inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2014 WORLD CUP OF FOOTBALL (SOCCER)

Written By: warped on 12/06/13 at 2:26 pm

Here's how the 32 nations will be grouped at the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil following Friday's draw ceremony:

GROUP A
BRAZIL
CROATIA
MEXICO
CAMEROON

GROUP B
SPAIN
NETHERLANDS
CHILE
AUSTRALIA

GROUP C
COLOMBIA
GREECE
IVORY COAST
JAPAN

GROUP D
URUGUAY
COSTA RICA
ENGLAND
ITALY

GROUP E
SWITZERLAND
ECUADOR
FRANCE
HONDURAS

GROUP F
ARGENTINA
BOSNIA-HERZEGOVINA
IRAN
NIGERIA

GROUP G
GERMANY
PORTUGAL
GHANA
UNITED STATES

GROUP H
BELGIUM
ALGERIA
RUSSIA
SOUTH KOREA

Subject: Re: 2014 WORLD CUP OF FOOTBALL (SOCCER)

Written By: warped on 12/06/13 at 2:29 pm

Groups B and D seems like groups of death to me.

USA and Australia are in tough.  I am already looking forward to Spain/Netherlands, England/Italy and Germany/Portugal.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/06/13 at 2:52 pm

Quote from Gary Lineker:

"Tough draw, but a couple of nil nils and a win against Costa Rica should see England through."

Written By: Henk on 12/06/13 at 2:59 pm

Groups B and D seems like groups of death to me.

USA and Australia are in tough.  I am already looking forward to Spain/Netherlands, England/Italy and Germany/Portugal.

Not a very lucky draw for us...or for Spain. Most likely either one of those teams will finish 2nd in Group B, which means they'll be facing winners of Group A (most likely Brazil) in next round! You certainly don't want to end up there...

We still have a bone to pick with Spain (remember the WC 2010 Final?), so that's certainly something to look forward to. ::) We really need to win that one.

I expect Germany vs Portugal to be a very unpleasant game to watch...

Written By: warped on 12/07/13 at 1:07 pm

I expect Germany vs Portugal to be a very unpleasant game to watch...

Why is that? ( other than I know you don't like the German football team)

Written By: Henk on 12/07/13 at 3:39 pm

Why is that? ( other than I know you don't like the German football team)

For some reason I'm expecting a very physical game, with lots of fouls and probably one or two players sent off.

And you're right, I'm not particularly fond of the German team...but I like the Portugese even less! ;D (It's one of those teams that "we" can't seem to beat)

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/10/13 at 3:12 pm

The BBC will broadcast England’s first match at the 2014 FIFA World Cup, the group game against Italy

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/14/13 at 8:27 am

French World Cup winner Thierry Henry will join the BBC team covering the 2014 tournament in Brazil next summer

Written By: warped on 12/14/13 at 10:22 am

French World Cup winner Thierry Henry will join the BBC team covering the 2014 tournament in Brazil next summer

I am sure Thierry will love to lend " a hand" to the broadcast (Sorry Ireland fans)

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/14/13 at 10:22 am

A worker dies after falling from the roof of the Amazon stadium where England open their 2014 World Cup campaign

Written By: warped on 06/12/14 at 7:21 am

First game is today.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/12/14 at 8:03 am

First game is today.
Hosts Brazil kick off the tournament against Croatia

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t1.0-9/10441906_10152410497868762_5725540780290125840_n.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/12/14 at 8:04 am

The England team visited an orphanage in Brazil today. "It's heartbreaking to see their sad little faces with no hope." said Jose, aged 6.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/12/14 at 8:16 am

England's Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain is recovering so well from a medial ligament strain that he is exhausting the medical staff charged with overseeing his recovery, according to fellow England midfielder James Milner.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/12/14 at 8:21 am

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/live-experience/cps/512/media/images/75475000/jpg/_75475006_c3634c4d-35ad-4c9a-b14c-44f968f2ba80.jpg
England jet off to Manaus

...don't bother unpacking!

Written By: Paul on 06/12/14 at 8:23 am

The BBC will broadcast England’s first match at the 2014 FIFA World Cup, the group game against Italy

One of those games where I won't be sure if I'll be able to stay awake - not only owing to the late time it's on, but England's heart-stopping dynamic style of play... ::)

Italy are beatable, but England will make hard work of it. If we manage to struggle through this group, we've done well...

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/12/14 at 8:33 am

One of those games where I won't be sure if I'll be able to stay awake - not only owing to the late time it's on, but England's heart-stopping dynamic style of play... ::)

Italy are beatable, but England will make hard work of it. If we manage to struggle through this group, we've done well...
I had not realised that the England game is going to start that late, 22:20!!!!

Written By: Paul on 06/12/14 at 8:37 am

I had not realised that the England game is going to start that late, 22:20!!!!

Yep! Special dispensation for the pubs to stay open late for this match - so if we do get a sound walloping, anyone who owns a car of Italian origin should make sure it's locked up!

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/12/14 at 9:24 am

Yep! Special dispensation for the pubs to stay open late for this match - so if we do get a sound walloping, anyone who owns a car of Italian origin should make sure it's locked up!
That means the pub near me will be noisy and open late!

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/12/14 at 9:25 am

The Robin Hood pub in Jarrow has been covered with more than 200 flags

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t1.0-9/10306760_10152100039207217_3767546862049933592_n.jpg

Written By: Paul on 06/12/14 at 10:27 am

The Robin Hood pub in Jarrow has been covered with more than 200 flags

Oddly (or perhaps not), compared with other past tournaments, I've hardly seen a flag anywhere!

Cynicism, pragmatism, or just plain 'couldn't-be-asked'-ism?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/12/14 at 2:11 pm

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/75491000/jpg/_75491713_openingceremony144.jpg

The 2014 Fifa World Cup officially got under way on Thursday with a colourful opening ceremony before hosts Brazil kicked off against Croatia. A cast of 660 dancers paid tribute to the country's nature, people and football with a show around a "living" ball on the Arena de Sao Paulo pitch. The final act saw a performance of official World Cup song "We Are One" by Jennifer Lopez and rapper Pitbull.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/12/14 at 2:42 pm

LINE-UPS

Brazil v Croatia (21:00 BST)

Brazil: Julio Cesar, Dani Alves, Thiago Silva, Luiz, Marcelo, Paulinho, Gustavo, Hulk, Oscar, Neymar, Fred. Subs: Jefferson, Fernandinho, Dante, Maxwell, Henrique, Ramires, Hernanes, Willian, Bernard, Jo, Maicon, Victor.

Croatia: Pletikosa, Srna, Corluka, Lovren, Vrsaljko, Modric, Rakitic, Perisic, Kovacic, Olic, Jelavic. Subs: Zelenika, Pranjic, Vukojevic, Schildenfeld, Brozovic, Rebic, Sammir, Vida, Eduardo, Subasic.

Referee: Yuichi Nishimura (Japan)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/12/14 at 3:14 pm

GOAL
Brazil 0-1 Croatia - Marcelo Own Goal

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/12/14 at 3:45 pm

GOAL
Brazil 1-1 Croatia - Neymar

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL de Brazil!
The place erupts as Neymar fires in from 25 yards! It's fine play from Oscar, who beats two men in midfield and finds the number 10 in space. He advances a few yards before hitting in a left-footer which finds the base of the post and in. Superb.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/12/14 at 3:51 pm

HALF-TIME

Brazil 1-1 Croatia

Cracking. Absolutely cracking. You don't see many first-halves like that in the opening game of a tournament.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/12/14 at 4:33 pm

GOAL

Brazil 2-1 Croatia - Neymar (Pen)

Stipe Pletikosa gets a firm hand to Neymar's penalty - but the ball still finds the corner. The boy wonder has his second, but that leaves a bad taste in the mouth for Croatia who are livid.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/13/14 at 4:19 am

Neymar claimed Brazil's 3-1 win over Croatia in their opening World Cup match exceeded his dreams. The Barcelona forward scored twice to ensure the tournament hosts got off to a winning start in Group A.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/13/14 at 4:23 am

Friday 13th June 2014 Fixtures

FIFA World Cup - Group A
Mexico V Cameroon

FIFA World Cup - Group B
Spain V Netherlands
Chile Vs Australia

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/13/14 at 4:34 am

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t1.0-9/10433084_10152490923741108_3136575488163080794_n.jpg

Stay on the bus...

Written By: Paul on 06/13/14 at 5:02 am

Neymar claimed Brazil's 3-1 win over Croatia in their opening World Cup match exceeded his dreams. The Barcelona forward scored twice to ensure the tournament hosts got off to a winning start in Group A.

Quite honestly, the guy was lucky to still be on the pitch with that elbow on Modric in the first half - but hey! It's Brazil! There'd have been all out war if he'd walked... ::)

Friday 13th June 2014 Fixtures

FIFA World Cup - Group B
Spain V Netherlands

Forget everything else...THIS is the one all eyes will be on! A punch-up interrupted by a game of football, perhaps?  ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/13/14 at 5:18 am

Forget everything else...THIS is the one all eyes will be on! A punch-up interrupted by a game of football, perhaps?  ;)
Kick off at 8pm (in the UK), is that the time for the watershed?

Written By: Henk on 06/13/14 at 5:44 am

Quite honestly, the guy was lucky to still be on the pitch with that elbow on Modric in the first half - but hey! It's Brazil! There'd have been all out war if he'd walked... ::)

Very poor performance from hosts Brazil last night. Croatia deserved a draw (or more). Some of the referee's decisions were arguable, and most of them were in favor of Brazil. That penalty was quite undeserved, IMHO.

Nah, we already tried that four years ago and it didn't work. ;) Besides, there's a very different line-up compared to that match. I'm not expecting any miracles, but a draw would be nice.

Written By: warped on 06/13/14 at 7:03 am

Very poor performance from hosts Brazil last night. Croatia deserved a draw (or more). Some of the referee's decisions were arguable, and most of them were in favor of Brazil. That penalty was quite undeserved, IMHO.

Agreed with everything you said. 

Spain V Netherlands

Looking forward to this one.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/13/14 at 7:09 am

Astronauts at the International Space Station have shown off their football skills as the World Cup opens in Brazil

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t1.0-9/10410258_10153408362517588_2138506913926512046_n.jpg

Written By: Paul on 06/13/14 at 7:31 am

I'm not expecting any miracles, but a draw would be nice.

I'll be quietly willing the Orange Men for some kind of result (if only to shut Spain up!), but I think it has 'draw' written all over it...

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/13/14 at 10:49 am

LINEUPS

Second match in Group A
Mexico v Cameroon (17:00 BST)

Mexico: Ochoa, Layun, Moreno, Marquez, Rodriguez, Aguilar, Guardado, Vazquez, Herrera, Giovani, Peralta. Subs: Corona, Salcido, Reyes, Fabian, Jimenez, Pulido, Hernandez, Ponce, Brizuela, Aquino, Pena, Talavera.

Cameroon: Itandje, Djeugoue, N'Koulou, Chedjou, Assou-Ekotto, Song, Mbia, Enoh, Moukandjo, Eto'o, Choupo-Moting. Subs: Feudjou, Nounkeu, Aboubakar, Makoun, Bedimo, Webo, Fabrice, Salli, Matip, Nyom, N'Djock.

Referee: Wilmar Roldan Perez (Colombia)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/13/14 at 10:57 am

Mexico v Cameroon (17:00 BST)

Kick off is not far away and although the rain has subsided a bit, the Estadio das Dunas is certainly not packed to capacity. The fans that are there are very vocal and very colourful, but between them there are plenty of empty blue seats on show.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/13/14 at 11:17 am

DISALLOWED GOAL
Mexico 0-0 Cameroon

A huge roar goes up inside the stadium as Mexico think they take the lead, only for it to be chalked off for offside. It was a contentious decision though as Hector Herrara whipped in a perfect cross from the right and Giovani Dos Santos got away from his marker to volley home. Looked onside.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/13/14 at 11:52 am

FIFA provisionally bans World Cup winner Franz Beckenbauer from all footballing activities for 90 days.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/13/14 at 11:59 am

HALF-TIME
Mexico 0-0 Cameroon

"No goals but three times the ball has been in the back of the net. Twice from Mexico forward Giovani dos Santos and one of those appeared to be a very bad decision. Once again refereeing decision here are the talking point."

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/13/14 at 12:35 pm

GOAL
Mexico 1-0 Cameroon - Oribe Peralta

Finally the deadlock is broken and, on the balance of play, it is a deserved goal for Mexico. Hector Herrera starts the move by feeding a pass to Giovani dos Santos just outside the area and he finds space between two defenders to shoot low at goal. Charles Itandje gets a hand to the shot but fails to hold the ball and Oribe Peralta steals in to sweep home. A real poacher's finish.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/13/14 at 1:04 pm

FULL-TIME
Mexico 1-0 Cameroon

"Mexico have been exceptional and have rightly won the game. We saw some terrible refereeing decisions, but the game was a great spectacle. I didn't fancy Mexico before the game but they were outstanding."

Written By: karen on 06/13/14 at 3:33 pm

Oddly (or perhaps not), compared with other past tournaments, I've hardly seen a flag anywhere!

Cynicism, pragmatism, or just plain 'couldn't-be-asked'-ism?

They've just gone up in the past day or so round here

Written By: Paul on 06/13/14 at 3:51 pm

Spain 1 - 5 Holland

What the f*** happened here?  :o

Did Spain turn up?

A result of pretty much awesome proportions for the Dutch! Especially that second half! :)

To put it into some kind of perspective, the odds of this scoreline were 500/1!

To put it into even starker perspective - this is the first time Spain has had five thumped past them in an international since 1963...

...against Scotland, of all people!  Fantastic performance and well deserved! Our turn tomorrow...hope Italy capitulate just as easily!

I'll be quietly willing the Orange Men for some kind of result (if only to shut Spain up!), but I think it has 'draw' written all over it...

This is (ahem!) why I'm not a betting man!  ;)

Written By: Henk on 06/13/14 at 3:59 pm

Spain 1 - 5 Holland

What the f*** happened here?  :o

You took the words right out of my mouth. ;D :D

Did Spain turn up?

I'm sure they were there...somewhere, all over the place! :D

A result of pretty much awesome proportions for the Dutch! :)

To put it into some kind of perspective, the odds of this scoreline were 500/1!

To put it into even starker perspective - this is the first time Spain has had five thumped past them in an international since 1963...

...against Scotland, of all people!

It's good to know we're in good company.

And all this in spite of going 1-0 down after a penalty (that I think shouldn't have been a penalty). To be fair, it wasn't looking like much until the rather unexpected equalizer. The second half was all Dutch.

Now let's see if we can keep up the good work. We have a history of effing things up in the "easy" matches. ::)

Written By: Paul on 06/13/14 at 4:04 pm

The second half was all Dutch.

Whatever someone put in their half-time drinks, can we have some?

Written By: Henk on 06/14/14 at 12:49 am

Whatever someone put in their half-time drinks, can we have some?

I think it's a secret mixture of inspiration and self-confidence. ;)

Written By: Henk on 06/14/14 at 12:57 am

Meanwhile, in the same group:

Chili 3 - 1 Australia

I'm guessing no-one around here has seen that game (live, that is).

Anyway, with Australia being our next opponent we have the opportunity of eliminating that country for the next stage.

Written By: Paul on 06/14/14 at 1:35 am

Not only that, but that result gives Chile the impetus to go for the unthinkable...sure, losing the first game is never the best result (who do you think lost their first game in the previous World Cup? Spain!), but that scoreline will have hurt them badly - so that will also be a must-watch game (assuming it's not on in the witching hour!)

Written By: Henk on 06/14/14 at 3:45 pm

Group C result:

Colombia 3 - 0 Greece

Written By: Paul on 06/14/14 at 3:48 pm

Group C result:

Colombia 3 - 0 Greece

Pretty much as expected - still amazes me to this day how the Greeks won the Euros a decade ago!

Stirrings going on in Group D's first game - Uruguay staring defeat in the face from unfavoured Costa Rica! Who'd've thought?

Written By: Henk on 06/14/14 at 3:54 pm

Meanwhile, in Group D...

Uruguay 1 - 3 Costa Rica

...What the heck?!? :o

Written By: Paul on 06/14/14 at 3:57 pm

Meanwhile, in Group D...

Uruguay 1 - 3 Costa Rica

...What the heck?!? :o

Getting interesting, ain't it?  ;)

Now Germany AND Argentina losing their openers...highly unlikely, but THAT would be something else!

Right...who's on next? Oh! Yeah...them!

Written By: Henk on 06/14/14 at 4:02 pm

Getting interesting, ain't it?  ;)

To say the least!

Not that I expect Costa Rica to make it to the next round, though. This is just one of those days.

Now Germany AND Argentina losing their openers...highly unlikely, but THAT would be something else!

Stranger things have happened in the past...

Right...who's on next? Oh! Yeah...them!

Game starts at midnight (our time), so I won't be staying up. Good luck to you!

Written By: Henk on 06/15/14 at 12:31 am

Group D result:

England 1 - 2 Italy

Not quite the result Paul was hoping for, so I don't blame him for not telling. ;)

Group C result:

Ivory Coast 2 - 1 Japan

Another one of those midniters that no-one cares enough about to stay awake for.

Written By: Paul on 06/15/14 at 3:02 am

Group D result:

England 1 - 2 Italy

Not quite the result Paul was hoping for, so I don't blame him for not telling. ;)

Actually, I've not long woken up!  :-[  (I won't stay up THAT late again in a hurry!)

There's hope and there's expectation...with our mob, I normally go for the latter! There were some positives, but simply not enough. Still, at least we know what we gotta do now!  :P

Written By: Henk on 06/15/14 at 10:03 am

There's hope and there's expectation...with our mob, I normally go for the latter! There were some positives, but simply not enough. Still, at least we know what we gotta do now!  :P

All is not lost. In fact, I have good hopes of both you and Italy progressing to the next stage. :)

Written By: Paul on 06/15/14 at 12:09 pm

All is not lost. In fact, I have good hopes of both you and Italy progressing to the next stage. :)

Well, time alone will tell, but we do enjoy doing things the hard way!

Moving onto Group E today

Switzerland v Ecuador - (1-1 as I write)

France v Honduras - possible physical one here

And Group F in the midnight hour...

Argentina v Bosnia-Hercegovina - no point in watching this (gotta work in the morning anyhow!) as this should be a foregone...

Written By: Henk on 06/15/14 at 12:53 pm

Well, time alone will tell, but we do enjoy doing things the hard way!

Moving onto Group E today

Switzerland v Ecuador - (1-1 as I write)

...but the Swiss steal it in the dying minutes of the game!

Switzerland 2 - 1 Ecuador

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/16/14 at 3:25 am

Group D result:

England 1 - 2 Italy

I totally avoided the England game on Saturday, but could still the neighbours, shouting then moaning and groaning.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/16/14 at 3:46 am

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t1.0-9/10372072_10152497592751108_7837244176815246588_n.png

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/16/14 at 3:49 am

Group F result:

Argentina 2 v 1 Bosnia-Hercegovina
Lionel Messi admits to nerves during Argentina's win over Bosnia-Hercegovina in their opening Fifa World Cup game

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/16/14 at 3:50 am

Group E result:

France 3 v 0 Honduras
Honduras coach Luis Suarez says use of goalline technology at Fifa World Cup was confusing as his side lost to France

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/16/14 at 3:50 am

ENGLAND: Steven Gerrard believes the fearless approach of Raheem Sterling can play a crucial role in reviving England's hopes

Written By: Paul on 06/16/14 at 4:24 am

ENGLAND: Steven Gerrard believes the fearless approach of Raheem Sterling can play a crucial role in reviving England's hopes

The revival had better come pretty quickly then... ;)

A wonderful piece of FIFA fixture planning today, with the 'big' tie of Group G on first, so most of us travelling home from work will miss most of it...

Germany v Portugal

Then it's back to Group F for what promises to be...interesting  ???

Iran v Nigeria  (well, if you're Iranian or Nigerian it could feasibly be!)

Then our US friends join in with the 'soccer' (spit!) fun...

Ghana v USA

Written By: Paul on 06/16/14 at 4:25 am

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t1.0-9/10372072_10152497592751108_7837244176815246588_n.png

I thought Ceefax had died...

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/16/14 at 4:27 am

The revival had better come pretty quickly then... ;)

A wonderful piece of FIFA fixture planning today, with the 'big' tie of Group G on first, so most of us travelling home from work will miss most of it...

Germany v Portugal

Then it's back to Group F for what promises to be...interesting  ???

Iran v Nigeria  (well, if you're Iranian or Nigerian it could feasibly be!)

Then our US friends join in with the 'soccer' (spit!) fun...

Ghana v USA
I would not mind seeing the USA game, but it is late for us to watch!

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/16/14 at 4:27 am

The BBC are promoting these images on Facebook, do they know something we don't know?

Written By: Paul on 06/16/14 at 6:43 am

I totally avoided the England game on Saturday, but could still the neighbours, shouting then moaning and groaning.

I assume the shouting, moaning and groaning was them watching football and not in the throes of...well, you know!

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/16/14 at 6:50 am

I assume the shouting, moaning and groaning was them watching football and not in the throes of...well, you know!
It is interesting to note that the next two England games are at a reasonable hour of 8pm and 5pm, how many sickies will there be?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/16/14 at 7:26 am

Japanese fans clean stadium after losing 2-1 against Ivory Coast

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t1.0-9/10428528_10152114939701636_3633207600754325819_n.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/16/14 at 8:29 am

Cristiano Ronaldo declared himself fit to spearhead Portugal's World Cup campaign, but does not feel pressure to reproduce his form at club level. Ronaldo has suffered from knee and thigh injuries, but said: "I'm at 100%. I want to have a great World Cup."

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/16/14 at 11:53 am

RED CARD

You can always rely on Portugal defender Pepe to spontaneously combust. The Real Madrid centre-half sticks his arm into Thomas Muller's mantelpiece and, although the German forward makes a meal of it, Pepe's follow-up jab with his forehead gives the referee no choice. Off you go. Portugal are two goals down and one man down.

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/live-experience/cps/512/media/images/75571000/jpg/_75571175_d63bd430-032b-4ebd-8e06-d048168f6bc8.jpg

HALF-TIME: Germany 3-0 Portugal

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/16/14 at 12:09 pm

Group D result:

England 1 - 2 Italy

England manager Roy Hodgson admits that he needs to get striker Wayne Rooney into the penalty area more often

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/16/14 at 1:07 pm

A Thomas Muller hat-trick gave Germany a comprehensive 4-0 win over 10-man Portugal in Salvador.

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t1.0-9/10463968_10152426175413762_5256307218737827899_n.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/16/14 at 1:38 pm

The BBC receives 445 complaints from viewers about Phil Neville's BBC One commentary on England's World Cup match against Italy.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/16/14 at 3:54 pm

FULL-TIME: Iran 0-0 Nigeria

Poor quality match ends in stalemate and the first draw of 2014 Fifa World Cup

Written By: Henk on 06/16/14 at 4:29 pm

It has!  If Argentina score two goals and Bosnia-Hercegovina score one, then the score must be... two minus one is one, right? :-\\ :D

Written By: Paul on 06/16/14 at 5:41 pm

England manager Roy Hodgson admits that he needs to get striker Wayne Rooney into the penalty area more often

Just get an old hooker to stand near the opposition's goal - that'll get him moving!

A Thomas Muller hat-trick gave Germany a comprehensive 4-0 win over 10-man Portugal in Salvador.

Der typische German efficiency strikes again!  ::)

The BBC receives 445 complaints from viewers about Phil Neville's BBC One commentary on England's World Cup match against Italy.

Ah! So THAT was what was sending me to sleep!

It has!  If Argentina score two goals and Bosnia-Hercegovina score one, then the score must be... two minus one is one, right? :-\\ :D

I'm glad one of us is awake - that's what you get for being brain-numbed by the Iran/Nigeria match!

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/17/14 at 5:01 am

Monday 16th June 2014 Results

FIFA World Cup - Group F
Iran 0-0 Nigeria

FIFA World Cup - Group G
Germany 4-0 Portugal
Ghana 1-2 USA

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/17/14 at 6:11 am

World Cup Fixtures: Tuesday 17th June 2014

FIFA World Cup - Group A
Brazil V Mexico

FIFA World Cup - Group H
Belgium V Algeria
Russia V South Korea

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/17/14 at 10:11 am

World Cup Fixtures: Tuesday 17th June 2014

FIFA World Cup - Group H
Belgium V Algeria
LINE-UP
Belgium starting XI: Courtois, Alderweireld, Kompany (c), Vertonghen, Witsel, De Bruyne, Lukaku, Hazard, Van Buyten, Dembele, Chadli.

Algeria starting XI: Mbolhi, Bougherra (c), Ghoulam, Halliche, Feghouli, Medjani, Bentaleb, Soudani, Taider, Mahrez, Mostefa.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/17/14 at 10:12 am

Belgium v Algeria (17:00 BST)

Our focus here, of course, is today's opener in Belo Horizonte. The 2.5m-populated city, whose name translates as Beautiful Horizon, has over 12,000 botecos, or bars, which is reportedly more per person than any other city in Brazil. So win, lose or draw, the Belgian and Algerian fans in town are guaranteed to have a decent post-match knees up. Plenty of fans are already soaking up the sun inside the recently-renovated 57,000-capacity Estadio Mineirao, many covered in face paint and wearing comedy sunglasses. One guy, who I'm presuming is Algerian, is even dressed up as the Incredible Hulk. Hopefully he won't be turning angry once the action gets under way...

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/17/14 at 10:13 am

Team news

Belgium's Romelu Lukaku is fit to play after overcoming an ankle injury picked in their last pre-World Cup friendly. Kevin De Bruyne and Divock Origi also have ankle problems, while several other players are nursing minor knocks following feisty training sessions. Algeria's main concern is over midfielder Hassan Yedba, another player with an ankle injury. Otherwise, coach Vahid Halilhodzic has a fully-fit squad, led by captain and ex-Rangers defender Madjid Bougherra.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/17/14 at 10:33 am

Belgium v Algeria (17:00 BST)

Our focus here, of course, is today's opener in Belo Horizonte. The 2.5m-populated city, whose name translates as Beautiful Horizon, has over 12,000 botecos, or bars, which is reportedly more per person than any other city in Brazil. So win, lose or draw, the Belgian and Algerian fans in town are guaranteed to have a decent post-match knees up. Plenty of fans are already soaking up the sun inside the recently-renovated 57,000-capacity Estadio Mineirao, many covered in face paint and wearing comedy sunglasses. One guy, who I'm presuming is Algerian, is even dressed up as the Incredible Hulk. Hopefully he won't be turning angry once the action gets under way...
http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/live-experience/cps/512/media/images/75591000/jpg/_75591530_022737305-1.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/17/14 at 11:27 am

GOAL
Belgium 0-1 Algeria - Sofiane Feghouli

PENALTY TO ALGERIA
This was not in the script. Belgium defender Jan Vertonghen hauls down Sofiane Feghouli to hand Algeria a golden chance...

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/17/14 at 11:51 am

HALF-TIME

Belgium 0-1 Algeria

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/17/14 at 12:33 pm

GOAL

Belgium 1-1 Algeria - Marouane Fellaini

What an impact! Belgium are level as big substitute Marouane Fellaini rises above the Algeria defence to knock in Kevin De Bruyne's pinpoint cross from the left. That is the Fellaini we remember from Everton, not the poor man's equivalent we saw at Manchester United last season.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/17/14 at 12:38 pm

GOAL

Belgium 2-1 Algeria - Dries Martens

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/17/14 at 12:55 pm

FULL-TIME

Belgium 2-1 Algeria

And it is all over! It wasn't pretty but Belgium got the job done in the end. Red Devils boss Marc Wilmots makes a winning start thanks to two inspired substitutions - replacements Marouane Fellaini and Dries Martens doing the damage.

Written By: Henk on 06/17/14 at 1:36 pm

FULL-TIME

Belgium 2-1 Algeria

And it is all over! It wasn't pretty but Belgium got the job done in the end. Red Devils boss Marc Wilmots makes a winning start thanks to two inspired substitutions - replacements Marouane Fellaini and Dries Martens doing the damage.

Quite.

Let's hope this was Belgium's worst game, and Algeria's best (for the sake of the tournament).

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/17/14 at 2:55 pm

Portugal defender Fabio Coentrao ruled out of the rest of the Fifa World Cup after being injured against Germany

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/17/14 at 2:56 pm

HALF-TIME
Brazil 0-0 Mexico

Frustration all round. Good showing from Mexico, but Brazil not really up to speed.

Written By: Paul on 06/18/14 at 1:05 pm

Just finished...

Australia 2 - 3 Netherlands

And a cracking game too (from what I saw of it!) - Holland on the back foot for a while, but in the end, proved too much for the plucky Aussies - who, despite two fine performances, surely don't look like progressing much further... :-\\

And now, can Chile do the unthinkable? Or will there be a different Spain walking out onto the pitch in Rio? Game on!

The late game is Cameroon v Croatia which I don't think I'll bother with...

Written By: Henk on 06/18/14 at 1:22 pm

Just finished...

Australia 2 - 3 Netherlands

And a cracking game too (from what I saw of it!) - Holland on the back foot for a while, but in the end, proved too much for the plucky Aussies - who, despite two fine performances, surely don't look like progressing much further... :-\\

Another one of those games... We weren't much good in the first half, but took the lead nontheless - only to give it away the very same minute!  ::)
A dubious penalty (once again) and our hopes were fading. But thankfully Robin van Persie equalized soon after, and then Memphis Depay sealed Australia's fate (I think).
Now only if Spain wins tonight, and the Aussies beat Spain in their final match, the Soccaroos still have a chance of progressing. It doesn't seem likely on paper, but then again: who'd have thought Costa Rica would beat Uruguay?

And now, can Chile do the unthinkable? Or will there be a different Spain walking out onto the pitch in Rio? Game on!

I'm expecting a very aggressive and offensive Spain. They can't afford another loss.
If Chile win, it's game over for Australia and Spain (and Del Bosque's reign, I should think).
In case of a draw... it's game over for Australia.

The late game is Cameroon v Croatia which I don't think I'll bother with...

Same here.

Written By: Henk on 06/18/14 at 2:50 pm

I'm expecting a very aggressive and offensive Spain. They can't afford another loss.
If Chile win, it's game over for Australia and Spain (and Del Bosque's reign, I should think).
In case of a draw... it's game over for Australia.

Half time score:

Spain 0 - 2 Chile

Well, so much for an aggressive and offensive Spain - it's Chile that controls the game!

Written By: Paul on 06/18/14 at 3:36 pm

Spain 0 - 2 Chile

Well, so much for an aggressive and offensive Spain - it's Chile that controls the game!

Still that way with 20 to go - the first upset of the tournament?

And it is! Scoreline unchanged - Spain and Australia go out!
Just needs Netherlands and Chile to decide the final positions for the next stage - well done, Henk!

who'd have thought Costa Rica would beat Uruguay?

Groan! Don't mention those two!  :P

Written By: Henk on 06/18/14 at 4:18 pm

Still that way with 20 to go - the first upset of the tournament?

And it is! Scoreline unchanged - Spain and Australia go out!
Just needs Netherlands and Chile to decide the final positions for the next stage - well done, Henk!

Thanks, but I had no hand in the matter. ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/14 at 3:59 am

Former Arsenal striker has flown home from Brazil after his wife and children were burgled at knifepoint. The 50-year-old, who has been working as a pundit for ITV at the World Cup, tweeted last night: ‘You won’t get away with it.’ Four hooded men armed with knives made their way into his north-west London home last night and held his wife and children hostage before making off with personal possessions.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/14 at 5:55 am

England captain Steven Gerrard warns team-mates they face a "terrible, long summer" if they go out of the Fifa World Cup early.

Are we ready?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/14 at 6:43 am

Today's games:

Group C
Colombia v Ivory Coast (17:00 BST)
Japan v Greece (23:00)

Group D
Uruguay v England (20:00)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/14 at 6:49 am

https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t1.0-9/10299052_657022931051410_4221886853976607791_n.png

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/14 at 11:14 am

Group C
Colombia v Ivory Coast (17:00 BST)

Game played in Brasilia

LINE-UPS

Colombia: Ospina, Armero, Yepes, Zapata, Zuniga, Sanchez Moreno, Aguilar, Ibarbo, Rodriguez, Cuadrado, Gutierrez. Subs: Vargas, Arias, Carbonero, Guarin, Mejia, Balanta, Ramos, Quintero, Martinez, Valdes, Mondragon.

Ivory Coast: Barry, Boka, Bamba, Zokora, Aurier, Die, Tiote, Gervinho, Yaya Toure, Gradel, Bony. Subs: Gbohouo, Viera, Kolo Toure, Bolly, Akpa Akpro, Kalou, Drogba, Konan, Diomande, Djakpa, Sio, Sayouba.

Referee: Howard Webb (England)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/14 at 11:15 am

Howard Webb's first meaningful decision in this game is to stop play... because a giant inflatable ball has been thrown on to the pitch by fans.

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/live-experience/cps/512/media/images/75653000/jpg/_75653798_a5b167d0-0baa-4202-8046-746ebcc33fa5.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/14 at 11:54 am

HALF-TIME

Colombia 0-0 Ivory Coast

The half ends with Ivory Coast reflecting on what might have been. Arthur Boka fires the ball across the Colombian penalty area to the feet of Wilfried Bony but the unmarked striker fails to make a connection. Goalless at the interval.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/14 at 12:30 pm

GOAL

Colombia 1-0 Ivory Coast - James Rodriguez

James Rodriguez is a very skilful footballer so when he scores you don't expect it to be a bullet header. But that's exactly what it is as he powers Juan Cuadrado's corner past Boubacar Barry.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/14 at 12:41 pm

Now

Colombia 2-1 Ivory Coast

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/14 at 1:10 pm

FULL-TIME

Colombia 2-1 Ivory Coast

Jubilation for the yellow shirted players. It's two wins out of two for Colombia and they are within touching distance of the Round of 16. Another terrific match.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/14 at 1:42 pm

England are unchanged tonight then, but with Wayne Rooney switching to that central role.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/14 at 1:58 pm

I like the Uruguay National Anthem, very orchestral!

Written By: Henk on 06/19/14 at 2:47 pm

Half time score:

Uruguay 1 - 0 England

Written By: Henk on 06/19/14 at 3:01 pm

Half time score:

Uruguay 1 - 0 England

Not looking good for England. :(

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/14 at 3:02 pm

It has all gone quiet over here.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/14 at 3:03 pm

Now what is the first line of that famous John Denver song?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/14 at 3:35 pm

Latest score:

Uruguay 1 - 1 England

Scorer: Wayne Rooney

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/14 at 3:43 pm

GOAL

Uruguay 2-1 England

His fitness is absolutely fine!

Luis Suarez hammers in a belter of a finish but the build-up is shocking. It's just a nod on from a goal kick and Suarez is clean through, he's got a tight angle but leathers the ball into the roof of the net, right through Joe Hart.

Written By: Paul on 06/19/14 at 3:56 pm

Pretty much as expected, methinks...little fight or firepower there at all. So, g'night everybody!

Written By: Henk on 06/19/14 at 4:52 pm

Well, it's not all over yet. There's still a chance for England to proceed.

Written By: Paul on 06/19/14 at 5:13 pm

Well, it's not all over yet. There's still a chance for England to proceed.

Pwahahahahahh! If that performance was anything to go by, I'd rather they didn't!  ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/20/14 at 4:33 am

Roy Hodgson insists he will not quit his job as England manager despite his side being on the brink of World Cup elimination.

Written By: Paul on 06/20/14 at 8:53 am

Roy Hodgson insists he will not quit his job as England manager despite his side being on the brink of World Cup elimination.

Can't really wholly blame Roy for the poor performance (even though he doesn't really strike me as a great motivator) - the English FA's got to take a good, long, hard look at the state of the game (which they keep saying they will, usually after every elimination - but I'll believe it when I see it)...

Written By: Henk on 06/21/14 at 2:12 am

Some updates

Japan 0 - 0 Greece

Glad to have missed that one!

Italy 0 - 1 Costa Rica

Well, there's a surprise if ever there was one! Of all countries in this group it's Costa Rica that are certain to proceed to the next stage.
If England were still hoping for that elusive miracle: it's all over now.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/image/5540562-16x9-700x394.jpg

Switzerland 2 - 5 France

Stellar performance from Les Bleus there, outclassing the Swiss on many occasion.

Honduras 1 - 2 Ecuador

Both teams could do with the points, but in the end it's Ecuador that keeps their hopes alive.

Written By: Paul on 06/21/14 at 5:33 am

Italy 0 - 1 Costa Rica

Well, there's a surprise if ever there was one! Of all countries in this group it's Costa Rica that are certain to proceed to the next stage.
If England were still hoping for that elusive miracle: it's all over now.

Hardly surprising - even if the result DID go our way, it would still been an uphill struggle...

Well, that's two European teams out, but I'd still like to see one of them lift the trophy over there - so Germany (spit!), Holland and (to a lesser extent) France...it's over to you!  ;)

Written By: Henk on 06/21/14 at 8:46 am

Hardly surprising - even if the result DID go our way, it would still been an uphill struggle...

Well, that's two European teams out, but I'd still like to see one of them lift the trophy over there - so Germany (spit!), Holland and (to a lesser extent) France...it's over to you!  ;)

What about Italy? They're not out (yet). All they need is a point from their next game (against Uruguay).

You're right. Never in a million years! ;D

Written By: Henk on 06/21/14 at 1:32 pm

Group F result:

Argentina 1 - 0 Iran

A very late goal by Lionel Messi (who else?) secures Argentina a place in the next round - although quite undeservedly. Better chances in the second half were for Iran.

Written By: Paul on 06/21/14 at 4:51 pm

Germany 2 - 2 Ghana

A bit of a scare (almost!) for Germany too, as Ghana quickly came from behind to lead 2-1 with half-hour to go, only for that man Klose to equalise for Germany and also equal the tournament's scoring record with a certain Portuguese player (who simply must beat the USA tomorrow to keep their hopes alive)...I was almost going to give up on this game, the first half was pretty dire, but glad I stuck with it as the second half was a cracker - kudos to Ghana, as Group G is still open!

Over in F, there's the delights of Bosnia-Hercegovina v Nigeria, which, if I had a bout of insomnia, I'd stay up for...

Written By: Henk on 06/21/14 at 5:09 pm

Germany 2 - 2 Ghana

A bit of a scare (almost!) for Germany too, as Ghana quickly came from behind to lead 2-1 with half-hour to go, only for that man Klose to equalise for Germany and also equal the tournament's scoring record with a certain Portuguese player (who simply must beat the USA tomorrow to keep their hopes alive)...

I think you're confusing Christiano Ronaldo with Ronaldo Luis Nazário de Lima there. ;)

I was almost going to give up on this game, the first half was pretty dire, but glad I stuck with it as the second half was a cracker - kudos to Ghana, as Group G is still open!

Same here. In the end, I found myself rooting for Ghana, even though I had predicted a 3 to 1 victory for Germany!

Over in F, there's the delights of Bosnia-Hercegovina v Nigeria, which, if I had a bout of insomnia, I'd stay up for...

For all of those midnight games, the better option so far seems to be sleeping.

Written By: Paul on 06/21/14 at 5:41 pm

I think you're confusing Christiano Ronaldo with Ronaldo Luis Nazário de Lima there. ;)

We have a winner! Honestly, these Ronaldo guys crop up everywhere! I thought that link into Portugal was too smooth to be true... :P

Written By: Henk on 06/22/14 at 1:24 am

Result from that game:

Bosnia-Hercegovina 0 - 1 Nigeria

Written By: karen on 06/22/14 at 9:31 am

Result from that game:

Bosnia-Hercegovina 0 - 1 Nigeria

Maybe drawing Nigeria in the sweepstake wasn't a waste of money!

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/23/14 at 2:33 am

Group H
Korea Republic 2 v 4 Algeria

Group G
USA 2 v 2 Portugal

Surprise result for the USA, who are becoming a stronger side and in years time may eventually win the World Cup.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/23/14 at 5:28 am

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/About/General/2014/6/20/1403276826039/Mark-McConville-waves-Sco-011.jpg

A mystery Scot who caused a social media storm after celebrating Uruguay's winning goal against England has been named as Mark McConville from Glasgow.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/23/14 at 6:56 am

Recent remarks by Fifa's chairman to football in space have raised some eyebrows. However Sepp Blatter did raise a serious question - how will football, and sport in general, develop in an ever-changing, tech-focused world? And what will the World Cup be like in 2050?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t1.0-9/10463015_10153437796252588_7368684853974950904_n.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/23/14 at 10:43 am

Today's matches:

Group A at 21:00 (BST)
Cameroon v Brazil
Croatia v B Mexico

Group B at 17:00 (BST)
Australia v Spain
Netherlands v Chile

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/23/14 at 10:48 am

Team News:

Netherlands v Chile

Netherlands striker Robin van Persie serves a one-match ban after picking up two bookings. They could also be without defender Bruno Martins Indi, who suffered concussion against Australia. Chile could leave midfield duo Arturo Vidal and Charles Aranguiz on the bench. Coach Jorge Sampaoli may decide to protect them as they are both are carrying injuries and each have a yellow card to their name.

Australia v Spain

Spain coach Vicente Del Bosque is expected to make a host of changes now his side are out of the competition. Gerard Pique is a doubt with an adductor muscle problem, while David de Gea has a buttock muscle injury. Australia midfielder Tim Cahill misses this game as he is suspended after he picked up two bookings.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/23/14 at 12:03 pm

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t1.0-9/10487209_927800837236031_8708333776040850181_n.png

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/23/14 at 12:21 pm

HALF-TIME

Australia 0-1 Spain
Netherlands 0-0 Chile

As the group table stands at half time.

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/live-experience/cps/512/media/images/75748000/jpg/_75748974_af91ada4-121d-4d33-a7d6-e62a446d8e06.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/23/14 at 1:14 pm

FULL-TIME
Australia 0-3 Spain

All over. Spain and Australia head home.

Netherlands beat Chile 2-0 to the top spot of Group B at the 2014 Fifa World Cup

Written By: Henk on 06/23/14 at 2:09 pm

Netherlands beat Chile 2-0 to the top spot of Group B at the 2014 Fifa World Cup

A so-so game, with nothing much at stake for us. We didn't give much away, and didn't create much chances either. Chile on the other hand were pretty powerless.
Once again, it was the substitutes that made the difference: goals by Leroy Fer and Memphis Depay.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/23/14 at 2:21 pm

The final table for Group B

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/live-experience/cps/512/media/images/75756000/jpg/_75756668_1d91d827-a7bc-4d01-8354-2330aea4f888.jpg

Written By: Henk on 06/23/14 at 2:33 pm

The final table for Group B

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/live-experience/cps/512/media/images/75756000/jpg/_75756668_1d91d827-a7bc-4d01-8354-2330aea4f888.jpg

I don't think that's quite right. Our goal difference should read 7 (5 - 1 win against Spain, 3 - 2 win against Australia and 2 - 0 win against Chile, makes 10 - 3).

Written By: Henk on 06/23/14 at 2:38 pm

Today's matches:

Group A at 21:00 (BST)
Cameroon v Brazil
Croatia v Mexico

By my calculations, there's still the odd chance of Brazil getting kicked out of the tournament. This requires a win for Cameroon, and a draw for Croatia and Mexico (in which case Croatia and Mexico proceed).

Granted, not very likely, but stranger things have happened in the past.

Written By: nally on 06/23/14 at 2:40 pm

Group G
USA 2 v 2 Portugal

Surprise result for the USA, who are becoming a stronger side and in years time may eventually win the World Cup.

Yeah, they were leading that game until the final minute of play, when Portugal tied it up.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/23/14 at 2:48 pm

I don't think that's quite right. Our goal difference should read 7 (5 - 1 win against Spain, 3 - 2 win against Australia and 2 - 0 win against Chile, makes 10 - 3).
Perhaps the BBC have it wrong

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/23/14 at 3:53 pm

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t1.0-9/p552x414/10482285_660062790747424_2284621240604135540_n.png

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/24/14 at 4:40 am

Monday 23rd June 2014 Results

FIFA World Cup - Group A

Cameroon 1-4 Brazil
Croatia 1-3 Mexico

FIFA World Cup - Group B
Australia 0-3 Spain
Netherlands 2-0 Chile

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/24/14 at 5:14 am

Tuesday 24th June 2014 Fixtures

FIFA World Cup - Group C

Greece v Ivory Coast
Japan v Colombia

FIFA World Cup - Group D
Costa Rica v England
Italy v Uruguay

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/24/14 at 12:56 pm

England finished with a goal less draw with Costa Rica

Italy lost to Uruguay by a single goal.

Costa Rica and Uruguay qualify to the next round, Italy are heading home, along with England.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/24/14 at 1:58 pm

Uruguay's Luis Suarez was involved in another World Cup after he appeared to bite Italy's Giorgio Chiellini.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/24/14 at 2:07 pm

Italy boss Cesare Prandelli says he intends to resign after the country's elimination from the 2014 Fifa World Cup

Written By: Henk on 06/24/14 at 2:11 pm

Italy boss Cesare Prandelli says he intends to resign after the country's elimination from the 2014 Fifa World Cup

Bovvered. ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/24/14 at 2:30 pm

Permutations

Colombia are through to the last 16 for the first time in 24 years, where they will face either Costa Rica, Italy or Uruguay. They will win the group with a victory or draw from their meeting with Japan.

Ivory Coast will join the South Americans in the next stage if they beat Greece, although a draw would allow Japan to claim second place if they beat Colombia.

Japan must win their match against Colombia to give them any hope of qualifying, while Greece must get three points and hope Japan only earn a point or worse.

If Greece and Japan win, they will finish level on four points and the final position will be decided on goal difference, which currently favours Japan.

Written By: Henk on 06/24/14 at 2:34 pm

Permutations

Colombia are through to the last 16 for the first time in 24 years, where they will face either Costa Rica, Italy or Uruguay. They will win the group with a victory or draw from their meeting with Japan.

Ivory Coast will join the South Americans in the next stage if they beat Greece, although a draw would allow Japan to claim second place if they beat Colombia.

Japan must win their match against Colombia to give them any hope of qualifying, while Greece must get three points and hope Japan only earn a point or worse.

If Greece and Japan win, they will finish level on four points and the final position will be decided on goal difference, which currently favours Japan.

Fixt. ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/24/14 at 3:23 pm

GOAL
Japan 0-1 Colombia - Juan Cuadrado (pen)

Japan need a win to have a chance of progressing, but they face an almighty task now as Juan Cuadrado, one of Colombia's many impressive players in this tournament so far, confidently fires the penalty low to the keeper's right. At the moment, top spot is Colombia's.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/24/14 at 3:46 pm

GOAL
Greece 1-0 Ivory Coast - Andreas Samaris

Shocking stuff from Ivory Coast as they gift Greece an opener. Cheick Tiote gives the ball away inside his own half and substitute Andreas Samaris breaks towards goal. He plays a one-two with Georgios Samaras and rifles home from the edge of the area.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/24/14 at 3:51 pm

HALF TIME

Japan 1-1 Colombia
Greece 1-0 Ivory Coast

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/24/14 at 3:54 pm

Whats the difference between England and a tea bag?

A tea bag stays in a cup longer.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/24/14 at 4:19 pm

GOAL
Japan 1-2 Colombia - Jackson Martinez

Jose Pekerman, I doff my hat to you sir. That half-time change by the Colombia boss pays dividends as James Rodriguez clips a pass through the Japan backline to give Jackson Martinez a clear sight of goal. He gobbles up the chance with a low-angled shot into the corner. A big ask now for Japan to avoid going home early.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/25/14 at 4:58 am

https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t31.0-8/s960x960/10380171_758292890881041_8330323163375380766_o.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/25/14 at 6:49 am

Tuesday 24th June 2014 Results

FIFA World Cup - Group C

Greece 2 v 1 Ivory Coast
Japan 1 v 4 Colombia

FIFA World Cup - Group D
Costa Rica 0 v 0 England
Italy 0 v 1 Uruguay

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/25/14 at 6:52 am

Wednesday 25th June 2014 Fixtures

FIFA World Cup - Group E

Ecuador v France
Honduras v Switzerland

FIFA World Cup - Group F
Bosnia-Hercegovina v Iran
Nigeria v Argentina

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/25/14 at 7:22 am

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/t1.0-9/10409381_491741814304749_380037366104007246_n.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/25/14 at 10:06 am

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/t1.0-9/10350619_10152497096854749_5837505903474886864_n.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/25/14 at 11:06 am

GOAL
Nigeria 0-1 Argentina - Lionel Messi

What a start! Nigeria were the only side not to concede a goal in the tournament but they are breached inside three minutes!
A wonderful pass from Fernando Gago picks out Angel Di Maria, his shot hits the post and Lionel Messi reacts well to slam into the roof of the net.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/25/14 at 11:07 am

GOAL
Nigeria 1-1 Argentina - Ahmed Musa

It's the game of the tournament! Goodness me what a start!
Nigeria level inside 60 seconds, winger Ahmed Musa cutting inside on to his right foot and bending a beauty into the far corner.
Two wonderful strikes...

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/25/14 at 11:08 am

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/live-experience/cps/512/media/images/75832000/jpg/_75832448_89c697a0-0389-4ee0-8fa1-717c4d989c4c.jpg

BBC Match of the Day presenter Mark Chapman on Twitter

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/25/14 at 11:28 am

GOAL
Bosnia-Hercegovina 1-0 Iran -Edin Dzeko

The problem with playing for a 0-0 is when you concede early on, it's all over.
Bosnia take the lead with a cracking goal from Manchester City man Edin Dzeko. He drifts away from a defender before clipping a left-footed shot in off the base of the post from 25 yards. He looks livid - cheer up Edin!

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/25/14 at 11:48 am

GOAL
Nigeria 2-1 Argentina - Lionel Messi

Dangerous - very dangerous! Lionel Messi has his second of the game, his fourth of the World Cup with a clipped free-kick into the corner.
Goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama gives up on it, just watches it hit the net. I'm not sure he would have got there but have a go!

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/25/14 at 11:49 am

HALF TIME

Bosnia-Hercegovina 1-0 Iran
Nigeria 2-1 Argentina

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/25/14 at 12:09 pm

GOAL
Nigeria 2-2 Argentina - Ahmed Musa

Anythign Messi can do, Musa can match!
Ahmed Musa has his second of the game, and it's another excellent one, He plays a one-two with Emmanuel Emenike, runs into the penalty area and clips it into the corner. Easily done but brilliantly taken.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/25/14 at 12:11 pm

GOAL
Nigeria 2-3 Argentina - Marcos Rojo

And the corner is costly as Argentina re-take the lead! It's messy defending as Ezequiel Garay wins the header which hits his team-mate Marcos Rojo on the knee and skips into the net.
Another thriller...

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/25/14 at 12:20 pm

GOAL
Bosnia-Hercegovina 2-0 Iran - Miralem Pjanic

He's a class act is Miralem Pjanic, and he now has a World Cup goal to go on his CV. Edin Dzeko finds him on the overlap, one touch kills it dead and the second steers it into the corner.
Game, set and the match. That should also seal Nigeria's qualification.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/25/14 at 12:54 pm

FULL-TIME

Nigeria 2-3 Argentina
Bosnia-Hercegovina 3-1 Iran

Written By: nally on 06/26/14 at 1:33 pm

Today's results:

USA 0-1 Germany

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/26/14 at 1:37 pm

Other result:
Portugal 2-1 Ghana

Written By: Henk on 06/26/14 at 1:47 pm

Other result:
Portugal 2-1 Ghana

Which means Christiano Ronaldo is out. :D  8)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/26/14 at 1:49 pm

Which means Christiano Ronaldo is out. :D  8)
...and USA are in the next round, going further than England.

Written By: Paul on 06/26/14 at 1:58 pm

...and USA are in the next round, going further than England.

Oh dear! That won't please Ms. Coulter...http://www.anncoulter.com/columns/2014-06-25.html

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/26/14 at 2:03 pm

Oh dear! That won't please Ms. Coulter...http://www.anncoulter.com/columns/2014-06-25.html
...disguised under the name of soccer?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/26/14 at 2:24 pm

Uruguay striker Luis Suarez has been suspended from all football-related activity for four months for biting Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini. In addition, the Liverpool player, 27, has been banned for nine international matches, ruling him out of the rest of the 2014 Fifa World Cup. He will also miss the first nine games of the Premier League season.

Written By: Paul on 06/26/14 at 2:25 pm

...disguised under the name of soccer?

They're funny like that - considering their 'football' has chiefly nothing to do with the foot!

Written By: Paul on 06/26/14 at 2:27 pm

Uruguay striker Luis Suarez has been suspended from all football-related activity for four months for biting Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini. In addition, the Liverpool player, 27, has been banned for nine international matches, ruling him out of the rest of the 2014 Fifa World Cup. He will also miss the first nine games of the Premier League season.

Henceforth known as Chewy Luis...

Strange how our media were apportioned 'blame' by the Uruguayan FA over this incident, yet we weren't even playing them!  ??? ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/26/14 at 2:34 pm

Other matches:

Algeria v Russia
South Korea v Belgium

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/26/14 at 3:11 pm

GOAL
Algeria 0-1 Russia - Kokorin

Mamma mia, Fabio!
First blood to Russia as Aleksandr Kokorin nods home Dmitri Kombarov's cross from 12 yards. A very well executed header.
Russia are going through as it stands.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/26/14 at 3:47 pm

RED CARD
South Korea 0-0 Belgium - Steven Defour

His team is sailing through to the knockout stages but the Porto midfielder produces an ugly right foot challenge on Kim Shin-wook. There was absolutely no need for that. Belgium down to 10 men.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/26/14 at 3:49 pm

HALF-TIME

South Korea 0-0 Belgium
Algeria 0-1 Russia

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/26/14 at 4:23 pm

GOAL
Algeria 1-1 Russia - Islam Slimani

Russia keeper Igor Akinfeev has had another shocker. A free-kick is swung into the penalty area and he fails to make contact which allows Islam Slimani to head into an empty net. A green laser from the crowd was pointed on Akinfeev at the time but he should have done better than that. Remember his error in the game against South Korea

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/26/14 at 4:40 pm

GOAL
South Korea 0-1 Belgium - Jan Vertonghen

And it's bye, bye South Korea. Divock Origi, who has impressed since coming on, powers a low drive from the edge of the area but South Korea's keeper Kim Seung-gyu spills the ball and Tottenham's Jan Vertonghen is there to sweep the ball into the net. The 10-men have the lead.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/26/14 at 4:56 pm

FULL-TIME
South Korea 0-1 Belgium

Algeria 1-1 Russia
Algeria are through to the last-16 of the World Cup for the first time. Fabio Capello and Russia are out of the World Cup

Written By: Paul on 06/26/14 at 5:10 pm

Fabio Capello and.........are out of the World Cup

Where have I heard that before?

Oh yes! Four years ago!  ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/27/14 at 2:55 am

FULL-TIME

Algeria 1-1 Russia
Algeria are through to the last-16 of the World Cup for the first time.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t1.0-9/10487212_663056073781429_3330728936066498712_n.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/27/14 at 4:44 am

Online firm 888poker terminates its sponsorship deal with banned Uruguay and Liverpool striker Luis Suarez

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/27/14 at 4:46 am

No matches today.

World Cup Fixtures

FIFA WORLD CUP - ROUND OF 16 (now the knockout stages begin) (Times at BST)
Saturday 28th June 2014
Brazil v Chile 17:00
Colombia v Uruguay 21:00

Sunday 29th June 2014
Netherlands v Mexico 17:00
Costa Rica v Greece 21:00

Monday 30th June 2014
France v Nigeria 17:00
Germany v Algeria 21:00

Tuesday 1st July 2014
Argentina v Switzerland 17:00
Belgium v USA 21:00

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/27/14 at 12:16 pm

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/t1.0-9/10464060_10153448444632588_165156265041031626_n.jpg

Written By: Henk on 06/27/14 at 12:57 pm

No matches today.

World Cup Fixtures

FIFA WORLD CUP - ROUND OF 16 (now the knockout stages begin) (Times at BST)
Saturday 28th June 2014
Brazil v Chile 17:00
Colombia v Uruguay 21:00

One of these four teams will make it to the semi finals.
Brazil is the obvious choice, but could Chile produce another shocker?
Uruguay without Suarez... well, we've all seen what that leads to in their first match.
Whatever the outcome, the number of South American teams in competition will be reduced to one in the end.

Sunday 29th June 2014
Netherlands v Mexico 17:00
Costa Rica v Greece 21:00

Odds are in favor of The Netherlands, but where have we heard that before? ::) 

Monday 30th June 2014
France v Nigeria 17:00
Germany v Algeria 21:00

This should feel like something of a grudge match for Algeria. Remember WC 1982? ::)
Anyway - looks like Germany and France once again battling it out.

Tuesday 1st July 2014
Argentina v Switzerland 17:00
Belgium v USA 21:00

Of these four, Argentina is most likely to sail through to the semis.

Written By: Henk on 06/28/14 at 2:03 pm

One of these four teams will make it to the semi finals.
Brazil is the obvious choice, but could Chile produce another shocker?

Chile came close, took the game into extra time, and even penalties but alas...that's where it went wrong.

Brazil 1 - 1 Chile (AET)

Brazil win on penalties (3 - 1)

Written By: Henk on 06/29/14 at 1:13 pm

Yesterday's second game:

Columbia 2 - 0 Uruguay

As was to be expected.

Today's first game:

The Netherlands 2 - 1 Mexico

In the scorching heat of Fortaleza the Dutch kept their heads cool. Mexico took the lead in the 51st minute, but a belter of a goal by Wesley Sneijder took the game level in the 88th minute. And then, in extra time, Arjen Robben took another dive in the penalty area (his third of the match) - but got his reward this time: a penalty kick. It was Klaas-Jan Huntelaar who kicked the Mexicans out of the tournament.
Mexico again haven't made it past the last 16 (haven't done so since 1994), but The Netherlands proceed and will now be facing either Costa Rica or Greece for a place in the semi final.

Written By: Paul on 06/29/14 at 4:30 pm

The Netherlands 2 - 1 Mexico

In the scorching heat of Fortaleza the Dutch kept their heads cool. Mexico took the lead in the 51st minute, but a belter of a goal by Wesley Sneijder took the game level in the 88th minute. And then, in extra time, Arjen Robben took another dive in the penalty area (his third of the match) - but got his reward this time: a penalty kick. It was Klaas-Jan Huntelaar who kicked the Mexicans out of the tournament.
Mexico again haven't made it past the last 16 (haven't done so since 1994), but The Netherlands proceed and will now be facing either Costa Rica or Greece for a place in the semi final.

Which, at the moment will be Costa Rica...much unfancied before the start of the tournament, but seem to be confounding everyone. However, I can't see them getting past the efficiency of the Orange steamroller...as for Greece, welll... ::)

Written By: Henk on 06/30/14 at 3:24 pm

Which, at the moment will be Costa Rica...much unfancied before the start of the tournament, but seem to be confounding everyone. However, I can't see them getting past the efficiency of the Orange steamroller...as for Greece, welll... ::)

And it's gonna be Costa Rica indeed, although in the end it took them 120 minutes (plus!) of play and penalties to get there.

Costa Rica 1 - 1 Greece (AET)
Costa Rica win on penalties (5 - 4)

Written By: Henk on 06/30/14 at 3:33 pm

France 2 - 0 Nigeria

I've only seen bits and pieces of the game, but from what I read Nigeria deserved more than they got.

Written By: Paul on 07/01/14 at 4:37 am

I've only seen bits and pieces of the game, but from what I read Nigeria deserved more than they got.

As did Algeria, who took Germany into extra time when all the goals came...

Germany 2 - 1 Algeria (AET)

...which sets up a fine clash (on paper anyway) between the two European sides...

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/02/14 at 4:42 am

Final result for the Round of 16:

Belgium 2 v 1 USA (AET)

We feel that Belgium could do very well this year, but really wanted the USA to progress further.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/02/14 at 4:45 am

Fixtures for the Quarter Finals:

Friday 4th July
Brazil v Colombia
France v Germany

Saturday 5th July
The Netherlands v Costa Rica
Argentina v Belgium

Written By: Paul on 07/02/14 at 5:12 am

Although the results of the knockout stage went pretty much as expected, it wasn't that comfortable for many of the victors...

Barring Belgium (totally unimpressed with them) and Costa Rica (whose luck I think will have run out) - the cup is anyones'...

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/02/14 at 5:15 am

BTW, probably the best Suarez meme to appear after the biting incident.

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/suarez-zombie-arm.jpg

Written By: nally on 07/02/14 at 10:00 am

Final result for the Round of 16:

Belgium 2 v 1 USA (AET)

We feel that Belgium could do very well this year, but really wanted the USA to progress further.

Yeah, I just heard about this. Bummer for team USA, but they played well to get this far.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/02/14 at 12:52 pm

The United States' "unprecedented" and "staggering" appetite for football could see them bid to host the 2026 World Cup, according to Fifa bosses.

Written By: Henk on 07/02/14 at 1:06 pm

Barring Belgium (totally unimpressed with them) and Costa Rica (whose luck I think will have run out) - the cup is anyones'...

The same could be said about Argentina. In fact, I'm less impressed with Argentina than I am with Belgium. Funny the two sides should meet in the quarter final!

(Prepare to fall asleep for extra time! ::))

Written By: Henk on 07/02/14 at 3:09 pm

Fixtures for the Quarter Finals:

Saturday 5th July
The Netherlands v Costa Rica

The problem with a game like that is you can never get it right.

Either The Netherlands win, and everybody will be like "Oh well... Well done Costa Rica!", or Costa Rica will win - in which case everybody will be like "OMG!! Well done Costa Rica!!"

In other words: we (i.e. the Dutch) will never get the sympathy vote in this.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/03/14 at 7:44 am

Algeria's players will donate their prize money from reaching the last-16 of the World Cup to people in Gaza. An extra-time defeat by Germany sent the African side home, but forward Islam Slimani confirmed the gesture he and his team-mates were making, saying "they need it more than us".

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/03/14 at 11:39 am

Seven Germany players are suffering from mild flu symptoms ahead of their World Cup quarter-final against France

Written By: Paul on 07/04/14 at 3:32 am

The problem with a game like that is you can never get it right.

Either The Netherlands win, and everybody will be like "Oh well... Well done Costa Rica!", or Costa Rica will win - in which case everybody will be like "OMG!! Well done Costa Rica!!"

In other words: we (i.e. the Dutch) will never get the sympathy vote in this.

I wouldn't worry about getting sympathy votes - everyone seems to forget the 'heroic underdog' soon enough - take South Korea in 2002...I fully expect The Netherlands to win this, probably not by a huge margin, but certainly within normal time...

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/04/14 at 3:36 am

Fixtures for today's Quarter Finals:

Friday 4th July
Brazil v Colombia
France v Germany

Brazil should win, but France v Germany match will be interesting remembering 7 German players are down with a viral flu.

Written By: Paul on 07/04/14 at 4:45 am

Fixtures for today's Quarter Finals:

Friday 4th July
Brazil v Colombia
France v Germany

Brazil should win, but France v Germany match will be interesting remembering 7 German players are down with a viral flu.

Brazil should win, but nothing's a given - actually, I'd like to see them get beat and watch the entire country go into meltdown!

And as for Germany...shame...

Not!

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/04/14 at 11:50 am

HALF-TIME

France 0-1 Germany

Goal scored in the 12th minute by Mats Hummels

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/04/14 at 1:02 pm

FULL-TIME

France 0-1 Germany

Written By: Henk on 07/05/14 at 1:39 am

FULL-TIME

France 0-1 Germany

Not quite the match I was expecting to see, with both sides overwhelmingly underperforming. France, especially, didn't seem too bothered about the game or the result. Not until it was too late, anyway.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/05/14 at 1:48 am

FULL-TIME
Brazil 2-1 Colombia

Brazil have done it! They are into the semi-finals!

I did not see the game, but I understand there was a nasty injury to one of the Brazilian players.

Written By: Henk on 07/05/14 at 1:49 am

And then there was that other game...

Brazil 2 - 1 Colombia

I was quite impressed with Brazil in the first half, when they finally showed some skills and managed to score one. The second half was a disgrace, as far as I'm concerned, with Brazil just fouling away and heading nowhere fast, especially after they scored a second. Colombia were never allowed to play their favorite game, until they were awarded a penalty in the 81st minute. Sadly, they only managed to score once in the remainder of the game.

But the real news from that match is the Neymar injury: he appears to have broken a dorsal vertebra which means he's out for the rest of the tournament. This should seriously affect Brazil's game.

Also out (for one match only) is Brazil defender Thiago Silva, who took a second yellow in yesterday's match.

No, I don't think the odds are in favor of Brazil for the semi final.

Written By: Paul on 07/05/14 at 10:58 am

Belgium could do everyone a favour (for once!) by having some spiteful jabs at Messi - but being Belgium (from what I've seen so far), I don't expect much from them...

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/05/14 at 11:12 am

GOAL
Argentina 1-0 Belgium - Gonzalo Higuain

Lovely stuff from Argentina as they take the lead with their first shot on target, but it all stemmed from an error by Vincent Kompany. He gave the ball away midway inside the Belgium half and Lionel Messi pounced, twisting and turning before picking out Angel Di Maria. The forward's ball towards the area deflected into the path of Gonzalo Higuain, who volleyed in on the turn.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/05/14 at 12:57 pm

FULL-TIME - ARGENTINA INTO THE SEMI-FINALS
Argentina 1-0 Belgium

The referee blows his whistle and Estadio Nacional explodes into a cacophony of noise. Argentina are through to the World Cup semi-finals and their players race to hug each other. Belgium players, in contrast, stand alone. Disconsolate.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/05/14 at 1:27 pm

FULL-TIME - ARGENTINA INTO THE SEMI-FINALS
Argentina 1-0 Belgium

The referee blows his whistle and Estadio Nacional explodes into a cacophony of noise. Argentina are through to the World Cup semi-finals and their players race to hug each other. Belgium players, in contrast, stand alone. Disconsolate.
Argentina reach the World Cup semi-finals for the first time since 1990.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/05/14 at 4:59 pm

FULL-TIME
Netherlands 0-0 Costa Rica

It's all over! The Dutch are taken to extra time. Louis van Gaal can't believe it...

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/05/14 at 5:45 pm

Gone to penalties!

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/05/14 at 5:49 pm

Gone to penalties!
Netherlands 4-3 Costa Rica

Netherlands into semi-finals

They've done it! Tim Krul came off the bench to save two penalties! Another masterstroke from Louis van Gaal...

Written By: Henk on 07/06/14 at 12:23 am

Netherlands 4-3 Costa Rica

Netherlands into semi-finals

They've done it! Tim Krul came off the bench to save two penalties! Another masterstroke from Louis van Gaal...

Yes, we're through! :D It wasn't easy, but then again: there are no easy matches in this stage of the tournament.
TBH, I was getting more and more worried as more and more time passed by without a goal. I felt like this could be one of those nights, where one team (i.e. the Netherlands) dominates while the other (Costa Rica) steals the points. (Mind you, we'd only have had ourselves to blame with the chances we got!)
And then, when it came down to penalties I was sure we'd lose. But the genius that is Louis van Gaal brought on Tim Krul to save our day (and our tournament)!

Now on to the semis, where we take on Argentina. I wasn't too impressed with their play yesterday, but they still won (again). Can we go all the way this time? We'll have to wait and see.

Written By: Paul on 07/06/14 at 5:41 pm

I fully expect The Netherlands to win this, probably not by a huge margin, but certainly within normal time...

As my old mate Sir Meat of Loaf always says...two out of three ain't bad!  ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/07/14 at 3:12 am

https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/t31.0-8/10271188_10152471082638762_8738745558143809336_o.jpg

Written By: Paul on 07/08/14 at 3:49 pm

Never thought I'd ever say this but, go Germany!

(No, I still don't quite like it!)

Written By: Paul on 07/08/14 at 4:35 pm

Sobering thought which doesn't make me feel any better, but I'm used to it now...

Germany have scored more goals in three minutes than England did in their entire campaign!

Oh dear - there's number seven! I predict a riot...

Written By: Paul on 07/09/14 at 4:29 am

The new Brazil flag?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/t1.0-9/10469876_10152111901447854_2899088466229847485_n.jpg

Written By: Henk on 07/09/14 at 5:01 pm

Netherlands 0 - 0 Argentina (Full Time)

Extra time just started...

Written By: Paul on 07/09/14 at 5:11 pm

A bit unfair to hold this match up in comparison to the goings-on of yesterday...

...but it has to be said - 'turgid' is the best term for it!

Written By: Henk on 07/09/14 at 5:14 pm

Still waiting for that one moment...

Written By: Henk on 07/09/14 at 5:15 pm

Still waiting for that one moment...

..with 15 minutes left before we go to penalties (again).

Written By: Henk on 07/09/14 at 5:34 pm

And penalties it will be.

I'm afraid this is where it will end for us. It has to end somewhere.

Written By: Henk on 07/09/14 at 5:37 pm

Do I really want to watch this? :-\\

Written By: Henk on 07/09/14 at 5:45 pm

And penalties it will be.

I'm afraid this is where it will end for us. It has to end somewhere.

The end.

Written By: karen on 07/09/14 at 5:47 pm

The end.

Boo

Written By: Paul on 07/09/14 at 6:31 pm

Commiserations, Henk - I was really hoping that was gonna be an all-Euro final... :(

Someone in your camp must have shown the squad the 'How England Take Penalties' film... ::)

Oh well, I've really gotta swallow some pride now in siding with Germany!  :-\\

Written By: Henk on 07/09/14 at 11:06 pm

Commiserations, Henk - I was really hoping that was gonna be an all-Euro final... :(

Thanks, Paul. Hardly slept a wink last night. Not that I didn't see it coming (I could see a pattern evolving from our last few matches), but gutted anyway.
We didn't come to Brazil to play for 3rd/4th place - a game no-one over here is taking seriously, so we'll most likely end up losing that one as well.

Someone in your camp must have shown the squad the 'How England Take Penalties' film... ::)

I don't know who thought it was a good idea for Ron Vlaar to take that first penalty. As soon as I saw him walking up to the penalty spot I knew it would go wrong.

Oh well, I've really gotta swallow some pride now in siding with Germany!  :-\\

You AND me, mate...you and me!

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/10/14 at 1:55 pm

The end.
What went wrong?

Written By: Henk on 07/10/14 at 3:48 pm

What went wrong?

We failed to score in regular time and extra time, and then we failed to score some more during the penalties. ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/10/14 at 3:52 pm

We failed to score in regular time and extra time, and then we failed to score some more during the penalties. ::)
Just like England with the penalties, you team did well to get that far

Written By: Paul on 07/11/14 at 3:45 am

So, as the sun sets on the tournament, here's how every participant rated in no more than three adjectives...

http://i.imgur.com/9zQcVzn.png?1

(Not quite sure how England managed to be 'exciting' - perhaps Roy was doing a quick samba in the dugout when nobody was looking!)

(Click on the image if you've got eyes like mine! Well, onto the Euro qualifiers...)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/11/14 at 3:50 am

So, as the sun sets on the tournament, here's how every participant rated in no more than three adjectives...

http://i.imgur.com/9zQcVzn.png?1

(Not quite sure how England managed to be 'exciting' - perhaps Roy was doing a quick samba in the dugout when nobody was looking!)

(Click on the image if you've got eyes like mine! Well, onto the Euro qualifiers...)
Disappointing for all three words for England?

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/11/14 at 7:14 am

Liverpool agree to sell striker Luis Suarez to Barcelona in a five-year deal thought to be worth about £75m.

Written By: Paul on 07/11/14 at 9:19 am

Disappointing for all three words for England?

I could think of a much more fitting three, but I don't think I'd be allowed to post them here!

Liverpool agree to sell striker Luis Suarez to Barcelona in a five-year deal thought to be worth about £75m.

Is there a get-out clause for the teeth?

Written By: Henk on 07/12/14 at 5:19 pm

3rd Place Match:

Brazil 0 - 3 the Netherlands

So I was wrong. A 3rd minute penalty (by Robin van Persie) and a 16th minute volley (by Daley Blind) more or less sealed the game early on. Brazil got some chances, but only because "we" allowed them. The 3rd goal by Georginio Wijnaldum in the 92nd minute was the icing on the cake.

Written By: Henk on 07/13/14 at 4:58 pm

Final:

Germany 1 - 0 Argentina (AET)

Written By: Paul on 07/14/14 at 6:42 am

A tight one which, despite golden opportunites offered to both sides, looked like it was going to penalties...can't argue with Goetze's goal though - very well taken and quite honestly, no-one would have clawed back from that!

So congratulations to them (hissssssss!) and I surely can't dismiss Joachim's comments that 'Germany will dominate world football for years to come' - but then, Spain may have had that thought in mind at some stage!

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/16/14 at 5:02 am

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t1.0-9/10468628_785842584769495_5219757107541968723_n.jpg

When Germany became the first European side to win a World Cup in the Americas.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/16/14 at 5:03 am

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/76267000/jpg/_76267961_023164361-1.jpg

Tens of thousands of German football fans have given a heroes' welcome to the World Cup-winning team in Berlin.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/30/14 at 2:47 pm

The vanishing spray used by referees during the World Cup will be used for the first time in the Premier League this season

Check for new replies or respond here...