inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics

Written By: Henk on 02/05/14 at 5:37 am

With the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi about to start I thought I'd dedicate a thread to the event (before someone else does!) :D

We have high hopes of our 41 athletes (a record number), aiming at around 16 medals in total (which would also be a record). As usual, most of those will likely be won in speed skating, but we're also hoping for medals in short track and bobsleigh (which would be a first).

Anyone else looking forward to anything in particular? I know most events are probably scheduled at awkward times for those in the US of A and Canada.

NOTE: this is a SPORTS thread. For politics/gay rights debate see the politics section of this board.

Subject: Re: Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/05/14 at 5:40 am

Snowboard legend Shaun White says the Sochi slopestyle course is a little intimidating and needs further changes. His comments come after Norwegian medal prospect Torstein Horgmo, 26, was ruled out of the Olympics after breaking his collarbone on the course on Monday. Sochi officials reduced the height of all three jumps, but some snowboarders believe they did not go far enough.

Written By: warped on 02/05/14 at 5:45 am

Even though the Olympics begin soon, it's not even on my radar yet.  As you said many of the events will be on at "awkward" times for us in North America.  I'll watch the ice hockey, figure skating, some skiing...

I'll watch the medal hockey games even if the game begins at 3am our time.

Written By: Henk on 02/05/14 at 6:22 am

Even though the Olympics begin soon, it's not even on my radar yet.  As you said many of the events will be on at "awkward" times for us in North America.  I'll watch the ice hockey, figure skating, some skiing...

I'll watch the medal hockey games even if the game begins at 3am our time.

Ice hockey...not one of our fields of expertise! (Quite odd, considering we excell at speed skating) We've only managed to qualify once, for the 1980 Winter Olympics if I'm right.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/05/14 at 6:59 am

The Jamaican bobsleigh team have missed training on the Sochi Olympic track after their luggage was lost en-route to Russia.

Driver Winston Watts and brakeman Marvin Dixon will compete in the two-man bob in Sochi as Jamaica ended their 12-year absence at the Winter Olympics.

"It's really frustrating," said 46-year-old Watts.

"We have just got all the funding together and have arrived at the Olympics but then this happens."

The Jamaican team shot to fame after their 1988 appearance at the Winter Olympics was later turned into the movie Cool Runnings.

Watts, a veteran of the 1994 and 1998 Games, turns 47 on 8 February, eight days before the Sochi 2014 two-man bobsleigh heats begin.

His best finish at any Games is 14th in the four-man in Lillehammer 20 years ago.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/06/14 at 4:14 am

Short track speed skater Jon Eley is named as the British flagbearer for Friday's opening ceremony in Sochi

Written By: warped on 02/06/14 at 8:01 am

Sochi Visitors Report Hotel Horrors, Dangerous Conditions

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2014/02/sochi-visitors-report-hotel-horrors-dangerous-conditions/

Written By: nally on 02/06/14 at 7:52 pm

Short track speed skater Jon Eley is named as the British flagbearer for Friday's opening ceremony in Sochi

I might decide to watch some of it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/07/14 at 10:58 am

http://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/winter-olympics-ring-break.jpg?w=650&h=390&crop=1#038;h=600

Having suffered reports of ‘appalling conditions’ and unfinished facilities, the organisers of the Winter Olympics opening ceremony were probably hoping things would go without a hitch.

However the lavish show suffered a major hiccup just minutes after it had begun – after a snowflake designed to represent one of the Olympic rings failed to behave itself.

The moment in question saw a troupe of dancers, in national costume, performing below a backdrop of snowflakes, each of which was meant to transform itself into one of the rings.

But when the number ended, the fifth ring on the right hand side had remained stubbornly closed – with the huge display apparent for millions of viewers worldwide to see.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/07/14 at 11:30 am

Pop Violinist Vanessa Mae a skier since the age of four, she will represent Thailand in the 2014 Winter Olympics as an alpine skier as Vanessa Vanakorn. Vanakorn unofficially qualified, under a second set of provisions for Olympic hopefuls, and the Thai Olympic selectors have accepted her bid to represent the country, as her father is Thai.

Written By: Henk on 02/08/14 at 10:23 am

We have high hopes of our 41 athletes (a record number), aiming at around 16 medals in total (which would also be a record).

And we're off with a flying start! :D

The speed skating men's 5,000m resulted in a Dutch 1-2-3: as expected, Sven Kramer won the event (6'10.76"), with Jan Blokhuijsen claiming second place (6'15.71") just in front of Jorrit Bergsma (6'16.66"). It was the second all-Dutch podium in Winter Olympics history (the first was in the men's 10,000m in 1998).

Written By: apollonia1986 on 02/08/14 at 4:39 pm

Other than figure skating, I'm not big on the Winter Olympics, but with allthe hoopla and stuff like toothpaste being banned from flights, I'm going to pay attention and see what goes down.

Written By: Henk on 02/09/14 at 1:32 am

Dutch medal hopeful Cheryl Maas (women's  slopestyle) failed to qualify for today's final.

She had already missed direct qualification, due to a fall in both of her runs in Thursday's qualifications.
This morning's semi-finals offered her a second chance, but she fell again in both of her runs.

Written By: loki 13 on 02/09/14 at 11:37 am

I am not real big on the winter games, if skiing or snowboarding is on I'll watch but I won't go out of
my way to see it. However I do watch hockey, men and women and I also watch curling.

I watched the women's hockey game this morning between Germany and Russia. Both teams looked slow
and unconventional. I don't think either team can match up against the likes of the U.S., Canada, Sweden
or Finland but it was a good game to watch none the less.

Written By: nally on 02/09/14 at 2:18 pm

Last night I watched the men's Snowboard Slopestyle competition; Sage Kotsenburg of the U.S. won the Gold Medal in that competition.

Full story here.

The silver medal went to Staale Sandbech of Norway, and the bronze to Mark McMorris of Canada.

Written By: Henk on 02/09/14 at 4:03 pm

Today "we" won a second gold medal in the speed skating events.  :) Ireen Wüst claimed the gold on the women's 3,000m, just like she did in the 2006 Turin Olympics. With her gold medal in the 2010 Vancouver Olympics on the 1,500m she now has completed a unique trilogy*.

MTA: * No Dutch skater before her managed to win three gold medals on three consecutive Winter Olympics.

Written By: Tia on 02/09/14 at 7:23 pm

i like kaetlyn osmond. she's not the most accomplished skater in the world but she got so close and i like her wacky selections of music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FeNFi331yE

better luck next time, kid.

Written By: Henk on 02/10/14 at 8:25 am

And as usual, the Dutch short track team can not live up to the expectations.  ::)

No finals for Sjinkie Knegt and Niels Kerstholt (men's 500m), who finished 3rd and 6th in the semi-final, nor for the women's relay team after a fall and a related disqualification.

Written By: Henk on 02/10/14 at 8:32 am

On the speed skating rink, on the other hand, things are looking good for the Dutch:

After the first of two heats, Ronald Smeekens is leading the pack (34.59") just in front of Michel Mulder (34.63"), the current World Champion. Ronald Mulder (twin brother of Michel) is currently 6th (34.969").

Written By: Henk on 02/10/14 at 10:11 am

On the speed skating rink, on the other hand, things are looking good for the Dutch:

After the first of two heats, Ronald Smeekens is leading the pack (34.59") just in front of Michel Mulder (34.63"), the current World Champion. Ronald Mulder (twin brother of Michel) is currently 6th (34.969").

And after two heats, it's another clean sweep for the Netherlands! :D :D :D

1. Michel Mulder
2. Jan Smeekes (+0.01")
3. Ronald Mulder (+0.15")

Michel and Ronald Mulder are the second twin brothers to win medals in the same event on the same Olympics. Question for you folks: who were the first to achieve this feat? ::)

Written By: warped on 02/10/14 at 10:13 am

Today "we" won a second gold medal in the speed skating events.  :) Ireen Wüst claimed the gold on the women's 3,000m, just like she did in the 2006 Turin Olympics. With her gold medal in the 2010 Vancouver Olympics on the 1,500m she now has completed a unique trilogy*.

MTA: * No Dutch skater before her managed to win three gold medals on three consecutive Winter Olympics.

I saw that. She won by quite a bit. She skates so smoothly. 
The Dutch always seem to perform well in speed skating.

I watched the American women's hockey team beat Switzerland 9-0. They were dominating. I will be shocked in the U.S. don't win women's US hockey gold.

Written By: warped on 02/10/14 at 10:14 am

Micehl and Ronald Mulder are the second twin brothers to win medals in the same event on the same Olympics. Question for you folks: who were the first to achieve this feat? ::)

I'm gonna guess American's Phil and Steve Mahre, in skiing.

Written By: whistledog on 02/10/14 at 1:55 pm

1. Michel Mulder
2. Jan Smeekes (+0.01")

Micehl and Ronald Mulder are the second twin brothers to win medals in the same event on the same Olympics. Question for you folks: who were the first to achieve this feat? ::)

I just saw that now.  That was quite a feat! 

Written By: Henk on 02/10/14 at 3:04 pm

I'm gonna guess American's Phil and Steve Mahre, in skiing.

And we have a winner! :) You sure know your Olympics! ;)

Written By: Henk on 02/10/14 at 3:07 pm

1. Michel Mulder
2. Jan Smeekes (+0.01")

This brings our total to 3 gold, 2 silver and 2 bronze medals. We are currently second in the medal table, only just behind... Canada!

Written By: warped on 02/10/14 at 3:09 pm

This brings our total to 3 gold, 2 silver and 2 bronze medals. We are currently second in the medal table, only just behind... Canada!

We're first?  ???
I didn't even know.
I probably should follow the Olympics more. 
I still expect the USA or Russia to win the most medals.

Written By: Henk on 02/10/14 at 4:32 pm

We're first?  ???
I didn't even know.
I probably should follow the Olympics more. 
I still expect the USA or Russia to win the most medals.

At the time of writing Canada had 3 gold, 3 silver and 1 bronze medal. Of course things can change overnight.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 02/10/14 at 9:17 pm

http://24.media.tumblr.com/4684abe204ea3b14227a298dc23344e9/tumblr_n0qvdjAGED1sfft36o1_500.jpg

The flags...

;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/11/14 at 3:22 am

On Sunday Great Britain's Jenny Jones won Bronze in the Slopestyle, it is the first medal GB has won on snow since the formation of the Winter Olympic Games in 1924.

Written By: Henk on 02/11/14 at 5:58 am

Snowboarders Dimi de Jong and Dolf van der Wal (men's halfpipe) today failed to qualify for the final.

Now why am I not surprised? ::) We really should stick to what we do best, and that's speed skating.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/11/14 at 6:26 am

Snowboarders Dimi de Jong and Dolf van der Wal (men's halfpipe) today failed to qualify for the final.

Now why am I not surprised? ::) We really should stick to what we do best, and that's speed skating.
...and GB's Katie Summerhayes failed to claim medal in final of the women's slopestyle freestyle ski

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/11/14 at 8:20 am

GB men's curling team win their latest round-robin match 7-6 against Germany

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/11/14 at 8:20 am

GB's Andrew Musgrave eliminated in the quarter-finals of the men's cross country sprint at the Winter Olympics

Written By: Henk on 02/11/14 at 9:08 am

After the first heat of the women's 500m speed skating, Margot Boer is ranked 5th, 0.19" behind the current #3 and 0.20" behind the current #2. I don't see her bridging that gap.

With the second heat well underway, I'm not expecting a medal today.

Written By: Henk on 02/11/14 at 9:51 am

After the first heat of the women's 500m speed skating, Margot Boer is ranked 5th, 0.19" behind the current #3 and 0.20" behind the current #2. I don't see her bridging that gap.

With the second heat well underway, I'm not expecting a medal today.

But hey, whaddayasay... it's a bronze! :D The first ever medal for the Netherlands in the women's 500m! Congrats, Margot Boer!

We're now at 8 medals in total. That's the same number of medals we won in Vancouver...

Written By: Paul on 02/11/14 at 10:54 am

We're now at 8 medals in total. That's the same number of medals we won in Vancouver...

Well, that's seven more than what we've got!

Funny, ain't it? Our two countries are virtually identical, climate-wise, but you have a better grip of winter sport than we do!

Written By: warped on 02/11/14 at 11:14 am

Don't look now, but Norway is in first place in total medals!

Good for Noway!

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/11/14 at 2:14 pm

Carina Vogt of Germany wins the first-ever women's Olympic ski jumping gold medal with the last jump

Written By: warped on 02/11/14 at 2:25 pm

And we have a winner! :) You sure know your Olympics! ;)

Just a good guess. I wasn't sure whether they both won a medal, but I knew one of them did for sure and knew they were twins.

Anyways, this is how most of Canada looks at the Olympics. "We don't care what happens as long as we win Men's hockey gold". That is the mindset of most Canadians when looking at these Olympics.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/12/14 at 5:18 am

Four-man bobsleigh athlete John Baines replaces the injured Craig Pickering in Great Britain's two-man team

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/12/14 at 5:18 am

Britain's Chemmy Alcott finishes 19th in the women's downhill skiing

Written By: Henk on 02/12/14 at 5:24 am

Well, that's seven more than what we've got!

Funny, ain't it? Our two countries are virtually identical, climate-wise, but you have a better grip of winter sport than we do!

And it only gets worse for Team GB comparing a) the number of athletes sent (56 for GB, I think, vs. 41 for NL), and b) the population of both countries (63 million (plus) for GB vs. 16.5 million for NL).

Not to rub it in or anything...and the games aren't over yet! ;)

Written By: Henk on 02/12/14 at 5:30 am

Anyways, this is how most of Canada looks at the Olympics. "We don't care what happens as long as we win Men's hockey gold". That is the mindset of most Canadians when looking at these Olympics.

Same sentiments as in USA, Russia, Czech Republic and Finland, I suppose... could be interesting.

Written By: Paul on 02/12/14 at 5:37 am

And it only gets worse for Team GB comparing a) the number of athletes sent (56 for GB, I think, vs. 41 for NL), and b) the population of both countries (63 million (plus) for GB vs. 16.5 million for NL).

Not to rub it in or anything...and the games aren't over yet! ;)

If ever someone comes up with ice cycling, or ice rowing, then you watch us fly!

Written By: Henk on 02/12/14 at 9:28 am

BREAKING NEWS

Team NL have added two more medals to their tally! 8) Stefan Groothuis takes the gold and Michel Mulder takes the bronze in the men's 1000m. speed skating.

That makes it 10 medals in total already. FYI: our current record stands at 11.

Written By: Henk on 02/12/14 at 9:39 am

If we keep up this pace (2 medals per day on average) we would end up with 28 medals...Unheard of!

Written By: Henk on 02/12/14 at 9:44 am

That makes it 10 medals in total already. FYI: our current record stands at 11.

Only Norway has won more medals these Winter Olympics, and we're equal to Canada. Wow.

Written By: warped on 02/12/14 at 9:47 am

Watched a very exciting women's hockey game this morning, CAN versus USA. Great action.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/12/14 at 10:35 am

Canada's beat Great Britain 9-6 in a tight encounter on the third day of women's Olympic curling at Sochi 2014.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/13/14 at 2:03 am

Curling

Britain 8-7 China

Hearts pounding over in the Ice Box as Eve Muirhead launches the final stone with the scores tied at 7-7, but there's no need to worry because the captain is as cool as a cucumber which has been packed in an, erm, ice box. The stone lands in the centre circle and Britain snatch victory. Britain's women currently fifth in the table thanks to two victories.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/13/14 at 2:10 am

Skeleton

Women's heat 1

Lizzy Yarnold's time of 58.43 seconds in the first heat remains the quickest, with the Briton 0.05 seconds ahead of her nearest competitor Elena Nikitina. Shelley Rudman is plummeting down the leaderboard and last year's world champion is currently 12th after her 59.46-second first run.

Written By: Henk on 02/13/14 at 9:25 am

More medals for Team NL! :D

Irene Wüst claims silver, Margot Boer claims bronze on the women's 1000m. speed skating.

Twelve medals and counting...

Written By: nally on 02/13/14 at 11:12 pm

I notice that... same total as the US (as of right now at least).

But there is more to come!

Written By: Henk on 02/14/14 at 5:14 am

A strange day today.... no Dutch athletes in any competition today, which also means: no medals!

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/14/14 at 9:30 am

Britons Kristan Bromley & Dominic Parsons are joint-8th and joint-10th respectively at halfway point in men's skeleton

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/14/14 at 11:46 am

Lizzy Yarnold wins Britain's first gold medal of the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics in the women's skeleton 

Written By: nally on 02/14/14 at 5:54 pm

Men's Hockey: Finland defeats Norway 6-1.

I happened to see part of this game on TV earlier today.

Written By: Henk on 02/15/14 at 2:12 am

Lizzy Yarnold wins Britain's first gold medal of the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics in the women's skeleton

Congratulations! :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/15/14 at 3:03 am

Local Derby in the Ice Hockey, Finland v Sweden

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/15/14 at 3:20 am

GB's women curlers beat South Korea 10-8 in the first of their two matches on day eight at the Winter Olympics

Written By: Paul on 02/15/14 at 3:54 am

That is one batsh*t insane event - probably why we've done so well in it!

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/15/14 at 4:59 am

Britain's Elise Christie was penalised for the second time at the Sochi Olympics and forced out of the short track 1500m in the qualifying heats.

She finished first but, after deliberation from the judges, was relegated to sixth place, with only the top three going through to the semi-finals.

It came two days after she was penalised in the 500m final, in which she had finished second.

Christie's main event is the 1000m.

In the final straight, the 23-year-old moved inside and with a burst of speed passed Arianna Fontana, the Italian she had been deemed to impede in the 500m race.

The Scot skated wide of the finish line marked in the ice and therefore classed as not crossing it.

She was visibly upset at the second decision to go against her in Russia.

Written By: Henk on 02/15/14 at 9:27 am

Another two medals for Team NL.

This morning, Sjinkie Knegt won a bronze medal in the men's 1000m short track. It is the first medal ever for the Netherlands in short track skating.

And this afternoonKoen Verweij was awarded the silver medal in the men's 1500m speed skating, with a time that was just 0.003" slower than Poland's Zbigniew Brodka.
Brodka's medal is the first ever for Poland in speed skating for men.

After all the euphoria of the first five days, silver and bronze almost feel like losing, where in fact we're doing so much better than we ever did.

Written By: nally on 02/15/14 at 4:08 pm

Congratulations! :)

Indeed!! 8) I happened to see that on a tape-delayed broadcast last night.

And the silver medal in that event went to Noelle Pikus-Pace, of the U.S.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/15/14 at 4:31 pm

And the silver medal in that event went to Noelle Pikus-Pace, of the U.S.
She was over excited when receiving her medal

Written By: nally on 02/15/14 at 4:33 pm

She was over excited when receiving her medal

I could tell by her reaction! :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/15/14 at 4:34 pm

I could tell by her reaction! :)
She was dancing around, waving her about.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 02/15/14 at 4:53 pm

Can someone help me?

I spent the other day watching the Men's Figure skating event--long and short programs--and I need to know. Who were the top three? Cause I wanted to see if anyone beat the fellow from Japan. Because I really liked the Asian-Canadian skater performing for Canada and wanted to know how he did. Also, where did Brian Joubert place?  :o (I hate Plushenko had to back out cause of an injury!)

Men's skating is the only thing I care about.

Written By: whistledog on 02/15/14 at 5:57 pm

I am excited to see Canada in the Men's hockey finals.  Mike Smith is from my hometown

Written By: Henk on 02/16/14 at 9:50 am

This must feel rather discouraging to other speed skating countries, but...

WE DID IT AGAIN!!

Another clean sweep for the Netherlands. This time it's the women's 1500m. Gold medal for Jorien ter Mors, silver medal for Ireen Wüst and bronze medal for Lotte van Beek. Unlucky fourth place for Marrit Leenstra, also from the Netherlands.

Now we're at 17 medals in total. At the moment of typing, no other country has won more medals at these Olympics. It's hard to believe, but this is really happening.

Written By: Henk on 02/16/14 at 10:02 am

Can someone help me?

I spent the other day watching the Men's Figure skating event--long and short programs--and I need to know. Who were the top three? Cause I wanted to see if anyone beat the fellow from Japan. Because I really liked the Asian-Canadian skater performing for Canada and wanted to know how he did. Also, where did Brian Joubert place?  :o (I hate Plushenko had to back out cause of an injury!)

Men's skating is the only thing I care about.

I haven't seen any of the action, but here are the top three:

1. Yuzuru Hanyu (JPN) 280.09
2. Patrick Chan (CAN)  275.62
3. Denis Tan (KAZ)      255.10

Brian Joubert ended in 13th place, with a score of 231.77.

Written By: warped on 02/16/14 at 10:45 am

WE DID IT AGAIN!!

Another clean sweep for the Netherlands. This time it's the women's 1500m. Gold medal for Jorien ter Mors, silver medal for Ireen Wüst and bronze medal for Lotte van Beek. Unlucky fourth place for Marrit Leenstra, also from the Netherlands.

Now we're at 17 medals in total. At the moment of typing, no other country has won more medals at these Olympics. It's hard to believe, but this is really happening.

It's really happening! Congratulations to your country! Must be a great feeling for all the Dutch out there!

Happy for you!  :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/17/14 at 12:04 am

They should have had the Olympics in St. Petersburg, where there's a winter nobody will ever forget and the most magnificent city Mother Russia has to offer!
8)

Written By: Paul on 02/17/14 at 4:15 am

Fantastic suff, Henk...people out there must be going wild!

This must be the country's best showing ever - a big push and you'll have them Germans off the top of the medals table!  ;)

Written By: Henk on 02/17/14 at 4:42 am

Fantastic suff, Henk...people out there must be going wild!

This must be the country's best showing ever - a big push and you'll have them Germans off the top of the medals table!  ;)

I'm not sure if we can do that, but we'll sure give them a run for their money. ;)

Of the 17 medals we've won so far, 16 were won in speed skating. That in itself is a world record. And we've still got the men's 10k, the women's 5k and both pursuits on the agenda!

Short track: one medal so far. Not quite what we were aiming for, but there's still some events on the agenda. Maybe the men's relay team can snatch a medal.
Snowboarding: hugely disappointing so far, with not even one spot in any final. I'm not expecting things to pick up there.
Bobsleighing: no medals to be expected. Top-10 for the women's bob would be quite an achievement.
Other events: no Dutch participation.

So in all, there's room for another 5 medals, I'd say. 8)

Written By: Paul on 02/18/14 at 4:29 am

Stunning stuff from the 'men with brooms' as GB's curlers knock out Norway with the last stone to reach the semis...bit of a problem, they now face Sweden, who are rather hot!

Similar fortunes for the women's team, who let go of a three point lead against Denmark and will now face the unbeaten Canadians...

Oh well, you never know!  ;)

Written By: Henk on 02/18/14 at 9:48 am

Surprise, surprise...another clean sweep for the Netherlands.

Results of the men's 10k (speed skating):

1. Jorrit Bergsma
2. Sven Kramer
3. Bob de Jong

It's not so much surprising to see Team NL end up 1-2-3, but what will surprise most is that it isn't Sven Kramer on the #1 position.
This is the fourth medal for veteran Bob de Jong on the Olympic 10k: he already won silver in 1998, gold in 2006 and bronze in 2010.

Written By: Henk on 02/18/14 at 10:05 am

1. Jorrit Bergsma
2. Sven Kramer
3. Bob de Jong

It's not so much surprising to see Team NL end up 1-2-3, but what will surprise most is that it isn't Sven Kramer on the #1 position.
This is the fourth medal for veteran Bob de Jong on the Olympic 10k: he already won silver in 1998, gold in 2006 and bronze in 2010.

Let's see... 17 + 3 makes 20. Still more than any other country at these Olympics! :o

Written By: karen on 02/19/14 at 4:05 am

1. Jorrit Bergsma
2. Sven Kramer
3. Bob de Jong

I caught the last two races of this event yesterday.  Bergsma had an excellent skate, easily beating the Olympic record.  Kramer almost looked like he wasn't trying to win.  He never seemed to make any effort to speed up even when he coach was going ballistic at him.

Written By: Henk on 02/19/14 at 4:13 am

I caught the last two races of this event yesterday.  Bergsma had an excellent skate, easily beating the Olympic record.  Kramer almost looked like he wasn't trying to win.  He never seemed to make any effort to speed up even when he coach was going ballistic at him.

Apparently, Kramer has been suffering from a back injury this week. That is why he wasn't able to speed up, even though he wanted to (and usually does!). He wasn't happy at all with the silver. We all remember how terribly things went wrong 4 years ago, and now he "failed" again in winning gold...I can only imagine how that must feel.

Still, we've got the men's pursuit to go for.

Written By: Henk on 02/19/14 at 4:17 am

No medals for Team NL in the women's giant parallel slalom (snowboard) this time... :(

Michelle Dekker didn't make the first cut (final 16), as was to be expected: she's only 17 years old, and lacks experience.
Nicolien Sauerbreij (defending Olympic champion) made the final 16, but came 0.05" short for a place in the quarter finals.

Written By: Henk on 02/19/14 at 9:04 am

Results from the women's 5000m speed skating:

1. Martina Sablikova (CZE)
2. Irene Wüst (NED)
3. Carien Kleibeuker (NED)

So another two medals for Team NL, though not really the one color we were hoping/aiming for.

Written By: Henk on 02/19/14 at 9:42 am

Huge upset in the men's hockey: Finland beats Russia 3 to 1. No medal for The Big Red Machine! :o

Written By: Henk on 02/19/14 at 9:43 am

Results from the women's 5000m speed skating:

1. Martina Sablikova (CZE)
2. Irene Wüst (NED)
3. Carien Kleibeuker (NED)

So another two medals for Team NL, though not really the one color we were hoping/aiming for.

Irene Wüst has now won 4 medals (1 gold, 3 silver) at these Olympic Games - a new Dutch record.

Written By: Paul on 02/19/14 at 10:35 am

Huge upset in the men's hockey: Finland beats Russia 3 to 1. No medal for The Big Red Machine! :o

No great upset for GB's women curlers, losing 6-4 to the red-hot Canadians...third place, maybe?

But the men did good! Last stone thriller again, as the Swedes were beaten 6-5, so a guaranteed medal there...

Now, no chortling, our American and Canadian friends (and especially Henk), but these three medals will be our best winter Olympic success since 1936!

Written By: Henk on 02/19/14 at 1:09 pm

In the women's bobsleigh, Netherlands 1 (Esmé Kamphuis and Judith Vis ) finished a highly respectable 4th place, 0.66" behind the bronze.
This is the best result ever for a Dutch bobsleighing team.

Written By: nally on 02/19/14 at 7:30 pm

In the women's bobsleigh, Netherlands 1 (Esmé Kamphuis and Judith Vis ) finished a highly respectable 4th place, 0.66" behind the bronze.
This is the best result ever for a Dutch bobsleighing team.

I watched part of that competition last night; congratz to Kaillie Humphries & Heather Moyse of Canada on the gold, and two of the USA duos on the silver and bronze! (The duo that finished with silver (Elana Myers & Beatrise Williams) had held the lead until the final round, when they lost some time. Still, it's a great accomplishment for them.)

Written By: Paul on 02/20/14 at 6:40 am

No great upset for GB's women curlers, losing 6-4 to the red-hot Canadians...third place, maybe?

And yes! They achieved it, beating Switzerland 6-5 - so that's us with a guaranteed FOUR medals, our best showing since the first winter Olympics of 1924!

Americans, Canadians and Henk...NOW you can start chortling!

Written By: Henk on 02/20/14 at 6:50 am

And yes! They achieved it, beating Switzerland 6-5 - so that's us with a guaranteed FOUR medals, our best showing since the first winter Olympics of 1924!

Seriously? Four medals - that's your best performance?  :o I'm truly shocked!

Written By: Paul on 02/20/14 at 8:50 am

Seriously? Four medals - that's your best performance?  :o I'm truly shocked!

That's ALL it is! We've never bettered it!

(Not sure how it justifies the funding, but hey! We try!)

Written By: warped on 02/20/14 at 11:50 am

Watching Canada and U.S. in the women's hockey gold medal game. Can Canada win their 4th gold in a row? (Won in 2002, 2006, 2010).
Honestly, I have never seen the U.S. team look so good. I think they are better this year than Canada. We shall see.

Written By: warped on 02/20/14 at 2:34 pm

Watching Canada and U.S. in the women's hockey gold medal game. Can Canada win their 4th gold in a row? (Won in 2002, 2006, 2010).
Honestly, I have never seen the U.S. team look so good. I think they are better this year than Canada. We shall see.

Wow
What a game.
USA was the better team for the first 55 minutes. Perhaps they deserved a better fate. Seems they lost their nerve in the last 5 minutes of the game. Best women's hockey game I have ever seen.  Sometimes the best team on paper doesn't win.

Written By: Paul on 02/21/14 at 9:05 am

Getting a little creamed by Canada in the men with brooms final. 6-2 at the start of End 6, Canada has the hammer, we need the miracle!

Written By: Henk on 02/22/14 at 1:17 am

Disappointing performances by our shorttrackers and snowboarders again.

No individual medals for Sjinkie Knegt, Freek van der Wart or Jorien ter Mors (shorttrack) - in fact, they all failed to qualify for any A final. Jorien ter Mors was "best of the rest" with a fifth place in the 1000m.
The men's relay team ended fourth in the A final. All hopes for a medal were lost immediately after a fall not even halfway through the opening lap.

Michelle Dekker and Nicolien Sauerbreij failed to qualify for the final 16 in the parallel slalom (snowboard).

Which leaves the shorttrack team with one bronze medal, and the snowboarding team with none to show for.
I'm afraid this is not going to inspire kids to pick up either sport. :-\\

Written By: Henk on 02/22/14 at 1:28 am

In the medal table, we are currently ranked 6th, with not much chance of moving up much. If we win two more gold medals (still possible, for both the speed skating men's and women's pursuit teams) we might just end up in front of Germany.
On the other hand, Germany still has the 4-men bobsleighing teams with high hopes for a gold medal.

So it looks like we'll have to settle for 6th place. Not bad, but it could have been even better - if only...

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/22/14 at 5:41 am

I watched it live, well done to the women curlers

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/22/14 at 8:34 am

Skeleton champion Lizzy Yarnold has been chosen to carry the Union flag and lead Team GB into Sunday's closing ceremony of the Sochi Winter Olympics.

Written By: Henk on 02/22/14 at 9:31 am

In the medal table, we are currently ranked 6th, with not much chance of moving up much. If we win two more gold medals (still possible, for both the speed skating men's and women's pursuit teams) we might just end up in front of Germany.

And we did just that! :D Two more gold medals from the team pursuit (speed skating).

This also means we've moved up one place on the medal table.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/22/14 at 9:38 am

And we did just that! :D Two more gold medals from the team pursuit (speed skating).

This also means we've moved up one place on the medal table.
Is this the best Winter Olympics for The Netherlands, in regard to the number of medals won?

Written By: Henk on 02/22/14 at 11:45 am

Is this the best Winter Olympics for The Netherlands, in regard to the number of medals won?

The best by far! Our previous record stood at 11 medals, now we have 24.

To put this in perspective: the best we ever did at any Olympics (Summer or Winter) is 25 medals (Sydney, 2000).

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/22/14 at 11:59 am

The best by far! Our previous record stood at 11 medals, now we have 24.

To put this in perspective: the best we ever did at any Olympics (Summer or Winter) is 25 medals (Sydney, 2000).
The Closing Ceremony is tomorrow, are any more events to make the total complete?

Written By: Henk on 02/22/14 at 3:23 pm

The Closing Ceremony is tomorrow, are any more events to make the total complete?

Not really. We have a team in the 4-men's bobsleighing competition, but they're currently ranked 12th. Not that we were expecting a medal there, anyway.

Written By: nally on 02/22/14 at 11:34 pm

Congratulations to Mikaela Shiffrin of the USA for winning the women's slalom! At age 18 years and 11 months, she is the youngest person of either gender to win an Olympic slalom event.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/23/14 at 10:36 am

Swedish ice hockey player Nicklas Backstrom became the sixth athlete to test positive at the Winter Olympics.

Written By: nally on 02/23/14 at 12:25 pm

Swedish ice hockey player Nicklas Backstrom became the sixth athlete to test positive at the Winter Olympics.

oh dear :o

I wonder who the other five were..

Written By: warped on 02/23/14 at 1:07 pm

First it was GOLD in Women's hockey
Today it's GOLD in Men's hockey.

:-* 

http://images.tsn.ca/images/stories/2014/02/23/teamcanadagoldmedals_2656-430x298.jpg

Written By: nally on 02/23/14 at 8:33 pm

^ I watched parts of the game when it was shown here. Congratz to team Canada!

I also watched part of the four-man bobsled competition. Looks like U.S. took the bronze there.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/24/14 at 3:17 am

oh dear :o

I wonder who the other five were..
Austrian cross-country skier Johannes Duerr
Latvian hockey player Vitalijs Pavlovs
Ukrainian cross-country skier Marina Lisogor
German biathlete Evi Sachenbacher-Sthele
Italian bobsleigher William Frullani

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/24/14 at 3:19 am

The organisers of the Winter Games poked fun at themselves as they recreated the infamous Olympic rings malfunction during last night's closing ceremony in Sochi.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/t1/1926726_817632328250907_1907333844_n.jpg

Written By: Paul on 02/24/14 at 4:56 am

The organisers of the Winter Games poked fun at themselves as they recreated the infamous Olympic rings malfunction during last night's closing ceremony in Sochi.

Gasp! The Russkies DO have a sense of humour! Whod've thunk it?  :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/03/14 at 5:05 am

To be continued with the Paralympics which starts on Friday?

Written By: Henk on 03/03/14 at 5:11 am

To be continued with the Paralympics which starts on Friday?

I guess so, even though the media coverage won't be as massive.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/03/14 at 5:19 am

I guess so, even though the media coverage won't be as massive.
Channel 4 are scheduled for coverage here, just like the 2012 London Olympics

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/08/14 at 6:46 am

Britain's Jade Etherington wins silver in the women's visually impaired downhill at the Winter Paralympics - Kelly Gallagher sixth

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/08/14 at 6:47 am

Great Britain lose 6-3 to Canada in their opening Winter Paralympic wheelchair curling round-robin game in Sochi

Written By: Henk on 03/08/14 at 7:37 am

No Dutch successes on this first official day of Paralympic skiing.

Anna Jochemsen (women's downhill, standing) and Kees-Jan van der Klooster (men's downhill, sitting) both missed a gate and didn't finish their runs.
Bart Verbruggen (men's downhill, standing) finished 14th in the event.

FYI: there are only 7 Dutch athletes present in Sochi. And yet, apparently this is a record high!

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/08/14 at 8:19 am

Vitaliy Lukyanenko wins Ukraine's first gold at the Sochi Winter Paralympics, in the men's 7.5km visually impaired biathlon.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/08/14 at 9:15 am

Here is the latest medal count

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1/1899923_10152276162819216_1898070023_n.png

Written By: Henk on 03/08/14 at 9:52 am

Quite bizarre to see those numbers, bearing in mind it's only been a day!

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/10/14 at 2:30 am

Kelly Gallagher and her guide Charlotte Evans win the super-G - ParalympicGB's first ever gold at a Winter Games

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/10/14 at 1:27 pm

Great Britain's wheelchair curlers recover from a slow start for a comfortable 12-2 victory over Slovakia in Sochi

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/10/14 at 1:28 pm

Here is the latest medal count

https://scontent-a-cdg.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1/69281_10152281187729216_493133457_n.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/11/14 at 4:10 am

GB's wheelchair curlers lose 13-4 to Finland in their latest round robin game in Sochi

Written By: Henk on 03/11/14 at 6:02 am

No news from Team NL...

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/12/14 at 4:26 am

British skier Jade Etherington wins her third medal of the Winter Paralympics with silver in the visually impaired slalom

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/14/14 at 6:21 am

GB's Jade Etherington wins her fourth medal of the Winter Paralympics with silver in the super combined

Written By: Henk on 03/17/14 at 6:13 am

The Paralympics have officially ended, and we've won one gold medal. I really can't tell if that's good (I mean, if it was/is according to expectations). :-\\

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/17/14 at 6:18 am

The Paralympics have officially ended, and we've won one gold medal. I really can't tell if that's good (I mean, if it was/is according to expectations). :-\\
I missed the closing ceremony.

The final medal table can be seen here.

Check for new replies or respond here...