, 5-2, at AT&T Park.

Freeway Series 2013: Home team won every game. Dodgers had opportunities to score runs in tonight's game at Angel Stadium, but couldn't cash 'em in. On the plus side, veteran catcher Ramon Hernandez, who served as DH, hit a solo homer.

Written By: warped on 05/31/13 at 7:51 am

Subway Series 2013: Mets sweep. This was their first time in franchise history completing a season series sweep of an opponent in which they play both at home and on the road in the same season.

Baybridge Series 2013 (A's vs. Giants): Giants averted a series sweep this afternoon by winning today, 5-2, at AT&T Park.

Freeway Series 2013: Home team won every game. Dodgers had opportunities to score runs in tonight's game at Angel Stadium, but couldn't cash 'em in. On the plus side, veteran catcher Ramon Hernandez, who served as DH, hit a solo homer.

Your team just lost Kemp to the DL too. Maybe the rest will do him good.

The 2nd best team in MLB today is......

The Pittsburgh Pirates? Yes! 

The last time they had a winning record was...20 years ago I think.I believe that is the longest current streak among MLB teams (# of losing seasons in a row). I'd have to check that though.

Written By: nally on 05/31/13 at 11:19 am

Your team just lost Kemp to the DL too. Maybe the rest will do him good.

Yep, that was announced yesterday; he had hamstring issues, similar to the injury that kept him out last year at this time.

The 2nd best team in MLB today is......

The Pittsburgh Pirates? Yes! 

The last time they had a winning record was...20 years ago I think.I believe that is the longest current streak among MLB teams (# of losing seasons in a row). I'd have to check that though.

You're probably right; they last finished with a winning record 21 years ago, and lost the NLCS that year to the Atlanta Braves. Even in the strike-shortened 1994 season they 'finished' with a losing record. I sure hope they can finish with a winning record this year (although they did have winning records in the middle of the season two years ago and last year, only to go downhill from there); I don't care if they make the postseason, but I would like to see them finish with at least 82 wins.

The longest active streak of a team failing to reach the postseason is 27 years, currently held by the KC Royals, who are trying to avoid extending it to 28 this year. Yesterday they hired Hall-Of-Famer George Brett (who spent his entire playing career with the team) to be their "interim" hitting coach.

Written By: nally on 06/01/13 at 11:55 am

Yesterday's only interleague game, Blue Jays at Padres, went 17 innings before the Pods finally won it walk-off style... and in Cleveland, the Rays-Indians game was delayed by rain for hours, but they were determined to play it...even if it finished at 3am local time (which it did).

Written By: loki 13 on 06/01/13 at 8:47 pm

I saw a play today that defies all logic. The Phillies were trailing the Brewers by a run in the ninth.
Goober Manuel had Kyle Kendrick pinch running. While on second the Brewers used a pick off play
and Kendrick was caught. Or was he? The replay showed that the second baseman dropped the ball,
it slid under Kendrick and into the barehand of the second baseman, who quickly showed the ball to
the umpire. The ump rung him up. Here is why it defies all logic assuming the ump didn't see the drop....

Hey Blue, the guy shown you the ball in his bare hand yet you saw him take the throw with his glove.
How did it get to his bare hand, magic. Know the rules blue, you too Goober Manuel, it is not a force
play were possession of the ball and bag before the runner is enough. A tag must be administered with
the same hand as the ball. Ball in one hand with a tag of the other is not an out.

Sure enough the next pitch was double off the wall that should have tied the game....good job blue.

Written By: warped on 06/02/13 at 11:53 am

I saw a play today that defies all logic. The Phillies were trailing the Brewers by a run in the ninth.
Goober Manuel had Kyle Kendrick pinch running. While on second the Brewers used a pick off play
and Kendrick was caught. Or was he? The replay showed that the second baseman dropped the ball,
it slid under Kendrick and into the barehand of the second baseman, who quickly showed the ball to
the umpire. The ump rung him up. Here is why it defies all logic assuming the ump didn't see the drop....

Hey Blue, the guy shown you the ball in his bare hand yet you saw him take the throw with his glove.
How did it get to his bare hand, magic. Know the rules blue, you too Goober Manuel, it is not a force
play were possession of the ball and bag before the runner is enough. A tag must be administered with
the same hand as the ball. Ball in one hand with a tag of the other is not an out.

Sure enough the next pitch was double off the wall that should have tied the game....good job blue.

I saw that in the sports news. Certainly he was safe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=698sAX3r--w

Terrible call. Good sell job by the Brewers 2B.

eeyup.

Written By: nally on 06/02/13 at 1:11 pm

^ I saw that on MLB Network's Quick Pitch last nite; clearly the ump blew the call...which turned out to be very crucial.

Written By: nally on 06/02/13 at 8:56 pm

^ I saw that on MLB Network's Quick Pitch last nite; clearly the ump blew the call...which turned out to be very crucial.

Hey, a similar thing happened three years ago today in a perfect-game attempt; the 27th Cleveland batter was ruled safe by umpire Jim Joyce, but replays proved otherwise; Joyce was upset after the game over blowing the call, saying "I just cost that kid a perfect game", in reference to then-Tigers pitcher Armando Galarraga.

Written By: warped on 06/02/13 at 9:52 pm

Hey, a similar thing happened three years ago today in a perfect-game attempt; the 27th Cleveland batter was ruled safe by umpire Jim Joyce, but replays proved otherwise; Joyce was upset after the game over blowing the call, saying "I just cost that kid a perfect game", in reference to then-Tigers pitcher Armando Galarraga.

Oh, I remember that missed call. Sure. Ruined the perfect game.

What loki was getting at is the type of call that was missed. Even if the ump didn't see the Brewers 2B drop the ball, he sees him tagging  Kendrick with his glove. Then he shows the ball to the ump in his bare hand. If the ball is in the 2B hand, then it certainly wasn't in the glove when he tagged him. The ump should know better.  As loki wrote (I'm copying from his post)  "A tag must be administered with the same hand as the ball. Ball in one hand with a tag of the other is not an out."

Written By: nally on 06/02/13 at 9:57 pm

What loki was getting at is the type of call that was missed. Even if the ump didn't see the Brewers 2B drop the ball, he sees him tagging  Kendrick with his glove. Then he shows the ball to the ump in his bare hand. If the ball is in the 2B hand, then it certainly wasn't in the glove when he tagged him. The ump should know better.  As loki wrote (I'm copying from his post)  "A tag must be administered with the same hand as the ball. Ball in one hand with a tag of the other is not an out."

And I totally get that. I was just mentioning another notable blown call in general.

Written By: warped on 06/03/13 at 6:22 am

And I totally get that. I was just mentioning another notable blown call in general.

Oh, OK, great nally O0

Maybe the worst call ever was during the 6th game of the 1985 World Series between the KC Royals and the STL Cardinals. ST Louis was 3 outs away from a World Series and were leading 1-0 in the 9th with Jorge Orta came to bat to start off the 9th inning for KC.

He hit a ground ball to 2nd, throw to 1st. He was out by half a step but the ump called him safe. KC rallied in that game, scored 2 runs that inning and won 2-1, they'd win game 7 for their only World Series win to date.

Here's a Canadian sports network "Top 10 blown calls" video. The one I mentioned above is #6 on the list. The (almost) perfect game you mentioned is #2 here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV8yZ-l0PNc

Written By: nally on 06/04/13 at 9:13 am

^ Yes, I remember seeing footage of that 1985 game on specials.

Written By: nally on 06/04/13 at 9:14 am

So... Dodgers top prospect Yasiel Puig, a Cuban defector, made his MLB debut yesterday when Carl Crawford went on the D.L., and went 2-for-4 with the bat, and completed a 9-3 double play to end the game and secure a 2-1 victory for L.A. In addition, spot starter Stephen Fife, filling in for Chris Capuano, picked up his first major league win. O0

Written By: warped on 06/04/13 at 6:31 pm

So... Dodgers top prospect Yasiel Puig, a Cuban defector, made his MLB debut yesterday when Carl Crawford went on the D.L., and went 2-for-4 with the bat, and completed a 9-3 double play to end the game and secure a 2-1 victory for L.A. In addition, spot starter Stephen Fife, filling in for Chris Capuano, picked up his first major league win. O0

Yes I read about him (Mr. Puig) recently. He's gonna be a good one, I think. Did you see the throw he made from basically the outfield wall to throw out a runner going back to first in the 9th?  Wow, what a throw.

Written By: warped on 06/04/13 at 7:52 pm

Just read this on the sports news.

"Major League Baseball will reportedly seek to suspend Ryan Braun, Alex Rodriguez and about 20 players connected to the Biogenesis Clinic in Miami.

According to an ESPN report, Biogenesis founder Tony Bosch has agreed to cooperate with MLB officials and will provide an affidavit that he provided drugs to players.

The Miami New Times reported in January that it had obtained records detailing purchases by Rodriguez, Melky Cabrera, Gio Gonzalez, Bartolo Colon, Nelson Cruz and Yasmani Grandal and more from Biogenesis.

Quinn believes MLB will seek suspensions for both the players' connection to the clinic and, in some cases, lying about use of performance enhancing drugs.

The resulting suspensions could mean bans of 100 games for both Rodriguez and Braun amongst others. A 100-game ban is the standard MLB penalty for a second offence after an initial 50-game substance-abuse ban."

More details will emerge I am sure.

Written By: loki 13 on 06/04/13 at 9:41 pm

Just read this on the sports news.

"Major League Baseball will reportedly seek to suspend Ryan Braun, Alex Rodriguez and about 20 players connected to the Biogenesis Clinic in Miami.

According to an ESPN report, Biogenesis founder Tony Bosch has agreed to cooperate with MLB officials and will provide an affidavit that he provided drugs to players.

The Miami New Times reported in January that it had obtained records detailing purchases by Rodriguez, Melky Cabrera, Gio Gonzalez, Bartolo Colon, Nelson Cruz and Yasmani Grandal and more from Biogenesis.

Quinn believes MLB will seek suspensions for both the players' connection to the clinic and, in some cases, lying about use of performance enhancing drugs.

The resulting suspensions could mean bans of 100 games for both Rodriguez and Braun amongst others. A 100-game ban is the standard MLB penalty for a second offence after an initial 50-game substance-abuse ban."

More details will emerge I am sure.

Braun was nailed once but wasn't he cleared because of a technicality, The guy took the sample home with him
for the weekend or something of that nature? Then he played it off as he was the victim of foul play.

Written By: nally on 06/04/13 at 10:43 pm

Yes I read about him (Mr. Puig) recently. He's gonna be a good one, I think. Did you see the throw he made from basically the outfield wall to throw out a runner going back to first in the 9th?  Wow, what a throw.

Yep, I did watch it. 8)

...and he just hit his very first major league home run in tonight's game! :D :)

Written By: nally on 06/04/13 at 11:23 pm

Yep, I did watch it. 8)

...and he just hit his very first major league home run in tonight's game! :D :)

He just hit another! :D

Written By: warped on 06/05/13 at 11:50 am

He just hit another! :D

If he continues this pace, he will pass Barry Bonds as HR king in about 4 years.

:D

Written By: nally on 06/05/13 at 11:57 am

If he continues this pace, he will pass Barry Bonds as HR king in about 4 years.

He could even be a candidate for NL Rookie Of The Year... but if Kemp and/or Crawford are activated from the DL this summer, then he'll have to go back into the minors. That is, until the first of September, when rosters expand to 40 players.

Written By: nally on 06/07/13 at 1:09 pm

Yasiel Puig hit his first career grand slam in last nite's game against the Atlanta Braves, to help the Dodgers shut them out, 5-zip. Also, Hanley Ramirez was back on the active roster the other night. He didn't start in yesterday's game, but came up as a pinch hitter to walk and load the bases, setting it up for Puig. In addition, this helped Zack Greinke (who threw 117 pitches over 7 innings) to pick up his first win in three weeks. He outdueled Tim Hudson, who pitched well for Atlanta, but had no run support.

Written By: nally on 06/08/13 at 12:11 pm

Dodgers achieved their first walk-off win of the season last nite, 2-1 in the 10th inning, courtesy of a wild pitch by Atlanta Braves reliever Anthony Varvaro.

Written By: nally on 06/09/13 at 12:10 am

Two very long extra-inning affairs were played today.

The Rangers-Blue Jays game went 18 innings, with Toronto finally prevailing 4-3. And the Marlins and Mets played 20 innings before Miami scored in the top of the 20th to defeat NYM 2-1; the Marlins have now won 7 out of 10 games they've played against the Mets this year.

Written By: nally on 06/12/13 at 12:49 pm

In last nite's Dbacks-Dodgers game, several batters were hit by pitches, prompting the teams to go at it after Zack Greinke was HBP in the 7th inning by Ian Kennedy, who was promptly ejected. Dodgers won, 5-3, with new closer Kenley Jansen retiring all Arizona batters in the 9th inning.

Written By: nally on 06/17/13 at 11:11 pm

Max Scherzer: first MLB pitcher in 16 years to win his first 10 decisions of the season.

The last such pitcher to win 10+ games without losing one yet, was Roger Clemens, who went 11-0 in 1997 as a member of the Toronto Blue Jays, before finally losing a game; Clemens also did so 11 years earlier, in 1986 with Boston. That year he won his first 14 decisions before finally losing a game.

Written By: nally on 06/18/13 at 9:07 am

Patrick Corbin of the Arizona Diamondbacks also had a chance to go 10-0 last night, but left the game with the score tied 2-2 against the Marlins and therefore had to settle for a no-decision. The score remained tied until the 9th inning, when Heath Bell gave up a home run to Giancarlo Stanton, giving the Marlins a 3-2 win. This is the first time this year that the Dbacks as a team have lost a game started by Corbin.

Written By: nally on 06/19/13 at 10:20 pm

So...the Dodgers have played the Yankees on the road for the first time since defeating them in the 1981 World Series... and today they played a doubleheader there, due to yesterday's game being rained out. In the first game, the Wankees won 6-4, with ex-Dodger Hiroki Kuroda pitching into the 7th inning to beat his former team. In the nightcap, the Dodgers strung together some good hitting, with Yasiel Puig hitting a solo homer to account for one of L.A.'s six runs...and Chris Capuano, back from the D.L. again, allowed only three hits to the Yankee batters (two of which were infield singles, with the other one resulting in Robinson Cano being thrown out at 2nd base by Andre Ethier) and picked up his second win of the season.

Written By: warped on 06/22/13 at 3:51 pm

The good news for the Blue Jays: They have won 10 games in a row.
The bad news: They are still is last place  (tied for it now)

lol

Written By: nally on 06/22/13 at 9:33 pm

And now every team in that AL East division has a winning record!

Written By: nally on 06/22/13 at 10:05 pm

Also...Max Scherzer improves to 11-0, becoming the first pitcher in 16 years to do so.

Written By: nally on 06/24/13 at 3:58 pm

Blue Jays: 11 wins in a row. :o

Written By: nally on 06/25/13 at 9:17 am

Blue Jays: 11 wins in a row. :o

And last night, that winning streak came to an end, as the Tampa Ray Bays hit three solo home runs to break the Jays' streak. One of the home run hitters in that game was ex-Dodger James Loney, who started out pretty well for L.A. back in 2006, but then he wasn't hitting quite as well.

Written By: warped on 06/26/13 at 10:24 am

Hockey Season ends. My baseball season begins.  :)

I'm still liking Pittsburgh having the 2nd best record in baseball.

Written By: nally on 06/26/13 at 10:58 am

^ Oh yes. I sure hope they can stay above .500 this year; i.e., this be the year that they can finally break out of finishing the seasons with losing records.

My team, the LAD, is still in last place in its division, but they finally have a four-game win streak to their name (although it almost fell apart in the 9th inning). Matt Kemp returned from the DL and got himself a couple of hits...and even made a spectacular catch in center field to end the game.

Written By: nally on 06/26/13 at 7:12 pm

Mark Texiera: done for the season. It was just announced today that he would undergo surgery on his injured right wrist.

Written By: nally on 06/27/13 at 11:53 am

Dodgers completed their first three-game sweep since the first weekend of the season. They overcame a 2-run homer by Buster Posey of the Gints to win 4-2 and give Kershaw his first win since May 20 in Milwaukee. LAD is still in the basement, but only 2 1/2 games behind SF.

Written By: nally on 06/28/13 at 12:19 pm

Dodgers: winners of 6 in a row.

Angels: winners of all their games against the Tigers this year.

Written By: warped on 06/29/13 at 11:26 am

Philly puts up 16 runs against the Dodgers, and you'd think that was the highest scoring team of the night, but Cleveland puts up 19 against the Chi White Sox.

And Max Scherzer is now 12-0. He's the first big-league pitcher with a 12-0 record since Boston's Roger Clemens opened 14-0 in 1986.

Written By: nally on 06/29/13 at 12:08 pm

Philly puts up 16 runs against the Dodgers, and you'd think that was the highest scoring team of the night,

I know, and that game stunk. 8-P I quit watching it after the 5th inning.

but Cleveland puts up 19 against the Chi White Sox.

And at least the Sox lost by a smaller margin (I think).

And Max Scherzer is now 12-0. He's the first big-league pitcher with a 12-0 record since Boston's Roger Clemens opened 14-0 in 1986.

Yay for Max!! :) 8) O0 That is quite impressive.

Written By: warped on 06/29/13 at 12:09 pm

And at least the Sox lost by a smaller margin (I think).

Yes they did. Lost 19-10. Smaller margin percentage wise and # of runs wise too.

Written By: nally on 06/30/13 at 12:51 pm

Dodgers turned things around last night by defeating the Phillies 4-3, walkoff style in the bottom of the 9th. Both starters, Cliff Lee and Hyun-Jin Ryu, went 7 innings and pitched well (and they each threw 100+ pitches), but neither starter factored in the decision...although Ryu would have won and Lee would have lost if Kenley Jansen had preserved L.A.'s 3-2 lead in the top of the 9th. Still, the victory for my team puts them within 5 games of the division-leading AZ Diamondbacks (who lost in Atlanta), even though they are still in last place. However, they are only one game back of the fourth-place Giants, who've lost 6 (?) in a row now.

Written By: nally on 07/01/13 at 3:08 pm

NL West division has the Dodgers still at the bottom, but only 4 games behind the division-leading Diamondbacks.

And the Pittsburgh Pirates, leaders of the NL Central, have the best record in the majors at this point!! Who'da thunk it?

Written By: warped on 07/01/13 at 3:21 pm

And the Pittsburgh Pirates, leaders of the NL Central, have the best record in the majors at this point!! Who'da thunk it?

No one.

NL West division has the Dodgers still at the bottom, but only 4 games behind the division-leading Diamondbacks.

I remember about 1.5 months ago when you thought (after reading some comments over the net) that Mattingly should be fired.  I did say when the started to hit and got their Pitchers back, they'd be fine.  Of course at that time who knew Puig would be so dominating.

Never fire a manager when your team has so many injuries.

They (Dodgers) have a good team. I still think they have a good chance to win the West. Lucky for them the other 4 teams haven't played well recently.

Written By: nally on 07/01/13 at 5:13 pm

In today's "Canada Day" game, played in the daytime, the Blue Jays beat the Detroit Tigers 8-3.

Written By: nally on 07/03/13 at 9:22 am

Homer Bailey: one more no-hitter under his belt. This one was a 3-0 victory over the Giants, who now fall to last place in the NL West!!

Bailey's only other no-hitter was thrown last year, shortly before the end of the regular season (specifically on 28 September 2012).

Written By: nally on 07/05/13 at 4:15 pm

Dodgers are doing well these days, even though they were beat last night in Colorado. Still, that's only their second loss in their last 12 games. Their biggest contributor over the last month has been Yasiel Puig, who was awarded NL Rookie Of The Month for June.

Today they begin their second series of the year in San Fran, and I hope they can win (unlike their previous trip there).

Written By: nally on 07/06/13 at 12:06 pm

And they won last night, 10-2, with ex-Giant Juan Uribe knocking in 7 of the runs. He finished a single shy of hitting for the cycle.

Written By: nally on 07/07/13 at 10:30 pm

Dodgers: in last place a little more than a week ago; in 2nd place now. Padres: were in 2nd place then, but have lost 9 in a row now and they're now in the cellar.

Written By: nally on 07/10/13 at 5:02 pm

Ricky Nolasco's Dodger debut went well last night in Arizona; he only allowed one run and pitched 7 (?) innings. They had acquired him in a trade with Miami not too long ago.

Written By: nally on 07/11/13 at 10:31 am

Dodgers: back at .500 now, having completed a road sweep of the Arizona Diamondbacks, winning the finale 7-5 in 14 innings (on a pair of back-to-back home runs by Hanley Ramirez and AJ Ellis).

Giants: in the basement of the NL West division, having just been swept by the NY Mets; Matt Cain also fails to get through the first inning in what would be the shortest start of his career.

Jeter: back in the NYY lineup today, according to reports.

Darvish: to the DL with a strain in his right trapezius, and not able to participate in next week's All Star game.

Written By: warped on 07/11/13 at 10:44 am

Dodgers: back at .500 now, having completed a road sweep of the Arizona Diamondbacks, winning the finale 7-5 in 14 innings (on a pair of back-to-back home runs by Hanley Ramirez and AJ Ellis).

I'm not surprised to see this. Once the Dodgers changed their closer, once their pitching got healthy and once they started hitting (they were almost last in runs scored for a long time), they would be fine.  And Puig has been amazing and hope he gets to participate in the All-Star game. He's quite the revelation so far. I gather no one wants to fire Mattingly now  :)

Written By: nally on 07/11/13 at 10:47 am

I'm not surprised to see this. Once the Dodgers changed their closer, once their pitching got healthy and once they started hitting (they were almost last in runs scored for a long time), they would be fine.  And Puig has been amazing and hope he gets to participate in the All-Star game. He's quite the revelation so far. I gather no one wants to fire Mattingly now  :)

Yep... on last check, Puig was in second place (behind Freddy Freeman of the Atlanta Braves) for the final spot on the NL roster. I hope he gets in... if not, well, there's always next year. He certainly became a huge contributor to the team once they called him up from the minors.

Written By: nally on 07/12/13 at 11:32 am

...and it was announced yesterday, after fan voting had closed, that Freeman has won the final NL spot on the All-Star roster. Congratz to Freddie Freeman. And on the AL side, Blue Jays pitcher Steve Delabar snagged that spot.

Written By: ninny on 07/14/13 at 8:09 am

Tim Lincecum tossed a no hitter last night against the San Diego Padres in a 9-0 win.

The Arizona Diamondbacks became the first team in 92 years to broadcast in  Navajo.Dan Arnold and George LaFrance had the play-by-play call of Saturday night’s game against the Brewers on KTNN, a Navajo-language AM station broadcasting from Window Rock in northern Arizona.

Written By: nally on 07/14/13 at 10:04 am

Tim Lincecum tossed a no hitter last night against the San Diego Padres in a 9-0 win.

Congratulations to Tim; it was the first no-no in his career... and the 15th in Giants franchise history (7 during their time in San Fran). That's also 2 no-hitters this month; Homer Bailey of the Reds tossed one on July 2nd....against the Giants! (Yesterday, however, Bailey was roughed up against the Atlanta Braves.)

Elsewhere, Tigers SP Max Scherzer finally lost a game this year. (Had he won, he would have become the first pitcher in 27 years to win his first 14 decisions; Roger Clemens was the last one to accomplish the feat.)

Written By: nally on 07/16/13 at 3:32 pm

Congratulations to Yoenis Cespedes of the Oakland Athletics for winning the Home Run Derby (edging out Bryce Harper).

Now...for the All Star Game tonight. I will be watching maybe the first hour and a half of it, since I have somewhere to go tonight.

Written By: nally on 07/17/13 at 11:23 am

So...for the second straight year, the scoring (run production) in the All-Star Game is one-sided. This time, the American League scored all the runs; 3, to be exact. Mariano Rivera, pitching in the final All-Star Game of his career, retired the side in the 8th inning, when he came on to pitch, and won MVP honors, at 43 yrs of age.

So this means that whichever AL team reaches the World Series, will host games 1 and 2 (as well as 6 and 7, if necessary).

Written By: ninny on 07/17/13 at 3:09 pm

So...for the second straight year, the scoring (run production) in the All-Star Game is one-sided. This time, the American League scored all the runs; 3, to be exact. Mariano Rivera, pitching in the final All-Star Game of his career, retired the side in the 8th inning, when he came on to pitch, and won MVP honors, at 43 yrs of age.

So this means that whichever AL team reaches the World Series, will host games 1 and 2 (as well as 6 and 7, if necessary).

I just can't watch the All-Star game anymore, when I was young I looked forward to it and now that I'm older I find it quite boring as a matter of fact I had to turn the station before I fell asleep.

Written By: warped on 07/17/13 at 3:15 pm

I just can't watch the All-Star game anymore, when I was young I looked forward to it and now that I'm older I find it quite boring

:o :o :o  same here.

Regular season resumes on Friday. Yankees Vs Red Sox  weekend series

Written By: ninny on 07/17/13 at 5:42 pm

:o :o :o  same here.

Regular season resumes on Friday. Yankees Vs Red Sox  weekend series

Now that's entertaining.

Written By: nally on 07/18/13 at 3:47 pm

Starting pitcher Derek Lowe, now 40, has announced his retirement after a 17-year career with various teams. He was a contributor to the Red Sox' 2004 postseason comeback (helping them capture their first title in 86 years), after which he spent 4 seasons (2005-2008) with my team, the L.A. Dodgers, and then pitched for the Atlanta Braves, Cleveland Indians, New York Yankees (as a reliever), and Texas Rangers.

Written By: warped on 07/19/13 at 11:44 am

Starting pitcher Derek Lowe, now 40, has announced his retirement after a 17-year career with various teams. He was a contributor to the Red Sox' 2004 postseason comeback (helping them capture their first title in 86 years), after which he spent 4 seasons (2005-2008) with my team, the L.A. Dodgers, and then pitched for the Atlanta Braves, Cleveland Indians, New York Yankees (as a reliever), and Texas Rangers.

He had his best years with Boston, some with L.A. too. He was on the Red Sox 2004 team when they came back from 3-0 down against NYY in the playoffs, and eventually won the World series when they beat STL.

Written By: nally on 07/19/13 at 1:50 pm

He had his best years with Boston, some with L.A. too. He was on the Red Sox 2004 team when they came back from 3-0 down against NYY in the playoffs, and eventually won the World series when they beat STL.

That's right; after he won a World Series ring in '04 with BOS, he signed with L.A. (my team) and provided some good pitching for them. The Dodgers reached the postseason twice with him in their rotation (2006 and 2008), but made an early exit in 2006 to NYM and were beat in 5 by the Phils in the '08 NLCS. He was still a good pitcher, overall.

Written By: nally on 07/20/13 at 12:49 am

And so, the Dodgers kick off the "unofficial second half" of the season with a 3-2 win in Washington DC over the Nat'ls. Hanley Ramirez hit a 2-run shot to get the team on the board, and Andre Ethier broke a 2-2 tie in the top of the 9th with a solo shot off reliever Rafael Soriano (who had issued a late-inning homer to Dre on at least one other occasion), and Kenley Jansen retired the side in order in the bottom of the 9th to nail down the win. Just minutes after this game finished, the Diamondbacks and Giants began their game in San Francisco...with the Gints blanking the Dbacks 2-0. This cuts Arizona's lead in the NL West to only a game and a half over the Dodgers.

Written By: nally on 07/21/13 at 9:40 pm

Dodgers have completed a sweep of the Washington Nationals, who have been struggling this month. Matt Kemp, who was back again from the D.L., went 3 for 4 with a home run in his first plate appearance, to help L.A. earn its 50th win of the season, 9-2. This backed 7 strong innings by Clayton Kershaw, who did not walk anybody, but allowed only two hits (both of which were solo homers by Jayson Werth).

D'backs, however, averted a sweep at the hands of the Giants to remain half a game ahead of the Dodgers in the NL West.

Written By: ninny on 07/22/13 at 6:55 pm

Milwaukee Brewers outfielder Ryan Braun has been suspended without pay for the rest of the season, a 65-game ban announced Monday by Major League Baseball in what appears to be the first salvo in the league's fight against players allegedly tied to the Biogenesis lab.

The announcement from commissioner Bud Selig said the suspension was for violations of the basic agreement and its joint drug prevention and treatment program and is effective immediately.

Written By: nally on 07/26/13 at 1:23 pm

^ Yep... and some people believe that Braun lied all along in early 2012 when his initial 50-game suspension was overturned.

Meanwhile, Kemp goes back on the Dodgers' D.L. while the team manages just fine without him, sweeping the Toronto Blue Jays. (This was the first time in 10 years that the Dodgers have swept an interleague opponent on the road. The last time they accomplished this was June 13-15, 2003, in Cleveland against the Indians, who they will likely face next year.) Not so much luck at home against the Cincy Reds last nite, however, as Zack Greinke finally loses to them. :-\\

Written By: warped on 07/26/13 at 3:21 pm

With Braun getting suspended and all the other issues over the last 10 years regarding players such as Aroids, Manny Ramirez, Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Sammi Sosa, McGwire, Canseco, Palmeiro and others...you honestly don't know who is clean and who isn't.

Over the last 10 years, when a player starts doing really well (Like Albert Pujols, now Miguel Cabrera & Chris Davis). The first question that comes up is "Is he clean?" coz we really don't know anymore.

A black cloud over baseball that isn't going away for a long time.

Written By: nally on 07/26/13 at 7:32 pm

I often wonder about that too.

In other news, Alfonso Soriano is going back to the NYY, where he spent the first five years of his MLB career.

Written By: loki 13 on 07/28/13 at 2:54 pm

It is a good thing I have a good sense of humor otherwise I think I would have jumped out the window
long ago.

Let me try to explain this hilarious 6th inning. The Tigers lead off guy gets on. The next guy tries to bunt him over
but the Phillies opt to go to second and hits the runner in the back, 1st and 2nd no outs. The next guy is bunting
also, Dekeman looks at third for the out but opts to go to first but took too long, safe at first, bases loaded. The
next guy lofts a fly to shallow right, a good throw holds all the runners, bases loaded 1 out. The next batter lofts
a fly to left, a run will score but at least it is an out....but wait, the numbwad closes his glove too soon and drops
the ball, a run scores everyone safe. A pitching change, he walks the next guy on four pitches, a run scores. Fielder
hits a ground ball to first, Ruf decides to throw home but the throw was high,everyone is safe, a run scores and the
bases are still loaded with 1 out. It takes 13 pitches but the next guy walks, another run and still 1 out. Then, we all
knew it would happen, a guy struggling with the zone throws a meatball and there she goes, a grand slam. The next
two guys must have felt sorry for the Phils, They struck out.

In all....3 errors, two walks and a grand slam for the Tigers which turned a 3-3 game into an 11-3 lead. Something has
to change this team is just unwatchable.

Written By: nally on 08/07/13 at 4:05 pm

Dodgers' 15-game road winning streak is over, as of yesterday. Still, a team being able to win that many games away from its home stadium, is quite remarkable.

Written By: warped on 08/07/13 at 4:19 pm

It is a good thing I have a good sense of humor otherwise I think I would have jumped out the window
long ago.

Let me try to explain this hilarious 6th inning. The Tigers lead off guy gets on. The next guy tries to bunt him over
but the Phillies opt to go to second and hits the runner in the back, 1st and 2nd no outs. The next guy is bunting
also, Dekeman looks at third for the out but opts to go to first but took too long, safe at first, bases loaded. The
next guy lofts a fly to shallow right, a good throw holds all the runners, bases loaded 1 out. The next batter lofts
a fly to left, a run will score but at least it is an out....but wait, the numbwad closes his glove too soon and drops
the ball, a run scores everyone safe. A pitching change, he walks the next guy on four pitches, a run scores. Fielder
hits a ground ball to first, Ruf decides to throw home but the throw was high,everyone is safe, a run scores and the
bases are still loaded with 1 out. It takes 13 pitches but the next guy walks, another run and still 1 out. Then, we all
knew it would happen, a guy struggling with the zone throws a meatball and there she goes, a grand slam. The next
two guys must have felt sorry for the Phils, They struck out.

In all....3 errors, two walks and a grand slam for the Tigers which turned a 3-3 game into an 11-3 lead. Something has
to change this team is just unwatchable.

Was this the Phillies or "The Bad News bears"? lol 

Written By: warped on 08/07/13 at 4:20 pm

Dodgers' 15-game road winning streak is over, as of yesterday. Still, a team being able to win that many games away from its home stadium, is quite remarkable.

Impressive. So is their 32-8 record in their last 40 games. Fantastic.

Written By: nally on 08/08/13 at 11:41 am

Impressive. So is their 32-8 record in their last 40 games. Fantastic.

In addition, they haven't lost a series since mid-June (when they dropped two of three in Pittsburgh).

Written By: nally on 08/11/13 at 11:39 pm

Dodgers still continue their winning ways, completing a sweep of the Tampa Bay Rays at Dodger Stadium. This makes L.A. 20 and 3 since the All Star Break.

Oh, and A-Roid hit his first home run of the season today. In the 9th inning of that game, Mariano Rivera blew his third straight save opportunity (giving up a pair of back-to-back home runs), but the Yanks won it in the bottom of the 9th on a walkoff homer by Brett Gardner.

Written By: nally on 08/15/13 at 1:24 pm

Dodgers: 40-8 in their last 48 games... and 23-3 since the All Star Break (best in the majors during that span).

Written By: warped on 08/16/13 at 3:45 pm

Charlie Manuel was fired as manager of the Philadelphia Phillies on Friday, with his team way out of the pennant race and in a tailspin since the All-Star break.

Manuel was replaced by Hall of Famer and former Cubs second baseman Ryne Sandberg, the Phillies' third-base coach. Sandberg managed the Phillies' Triple-A team at Lehigh Valley the previous two seasons. 

Written By: nally on 08/17/13 at 11:51 pm

And now another player is being suspended for a multitude of games due to his use of peds... namely Miguel Tejada, who is currently on the KC Royals' long-term DL. He'll be out for the remainder of the season, but also for a good part of the 2014 season as well, as he was given a 105-game suspension.

Written By: nally on 08/19/13 at 3:20 pm

New Phils manager Ryne Sandberg finally got his first win yesterday, after putting up two goose-eggs against the Dodgers. This was due in part to a fielding error by Hanley Ramirez in the bottom of the 9th that allowed the tying run to score.

Written By: nally on 08/21/13 at 10:07 pm

Dodgers now 8 1/2 games ahead of the Arizona Dbacks for the NL West lead. L.A. has also taken two of the first three games of their series in Miami against the Marlins, assuring them of an 18th straight non-losing series.

Written By: nally on 08/22/13 at 4:13 pm

Also, yesterday... Ichiro Suzuki achieved his 4,000th career hit at the professional big-league level. That is, combining his totals in Japan and MLB.

Written By: warped on 08/23/13 at 6:45 am

So we are a little bit passed the 3/4 mark for the season.

My MVP picks so far:
AL - Miguel Cabrera, NL- ..umm..I have no idea..too many choices Votto? McCutchen? Still unclear ;D

My Cy Young picks:

AL-  Max Scherzer, NL -  Clayton Kershaw.  Unless both have a terrible last 6 weeks, the Cy Young picks will remain.

My World Series picks:  LA Dodgers Vs Texas (or Boston)

Let's see what the last 30 to 40 games bring.

Written By: nally on 08/24/13 at 11:47 am

...yep, this weekend may very well consist of a World Series preview (Redsox vs. Dodgers). L.A. blanked the Sox in the opener last night, 2-0, on a two-run homer by Hanley Ramirez. This, coupled with a Dbacks loss to Philadelphia, gives the Dodgers a 10 1/2-game lead in the NL West division... and according to stats, the last time the Dodgers led their division by 10+ games was in 1977, when they led the Cincinnati Reds by 10 at the end of the season.

Written By: warped on 08/24/13 at 12:21 pm

...yep, this weekend may very well consist of a World Series preview (Redsox vs. Dodgers). L.A. blanked the Sox in the opener last night, 2-0, on a two-run homer by Hanley Ramirez. This, coupled with a Dbacks loss to Philadelphia, gives the Dodgers a 10 1/2-game lead in the NL West division... and according to stats, the last time the Dodgers led their division by 10+ games was in 1977, when they led the Cincinnati Reds by 10 at the end of the season.

It was a surprise that L.A led Cincinnati by that much, seeing that the Reds won the previous 2 World Series (1975, 1976). L.A. made it to the WS in 1977, and they lost to the Yankees. The 1977 series is famous for Reggie Jackson's 3 home runs in one of the games.

Dodgers pitching in the last 40 games or so has been unbelievable, really.

Written By: nally on 08/26/13 at 4:36 pm

That's true. Among starters this year, Capuano is probably the least effective of them, and in the 'pen, probably Brandon League. Both pitchers gave up more runs than they should have in yesterday's game against the Redsox, who halted the Dodgers' string of non-losing serieses. However, there's still five weeks left in the regular season, so anything can happen. When rosters expand next week, maybe they'll bring Steven Fife back into the rotation and put Capuano in the pen. (As I recall, that was part of the original plan earlier in the season, when they had 7 or 8 potential starters... but when Greinke got hurt and Billingsley had to undergo TJ surgery, Capuano had to go back into the rotation, and they brought up Fife. But then both guys got hurt, although not simultaneously, and things were pretty rough. But they've improved overall since then.)

In other teams' news, NYM ace Matt Harvey may have to undergo surgery to repair a torn UCL in his pitching arm; if he needs TJ Surgery, he'll likely miss all of 2014.

Written By: warped on 08/26/13 at 6:24 pm

That's true. Among starters this year, Capuano is probably the least effective of them, and in the 'pen, probably Brandon League. Both pitchers gave up more runs than they should have in yesterday's game against the Redsox, who halted the Dodgers' string of non-losing serieses. However, there's still five weeks left in the regular season, so anything can happen. When rosters expand next week, maybe they'll bring Steven Fife back into the rotation and put Capuano in the pen. (As I recall, that was part of the original plan earlier in the season, when they had 7 or 8 potential starters... but when Greinke got hurt and Billingsley had to undergo TJ surgery, Capuano had to go back into the rotation, and they brought up Fife. But then both guys got hurt, although not simultaneously, and things were pretty rough. But they've improved overall since then.)

In other teams' news, NYM ace Matt Harvey may have to undergo surgery to repair a torn UCL in his pitching arm; if he needs TJ Surgery, he'll likely miss all of 2014.

When the Dodgers make the playoffs, they only need 4 starters. That will be Kershaw, Grienke, Ryu and hopefully Nolasco. The worst ERA there (right now is 3.08). They will be hard to beat in the playoffs, as long as they get clutch hitting from Gonsalez, Ramirez, Puig and others. When is Matt Kemp expected back ?

Written By: nally on 08/26/13 at 6:32 pm

When the Dodgers make the playoffs, they only need 4 starters. That will be Kershaw, Grienke, Ryu and hopefully Nolasco.

Yep, those guys will likely make the cut. Especially Nolasco; he was an excellent acquisition.

The worst ERA there (right now is 3.08). They will be hard to beat in the playoffs, as long as they get clutch hitting from Gonsalez, Ramirez, Puig and others. When is Matt Kemp expected back ?

They've been saying the first of September, as a ballpark estimate, but they're not totally certain at this point.

Written By: warped on 08/26/13 at 6:41 pm

Yep, those guys will likely make the cut. Especially Nolasco; he was an excellent acquisition.

They've been saying the first of September, as a ballpark estimate, but they're not totally certain at this point.

If I were a betting man, I'd put money on the Dodgers to at least make it to the World Series. Dodger fans must be so happy now.
Hey? they just lost 2 games in a row and their first series in months.. Fire Mattingly!  :D  (I'm kidding. Dodger fans should be happy they didn't)

Written By: nally on 08/26/13 at 6:56 pm

If I were a betting man, I'd put money on the Dodgers to at least make it to the World Series. Dodger fans must be so happy now.
Hey? they just lost 2 games in a row and their first series in months.. Fire Mattingly!  :D  (I'm kidding. Dodger fans should be happy they didn't)

I agree. Many people thought he was gonna be on the hotseat (and they thought he'd be first to go...but no, Charlie Manuel was), but the team played so well since the beginning of June that no one wants to get rid of him now (although some might think his future after this season is uncertain).

I hope they get there too. Of course I'll be rooting for them all the way. Not sure if I'll be going to any games this year (altho last year when I went to a game, it was late in the season, and my dad knew someone who was able to get tickets for us to go...and this might have been a week or two before the game). Just sayin'.

Written By: nally on 08/27/13 at 3:15 pm

I just found out that the Mets have reportedly traded Marlon Byrd and John Buck to the Pirates for a shortstop prospect.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/mets-ship-byrd-buck-pittsburgh-article-1.1438423

Written By: nally on 08/29/13 at 4:42 pm

Tigers' Max Scherzer was going for his 20th win today, but could not get it this time. He allowed 6 runs to the Oakland Athletics over 5 innings pitched, and would have been handed his second loss...but the Tigers came back to win in the bottom of the 9th, thereby getting him off the hook and keeping his record at 19-1.

Written By: warped on 08/30/13 at 3:53 pm

With a little less than 30 games in the season, the playoffs teams almost seem set in the NL

Looks like Atlanta and the Dodgers will win their divisions easily.  STL, CIN and PIT are battling for 1st in the central, the 2 who don't finish first will probably get wild cards. (There are 2 wild cards now. This is the 2nd year of that format)

In the AL..it's more complicated. There are 9 or 10 teams that still have a chance to get into the playoffs, with Detroit the only one of them that is almost sure to advance.

Written By: warped on 08/31/13 at 5:27 pm

The Minnesota Twins have traded Justin Morneau to the Pittsburgh Pirates, sending the veteran first baseman to a playoff-contending team for the final month of the season. The Twins obtained outfielder Alex Presley and either a player to be named or cash.

Written By: nally on 08/31/13 at 5:28 pm

This weekend involves a couple of crucial races, including the NL Central lead (StL at Pitt; there is now a tie atop the division heading into play today) and the AL Wildcard (TB at Oak, who traded places in the wildcard lead in last night's series opener).

Written By: nally on 08/31/13 at 5:31 pm

The Minnesota Twins have traded Justin Morneau to the Pittsburgh Pirates, sending the veteran first baseman to a playoff-contending team for the final month of the season. The Twins obtained outfielder Alex Presley and either a player to be named or cash.

Wow, this must have just happened a short while ago. (In fact I'm just reading about it.) Let's see how he helps the Pirates down the stretch.

Written By: warped on 08/31/13 at 5:31 pm

This weekend involves a couple of crucial races, including the NL Central lead (StL at Pitt; there is now a tie atop the division heading into play today) and the AL Wildcard (TB at Oak, who traded places in the wildcard lead in last night's series opener).

Oh yes, and also Baltimore Vs NYY, NYY have crept back in to the wildcard picture.

Written By: nally on 08/31/13 at 5:34 pm

Oh yes, and also Baltimore Vs NYY, NYY have crept back in to the wildcard picture.

Oh yes, they just beat the O's again today and have traded places with them in the standings.

Written By: warped on 08/31/13 at 5:40 pm

Wow, this must have just happened a short while ago. (In fact I'm just reading about it.) Let's see how he helps the Pirates down the stretch.

He's an upgrade from G. Jones (he plays 1B often for Pitts) or Sanchez. Pittsburgh hasn't made the playoffs in years, 20+ years (since 1992), and haven't finished over 500 since 1992. They need 5 more victories to have a better than .500 season. With 28 games left, they should achieve that.

Written By: nally on 09/01/13 at 6:53 pm

He's an upgrade from G. Jones (he plays 1B often for Pitts) or Sanchez. Pittsburgh hasn't made the playoffs in years, 20+ years (since 1992), and haven't finished over 500 since 1992. They need 5 more victories to have a better than .500 season. With 28 games left, they should achieve that.

Yep, it looks like they are finally going to do it; they've got a really good chance (even though they lost their game to Stl today to move back into a first-place tie).

Written By: nally on 09/02/13 at 7:35 pm

Dodgers are assured of a winning record this year, overcoming a rocky start (pun intended) to their game in Denver against the Rockies. Kershaw was not at his best, especially early in the game, but the Dodgers were able to get him a win today. The final score was 10-8.

They now lead the Arizona Dbacks (who lost their opener to the Bluejays) by 12 1/2 games!

Written By: warped on 09/04/13 at 4:04 pm

Here's The 2013 MLB Post Season Schedule.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/schedule/ps.jsp

Written By: nally on 09/04/13 at 4:43 pm

Here's The 2013 MLB Post Season Schedule.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/schedule/ps.jsp

Cool. 8)

The Pirates just might be involved... since they won their 81st game of the season last night, thereby guaranteeing a non-losing record for the first time since '92 (which, incidentally, was the last time they reached the postseason).

Written By: nally on 09/06/13 at 11:20 am

And now for something off the field...

Yesterday, it was announced that Vin Scully, the long-time broadcaster for the Dodgers, would be serving as the Grand Marshal of the 2014 Tournament Of Roses Parade (to be held on 1/1/2014).

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-vin-scully-grand-marshal-rose-parade-20130905,0,2808740.story

Written By: nally on 09/10/13 at 3:37 pm

Pittsburgh Pirates have guaranteed themselves a winning record for the first time since 1992. By defeating the Texas Rangers 1-zip yesterday in Arlington, they picked up their 82nd win, thereby assuring themselves of a winning season. O0

Dodgers: 12 games up on the Dbacks. They hit 6 home runs in last night's game, 3 of which came from Juan Uribe. The last Dodgers batter to hit 3 home runs in a game was Andre Ethier, who did so on June 26, 2009, against the Seattle Mariners... and the last time the Dodgers hit at least 6 home runs in a game was on September 18, 2006, against the San Diego Padres, when they hit 7 altogether (4 of those homers were hit in succession in the 9th inning to overcome a 9-5 deficit).

Written By: warped on 09/10/13 at 4:57 pm

Pittsburgh Pirates have guaranteed themselves a winning record for the first time since 1992. By defeating the Texas Rangers 1-zip yesterday in Arlington, they picked up their 82nd win, thereby assuring themselves of a winning season. O0

That is great news for Pittsburgh fans. And they will probably make the playoffs too, as a Division winner or a wildcard. Exciting for the city of Pittsburgh. I am happy for them  :)

Written By: nally on 09/12/13 at 6:02 pm

That is great news for Pittsburgh fans. And they will probably make the playoffs too, as a Division winner or a wildcard. Exciting for the city of Pittsburgh. I am happy for them  :)

Me too. I was really hoping this would be the year they finally did it. O0

At this point, it's likely they will either win the NL Central division or one of the wildcard spots. The race in that division is still as tight as ever. I wonder if it'll come down to the final weekend of the season... we shall see how it all plays out. No team has clinched anything as of yet.

Written By: nally on 09/14/13 at 11:50 pm

Another MLB slugger has called it a career... namely Vladimir Guerrero.

Written By: nally on 09/16/13 at 10:11 am

Okay, no divisions have been clinched yet... but one last-place spot has been clinched. The Astros, in their first year in the AL West, have been guaranteed a last-place finish. They could also still reach the century mark in the loss column... for the third year in a row.

The best record in the majors now belongs to...the Boston Redsox, who just completed a weekend sweep of the NYY in Fenway Park.

Also, the AL wildcard spots are currently held by the Rangers and Rays, who are now tied at 81-67 heading into play today. The Indians, Orioles, Yankees, and Royals are all within striking distance.

Written By: warped on 09/16/13 at 3:57 pm

Another MLB slugger has called it a career... namely Vladimir Guerrero.

Yes, he was a very good player. Todd Helton (Colorado Rockies) also will retire at the end of the year.
We shall see in a few years if they get into Cooperstown or not.

Okay, no divisions have been clinched yet... but one last-place spot has been clinched. The Astros, in their first year in the AL West, have been guaranteed a last-place finish. They could also still reach the century mark in the loss column... for the third year in a row.

The best record in the majors now belongs to...the Boston Redsox, who just completed a weekend sweep of the NYY in Fenway Park.

Also, the AL wildcard spots are currently held by the Rangers and Rays, who are now tied at 81-67 heading into play today. The Indians, Orioles, Yankees, and Royals are all within striking distance.

Houston will lose 100 games this year, yes.
Texas & Tampa (who hold both wildcard positions in the AL as of today) play each other for 3 games. The other hopefuls (Cleveland, NYY, Balt & KC) hope one of those teams sweeps all 3 games so that they can back into contention.

Texas & Tampa have not played well the past month.

Written By: nally on 09/17/13 at 3:06 pm

Yes, he was a very good player. Todd Helton (Colorado Rockies) also will retire at the end of the year.
We shall see in a few years if they get into Cooperstown or not.

They should definitely be on the ballot (come 2019 or so), but it's hard to know for sure if they'll get in.

Vladdy was a member of the Expos for the first 8 years of his career, and was a great player for the team during that period... and then he spent 6 years with the Angels and was well-liked by the fans. Then he went to the Rangers in 2010 (making his only World Series appearance) and the Orioles in 2011.

As for Helton, he spent his entire career with the Rockies (and he'll be playing his final three games against the Dodgers Sept 27-29), and has been undoubtedly one of the team's best players in its 21-year history.

So, we'll wait & see. :)

Texas & Tampa (who hold both wildcard positions in the AL as of today) play each other for 3 games. The other hopefuls (Cleveland, NYY, Balt & KC) hope one of those teams sweeps all 3 games so that they can back into contention.

Texas & Tampa have not played well the past month.

That's true, they haven't (although Tampa took the first game of the series last nite). Neither has my team, the Dudgers. All they have to do essentially is win two games in their current series with AZ, and the division is theirs. If not, then they'll have a chance to do it in SD over the weekend.

Written By: nally on 09/18/13 at 11:09 am

... the Dudgers. All they have to do essentially is win two games in their current series with AZ, and the division is theirs. If not, then they'll have a chance to do it in SD over the weekend.

And L.A. won last night 9-3, to reduce that magic # to 2. If they win tonight, then they clinch.

Also...the Rangers beat the Rays last night to move back into a tie for the AL wildcard, and Cleveland beat KC. So now those four teams are all exactly where they were a couple days ago, standingswise.

Written By: nally on 09/18/13 at 11:15 am

And they just did. That was most likely to happen. They were trounced by their old friends the Cincinnati Reds in the middle game of an interleague series.

Miami could also still lose 100 games; they have clinched last place in the NL East.

If any team's gonna win 100 games at this point, it'll likely be Boston.

Written By: warped on 09/18/13 at 1:41 pm

Miami could also still lose 100 games; they have clinched last place in the NL East.

They would have to end the year at least 8-3 to not lose 100 games. So, they probably will lose 100 games.

If any team's gonna win 100 games at this point, it'll likely be Boston.

Mathematically, only Boston, Oakland and Atlanta can win 100 games. Oakland and Atlanta would have to win their 11 remaining games to do so. Unlikely.
Boston would have to win 8 of their last 10 at least. Not likely either, but possible.

Written By: nally on 09/19/13 at 10:31 pm

Dodgers beat the Arizona Deebacks this afternoon to win the National League West division and secure the first playoff spot this year (i.e., the first of six divisions to be clinched)...

https://scontent-a-pao.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/q71/s720x720/1238008_10152205612853508_1738101312_n.jpg

In addition, I think this might be the earliest (Sept. 19th) that the Dodgers have clinched the division in the Divisional Play era.

Written By: warped on 09/20/13 at 10:11 am

Yes, congrats to the Dodgers who clinched their division and the Red Sox who also clinched a playoff spot.
It's getting close to the playoffs.  :)

Written By: nally on 09/21/13 at 11:24 am

And the Red Sox have clinched their division, the A.L. East, last night. Congratz to them. :)

I think the Braves, in the N.L. East, are likely next.

Written By: nally on 09/22/13 at 7:04 pm

Yep... the Braves clinched the NL East, before they even defeated the Chicago Cubs today. This was because the Nationals lost their game earlier to the last-place Marlins.

And another division has been clinched, namely the AL West... by the Oakland A's, who did so on a Texas Rangers loss to KC.

Written By: nally on 09/23/13 at 11:43 pm

Well, it's all over for the Nationals. This only leaves the Reds and Pirates in the NL wildcard race, and that only means one thing...

All 5 NL teams for the postseason have been decided. However, the NL Central division has not yet been decided, although the Cardinals lead that one at the moment. But the Pirates or Reds could still overtake STL during the final week of the season.

Okay, two things...

The Pirates will see postseason play for the first time since 1992!

Written By: nally on 09/25/13 at 11:04 am

Now the Orioles are eliminated from the postseason run, thanks to a loss yesterday and a Cleveland win.

The Yankees are on thin ice; their next loss OR the next Cleveland win will eliminate them for the first time in five years (and the second time in the last 19). And the KC Royals are on the brink as well; their elim number is down to two.

Written By: nally on 09/26/13 at 4:31 pm

Yankees are out of the playoffs for the first time in five years, and only the second time since their historic run of postseason appearances began in 1995.

The Kansas City Royals (who haven't reached the playoffs since winning the 1985 World Series) are also out of it as well, having lost again to the Seattle Mariners.

So, while the Rays and Indians currently hold the wildcard spots in the American League, the only team still mathematically alive in that race is the Texas Rangers.

Written By: warped on 09/27/13 at 1:36 pm

I'm looking at the 8 teams that are already in the playoffs. They all have won between 90 and 96 games. There is no clear cut favorite this year. Tampa just won their 90th game and have the greatest chance to advance as a wild card in the AL. I hope they do.

What most of these teams have in common. Good pitching.

Now that the Yankees are eliminated, there is no official "team to hate" in the playoffs.  ;D

Written By: nally on 09/28/13 at 10:18 am

And now all six divisions have a champion, with the Cardinals clinching the NL Central last night. This means that the Pirates and Reds (who play each other this weekend) will get the wildcards, in some order.

The Cardinals also have the same record as the Braves, at 95-65 (both teams won their respective games last nite), so the top seed is still uncertain. However, if both teams should finish with identical records, I think the Braves would have the tiebreaker, as they won their season series with the Cardinals. Dodgers, on the other hand, will take the third seed no matter what, as they already have 68 losses (the most wins they can have is 94).

In the American League, the wildcard is still a tight race, as Tampa and Cleveland are now tied for that spot (actually, those two spots), and the Rangers are still a game out (they are keeping pace with Cleveland).

Written By: nally on 09/29/13 at 9:52 pm

Cleveland Indians take the upper wildcard in the AL; Texas and Tampa will have to battle it out for the second one tomorrow, as they finish in a tie for that race. The winner of that game will go to Cleveland for the AL wildcard playoff on Wednesday.

Pittsburgh will host Cincy for the NL wildcard on Tuesday night.

Written By: warped on 09/30/13 at 1:20 pm

I hope it is a good game tonight. I hope Tampa wins but I am going with the home team.

So let`s see what we have.

In the NL:  Atlanta Versus the Dodgers.  and St Louis versus the winner of Tuesday`s Pitt versus Cin game
In the AL: Oakland versus Detroit, and Boston versus either Cleveland, Texas or Tampa.

Every team in the playoffs won between 90 and 97 games. There is no favorite really.

I feel bad for Tampa. They have to beat a team that just won 7 games in a row, if they do that that have to beat a team that just won 11 games in a row. If they beat Cleveland, then they have to face the team tied for the best record in baseball.  :o

Written By: nally on 09/30/13 at 4:41 pm

We shall see what happens. I'll probably watch parts of that game.

Tigers, even though they got swept in Miami (in the first-ever interleague series to close out a regular season, the final game of which was a walk-off no-hitter, with the only run of the game scoring on a wild pitch), still have a good starting pitching staff. There was some discussion on MLB Network about the no-no from yesterday, as well as possible candidates for the ALDS Game One starter (Anibal Sanchez, Scherzer, or Verlander were the three they mentioned). In addition, their half of the ALDS will be a rematch from last year.

Oh...and Cubs manager Dale Sveum has gotten fired. So we already know that one team will have a new manager in 2014.

Written By: nally on 09/30/13 at 10:41 pm

So...game one sixty-three has been played... and the Rangers' season is over. Tampa won the game 5-2, so the Rays win the second wildcard spot, and will go to Cleveland for the AL Wildcard playoff game on Wednesday.

Written By: warped on 10/01/13 at 12:33 pm

So...game one sixty-three has been played... and the Rangers' season is over. Tampa won the game 5-2, so the Rays win the second wildcard spot, and will go to Cleveland for the AL Wildcard playoff game on Wednesday.

Yes, Price went 9 innings for TB, good that the whole pitching staff can have a rest. Wildcard game tonight (NL) and tomorrow night (AL).

Written By: nally on 10/01/13 at 10:34 pm

And so the NL Wildcard game has been completed...and the Pirates have emerged victorious, 6-2. This means that the Pirates have won a postseason game for the first time in 21 years, and will see the NLDS for the first time ever. I'm happy for them.

Written By: nally on 10/03/13 at 4:47 pm

Congratulations to the Tampa Bay Rays for winning the AL Wildcard game last night, 4-0 over the Cleveland Indians. Now Tampa will go to Boston and have their first postseason encounter with the Redsox in five years. (They met in the 2008 ALCS, with Tampa prevailing over Boston in 7 games. Now they're together in the ALDS for the first time.)

Today the NLDSes begin. I sure hope my team, the Dodgers, can do well against Atlanta. I happened to see L.A.'s postseason roster posted on Facebook this afternoon, and Ethier is on it, even though he has been questionable (due to an injured ankle which kept him out of the final series of the regular season). There was speculation of him maybe pinch-hitting if need be, with Skip Schumaker likely playing in centerfield.

Written By: warped on 10/04/13 at 7:47 am

STL and L.A won last night. STL used 1 inning to score most of their runs. Kershaw was strong for L.A. The guy is the best pitcher in baseball.

Written By: nally on 10/04/13 at 1:30 pm

STL and L.A won last night. STL used 1 inning to score most of their runs. Kershaw was strong for L.A. The guy is the best pitcher in baseball.

He certainly was. 8) Glad they were able to win a game in ATL.

Written By: warped on 10/04/13 at 1:38 pm

He certainly was. 8) Glad they were able to win a game in ATL.

I would not be surprised if they take 2 in ATL, with (I assume) Greinke pitching game 2.

Written By: nally on 10/04/13 at 1:41 pm

I would not be surprised if they take 2 in ATL, with (I assume) Greinke pitching game 2.

Yes, he is pitching game 2 today. I'll be watching that when it comes on.

Written By: nally on 10/05/13 at 12:24 am

...but no such luck. :-\\ Dodgers wasted a number of scoring opportunities (hitting into double plays in a couple such situations), leaving many runners on base. So the series is tied at one game apiece, and L.A. still has a chance to win it on their home field. (But they must win games three AND four in order to do that.)

A game four will also be necessary in the other half of the NLDS, as the Pirates struck back against the Cardinals.

And in the ALDS, Boston pounded Tampa with 12 unanswered runs (TB scored early with a pair of solo homers, but didn't score anymore after that), and the Tigers took the first game in Oakland.

Written By: nally on 10/06/13 at 12:23 pm

ALDS update: Boston leads Tampa 2 games to none; Oakland scores the only run of their Game Two in the 9th inning to tie up their series with Detroit at a game apiece.

Written By: nally on 10/07/13 at 11:07 am

Pirates took a 2-1 series lead over the Cardinals yesterday afternoon in Pittsburgh, thanks to some excellent clutch hitting (they won 5-3)... and the Dodgers, after a bit of a shaky start by Hyun-jin Ryu, pounded the Braves 13-6 in Dodger Stadium. (Neither starter made it past the third inning in that game.) Both the Pirates and Dodgers are now one win away from advancing to the NLCS, and each team has a chance to win it all tonight.

Written By: nally on 10/08/13 at 9:42 am

Dodgers are moving on!!! :D 8) :) ;D O0 :-*

Mattingly chose to start Kershaw on three days' rest, instead of the originally-scheduled Ricky Nolasco, and that seemed to work well for the most part. Kershaw allowed only two runs, both unearned, and Carl Crawford got things going early by hitting a leadoff home run in the first inning. He would hit another one in the third inning. After Kershaw came out in the 7th for a reliever, that reliever (Ron Belisario) gave up the go-ahead run, so Atlanta led 3-2... but in the 8th inning, Juan Uribe hit a towering two-run homer to left to put L.A. back on top 4-3. This score would not change, as Kenley Jansen struck out the side in order in the 9th to preserve the win. So my team advances to the NLCS, which will start on Friday, either in St. Louis (if the Cardinals win tomorrow) or at Dodger Stadium (if the Pirates win tomorrow). (Cardinals staved off elimination in their game by beating the Pirates 2-1; STL rookie starter Mike Wacha had a no-hit bid broken up in the 8th inning when Pedro Alvarez hit a solo shot.)

Written By: warped on 10/08/13 at 9:56 am

Dodgers are moving on!!! :D 8) :) ;D O0 :-*

Yes they did as I figured they might. Now they can start the next series with Grienke in game 1 and Kershaw for game 2. I like their chances to get to the world series, I think I said that back in August ..can't remember when.

Meanwhile, Boston & Oakland can advance tonight with wins.

Written By: nally on 10/08/13 at 4:21 pm

Yes they did as I figured they might. Now they can start the next series with Grienke in game 1 and Kershaw for game 2. I like their chances to get to the world series, I think I said that back in August ..can't remember when.

Might've been. I hope they get there too. On Oct 27th, my parents will return from their three-week trip, and that's the day Game Four is scheduled to be played; if L.A. gets there, then the game will be played at Dodger Stadium (since the AL has homefield advantage in the WS and will host Games 1&2), so that would be something for them to come home to. :)

Meanwhile, Boston & Oakland can advance tonight with wins.

That's true; in fact, Boston had a chance to sweep TB last nite but couldn't do it, and tonight TB will try to stave off elimination once more and Bos will try once again to put the series away.

Written By: nally on 10/09/13 at 9:28 am

Tigers will see another game (namely, Thursday in Oakland); Rays will not. Congratulations to the Red Sox on advancing to their first ALCS in five years.

Written By: warped on 10/09/13 at 2:15 pm

Tigers will see another game (namely, Thursday in Oakland); Rays will not. Congratulations to the Red Sox on advancing to their first ALCS in five years.

Yes, the Red Sox have advanced. Tonight one of STL/PIT will advance to play L.A. 

I think L.A. & Boston are the favorites to get into the World Series. We shall see. I think last time L.A. won was their 1988 team with Herschiser & Kirk Gibson? I can't believe that's 25 years ago already. :o

STL last won just 2 years ago. Boston won in 2007, Oakland last won in 1989, Detroit in 1984 and Pittsburgh in 1979. So there is a 20+ year drought for 4 of the 6 remaining teams.

Written By: nally on 10/09/13 at 2:25 pm

Yes, the Red Sox have advanced. Tonight one of STL/PIT will advance to play L.A. 

I think L.A. & Boston are the favorites to get into the World Series. We shall see. I think last time L.A. won was their 1988 team with Herschiser & Kirk Gibson? I can't believe that's 25 years ago already. :o

Yep, those guys were on the team 25 yrs ago when they last won it all! The team hasn't gotten to the WS since then (although they have reached the NLCS twice, namely 2008 and 09; both years they lost to Philly in 5). And yes, it is hard to believe it's been that long.

STL last won just 2 years ago. Boston won in 2007, Oakland last won in 1989, Detroit in 1984 and Pittsburgh in 1979. So there is a 20+ year drought for 4 of the 6 remaining teams.

That's right! A's and Tigers have also appeared in the WS since their last respective titles, but lost.

And there's also the possibility of a rematch of the series from 1988 (LA vs Oak), that of 2004 (Stl vs Bos), or that of 2006 (Stl vs Det).

Written By: warped on 10/09/13 at 2:36 pm

Yep, those guys were on the team 25 yrs ago when they last won it all! The team hasn't gotten to the WS since then (although they have reached the NLCS twice, namely 2008 and 09; both years they lost to Philly in 5). And yes, it is hard to believe it's been that long.

That's right! A's and Tigers have also appeared in the WS since their last respective titles, but lost.

And there's also the possibility of a rematch of the series from 1988 (LA vs Oak), that of 2004 (Stl vs Bos), or that of 2006 (Stl vs Det).

Yes, and more rematches...Boston/Pittsburgh from 1903  (The Americans became the Red Sox in 1908), Athletics/Stl from 1930 (The Athletics were in Philadelphia back then, before moving to KC, then Oakland.)

Written By: nally on 10/09/13 at 2:39 pm

Yes, and more rematches...Boston/Pittsburgh from 1903  (The Americans became the Red Sox in 1908), Athletics/Stl from 1930 (The Athletics were in Philadelphia back then, before moving to KC, then Oakland.)

Also, when the Dodgers were in Brooklyn, they were known for a time as the Robins; in 1916 they faced the Red Sox, who won in 5.

Written By: warped on 10/09/13 at 2:48 pm

Also, when the Dodgers were in Brooklyn, they were known for a time as the Robins; in 1916 they faced the Red Sox, who won in 5.

Yes, that one too. And Boston had the best left-handed pitcher in the American league back then too. Babe Ruth.

Written By: nally on 10/09/13 at 7:27 pm

Yes, that one too. And Boston had the best left-handed pitcher in the American league back then too. Babe Ruth.

Oh yes; he started out as a pitcher. A lot of people tend to forget about that fact, based on his hitting accomplishments later on in his career (especially after he joined the Yankees).

Rick Ankiel went through a similar phase; he, too, started out as a pitcher but he began losing his ability to throw strikes and stay in control, so he was converted to a position player (outfield) and that seemed to work out better.

Conversely, Dodgers' current closer Kenley Jansen started out his professional career as a catcher, but was converted to a pitcher (and came up to the majors in July 2010 as a reliever).

Written By: nally on 10/09/13 at 11:32 pm

Well...it appears that the Dodgers will be flying to St. Louis to begin the NLCS on Friday. Cardinals won the winner-take-all game of their NLDS over the Pirates, whose "comeback" season has come to an end. I'm glad PIT was able to get into the postseason, after 20 straight seasons of sub-.500 ball. Adam Wainwright was dominant for STL, and two players (David Freese and Matt Adams) contributed to the offense with home runs. For the Cardinals, this is the third straight year in which they've advanced to the NLCS.

Last time STL and LAD met in the postseason, it was for the 2009 NLDS, with L.A. sweeping that series.

Now only one game remains in the LDS: Detroit vs Oakland, tomorrow night. Winner of that game flies to Boston to start the ALCS on Saturday.

Written By: nally on 10/10/13 at 11:27 pm

So...all the LDSes are in the books; in the DET-OAK finale, Justin Verlander pitched 8 shutout innings (although he'd had a no-hitter through 6 2/3) en route to a 3-zip win over the A's... which means the Tigers are advancing to the ALCS for the third straight year. They will fly to Boston. Should be an interesting battle.

Written By: nally on 10/12/13 at 1:27 am

Game One of NLCS is in the books. It was a 13-inning battle, with STL prevailing with a clutch hit... something the LAD couldn't do in all the scoring opportunities they had after the third inning. :-\\

Written By: warped on 10/12/13 at 9:00 am

Game One of NLCS is in the books. It was a 13-inning battle, with STL prevailing with a clutch hit... something the LAD couldn't do in all the scoring opportunities they had after the third inning. :-\\

I didn't stay awake until inning 13, but watched to hi-lites this morning. Beltran game winning RBI and threw out a runner at home in the 10th.

L.A. and STL..Kershaw versus Wacha today. Wacha is gonna be a good one. Hoping for an excellent pitching duel today.

...and the Boston/Detroit series begins tonight. 8)

Written By: nally on 10/12/13 at 1:06 pm

Yep, Beltran threw out a runner (Mark Ellis) who tried to tag up and score; if the ball was hit deeper, maybe Ellis could've scored and Jansen would've been able to close out the tenth.

L.A. and STL..Kershaw versus Wacha today. Wacha is gonna be a good one. Hoping for an excellent pitching duel today.

It looks to be... although I'm still hoping my team can tie up the series at a game apiece before heading to L.A. We'll just see what happens.

...and the Boston/Detroit series begins tonight. 8)

That should be a good series, too.

Written By: nally on 10/12/13 at 6:00 pm

Now the second game is finished...and it's one that was rather a disappointment for Dodger fans, including myself. :-X

Written By: warped on 10/12/13 at 6:07 pm

Now the second game is finished...and it's one that was rather a disappointment for Dodger fans, including myself. :-X

I was right about the excellent pitching duel. Never thought I'd see Grienke and Kershaw lose back to back games. L.A. only gave up 2 hits, and lost. wow.

Written By: nally on 10/12/13 at 6:12 pm

I was right about the excellent pitching duel. Never thought I'd see Grienke and Kershaw lose back to back games. L.A. only gave up 2 hits, and lost. wow.

Part of the problem on the Dudgers' behalf is the clutch hitting...or lack thereof. They had one inning of bases loaded and 1 out, but the next two guys struck out swinging. >:(

And Kershaw, he gave up only one run, and it was unearned. This was due in part to a passed ball.

Written By: nally on 10/13/13 at 12:10 am

Tigers take game one of ALCS 1-zip over Boston. Their pitching staff held the Redsox hitless into the 9th inning, until Daniel Nava broke through with a base hit into center field.

Written By: nally on 10/13/13 at 11:46 pm

Again, the Red Sox were no-hit into the 6th inning, but they finally broke through with two outs in said inning... and two innings later, David Ortiz hit a grand slam to tie up the game; and for good measure, Jarrod Saltalamacchia capitalized on a ninth-inning fielding error AND a wild pitch by hitting a walk-off single to win 6-5 and get Clay Buccholz (who gave up all 5 Tigers runs) off the hook. Series is tied at a game apiece. Oh, and Max Scherzer was brilliant through 7 innings, but the 'pen got shaky in the 8th inning, when four relievers were used, including closer Joaquin Benoit, who served up Ortiz's grand slam.

Written By: warped on 10/14/13 at 7:46 am

First of all it's great to see a post season without the Yankees.  :D
The Red Sox are also lucky to come out with a split. They were down and out and somehow got the win.

Game time decision today whether Hanley Ramirez plays or not. Hurt Ribs.

Written By: nally on 10/14/13 at 11:30 am

Yes, and if he doesn't play, then Punto will likely play at short instead. Andre Ethier is also a question-mark; he's been hurt a bit himself.

Written By: nally on 10/14/13 at 11:36 pm

Well...all the everyday players did play tonight (including Ethier and Hanley), and they scored 3 runs. Hyun-jin Ryu shut down the Cardinals' offense through 7 innings; Brian Wilson and Kenley Jansen took care of the rest. So L.A. wins 3-zip, and there will be a game five on Wednesday. Glad the Dodgers' offense came through. :)

Written By: nally on 10/16/13 at 4:13 pm

Red Sox go up 2 games to 1 in the ALCS, while the Cardinals put the Dudgers on the brink of elimination. :-\\

Written By: nally on 10/17/13 at 6:08 pm

So the Dodgers staved off elimination yesterday afternoon, winning 6-4 and sending the NLCS back to St. Louis for Game Six on Friday; while the Tigers tied up the ALCS against the Red Sox at two games apiece by winning 7-3. That series will have a Game Six in Boston on Saturday.

Written By: nally on 10/18/13 at 12:34 am

Boston now up 3 games to 2 heading back to Fenway on Saturday. The Sox' bats are finally coming alive.

Written By: warped on 10/18/13 at 1:04 pm

Both Boston and ST Louis lead 3 games to 2.

Detroit has Schertzer and Verlander pitching in games 6 and 7, still anyone's series to take.

If you remember the NLCS in 2012, STL had a 3 games to 1 lead against the NL west division winner, and lost. (That was SF last year, who went on to win the World Series).  This year STL was leading 3 games to 1. They lost game 5. With Kershaw pitching game 6, you would think he'd win that one. Still anyone's series to take.

Written By: nally on 10/18/13 at 1:20 pm

Both Boston and ST Louis lead 3 games to 2.

Detroit has Schertzer and Verlander pitching in games 6 and 7, still anyone's series to take.

If you remember the NLCS in 2012, STL had a 3 games to 1 lead against the NL west division winner, and lost. (That was SF last year, who went on to win the World Series).  This year STL was leading 3 games to 1. They lost game 5. With Kershaw pitching game 6, you would think he'd win that one. Still anyone's series to take.

Oh yes, I remember that well. Cardinals were looking to reach the WS in back-to-back years but the Giants dominated 'em those final three games last year.

This year, the Cardinals have a rookie starter by the name of Michael Wacha, who is starting for STL tonight; he was dominant in his last start (also against Kershaw), as well as in the NLDS against the Pirates and in his final start of the regular season against Washington. So now, in the NLCS, he will face L.A. a second time; and as a Dodger fan, I hope things turn around for my team. If so, then Ryu would start the deciding game 7 tomorrow for L.A., and Wainwright would get the ball for the Cards.

Written By: nally on 10/18/13 at 10:37 pm

...and at this moment it looks like there'll be no NLCS game 7. :-\\ :(

Written By: nally on 10/18/13 at 10:51 pm

...and at this moment it looks like there'll be no NLCS game 7. :-\\ :(

And now my team has to prepare for 2014. :-\\

Written By: warped on 10/19/13 at 7:13 am

And now my team has to prepare for 2014. :-\\

Yeah tough game all around for the Dodgers. Didn't expect that performance from Kershaw. The last time Kershaw gave up 4 runs in an inning was in July 2012 versus..you guessed it..STL.

Jeff you should be proud of your team. They were in last place for a long time and most fans thought this team was dead (except for me  :)). But they made an incredible run to completely destroy everyone in their division. Puig has been a great find and one of the best rookies this year. Next year, with a healthy Matt Kemp and Hanley Ramirez, the team looks like it will do quite well again.

Written By: nally on 10/19/13 at 1:06 pm

Yeah tough game all around for the Dodgers. Didn't expect that performance from Kershaw. The last time Kershaw gave up 4 runs in an inning was in July 2012 versus..you guessed it..STL.

Yep, and that was *in* STL, as I recall. Kersh doesn't seem to do well in the confines of Busch Stadium.

Jeff you should be proud of your team. They were in last place for a long time and most fans thought this team was dead (except for me  :)). But they made an incredible run to completely destroy everyone in their division. Puig has been a great find and one of the best rookies this year. Next year, with a healthy Matt Kemp and Hanley Ramirez, the team looks like it will do quite well again.

Oh yes I'm very proud of my team overcoming a last-place deficit and making that incredible run to win the division. :) The addition of Puig was certainly a contributing factor, as was the offensive production of Hanley once he came off the DL. Also the rearrangement of the bullpen, adding Brian Wilson to be the setup man and making Kenley Jansen the closer. That certainly helped.

Written By: nally on 10/20/13 at 12:11 am

Looks like the World Series is going to be a rematch of 2004. STL versus BOS.

Not sure who I'm gonna root for yet.

Written By: warped on 10/20/13 at 7:16 am

Yes, congrats to the STL Cardinals and Boston Red Sox for making it to the 2013 World Series, may the best team win.

Rematch of 1946 (Only world series the great Ted Williams ever participated in), STL won.
Rematch of 1967 (The year Yaz won the triple crown, but STL had Bob Gibson), STL won.
Rematch of 2004 (Red Sox first world series win in over 80 years, the curse of the babe put to rest.)

Go Red Sox!  8)

Written By: nally on 10/20/13 at 3:11 pm

Part of me is leaning towards the Redsox as well, since they went from worst (last year) to first (this year, with the best record in the AL). In addition, after all that Boston has gone through since last year, including the marathon tragedy from back in April (of this year), it would be nice for the city of Boston to celebrate with a World Series title.

It should also be duly noted that this is the first time in 14 years that the two teams with the best records in their respective leagues are meeting up in the World Series, as Boston and St Louis both finished with records of 97-65. In 1999, the New York Yankees finished at 98-64 with the best record in the AL, and the Atlanta Braves finished 103-59, which was tops in the NL. However, NYY swept ATL in the World Series.

Written By: nally on 10/22/13 at 12:35 am

Cardinals first baseman Allen Craig, who has been out since the first week of September with an injury, just might be on the World Series roster (Matt Adams played 1B during the NLDS and NLCS instead). If he makes it, he will likely serve as the DH for the games in Boston (and only as a pinch hitter in STL). However, nothing is finalized as of yet.

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2013/10/19/4855322/allen-craig-injury-cardinals-world-series

Written By: nally on 10/23/13 at 12:23 pm

And indeed it is confirmed that Allen Craig will be DH-ing tonight for the Cardinals in the opening game of the World Series. I saw the lineup in the newspaper this morning.

(Had the Dodgers won the NL pennant instead, I wonder if Andre Ethier would have been assigned to DH?? 'Tis possible. Schumaker could play CF.)

Written By: nally on 10/23/13 at 11:47 pm

So, the first game of the 2013 World Series is in the books... Boston wins it 8-1. Jon Lester pitched a gem, striking out 8 batters in 7 2/3 innings. Cardinals had some shakiness in their defense, committing 3 errors... but in the 2nd inning, Carlos Beltran (playing in his first-ever World Series game) made a great defensive play to rob David Ortiz of a grand slam... but had to come out of the game because he slammed into the right field wall to snatch the ball. After the game, it was reported that X-rays were negative, so he's day to day.

Still, this gives the Red Sox a 9-game winning streak in the World Series (they swept the 2004 series and that of 2007). Mike Wacha and the Cardinals will try to turn things around tomorrow night.

Written By: nally on 10/25/13 at 12:37 am

And so the Cardinals even up the series at a game apiece. Mike Wacha went 6 complete innings and threw well over a hundred pitches, giving up a two-run homer to David Ortiz in the 6th inning, but the Cardinals were able to give him some needed run support in the 7th inning to help him win. John Lackey pitched well for Boston, but he was charged with two of the aforementioned 7th-inning runs to end up as the losing pitcher. Also for StL, Beltran was back in the lineup, going 2-for-4 and knocking in a run.

So this is the first time in just about 27 years that the Red Sox have lost a World Series game. It ends a streak of 9.

Written By: warped on 10/25/13 at 7:48 am

And so the Cardinals even up the series at a game apiece. Mike Wacha went 6 complete innings and threw well over a hundred pitches, giving up a two-run homer to David Ortiz in the 6th inning, but the Cardinals were able to give him some needed run support in the 7th inning to help him win. John Lackey pitched well for Boston, but he was charged with two of the aforementioned 7th-inning runs to end up as the losing pitcher. Also for StL, Beltran was back in the lineup, going 2-for-4 and knocking in a run.

So this is the first time in just about 27 years that the Red Sox have lost a World Series game. It ends a streak of 9.

True, the last WS game they lost was game 7 against the Mets in 1986...after they lost game 6 in dramatic fashion. Another tragedy for Boston that year.

Written By: nally on 10/25/13 at 12:43 pm

True, the last WS game they lost was game 7 against the Mets in 1986...after they lost game 6 in dramatic fashion. Another tragedy for Boston that year.

Right...and that dramatic game 6 was played 27 years ago today.

Written By: warped on 10/25/13 at 2:20 pm

Right...and that dramatic game 6 was played 27 years ago today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18caPNisP2U

:\'(

Vin Scully with the call.

Written By: nally on 10/25/13 at 4:52 pm

^ The famous call by Vin Scully... after several pitches had been fouled off, and a wild pitch had brought home the tying run for NYM.

Those 1986 Mets were managed by Davey Johnson, who this year has retired as manager of the Washington Nationals. According to reports, he will be succeeded in 2014 by Matt Williams, who had been a coach for the Arizona Diamondbacks since being hired as their first-base coach after the 2009 season (and later moving to third base, a position he played during his playing career). Williams had also played for the Dbacks (1998-2003), winning a World Series with them in 2001; he was also a member of the San Francisco Giants (1987-96) and Cleveland Indians (1997).

Written By: warped on 10/25/13 at 5:41 pm

^ The famous call by Vin Scully... after several pitches had been fouled off, and a wild pitch had brought home the tying run for NYM.

Those 1986 Mets were managed by Davey Johnson, who this year has retired as manager of the Washington Nationals. According to reports, he will be succeeded in 2014 by Matt Williams, who had been a coach for the Arizona Diamondbacks since being hired as their first-base coach after the 2009 season (and later moving to third base, a position he played during his playing career). Williams had also played for the Dbacks (1998-2003), winning a World Series with them in 2001; he was also a member of the San Francisco Giants (1987-96) and Cleveland Indians (1997).

Davey Johnson was also a good baseball player and was involved in a few World Series with Baltimore. His position was mainly 2nd base. He played on the same teams as Hall of famers Brooks and Frank Robinson. I am sure you heard of them before. One year with ATL he hit 43 home runs, which was the only time he hit more than 20 in a season. I still have a couple of his baseball cards from when he was a player.

Written By: nally on 10/25/13 at 7:47 pm

Davey Johnson was also a good baseball player and was involved in a few World Series with Baltimore. His position was mainly 2nd base. He played on the same teams as Hall of famers Brooks and Frank Robinson. I am sure you heard of them before. One year with ATL he hit 43 home runs, which was the only time he hit more than 20 in a season. I still have a couple of his baseball cards from when he was a player.

Yes, he was a member of the 1966 Baltimore team that swept the Dodgers (a team that he'd manage in 1999 and 2000), the 1970 Baltimore team that beat the Reds (another team he later managed, 1993-95) in 5, and the 1969 team that lost to the Mets. He even later managed the Orioles for a couple of seasons (1996 and '97).

FTR, I have some of his baseball cards from when he was a manager, but only with the Mets. I know Topps produced cards for managers for a number of years.

Written By: nally on 10/27/13 at 9:48 am

And so, Game Three ends in a rather odd way... an obstruction call is called on Boston 3B Will Middlebrooks as pinch-hitter Allen Craig (who'd gotten a double to move Yadi Molina to third) trips over him and scampers home to score the winning run. This is after Molina was tagged out at the plate, Saltalamacchia threw to third but the throw got away, so another fielder got the ball and threw home as Craig, who had injured himself early last month, ran as fast as he could towards the plate.

Written By: nally on 10/28/13 at 10:17 am

And now the Series is tied up at 2 games apiece. Jonny Gomes of Boston broke a 1-1 tie with a three-run homer in the top of the 6th inning, and the Sox went on to win Game Four by a score of 4-2. The game ended on a pickoff play: closer Koji Uehara, who allowed a single to pinch-hitter Allen Craig, caught pinch-runner Kolten Wong (sent in to pinch-run for Craig) wandering off the bag with Carlos Beltran at the plate and two out. So Uehara threw to first... and kapow!... Wong was picked off. What a way for a World Series game to end.

This means there will be a Game Six in Boston on Wednesday night.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/28/13 at 11:36 am

This series is like a Marx Brothers Movie of Baseball. 

Written By: nally on 10/29/13 at 3:40 pm

And now the Sox have a 3-games-to-2 edge as the series heads back to Boston on Wednesday night. David Ortiz seems to be the top contributor to the Sox' offense; if his team ends up winning it all, he just might be named MVP. What is he now, 11 for 15 in the series?

Of course, in Game Six, the Cardinals are sending Mike Wacha to the mound (he's been brilliant this year); the Red Sox will have to get past him in order to clinch the series with that game... or do it in Game Seven on Halloween night (weather permitting).

Written By: warped on 10/29/13 at 3:45 pm

Ortiz is the MVP if the Sox win.
But they have to win 1 more game. Wacha has been dominant in the playoffs. I think this is going to a 7th game.

If Boston wins the series, first time clinching at home in almost 100 years  :o

Written By: danootaandme on 10/29/13 at 5:28 pm

Ortiz is the MVP if the Sox win.
But they have to win 1 more game. Wacha has been dominant in the playoffs. I think this is going to a 7th game.

If Boston wins the series, first time clinching at home in almost 100 years  :o

1918.  That was the year the traded Babe Ruth to the Yankees and didn't win another series until 2004.

Written By: warped on 10/30/13 at 6:17 am

Tonight is game 6 of the World Series. The last 2 times Boston was involved in a game 6 of the World Series, it was a pretty boring game, no drama whatsoever.

oh yeah...there's that Fisk home run thing
oh yeah...and that Bill Buckner thing...

If tonight is anything like those nights, we are in for some heavy drama!

Written By: warped on 10/30/13 at 10:42 pm

2013 World Series Champions

http://newmediadl.cas.msu.edu/sites/default/files/uploads/users/1002/RedSoxLogo.gif

http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo252/crazauntie/Disney/snow-white-dance.gif

Written By: karen on 10/31/13 at 7:08 am

^ like

I didn't follow any of the matches but Dai watched some of the on-line broadcasts

Written By: nally on 10/31/13 at 10:47 am

2013 World Series Champions

http://newmediadl.cas.msu.edu/sites/default/files/uploads/users/1002/RedSoxLogo.gif

http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo252/crazauntie/Disney/snow-white-dance.gif

...on their home field for the first time in 95 years!!

David Ortiz being named MVP came as no surprise. Too bad they chose to IBB him three times, though.

Written By: nally on 10/31/13 at 10:50 am

In addition, the Gold Glove winners were announced yesterday, hours before the start of the game. Four of those players were on the World Series rosters: C Yadier Molina and P Adam Wainwright of STL, and 2B Dustin Pedroia and RF Shane Victorino of BOS. Speaking of Victorino, he provided a couple of clutch hits in last night's World Series game, including an RBI double (although he got to 3rd base) to get the Sox on the board.

Written By: warped on 10/31/13 at 1:16 pm

...on their home field for the first time in 95 years!!

David Ortiz being named MVP came as no surprise. Too bad they chose to IBB him three times, though.

Right move for STL. He was hitting over .700 when the game began, while the rest of the team was hitting below .200. I'd walk him any chance I got.

Now Boston has 3  WS championships since the year 2000, most of any team.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/31/13 at 2:00 pm

Right move for STL. He was hitting over .700 when the game began, while the rest of the team was hitting below .200. I'd walk him any chance I got.

Now Boston has 3  WS championships since the year 2000, most of any team.

I hate the intentional walk  >:(

Written By: nally on 10/31/13 at 6:10 pm

Bonds was getting that treatment for a time during the early-mid 2000s (including a few times in the '02 World Series).

Written By: warped on 11/01/13 at 1:38 am

I hate that the NL and AL have played by different rules for 40 years (specifically the DH) I hate the DH but MLB needs to go all out one way or another, DH or no DH.

Bonds was getting that treatment for a time during the early-mid 2000s (including a few times in the '02 World Series).

He did hit 168 home runs in a 3 year period (2000 to 2002) I'd walk him if anyone was on base! :D
If my team had a huge lead , I'd walk him with the bases loaded too...esp if the guy behind him wasn't hitting well.

Written By: nally on 11/01/13 at 12:07 pm

I hate that the NL and AL have played by different rules for 40 years (specifically the DH) I hate the DH but MLB needs to go all out one way or another, DH or no DH.

Personally I'd vote against it; there's no reason why a pitcher should never bat. He's a player, just like the other 8 guys. And lots of pitchers have shown to be accomplished hitters.

He did hit 168 home runs in a 3 year period (2000 to 2002) I'd walk him if anyone was on base! :D
If my team had a huge lead , I'd walk him with the bases loaded too...esp if the guy behind him wasn't hitting well.

Yeah, good point. I actually have seen that sorta thing a few times.

Written By: nally on 11/04/13 at 4:18 pm

Tigers new manager: Brad Ausmus. He replaces Jim Leyland, who retired from the position not too long ago.
Ausmus, who was a major league catcher, played for a number of different teams from 1993-2010, including the Baltimore Orioles and L.A. Dodgers. I even have his rookie card!

Written By: nally on 11/06/13 at 6:57 pm

Okay, so the Silver Slugger Awards have been handed out today. Among the winners was Dodgers starting pitcher Zack Greinke, who was one of the best-hitting pitchers in the majors this year. O0

Written By: nally on 11/12/13 at 9:54 am

Congratulations to:

Wil Myers of the Tampa Bay Rays (AL)
and
Jose Fernandez of the Miami Marlins (NL)

for winning the 2013 Rookie Of The Year awards.

(For the record, Yasiel Puig of the L.A. Dodgers came in 2nd on the National League side.)

Written By: warped on 11/12/13 at 12:11 pm

Yes, I saw that news about Rookie Of The Year.

So the NL and AL Manager of the Year will be revealed Tuesday (today), with the Cy Young winners Wednesday and MVPs on Thursday.

Awards week!

Written By: nally on 11/13/13 at 12:01 am

Managers of the Year for 2013:

NL: Clint Hurdle (Pirates)
AL: Terry Francona (Indians)

Both of these guys have previous managerial experience (that is, with other teams).

Written By: nally on 11/13/13 at 5:58 pm

So the Cy Young winners have been announced.

In the AL: Max Scherzer of the Detroit Tigers. I had a feeling he'd be the likely winner.
In the NL: Clayton Kershaw of the L.A. Dodgers. This is his second Cy Young Award, the first being two years ago. 8)

Written By: warped on 11/13/13 at 6:03 pm

So the Cy Young winners have been announced.

In the AL: Max Scherzer of the Detroit Tigers. I had a feeling he'd be the likely winner.
In the NL: Clayton Kershaw of the L.A. Dodgers. This is his second Cy Young Award, the first being two years ago. 8)

No surprises there. If Kershaw would not have won, I would have fallen off my chair.  His ERA and hits versus inning pitched ratio was astounding.

Tomorrow we will know who was MVP.

Written By: warped on 11/14/13 at 6:24 pm

Miguel Cabrera (AL) and Andrew McCutchen (NL) collect 2013 MVP awards.
No real surprises.

Written By: nally on 11/14/13 at 10:31 pm

Miguel Cabrera (AL) and Andrew McCutchen (NL) collect 2013 MVP awards.
No real surprises.

I had a feeling they'd be the winners. For Miggy, this is the second year in a row he's won the AL MVP award.

Written By: nally on 11/28/13 at 6:34 pm

And this year was pitcher Ted Lilly's final season in the majors. It was reported on MLB Network earlier today that he's announcing his retirement.

He began his career with the Montreal Expos, and also played for the Yankees, A's, Blue Jays, Cubs, and Dodgers.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/veteran-left-hander-ted-lilly-confirms-retirement?ymd=20131127&content_id=64259390&vkey=news_mlb

Written By: warped on 12/07/13 at 1:28 pm

So, looks like Robinson Cano is going to Seattle, and the Yankees have signed Carlos Beltran and looks like the Red Sox have lost Jacob Ellbury to the Yankees as well. We shall see.  Does Soriano go back to 2B for the Yanks? They have quite a few outfielders now.

Written By: nally on 12/07/13 at 4:20 pm

So, looks like Robinson Cano is going to Seattle, and the Yankees have signed Carlos Beltran and looks like the Red Sox have lost Jacob Ellbury to the Yankees as well. We shall see.  Does Soriano go back to 2B for the Yanks? They have quite a few outfielders now.

They sure do. Someone's gotta play 2B for them.

Written By: nally on 12/07/13 at 4:34 pm

Also... today is the 23rd birthday of a player who made his MLB debut this past season with the L.A. Dodgers... Yasiel Puig!

¡Feliz Cumpleaños Yasiel!
https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/q71/s720x720/1475903_10152419469248508_1462707077_n.jpg

Written By: warped on 12/09/13 at 7:56 pm

Pitcher Roy Halladay retired today.  A very good career.

Written By: nally on 12/09/13 at 11:44 pm

Pitcher Roy Halladay retired today.  A very good career.

Indeed. I just heard about this.

I wonder if he'll get into the HOF on his first ballot (come 2019 or so)?

Written By: warped on 12/10/13 at 7:51 am

Indeed. I just heard about this.

I wonder if he'll get into the HOF on his first ballot (come 2019 or so)?

He shouldn't get in on the first ballot, but you never know what MLB will do. Lots of pitchers who won more games than he did aren't in yet, but then again he was one of the better pitchers over the last 15 years. 203 wins, but a great won-lost ratio. 2 Cy Youngs. No World Series appearances.

Written By: nally on 12/10/13 at 9:50 am

He shouldn't get in on the first ballot, but you never know what MLB will do. Lots of pitchers who won more games than he did aren't in yet, but then again he was one of the better pitchers over the last 15 years. 203 wins, but a great won-lost ratio. 2 Cy Youngs. No World Series appearances.

Good point. He also threw the second-ever no-hitter in postseason history: a win over the Reds in Game 1 of their 2010 NLDS, allowing only one baserunner (who walked).

But I can think of one pitcher who retired this year who should likely get in on his first ballot... Mariano Rivera.

Written By: warped on 12/10/13 at 10:13 am

Good point. He also threw the second-ever no-hitter in postseason history: a win over the Reds in Game 1 of their 2010 NLDS, allowing only one baserunner (who walked).

But I can think of one pitcher who retired this year who should likely get in on his first ballot... Mariano Rivera.

He might get in with the highest pct ever,  so far the highest pct belongs to Tom Seaver 98.84%.

Written By: nally on 12/10/13 at 10:15 am

He might get in with the highest pct ever,  so far the highest pct belongs to Tom Seaver 98.84%.

And how long has Seaver been on the ballot?

Written By: warped on 12/10/13 at 10:23 am

And how long has Seaver been on the ballot?

He got in the first year he was eligible.

Written By: nally on 12/10/13 at 2:27 pm

He got in the first year he was eligible.

Oh yes...that's right. Of course he did. (Sorry, I guess I must've misread something. No worries.)

As far as HOF elections go, yesterday morning three long-time managers were elected by the Expansion Era Committee (Bobby Cox, Joe Torre, and Tony LaRussa); I mentioned this yesterday on LSTE. A full story can even be read here.

Written By: warped on 01/08/14 at 3:36 pm

MLB HALL OF FAME:

Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, Frank Thomas earn Hall of Fame honors as largest class since 1999 is elected.

Maddux was the leader with 555 votes, which represented 97.2 percent of the vote. Glavine received 525 votes (91.9 percent) and Thomas 478 (83.7).

Craig Biggio...missed it by that much. (2 votes)

Seriously, 16 people didn't vote for Maddux? 

By the way, Bonds received 34.7 percent of the vote, while Clemens did slightly better at 35.4.  You need 75% to get in.

Written By: nally on 01/08/14 at 6:34 pm

MLB HALL OF FAME:

Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, Frank Thomas earn Hall of Fame honors as largest class since 1999 is elected.

Maddux was the leader with 555 votes, which represented 97.2 percent of the vote. Glavine received 525 votes (91.9 percent) and Thomas 478 (83.7).

Craig Biggio...missed it by that much. (2 votes)

Seriously, 16 people didn't vote for Maddux? 

By the way, Bonds received 34.7 percent of the vote, while Clemens did slightly better at 35.4.  You need 75% to get in.

I missed it. Congratz to these three guys. I'm glad they got in. 8)

Check for new replies or respond here...