inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Rio 2016 Olympics

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/27/16 at 2:54 pm

More than 100 leading scientists say the Rio Olympics should be moved or postponed over the Zika outbreak.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-36401150

Subject: Re: Rio 2016 Olympics

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/28/16 at 3:22 am

The World Health Organization (WHO) has rejected a call to move or postpone this summer's Rio Olympic Games over the Zika outbreak.

Written By: nally on 05/28/16 at 4:01 pm

The World Health Organization (WHO) has rejected a call to move or postpone this summer's Rio Olympic Games over the Zika outbreak.

They'd probably have to specify a new location in such a short notice of time. I hope the games can be played. :o

Written By: nally on 07/29/16 at 2:41 pm

Now only one week til it starts!

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/29/16 at 10:46 pm

Now only one week til it starts!
So soon, and I will struggle to watch it all for my television is limited.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/29/16 at 10:48 pm

Russia's weightlifting team has been banned from competing at the Rio Olympics because of doping offences.
Individual sport federations must rule on whether Russians can compete in Rio following the country's doping scandal.
Two of the eight-strong weightlifting team had already been banned for prior violations, and another four were named in the McLaren report into the issue.
Russia's Sports Minister said 272 of the original 387 athletes selected had been cleared to complete in Rio.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/36927077

Written By: Fearsword on 08/02/16 at 4:22 am

Why not just cancel the olymoics this year. The olympics will come again in 4 years but loss of life is permanent.

Written By: nally on 08/06/16 at 6:28 pm

So soon, and I will struggle to watch it all for my television is limited.

I watched a few competitions today, including the Men's Beach Volleyball between Qatar and USA.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/06/16 at 8:25 pm

Just saw some games today. I guess they are having it at Rio.

Written By: nally on 08/07/16 at 12:16 am

I also got to see (parts of) swimming competitions. Didn't take note of who won, though.

Written By: 2001 on 08/07/16 at 4:57 pm

The Canadian volley ball teams 😍😍

Written By: nally on 08/08/16 at 11:53 am

Congratulations to Katie Ledecky of the U.S. for winning the gold in the Women's 400m freestyle swimming competition, completing the course in 3:56.46, a World Record.

In the Men's 100m breaststroke, Adam Peaty of Great Britain set a World Record at 57.13 seconds, with Cameron van der Burgh of South Africa taking the silver and Cody Miller of U.S. earning the bronze.

Written By: nally on 08/09/16 at 6:54 pm

As of right now, U.S. has the most medals, with 22 (6 gold, 8 silver, 8 bronze). China is second with 16 (7 gold, 3 silver, 6 bronze).

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/10/16 at 4:59 am

Record-breaking Michael Phelps extended his tally to 21 Olympic gold medals as he won individual and team titles on day four at Rio 2016.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/36686458

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/10/16 at 5:01 am

As of right now, U.S. has the most medals, with 22 (6 gold, 8 silver, 8 bronze). China is second with 16 (7 gold, 3 silver, 6 bronze).
The updated Medals Table can be seen here: http://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/rio-2016/medals/countries

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/10/16 at 6:35 am

What is news about the water in the swimming pool turning green?

Written By: nally on 08/10/16 at 12:14 pm

The updated Medals Table can be seen here: http://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/rio-2016/medals/countries

U.S. on top with 27.

This includes that of the U.S. women gymnastics team final. I watched that on TV last nite.

Written By: nally on 08/12/16 at 11:39 am

What is news about the water in the swimming pool turning green?

Nothing that I know about. ???

Written By: nally on 08/12/16 at 11:40 am

U.S. still has the most medals overall, with 39 (16 of which are gold - the most of that level of any country too).

Written By: nally on 08/12/16 at 11:42 am

Gymnastics - Women's Individual All-Around:

Ranking Country Athlete Result
1 US Simone Biles 62.198
2 US Alexandra Raisman 60.098
3 RUS Aliya Mustafina 58.665

Written By: Henk on 08/13/16 at 5:34 am

The Olympic Games so far turn out rather disappointing for Team NL.
There's been little to no success in the swimming pool and on the tatami - this in spite of all the optimism beforehand.
Also no medal for the team dressage, where we've been a top contender for the last 25 years.

And then there's the ruckus about Yuri van Gelder... A finalist on the rings, but he was sent home by team management because of breaking rules and regulations and being a nuisance to other (Dutch) athletes. Van Gelder (33), who already missed out on the 2004, 2008 and 2012 Olympics as well for various reasons, tried to get his way by taking the case to court, but he was put in the wrong.

Ah well, there's some good news as well: the gold medals for Anna van der Breggen (cycling, women's road race), Maaike Head and Ilse Paulis (women's rowing) and Dorian van Rijsselberghe (men's windsurfing). Not as much as we hoped for at this stage, but there's still time.

Written By: nally on 08/14/16 at 11:52 pm

Usain Bolt of Jamaica is still "the fastest runner" in this year's Track & Field.

Written By: Henk on 08/16/16 at 1:15 pm

The Olympic Games so far turn out rather disappointing for Team NL.
There's been little to no success in the swimming pool and on the tatami - this in spite of all the optimism beforehand.
Also no medal for the team dressage, where we've been a top contender for the last 25 years.

And then there's the ruckus about Yuri van Gelder... A finalist on the rings, but he was sent home by team management because of breaking rules and regulations and being a nuisance to other (Dutch) athletes. Van Gelder (33), who already missed out on the 2004, 2008 and 2012 Olympics as well for various reasons, tried to get his way by taking the case to court, but he was put in the wrong.

Ah well, there's some good news as well: the gold medals for Anna van der Breggen (cycling, women's road race), Maaike Head and Ilse Paulis (women's rowing) and Dorian van Rijsselberghe (men's windsurfing). Not as much as we hoped for at this stage, but there's still time.

Three days later, and things are looking quite different now. We've added five more gold to our tally:

- an unexpected gold for Elis Ligtlee on the women's keirin (that's some sort of track cycling, if you're unfamiliar with the sport).
- gold medals for Sharon van Rouwendaal and Ferry Weertman in the 10km Open Water Swimming.
- also gold for Marit Bouwmeester in the Laser-Radial class (sailing).
- and last but not least: gold for Sanne Wevers on the balance beam. Never before has a Dutchwoman won a gold medal in gymnastics.*

And the good news is: there's still everything to play for! We've got teams in semi-finals in hockey (both men and women), handball (women), volleyball (women) and beach volleyball (men). We've also got a finalist in the women's 1500m (Sifan Hassan), and we've got Dafne Schippers (for the women's 200m) and maybe Churandy Martina (for the men's 200m). And then there's also BMX (cycling) still to come...

* No disrespect to the women who won the Group Excercise in the 1928 Olympics, but those were entirely different times and entirely different gymnastics.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/17/16 at 8:38 am

April Ross and Walsh Jennings lost in the semi-final to the Brazilians last night and won't be qualifying for gold this year  :(

However, they can still get the bronze medal though.

I'd take Agatha and Barbara any day over anybody else defeating our country though, so good luck to them for the final, and I hope they win gold too as much as it hurts!

Written By: karen on 08/17/16 at 9:56 am

- an unexpected gold for Elis Ligtlee on the women's keirin (that's some sort of track cycling, if you're unfamiliar with the sport).

She's done alright on all the events she's been in.  Well built and muscly isn't she?  The GB cyclists look weedy next to her.

gold medals for Sharon van Rouwendaal and Ferry Weertman in the 10km Open Water Swimming.

I thought van Rouwendaal was going to lose out at the last moment when the boat got in her view of the finish.  She went quite out of her line and I thought the others might catch her.

Written By: Henk on 08/18/16 at 1:29 pm

She's done alright on all the events she's been in.  Well built and muscly isn't she?  The GB cyclists look weedy next to her.

Yes she has, and yes she is. And I'm ever so proud that she won an event (just about the only event not won by Team GB, I think)!

I thought van Rouwendaal was going to lose out at the last moment when the boat got in her view of the finish.  She went quite out of her line and I thought the others might catch her.

I must admit I haven't seen any of the swimming events (be it in the pool or in the open water). Most of those were held while we were on vacation, and believe it or not: there was no television in our accommodation!

Written By: Henk on 08/18/16 at 1:48 pm

And the good news is: there's still everything to play for! We've got teams in semi-finals in hockey (both men and women), handball (women), volleyball (women) and beach volleyball (men). We've also got a finalist in the women's 1500m (Sifan Hassan), and we've got Dafne Schippers (for the women's 200m) and maybe Churandy Martina (for the men's 200m). And then there's also BMX (cycling) still to come...

Well... the men's hockey team lost their semi-final against Belgium (1 - 3). That was quite a bleak and somewhat lethargic performance. And they didn't do much better in the Bronze Medal match: a 1 - 1 draw against Germany (with luck on the Dutch side), but losing on shootouts. So no medal for TeamNL there.

The women's hockey team are through to the final, though, beating Germany after shootouts (that was tense!). Now they'll be facing TeamGB for the top spot.

Handball and volleyball are still underway as we speak.

The beach volleyballers Brouwer and Meeuwsen were beaten by the Brazilian team in their semi-final, although the difference was marginal. All that's left for them is a bronze medal match.

Sifan Hassan finished 5th in the 1500m. She was disappointed with herself - so much so that she was losing sleep over it, and subsequently failed to qualify for the 800m semi-finals the next day. Poor girl!

Dafne Schippers won a silver medal in her 200m race yesterday. I'm sure some of you have seen that happening.
Did you know that she is one of only FIVE Dutch athletes alive to have won a medal in track and field events in the Olympics?!?
In all, there have been only 17 Dutch athletes who have won an Olympic medal in track and field events in the entire history of modern Olympics. One could say that, quite literally, the Dutch have only a one-in-a-million chance of winning a medal in track and field events!

Churandy Martina stunned everyone (including Justin Gatlin) by finishing second in his semi-final, thus securing a place in the final later today. It is his third consecutive Olympic final on the 200m dash, an achievement he shares with... Usain Bolt!

BMX racing is on the way as well. All three men and two women are still in the race for a medal.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/21/16 at 6:03 am

Great Britain's Mo Farah won his fourth Olympic gold as he became only the second man to retain the 5,000m and 10,000m titles.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/36691466

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/21/16 at 6:20 am

Neymar scored the winning penalty as hosts Brazil beat Germany 5-4 on penalties in Rio to win their first men's Olympic football gold medal. The game finished 1-1 after extra time, with Neymar's first-half free-kick cancelled out by Max Meyer's strike.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/36691461

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/21/16 at 8:50 am

I may be a bit rude for this, but today might finally be the closing ceremony for the 2016 Rio Olympics.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/22/16 at 5:25 am

Golf made a triumphant return to the Olympics at Rio following a 112-year absence and the sport's bosses are confident it has done enough to secure its Olympic status beyond the Tokyo 2020.

Written By: nally on 08/22/16 at 4:02 pm

I may be a bit rude for this, but today might finally be the closing ceremony for the 2016 Rio Olympics.

...and it was. I happened to catch part of the ceremony on the TV last night.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/22/16 at 9:52 pm

Four sponsors have dropped disgraced US Olympic swimmer Ryan Lochte, including swimwear manufacturer Speedo and fashion label Ralph Lauren.
They were followed by announcements from skin care firm Syneron-Candela and Japanese mattress maker Airweave.
It comes after Lochte lied about being robbed at gunpoint by a policeman after a night out during the Rio Olympics.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/25/16 at 10:03 pm

Four sponsors have dropped disgraced US Olympic swimmer Ryan Lochte, including swimwear manufacturer Speedo and fashion label Ralph Lauren.
They were followed by announcements from skin care firm Syneron-Candela and Japanese mattress maker Airweave.
It comes after Lochte lied about being robbed at gunpoint by a policeman after a night out during the Rio Olympics.
Police in Brazil have charged US swimmer Ryan Lochte with making a false statement about being robbed at gunpoint during the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/03/16 at 6:16 am

When do the Paralympics begin?

Written By: nally on 09/03/16 at 11:33 am

When do the Paralympics begin?

Next Wednesday, September the 7th.

More info can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Summer_Paralympics

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/06/16 at 5:53 pm

Equestrian rider Lee Pearson has been chosen as Great Britain's flagbearer for Wednesday's opening ceremony of the Rio 2016 Paralympic Games.

Pearson has won 12 Paralympic medals, including 10 golds, in four Games.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/07/16 at 3:43 am

Claims that the classification system for disabled athletes is being manipulated to boost medal chances has been rejected by British Paralympic Association boss Tim Hollingsworth. No advantage was being sought for Britain's 264 athletes in Rio, he said. Concerns have been raised that some Paralympic athletes are being deliberately mismatched. But Hollingsworth said: "We are here to win medals, but within both the letter and the spirit of the Paralympics."

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/09/16 at 2:26 am

After day one Britain have won five golds and 11 medals in Rio:

Steve Bate - with pilot Adam Duggleby - and Megan Giglia won cycling golds, while swimmers Ollie Hynd and Bethany Firth also took golds.

Swimmers Harriet Lee and Stephanie Millward won silver and bronze respectively, while Jessica-Jane Applegate took bronze behind Firth in the S14 100m backstroke.

Scot Andrew Mullen, 19, won bronze and Jonathan Fox claimed silver.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/09/16 at 3:43 am

A Belarus official who carried a Russian flag into the opening ceremony of the Paralympic Games has been banned from the competition. The official violated the International Paralympic Committee's (IPC) ban on political gestures.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/09/16 at 10:45 pm

50-year-old Kazakh woman has won her country's first-ever medal at the Paralympic Games in Rio de Janeiro. Zulfiya Gabidullina set a new world record in the 100m freestyle swimming. China has won most gold medals so far with seven, followed by the UK with five and Uzbekistan with three.

Written By: karen on 09/10/16 at 3:56 am

Sophie Hahn, who won gold in the T38 100 metres, trains in my town.  She went to school here also

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/10/16 at 4:02 am

Sophie Hahn, who won gold in the T38 100 metres, trains in my town.  She went to school here also
There will be a golden postbox in your town soon?

Written By: karen on 09/10/16 at 6:01 am

There will be a golden postbox in your town soon?

Not sure - her Wikipedia page says she is from Nottingham.  She went to one of the independent schools

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/10/16 at 6:06 am

Not sure - her Wikipedia page says she is from Nottingham.  She went to one of the independent schools
Less on costs for your local council?

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/11/16 at 4:47 am

The International Paralympic Committee (IPC) has said it is investigating why the Algerian women's goalball team failed to arrive in Rio in time for matches against the US and Israel.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/11/16 at 6:29 am

Kadeena Cox became the first Briton since 1988 to win a medal in two sports at the same Paralympics as she took cycling gold in Rio.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/11/16 at 8:07 pm

Richard Whitheead, Beth Firth and Jo Butterfield won gold as ParalympicsGB took their overall medal tally to 56 on day four of the Rio Games.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/12/16 at 5:40 pm

Great Britain's Will Bayley and Aled Davies won golds after David Weir missed out on a medal in the first of his five events at the Rio Paralympics.
Bayley, a silver medallist at London 2012, beat Brazil's Israel Pereira Stroh 3-1 in the men's class 7 table tennis final on Monday.
The 28-year-old celebrated by jumping on the table before hugging the umpire.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/12/16 at 7:13 pm

Great Britain's Sascha Kindred, Ellie Simmonds and Susie Rodgers won gold medals in the pool on day five of the Rio Paralympics. Kindred and Simmonds both swam a powerful final 50 metres to break world records in their respective SM6 200m medley race. Rodgers then set a personal best time in the S7 50m butterfly to win Britain's fifth gold of the day. It takes Britain's total medal tally in Rio to 63, with 28 golds.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/13/16 at 8:46 am

Mariyappan Thangavelu won India's first Paralympic gold medal in Rio with an impressive jump of 1.89m in the men's T42 event.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/13/16 at 9:28 pm

Libby Clegg made it a sprint double as Great Britain claimed three golds in the space of 30 minutes on the evening of day six at the Rio Paralympics.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/14/16 at 6:51 pm

Dame Sarah Storey and Hannah Cockroft both won their second golds of the Rio Paralympics, as GB surpassed their London 2012 total on day seven. ParalympicsGB's nine golds on Wednesday took their tally to 43, improving on their 34 four years ago.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/15/16 at 9:28 pm

Former Formula 1 driver Alex Zanardi won a Paralympic gold medal on the eve of the 15-year anniversary of when he lost his legs in a motorsport crash.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/15/16 at 10:07 pm

Dressage riders usually rely on a secret language of minute lower-half squeezes and taps to guide their horse and conduct the choreography.

Natasha Baker's lines of communication are more tenuous.

"I can't use my legs at all when I ride so I have to talk to my horses to get them going," the woman nicknamed 'the Horse Whisperer' told the Daily Mirror.

"I can make the smallest of noises and they know what I want them to do."

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/17/16 at 1:33 am

ParalympicsGB surpassed their London 2012 medal tally of 120 on day nine of the Games in Rio. The team have now won 126 medals, including nine more golds on Friday.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/17/16 at 5:35 pm

An Iranian Para-cyclist has died after a crash during the men's C4-5 road race at the Rio Paralympics. The International Paralympic Committee said Bahman Golbarnezhad, 48, suffered cardiac arrest after the incident on a "mountainous stretch" of circuit.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/18/16 at 8:50 pm

The Rio 2016 Paralympic Games was brought to a close inside a packed Maracana Stadium on Sunday evening.
Singers, dancers and fireworks lit up the iconic stadium before tributes were paid to Iranian cyclist Bahman Golbarnezhad, who died on Saturday.
Sir Philip Craven, International Paralympic Committee president, said the movement was "united in grief".
Referring to the success of the Games, Craven said the Rio Paralympics were "uniquely Brazilian and wondrous".

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/19/16 at 7:46 pm

A homecoming parade for Team GB's triumphant Olympic and Paralympic stars will be held in Manchester on 17 October. It will be followed by a grand celebration in London the next day. Full details of the celebrations have yet to be released.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/21/16 at 9:46 pm

Two Mongolian wrestling coaches who stripped in protest at a judges' decision during the Rio Olympics have been suspended for three years. Tserenbaatar Tsogbayar and Byambarinchen Bayaraa protested after officials ruled against Ganzorigiin Mandakhnaran in the bronze-medal match. The pair have been banned by United World Wrestling from all international competition until August 2019. Mongolia's national body has also been fined 50,000 Swiss francs (£39,324).

Check for new replies or respond here...