inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2014 MLB Season

Written By: nally on 02/25/14 at 7:53 pm

So...tomorrow the spring training games start. First one in the Grapefruit League will be Detroit at Atlanta; first one in the Cactus League will be L.A. Dodgers at Arizona. And speaking of Dodgers and Diamondbacks, those two teams will open up the season on Saturday, March 22nd in Sydney, Australia, with a pair of games there (Dbacks will be the home team for both of them, meaning they will only play 79 games at Chase Field), while the other 28 teams complete their spring training.

This will be Derek Jeter's final season in the majors, as he has announced he plans to retire at the end of this season.

Bud Selig also plans to step down as commissioner at the end of the season, too. I wonder who will replace him??

There will also be "expanded replay" for any controversial plays that should occur. Also, there has been a vote to prohibit home-plate collisions (between runners and catchers); this law was put into effect yesterday; not sure how that's gonna play out.

So...does anyone have predictions, as to which teams will do well, which teams not so well, etc?

Subject: Re: 2014 MLB Season

Written By: warped on 03/01/14 at 3:39 pm

This year is the 75th anniversary of Lou Gehrig's famous speech at Yankee stadium. I do believe the Yankees are planning something to remember that event .

Written By: warped on 03/13/14 at 6:39 pm

Hard to believe the season will start in 9 days, esp since we still have 2 feet of snow on the ground here. I wonder how soon will Arizona & L.A. travel to Australia before the season starts. It's a huge time difference. Needs a few days to get adjusted to it.

Written By: nally on 03/13/14 at 7:16 pm

Hard to believe the season will start in 9 days, esp since we still have 2 feet of snow on the ground here. I wonder how soon will Arizona & L.A. travel to Australia before the season starts. It's a huge time difference. Needs a few days to get adjusted to it.

I was wondering about that part, too; my guess is that they'll go there sometime next week...and then after they finish those two games in Sydney, they'll fly back to the States and wait a week before they start the rest of their games. (In between, there's probably some spring training/exhibition games that either team will play; I'm not sure.)

Written By: warped on 03/14/14 at 1:40 pm

I was wondering about that part, too; my guess is that they'll go there sometime next week...and then after they finish those two games in Sydney, they'll fly back to the States and wait a week before they start the rest of their games. (In between, there's probably some spring training/exhibition games that either team will play; I'm not sure.)

Found out something. Dodgers are leaving for Australia in 3 days (article says 4 days, but the article was written yesterday)

http://www.ocregister.com/dodgers/later-605479-today-reds.html

Written By: nally on 03/14/14 at 7:15 pm

Found out something. Dodgers are leaving for Australia in 3 days (article says 4 days, but the article was written yesterday)

http://www.ocregister.com/dodgers/later-605479-today-reds.html

That's good. Altering their sleep schedules is a good way to prepare for a time change across many time zones.

Also, I noticed in that article that Kershaw and Ryu are slated to start those two games for L.A.

Written By: nally on 03/21/14 at 11:09 pm

The "Opening Series" game starts in just a couple hours' time (1 AM in California, 4 AM in the East Coast). I am likely not going to watch it, since I don't often stay awake at that hour, but also since no TV station in my area is carrying the game (except one that is exclusive to one service provider, which millions of fans (including myself) feel is a raw deal; and MLB Network, which is carrying the game, never carries games involving local teams in local outlets).

Written By: nally on 03/22/14 at 3:24 pm

The "Opening Series" game starts in just a couple hours' time (1 AM in California, 4 AM in the East Coast). I am likely not going to watch it, since I don't often stay awake at that hour, but also since no TV station in my area is carrying the game (except one that is exclusive to one service provider, which millions of fans (including myself) feel is a raw deal; and MLB Network, which is carrying the game, never carries games involving local teams in local outlets).

And the Dodgers won the first game, 3-1. 8) Clayton Kershaw pitched 6 2/3 innings and allowed only one earned run, and he is 4-0 in 4 opening day starts (As is the team in four straight season openers.).

Written By: nally on 03/23/14 at 2:28 pm

Dodgers are officially 2-0 on the season now; they also won the second game against the D'backs in Sydney, Australia, although it took some effort to close out the game. Final score was 7-5, with four of Arizona's runs coming in the 9th inning.

Written By: warped on 03/25/14 at 6:32 pm

And the Dodgers won the first game, 3-1. 8) Clayton Kershaw pitched 6 2/3 innings and allowed only one earned run, and he is 4-0 in 4 opening day starts (As is the team in four straight season openers.).

The best thing for L.A. is that they can come back in games 3 and 4 with Kershaw & Ryu if they want.  Kershaw is IMO still the best pitcher in baseball.

Written By: nally on 03/27/14 at 11:39 pm

^ Yep. I can't argue with that. :)

Meanwhile, Miguel Cabrera of the Detroit Tigers has just agreed to a contract extension through the 2023 season, extending his current deal by 8 years (it was set to expire at the end of next year). This means he'll be 40 when his contract expires.

Written By: nally on 03/30/14 at 10:56 pm

Dodgers had a chance to win another one, with Hyun-Jin Ryu pitching 7 scoreless innings, but Brian Wilson screwed it up in the 8th, failing to even record an out. >:( I know it goes to show that even he is human, but I think Ryu could've pitched another inning. Too bad he didn't have enough run support.

The team also placed Kershaw on the D.L., which means the starting rotation has taken a blow...but he should hopefully be back as soon as he possibly can. And this is still only the beginning of the season, so, anything can happen.

Written By: nally on 03/31/14 at 6:39 pm

The Phillies and Rangers, in the second-ever interleague game to open up a regular season, played a high-scoring game. Philadelphia's Cliff Lee, pitching against one of his former teams, earned a win in a 14-10 victory in Arlington. What's more for Lee, it was his first time pitching there since the 5th and final game of the 2010 World Series, when he was a member of the Rangers, and his first Opening Day start since 2009, when he was with Cleveland (before being sent to Philly later in the season for his first stint with them)...against the Rangers.

Also in that game, Jimmy Rollins of the Phillies hit a grand slam, giving him 200 career home runs; this was also his 14th straight Opening Day start at shortstop, tying a record set by Cal Ripken (Baltimore Orioles) for most opening day starts at shortstop with the same franchise.

Written By: nally on 04/05/14 at 11:00 pm

Dudgers: losers of their first two home games...to the Gints. >:( And they got creamed in both games.

They aren't doing very well without the services of Curtain Clayshaw... and even though Matt Kemp is finally off the DL, he ain't producing much. (Clearly he's not one hundred percent again, but he's still able to play. Just so long as no injury is bothering him.)

I know it's still early in the season...but every game does count, and it is rather disappointing for fans to see their team outscored by 5+ runs in each of the first two home games of the season. Particularly when they don't produce; that is, capitalize on RISP opportunities. That is just disappointing for lack of a better word.

Written By: nally on 04/06/14 at 10:27 pm

Yay...the Dodgers have won a home game!! :D 8)

Matt Kemp and Hanley Ramirez each hit a pair of home runs to propel the Dodgers to a 6-2 victory over their long-time rivals, the San Francisco Giants, thereby averting a sweep. Zack Greinke even went 6 innings for L.A., only issuing home runs to two Giants batters (Brandon Belt and Hunter Pence) in the 6th inning, while the relievers shut 'em down the rest of the way.

Written By: nally on 04/11/14 at 11:45 pm

Dodgers: 3-0 against the Arizona Dbacks this year...all in road games. (However, tonight the teams squared off at Chase Field for the first time this year, as three weeks earlier they held the "opening series" in Sydney.)

Written By: nally on 04/12/14 at 5:21 pm

The San Diego Padres are still the only team to have never thrown a no-hitter. However, Andrew Cashner came close to throwing one yesterday for the Pods against the Tigers, but allowed only one hit. He threw 108 pitches and struck out a career-high 11 batters as the Padres won 6-0.

Written By: nally on 04/13/14 at 9:01 pm

Dodgers: 3-0 against the Arizona Dbacks this year...all in road games. (However, tonight the teams squared off at Chase Field for the first time this year, as three weeks earlier they held the "opening series" in Sydney.)

Make that 5-0. Today they completed a 3-game sweep of the Dbacks.

Written By: nally on 04/15/14 at 7:09 pm

Milwaukee Brewers: 10-2 through their first 12 games...but they laid a goose-egg last night to STL. They still have the best record in the majors, heading into play today.

Written By: nally on 04/18/14 at 11:48 pm

Ike Davis traded from Mets to Pirates. Who'da thunk it?

Written By: nally on 04/21/14 at 11:56 pm

I know it's early in the season, but my team has been playing like crap tonight. In this game, they have used two pitchers who are horrible... starter Paul Maholm, and reliever Jose Dominguez. I don't know why they brought Jose back instead of Paco Rodriguez. When Brian Wilson was reactivated, Paco was sent down to the minors. But now Jose Dominguez is back on the major league roster (and someone had to be sent down to the minors to make room for him) instead of Paco. >:( IMHO, that is a recipe for disaster... and it showed tonight; Maholm giving up runs to the Phillies, and Dominguez promptly serving up a two-run homer in the 9th. And our run total is...that's right, GOOSE-EGG! >:( I'm sorry, but I just get really frustrated when stuff like this happens.

Written By: nally on 04/22/14 at 11:16 pm

Albert Pujols = 26th and newest member of the 500 Home Run Club. He hit two of 'em today for the Angels en route to a 6-2 victory over the Washington Nationals in D.C.

Written By: warped on 04/26/14 at 7:37 am

Albert Pujols = 26th and newest member of the 500 Home Run Club. He hit two of 'em today for the Angels en route to a 6-2 victory over the Washington Nationals in D.C.

Yes, I saw that, hit 2 in that game.
When he's healthy, he can still be a dominant player in the game.

Written By: nally on 04/26/14 at 10:42 am

Yes, I saw that, hit 2 in that game.
When he's healthy, he can still be a dominant player in the game.

And he seems to be healthy this year, so far, which is good.

In fact, he hit #501 last nite against NYY.

Written By: nally on 04/28/14 at 8:25 pm

Bryce Harper: out until July (at the earliest) with a thumb injury.

Written By: nally on 04/30/14 at 11:09 pm

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/23/d7/ce/23d7cee271e425a727c1f24e3bb092d1.jpg

And it's a 6-4 victory over the Minnesota Twins at a wet Target Field.

Written By: warped on 05/01/14 at 10:28 am

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1.0-9/p720x720/603687_10152788130228508_9083381034443321069_n.jpg

And it's a 6-4 victory over the Minnesota Twins at a wet Target Field.

Great!
Is that regular season only?

Written By: nally on 05/01/14 at 7:24 pm

Great!
Is that regular season only?

As far as I know, yes.

They join the likes of the Cubs, Braves, and Giants, who are the only other teams with more than 10,000 franchise wins. O0

Written By: nally on 05/02/14 at 12:10 am

And now the Dodgers have completed a sweep of the Twins, despite leaving 16 total runners on base in the finale. For L.A., it's their first interleague series sweep on the road since July of last year, when they swept the Blue Jays in Toronto, and the first time in 12 years that they've swept a doubleheader (their game originally scheduled for Tuesday was rained out and made up in the daytime today). (Also, it's the first time that they've swept the Twins, either in L.A. or Minnesota.)

Written By: nally on 05/06/14 at 10:26 pm

Good news for the Dodgers and their fans... Kershaw came off the D.L. today and started for the first time since Opening Day (in Sydney, Australia) and pitched 7 strong scoreless innings without walking anybody... en route to an 8-3 victory over the Washington Nationals. (The only three Washington runs scored in the 8th off of reliever Chris Perez, who was quite shaky during that inning.)

Written By: nally on 05/10/14 at 11:29 am

Dodgers seem to be on a downturn again. :(

Of course, I said this last year and they eventually made a turnaround. Not sure what it's gonna take this time. :-\\

Written By: nally on 05/10/14 at 6:44 pm

Dodgers seem to be on a downturn again. :(

Of course, I said this last year and they eventually made a turnaround. Not sure what it's gonna take this time. :-\\

Well, they finally won one this afternoon (coming from behind). Andre Ethier was left out of the lineup again, thanks to Mattingly, but they still managed to take a lead in the 7th inning and keep it.

Written By: warped on 05/14/14 at 6:11 am

The Red Sox and Yankees are both at .500. When was the last time neither of them were about .500 after 38 games?
The Astros continue to struggle and changing leagues hasn't helped them much.
The worst team in the NL is the Chicago Cubs, I guess they will have to wait at least 1 more year. It will be 106 years this year since they last won a World Series.

Written By: nally on 05/14/14 at 7:36 pm

The Red Sox and Yankees are both at .500. When was the last time neither of them were about .500 after 38 games?

Hmm, interesting thought.

Btw, Josh Beckett finally got a win last night... for the first time since his final 2012 start (Sept. 30). He beat one of his old teams, the Marlins.

Written By: nally on 05/18/14 at 3:53 pm

Dodgers are no longer undefeated on the road against the Arizona Deebacks this year. Last night Clayton Kershaw got knocked around early (so unlike him...but it goes to show that even he is human), Dodgers found themselves in a 7-run hole and made a comeback, but it got away again and they were defeated by a landslide.

Written By: nally on 05/23/14 at 7:14 pm

Toronto Blue Jays in first place in the A.L. East heading into today's games. Who'da thunk it?

Written By: nally on 05/25/14 at 8:09 pm

Josh Beckett of the L.A. Dodgers threw a no-hitter today in Philadelphia. For the Dodgers, it was the team's first no-hitter since Hideo Nomo pitched one against the Rockies in Colorado on 17 September 1996.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1.0-9/10418371_10152852618253508_7119944242006084841_n.jpg

Written By: nally on 05/27/14 at 7:29 pm

...and last night, Hyun-Jin Ryu of the Dodgers tried to keep it going. He had a perfect game through 7 innings, but when the 8th inning started, he gave up a base hit to the first Reds batter he faced. Nonetheless, the Dodgers won the game 4-3.

Written By: nally on 05/31/14 at 11:37 pm

Dodgers end a 3-game skid by trouncing the Pirates 12-2. Hyun-Jin Ryu pitched 6 innings to earn the win, but threw 108 total pitches.

Written By: warped on 06/02/14 at 12:24 pm

This season has gone by quickly, already around the 1/3 mark.

The best team in baseball? the SF Giants.
The worst team in baseball? The team that has gone the longest without winning the world series, the Chicago Cubs.

I really feel for Chicago Cubs fans. It's not getting any better.

Written By: nally on 06/05/14 at 10:33 pm

Last night it was announced that long-time baseball personality Don Zimmer died at the age of 83. He was a player, manager, and a coach. :\'(

Written By: nally on 06/09/14 at 11:42 pm

Cleveland Indians beat up on the Tex Rangers tonight, 17-7. Indians 3rd baseman Lonnie Chisenhall knocked in 9 of his team's 17 runs.

Written By: nally on 06/11/14 at 7:19 pm

Last night it was announced that long-time baseball personality Don Zimmer died at the age of 83. He was a player, manager, and a coach. :\'(

Another baseball great has also bitten the dust... namely Bob Welch, a pitcher who was active from 1978-94 with the L.A. Dodgers and Oakland Athletics. His greatest career achievement was probably his 27-win season with the A's in 1990; this achievement helped him win that year's A.L. Cy Young Award. (To date, no pitcher has amassed 25+ wins in a season since then.) Mr. Welch was 57 years old, and his exact cause of death (this past Monday) is presently unknown. :\'(

R.I.P. Bob :\'(

Written By: nally on 06/14/14 at 11:07 pm

Congratulations to Philadelphia Phillies infielder Jimmy Rollins for overtaking Mike Schmidt on the franchise's all time hit list, with 2,235.

Written By: nally on 06/18/14 at 12:01 am

American League Central winner at the end of play today: Kansas City Royals.

Who'da thunk it?

Written By: nally on 06/19/14 at 12:32 am

Clayton Kershaw of the L.A. Dodgers has just thrown a no-hitter against the Colorado Rockies!!!! :D :D :D

He was perfect through 6 innings, but the first batter to face him in 7th inning reached on a throwing error by shortstop Hanley Ramirez, who left the game shortly thereafter. Still, he did not walk anybody, nor were there any hit batsmen. This makes 22 no-hitters in Dodgers franchise history (12 in L.A., 10 in Brooklyn).

Josh Beckett threw a no-no just three weeks ago, in Philadelphia; this makes two Dodger no-hitters in the same year. The last time that the Dodgers threw two no-hitters during the same season? 1956, the second-to-last year before they moved west.

Kersh celebrating with his wife, Ellen, after the game:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t1.0-9/p180x540/10425188_10152918306963508_4339915995019056001_n.jpg

Written By: nally on 06/25/14 at 6:16 pm

Tim Lincecum has thrown his second career no-hitter, blanking the San Diego Padres 4-zip. His other career no-hitter, which he pitched last year, was also against the Padres.

Written By: nally on 06/28/14 at 10:31 pm

Earlier this year, the Giants had a 9 1/2 game lead on the Dodgers in the NL West division. At the start of play today, the lead has dwindled to 2 games. And the Dodgers won their game tonight, so their deficit is down to 1 1/2 games, pending the result of tonight's Reds-Giants game.

Btw, the Dodgers' win was Zack Greinke's 10th of the season, so he is the first Dodger pitcher to join the "double-digit victories club." Hyun-Jin Ryu had that opportunity last night, but the Cardinals had other plans.

Written By: nally on 06/29/14 at 6:45 pm

Dodgers and Giants: tied for the NL West division lead!!! :D

However, the Giants actually remain percentage points ahead of the Dodgers, because the Dodgers (47-37) have played more games than the Giants (46-36). The Giants were swept in a 4-game home series by the Cincinnati Reds. (This was the first time in the 15-year history of AT&T Park that the Giants have been swept in a 4-game series, and the first in San Francisco in general since 1996, when their home stadium was Candlestick Park.)

Written By: nally on 07/01/14 at 4:37 pm

In yesterday's Cubs-Red Sox game, CHC starting pitcher Jake Arrieta had a no-hitter going until the 8th inning, when Stephen Drew broke through with a base hit to right-center field. Still, the Cubs won 2-0.

Written By: nally on 07/02/14 at 10:29 am

And now the Giants are now half a game ahead of the Dodgers, thanks to Lim Tincecum pitching another shutout (but not a no-hitter, as the Cardinals' Allen Craig singled off him in the 2nd inning) and the Dudgers failing to beat the Cleveland Idiots. Indians (On Monday, LAD shut out CLE, 1-zip.)

Written By: nally on 07/03/14 at 11:20 pm

Dodgers now half a game ahead of the Giants, once again. STL pummeled SF this afternoon 7-2, and LAD beat COL in Denver 3-2.

Written By: nally on 07/06/14 at 6:50 pm

Clayton Kershaw continued his dominance against the opposition in his start on Friday, bringing his scoreless innings streak to 36 (overtaking Don Sutton (1972) and Fernando Valenzuela (1981), both with 35) for sole possession of 3rd place on the list of Dodger pitchers with scoreless streaks. (Leading all time are Orel Hershiser, with 59 consecutive scoreless innings pitched in 1988, and Don Drysdale, with 58 in 1968.)

Written By: nally on 07/06/14 at 6:52 pm

The All-Star game will feature at least 4 Dodgers players. Those confirmed to represent the team: pitchers Zack Greinke and Clayton Kershaw, outfielder Yasiel Puig, and infielder Dee Gordon.

Written By: nally on 07/11/14 at 9:05 am

Kershaw's streak of consecutive scoreless innings came to an end last night at 41. He allowed a home run in the 6th inning of last night's game, but still went the distance as LAD won, 2-1, over the Padres.

Written By: nally on 07/13/14 at 10:52 pm

Today's Arizona Dbacks-San Francisco Giants game featured all 8 Giants runs scoring by means of grand slam. Buster Posey hit the first grand slam, but later on, the pitcher, Madison Bumgarner, hit one of his own. Bumgarner had hit another grand slam earlier this year (namely on April 11, at home against the Rockies), becoming the first pitcher to hit two grand slams in a single season since Tony Cloninger of the Atlanta Braves in 1966. Cloninger's grand slams both came in the same game...against the Giants, in San Francisco.

The Giants, with their win over AZ, trail my team, the NL-West-leading L.A. Dodgers, by one full game in the standings heading into the All Star Break. LAD defeated the San Diego Padres 1-0 for the second straight day.

Written By: nally on 07/16/14 at 9:03 am

American League wins the All-Star Game, 5-3, over the National League. This means that whichever AL team reaches the World Series will host the first two games.

Derek Jeter, in his final All-Star Game, went 2-for-2; Mike Trout of the Angels was named MVP.

Written By: nally on 07/21/14 at 11:48 pm

David Ortiz of the Boston Red Sox has passed up Carl Yastrzemski, a former Red Sox player, for sole possession 36th place on the all-time home run list. Coming into the game, Ortiz trailed "Yaz" by only one, but hit one in the fourth inning to tie Yaz with 452 all-time; the next inning, when Big Poppy came to bat again, he hit his 453rd career homer.

This all came in a 14-1 rout over the Toronto Blue Jays.

Written By: nally on 07/26/14 at 1:37 pm

Dodgers hit 5 triples last night, 3 of which came from Yasiel Puig, en route to an 8-1 victory over the Giants in SF.

Written By: nally on 07/27/14 at 12:09 am

Dodgers make it two in a row in San Fran; a 5-0 victory. Clayton Kershaw pitched his 15th career complete game, the 9th of which was a shutout.

For the Giants, they acquired Jake Peavy from Boston in order to bolster their injury-plagued starting rotation. He'll be facing LAD tomorrow night; as a member of the Padres he faced them frequently and did well against 'em.

Written By: nally on 07/27/14 at 11:09 pm

Dodgers complete sweep of Giants in San Francisco! They are now 1 1/2 games up on the Giants in the NL West standings. O0

Written By: nally on 07/31/14 at 11:05 pm

Today being "trade deadline" day, had some interesting moves. For example, Tampa Bay Rays pitcher David Price (who had been a huge trade candidate this year) went to the Detroit Tigers.

The Boston Redsox sent outfielder Jonny Gomes and pitcher Jon Lester to the Oakland Athletics... for star outfielder Yoenis Cespedes.

Written By: nally on 07/31/14 at 11:49 pm

Dodgers have not been involved in any of the big trades, although they did express interest in some of the trade targets (such as Price and Lester).

I guess it paid off... since tonight they have just completed a sweep of the Atlanta Braves!! What's more, Clayton Kershaw has finally won a game against 'em. 8)

Written By: nally on 08/04/14 at 7:33 pm

Over the weekend, Jim Thome signed a "one-day" contract with the Cleveland Indians, so that he could officially retire with them. He hadn't played in the big leagues since 2012 with the Baltimore Orioles; now he is officially calling it a career (he began playing at the major league level in 1991 with Cleveland).

His 612 career home runs currently rank 7th on the all-time list, and I think that stat is going to stay there for a while. If anyone overtakes him in the next ten years, it'll probably be Pujols, provided he stays healthy and clean.

Written By: nally on 08/08/14 at 9:13 am

Dodgers took 3 of 4 games in the "Freeway Series" with the Angels, winning both games at Angel Stadium. Last night was the finale, which they won 7-0. Angels center-fielder Mike Trout, who turned 23, did not get a hit, like he did on his previous two birthdays.

For the Dodgers, it was their first time sweeping the Angel Stadium portion of the series since 1997, the very first year of interleague play.

Written By: danootaandme on 08/11/14 at 11:17 am

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/11331026/derek-jeter-new-york-yankees-passes-wagner-6th-all-hits

Derek Jeter bumps up to 6th on all-time hits, passing Honus Wagner. 

1. Pete Rose, 4,256
2. Ty Cobb, 4,191
3. Hank Aaron, 3,771
4. Stan Musial, 3,630
5. Tris Speaker, 3,515
6. Derek Jeter, 3,431

Written By: nally on 08/11/14 at 10:28 pm

WTG Jeter! O0

Also... two 19-inning games were played over the weekend; Angels beat the Redsox on Saturday night on a Pujols home run, and the Blue Jays beat the Tigers Sunday afternoon on a Jose Bautista single.

Written By: nally on 08/12/14 at 12:04 am

Kansas City Royals have overtaken the Detroit Tigers for the AL Central division lead!

KC has gone the longest of any team without reaching the postseason; they last got there in 1985, winning the World Series.

Written By: nally on 08/18/14 at 10:34 am

The American League West division has the surging Angels on top now! The Oakland A's have been slumping lately, having just been swept in Atlanta...

Written By: nally on 08/21/14 at 7:08 pm

This past Tuesday night, in Chicago, the Giants-Cubs game was halted by rain in the 5th inning, with CHC up 2-0, and eventually called... but the Giants protested that, as the grounds crew did a bad job in trying to roll the tarp onto the field, with more rain coming down and soaking up the field... so yesterday the call was overturned, with the game being retroactively suspended, and today the game resumed.

They still have to play their scheduled game for today, after they complete the suspended one!

Written By: nally on 08/24/14 at 11:04 pm

Best teams in MLB: Los Angeles Angels and Oakland Athletics, facing each other in Oakland this weekend. A's took games one and two on Friday and Saturday, respectively, resulting in a tie atop the AL West division... but it appears that the Angels have averted a sweep, 9-4, to maintain their division lead.

Written By: nally on 09/01/14 at 10:55 am

There is now a tie atop the NL Central division... the Milwaukee Brewers have been slumping (they just got swept in San Fran by the Giants, ending with a 15-5 blowout yesterday) and the St. Louis Cardinals are on a surge.

Also, in the AL West division, the Angels completed a four-game home sweep of the Oakland Athletics.

Written By: nally on 09/01/14 at 11:58 pm

Perhaps the big story of today is the combined no-hitter that the Phillies threw in Atlanta against the Braves. Cole Hamels went 6 innings and three relievers went the rest of the way. Final score: PHI 7, ATL goose-egg.

Written By: nally on 09/05/14 at 7:34 pm

Texas Rangers: first team to be mathematically eliminated from postseason contention this year.

Written By: nally on 09/13/14 at 6:39 pm

Tigers retook the AL Central division lead after they won and the Royals lost. :-\\ There's two weeks left in the season; KC still has a chance.

Written By: nally on 09/16/14 at 11:28 pm

Washington Nationals have clinched the NL East division by defeating the Braves in Atlanta.

Written By: nally on 09/17/14 at 8:00 pm

...and the Baltimore Orioles clinched the AL East division, their first division title in 17 years. (Two years ago they reached the postseason, but as a wildcard, and did not get past the division series.)

Written By: nally on 09/19/14 at 10:56 pm

Clayton Kershaw: first 20-game winner in the majors this year. Dodgers clobbered the Chicago Cubs 14-5, with two six-run innings. For Kershaw himself, it's his second 20-win season in four years.

Written By: nally on 09/23/14 at 12:55 am

So, no team will lose 100 games this year. This is because the Diamondbacks and Rangers (who each had 62 wins heading into play today) both won their respective games.

Oh, and Adam Wainwright of STL is the majors' second 20-game winner this season.

Written By: nally on 09/24/14 at 10:30 pm

Yankees: eliminated from postseason contention for a second straight year. Last time they missed the postseason in consecutive years: during a 12-year span from 1982 through 1993. (1994 doesn't count because there was no postseason due to the strike.)

Written By: nally on 09/25/14 at 10:33 am

Dodgers won last night to secure a championship for the NL West division! :D :)

Written By: nally on 09/25/14 at 11:06 pm

SF Giants will get one of the NL wildcards, as the Brewers lost an afternoon game to the Reds. Brewers are thereby eliminated from postseason contention. NL Central race is still up for grabs between the Pirates and Cardinals. One of those teams will get the other wildcard, and the other team will win the division.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/27/14 at 6:30 am

Derek Jeter's last game at Yankee Stadium was Thursday night.  He could leave on that note, but he is coming for the season end games in Boston(of all places) and let himself be put on the DH list because so many fans here want to see him.  That's class.

http://110nationsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Let-Derek-Jeter-go-out-in-style.-Not-answering-questions-about-his-former-teammate-Roger-Clemens-who-cheated..jpg

Written By: nally on 09/27/14 at 4:25 pm

^ Agreed. O0

Written By: nally on 09/27/14 at 5:11 pm

Anyway, I was glad to see the Kansas City Royals finally get a playoff spot for the first time in 29 years. They defeated the Chicago White Sox last nite, 3-1, to secure at least a wildcard. However, to win the division, they must win tonight and tomorrow, and the Tigers must lose today and tomorrow. Otherwise, KC gets a wildcard and will face either the Oakland A's or the Seattle Mariners. (But if Seattle loses OR Oakland wins, then it's all over for the M's.)

Written By: nally on 09/28/14 at 9:07 pm

Both of the Central divisions got decided on the final day of the regular season. Cardinals win the NL Central, so the Pirates get the upper wildcard spot and will host the NL Wildcard game on Wednesday against the Giants. Tigers won their game and hence the AL Central division, so the Royals get the upper AL wildcard spot, and will host the Oakland Athletics (who beat the Rangers today to eliminate the Seattle Mariners) on Tuesday in KC.

Written By: nally on 09/28/14 at 9:11 pm

Oh, and Jordan Zimmermann of the Washington Nationals threw a no-hitter today. What a way to close out the regular season for a postseason-bound team.

Written By: nally on 09/30/14 at 11:38 pm

First game of the 2014 postseason: American League Wildcard playoff---Oakland A's at KC Royals.

Right now it is in the 12th inning, with the A's up 8-7, trying to close it out.

And I was hoping the Royals would win it, and have a chance to actually see a "division series" in the current format. :-\\

Written By: nally on 09/30/14 at 11:43 pm

I stand corrected...KC just tied it up again! :D

Written By: nally on 09/30/14 at 11:55 pm

Royals win in 12!!! Final score 9-8!!! :) :D ;D 8)

So they will go to Anaheim to start their half of the ALDS with the Angels on Thursday.

Written By: nally on 10/02/14 at 8:25 am

And the NL wildcard playoff was no contest; it was all Giants, who won 8-zip over the Pirates. ::) Edinson Volquez wasn't very sharp at all.

Written By: nally on 10/03/14 at 12:33 am

ALDS Game One results:

Baltimore 12, Detroit 3... the bulk of the Orioles' runs came in the 8th inning, after a fielding error by the Tigers' shortstop

Kansas City 3, L.A. Angels 2 in 11 innings... the Angels wasted several late scoring opportunities.

Written By: nally on 10/03/14 at 7:31 pm

Orioles came from behind to beat the Tigers this afternoon, 7-6, thereby putting the Tigers on the brink of elimination as the series heads to Detroit for Sunday's game... and the Giants took care of the Nationals, 3-2, to open up their half of the NLDS.

Written By: nally on 10/04/14 at 10:59 pm

Game two of the SF-WSH NLDS is a super-long extra-inning affair...and to think, Washington had a chance to win it in the 9th, but they allowed the tying run to score. Bah! >:(

Written By: nally on 10/04/14 at 11:57 pm

Yep, the Gints broke the tie in the 18th and kept that 2-1 lead to go up 2 games to nada, with game three to be played Monday in San Fran. Washington needs to step up, otherwise it's all over for them.

Written By: nally on 10/05/14 at 12:11 am

Dodgers, on the other hand, win their Game Two over the Cardinals to split the series at a game apiece as they head to St. Louis. :)

Written By: nally on 10/05/14 at 11:13 pm

Orioles and Royals are both moving on to the ALCS, which will start Friday in Baltimore. This is because they both completed sweeps of their respective ALDSes today. Tigers and Angels are done.

Written By: nally on 10/06/14 at 8:04 pm

Washington Nationals stay alive for another game; they defeated the SF Giants 4-1 at AT&T Park this afternoon and now trail in their NLDS 2 games to 1.

Written By: nally on 10/06/14 at 11:33 pm

Dodgers now on the brink of elimination. They just could not cash in runners on base against those Cardinals.

Written By: nally on 10/07/14 at 7:26 pm

Dodgers' season is over. They wasted a strong start by Clayton Kershaw, who was brilliant through six innings... but in the seventh it fell apart. Instead of lifting Kershaw for Dan Haren, who hasn't pitched at all during the NLDS, Mattingly opted to stick with Kersh in the 7th, and the Cardinals took the lead and kept it. :P

Now I will hope that the Washington Nationals can beat the Giants again tonight and force a decider on Thursday in D.C. Otherwise I root for STL to win the NLCS.

Written By: nally on 10/08/14 at 10:37 am

Nationals' season is also over. So the NLCS will consist of Giants vs. Cardinals... just like in 2012, 2002, and 1987.

Written By: nally on 10/10/14 at 8:24 pm

ALCS is starting tonight, between the Kansas City Royals and Baltimore Orioles; neither team has seen the LCS since last century!

And right now the Royals are up 4-1 in the 3rd inning.

Edit: KC left-fielder Alex Gordon has made a spectacular catch to end the inning!

Written By: nally on 10/10/14 at 9:00 pm

5-1 KC in the 5th inning.

Written By: nally on 10/10/14 at 9:14 pm

5-1 KC in the 5th inning.

Make that 5-2, with a chance for more...

Written By: nally on 10/11/14 at 11:12 am

Final score was: Royals 8, Orioles 6, in 10 innings.

The Royals have become the first team to win four extra-inning games in one postseason!

Written By: nally on 10/12/14 at 12:08 am

Giants take Game One of NLCS, while Royals take Game Two of ALCS to go up two games to none.

I sure hope the Cardinals can win Game Two tomorrow, cuz I do not want the Giants to go to yet another World Series. (If they do, I root for whichever AL team gets there... which I plan to do anyway, since the Dudgers got beat in the DS.)

Written By: nally on 10/13/14 at 7:38 pm

Cardinals evened up the NLCS last night, although it took a walk-off home run by an unlikely hero to do it. This came after Trevor Rosenthal failed to protect a one-run lead in the top of the 9th.

Game Three of the ALCS is called on account of inclement weather in Kansas City. It'll likely be made up tomorrow.

Written By: nally on 10/14/14 at 10:41 pm

NLCS: Giants go up 2 games to 1 on the Cardinals thanks to a throwing error by the STL relief pitcher Randy Choate in the 10th inning.

ALCS: Royals go up 3 games to none on the Orioles.

I'm hoping for a 1985 WS rematch. (This would mean that the Cardinals would have to win 2 in SF, carry the NL series back to STL, and win again.)

Written By: nally on 10/15/14 at 7:06 pm

Kansas City Royals have just completed a sweep of the Baltimore Orioles, 4 games to none, in the ALCS. Six days from now they will start the World Series at their home ballpark, either against the Giants or Cardinals.

Written By: nally on 10/15/14 at 11:03 pm

Giants now on the verge of winning the NLCS. They came from behind to win Game Four over the Cardinals. :P

Written By: nally on 10/16/14 at 11:00 pm

NLCS over. Giants to meet Royals in WS. Cardinals can't seem to maintain an early lead. >:(

This will be the second ever World Series matchup of wildcard winners, and the first one in twelve years. Coincidentally, the Giants represented the NL in that series (losing in seven games to the L.A. Angels).

Go Royals!!

Written By: nally on 10/21/14 at 11:08 pm

Game One of World Series is in the books... and the Giants dominated, thanks in part to pitching. 7 to 1 was the final.

Not a good start to the Series unless you're a Giant fan (which I'm not)... http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/08/rolleyes.gif

Written By: nally on 10/22/14 at 11:14 pm

Royals even up the World Series with a 7-2 win! :)

The game started with a home run from Giants' centerfielder Gregor Blanco. But the Royals recovered, made some great plays, and broke a 2-2 tie in the 6th inning by scoring 5 runs. So now it's off to San Fran for three games.

Written By: nally on 10/25/14 at 12:44 am

Royals take 2-games-to-1 series lead!

The Giants' starting pitcher, Tim Hudson, made his first-ever World Series start, giving up a run in the first inning... and ended up being the losing pitcher. 3-2 was the final. Jeremy Guthrie was great for KC, despite not striking out anybody. He gave up two runs in the sixth, and the bullpen shut down the Gints' offense the rest of the way.

Written By: nally on 10/26/14 at 11:32 pm

Giants appear to be taking control of the World Series now...

I can now hope that the Series goes seven games, with KC winning both 6 and 7 on their home turf.

Written By: nally on 10/28/14 at 11:26 pm

Royals win Game Six by a score of 10-0!!

Rookie KC starter, Yordano Ventura, 23, threw 100 pitches over 7 innings. Before the game, he took a moment to honor his close friend, 22-year-old St. Louis Cardinals rookie prospect Oscar Taveras, who was tragically killed in an automobile accident on Sunday morning in his native Dominican Republic. :\'(

The bulk of the Royals' scoring came in the 2nd inning, when they chased Giants starter Jake Peavy and piled on 7 runs.

So there will be a deciding Game Seven tomorrow night! Go Royals!!!

Written By: nally on 10/29/14 at 10:28 pm

Well, for the first time in 35 years, the road team has won Game Seven of the World Series.

And I was so hoping that the Royals would outsmart Bumgarner! Or should I say...BUMMERgarner. >:(

And KC wasted a two-out triple in the 9th. ALL THEY NEEDED WAS A FRIGIN HIT to score the tying run!

Written By: nally on 11/05/14 at 2:24 pm

MLB Gold Glove award winners were announced yesterday. Two of the winners were members of the L.A. Dodgers: first baseman Adrian Gonzalez and pitcher Zack Greinke!

Written By: nally on 11/07/14 at 8:07 am

Silver Slugger award winners were announced yesterday. The first-base winner in the National League was Adrian Gonzalez of the L.A. Dodgers.

Written By: nally on 11/11/14 at 10:33 pm

Rookie Of The Year:
American League - Jose Abreu, Chicago White Sox
National League - Jacob deGrom, New York Mets

Written By: nally on 11/11/14 at 10:33 pm

Manger Of The Year:
National League - Matt Williams (Washington Nationals)
American League - Buck Showalter (Baltimore Orioles)

Written By: nally on 11/12/14 at 10:49 pm

Clayton Kershaw has won the NL Cy Young Award for the second straight year...and the third time in four years. It was a unanimous vote.

The AL Cy Young Award went to Cory Kluber of the Cleveland Indians. The overall voting in that department was rather close, though.

Written By: nally on 11/13/14 at 9:55 pm

AL MVP: Mike Trout, hands down.

NL MVP: Clayton Kershaw. This is the first time that a pitcher has won the league MVP and Cy Young in the same season since 2011, when Justin Verlander of the Detroit Tigers won the respective awards in the AL.

Written By: loki 13 on 11/14/14 at 5:55 pm

NL MVP: Clayton Kershaw. This is the first time that a pitcher has won the league MVP and Cy Young in the same season since 2011, when Justin Verlander of the Detroit Tigers won the respective awards in the AL.

I don't agree with Kershaw getting the MVP for a few reasons. It has nothing to do with Clayton Kershaw the person
but Clayton Kershaw the pitcher. Pitchers should be ineligible for the MVP award. They have their own award, no 3rd
baseman ever won the Cy Young. Pitchers get what, 30 to 35 starts a year? Even at that, they rarely complete the
game. No, the MVP should be given to a position player.

Written By: nally on 11/14/14 at 6:12 pm

I don't agree with Kershaw getting the MVP for a few reasons. It has nothing to do with Clayton Kershaw the person
but Clayton Kershaw the pitcher. Pitchers should be ineligible for the MVP award. They have their own award, no 3rd
baseman ever won the Cy Young. Pitchers get what, 30 to 35 starts a year? Even at that, they rarely complete the
game. No, the MVP should be given to a position player.

Many people have thought that, too, with their various arguments in favor of and against pitchers being eligible for the MVP.

Written By: loki 13 on 12/10/14 at 6:38 pm

Seems that the Jimmy Rollins era in Philadelphia is over. Early reports have Rollins traded to the Dodgers
for a couple of minor league players.

Bastardo was also traded, he went to the Pirates for a couple of minor league players.

The Phillies are in rebuilding mode, two years too late.

Written By: nally on 12/11/14 at 10:46 pm

Seems that the Jimmy Rollins era in Philadelphia is over. Early reports have Rollins traded to the Dodgers
for a couple of minor league players.

Yeah I heard about that. The Dodgers, on the other hand, parted ways with Dee Gordon (which I was unhappy about, as were many of Facebook fans) and pitcher Dan Haren, trading them to Miami.

And today they reportedly got rid of Matt Kemp. One more homegrown player gone. >:(

Check for new replies or respond here...