inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2016 Major League Baseball season

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/04/16 at 7:57 pm

So... spring training started a few days ago, and I thought it would be nice to be the OP of this year's season thread. This is also the final season with David Ortiz, as he's retiring this year.

I may be a New Yorker, but...

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/78/3f/40/783f404a38e57737f68860642802a385.jpg

Edit: Sorry nally, I just wanted to start this thread early if you're reading this.

Subject: Re: 2016 Major League Baseball season

Written By: nally on 03/04/16 at 8:02 pm

So... spring training started a few days ago, and I thought it would be nice to be the OP of this year's season thread. This is also the final season with David Ortiz, as he's retiring this year.

I may be a New Yorker, but...

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/78/3f/40/783f404a38e57737f68860642802a385.jpg

Yep... and my team, the LAD, might not be too strong this year with their pitching (sure, they have Kershaw, but he can't do all the work himself; he's just one person). At least they have a new manager - Dave Roberts (we'll see how well he does in his first season at the helm).

Edit: Sorry nally, I just wanted to start this thread early if you're reading this.

Hey, that's perfectly fine. Thanks for doing so. :)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/04/16 at 8:22 pm

Yep... and my team, the LAD, might not be too strong this year with their pitching (sure, they have Kershaw, but he can't do all the work himself; he's just one person). At least they have a new manager - Dave Roberts (we'll see how well he does in his first season at the helm).

Same with the Cardinals. Although they might win another playoff berth, since they still have Martinez, Wainwright, Matt Carpenter, and Holliday in their roster.

Written By: nally on 03/05/16 at 12:46 am

Same with the Cardinals. Although they might win another playoff berth, since they still have Martinez, Wainwright, Matt Carpenter, and Holliday in their roster.

True. They just have some very good players. And their manager, Mike Matheny, has carried the team to the postseason all 4 years he's managed them.

Written By: nally on 03/19/16 at 12:10 am

I have noticed that the Dodgers have done fairly well in Spring Training thus far, although they lost their game yesterday as well as that of today.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/19/16 at 8:24 am

I have noticed that the Dodgers have done fairly well in Spring Training thus far, although they lost their game yesterday as well as that of today.

The Mets are doing okay. Even though they lost their most recent game to the Nationals.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/20/16 at 1:48 pm

Only two more weeks to go until Opening Day.  :D

Written By: nally on 03/20/16 at 6:24 pm

Only two more weeks to go until Opening Day.  :D

I can hardly wait!

I just hope that my team, LAD, does well... although their starting pitching (or should I say, projected starting pitching) still seems uncertain. They should never have gotten rid of Greinke.

Written By: nally on 03/26/16 at 11:59 am

Dodgers outfielder Andre Ethier injured himself earlier this week in Spring Training, so he's likely gonna be out for at least the first couple of months...so this will likely be a setback for the team. :-\\ I don't see them doing so well without him.

Written By: cool123 on 03/26/16 at 4:11 pm

SF Giants are bound for the World Series this year.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/26/16 at 4:14 pm

SF Giants are bound for the World Series this year.

Well, it could be possible. They did win a World Series on every even-numbered year in the 2010s.

Written By: nally on 03/26/16 at 9:25 pm

Well, it could be possible. They did win a World Series on every even-numbered year in the 2010s.

Yes they did...but it's not guaranteed to necessarily happen this time around. Anything could happen.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/26/16 at 9:28 pm

Yes they did...but it's not guaranteed to necessarily happen this time around. Anything could happen.

True.

Written By: nally on 03/26/16 at 11:08 pm

Yes...the season needs to be played first. At various points during the season, as the races are shaping up, the predictions can become valid or not.  Of course, every team's goal at the start of a season is to win it all.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/27/16 at 6:30 am

Yes...the season needs to be played first. At various points during the season, as the races are shaping up, the predictions can become valid or not.  Of course, every team's goal at the start of a season is to win it all.

Maybe the Giants could either go through ups and downs, since it's hard to win four World Series championships in six years.

Written By: nally on 03/27/16 at 7:43 pm

Maybe the Giants could either go through ups and downs, since it's hard to win four World Series championships in six years.

The Yankees almost did that, from 1996 through 2001. (They were in position to do it in the bottom of the 9th at Chase Field, but the Dbacks had other plans.)

Edit: Correction...they did achieve four WS titles in a five-year span (1996, 1998, 1999, 2000).

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/27/16 at 8:08 pm

The Yankees almost did that, from 1996 through 2001. (They were in position to do it in the bottom of the 9th at Chase Field, but the Dbacks had other plans.)

It was almost easy for the Yanks. Since they won thirteen consecutive playoff berths from 1995 to 2007, six of which led them to the World Series.

Written By: nally on 03/27/16 at 8:10 pm

It was almost easy for the Yanks. Since they won consecutive playoff berths from 1995 to 2007, six of which led them to the World Series.

That's only thirteen. Am I missing something? Guess it feels like more...

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/27/16 at 8:10 pm

That's only thirteen. Am I missing something?

Sorry. It's just that I forgot to edit something in that post.

Written By: nally on 03/27/16 at 8:12 pm

Sorry. It's just that I forgot to edit something in that post.

No worries. :)

Meanwhile, the LAD have just been plagued with a few more injuries... ::)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/03/16 at 9:23 am

Well, I would like to say that today is Opening Day for the 2016 season. Here are the first regular season games that would happen later today.

Blue Jays (0-0) @ Rays (0-0), 4:05pm
  TOR: Marcus Stroman (#6, 25, RHP, 0-0, undef)
  TBR: Chris Archer (#22, 27, RHP, 0-0, undef)

Mets (0-0) @ Royals (0-0), 8:37pm
  NYM: Matt Harvey (#33, 27, RHP, 0-0, undef)
  KCR: Edinson Volquez (#36, 32, RHP, 0-0, undef)

Cardinals (0-0) @ Pirates (0-0), 1:05pm
  STL: Adam Wainwright (#50, 34, RHP, 0-0, undef)
  PIT: Francisco Liriano (#47, 32, LHP, 0-0, undef)

Written By: nally on 04/03/16 at 6:01 pm

Oh yes, 3 pairs of teams open the season today; for a while I'd thought there were only 1 (Mets at Royals, picking up from where they left off last season!), but there are 2 others, as posted above.

So the 2016 regular season is underway now! :D  The STL at PIT game should be finished by now, I think.

Most everyone else opens up the season manana.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/03/16 at 6:15 pm

Oh yes, 3 pairs of teams open the season today; for a while I'd thought there were only 1 (Mets at Royals, picking up from where they left off last season!), but there are 2 others, as posted above.

So the 2016 regular season is underway now! :D  The STL at PIT game should be finished by now, I think.

Most everyone else opens up the season manana.

It actually finished a few hours ago. The Pirates won 4-1 against the Cardinals.

Written By: nally on 04/03/16 at 6:16 pm

It actually finished a few hours ago. The Pirates won 4-1 against the Cardinals.

Thanks. So now one game is in the books!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/03/16 at 6:26 pm

Thanks. So now one game is in the books!

There was also another game that ended with the Blue Jays winning 5-3 against the Rays.

Written By: nally on 04/03/16 at 6:30 pm

There was also another game that ended with the Blue Jays winning 5-3 against the Rays.

Yes, I was wondering about that one. Figured that it, too, would be over by now.

I believe the Mets-Royals game is gonna be on ESPN tonight.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/03/16 at 6:37 pm

Yes, I was wondering about that one. Figured that it, too, would be over by now.

I believe the Mets-Royals game is gonna be on ESPN tonight.

Yeah. It's gonna air on ESPN at 8:37 pm ET.

Written By: nally on 04/03/16 at 6:39 pm

Yeah. It's gonna air on ESPN at 8:37 pm ET.

...which is about an hour away. I might watch part of it.

One thing's for certain...I'm not gonna be able to watch many Dodger games this year, unless they're nationally televised (i.e., by FOX on Saturdays or ESPN on Sundays) or the games are against the Angels (those I can see on the channel that carries Angels games).

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/03/16 at 6:51 pm

...which is about an hour away. I might watch part of it.

One thing's for certain...I'm not gonna be able to watch many Dodger games this year, unless they're nationally televised (i.e., by FOX on Saturdays or ESPN on Sundays) or the games are against the Angels (those I can see on the channel that carries Angels games).

Yeah, I can see that sucks. At least I live in New York City, where I can see both Mets and Yankees games on their sports channels.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/04/16 at 5:52 am

So, I just found out today that the Mets lost 4-3 against the Royals. I'm not sure if they're going to have a comeback against them, since they were done for during the World Series last year.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/04/16 at 5:55 am

Here are today's games.

Astros Yankees 1:05 PM Keuchel (0-0) Tanaka (0-0) Buy Tickets
Giants Brewers 2:10 PM Bumgarner (0-0) Peralta (0-0) Buy Tickets
Twins Orioles 3:05 PM Santana (0-0) Tillman (0-0) Buy Tickets
Mariners Rangers 4:05 PM Hernandez (0-0) Hamels (0-0) Buy Tickets
Red Sox Indians 4:10 PM Price (0-0) Kluber (0-0) Buy Tickets
Phillies Reds 4:10 PM Hellickson (0-0) Iglesias (0-0) Buy Tickets
Nationals Braves 4:10 PM Scherzer (0-0) theeran (0-0) Buy Tickets
Dodgers Padres 7:05 PM Kershaw (0-0) Ross (0-0) Buy Tickets
Blue Jays Rays 7:10 PM Dickey (0-0) Smyly (0-0) Buy Tickets
Rockies D-backs 9:40 PM De La Rosa (0-0) Greinke (0-0) Buy Tickets
Cubs Angels 10:05 PM Arrieta (0-0) Richards (0-0) Buy Tickets
White Sox Athletics 10:05 PM Sale (0-0) Gray (0-0) Buy Tickets

Written By: nally on 04/04/16 at 10:57 am

So, I just found out today that the Mets lost 4-3 against the Royals. I'm not sure if they're going to have a comeback against them, since they were done for during the World Series last year.

Well, they did put the tying and go-ahead runs on in the 9th against Wade Davis. But then Cespedes struck out swinging with the tying run on 3rd to end the game.

Written By: nally on 04/04/16 at 11:33 pm

Dodgers blanked the Padres in Petco Park, 15-nothing! This is perhaps one of their largest Opening Day wins, particularly of the shutout nature, in team history. Clayton Kershaw got ample run support to pick up his 4th career Opening Day win in 6 starts. (The other 2 times, he got a no-decision, but the team eventually won those games. So LAD is 6-0 in the past six Opening Days.)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/05/16 at 5:52 am

Today's games are...

Astros Yankees 1:05 PM Keuchel (0-0) Tanaka (0-0)
Red Sox Indians 1:10 PM Price (0-0) Kluber (0-0)
Mets Royals 4:15 PM Syndergaard (0-0) Young (0-0)
Cardinals Pirates 7:05 PM Wacha (0-0) Niese (0-0)
Tigers Marlins 7:10 PM Verlander (0-0) Chen (0-0)
Blue Jays Rays 7:10 PM Sanchez (0-0) Odorizzi (0-0)
Mariners Rangers 8:05 PM Iwakuma (0-0) Perez (0-0)
Giants Brewers 8:10 PM Cueto (0-0) Nelson (0-0)
Rockies D-backs 9:40 PM Bettis (0-0) Miller (0-0)
Cubs Angels 10:05 PM Lester (0-0) Heaney (0-0)
White Sox Athletics 10:05 PM Quintana (0-0) Bassitt (0-0)
Dodgers Padres 10:10 PM Kazmir (0-0) Shields (0-0)

Written By: nally on 04/05/16 at 6:10 pm

^ Yep, Kazmir makes his first regular-season start as a member of LAD. He wasn't all that great last time out in the exhibition game against the Angels.

And speaking of the Angels, they got goose-egged in their season opener last night against the Cubs, thanks to some strong pitching by Jake Arrieta (last year's NL Cy Young winner) and some power from the Cubs' bats. (With apologies to Angels fans.) :-\\

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/05/16 at 6:20 pm

^ Yep, Kazmir makes his first regular-season start as a member of LAD. He wasn't all that great last time out in the exhibition game against the Angels.

And speaking of the Angels, they got goose-egged in their season opener last night against the Cubs, thanks to some strong pitching by Jake Arrieta (last year's NL Cy Young winner) and some power from the Cubs' bats. (With apologies to Angels fans.) :-\\

Damn, that's bad for them. It's sad enough that they got beaten by the Cubs, a team that hasn't even won a World Series since 1908. That's just pathetic. But what do you know? At least the Angels won the World Series nearly 14 years ago and had it recorded via TV broadcasting.

Written By: nally on 04/05/16 at 6:25 pm

Damn, that's bad for them. It's sad enough that they got beaten by the Cubs, a team that hasn't even won a World Series since 1908. That's just pathetic. But what do you know? At least the Angels won the World Series nearly 14 years ago and had it recorded via TV broadcasting.

Yes they did. I was even rooting for Angels that year, as that was their first time ever (and only appearance, to date) in the World Series. I remember in that sixth game, at Angel Stadium, they were eight outs away from elimination against the Gints, but their offense came storming back, and eventually forced a decider, which they won. The Giants, otoh, would have to wait another eight years before finally bringing a title to the city of San Fran.

Flash forward to today... Perhaps the Angels can do better tonight.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/05/16 at 8:12 pm

Yes they did. I was even rooting for Angels that year, as that was their first time ever (and only appearance, to date) in the World Series. I remember in that sixth game, at Angel Stadium, they were eight outs away from elimination against the Gints, but their offense came storming back, and eventually forced a decider, which they won. The Giants, otoh, would have to wait another eight years before finally bringing a title to the city of San Fran.

Flash forward to today... Perhaps the Angels can do better tonight.

Yeah.

Written By: nally on 04/05/16 at 11:53 pm

Yeah.

At least they got on the board. I saw parts of the game on TV.

I also watched parts of the Tigers-Marlins game on MLB Network. Francisco Rodriguez, in his Detroit debut, blew the save opportunity in the 9th inning, but Detroit untied the score in the 11th to beat Miami, 8-7.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/06/16 at 5:44 am

Today's games:

Blue Jays Rays 1:10 PM Happ (0-0) Moore (0-0)
Giants Brewers 1:40 PM Samardzija (0-0) Jungmann (0-0)
Mariners Rangers 2:05 PM Miley (0-0) Lewis (0-0)
Rockies D-backs 3:40 PM Chatwood (0-0) Corbin (0-0)
Tigers Marlins 4:55 PM Sanchez (0-0) Fernandez (0-0)
Red Sox Indians 6:10 PM Buchholz (0-0) Carrasco (0-0)
Astros Yankees 7:05 PM McHugh (0-0) Pineda (0-0)
Twins Orioles 7:05 PM Gibson (0-0) Gallardo (0-0)
Cardinals Pirates 7:05 PM Leake (0-0) Nicasio (0-0)
Phillies Reds 7:10 PM Nola (0-0) Finnegan (0-0)
Nationals Braves 7:10 PM Strasburg (0-0) Norris (0-0)
Dodgers Padres 9:10 PM Maeda (0-0) Cashner (0-0)
White Sox Athletics 10:05 PM Rodon (0-0) Gray (0-0)

Written By: nally on 04/06/16 at 1:42 pm

So the Dodgers have opened the season with two back-to-back shutouts, including a fine performance from Scott Kazmir, making his Dodgers debut. He went six innings, outdueling his former Tampa Bay Rays teammate James Shields (now in his 2nd year with the Padres; they were with TB together from 2006-09).

Today Kenta Maeda, a pitcher from Japan whom LAD signed in the offseason, makes his MLB debut.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/06/16 at 2:53 pm

So the Dodgers have opened the season with two back-to-back shutouts, including a fine performance from Scott Kazmir, making his Dodgers debut. He went six innings, outdueling his former Tampa Bay Rays teammate James Shields (now in his 2nd year with the Padres; they were with TB together from 2006-09).

Today Kenta Maeda, a pitcher from Japan whom LAD signed in the offseason, makes his MLB debut.

Good for him. Another member of the Dodgers club. As I'm not fond over the Dodgers that much, I'll at least say congratulations to him.

Written By: nally on 04/06/16 at 3:11 pm

Good for him. Another member of the Dodgers club. As I'm not fond over the Dodgers that much, I'll at least say congratulations to him.

Yeah, he's supposed to be really good; he seemed to do fine in spring training, but not so well last weekend against the Angels in that preseason exhibition game. I hope he does well today.

I just know that they're gonna need good pitching to back up Kershaw, the ace; after they got rid of Greinke there was a huge question mark as to who would fill his void. However...Greinke was roughed up in his debut on Opening Day in Arizona the other night.

Written By: nally on 04/06/16 at 11:40 pm

It's official... the Dodgers open the season by means of a shutout sweep over the Padres.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/07/16 at 5:43 am

Here are today's game for the afternoon.

Phillies Reds 12:35 PM Morton (0-0) Stephenson (0-0)
White Sox Athletics 3:35 PM Latos (0-0) Graveman (0-0)
Astros Yankees 4:05 PM Fiers (0-0) Eovaldi (0-0)
Marlins Nationals 4:05 PM Conley (0-0) Roark (0-0)
Dodgers Giants 4:35 PM Wood (0-0) Peavy (0-0)
Red Sox Indians 6:10 PM Kelly (0-0) Salazar (0-0)
Twins Orioles 7:05 PM Hughes (0-0) Jimenez (0-0)
Cubs D-backs 9:40 PM Lackey (0-0) De La Rosa (0-0)
Rangers Angels 10:05 PM Holland (0-0) Santiago (0-0)

Written By: nally on 04/07/16 at 5:57 pm

Dodgers Giants 4:35 PM Wood (0-0) Peavy (0-0)

Dodgers had been leading that one, but Giants took the lead in 6th, on last look. :-\\

Written By: nally on 04/07/16 at 11:32 pm

Dodgers had been leading that one, but Giants took the lead in 6th, on last look. :-\\

Yep. Floodgates opened in the late innings. Gints and Dudgers now tied for first place in NL West, at 3 and 1.

Written By: nally on 04/09/16 at 12:16 pm

In last night's Dodgers-Giants game, Ross Stripling, making his first start with LAD, had a no-hitter going through 7 1/3 innings, but manager Dave Roberts pulled him after making 100 pitches, the last of which was ball four to a Giants batter. Dodgers had a 2-nothing lead at this point, but Roberts replaced Stripling with reliever Christopher Hatcher, who promptly served up a two-run home run to the next batter, thereby tying up the game and denying Ross Stripling the victory! >:( What's even worse, the game went to extra innings when reliever Joke Blanton gave up the winning run.
Bah humbug! 8-P >:(

Written By: nally on 04/09/16 at 8:44 pm

... and today the Dodgers looked like they were gonna lose again, this time due in part to two Giants batters homering off of Kershaw (including Madison Bumgarner, the Gints' ace) and failures to cash in batters who reached on leadoff doubles, but they tied it up in the 9th inning on a misplayed groundball by the 2nd baseman, and went ahead in the 10th inning to win, 3-2.

Written By: nally on 04/10/16 at 10:40 pm

And so, after the first full week of the regular season, one team remains unbeaten (namely the Baltimore Orioles), and two teams remain winless (namely the Atlanta Braves and Minnesota Twins, who will play each other later this year, for interleague).

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/11/16 at 5:43 am

And so, after the first full week of the regular season, one team remains unbeaten (namely the Baltimore Orioles), and two teams remain winless (namely the Atlanta Braves and Minnesota Twins, who will play each other later this year, for interleague).

Yeah, I found out that the Orioles won five games in a row this week. It may be something for them, even though they've been in the playoffs two years ago.

Written By: nally on 04/11/16 at 1:42 pm

Yeah, I found out that the Orioles won five games in a row this week. It may be something for them, even though they've been in the playoffs two years ago.

And two years before that (2012), they reached the postseason for the first time in 15 years. They were a wildcard, though.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/11/16 at 4:55 pm

And two years before that (2012), they reached the postseason for the first time in 15 years. They were a wildcard, though.

Yeah, I remember when they played in the 2012 playoffs. They lost to the Yankees, 3-2 in the ALDS. I rooted for the Tigers to win the ALCS after that, since Jeter got injured in Game 1.

Written By: nally on 04/11/16 at 6:02 pm

Yeah, I remember when they played in the 2014 playoffs. They lost to the Yankees, 3-2 in the ALDS. I rooted for the Tigers to win the ALCS after that, since Jeter got injured in Game 1.

That was the 2012 ALDS, not that of '14.

In 2014 they swept the Tigers in the ALDS and then got swept by the Royals in ALCS.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/11/16 at 6:21 pm

That was the 2012 ALDS, not that of '14.

In 2014 they swept the Tigers in the ALDS and then got swept by the Royals in ALCS.

Yeah, I corrected that mistake.

Written By: nally on 04/14/16 at 7:51 pm

Dodgers lost their home opener Tuesday, but rebounded last nite to beat the Dbacks 3-1 and avoid a losing record.

Oh, and the Braves and Twins are still both winless.

Written By: nally on 04/16/16 at 11:34 am

Twins and Braves finally won a game yesterday!! (That is, their respective games.)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/17/16 at 5:51 pm

Twins and Braves finally won a game yesterday!! (That is, their respective games.)

It actually sucks to be a Twins or Braves fan this season. Although, I could feel their pain with the Mets and Cardinals losing so much.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/17/16 at 5:53 pm

It actually sucks to be a Twins or Braves fan this season. Although, I could feel their pain with the Mets and Cardinals losing so much.

Yes!!!!! My Cards are really struggling this year, it SUCKS!!!! :\'( >:(

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/17/16 at 6:18 pm

Yes!!!!! My Cards are really struggling this year, it SUCKS!!!! :\'( >:(

Even though they're in 2nd place, which isn't that bad compared to the Mets.

Written By: nally on 04/18/16 at 12:06 am

...and both teams completed a weekend sweep of their respective opponents! Twins swept a series vs the Angels at Target Field, and the Braves swept the Marlins at Marlins Park.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/18/16 at 5:45 am

...and both teams completed a weekend sweep of their respective opponents! Twins swept a series vs the Angels at Target Field, and the Braves swept the Marlins at Marlins Park.

Good for them, I guess.

Written By: nally on 04/18/16 at 12:05 pm

Good for them, I guess.

Yeah, after opening the season with so many losses in a row. The Braves were on the verge of matching their dismal mark of 10 straight losses to open a season, set in 1988.

And now, the Dodgers are traveling to Atlanta to play them, for a series that opens tomorrow.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/18/16 at 3:17 pm

Yeah, after opening the season with so many losses in a row. The Braves were on the verge of matching their dismal mark of 10 straight losses to open a season, set in 1988.

And now, the Dodgers are traveling to Atlanta to play them, for a series that opens tomorrow.

Even though I don't like the Dodgers (because they beat the Mets in the 1988 NLCS), I will hope that they beat the Braves.

Written By: nally on 04/19/16 at 6:13 pm

Even though I don't like the Dodgers (because they beat the Mets in the 1988 NLCS), I will hope that they beat the Braves.

But your Mets got revenge on the Dodgers in last year's NLDS; I gotta give 'em credit for that. (Heck, they also beat 'em in the NLDS 10 years ago, by sweeping them out early.)

Right now the LAD-ATL game should be underway.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/19/16 at 6:23 pm

But your Mets got revenge on the Dodgers in last year's NLDS; I gotta give 'em credit for that. (Heck, they also beat 'em in the NLDS 10 years ago, by sweeping them out early.)

Yeah, but it was very brutal towards the 1988 Mets. They were heavy favorites during the 1988 NLCS. We deserved a rematch against the A's that year, since they beaten the '73 Mets with a fairly good team. The Dodgers were assholes to them. Even if the Mets beaten them in the 2006 and 2015 NLDS, it wasn't the same. They lost the 2006 NLCS and the 2015 World Series, which were huge disappointments to their fans.

Written By: nally on 04/19/16 at 6:25 pm

Yeah, but it was very brutal towards the 1988 Mets. They were heavy favorites during the 1988 NLCS. We deserved a rematch against the A's that year, since they beaten the '73 Mets with a fairly good team. The Dodgers were assholes to them. Even if the Mets beaten them in the 2006 and 2015 NLDS, it wasn't the same. They lost the 2006 NLCS and the 2015 World Series, which were huge disappointments to their fans.

NYM also lost the 2000 World Series, to their interleague rivals, the Yankees.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/19/16 at 6:27 pm

NYM also lost the 2000 World Series, to their interleague rivals, the Yankees.

Yeah, but it's not like anyone cared. A lot of people in New York favored the Yankees to win anyway.

Written By: nally on 04/19/16 at 6:33 pm

Yeah, but it's not like anyone cared. A lot of people in New York favored the Yankees to win anyway.

I suppose so. However, I'm sure there are plenty of Mets fans there as well.

There has never been a Dodgers-Angels World Series, but if one ever does come to fruition, I personally would still favor the Dodgers first & foremost, since they've always been my favourite team. (In 2009 there was the possibility of a Freeway World Series, since both teams reached their respective LCSes, but neither one could advance. The Phils and Yankes both had more power, it seemed, as I recall.)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/19/16 at 6:50 pm

I suppose so. However, I'm sure there are plenty of Mets fans there as well.

I suppose Mets fans wanted their team to win the 2000 World Series, but the Yankees kicked their ass throughout the whole series. Their only hope was in Game 3. After that, they just blew it so the Yankees could win their third-straight championship. We wouldn't be struggling if Derek Jeter got injured, just like in the 2012 ALCS.

There has never been a Dodgers-Angels World Series, but if one ever does come to fruition, I personally would still favor the Dodgers first & foremost, since they've always been my favourite team. (In 2009 there was the possibility of a Freeway World Series, since both teams reached their respective LCSes, but neither one could advance. The Phils and Yankes both had more power, it seemed, as I recall.)

Well to be fair, the Angels aren't that good whenever they're in the playoffs. Their only World Series appearance was in 2002. Despite themselves winning that series, they won out of luck. I would also doubt the Angels winning the 2009 ALCS, since Derek, Mariano, and Alex were all powerhouses to the 2009 Yankees.

Written By: nally on 04/20/16 at 12:03 pm

Braves ended up pummeling the Dudgers for their first home win of the season. LAD pitcher Alex Wood, who used to pitch for the Braves, did not receive a hero's welcome; they jumped all over him.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/20/16 at 1:04 pm

Braves ended up pummeling the Dudgers for their first home win of the season. LAD pitcher Alex Wood, who used to pitch for the Braves, did not receive a hero's welcome; they jumped all over him.

They jumped over him because he's with the Braves. That's not cool.

Written By: nally on 04/20/16 at 1:07 pm

They jumped over him because he's with the Braves. That's not cool.

He's not with the Braves anymore. He was traded to the Dudgers last July.

And ever since LAD acquired him he hasn't been very good.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/20/16 at 3:46 pm

He's not with the Braves anymore. He was traded to the Dudgers last July.

And ever since LAD acquired him he hasn't been very good.

Oh. Well to be fair, both teams aren't that good in the playoffs in recent years. Especially the 2012-present era. I call that as a current era, because that's when the Wild Card Game first started.

Written By: nally on 04/20/16 at 4:23 pm

Oh. Well to be fair, both teams aren't that good in the playoffs in recent years. Especially the 2012-present era. I call that as a current era, because that's when the Wild Card Game first started.

Very true.

Although the Dodgers did beat the Braves in the 2013 NLDS... only to fall to the STL Cardinals in the LCS. :-\\

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/20/16 at 4:49 pm

Very true.

Although the Dodgers did beat the Braves in the 2013 NLDS... only to fall to the STL Cardinals in the LCS. :-\\

Yeah. Up to this point, the Braves only been to the playoffs in the current era twice. The Dodgers not only been in the playoffs three times since 2013, but also been to the NLCS once. The Braves haven't been in the NLCS since 2001.

Written By: nally on 04/20/16 at 10:51 pm

Actually...last time the Braves got to the NLCS was 2001, when the Dbacks beat 'em. They beat the Astros in the NLDS, which was the last time the Braves ever won a postseason series.

Flash forward to this year... Dodgers finally beat Braves in extra innings tonight. Tomorrow is the rubber game, with Kershaw on the mound for LAD. The game will start early in the day (noon eastern/9am Pacific).

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/21/16 at 9:55 am

Actually...last time the Braves got to the NLCS was 2001, when the Dbacks beat 'em. They beat the Astros in the NLDS, which was the last time the Braves ever won a postseason series.

Flash forward to this year... Dodgers finally beat Braves in extra innings tonight. Tomorrow is the rubber game, with Kershaw on the mound for LAD. The game will start early in the day (noon eastern/9am Pacific).

Well, I guess it shows that the Dodgers are way better than the Braves.

Written By: nally on 04/21/16 at 6:09 pm

Well, I guess it shows that the Dodgers are way better than the Braves.

...even though there have been times when the Braves had the upper hand on the Dodgers. (For example, during the 1990s, Braves won more games than the Dodgers. They even swept the season series in 1994, when there was a strike that cancelled other games that they'd been scheduled to play against each other.)

Today in Atlanta, L.A. eked out another extra-inning win.

Written By: nally on 04/21/16 at 6:12 pm

Other scores around the majors...

Angels split a four-game series at the Chicago White Sox, beating 'em 3-2 in a day game, thereby winning the first and last games of the series.
Marlins finally won another home game, beating the Nats 5-1.
Diamondbacks walloped the Giants 6-2, to complete a four-game sweep at AT&T Park.
Mariners downed the Indians in Cleveland, 10-7.
In another high-scoring affair, Rays defeat Redsox 12-8.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/21/16 at 6:17 pm

...even though there have been times when the Braves had the upper hand on the Dodgers. (For example, during the 1990s, Braves won more games than the Dodgers. They even swept the season series in 1994, when there was a strike that cancelled other games that they'd been scheduled to play against each other.)

Today in Atlanta, L.A. eked out another extra-inning win.

Yeah, but I'm just saying that the Dodgers are better than the Braves this season.

Written By: nally on 04/21/16 at 6:18 pm

Yeah, but I'm just saying that the Dodgers are better than the Braves this season.

Ah, ok. I understand now. O0  It definitely seems that way, so far.

Written By: nally on 04/21/16 at 11:40 pm

Jake Arrieta throws the second no-hitter of his career, with the Chicago Cubs trouncing the Cincinnati Reds 16-nada!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/22/16 at 6:08 am

Jake Arrieta throws the second no-hitter of his career, with the Chicago Cubs trouncing the Cincinnati Reds 16-nada!

That makes it the Cubs' first no-hitter with double digit runs.

Written By: nally on 04/22/16 at 11:35 am

That makes it the Cubs' first no-hitter with double digit runs.

Yes, they had several home runs to account for it all.

Arrieta's previous no-no came last August at Dodger Stadium.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/23/16 at 7:18 pm

For today's games:

White Sox beaten the Rangers 4-3, with them surprisingly being in 2nd place in the AL Central division.
Astros pummeled the Red Sox 8-3.
Yankees won 3-2 against the Rays.
Nationals won 2-0 against the Twins.
Indians won 10-1 against the Tigers.
Blue Jays won 9-3 against the A's.

Written By: nally on 04/23/16 at 11:06 pm

For today's games:

White Sox beaten the Rangers 4-3, with them surprisingly being in 2nd place in the AL Central division.

...behind the Royals, who lost to the Baltimorioles today.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/24/16 at 10:19 am

...behind the Royals, who lost to the Baltimorioles today.

Well, the White Sox are now in 1st place in the AL Central division. Which is surprising, since the last time they've been to the playoffs was in 2008.

Written By: nally on 04/24/16 at 10:55 am

Well, the White Sox are now in 1st place in the AL Central division. Which is surprising, since the last time they've been to the playoffs was in 2008.

Yes, they won the AL Central division that year, but lost their ALDS to the Tampa Bay Rays, who reached the postseason for the first time in franchise history that year!

The other Chicago team, the Cubs, also made the postseason that year, but were swept out early by my team.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/24/16 at 11:10 am

Yes, they won the AL Central division that year, but lost their ALDS to the Tampa Bay Rays, who reached the postseason for the first time in franchise history that year!

The other Chicago team, the Cubs, also made the postseason that year, but were swept out early by my team.

At least the White Sox won the World Series three years earlier.

Written By: nally on 04/24/16 at 11:12 am

At least the White Sox won the World Series three years earlier.

Yes they did, in 2005, to break an 88-year championship drought.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/24/16 at 2:12 pm

Here are the top 3 Wild Card standings for the National and American Leagues.

NL:

1st: Mets (9-7)
2nd: Cardinals (9-8)
3rd (Tied for 2nd): Rockies (9-8)

AL:

1st: Royals (11-6)
2nd: Rangers (10-8)
3rd (Tied for 2nd): Athletics (10-8)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/24/16 at 3:39 pm

For today's games as of this post:

Mets 3 - Braves 2
Rays 8 - Yankees 1
Blue Jays 6 - A's 3
Cubs 9 - Reds 0
Indians 6 - Tigers 3

Written By: nally on 04/24/16 at 8:58 pm

For today's games as of this post:

Mets 3 - Braves 2
Rays 8 - Yankees 1
Blue Jays 6 - A's 3
Cubs 9 - Reds 0
Indians 6 - Tigers 3

Man, those Braves can't seem to do very well this year so far.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/24/16 at 9:07 pm

Man, those Braves can't seem to do very well this year so far.

Yeah, they're dead last in the NL East division. It's funny, because the Mets were worse than the Braves back in 2009-2014. Even though the Mets finished at 3rd or 4th place. Hell, even people here in New York made fun of the team (despite the fact they've been making fun of them since 1962) when they lost a game. It was torture for Mets fans. They were even terrible during the Subway Series (except for 2013), since the Yankees would beat them every time. This is when Yankee fans try to torment the Mets, by calling them names and sh*t.

Written By: nally on 04/24/16 at 9:13 pm

Oh, and there were two "rollercoaster" games involving NL West teams. The Dodgers beat the Rockies in regulation, but not without the Dodger bullpen relinquishing the lead and having the Rockies go ahead in the 8th; L.A. retook the lead in the top 9th and won, 12-10. And in Arizona, the Pirates had a lead on the Dbacks, but the Dbacks tied it up and sent the game to extras; Arizona had a chance to win it in the 12th but they couldn't come through; finally in the 13th the Pirates scored a pair of runs to win their game, also by a score of 12-10.

Written By: nally on 04/24/16 at 9:27 pm

I'm also glad that the Marlins averted a sweep in San Francisco. They beat the Giants 5-4. Now the Marlins will begin a series at Dodger Stadium tomorrow night, with Don Mattingly as a visiting manager for the first time.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/25/16 at 7:09 am

Here are today's games:

White Sox Blue Jays 7:07 PM Gonzalez (0-0) Stroman (3-0)
Orioles Rays 7:10 PM       Gausman (0-0)         Archer (0-4)
Red Sox Braves 7:10 PM Porcello (3-0) theeran (0-2)
Reds Mets 7:10 PM Iglesias (1-1)       Syndergaard (2-0)
Athletics Tigers 7:10 PM Graveman (1-1) Zimmermann (3-0)
Yankees Rangers 8:05 PM Eovaldi (0-2) Ramos (0-0)
Indians Twins         8:10 PM         Salazar (2-1)         Milone (0-1)
Pirates Rockies 8:40 PM Locke (0-2)         Bettis (2-0)
Cardinals D-backs 9:40 PM Garcia (1-1) Greinke (1-2)
Royals Angels 10:05 PM Kennedy (2-1) Richards (0-3)
Astros Mariners 10:10 PM Fister (1-2) Walker (1-0)
Marlins Dodgers 10:10 PM Chen (0-1) Stripling (0-0)
Padres Giants 10:15 PM Pomeranz (2-1) Bumgarner (1-2)

Written By: nally on 04/26/16 at 11:42 pm

Braves: now the team with the worst record in MLB.

Twins: winners of two straight walk-off wins.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/27/16 at 9:02 am

Braves: now the team with the worst record in MLB.

Twins: winners of two straight walk-off wins.

Damn, that's probably worse than the 1962-1968 Mets.

Written By: nally on 04/27/16 at 11:16 pm

Damn, that's probably worse than the 1962-1968 Mets.

Well, the 1962 Mets hold the record for the most losses in a full season, with 120. The 2003 Tigers came close to that, with 119 games lost. The way things look, this year's Braves could be on pace to come close to those marks.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/28/16 at 8:15 am

Well, the 1962 Mets hold the record for the most losses in a full season, with 120. The 2003 Tigers came close to that, with 119 games lost. The way things look, this year's Braves could be on pace to come close to those marks.

If the 2016 Braves can do worse than the 1962 Mets, then I'll gain some pride of myself being a Mets fan. Even though they just lost 17 games as of this post.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/28/16 at 8:26 am

Despite the Braves losing so much, their catcher A.J. Pierzynski reached 2,000 hits yesterday. This happened during his 19th season.

Written By: nally on 04/28/16 at 7:27 pm

^ Good for him. O0

Meanwhile, the Braves are trying to avert a season series sweep by the Redsox; on last check they were leading in Boston.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/28/16 at 7:31 pm

^ Good for him. O0

Meanwhile, the Braves are trying to avert a season series sweep by the Redsox; on last check they were leading in Boston.

Maybe the Red Sox might beat them later in the game.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/29/16 at 7:31 am

Turns out the Braves avoided their series sweep, when they beat the Red Sox 5-3 last night.

Written By: nally on 05/01/16 at 12:16 pm

Turns out the Braves avoided their series sweep, when they beat the Red Sox 5-3 last night.

...yep, saw that on MLB Network.

This weekend they are playing the best team in the majors, Chicago Cubs, who won on Friday but had their game rained out on Saturday (with a makeup date to be determined).

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/01/16 at 2:16 pm

For the Mets (since I'm rooting for them this year), they're trailing 4-0 against the Giants, as of the post.

Written By: nally on 05/02/16 at 10:52 am

For the Mets (since I'm rooting for them this year), they're trailing 4-0 against the Giants, as of the post.

...and the Giants averted a sweep by beating 'em. :-\\

As for my team, the LAD, we finally salvaged a game in our homestand; Kershaw went the distance and drove in the only run of a 1-0 Dodger victory. (Had L.A. not won the game, this would have been their first-ever winless homestand of 5+ games in franchise history.)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/02/16 at 3:37 pm

...and the Giants averted a sweep by beating 'em. :-\\

As for my team, the LAD, we finally salvaged a game in our homestand; Kershaw went the distance and drove in the only run of a 1-0 Dodger victory. (Had L.A. not won the game, this would have been their first-ever winless homestand of 5+ games in franchise history.)

At least the Mets are still 1st place in the Wild Card standings.

Written By: nally on 05/02/16 at 5:18 pm

At least the Mets are still 1st place in the Wild Card standings.

Speaking of standings, yesterday (Sunday) entering play, all the teams in the NL West division had losing records. But then the Dodgers, Giants, and Rockies all won their respective games to put themselves at break-even to share a three-way division lead. Still, that division can still be labeled the "NL Worst", lol.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/02/16 at 5:22 pm

Speaking of standings, yesterday (Sunday) entering play, all the teams in the NL West division had losing records. But then the Dodgers, Giants, and Rockies all won their respective games to put themselves at break-even to share a three-way division lead. Still, that division can still be labeled the "NL Worst", lol.

The NL East was better than them last year. I mean, at least they were a little bit more competitive.

Written By: nally on 05/02/16 at 5:23 pm

The NL East was better than them last year. I mean, at least they were a little bit more competitive.

Oh yes, I remember. But it's still fairly early in the season, so the playoff races can go in any direction.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/02/16 at 5:24 pm

Oh yes, I remember. But it's still fairly early in the season, so the playoff races can go in any direction.

Yeah, but the NL West could be that bad, later this season.

Written By: nally on 05/02/16 at 5:26 pm

Yeah, but the NL West could be that bad, later this season.

Ya never know.  I do remember it was like that for much of 2005; there were stretches when every team in that division had a losing record, especially toward the end of the season. The Padres won the division that year with an 82-80 record.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/02/16 at 5:29 pm

Ya never know.  I do remember it was like that for much of 2005; there were stretches when every team in that division had a losing record, especially toward the end of the season. The Padres won the division that year with an 82-80 record.

It seemed like an easy win for them.

Written By: nally on 05/03/16 at 6:25 pm

So right now, the Dodgers and Rays are underway at Tropicana Field, with Scott Kazmir facing the team that he began his major league career with; so far with L.A. he hasn't been too great, but he's had his moments. We'll see how he does tonight.

Written By: nally on 05/03/16 at 11:26 pm

...and Kazmir managed to beat his former team: Dodgers 10, Rays 5. Although things did get a little shaky in the 9th inning, when reliever JP Howell (who also played for the Rays once upon a time) loaded up the bases and hit a batter. It took Kenley Jansen to get the last guy out.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/04/16 at 5:34 pm

The Cubs had their 20th win this season, when they beat the Pirates 6-2 today.

Written By: nally on 05/04/16 at 11:59 pm

WTG Cubs!

Written By: nally on 05/05/16 at 12:00 am

Meanwhile, in Tropicana Field, Dodgers had to settle for a split in their two-game set with the Tampa Ray Bays. They are back at break-even (.500). :-\\

Written By: nally on 05/05/16 at 5:58 pm

And the Twins were handed their 20th loss yesterday, when the Houston Astros walloped them by a landslide.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/05/16 at 6:51 pm

And the Twins were handed their 20th loss yesterday, when the Houston Astros walloped them by a landslide.

Damn, the Astros beat them 16-4. Wouldn't be the Twins pitcher that gave those runs away.

Written By: nally on 05/05/16 at 8:08 pm

Damn, the Astros beat them 16-4. Wouldn't be the Twins pitcher that gave those runs away.

As I recall, Phil Hughes was the Minnesota starter. He gave up some of those runs, but the Stros continued to open the floodgates after he was gone.

Written By: nally on 05/06/16 at 12:54 am

Final score in San Francisco: Rockies 17, Giants 7.

It was actually 17-3 in the 5th inning, thanks to a 13-run outburst in the top of that inning! :o

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/06/16 at 5:53 am

For another double-digit run game, the Blue Jays beaten the Rangers 12-2.

The Jays scored five runs in the first inning, and six in the third. Which is how they got most of the runs.

Written By: nally on 05/06/16 at 11:52 am

For another double-digit run game, the Blue Jays beaten the Rangers 12-2.

The Jays scored five runs in the first inning, and six in the third. Which is how they got most of the runs.

Yep, heard about that.

Tonight they begin a three game set against my team, the LAD, with Marcus Stroman taking the mound for Toronto. He will be opposed by Kenta Maeda, who so far has done pretty well for my team.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/06/16 at 12:52 pm

Tonight, the Red Sox would play against the Yankees like always since 1901. Although, it wasn't that fierce like in the 1910s to the early 2000s. After the Red Sox won the World Series in 2004, their fans don't seem to care about hating the Yankees. Although many of them still hate the Yankees, even my grandpa.

Written By: nally on 05/07/16 at 11:29 pm

Cubs are still unstoppable. Today they came from behind to beat the Washington Nationals (currently managed by Dusty Baker, who used to manage the Cubs) 8-5 and improve their record to 23 and 6. Tomorrow Jake Arrieta will try to go 7-0; if he does, CHC would sweep the four-game home series against the Nats.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/08/16 at 9:20 am

Cubs are still unstoppable. Today they came from behind to beat the Washington Nationals (currently managed by Dusty Baker, who used to manage the Cubs) 8-5 and improve their record to 23 and 6. Tomorrow Jake Arrieta will try to go 7-0; if he does, CHC would sweep the four-game home series against the Nats.

They're the only team in this season that doesn't have a double-digit loss count, as of this post. I can't believe they lost only 6 games.

Written By: nally on 05/08/16 at 10:37 am

Oh, and Bartolo Colon became the oldest pitcher to hit his very first major league home run yesterday. He did this to help the Mets beat the Padres 6-3 in Petco Park. Colon will turn 43 later this month.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/08/16 at 11:26 am

Oh, and Bartolo Colon became the oldest pitcher to hit his very first major league home run yesterday. He did this to help the Mets beat the Padres 6-3 in Petco Park. Colon will turn 43 later this month.

I remember my dad cheering for him after he hit that home run last night.

Written By: nally on 05/08/16 at 7:31 pm

Well, the Cubs did sweep the Nationals, but Jake Arrieta got a no-decision, as the game went 13 innings before CHC finally prevailed. Their record is now 24 and 6 (a winning percentage of .800)! :o

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/08/16 at 7:36 pm

Well, the Cubs did sweep the Nationals, but Jake Arrieta got a no-decision, as the game went 13 innings before CHC finally prevailed. Their record is now 24 and 6 (a winning percentage of .800)! :o

It's still the best record for any MLB team in this season, as of this post.

Written By: nally on 05/09/16 at 11:48 am

...with Chicago's other team, the White Sox, having the best record in the AL.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/09/16 at 11:59 am

...with Chicago's other team, the White Sox, having the best record in the AL.

Man there's something going on with the White Sox. Did they get better players or something?

Written By: nally on 05/09/16 at 5:11 pm

Man there's something going on with the White Sox. Did they get better players or something?

One of them is named Todd Frazier; he used to play for the Cincinnati Reds.

There is also Mat Latos, a pitcher who played for a number of different teams; last year the Dodgers acquired him at the trade deadline but couldn't win one lousy game for them; now he's doing quite well with the White Sox.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/09/16 at 5:16 pm

One of them is named Todd Frazier; he used to play for the Cincinnati Reds.

There is also Mat Latos, a pitcher who played for a number of different teams; last year the Dodgers acquired him at the trade deadline but couldn't win one lousy game for them; now he's doing quite well with the White Sox.

That seems interesting. The White Sox were doing average until late April.

Written By: nally on 05/09/16 at 5:18 pm

That seems interesting. The White Sox were doing average until late April.

This weekend they completed a sweep of the Minnesota Twins, who still have the worst AL record right now.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/09/16 at 5:33 pm

This weekend they completed a sweep of the Minnesota Twins, who still have the worst AL record right now.

At least they have one more win than the Braves.

Written By: nally on 05/09/16 at 5:36 pm

At least they have one more win than the Braves.

That's true, they do. They're half a game better than the Braves for the worst record in the majors right now.

Later on this year, the two teams will play each other (for interleague). Two in Minnesota on July 26 and 27; two in Atlanta on August 16 and 17. Who knows, maybe by then they'll both be out of the playoff races.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/09/16 at 6:28 pm

That's true, they do. They're half a game better than the Braves for the worst record in the majors right now.

Later on this year, the two teams will play each other (for interleague). Two in Minnesota on July 26 and 27; two in Atlanta on August 16 and 17. Who knows, maybe by then they'll both be out of the playoff races.

I think it's safe to say that they wouldn't reach high enough to be in the playoff race. I know that you can't predict the future or anything, but the Twins and Braves are basically the worst teams in MLB right now. Unless something happens during the All-Star Break that would change their chances, but that's like winning the lottery.

Written By: nally on 05/10/16 at 7:14 pm

^ Yup. Some teams may start out doing poorly, but then they make a turnaround; conversely, some teams start out really well (for example, winning at least 7 or 8 games before finally losing one) and end up floundering (case in point, the 1987 Milwaukee Brewers). Certain factors can contribute to success or failure, such as team personnel changes (coaching, managers, or players) or acquisition of a player who helps turn things around.

Right now, my team (LAD) is doing mediocre but it is still early in the season yet. They are still missing a few key players, such as veteran outfielder Andre Ethier and a couple o' pitchers. I sure hope Ethier can return to the lineup sometime this year; he is one of their best players, both defensively and offensively.

Written By: nally on 05/10/16 at 7:15 pm

Oh, and the NL Worst Division is still led by two teams with break-even records, heading into play today.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/10/16 at 7:25 pm

Oh, and the NL Worst Division is still led by two teams with break-even records, heading into play today.

Is it the Giants and Dodgers? If so, then wow. I mean, it's like they're trying to spark up their true rivalry back when they were in New York. Man, they were really historical back then. They were like the National League's Yankees and Red Sox. I think they're still like that, only it's cooled down. I'm not sure. I barely care about MLB rivalries, since most of them aren't even worth it anymore. Except for the Yankees and Red Sox, since their fans are really fierce.

Written By: nally on 05/10/16 at 8:49 pm

Is it the Giants and Dodgers? If so, then wow. I mean, it's like they're trying to spark up their true rivalry back when they were in New York. Man, they were really historical back then. They were like the National League's Yankees and Red Sox. I think they're still like that, only it's cooled down. I'm not sure. I barely care about MLB rivalries, since most of them aren't even worth it anymore. Except for the Yankees and Red Sox, since their fans are really fierce.

Indeed it is those two teams.

Another notable rivalry is that of the Cubs and Cardinals, although so far this year the Cubs have dominated pretty much everybody.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/10/16 at 9:13 pm

Indeed it is those two teams.

Another notable rivalry is that of the Cubs and Cardinals, although so far this year the Cubs have dominated pretty much everybody.

It's been tough for the Cardinals to be in the playoff race for the sixth time since 2011. But I'm not sure if they're going to give up yet.

Written By: nally on 05/10/16 at 11:09 pm

It's been tough for the Cardinals to be in the playoff race for the sixth time since 2011. But I'm not sure if they're going to give up yet.

Probably not. Matheny has done a good job managing the team thus far.

Right now they're killing the Angels in Anaheim, 8-nothing. :o

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/11/16 at 9:49 am

Probably not. Matheny has done a good job managing the team thus far.

Right now they're killing the Angels in Anaheim, 8-nothing. :o

Huh. It was a good game for them last night.

Written By: nally on 05/11/16 at 11:58 am

Huh. It was a good game for them last night.

Yep. Final score in that game was 8-1.

In fact, in all three interleague games yesterday, the visiting team won. Tigers beat the Nationals in D.C., 5-4, and the Blue Jays blanked the Giants 4-0.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/11/16 at 12:54 pm

The Mets lost to the Dodgers 3-2 yesterday.

Written By: nally on 05/11/16 at 12:55 pm

The Mets lost to the Dodgers 3-2 yesterday.

Thanks to a walk-off pinch-hit home run by Trayce Thompson. It was LAD's first walkoff win of the season.

Now L.A. is back in sole possession of first place.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/11/16 at 1:03 pm

Thanks to a walk-off pinch-hit home run by Trayce Thompson. It was LAD's first walkoff win of the season.

Now L.A. is back in sole possession of first place.

Good for them. :)

Written By: nally on 05/11/16 at 1:08 pm

So now the Giants and Dbacks are tied for second place at 17 wins and 18 losses. Dbacks are on a surge lately.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/11/16 at 1:15 pm

So now the Giants and Dbacks are tied for second place at 17 wins and 18 losses. Dbacks are on a surge lately.

Damn, it must've been challenging for the NL West this season.

Written By: nally on 05/11/16 at 1:18 pm

Damn, it must've been challenging for the NL West this season.

Yep, right now it could still be considered the weakest of the six divisions.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/11/16 at 1:26 pm

Yep, right now it could still be considered the weakest of the six divisions.

Yeah.

Written By: nally on 05/11/16 at 1:27 pm

Yeah.

Hence the nickname "NL Worst"

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/11/16 at 2:14 pm

Hence the nickname "NL Worst"

lol. I suppose the other divisions should have nicknames.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/11/16 at 6:17 pm

The Blue Jays are now going to the 11th inning after they almost faced a loss with the Giants. The score is 4-4.

The Indians are also going through the same thing, but with 16 innings. Their score is 3-3.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/11/16 at 6:20 pm

As for the Indians game, Marwin Gonzalez from the Astros (which is their opposing team) hit a walk-off home run to end the 16-inning game. The final score is 5-3.

Written By: nally on 05/11/16 at 9:56 pm

The Blue Jays are now going to the 11th inning after they almost faced a loss with the Giants. The score is 4-4.

Gints ended up winning that game on a bases-loaded walk to Buster Posey in the 13th, thereby averting a sweep by the Jays.

Written By: nally on 05/11/16 at 9:57 pm

lol. I suppose the other divisions should have nicknames.

They could, if there was something unusual about them compared to the others.

Written By: nally on 05/11/16 at 9:58 pm

Max Scherzer struck out 20 batters to lead the Washington Nationals over his old team the Detroit Tigers. This ties a mark set by Kerry Wood in 1998 and Roger Clemens in 1986 (and replicated by him in 1996). Wood and Clemens had also struck out 20 batters in their respective games.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/12/16 at 5:40 am

Gints ended up winning that game on a bases-loaded walk to Buster Posey in the 13th, thereby averting a sweep by the Jays.

That gives them a spot on first place in the NL Worst. Along with having an 18-18 record today.

Written By: nally on 05/12/16 at 6:04 pm

That gives them a spot on first place in the NL Worst. Along with having an 18-18 record today.

Yes, that coupled with the DUDgers losing. >:(

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/12/16 at 6:48 pm

Yes, that coupled with the DUDgers losing. >:(

Eh. Not trying to be mean, but the Giants are probably trying to win the division back.

Written By: nally on 05/12/16 at 6:49 pm

Eh. Not trying to be mean, but the Giants are probably trying to win the division back.

Every team's goal is to win its division, or at least get to the postseason.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/12/16 at 6:51 pm

Every team's goal is to win its division, or at least get to the postseason.

Well yeah, but they're doing it fiercely.

Written By: nally on 05/12/16 at 6:59 pm

Well yeah, but they're doing it fiercely.

They most importantly want to overtake the Dodgers, their longtime rivals. Of course Dodger fans, such as myself, don't want that to happen.

And there have been times when neither team has been in playoff contention; or, one team but not the other was in contention.

Written By: nally on 05/13/16 at 1:38 pm

Cardinals swept Angels in Anaheim; now they play a weekend series at Dodger Stadium.

Written By: nally on 05/14/16 at 3:05 pm

...and the Dodgers end the Cardinals' winning streak, finally giving Ross Stripling a Major League victory.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/14/16 at 4:19 pm

...and the Dodgers end the Cardinals' winning streak, finally giving Ross Stripling a Major League victory.

Well, I have no reaction with that. Considering the Cardinals aren't even doing good in the first place, I care more about the Mets than the Cards. As for Ross Stripling, I could congratulate him for that.

Written By: nally on 05/15/16 at 12:07 pm

Well, I have no reaction with that. Considering the Cardinals aren't even doing good in the first place, I care more about the Mets than the Cards. As for Ross Stripling, I could congratulate him for that.

Yeah, Stripling made his debut for the Dodgers on April 8 in San Francisco and had a no-hitter going into the 8th inning, but was lifted after making 100 pitches; the bullpen eventually handed the game to the Giants.

And last nite Scott Kazmir almost went the distance -- he was one out away from ending it -- but was lifted after giving up a two-run homer to Jeremy Hazelbaker to cut the Dodgers' lead in half (5-1 to 5-3); Kenley Jansen came in and got the next guy out to nail down the win.

Written By: nally on 05/15/16 at 12:11 pm

Oh, and the Braves finally won another game yesterday; they blanked the Royals in KC, 5-zip. They are still tied with the Twins (who also won yesterday) for the worst record in MLB.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/15/16 at 12:25 pm

Oh, and the Braves finally won another game yesterday; they blanked the Royals in KC, 5-zip. They are still tied with the Twins (who also won yesterday) for the worst record in MLB.

Both of them still suck this season. I pity for those who root for them.

Written By: nally on 05/15/16 at 12:28 pm

Both of them still suck this season. I pity for those who root for them.

Yep...sure seems that way.

The other day (Wednesday) the Braves won only their second home game.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/15/16 at 12:33 pm

Yep...sure seems that way.

The other day (Wednesday) the Braves won only their second home game.

The Twins won more home games than away games, and they have the same record as the Braves. That's something.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/15/16 at 3:05 pm

Just found out that the Mets are in third place. It probably has to deal with the Rockies kicking their ass for the past few games. It doesn't really matter, since they'll probably have a comeback.

Written By: nally on 05/16/16 at 5:06 pm

Some suspensions will likely be in effect for certain Blue Jays and Rangers players soon...

https://www.thestar.com/sports/bluejays/2016/05/15/blue-jays-brawl-with-texas-rangers.html

I bet Rougned Smell may be suspended several games for his actions.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/16/16 at 5:17 pm

Some suspensions will likely be in effect for certain Blue Jays and Rangers players soon...

https://www.thestar.com/sports/bluejays/2016/05/15/blue-jays-brawl-with-texas-rangers.html

Over a f*cking playoff match? Really? I know some brawls like the Yankees vs. Red Sox incident happen because they hate each other, but the Rangers and Blue Rays are neutral. Why bother with the fighting?

Written By: nally on 05/16/16 at 5:19 pm

Over a f*cking playoff match? Really? I know some brawls like the Yankees vs. Red Sox incident happen because they hate each other, but the Rangers and Blue Rays are neutral. Why bother with the fighting?

My thoughts exactly. Apparently there was some bad blood leftover from their ALDS last October. ::) Still, they shouldn't hold on to petty grudges like that.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/16/16 at 5:22 pm

My thoughts exactly. Apparently there was some bad blood leftover from their ALDS last October. ::) Still, they shouldn't hold on to petty grudges like that.

But it doesn't seem exciting. Like, I'm into MLB brawls (e.g. Yankees vs. Red Sox), but seeing the Rangers fight against the Blue Jays is lame.

Written By: nally on 05/16/16 at 5:24 pm

But it doesn't seem exciting. Like, I'm into MLB brawls (e.g. Yankees vs. Red Sox), but seeing the Rangers fight against the Blue Jays is lame.

The two teams won't be playing each other again until 2017, since they have finished up their season series (they played at Toronto earlier this month, and they played each other in Texas this past weekend).

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/16/16 at 5:32 pm

The two teams won't be playing each other again until 2017, since they have finished up their season series (they played at Toronto earlier this month, and they played each other in Texas this past weekend).

Okay. I don't mind that. It's not like I actually care about them playing. Hell, it's not even exciting for me, since it's just baseball. I'm still into MLB, but the Blue Jays aren't my cup of tea this season.

Written By: nally on 05/18/16 at 11:55 am

Dodgers lost the Freeway Series opener to the Angels by a run on Monday night, in a game that lasted four hours. Last night they struck back, courtesy of Clayton Kershaw, who struck out 11 batters, in a game that only took two hours and some minutes to play. Joc Pederson hit two home runs to help LAD beat LAA 5-1.
Now the series shifts to Angel Stadium, with Mike Bolsinger making his first start of this year (replacing Ross Stripling, who moves to the bullpen). Both Stripling and Bolsinger will be on pitch-count limits.

Written By: nally on 05/18/16 at 12:01 pm

Elsewhere, Braves got rid of their manager Fredi Gonzalez, and replaced him with Brian Stinker Snitker, who was a manager of their triple-A minor-league affiliate. This was their first time firing a manager since 1990, when Russ Nixon was fired and replaced by Bobby Cox, who successfully managed them for the next 20 years before retiring.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/18/16 at 12:27 pm

Elsewhere, Braves got rid of their manager Fredi Gonzalez, and replaced him with Brian Stinker Snitker, who was a manager of their triple-A minor-league affiliate. This was their first time firing a manager since 1990, when Russ Nixon was fired and replaced by Bobby Cox, who successfully managed them for the next 20 years before retiring.

Good riddance. He wasn't a good manager to start with. He basically made the Braves worse than ever. It was like as bad as the 1962 Mets. Only the Mets were slightly getting better every season with new players and coaches. The Braves were doing absolute sh*t during the 2014-2015 seasons after they lost the 2013 NLDS.

Written By: nally on 05/18/16 at 3:26 pm

Good riddance. He wasn't a good manager to start with. He basically made the Braves worse than ever. It was like as bad as the 1962 Mets. Only the Mets were slightly getting better every season with new players and coaches.

And they just might be on pace to do as bad as the '62 Mets. (With apologies to any Braves fans on here.)

The Braves were doing absolute sh*t during the 2014-2015 seasons after they lost the 2013 NLDS.

...and they haven't even won a postseason series since defeating the Astros in the 2001 NLDS.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/18/16 at 4:09 pm

And they just might be on pace to do as bad as the '62 Mets. (With apologies to any Braves fans on here.)

Eh. I'm pretty sure their misery over their team's performance can or can't cope with that.

...and they haven't even won a postseason series since defeating the Astros in the 2001 NLDS.

Even though they were better during the early 2010s, and it didn't matter whether they won a postseason series.

Written By: nally on 05/18/16 at 4:13 pm

Eh. I'm pretty sure their misery over their team's performance can or can't cope with that.

Even though they were better during the early 2010s, and it didn't matter whether they won a postseason series.

Yep, I guess so.

My team (LAD) has played poorly in certain years, most notably in 1992 when they finished with the worst record in the majors that year (63-99).

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/18/16 at 4:59 pm

My team (LAD) has played poorly in certain years, most notably in 1992 when they finished with the worst record in the majors that year (63-99).

I could tell, since four games were cancelled that year because of the LA riots. That seems sad for them, since their city had to witness five days of rioting over the Rodney King case in 1991.

Written By: nally on 05/18/16 at 5:00 pm

I could tell, since four games were cancelled that year because of the LA riots. That seems sad for them, since their city had to witness five days of rioting over the Rodney King case in 1991.

Yep, they were recovering from the L.A. riots. That was part of it. The games actually weren't cancelled; just made up later in the year as part of doubleheaders.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/18/16 at 5:04 pm

Yep, they were recovering from the L.A. riots. That was part of it. The games actually weren't cancelled; just made up later in the year as part of doubleheaders.

Okay. But still, I feel sorry for Los Angeles to witness those riots. Must've been tough for their police department and their mayor at the time. Aside from the Dodgers doing better a few years later.

Written By: nally on 05/18/16 at 5:05 pm

Okay. But still, I feel sorry for Los Angeles to witness those riots. Must've been tough for their police department and their mayor at the time.

It certainly was. :\'( I even remember it well, as it was local to me at the time.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/18/16 at 5:08 pm

It certainly was. :\'( I even remember it well, as it was local to me at the time.

At least the Dodgers had a better record in 1993. Especially with Mike Piazza, who was Rookie of the Year that season.

Written By: nally on 05/18/16 at 5:11 pm

At least the Dodgers had a better record in 1993. Especially with Mike Piazza, who was Rookie of the Year that season.

Yep, they finished break-even that year, 81-81. Piazza led the team in home runs, and was one of their best hitters during the 90s... until May 1998, when he was traded to Miami, who then dealt him to the Mets, with whom he would continue his success.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/18/16 at 5:14 pm

Yep, they finished break-even that year, 81-81. Piazza led the team in home runs, and was one of their best hitters during the 90s... until May 1998, when he was traded to Miami, who then dealt him to the Mets, with whom he would continue his success.

He was also good during the 1996 All-Star Game. It was one of the greatest National League victories in MLB All-Star history. But yeah, Piazza was very memorable when he was in the Mets.

Written By: nally on 05/18/16 at 5:15 pm

He was also good during the 1996 All-Star Game. It was one of the greatest National League victories in MLB All-Star history. But yeah, Piazza was very memorable when he was in the Mets.

And this year he will go into the Hall Of Fame with a Mets cap.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/18/16 at 5:19 pm

And this year he will go into the Hall Of Fame with a Mets cap.

Yeah, I heard. He's going to join with Ken Griffey Jr. as the latest Hall of Famers.

Written By: nally on 05/18/16 at 5:19 pm

Yeah, I heard. He's going to join with Ken Griffey Jr. as the latest Hall of Famers.

Yep, that was announced back in January, and the induction, I believe, will take place July 24.

Written By: nally on 05/19/16 at 7:23 pm

Yep, he received an 8-game suspension (most among all the players involved).

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/19/16 at 7:38 pm

Yep, he received an 8-game suspension (most among all the players involved).

Eh. It's not like he'll avoid facing consequences for his violent actions a few days ago.

Written By: nally on 05/20/16 at 11:03 am

Meanwhile, my team seems to be on a downward trend. ::)

Written By: tv on 05/22/16 at 11:51 pm

Yep, I guess so.

Weird the Dodgers finished last in 1992 since they led the division for most of 1991. I think the Braves caught up to them in September when they played each other and the Braves passed them or stayed tied for the division lead. The Dodgers lost to the Giants on the last day of the 1991 season and lost the division as a result I think.

In a weird twist the Giants with Barry Bonds and Will Clark led the division for most of 1993 and won 103 games that year but lost the division to the Braves who won 104 games! I do believe the Braves trading for Fred McGriff during the 1993 season allowed them to win the division. Without McGriff the Giants would have went to the playoffs and the Braves would have been out golfing early!

Written By: nally on 05/23/16 at 1:01 am

Well, the Dodgers ended their skid today, in a game that took 6+ hours and 17 innings to play. It had mostly to do with Kenley Jansen blowing a save opportunity in his second straight appearance. LAD had several opportunities to break the 5-5 tie afterwards, but could not come through. Ultimately, in the 17th, they scored four runs to win 9-5. So they salvaged a game on their 5-game roadtrip.

Tomorrow they return to Dodger Stadium to open up a brief three-game homestand against the Reds, who got swept in Cincinnati by the Seattle Mariners this weekend.

Written By: nally on 05/24/16 at 6:06 pm

Kershaw went the distance again last night, pitching another CG shutout and putting L.A. back at .500 with a 1-0 victory over the Reds.

Written By: nally on 05/24/16 at 11:22 pm

Jackie Bradley Jr of the Red Sox has now hit safely in 28 straight games. This ties him for 3rd among players who accomplished long hitting streaks in a Boston uniform.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/25/16 at 10:13 am

Jackie Bradley Jr of the Red Sox has now hit safely in 28 straight games. This ties him for 3rd among players who accomplished long hitting streaks in a Boston uniform.

Dom DiMaggio (Joe Dimaggio's brother) has the longest hitting streak for the Red Sox, with 34 consecutive hits in the 1949 season.

Written By: nally on 05/25/16 at 12:01 pm

Dom DiMaggio (Joe Dimaggio's brother) has the longest hitting streak for the Red Sox, with 34 consecutive hits in the 1949 season.

Interesting!

And 75 years ago this month, Joe's record-setting 56-game streak was in the works.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/25/16 at 1:22 pm

Interesting!

And 75 years ago this month, Joe's record-setting 56-game streak was in the works.

Damn, May seems to be a very interesting month for baseball. Even though I think October is the important, since that's when the playoffs happen.

Written By: nally on 05/26/16 at 6:23 pm

Yes, it is. However, many notable things can occur on the field in just about any month of the season.

Written By: nally on 05/26/16 at 6:28 pm

Oh, and Dodgers completed their first home sweep of this year, defeating the Cincinnati Reds, who've now lost 10 straight. (With apologies to any Cincinnati fans here.)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/26/16 at 6:34 pm

Oh, and Dodgers completed their first home sweep of this year, defeating the Cincinnati Reds, who've now lost 10 straight. (With apologies to any Cincinnati fans here.)

Well, it's not that late since it's still May. So I guess it's not that bad for the Dodgers to win their first home sweep of this year.

Written By: nally on 05/26/16 at 6:38 pm

Well, it's not that late since it's still May. So I guess it's not that bad for the Dodgers to win their first home sweep of this year.

Yep, they had started the season by sweeping the Padres on the road (in San Diego)... now they finally accomplish a sweep on their home turf. Not only that, they have a nine-game win streak against the Reds dating back to last August. (That's right, they won three of four at Dodger Stadium from the Reds in mid-August (lost on the 13th, but won the next three), and swept the Reds in Cincinnati August 25-27.)

Next up for them: the Mets, at Citi Field, tomorrow through Sunday. Mets are doing pretty well this year so far.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/26/16 at 7:05 pm

Yep, they had started the season by sweeping the Padres on the road (in San Diego)... now they finally accomplish a sweep on their home turf. Not only that, they have a nine-game win streak against the Reds dating back to last August. (That's right, they won three of four at Dodger Stadium from the Reds in mid-August (lost on the 13th, but won the next three), and swept the Reds in Cincinnati August 25-27.)

Next up for them: the Mets, at Citi Field, tomorrow through Sunday. Mets are doing pretty well this year so far.

Yeah. They're doing as good as they were in 2006-2008, before they moved to Citi Field.

Written By: nally on 05/26/16 at 8:18 pm

Yeah. They're doing as good as they were in 2006-2008, before they moved to Citi Field.

I suppose so. They still have some good pitching this year. We'll see how my team does when they play 'em.

Written By: nally on 05/27/16 at 12:03 am

By the way, this info about him being 3rd on the list was among left-handed hitters who played for the Redsox. Sorry I didn't specify it beforehand.

And his streak came to an end today (Thursday) as his team failed to complete the sweep of the Rockies.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/28/16 at 9:05 am

I suppose so. They still have some good pitching this year. We'll see how my team does when they play 'em.

They lost 6-5 against the Mets yesterday.

Written By: nally on 05/28/16 at 4:00 pm

They lost 6-5 against the Mets yesterday.

Thanks to a walk-off solo homer by Curtis Granderson.

Mets had led the game for the most part, thanks to some good pitching by DeGrom, but L.A. tied it up in the 9th.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/28/16 at 8:15 pm

Thanks to a walk-off solo homer by Curtis Granderson.

Mets had led the game for the most part, thanks to some good pitching by DeGrom, but L.A. tied it up in the 9th.

As of this post, the Dodgers lead 2-0 against the Mets in their current game.

Written By: nally on 05/29/16 at 4:10 pm

As of this post, the Dodgers lead 2-0 against the Mets in their current game.

...and they won, 9-1! Chase Utley knocked in 5 of those runs, 4 of which came on a grand slam. In the 3rd inning, NYM starter Noah Syndergaard threw a pitch behind Utley and was promptly ejected; this prompted manager Terry Collins to erupt from the dugout and argue at the umpires, who then ejected him too.

Written By: nally on 05/29/16 at 4:11 pm

Elsewhere, Yu Darvish returned to the Texas Rangers' rotation after missing all of last year due to Tommy John Surgery. He led the Rangers to a victory over the Pirates.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/29/16 at 4:39 pm

...and they won, 9-1! Chase Utley knocked in 5 of those runs, 4 of which came on a grand slam. In the 3rd inning, NYM starter Noah Syndergaard threw a pitch behind Utley and was promptly ejected; this prompted manager Terry Collins to erupt from the dugout and argue at the umpires, who then ejected him too.

Well, the Mets can have their revenge at 8:00 pm ET in Citi Field.

Written By: nally on 05/29/16 at 4:40 pm

Well, the Mets can have their revenge at 8:00 pm ET in Citi Field.

They'll have to get through Kershaw. I'll be able to watch this game, since it's on ESPN.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/29/16 at 4:41 pm

They'll have to get through Kershaw. I'll be able to watch this game, since it's on ESPN.

Same with me. Even though I live in New York City, I'm on vacation in Connecticut as of this post.

Written By: nally on 05/29/16 at 4:43 pm

I was also able to watch yesterday's game, as it was shown on the FOX network, but I had to leave the house at 6pm PDT to go meet some friends for dinner so I didn't get to see all the run-scoring. But I heard about it later.

Written By: nally on 05/29/16 at 11:18 pm

Dodgers took the series by winning tonight, but Kershaw was denied the victory because the pitcher who replaced him in the 8th inning gave up a game-tying RBI triple to Curtis Granderson... but in the top of the 9th LAD scored two runs off Mets closer Jeurys Familia to regain the lead...and Kenley Jansen shut the door.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/30/16 at 8:48 am

Dodgers took the series by winning tonight, but Kershaw was denied the victory because the pitcher who replaced him in the 8th inning gave up a game-tying RBI triple to Curtis Granderson... but in the top of the 9th LAD scored two runs off Mets closer Jeurys Familia to regain the lead...and Kenley Jansen shut the door.

Well that seems brutal against the Mets. I guess they wanted payback for what they did in last year's NLDS.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/30/16 at 8:49 am

On the bright side, today starts their series with the White Sox at Citi Field.

Written By: nally on 05/30/16 at 12:54 pm

Well that seems brutal against the Mets. I guess they wanted payback for what they did in last year's NLDS.

I guess so. Still, this concludes their 2016 season series.

Next stop for Dodgers is Wrigley Field, to play a four-game set with the best team in the MLB, Chicago Cubs. I hate to say this, but I think the Cubs will have the upper hand in this series in more ways than one (especially with Jake Arrieta set to face them tomorrow (I think)).

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/30/16 at 4:26 pm

I guess so. Still, this concludes their 2016 season series.

Next stop for Dodgers is Wrigley Field, to play a four-game set with the best team in the MLB, Chicago Cubs. I hate to say this, but I think the Cubs will have the upper hand in this series in more ways than one (especially with Jake Arrieta set to face them tomorrow (I think)).

I guess I would applaud the Cubs for that, even though I don't like the team.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/30/16 at 4:56 pm

On the bright side, today starts their series with the White Sox at Citi Field.

In related news, the Mets beaten the White Sox 1-0 today.

Written By: nally on 05/30/16 at 9:07 pm

I guess I would applaud the Cubs for that, even though I don't like the team.

Well they blanked my team today. This means the Dodgers have been shut out in two straight games against the Cubs, dating back to last August 30th (when Arrieta threw his no-hitter).
Oh and for the record, both pitchers of record in today's game were surnamed Wood. (Alex Wood for the Dodgers; Travis Wood for the Cubs. They are not related, though.)

Written By: nally on 05/31/16 at 10:51 pm

I thought the Dodgers might not do so well against Jake Arrieta today. Well, they might have proved me wrong. It was a pitchers' duel for most of the first six innings... but the Dodgers scored five runs in the last two innings of the game (2 in the 8th, 3 in the 9th), after both starters (Arrieta for CHC, Kazmir for LAD) were gone. The Cubs scored none. Thus, for the first time this year, the Cubbies have finally lost a game started by Arrieta; however, Arrieta himself remains unbeaten, as he didn't allow those runs.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/01/16 at 5:51 am

I thought the Dodgers might not do so well against Jake Arrieta today. Well, they might have proved me wrong. It was a pitchers' duel for most of the first six innings... but the Dodgers scored five runs in the last two innings of the game (2 in the 8th, 3 in the 9th), after both starters (Arrieta for CHC, Kazmir for LAD) were gone. The Cubs scored none. Thus, for the first time this year, the Cubbies have finally lost a game started by Arrieta; however, Arrieta himself remains unbeaten, as he didn't allow those runs.

Don't worry. The Dodgers beat the Cubs 5-0 yesterday. So they could okay without Arrieta.

Written By: nally on 06/01/16 at 11:38 am

Right. I saw the score on MLB Network's "Quick Pitch."

I also saw that there were two landslide scores:
Mariners 16, Padres 4
Rockies 17, Reds 4

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/01/16 at 12:54 pm

Right. I saw the score on MLB Network's "Quick Pitch."

I also saw that there were two landslide scores:
Mariners 16, Padres 4
Rockies 17, Reds 4

I remember seeing that score on MLB Live Update, when I was searching up MLB scores. What's more surprising is that the Mariners were in 2nd place of their division in that game.

Written By: nally on 06/01/16 at 2:13 pm

I remember seeing that score on MLB Live Update, when I was searching up MLB scores. What's more surprising is that the Mariners were in 2nd place of their division in that game.

...having been knocked off by the Rangers not too long ago!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/01/16 at 3:07 pm

...having been knocked off by the Rangers not too long ago!

Even though they're in 1st place in the AL Wild Card standings.

Written By: nally on 06/03/16 at 11:30 am

Even though they're in 1st place in the AL Wild Card standings.

Right... and I have been keeping an eye on those as of late. (As well as in the NL.)

Speaking of the Mariners, they were involved in a high-scoring game yesterday in San Diego; they beat the Padres 16-13. (That's more like a football score!)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/03/16 at 12:41 pm

Right... and I have been keeping an eye on those as of late. (As well as in the NL.)

Speaking of the Mariners, they were involved in a high-scoring game yesterday in San Diego; they beat the Padres 16-13. (That's more like a football score!)

I like those games where both teams have double-digit scores. It makes it seem more competitive to baseball.

Written By: nally on 06/03/16 at 1:25 pm

I like those games where both teams have double-digit scores. It makes it seem more competitive to baseball.

It sure does.

Back in 1979 there was one game in Chicago in which the Phillies beat the Cubs by a score of 23-22 (a total of 45 runs in one game!).

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/04/16 at 8:48 am

It sure does.

Back in 1979 there was one game in Chicago in which the Phillies beat the Cubs by a score of 23-22 (a total of 45 runs in one game!).

It would've been cool if a lot of Cubs fans remember that game.

Written By: nally on 06/04/16 at 3:05 pm

It would've been cool if a lot of Cubs fans remember that game.

I'm sure they do. That is, those who were around at the time. Cubs were actually down by 12 runs at one point (21-9), but they overcame that 10-run deficit.

Flash forward 37 years...and they easily won yesterday's game over the Dbacks. Right now, in today's game, they are leading the Dbacks 4-2 in the 6th inning.

Written By: nally on 06/04/16 at 3:06 pm

Dodgers beat the team with the worst record in the NL, the Braves, thanks in part to three solo home runs by Cory Seager.

Written By: nally on 06/05/16 at 10:18 pm

Flash forward 37 years...and they easily won yesterday's game over the Dbacks. Right now, in today's game, they are leading the Dbacks 4-2 in the 6th inning.

Cubs won yesterday's game, btw.

Today, however, Jake Arrieta finally loses (for the first time since last July 25th) as the Dbacks avert a sweep.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/06/16 at 9:48 am

The Mets are going to face the Pirates tonight at 7pm.

Written By: nally on 06/08/16 at 12:08 am

The Mets are going to face the Pirates tonight at 7pm.

That game ended up getting postponed due to rain, but was made up today (Tuesday) as part of a day-night doubleheader. Jonathan Niese beat his former team.

In fact, the Pirates ended up sweeping the doubleheader, winning both games by a score of 3-1!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/08/16 at 5:48 am

That game ended up getting postponed due to rain, but was made up today (Tuesday) as part of a day-night doubleheader. Jonathan Niese beat his former team.

In fact, the Pirates ended up sweeping the doubleheader, winning both games by a score of 3-1!

Well, at least the Mets would have a rematch tonight.

Written By: nally on 06/08/16 at 12:53 pm

Right now, two "matinee" games are underway: Cubs at Phillies, and Bluejays at Tigers.
Rays at Dbacks will be another day game, to start in about two hours' time.

Written By: nally on 06/08/16 at 5:49 pm

Final scores in today's day games:
Cubs 8, at Phillies 1
Blue Jays 7, at Tigers 2
Braves 4, at Padres 2 (this means the Braves avert a sweep in San Diego and end a 6-game losing streak)

Rays at Diamondbacks is still going on; right now it's the bottom of the 9th with Tampa leading Arizona 6-3 (subject to change).

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/08/16 at 6:10 pm

Right now, the Mets are playing their third and final game of their current series with the Pirates. They wouldn't be seeing the Mets again until June 14.

Written By: loki 13 on 06/08/16 at 7:34 pm

It sure does.

1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10    R  H  E
                -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -    -  -  -
Phillies    7  0  8  2  4  0  1  0  0  1  23 24  2
Cubs        6  0  0  3  7  3  0  3  0  0  22 26  2

I listened to the game on the radio. It was an afternoon game during the week so TV was out of the question. When
the Cubs came back I wanted to throw the radio. The Phillies only scored a couple of runs after the 5th, I guess they
figured the had the game wrapped up. If memory serves me right, the wind was blowing straight out to left that day so
I knew no lead was safe.

Written By: nally on 06/08/16 at 11:01 pm

Right now, the Mets are playing their third and final game of their current series with the Pirates. They wouldn't be seeing the Mets again until June 14.

...which is just next week! Not too far away.

NYM salvaged the last game in PNC Park tonight, in extra innings, 6-5.

Written By: nally on 06/08/16 at 11:03 pm

1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10    R  H  E
                -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -    -  -  -
Phillies    7  0  8  2  4  0  1  0  0  1  23 24  2
Cubs        6  0  0  3  7  3  0  3  0  0  22 26  2

I listened to the game on the radio. It was an afternoon game during the week so TV was out of the question. When
the Cubs came back I wanted to throw the radio. The Phillies only scored a couple of runs after the 5th, I guess they
figured the had the game wrapped up. If memory serves me right, the wind was blowing straight out to left that day so
I knew no lead was safe.

Yep, it was a Thursday in fact... and I know about the game from having seen footage of it on MLB Network. In early 2011 the network had a "20 Greatest Games" miniseries, and this was the first one to be shown (#20 on the list, as voted by viewers in late 2010). And yes, the wind was definitely carrying the ball here there and everywhere.

Written By: nally on 06/10/16 at 1:17 pm

Dodgers begin another series at AT&T Park in San Francisco tonight. Clayton Kershaw vs Johnny Cueto. A battle of aces.

Written By: nally on 06/11/16 at 11:28 am

Dodgers begin another series at AT&T Park in San Francisco tonight. Clayton Kershaw vs Johnny Cueto. A battle of aces.

...with Kershaw coming out on top, giving up only 2 runs in 8 innings. Cueto also pitched through the 8th inning, but got no decision as closer Santiago Casilla, coming into the game with the score tied at 2, gave up a solo homer to Justin Turner. Then Kenley Jansen pitched a scoreless 9th to nail down the win. (However, he got the first two guys out, then gave up a double and a walk, but struck out the last guy.)

Check for new replies or respond here...