inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2015 Major League Baseball season

Written By: nally on 04/05/15 at 2:59 pm

It begins tonight, with the St. Louis Cardinals taking on the Chicago Cubs.

Who will be the team to beat this year?

Subject: Re: 2015 Major League Baseball season

Written By: loki 13 on 04/05/15 at 6:19 pm

Who will be the team to beat this year?

Depends on who you listen to. A lot of so called experts say Washington is the team to beat. At least they are
the odds on favorite for the NL title along with the best possibility to win a 100 games or more. Man, I hope not.
Your Dodgers are a close second but like they say, you have to play the games. I hadn't really had a chance to
look at the American league yet so I am in a fog on that side of the coin...for now.

Written By: nally on 04/06/15 at 12:31 am

^ Fair enough.

True, many people are saying that the Nationals and the Dodgers are among the teams projected to do really well this year in the NL.

As for the AL, some people are predicting the Seattle Mariners to make their first postseason appearance since 2001.

Written By: loki 13 on 04/06/15 at 6:24 pm

According to Vegas odds, at least the odds I have seen, the Angels are third behind the Nats and Dodgers
at winning the World Series at 12 to 1. The usual suspects are up there as well, the Red Sox and Mariners
along with the Cardinals and Giants. The two team that I think can do some damage this year though is the
Cubs and the Tigers but like I said, they have to play the games. Any team is an injury away from disaster.

Written By: nally on 04/07/15 at 1:45 pm

^ So true. In fact, it was announced yesterday that Matt Cain of the Giants has been bothered by forearm tightness again. Last year, in September, he went on the DL to undergo surgery on his right ankle, and had to miss the postseason while his team went all the way.

In other news, several shutouts occurred on Opening Day. This included a no-hit bid that was broken up at the start of the 8th inning in Oakland, as A's pitcher Sonny Gray (who didn't allow a hit through seven innings) gave up a single to Texas Rangers infielder Ryan Rua (who was subsequently erased on an unassisted double play). Nonetheless, the Athletics won 8-zip.

Also, the L.A. Dodgers make it five opening-day wins in a row, with newcomer Jimmy Rollins hitting a tiebreaking three-run homer in the 8th to defeat the San Diego Padres 6-3. Matt Kemp greeted his former team by knocking in all three Padre runs. (He still received cheers from the crowd, despite being on a new team.)

Written By: nally on 04/09/15 at 12:23 am

Adrian Gonzalez has become the second player in Los Angeles Dodgers history (that is, since the team moved west in 1958,) to hit three home runs in the first three games in a season. Not only that, he hit three of them in tonight's game, giving him 5 on the year! :o :D

Written By: loki 13 on 04/11/15 at 3:14 pm

Also, the L.A. Dodgers make it five opening-day wins in a row, with newcomer Jimmy Rollins hitting a tiebreaking three-run homer in the 8th to defeat the San Diego Padres 6-3.

Go ahead rub it in......... >:( >:(  ;D ;D ;D

I doesn't matter but that was big news here too for some reason. My opinion is, they traded Rollins 5 years too late.
If the Phillies had traded Rollins, Utley, Howard and Hamels in the 2010 season they wouldn't be in the predicament
they are in now. They are years away from being competitive and last night they beat the Nationals in front of a
record setting low attendance.

Written By: loki 13 on 04/11/15 at 4:46 pm

I had just seen something that I wanted Ryan Howard to do since he was brought up.

The Mariners' Seager was at the plate when the A's employed the shift. opposing teams use the shift on
Howard all the time, even with runners on. Anyway, Seager bunted the ball toward third. there was no
way any one could make a play so it was an easy bunt single. If Howard could learn to bunt once in awhile
or learn to hit the other way teams would be reluctant to use the shift.

Written By: nally on 04/12/15 at 10:07 pm

Today's Astros-Rangers game went 14 innings before Houston prevailed, 6-4. However, in the bottom of the 10th, the bases were loaded, and Leonys Martin of the Rangers hit a high fly ball sure to be a grand slam, but George Springer of the Astros caught it as it was about to go over the right field wall, thereby robbing him of a grand slam and an 8-4 Rangers victory.

Written By: loki 13 on 04/13/15 at 7:24 pm

I have been watching a few games on ESPN and I hate that strike box. To me it is distracting. I know what a
strike is, as do the majority of fans. We don't need that obnoxious box to highlight the strike zone. It is almost
as bad as when they highlighted the puck in hockey games. I hope they don't go the entire season with it.

Written By: nally on 04/14/15 at 4:45 pm

^ Yes... I find it to be distracting as well. However, sometimes there are borderline pitches, and some such pitches have been disputed when called by the ump. Still, the TV can still show a slow-mo replay, with the strike box in place, to see whether the pitch actually was a strike or not. But when the action is live, they don't need to show it at all.

Written By: nally on 04/16/15 at 2:06 pm

With regards to MLB on ESPN this year... last night the Mariners-Dodgers game was on ESPN2, and I kept seeing the outline of the strike zone each time a batter was up. It kinda looked like a "clearer" section of the picture (sorta like on the Claritin ads). It actually didn't bother me too much. I'm glad that the game was NOT blacked out in California, and it was great to see LAD pick up a win to complete a three-game sweep of the M's (something they accomplished only one other time: 1999, also at Dodger Stadium, right before the All Star Break).

Written By: nally on 04/18/15 at 5:05 pm

A-Roids: 658 career home runs, entering today. Two away from tying Willie Mays for 4th place on the all time list.

Mike Trout: hit his 100th career home run last night, in Houston. He became the youngest player, at 23 years and 253 days old, to accomplish the feat, breaking the mark set by A-Rod in 1999.

Kershaw: finally in the win column for this year. He gave up three runs in six innings, but struck out twelve Rockies batters.

Written By: loki 13 on 04/18/15 at 7:34 pm

This is from the "I thought I have seen it all," file. With Freddie Galvis at the plate and Odubel Herrera on first;
Herrera broke for second, the Nats catcher was looking for a sinker from Blake Treinen but Treinen apparently
threw high heat. Lobaton couldn't catch the fastball and it hit the umpire square on the mask. It hit with such
force the ump needed to leave the game, this was in the top half of the 9th. The pitch knocked the ump down
on the seat of his pants. It is just something you don't expect to see at the major league level.

With regards to MLB on ESPN this year... last night the Mariners-Dodgers game was on ESPN2, and I kept seeing the outline of the strike zone each time a batter was up. It kinda looked like a "clearer" section of the picture (sorta like on the Claritin ads). It actually didn't bother me too much. I'm glad that the game was NOT blacked out in California, and it was great to see LAD pick up a win to complete a three-game sweep of the M's (something they accomplished only one other time: 1999, also at Dodger Stadium, right before the All Star Break).

Clearer picture or not, I still find it distracting. I find myself focusing more on the clear rectangle than the action of the game.

Written By: nally on 04/20/15 at 1:21 am

Dodgers have completed a perfect 6-0 homestand with a 7-nothing victory over the Rockies. By beating them last night, they took over sole possession of 1st place in the NL West division. Now they head to San Francisco to take on the cellar-dweller Giants for a three-game set starting on Tuesday. :)

Elsewhere, there was drama in Kansas City, with five members of the team personnel (3 coaches (including manager Ned Yost) and 2 players) being ejected. :P

Written By: nally on 04/21/15 at 4:09 pm

Entering today, the only team that has not yet won a home game is the Angels (0-4 at Angel Stadium), and the only team that has not yet lost a home game is the Mets (7-0 at Citi Field).

Written By: nally on 04/25/15 at 12:19 pm

Glad to see the Dodgers win in SD last nite, after getting swept in SF (which many Facebook fans were angry about). Zack Greinke continues his dominance of NL West opponents.

Written By: loki 13 on 04/27/15 at 5:39 pm

They say you can't win a pennant in April. That much is true but you sure can lose a pennant in April and
the Nationals seem to be be doing a good job a trying to just that. Sitting at 7-12 and 7 games behind the
the Mets They may be digging too deep a hole of which to get out.

It also remains to be seen how big an impact the injury to Wainwright will have on the Cards chances.

Written By: nally on 04/28/15 at 12:13 pm

They say you can't win a pennant in April. That much is true but you sure can lose a pennant in April and
the Nationals seem to be be doing a good job a trying to just that. Sitting at 7-12 and 7 games behind the
the Mets They may be digging too deep a hole of which to get out.

Sure seems that way. Of course, the Mets are off to a good start this year. But still, anything can happen at this point in the season.

It also remains to be seen how big an impact the injury to wainwright will have on the Cards chances.

Speaking of injuries to pitchers, the Dodgers' rotation is in a bind right now, with Brandon McCarthy (whom they signed to a 4-year contract this past offseason) also done for the year; he is anticipating having Tommy John Surgery, which means he wouldn't be able to return until at least the middle of next year (if at all in 2016). So they're gonna have to scrounge for starting pitchers. Hun-Jin Ryu, who started the season on the DL, is still out with an injury, and not anticipated to come back until at least the first of June. They could use veteran Scott Baker, who made a spot start this past Sunday.

Written By: nally on 04/28/15 at 10:46 pm

White Sox and Orioles postpone two games of their series, due to the rioting in Baltimore stemming from the aftermath of the April 19, 2015 death of Freddie Gray. :\'( Tomorrow's game will be played, but with no people in attendance, and the Orioles' weekend series with the Tampa Rays will be played in Tampa, with the O's to play as the home team. The postponed games of yesterday and today will be made up on the 28th of May, as a doubleheader.

Written By: nally on 04/29/15 at 5:15 pm

White Sox and Orioles postpone two games of their series, due to the rioting in Baltimore stemming from the aftermath of the April 19, 2015 death of Freddie Gray. :\'( Tomorrow's game will be played, but with no people in attendance, and the Orioles' weekend series with the Tampa Rays will be played in Tampa, with the O's to play as the home team. The postponed games of yesterday and today will be made up on the 28th of May, as a doubleheader.

Results of today's fanless game: Orioles 8, White Sox 2.

Written By: loki 13 on 04/29/15 at 6:17 pm

Results of today's fanless game: Orioles 8, White Sox 2.

I think this whole thing is wrong on so many levels. First, I hope those dopes are proud of themselves for
what they have accomplished and sadly, this has nothing to do with Freddie Gray and everything to do
with just being an excuse and availability for anarchy to reign. Thugs can be thugs without repercussion.

Second: the most important part of any professional franchise is the fan base. No fans, no money. No money,
no team. To lock fans out of a game is ludicrous. If they needed to be postponed for safety than so be it. Replay
the games at a later date but make the games....all the games available to the fans.

If they absolutely needed to play the games; Philadelphia's Citizens Bank Park is empty, the Phillies are in St. Louis.
Washington's stadium is also empty, the Nats are in Atlanta. Both stadiums are not that far from Baltimore so it may
have been a solution.

And third: How is it going to work with fans who had tickets for a game that was played yet they couldn't attend?

Finally: Does Baltimore now hold the record for the lowest attendance at a regular season game?

Written By: nally on 05/02/15 at 11:54 am

A-Rod: now tied for 4th place on the all-time MLB home run list with Willie Mays (660).

Written By: nally on 05/03/15 at 10:30 am

Yesterday, three games involved a baserunner being hit by a batted ball...two of which ended that way.

In the game between the Reds and Braves in Atlanta, a runner was called out while going from second to third when the ball hit him.
In the game between the Angels and Giants in San Francisco, a baserunner for the Angels was hit by a batted ball, which ended the game; Angels were trailing 5-4 in the 9th inning; had the ball not hit him, they might've tied it up or possibly taken the lead.
And in L.A., the Dbacks-Dodgers game ended when Arizona baserunner Jordan Pacheco being hit by a ball that went up the middle for a base hit (this was in the 9th inning); LAD thereby won 6-4.

Written By: nally on 05/07/15 at 11:25 pm

A-Rod has passed Willie Mays for 4th all-time in career home runs. He hit his 661st today, which helped NYY to a 4-3 win over the Baltimorioles.

Elsewhere, the Dodgers jumped all over the Milwaukee Brewers in Miller Park for a 14-4 win. Yasmany Grandal hit two three-run homers.

Written By: nally on 05/17/15 at 11:04 pm

Cardinals have the best record at 25-12.

Best record in the AL: Houston Astros, at 25-13.

Written By: nally on 05/26/15 at 7:14 pm

I sure hope Curtain Clayshaw can win again tonight. He's had some hard luck so far this year...including a lack of run support in his last outing in SF. :-\\

Written By: nally on 05/27/15 at 12:13 pm

I sure hope Curtain Clayshaw can win again tonight. He's had some hard luck so far this year...including a lack of run support in his last outing in SF. :-\\

And he got some much needed run support in last night's game, as he pitched seven strong innings, allowing no runs, striking out 10 Atlanta batters, and not walking anybody... en route to an 8-0 shutout. O0

Written By: nally on 05/31/15 at 12:28 pm

Yesterday, Dodgers scored in a road game, for the first time since Mother's Day, to defeat the St. Louis Cardinals 5-1. In addition, this was Cardinals starting pitcher Mike Wacha's first loss this season, and his first regular-season loss since last September.

Written By: nally on 06/02/15 at 11:46 am

Kershaw wins two in a row for the first time this year. Yesterday LAD beat the Rockies in Denver by a score of 11-4.

Written By: nally on 06/03/15 at 11:53 am

Dodgers split a doubleheader with the Rockies yesterday; they were on the verge of losing both games, but Alex Guerrero of LAD hit a grand slam with two outs! It was the first time in Dodgers history that the team hit a come-from behind homer when it was down to its last strike (Guerrero had a 1-2 count).

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 06/03/15 at 3:51 pm

GO CARDS GO!!!!!! :D :D

Written By: nally on 06/07/15 at 7:47 am

GO CARDS GO!!!!!! :D :D

Well they do have the best record in MLB right now.

And this weekend they are playing my team, the Dodgers, who've struggled against 'em as of late. However, I was glad to see Kershaw pick up a win against 'em last nite; he has been known to struggle against STL, most notably in the 2013 NLCS and the 2014 NLDS. Last night he shut 'em down over 8 innings, and his team gave him two runs of support in the 7th.

Written By: nally on 06/10/15 at 11:32 am

Some notable things happened in MLB yesterday:

Chris Heston, rookie pitcher for the San Francisco Giants, pitched a no-hitter against the New York Mets (in NY). This marks the fourth straight year that the Giants have thrown a no-hitter (Matt Cain pitched a perfect game in 2012, Tim Lincecum tossed a no-no in 2013 and again in 2014), and the first time in 50 years that one team has pitched no-hitters in four straight years. (The last team to accomplish this feat was the L.A. Dodgers from 1962-65; Sandy Koufax threw a no-no in all four of those years, ending with his perfect game against CHC.)

Kansas City Royals pitcher Christopher Young was also on his way to a no-no, but the no-hit bid was averted in the 7th inning. Still, he settled for a one-hit shutout against the Minnesota Twins.

Albert Pujols of the L.A. Angels hit his 536th career home run to tie Mickey Mantle for 16th place on the all-time list.

Written By: nally on 06/12/15 at 12:23 pm

Pujols is now in sole possession of 16th place in career home runs, as he hit #537 last night in Tampa Bay to overtake Mantle.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 06/12/15 at 3:04 pm

Well they do have the best record in MLB right now.

And this weekend they are playing my team, the Dodgers, who've struggled against 'em as of late. However, I was glad to see Kershaw pick up a win against 'em last nite; he has been known to struggle against STL, most notably in the 2013 NLCS and the 2014 NLDS. Last night he shut 'em down over 8 innings, and his team gave him two runs of support in the 7th.

I respect your dodgers more than the giants!! Probably because they've beaten my cardinals EVERY TIME they've met in the NLCS!

Written By: nally on 06/12/15 at 3:22 pm

I respect your dodgers more than the giants!! Probably because they've beaten my cardinals EVERY TIME they've met in the NLCS!

Oh yes, particularly in 2014 and in 2012 (also in '02, but they went on to lose that WS to the Angels). And of course, the Giants and Dodgers have a long-running rivalry.

Written By: loki 13 on 06/15/15 at 9:14 pm

The Phillies are 20 games under .500 and they are not an easy team to watch right now but they play in the East.
The East has been a weak division for past few years and the Phils are only 12 back in the loss column. I think 90
wins takes the East, that's the good news. The bad news, the Phillies will have to play .700 ball from here out to
get to 90 wins. So the East will remain a two team race between the Mets and the Nats.

Written By: nally on 06/15/15 at 11:07 pm

The Padres have fired their manager, Bud Black, with hitting coach Dave Roberts to assume the managerial duties until a replacement can be found. (I remember when Roberts was a player, not too long ago! He played for my team, LAD, in the early 00s.)

Written By: nally on 06/19/15 at 4:24 pm

Dodgers averted a four-game sweep by the Texas Rangers last night on a "balk-off", winning 1-zip.

Written By: nally on 06/21/15 at 11:38 pm

Yesterday (Saturday), Max Scherzer of the Washington Nationals threw a no-hitter against the Pittsburgh Pirates. It was almost a perfect game...but with two outs in the 9th, he hit a batter, thereby losing the perfecto but keeping the no-hitter intact. However, he retired the next batter to end it.

Written By: nally on 06/21/15 at 11:39 pm

Dodgers pile 10 runs against the Giants to (barely) hang on to their division lead and avert a sweep by their division rivals. Yasmany Grandal hit two of L.A.'s four home runs to lead the way.

Written By: nally on 06/25/15 at 5:18 pm

Jon Lester is not doing quite so well with the Chicago Cubs. The Dodgers got to him today, winning 4 to nothing, and completing a split of the four-game series in Chicago.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 06/25/15 at 6:22 pm

Alright Cards, keep on keep on winning!!! Ignore this scandal and let's GO!!!! :D

Written By: nally on 06/27/15 at 6:45 pm

Yesterday, the Phillies' manager Ryne Sandberg stepped down (i.e., resigned; was not fired) after accumulating fewer wins than losses since taking over from Charlie Manuel in 2013. He was replaced by third base coach Peter Mackanin, who is assuming double duties until another third base coach can be found OR a different full-time manager can be found (right now, Mackanin's title is "interim manager").

Written By: loki 13 on 06/27/15 at 7:51 pm

Yesterday, the Phillies' manager Ryne Sandberg stepped down (i.e., resigned; was not fired) after accumulating more wins than losses since taking over from Charlie Manuel in 2013. He was replaced by third base coach Peter Mackanin, who is assuming double duties until another third base coach can be found OR a different full-time manager can be found (right now, Mackanin's title is "interim manager").

I feel bad for Ryne. If you asked me, the wrong guy stepped down. He was handed a bunch of has been's and never-will-be's
and expected to win games. This team is a joke, I have been a die hard Phillies fan since Johnny Callison played for the team.
I sat through some sorry seasons but I must say, this squad is almost unwatchable. Ruben Amaro ruined this team.

Written By: nally on 06/27/15 at 9:21 pm

I feel bad for Ryne. If you asked me, the wrong guy stepped down. He was handed a bunch of has been's and never-will-be's
and expected to win games. This team is a joke, I have been a die hard Phillies fan since Johnny Callison played for the team.
I sat through some sorry seasons but I must say, this squad is almost unwatchable. Ruben Amaro ruined this team.

I kinda feel similarly about what the Dodgers' owners (in recent years) have done to their team. They can't seem to score many runs when the pitching is good (case in point: today Kershaw pitched fairly well, but gave up only one earned run and ended up losing because his hitters didn't give him much run support), or one of their pitchers (NOT the Kershaws or Greinkes) pitches lousy and the team doesn't score at all. Some people even blame Mattingly for his decisions that end up costing the team games.

Written By: nally on 06/30/15 at 11:09 am

A.L. East has all but one team within reach of the division lead. Orioles, Rays, Yankees, and Blue Jays are all within one game. Redsox are the only team in that division with a losing record right now.

Written By: nally on 07/02/15 at 11:25 am

Jerry Dipoto resigned as Angels GM yesterday before the Angels took the field against the Evil Empire Yankees, who averted a sweep. ::)

Written By: nally on 07/05/15 at 8:24 pm

ALL-STAR voting results:

American League:
Catcher - Salvador Perez (KC Royals)
1st base - Miguel Cabrera (Detroit Tigers)*
2nd base - Jose Altuve (Houston Astros)
Shortstop - Alcides Escobar (KC Royals)
3rd base - Josh Donaldson (Toronto Blue Jays)
Left field - Mike Trout (L.A. Angels)
Center field - Lorenzo Cain (KC Royals)
Right field - Alex Gordon (KC Royals)
DH - Nelson Cruz (Seattle Mariners)

National League:
Catcher - Buster Posey (SF Giants)
1st base - Paul Goldschmidt (Arizona D'backs)
2nd base - Dee Gordon (Miami Marlins)
Shortstop - Jhonny Peralta (St. Louis Cardinals)
3rd base - Todd Frazier (Cincinnati Reds)
Left field - Bryce Harper (Washington Nationals)
Center field - Giancarlo Stanton (Miami Marlins)*
Right field - Matt Holliday (St. Louis Cardinals)*
DH - to be determined (note: since 2010 this has been a permanent fixture, regardless of which league hosts the ASG)

* denotes a player who is currently on the DL and might still be there come July 14th; someone will need to take these guys' places

Written By: nally on 07/06/15 at 11:19 pm

* denotes a player who is currently on the DL and might still be there come July 14th; someone will need to take these guys' places

Andrew McCutchen of the Pittsburgh Pirates will supposedly replace Stanton on the NL roster, and Albert Pujols of the Angels will take Miggy's place at first base on the AL roster.

Written By: nally on 07/07/15 at 11:03 am

Jimmy Rollins went 2-for-4 against his former team last nite; this included providing a game-winning hit in the 7th inning as the Dodgers beat the Phillies 10-7 in a game that lasted 4+ hours.

Giants lose their 7th game in a row as the Mets beat 'em, 3-0; for the Mets, they blank the opposition for the second straight game, after being goose-egged twice by the Cubs last week.

Written By: nally on 07/10/15 at 12:06 pm

Zack Greinke is now up to 35 2/3 consecutive scoreless innings pitched; last night he pitched 8 scoreless innings en route to a 6-0 victory over the Phillies...who now go north to San Francisco to play the Giants, who now have a break-even record.

Written By: nally on 07/13/15 at 10:56 pm

Congratulations to Todd Frazier of the Cincinnati Reds for winning the 2015 Home Run Derby... in front of his home crowd at Great American Ballpark in Cincinnati!

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 07/14/15 at 8:45 pm

MLB All Star Game is currently tied 1-1!!! :o

Written By: nally on 07/15/15 at 11:58 am

MLB All Star Game is currently tied 1-1!!! :o

Yes...I was watching the first four innings of it, then I had to go out for the evening. But I later found out the final score: AL 6, NL 3.

Man, that National League can't seem to do well in the ASG lately. :-\\ Sure, they won it for three straight years from 2010 through 2012 (as well as another three-win streak in the 1990s), but they haven't been able to string together three straight wins for the longest time! But I do have to give the AL players credit for their clutch hitting. Mike Trout, who opened the game with a solo homer off LAD pitcher Zack Greinke, was named MVP of the game.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/17/15 at 7:49 am

Yes...I was watching the first four innings of it, then I had to go out for the evening. But I later found out the final score: AL 6, NL 3.

Man, that National League can't seem to do well in the ASG lately. :-\\ Sure, they won it for three straight years from 2010 through 2012 (as well as another three-win streak in the 1990s), but they haven't been able to string together three straight wins for the longest time! But I do have to give the AL players credit for their clutch hitting. Mike Trout, who opened the game with a solo homer off LAD pitcher Zack Greinke, was named MVP of the game.

I think they need better managing in the National League in case they suck again in next year's All Star game.

Written By: nally on 07/17/15 at 12:05 pm

I think they need better managing in the National League in case they suck again in next year's All Star game.

I have been saying the same about my team in general, the Dodgers; many fans even agree that Mattingly should be replaced by someone better.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/17/15 at 1:11 pm

I have been saying the same about my team in general, the Dodgers; many fans even agree that Mattingly should be replaced by someone better.

Agreed. Some of the players should also get more training for next year's game.

Written By: nally on 07/17/15 at 10:52 pm

Agreed. Some of the players should also get more training for next year's game.

If that's what it takes, then I'm sure they can find ways to do so.

Written By: nally on 07/19/15 at 7:48 pm

Dodgers pitchers Clayton Kershaw and Zack Greinke held the Washington Nationals batters scoreless this weekend. Not only that, but they achieved plenty of strikeouts in the process...and they didn't walk anybody. Kershaw went 8 innings yesterday (Saturday) en route to a 4-2 win (Kenley Jansen gave up a 2-run homer to Bryce Harper in the 9th) and Greinke went 8 today (Sunday) en route to a 5-nothing win. Should also be duly noted that Greinke has not allowed any runs over his last 43 2/3 innings on the mound.

Written By: nally on 07/21/15 at 11:23 am

Yesterday the Angels played a doubleheader; this is because their Sunday game against the Boston Redsox was rained out. This was the first time in 20 years that a game was rained out at Angel Stadium! In the opener, Albert Pujols tied Mike Schmidt for 15th place on the all-time list by hitting his 548th career home run. In the nightcap, Pujols hit his 549th to pull ahead of Schmidt. The Angels won both games, thereby completing a four-game sweep of the Red Sox.

Written By: nally on 07/24/15 at 12:52 pm

Clayton Kershaw pitched his 11th career complete-game shutout, 3-0 at Citi Field against the New York Mets. He was perfect through six innings, but Curtis Granderson opened up the seventh inning with a single. Still, Kersh struck out 11 batters and didn't walk anybody. He has now pitched 29 consecutive scoreless innings, trailing his teammate Zack Greinke by 14 2/3 innings in that streak. Greinke, who was originally slated to start tonight, has gone on the paternity leave list because his wife is due to give birth any moment.

Written By: nally on 07/24/15 at 4:32 pm

Also, two notable trades occurred yesterday... Aramis Ramirez has been traded to the Pittsburgh Pirates, the team he began his career with (before being traded to CHC in 2003), and Scott Kazmir has been traded from the Oakland Athletics to the Houston Astros. Kazmir himself is a native of the Houston area, so he's going to be in "familiar territory."

Written By: nally on 07/25/15 at 7:17 pm

Congratulations to Phillies pitcher Cole Hamels, who threw a no-hitter against the Cubs in Chicago. (This may be the final start he makes in a Philadelphia uniform, as he has been a trade target this year.) This was the first no-hitter in Phillies history since Labor Day last year, when a number of Phillie pitchers combined to no-hit the Atlanta Braves.

Written By: loki 13 on 07/25/15 at 10:15 pm

Congratulations to Phillies pitcher Cole Hamels, who threw a no-hitter against the Cubs in Chicago. (This may be the final start he makes in a Philadelphia uniform, as he has been a trade target this year.) This was the first no-hitter in Phillies history since Labor Day last year, when a number of Phillie pitchers combined to no-hit the Atlanta Braves.

I haven't watched many games this year because the Phillies have been woeful. Today's game is one of the rare times that
I had nothing to do and with the Phillies playing better since the All Star break (7-1) I figured what the hell. I am glad I chose
to sit a watch the game. The whole time I was thinking, Hamels is going to no hit the team he may very well be playing for
come next week.

Useless stat: Since 2010, no team has more no hitters than the Phillies.

Written By: nally on 07/26/15 at 3:35 pm

I haven't watched many games this year because the Phillies have been woeful. Today's game is one of the rare times that
I had nothing to do and with the Phillies playing better since the All Star break (7-1) I figured what the hell. I am glad I chose
to sit a watch the game. The whole time I was thinking, Hamels is going to no hit the team he may very well be playing for
come next week.

Yeah, they have been improving (somewhat) since the ASB, despite still having the worst record in all of MLB right now. We'll see what happens with them as the season progresses. (In fact, I think my team is scheduled to face 'em in Philly next week.)

Useless stat: Since 2010, no team has more no hitters than the Phillies.

Yep...this includes two by Roy Halladay that very year. The first was a perfect game on May 29th against Miami, and then in October he opened up the NLDS against the Reds by tossing a no-no (the second ever in postseason history).

Written By: nally on 07/26/15 at 3:36 pm

Anyway... it has been reported today that the Kansas City Royals have acquired Cincinnati Reds' ace Johnny Cueto in a trade.

Written By: nally on 07/30/15 at 10:39 pm

And it looks like this was Hamels' final start with the Phills, as he has been sent to the Texas Rangers, who have been in hot pursuit of him.

Written By: nally on 07/31/15 at 12:32 pm

Cardinals, the team currently with the best record, gets Jonathan Broxton. What is up with that? Broxton hasn't really been all that great...unless his overall performance has improved since he left the dodgers in 2011.

Written By: loki 13 on 08/01/15 at 8:27 am

And it looks like this was Hamels' final start with the Phills, as he has been sent to the Texas Rangers, who have been in hot pursuit of him.

I am not happy with this or any of the trades the Phillies made in the past week. Though I am not upset to see Papelbon gone,
what the Phillies have gotten in return is ridiculous. Hamels, Papelbon and Revere are gone. All three played at the big league
level. Not one person they received in trades can play for the big club. The one that is able is hurt, 15 day disabled list, all the
others are big question marks. Talent in professional sports is waning, so if you are giving away value you should receive just
a little value in return. At least one or two guys who can play at the top level. Paydays keep getting bigger but talent keeps
getting worse so I doubt any of these guys will be any kind of factor for the Phillies at all.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/01/15 at 9:30 am

Cardinals, the team currently with the best record, gets Jonathan Broxton. What is up with that? Broxton hasn't really been all that great...unless his overall performance has improved since he left the dodgers in 2011.

So? They can still be good. After all, they're still in 1st place of their division and they probably have a high chance of winning the World Series this year.

Written By: nally on 08/01/15 at 11:50 am

So? They can still be good. After all, they're still in 1st place of their division and they probably have a high chance of winning the World Series this year.

And they still have the best record. :) It's just that Broxton seems a little questionable to me, given what I've observed about him since he had been with LAD. He could still be a setup man, or even a middle-inning reliever.

On the American League side, the Royals have been picked as the frontrunner for the pennant. So we could see a 1985 rematch! (Which I was hoping for last year, after STL beat my team and ended up facing the Giants in the NLCS.)

Written By: nally on 08/01/15 at 11:07 pm

Well... Cole Hamels' Texas debut resulted in him getting a no-decision. This is because he left the game with a lead in the 8th inning, but the bullpen couldn't hold it up. The game ended up going into extra innings with the Giants winning. 8-P

But this keeps the Dodgers' lead over the Giants in the NL West at 1 1/2 games, thanks to Kershaw going 8 strong innings without allowing a run to the Angels. Of course Kenley Jansen had to give up a run in the 9th, but at least Kershaw got the win, as LAD won 3-1.

Written By: nally on 08/07/15 at 5:25 pm

Zack Greinke gave up five runs in the first inning of yesterday's game against the Phillies, but his team gave him some much-needed run support. Greinke himself even hit a home run to help his own cause. Final score: LAD 10, PHI 8.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/07/15 at 5:29 pm

The Mets are at first place in their division!  :)

Written By: nally on 08/07/15 at 5:30 pm

Yes, they have been playing very well this year! They swept the Washington Nationals last week to overtake them for the division lead.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/07/15 at 5:30 pm

Yes, they have been playing very well this year! They swept the Washington Nationals last week to overtake them for the division lead.

And they won six games in a row. It seems to me that they're going for another winning streak.

Written By: nally on 08/07/15 at 10:18 pm

And they won six games in a row. It seems to me that they're going for another winning streak.

It definitely seems that way, yes. In fact, tonight they came from behind to defeat the Tampa Rays.

Too bad the Dudgers couldn't capitalize on a Giants loss to extend their lead in the NL West; it remains at 3 games. But at least the Cubs, who defeated the Gints this afternoon, have extended their lead over SF in the wildcard race. Pirates, who currently lead that race, have a 3.5 game lead on the Cubs, who currently hold the lower (second) NL wildcard spot. Gints trail the Cubs by 1.5.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/09/15 at 3:22 pm

It definitely seems that way, yes. In fact, tonight they came from behind to defeat the Tampa Rays.

Too bad the Dudgers couldn't capitalize on a Giants loss to extend their lead in the NL West; it remains at 3 games. But at least the Cubs, who defeated the Gints this afternoon, have extended their lead over SF in the wildcard race. Pirates, who currently lead that race, have a 3.5 game lead on the Cubs, who currently hold the lower (second) NL wildcard spot. Gints trail the Cubs by 1.5.

They just lost two games from the Tampa Bay Rays, even though they're still in first place.

Written By: nally on 08/09/15 at 10:27 pm

They just lost two games from the Tampa Bay Rays, even though they're still in first place.

Yep, due in part to the Washington Nationals also losing. They are still maintaining a division lead.

So are the L.A. Dudgers, in the NL West, even though the S.F. Giants, who are chasing them in the division, got swept in a four-game series in Chicago against the Cubs this weekend. And the down-side of that, to L.A. fans, is that they can't seem to capitalize on those Giant losses to pad their lead. In fact, I just quit watching tonight's game after the floodgates opened in the 7th inning. 8-P

Written By: nally on 08/11/15 at 3:56 pm

Toronto Blue Jays are also on a hot streak. They currently lead the A.L. wildcard race, with the Angels in the lower wc spot. I'd like to see the Jays make the postseason; they are the only team that has not yet seen postseason play this millennium. (Their last playoff appearance was in 1993, when they won the World Series for the second straight year.)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/12/15 at 3:58 pm

For the first time in MLB history home teams won all 15 games:

http://news.yahoo.com/home-teams-win-15-games-first-time-mlb-065223944--spt.html

Cat

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/12/15 at 4:39 pm

For the first time in MLB history home teams won all 15 games:

http://news.yahoo.com/home-teams-win-15-games-first-time-mlb-065223944--spt.html

Cat

MLB seems to be doing great this year with this kind of good news popping out.

Written By: nally on 08/13/15 at 12:44 am

Hisashi Iwakuma of the Seattle Mariners threw a no-hitter in Seattle this afternoon against the Baltimore Orioles.

This was the fifth no-hitter in Mariners history, all five times of which have been at home (2 at Kingdome, both in the 1990s, 3 at Safeco in the 2010s). Iwakuma has become the second Japanese-born pitcher to toss a no-no, after Hideo Nomo (who did it twice, coincidentally the 2nd time he did it was also against Baltimore).

Written By: nally on 08/13/15 at 9:52 pm

Oh...and yesterday the Toronto Bluejays knocked off the Yankees for the AL East division lead! :o :D

Today they won their 11th in a row; this is their second 11-game winning streak this year.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/14/15 at 12:08 am

LOL you're a Mets fan! I'm a huge Braves fan and huge on many other Atlanta sports team, but our Braves are kinda average this year. As you know we're 3rd in the National League East right now.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/14/15 at 8:38 am

LOL you're a Mets fan! I'm a huge Braves fan and huge on many other Atlanta sports team, but our Braves are kinda average this year. As you know we're 3rd in the National League East right now.

Yeah, I know the Mets suck. I don't really root for them that much, but at least they're trying to do well in their division this year.

Written By: nally on 08/14/15 at 1:06 pm

Yeah, I know the Mets suck. I don't really root for them that much, but at least they're trying to do well in their division this year.

...and make the postseason for the first time since 2006. In each of the following two years, they were in position to get there, but they had a late-season collapse both years. This year, they are definitely hot!

Written By: nally on 08/14/15 at 1:09 pm

Yep... they are so so. Of course, they won all those division titles during the 1990s and 2000s, due in part to great pitching... and there were some great hitters on the team too.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/14/15 at 2:39 pm

...and make the postseason for the first time since 2006. In each of the following two years, they were in position to get there, but they had a late-season collapse both years. This year, they are definitely hot!

Well, they might go to the playoffs, since they won a lot of games in the second half, much like any other division leader.

Written By: nally on 08/15/15 at 3:38 pm

Well, they might go to the playoffs, since they won a lot of games in the second half, much like any other division leader.

Oh yes. Their win streak was halted last nite, at the hands of another contending team, the Pirates (who currently lead the NL wildcard race).

Another team's win streak was also halted, namely the Blue Jays. As a result, they gave back first place. >:(

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/15/15 at 3:39 pm

Oh yes. Their win streak was halted last nite, at the hands of another contending team, the Pirates (who currently lead the NL wildcard race).

Another team's win streak was also halted, namely the Blue Jays. As a result, they gave back first place. >:(

Well, at least the Blue Jays are in the top Wild Card standings now.

Written By: nally on 08/15/15 at 3:42 pm

Well, at least the Blue Jays are in the top Wild Card standings now.

There's still time for them to retake the division lead.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/15/15 at 3:47 pm

There's still time for them to retake the division lead.

Well yeah, but they can still go to the playoffs, even if they lose tomorrow's game.

Written By: nally on 08/15/15 at 3:56 pm

Well yeah, but they can still go to the playoffs, even if they lose tomorrow's game.

and there's a month and a half left in the season.

There's also time for my team, the Dodgers, to win as much as they can, and maintain the NL West division lead.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/15/15 at 4:17 pm

and there's a month and a half left in the season.

There's also time for my team, the Dodgers, to win as much as they can, and maintain the NL West division lead.

Well, a month and a half would be okay for them.

Written By: nally on 08/16/15 at 12:22 am

Well, a month and a half would be okay for them.

It's still anybody's game (theoretically)... although some teams are clearly not in contention and are unlikely to win their divisions at this point.

Written By: nally on 08/17/15 at 4:24 pm

Jays back within a half-game of the Yankees (thanks to beating 'em yesterday)... and the Cubs' win streak came to an end at 9 (as the White Sox averted a sweep in south Chicago).

Written By: nally on 08/19/15 at 5:14 pm

Looks like the Dodgers' woes in Oakland are continuing.

The A's, who had lost 7 in a row entering play on Tuesday, and are in last place in the American League West division, beat the Dodgers in extra innings last night, and are on the verge of winning right now. Last time LAD won a game in the Coliseum: July 14, 2001, in extra innings. (Perhaps in 2018 they might finally win a game there again?)

Written By: loki 13 on 08/19/15 at 7:24 pm

Right now the Braves are a little below average. You should hope that they can play slightly above average the rest
of the way because the NL East is flat out horrible. The Mets lead the division, but as of now they are on pace to win
87 games, only 6 games over .500. The Braves are on pace to win 71, but if they can get hot and string together a few
streaks anything can can happen, remember Colorado a few years back. As a Phillies fan I detest all other East teams
but right now none more than the Nationals, so as long as they don't win the East I be all right with that.

Side note: I don't know how true it is but I heard on the radio today that it is all but a done deal, Chase Utley will be
joining his former teammate Jimmy Rollins in LA. Sorry Jeff, another of our older guys who just can't hit anymore.

Written By: nally on 08/20/15 at 5:25 pm

Side note: I don't know how true it is but I heard on the radio today that it is all but a done deal, Chase Utley will be
joining his former teammate Jimmy Rollins in LA. Sorry Jeff, another of our older guys who just can't hit anymore.

Hey, no worries. Perhaps he might be able to hit some more after coming to a new team? It is hard to tell right now, but we will see as the season plays out. I hope that he can be an adequate contribution to my team down the stretch.  Alberto Callaspo, who came to the team earlier this year when Juan Uribe was traded to Atlanta (and ultimately to NYM), was DFA in order to clear a roster spot for Utley.

Written By: nally on 08/24/15 at 2:21 pm

So... Mike Fiers of the Astros threw a no-no on Friday...at the expense of my team. :-\\ :(

Worst of all, my team could not win one lousy game against the Stros this weekend. They even had a lead in the bottom of the 9th in the finale yesterday... but the tying run scored, and the winning run scored in the 10th (against a crappy pitcher by the name of Chris Hatcher). I still think Mattingly is probably going to get fired before the end of the year, unless he steps down himself. At this point I'm not sure.

Written By: nally on 08/26/15 at 1:50 pm

Dodgers finally won a road game for the first time since August 6 in Philadelphia. They beat the Cincinnati Reds 5-1. This, coupled with the Giants losing 8-5 to the Cubs at AT&T Park, re-increases the Dodgers' lead in the NL West to 2 1/2 games.

Written By: nally on 08/27/15 at 2:34 pm

Justin Verlander almost no-hit the L.A. Angels yesterday, but he gave up a base hit to Chris Iannetta to open up the 9th inning, and settled for a one-hit shutout.

Written By: nally on 08/27/15 at 2:35 pm

Dodgers have just completed a three-game sweep of the Cincinnati Reds, after losing the first five games of their roadtrip. Now if only the Cubs could win once more (over the Gints) before coming to Dodger Stadium tomorrow...

Written By: nally on 08/28/15 at 12:13 pm

and the Cubs got hammered by the Gints. >:(

And now the Giants begin a weekend series with the St. Louis Cardinals, the team with the best record in MLB, this weekend in San Fran. Go Cardinals! After that, the Giants travel to Dodger Stadium for a crucial series; this could determine which team begins the month of September in 1st place in the NL West.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/29/15 at 11:39 am

and the Cubs got hammered by the Gints. >:(

And now the Giants begin a weekend series with the St. Louis Cardinals, the team with the best record in MLB, this weekend in San Fran. Go Cardinals! After that, the Giants travel to Dodger Stadium for a crucial series; this could determine which team begins the month of September in 1st place in the NL West.

Well, it's no biggie. The Cubs are still going to the Wild Card game if they still keep up their record.

Written By: nally on 08/29/15 at 1:51 pm

Well, it's no biggie. The Cubs are still going to the Wild Card game if they still keep up their record.

That's likely true. :) And if the Cardinals and Pirates keep up their winning ways.

However, the Cardinals lost to the Gints last night...but have another chance this afternoon. And tomorrow.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/29/15 at 1:56 pm

That's likely true. :) And if the Cardinals and Pirates keep up their winning ways.

However, the Cardinals lost to the Gints last night...but have another chance this afternoon. And tomorrow.

Well, it's not like you should be ashamed that the Cardinals lost yesterday's game. They are most likely to be in first place of their division and most likely become the NL champion this year.

Written By: nally on 08/29/15 at 6:17 pm

Well, it's not like you should be ashamed that the Cardinals lost yesterday's game. They are most likely to be in first place of their division and most likely become the NL champion this year.

I wanted the Cardinals to win, so that the Dodgers (who won, beating the Cubs) could gain a game in the standings on the Giants.

Written By: nally on 09/08/15 at 2:25 pm

Dodgers now 8 1/2 games up on the Giants for the NL West division!! :D

Oh, and the Braves ended a 12-game losing streak yesterday. They are assured of a losing record this season, and are likely eliminated from playoff contention at this point.

Written By: nally on 09/10/15 at 4:46 pm

Last night, Angels averted a season series sweep at the hands of the Dodgers by beating them 3-2, thanks in part to a fielding error by LAD right fielder Andre Ethier in the 8th. Still, the Giants lost, thereby preserving the Dodgers' 8 1/2 game lead in the NL West.

Written By: nally on 09/13/15 at 6:58 pm

David Ortiz: latest member of the 500 Career Home Runs Club.

He's also the fourth player to be in a Boston Red Sox uniform when hitting home run #500.

Written By: nally on 09/16/15 at 8:32 pm

Last nite, Texas Rangers beat the Houston Astros walk-off style to overtake them for the AL West division lead. So now Houston sits in the lower AL wildcard spot. The division and the wildcards are still up for grabs, however.

Written By: nally on 09/21/15 at 8:47 pm

Division races are still very much up for grabs... although the NL East seems likely to go to the Mets at this point, and the Royals are on their way to the AL Central crown.

Written By: nally on 09/24/15 at 8:10 pm

Cardinals and Pirates have clinched playoff spots. It's likely that one of those teams will win the NL Central division, and the other will win a wildcard spot. (Or they could both get wildcards and the Cubs could take the division, as that is still theoretically possible at this point.)

Written By: nally on 09/25/15 at 10:36 pm

Congrats to the Kansas City Royals for winning a division title for the first time in 30 years!! This is their first-ever AL Central title, as there were no Central divisions in 1985 (they were in the AL West back then).

Written By: nally on 09/26/15 at 1:52 pm

So...both NL wildcard winners will come from the NL Central division. This is because the Giants, by losing last night, have been eliminated from wildcard contention. So the NL Central champion and wildcard winners will be, in some order, the Cardinals, Pirates, and Cubs.

Written By: nally on 09/26/15 at 5:59 pm

Blue Jays, by winning today, are assured of a playoff spot!! (They last reached the postseason in 1993, winning that year's World Series for their second championship in as many years.) The worst that they could do at this point is win the upper wildcard spot (in which case they'd host the AL Wildcard Game against whichever team wins the lower spot, whether it be the Astros, Angels, or Twins). The best they could do is win the AL East division.

Written By: nally on 09/27/15 at 12:05 am

And congratulations to the New York Mets for winning the NL East division, achieving their first postseason berth since 2006.

Written By: nally on 09/29/15 at 8:18 pm

Dodgers still not able to win in San Fran this year. All they need to do is beat the Giants once in this series, and the division is theirs. But for some reason they seem to have a difficult time doing so.

Written By: nally on 09/30/15 at 9:50 pm

Dodgers still not able to win in San Fran this year. All they need to do is beat the Giants once in this series, and the division is theirs. But for some reason they seem to have a difficult time doing so.

And they did it last night!!! :D 8) :)

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/12027692_10154260869493508_2335309580763542817_n.jpg?oh=90e72397db2b1e83d46253b9beeac990&oe=569C463A

Written By: nally on 09/30/15 at 9:51 pm

Toronto Blue Jays clinched the A.L. East; this is their first-ever division title in the tri-divisional era (that is, three divisions in each league); and the St. Louis Cardinals have won the N.L. Central, which means that the Pirates and Cubs will get the two NL wildcards in some order.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/02/15 at 3:28 pm

Toronto Blue Jays clinched the A.L. East; this is their first-ever division title in the tri-divisional era (that is, three divisions in each league); and the St. Louis Cardinals have won the N.L. Central, which means that the Pirates and Cubs will get the two NL wildcards in some order.

go CARDS!!! :D  I Hope we beat whoever wins the wildcard and face y'all if you guys win!! Good luck!! ;)

Written By: nally on 10/02/15 at 8:04 pm

go CARDS!!! :D  I Hope we beat whoever wins the wildcard and face y'all if you guys win!! Good luck!! ;)

Speaking of wildcards, the Yankees have clinched one of them in the American League. I'll be rooting for whichever team gets the other AL wildcard, whether it's the Astros, Angels, or Twins (those three teams are in the hunt for the lower one).

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/02/15 at 8:06 pm

Speaking of wildcards, the Yankees have clinched one of them in the American League. I'll be rooting for whichever team gets the other AL wildcard, whether it's the Astros, Angels, or Twins (those three teams are in the hunt for the lower one).

I'm obviously pulling for Kansas City to win the AL. :)  I want to see a I87 series. A 1985 World Series REMATCH!! :D

Written By: nally on 10/02/15 at 8:09 pm

I'm obviously pulling for Kansas City to win the AL. :)  I want to see a I87 series. A 1985 World Series REMATCH!! :D

I was hoping for that last year, after the Giants and Cardinals ended up meeting in NLCS again... but the Giants ended up winning that series...and ultimately, the WS. :P

But this year, the Giants are not going to be in the postseason! :D

Written By: nally on 10/03/15 at 4:46 pm

Royals beat the Twins today, so this means that the Twins are now eliminated from the wildcard race (and postseason contention altogether). But the Angels, who defeated the Rangers in Texas this afternoon, are still in the hunt for the lower wildcard spot (the Astros play in Arizona later on).

Written By: nally on 10/04/15 at 11:18 am

Max Scherzer threw his second no-no this season, against the Mets, who were already no-hit earlier this year. NYM joins my team, LAD, as the two teams to be no-hit twice this year. Both teams will face off in the NLDS, which begins this Friday (Oct 9th) at Dodger Stadium, as the Dodgers have clinched the second seed.

The other NLDS will feature the Cardinals hosting whichever team wins the NL Wildcard Game (which will be played on Wednesday, either in PNC Park or Wrigley Field).

Written By: nally on 10/04/15 at 6:26 pm

Texas Rangers clinched the AL West today, the closing day of the regular season, by defeating the Angels 9-2 (the bulk of those runs scored in the 7th inning, off several Angels pitchers). So this means that the Astros will take the second AL wildcard and battle the Yankees on Tuesday night in New York.

Written By: nally on 10/07/15 at 10:27 pm

Houston Astros blanked the N.Y. Yankees at Yankee Stadium in the AL Wildcard Game last night, 3-0.

Chicago Cubs blanked the Pittsburgh Pirates at PNC Park in the NL Wildcard Game tonight, 4-0, with Jake Arrieta (who led the majors in wins) going the distance.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/08/15 at 10:21 pm

Chicago Cubs blanked the Pittsburgh Pirates at PNC Park in the NL Wildcard Game tonight, 4-0, with Jake Arrieta (who led the majors in wins) going the distance.

Cubbies!  :-*  Way to go Arrieta!  :D

Written By: nally on 10/08/15 at 11:00 pm

And in today's action, both ALDSes started, with the visiting team taking each one.

The Texas Rangers outdueled the Toronto Blue Jays and David Price, winning 5-3.

The Houston Astros opened their series with the Kansas City Royals with a 5-2 victory; there was a one-hour rain delay in the third inning. Both KC runs were solo homers by Kendrys Morales.

Written By: nally on 10/09/15 at 8:02 pm

Both ALDSes have Game Two in the books now.

Rangers beat Blue Jays 6-4 in 12 innings; Jays must win at Globe Life Park on Sunday to stay alive.

Royals came from behind to beat the Astros 5-4; that series is now tied at a game apiece.

Written By: nally on 10/10/15 at 11:16 am

And the NLDS opened with Cardinals shutting out Cubs, and Mets outwitting Curtain Clayshaw and the Dudgers. >:(

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/10/15 at 10:14 pm

And the NLDS opened with Cardinals shutting out Cubs, and Mets outwitting Curtain Clayshaw and the Dudgers. >:(

Thankfully my Cubbies  :-*  knotted the series up today against the Cardinals...

Written By: nally on 10/11/15 at 6:32 pm

Thankfully my Cubbies  :-*  knotted the series up today against the Cardinals...

they did, yes! :)

And my L.A. Dodgers knotted up the series against the Mets... but it took a huge slide from Chase Utley, knocking over NYM shortstop Ruben Tejada in the process of trying to break up a double play in the 7th inning. Tejada suffered a broken fibula and had to be removed from the game. This was a controversial play that some people think might have been "dirty" on Utley's part, but others are arguing that it's just "part of the game."

Without this, Dodgers might not have pulled ahead (they scored four runs in that 7th inning, after the Utley-Tejada incident) and might be heading to New York in a 2-zip hole. Instead, they kept their lead, 5-2, and go to NY with their series tied at one game apiece.

Written By: loki 13 on 10/11/15 at 9:15 pm

they did, yes! :)

And my L.A. Dodgers knotted up the series against the Mets... but it took a huge slide from Chase Utley, knocking over NYM shortstop Ruben Tejada in the process of trying to break up a double play in the 7th inning. Tejada suffered a broken fibula and had to be removed from the game. This was a controversial play that some people think might have been "dirty" on Utley's part, but others are arguing that it's just "part of the game."

Without this, Dodgers might not have pulled ahead (they scored four runs in that 7th inning, after the Utley-Tejada incident) and might be heading to New York in a 2-zip hole. Instead, they kept their lead, 5-2, and go to NY with their series tied at one game apiece.

I've seen the play many times, on TV and youtube. I've read comments on how dirty a play it was. Most people seem to be
in agreement with this and that Utley should be suspended. I am not one of those people. If Tejada didn't break a leg no one
would be talking about the play at all. Utley's attempted slide was a little late but it was still an attempted slide. The rule states
that so long as you can touch the base and you attempt a slide it is a legal play, the play fit that criteria. It is a shame Tejada
broke his leg, no one wants to see injuries but the fault lies on the defenders themselves. The second baseman gave him a bad
flip, toward the third base side of the bag, mistake number one. Tejada reached back for the ball but instead turning toward
first base he tried to spin to get more on the relay to first, mistake number two. It would have been a very hard turn of a double
play. By turning his back to the advancing runner and pivoting on his right foot for a throw he could not jump out of the way
of a hard slide he should have known was coming. He should have remained facing the runner allowing himself to avoid the slide
then tag him out, two there was nearly impossible; get one an survive another play.

Written By: loki 13 on 10/11/15 at 9:29 pm

I just read that Utley was suspended two playoff games. Baseball caves under the court of public opinion.

Written By: nally on 10/11/15 at 11:21 pm

I just read that Utley was suspended two playoff games. Baseball caves under the court of public opinion.

Yep, games three and four in NY. I also heard an update that he might appeal the suspension, but I think the suspension will stand.

I also saw an update on the TV that Utley sent Tejada a sincere apology.

Written By: nally on 10/11/15 at 11:24 pm

Meanwhile, Houston takes control of their half of the ALDS, against the Royals, with Keuchel pitching well for the Stros (who won 4-2); while the Blue Jays avert a sweep at the hands of the Rangers in the other ALDS, winning 5-1. In the Toronto-Texas game, David Price (who started Game One for the Jays and took the loss) warmed up in the bullpen, but did not take the mound; he will also be ready in the 'pen for tomorrow's game.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/12/15 at 4:39 pm

Go Royals!! :D  Astros CHOCKED!!

Written By: nally on 10/12/15 at 9:58 pm

Go Royals!! :D  Astros CHOCKED!!

Yep, that has been a seesaw series.

Blue Jays also stay alive, taking two straight in Texas.

So both ALDSes will require a game five.

Written By: nally on 10/12/15 at 9:59 pm

Cubs also hung on to win their game, 8-6; tomorrow they have a chance to close it out.

As for my team (LAD), well... it started to get ugly early on. I'll be ready to cheer for the Cubbies in the NLCS if my team doesn't make a comeback tomorrow.

Written By: nally on 10/13/15 at 10:07 pm

Cubs are moving on!! :D ;D 8)

They finished off the STL Cardinals this afternoon, 6-4, to win the series 3 games to 1. Also, this is the first time ever in Chicago Cubs franchise history that they've won a postseason series at home!

Written By: nally on 10/13/15 at 10:12 pm

Dodgers stay alive for one more game... they defeated the New York Mets, 3-1, at Citi Field, to even up the series at two games apiece... and carry the series back to L.A. on Thursday; Zack Greinke will start that game.

In tonight's game, Kershaw went 7 innings, allowing only one run (a homer by Dan Murphy); instead of sending him back out there for the 8th inning (he only threw 94 pitches), Mattingly brought in reliever Chris Hatcher, who got the first two guys out but walked the next guy. The bullpen came in and almost messed things up, but a flyout to center ended a potential rally. Kenley Jansen got the final out of that 8th inning, and shut down the Mets 1-2-3 in the 9th.

Written By: nally on 10/14/15 at 11:31 pm

Blue Jays and Royals are moving on to the ALCS!!

The Rangers-Jays game had a few controversies, but Toronto pulled it out; this is their first postseason series win since 1993 (when they won it all).

As for the Astros-Royals game, KC starting pitcher Johnny Cueto allowed two hits early on, and two runs, but he shut down the Houston offense through the 8th inning. Even though it's a postseason game, this was likely his best start since the Royals acquired him from the Reds.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/16/15 at 8:39 pm

I'm a few days late, but congratulations to the Cubs, they deserved it. ::)  My Cardinals just ran out of gas! 8-P

Written By: nally on 10/16/15 at 9:46 pm

I'm a few days late, but congratulations to the Cubs, they deserved it. ::) 

Now, I'm going to be rooting for them in the NLCS, because the Mets vanquished my L.A. Dud-gers. However, Greinke actually did pitch pretty well; LAD just didn't cash in on scoring opportunities in most innings. One play that was likely the difference maker was when there was a runner on first and he moved to second but subsequently took third because no one was covering that base (said runner then scored on a sac-fly to right).

So now the Dodgers have a 27-year streak of failing to get to the World Series...the longest in franchise history. I think they're going to get a new manager next year. ::)

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/16/15 at 10:12 pm

Now, I'm going to be rooting for them in the NLCS, because the Mets vanquished my L.A. Dud-gers. However, Greinke actually did pitch pretty well; LAD just didn't cash in on scoring opportunities in most innings. One play that was likely the difference maker was when there was a runner on first and he moved to second but subsequently took third because no one was covering that base (said runner then scored on a sac-fly to right).

So now the Dodgers have a 27-year streak of failing to get to the World Series...the longest in franchise history. I think they're going to get a new manager next year. ::)

Yeah, Mattingly's time has come, he has done ALL he can do for that organization! ;D

Written By: nally on 10/16/15 at 10:16 pm

Yeah, Mattingly's time has come, he has done ALL he can do for that organization! ;D

Many fans on Facebook think he's been at the helm too long, and they think he should be fired. Sure, they posted a winning record in each of his five seasons at the helm...but he's made way too many costly decisions as manager. Of course, when he was hired for the position, it was before the new ownership group came along. Hopefully they can choose a guy who will be a true leader to manage the team.

Written By: nally on 10/17/15 at 10:48 am

Anyways... Game One of the ALCS was played last night... Royals shut out the Blue Jays, 5-0. Edinson Volquez was sharp for KC, after losing his first three career postseason starts.

Written By: carriefire on 10/17/15 at 2:18 pm

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CH68s6gVEAAMLmf.jpg

Alright Go Cubs!

Written By: nally on 10/17/15 at 4:28 pm

^ Yep...

I was so hoping for a Dodgers-Cubs NLCS. (Of course, I would be cheering on my team... but since they didn't get in, I'm cheering on the Cubs. Starting tonight.)

Written By: nally on 10/17/15 at 10:16 pm

Well...the Royals have taken a 2-games-to-none series lead in the ALCS, as the series heads to Toronto on Monday.

Meanwhile, the NLCS has started, and the Mets have taken game one. :(

Written By: nally on 10/18/15 at 11:01 pm

NLCS Game Two - Jake Arrieta, the leading candidate for the NL Cy Young Award this year, was roughed up in the first inning and the Cubs never recovered. So now the Cubbies go to their home ballpark already down two games to none. >:(

If worse comes to worse, I may have to root for whichever AL team makes it to the World Series.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/19/15 at 6:40 pm

NLCS Game Two - Jake Arrieta, the leading candidate for the NL Cy Young Award this year, was roughed up in the first inning and the Cubs never recovered. So now the Cubbies go to their home ballpark already down two games to none. >:(

It's worrisome all right    :( 

Written By: nally on 10/19/15 at 10:36 pm

It's worrisome all right    :(

I agree. I hope they can do better at home tomorrow night.

The Blue Jays did just that tonight in their home ballpark, Rogers Centre. They won Game Three of the ALCS 11-8 over the Royals, chasing KC starter Johnny Cueto in the third inning.

Written By: nally on 10/20/15 at 10:23 pm

...And this afternoon in Toronto the Royals struck back, chasing starter R.A. Dickey and annihilating the Jays 14-2. Royals now are one win away from advancing to the World Series for a second straight year.

I may just need to root for them if the Cubs don't make a comeback in this series. In the 7th inning of tonight's game, the Mets were jumping all over the Cubbies (due in part to Cahill taking the mound for CHC). If they lose this game (which they just might; it pains me to say this) they will be in danger of a sweep... and in order for them to have any chance at coming back, they're gonna have to do just what the Redsox did 11 years ago (they were down 3 games to none in their LCS... but came all the way back.....and went on to win that year's World Series, breaking an 86-year curse).

Written By: nally on 10/21/15 at 8:56 pm

Blue Jays staved off elimination this afternoon by beating the Royals 7-1. So they will carry the ALCS back to KC on Friday night.

Whichever team wins that series, will likely get my cheering in the World Series, because the NLCS does not look too promising for CHC right now. :-\\ :-[

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/22/15 at 12:08 am

Well,it looks like Back to the Future Part 2 didn't come true after all..... ::) ;D

Written By: nally on 10/22/15 at 7:48 pm

Well,it looks like Back to the Future Part 2 didn't come true after all..... ::) ;D

Thanks in part to Dan Murphy, who has hit a home run in six straight postseason games for the NYM! :o :o

I hope that the Royals OR the Bluejays can cool him off, come next Tuesday night. That's another thing, this World Series will definitely be the first-ever battle of two expansion teams! (Mets were a brand-new team in 1962, when they lost a record 120 games; Royals were new to the AL in 1969; Blue Jays were a new team in 1977.)

Written By: nally on 10/23/15 at 12:01 am

I think they're going to get a new manager next year. ::)

Many fans on Facebook think he's been at the helm too long, and they think he should be fired. Sure, they posted a winning record in each of his five seasons at the helm...but he's made way too many costly decisions as manager. Of course, when he was hired for the position, it was before the new ownership group came along. Hopefully they can choose a guy who will be a true leader to manage the team.

Well... my prediction is going to come true, because it was announced this morning that the Dodgers have "parted ways" with Mattingly. They didn't actually say he was fired; various news articles online indicate that he and the organization were "on the same page", and that he agreed to part ways.

There is a chance that he may manage a different team next year, such as the Marlins or Nationals, who have let go of their respective managers this past season.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/23/15 at 6:10 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhDu6MjvRzw

Cat

Written By: mqg96 on 10/23/15 at 10:27 pm

This rain delay is real fun so far ;D

Written By: nally on 10/23/15 at 10:54 pm

This rain delay is real fun so far ;D

Update... now the game is back... and after Jose Bautista tied the score with a two-run homer in the top of the 8th, the Royals have reclaimed the lead in the bottom of the 8th. Score is now 4-3.

I was kinda hoping that the Jays would win this one, just so there'd be a decider tomorrow.

Written By: nally on 10/24/15 at 12:04 am

Game over. Series over.

ROYALS WIN!!

By doing so, the Royals are the first team since the 2010-2011 Texas Rangers to reach the World Series in back-to-back years.

Written By: nally on 10/28/15 at 12:30 am

And so, after 5 hours the first game of the World Series is finally in the books... in 14 innings, the KC Royals defeat the New York Mets 5-4, on a bases-loaded sac fly by Luke Hosmer.

Written By: nally on 10/28/15 at 10:36 pm

Game Two... Johnny Cueto of the Royals becomes the first American League pitcher in 24 years and a day (Jack Morris, Twins, Game 7 of '91 WS) to pitch a complete game. His hitters gave him seven runs of support to defeat the Mets 7-1 and take a two-games-to-none series lead to New York.

Written By: nally on 10/30/15 at 10:46 pm

Tonight's game is being dominated by the Mets' hitters (primarily taking advantage of seemingly-poor Royals pitching).

Is anyone else watching the games?

Written By: nally on 10/31/15 at 11:20 pm

Royals come from behind in the 8th inning to win tonight's game 5-3 and take a 3-games-to-1 lead in the World Series!!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 11/01/15 at 8:53 am

Let the Royals win. The Mets aren't doing anything besides goofy as hell. The Royals wanted the World Series more than the Mets. Also, considering that this was their second playoff berth since 2014, it makes sense.

Written By: nally on 11/01/15 at 6:43 pm

They have a chance to get it done tonight!! And about last year, they had a chance in the bottom of that 9th inning in KC, but Mad-Bum (of the Giants) shut 'em down. This year it's different.

I'm gonna go watch the game in just a little while.

Written By: nally on 11/03/15 at 12:15 am

Congratulations to the Kansas City Royals!!!

For the first time in 30 years, they have won it all.

In all five games of the series, the lead changed. In Game Five, KC didn't even get on the board til the 9th inning. Mets pitcher Matt Harvey wanted to stay in and finish up a shutout to send the series back to KC, but he walked the first batter and allowed the next guy to double that guy in... so Terry Collins lifted him in favor of their closer, Jeurys Familia, who blew the save opportunity for the third time in the World Series! This was because Salvador Perez, the eventual MVP of the series, grounded out for the second out, and first baseman Lucas Duda threw home to try to double up Eric Hosmer, who reached 3rd base on the first out and tried to score... but Duda's throw was errant to the catcher, so Hosmer scored the tying run.  Finally, in the top of the 12th inning, KC scored five runs to seal the deal. Final score was 7-2.

Salvador Perez became the first catcher to win the World Series MVP award since Pat Borders of the Toronto Blue Jays in 1992.

Check for new replies or respond here...